home

Author Topic: Man O' War  (Read 2108 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Man O' War
« on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
<I don't see a place for non-WFB games set in the WFB universe... but feel free to move this wherever it should go.>

Anyone ever play Man O' War? While I wasn't a fan of WFB, I absolutely loved Man O' War, and I put it up there in my top three with Epic and Warhammer Quest. I know the mechanics and all the counters make it kind of clunky by today's standards, but its still an amazing game, and because of the way ships take damage, I have never seen any two games go alike. Each ends up with different sets of problems. And you don't need a lot of models to play either. The rulebooks are really fun too. Nigel Stillman did a great job writing them and keeps the game light-hearted and fun.

Its still one of my most prized possessions. Its not the first game I reach for though because I am afraid of people messing up my models.  :-(

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Man O' War
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »
Haven't played it i years, but it was fun when I did.  I mostly had Empire and Bretonian ships fighting each other, sometimes Greenskins, I recall having a game with Dark Elves too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »
My friends and I used to joke that Slaanesh hell-slicers could fly if they spun their blades fast enough

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 06:39:56 AM »
I loved playing Empire in Man O War! They were so much fun and the ships looked cool.  It was one of those "jump the shark" games though when they came out with new fleets that made the old ones crap. :)  The Chaos Dwarf navy was insane!  Really they have a Navy? :)
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
If I recall, the DE and CD were both a bit over powered.  It is why I remember sticking mostly to Empire, Brets, and O&G.  Although seem to recall O&G wasn't perfect either, but it has been a long time.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
Yeah there is a lot of hit and miss in Man O' War, but I don't take the game as seriously as I do other games where I might be more concerned with balance. Man O' War is pure fun to me, and there is so much character in the fleets, even if some border on ridiculous. I have heard even modern GW criticize the Bretonnians for having cannons, for example. Maybe they should have trebuchets but who cares. In all honesty I hardly think in a real world setting, that the Bretonnians themselves wouldn't adopt Empire cannon anyway. Or even the Elves, but whatever. Should the Skaven even have a fleet? Who cares? Its fun!

The thing that amazes me still is that with the limited number of ship types for each fleet, how whatever strategy you might try to employ gets thrown out the window when ships start taking damage, making each game different than the one before it. You can have three ships of the line, each with a different damaged area, completely mess up what you are trying to do with them. And the scenarios are really fun too. I normally don't bother with many for most games but I made it a point to play all of them.

Then the expansion sets... geez. They add so many layers it can be a little overwhelming remembering all that can do what, but that can be a joy too. When you look at the basic game, you think, "Oh there is not much to this" but there is a ton of game in that starter set, but the expansions just kick it out to infinity. Then you ally different fleets and come up with different combinations and so on. Its pretty remarkable.

It just seems to have so much covered. Even the Man O' War cards, giving you a way to even out points between opposing fleets, and the variety  in the cards. Those kind of mechanics are long gone and are probably never coming back. I can see why, and understand, but at the same time these older games just have so much more character, and Man O' War just oozes character. I don't know many games where a single model like the Great Winged Terror or Black Ark are so visually imposing on a game board yet so small compared to something like a 40k Baneblade.

There were some great supporting articles in White Dwarf too, like for different kinds of shore forts. I have some Citadel Journal articles too introducing Undead fleets as well, and some other goodies. The cool thing is that the writers knew no models would ever be made so they based the ships off existing models from various fleets you could just customize.

I had some hope for Dreadfleet, but I heard it was terrible and not what Man O' War was. I did however, pick up the gorgeous play mat that was included in the game and I use that for Man O' War.

I think if my house was on fire and I could only grab three games, they would be Man O' War, Warhammer Quest, and Epic Space Marine v2. Its kind of amusing how much I like Man O' War and Warhammer Quest, both set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe, but I never got into WFB until recently. Man O' War and WQ are light-hearted, fun games, and I wonder if WFB around those days was the same. Things def got darker in 6th, I can tell that.