home

Author Topic: The Lore of Life  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Mentat

• Members
The Lore of Life
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »

The Lore of Life is considered one of the weaker lores from what I have read on the net.  However I tried a Jade wizard last week and it worked out great.  I was playing dwarves.  When we set up terrain, I made sure I placed a forest, pond and hill, and my opponent placed a hill and a forest.  I got Rain Lord and the spell that does damage from a hill.  These spells were absolutely great against the dwarves.  I shut down an entire flank by soaking a handgunner unit and a cannon.  I went on to win the game with a massacre.  Has anyone else actually tried using this lore ????

Quote from: chinaryan
They are just drunk midgets...kill them all.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: The Lore of Life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »
Jade magic isn't that bad, but it used to be amazingly good. Especially the old version of howler wind, which could be a game winner. So, many people dislike it now because it isn't nearly as powerful as it used to be.

I made sure I placed a forest, pond and hill

That's great if you can manage it, but you can't depend on having suitable terrain.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »
If you normally use a lot of terrain then it's a wonderful lore.  It's very situational though, which is why many don't like it.  I guess with the thoughts of past glories now gone with the amendments to it, it will gain ire from some.  However, if you are a fluff bunny and you like using it for whatever reason that fits your fluff then do so by all means.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:58:21 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
I think it would be better if the first spell wasn't so crummy.  The default spell always decides the lore for me, because it is the only one you can count on having. *mumbles something about how stupid it is that your wizard knows random spells*
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
Agreed. A considerable argument for Beasts, Metal, and Heaven in my eyes.

And for playing VC :icon_confused:.

Offline chinaryan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
I love using this lore versus my Wood elf friends. I keep putting down hills and water while they put down the trees...then I use it against them.

The best are ones that get rid of range, but the movement rules can be nice. Ultimate versus WE is when they try to hide things in the forest and you blast them with it.
As for Arnold and Sigmar, please do not forget Ulric I think Chuck Norris is what he goes by now.-Swartzgraf

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

The Lore of Life is considered one of the weaker lores from what I have read on the net.  However I tried a Jade wizard last week and it worked out great.  I was playing dwarves.  When we set up terrain, I made sure I placed a forest, pond and hill, and my opponent placed a hill and a forest.  I got Rain Lord and the spell that does damage from a hill.  These spells were absolutely great against the dwarves.  I shut down an entire flank by soaking a handgunner unit and a cannon.  I went on to win the game with a massacre.  Has anyone else actually tried using this lore ????

Ahem... Just in case you haven't looked already:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/warroom/magica/

:engel:

Your Lore of Powder Monkey
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline Mentat

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »

The Lore of Life is considered one of the weaker lores from what I have read on the net

Ahem... Just in case you haven't looked already:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/warroom/magica/

:engel:

Your Lore of Powder Monkey

Yes I have read it, its awesome.  In general it seems some consider the lore of Life weak.  I have managed to get minis for all 8 colleges, foot and mounted, so I have been experimenting with some of the lores I don't use often.  The Jade wizard worked out great, so thats why I posted.  It doesn't seem that you often hear about a Jade wizard in a battle report.

Offline Mathias von Hochland

• Members
  • Burninating since '03
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
How about Lore o' Life Wizard Lord on pegasus. Admittedly, it'd only work against low-shooting armies, but it'd really mitigate some of the range issues; you'd also create an "ultimate" march blocker using Mistress of the Marsh.

:icon_eek: I just realised! Howler Wind and Rain Lord weaken enemy shooting. Meaning the Wizard Lord could also be effective against mid-shooting too.

Hmmm, I might have to test my hypothesis...
You, sir, command my respect for showing this amount of testicular fortitude!
Take me on in mortal combat!

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
How about Lore o' Life Wizard Lord on pegasus. Admittedly, it'd only work against low-shooting armies, but it'd really mitigate some of the range issues; you'd also create an "ultimate" march blocker using Mistress of the Marsh.

:icon_eek: I just realised! Howler Wind and Rain Lord weaken enemy shooting. Meaning the Wizard Lord could also be effective against mid-shooting too.

Hmmm, I might have to test my hypothesis...

Urgh. A Lord on peg that utilizes the weak spots of the lore and doesn't need the strong aspects (= no range)...? You, sir, command my respect for showing this amount of testicular fortitude!

Your awed PM
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline chinaryan

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 01:39:36 AM »
Mathias = Strongbad?

Go trogdor!
As for Arnold and Sigmar, please do not forget Ulric I think Chuck Norris is what he goes by now.-Swartzgraf

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:53:19 AM »
I love using this lore versus my Wood elf friends. I keep putting down hills and water while they put down the trees...then I use it against them.

The best are ones that get rid of range, but the movement rules can be nice. Ultimate versus WE is when they try to hide things in the forest and you blast them with it.
Well Master of the wood/stone depends on having line of sight unlike their lore despite having a higher casting value and not being able to move terrain and not being the default spell. :eusa_wall:
Still it slows them down, hurts their shooting, and can do some damage so can mess with them pretty nicely.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »
The 6th ed revised lore of life was good.  But GW ruined it in the 7th ed. 

The healing spell sucks (especially since they dropped a damage spell for it), howler wind no longer slows movement, and the two damage spells are less powerful (as if thier limited utility didn't already suck). 

And yes, mistress of the marsh SUCKS.  Not as bad as Phas illumination, though. 
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Conrad_of_Stirland

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
I once used mistress of the marsh to stop an entire army from getting across a river cause it was a tourney with a diagonal deployment. Still not really useful though since the damage spells arent good. It is worth thinking about for things that might be hard to get at cause the sit way back on hills or run around forests if the terrain is appropriate. (surely most people use woods and forests). Having said that I dont use it any more but this thread has sparked my interest in trying it.
My General once fled the board on turn two twice in one day.
For all that, my faith in the Empire is unbending.

Offline Mentat

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
The Lore of Life seems to be very situational.  We use the alternate placing method for setting up terrain, and my opponent was trying to get a hill in his deployment zone and placed a forest and pond to try to break up my advance.  I placed a hill near the center just outside of the deployment zone opposite the one where he placed the hill.  I got to choose my deployment zone and chose the one with the hill in it.  So he had a hill just in front of the middle of his deployment zone, a woods in his deployment zone, and a pond on his right.  I think it says in the rulebook to place 4-6 pieces of terrain for the size of table/battle we were playing.  I selected my lore when I wrote the army list, and rolled spells AFTER setting terrain up (not sure if it should be before or after).  I wouldn't try this in a tournament where terrain is scarce!!! 

Offline adalbrecht_lefferhof

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »
personally I think that LoL is pretty cool. Usually I field 2 wizards, 1 life and 1 beasts. LoL may not be the most offensive lore in the game but because of the way it works you can potentially attack units and such where ever they are on the table depending on the terrain.

I regularly play against a lizardman player and it is invaluable against him, I have marshed Cold One cavalry and over run them in HtH, nerfed his multiple shot skinks with howler wind (wizard in the centre of a large line of troops, over 100 infantry that he couldn't target), killed priests and sneaky scar veterans trying to creep around the edges of woods, in fact the only one I haven't ever needed is the healing spell.

I much prefer this lore over the more overtly violent ones such as Fire.
It was an ambush. Worse of all it was an ambush before lunch.