home

Author Topic: Collection of Recent Conversions, with Question (Picture Heavy)  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
Ok, so to keep it short, here are some of my recent conversions, all pretty basic, but done to give variety to my figures, so that there are few duplications as possible.

First off, where I have my question, is my Pistoliers.  They aren't really converted much, but I used various heads from the 6th edition figures because Im not much of a fan of the new figure's heads.  However, after give them a good look again, they look to be a bit small for the bodies.  So my question to you guys is, do you agree?  If so, I will gladly use the new heads, so the scale is correct.

Here are some Halberdiers, with arm conversions from various sword arms, and arms from the out of print metal crossbow and hangunner arms.

Next, are some swordsman, with every figure looking differnt.  Credit is due to Douchie for the figures with the newest swordsman arms, as I loved the look of his, and just had to have some of my own.

And finally some Flagellants, all given new weapons.  3 of the figures are from Mordheim, various Witch hunter figures.  The larger flails are from the 6th edition Night Goblin Fanatics.

O and just a side note, the pictures were taken on my bed, hence the uneven placement of the figures.  :-P

Enjoy and comments are always appreciated! :-D
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Re: Collection of Recent Conversions, with Question (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:50 AM »
Hey volt, the only pistolier who's head is really too small is the trumpeter.  That's always been a tiny head.  The new pistoliers are real gorillas, so in the future you may want to use some of the larger heads in your collection. 

If you know a 40k player who has catachans, they have some great heads in a slightly larger size.  If you check my blog you'll see I used a catachan head for my KLarl Franz conversion.  It's on a similarly sized body, so I used the larger catachan head and gave him a fancy hat.

I must say that I'm not wild about using the handgunner/crossbowmen arms for swordsmen.  Seems like a waste to me, while not making the mini's look any more distinctive than the commonly available plastic arms.  Those are a nice trade item, especially since they're now unavailable, even from mail order.  Plastic swordsmen arms are a dime a dozen, ask around here and somebody will hook you up.  Hell you could get a few dozen arms for a couple of crossbow/handgun metal arms.

You may want to aviod those 6th ed halberds too.  The heads break off very easily.  If you check my blog you'll see where I toook some of the new halberd heads, drilled them out a bit, and glued them to plastic rod hafts.  These are sturdy and easy to equip to plastic minis.  Just drill out the fists with a pin vice and you're set.  It's sturdier and looks really good.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Van Der Steegh

• Members
  • For Averland! For Sigmar!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:50 AM »
The swordsmen and halberdiers are awesome the way they are! Very nice effect, mixing two ( maybe three?) editions.

And no, the pistoliers heads are perfect, leave them!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:24:31 AM »
I really like second one in from the left. Where is the torso from? Artillery sprue?

Offline richard_de_clare

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »
Yeah thats one of the Artillery Crew torsos
“And thus I am glad to announce that an irrefutable scientific proof exists that Skaven are merely a figment of imagination” – Hieronymous Bach

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
That's my kind of converting, simple but effective  8-)

Personally, I know what you mean about the worry with heads... I've just converted up some knights using smaller heads and worried about the same thing but I think it is just an initial reaction. After continuous looking at them it really doesn't matter so much. When I first glanced at your pistolliers I didn't even think about it so they can't be that out of scale. I say keep them like that.

Great mix and match on everything else 
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
I must say that I'm not wild about using the handgunner/crossbowmen arms for swordsmen.  Seems like a waste to me, while not making the mini's look any more distinctive than the commonly available plastic arms.  Those are a nice trade item, especially since they're now unavailable, even from mail order.  Plastic swordsmen arms are a dime a dozen, ask around here and somebody will hook you up.  Hell you could get a few dozen arms for a couple of crossbow/handgun metal arms.

One of the main reasons why I did this, was because, after some looking around on eBay, I was able to come across about 3 box sets of each variety, leaving me with plenty of extras.  If your patient, they show up on eBay pretty often, at least 1 or 2 every couple of weeks it seems.  Plus they really don't go for more than what you would end up paying GW for them.

You may want to aviod those 6th ed halberds too.  The heads break off very easily.  If you check my blog you'll see where I toook some of the new halberd heads, drilled them out a bit, and glued them to plastic rod hafts.  These are sturdy and easy to equip to plastic minis.  Just drill out the fists with a pin vice and you're set.  It's sturdier and looks really good.

Thats always one thing that I've been weary of, them breaking off, but after using a unit, quite often I might add, of those figures back in 6th edition, and not having any break off, I'm gonna stick with these ones for now.  I guess I can always look into replacing them, if any major issues come up.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. :::cheers:::

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 01:58:51 AM »
Hey!  You upgraded your avatar to Oren Ishii.  Classy!
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:44 AM »
Heh, yep I love that movie, and the avatar looks sweet.  Perfect match.  Plus my old one was dull.

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Some very nice convesions Volt!!!  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:

The pistolier heads fit very well and don't look at all out of place.

I just can't shake the feeling that those swordsmen look.... familiar :dry:

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:12:59 PM »
Nice figures with some excellant conversions.

I like the use of the metal crossbow arms etc. and wouldn't change them myself. Sweet!

The only thing I don't like (and I know it's just me) is the pistolier bodies, or more particularly their feet, which look huge to me. It's why I don't like the new pistoliers. But all in all the pistoliers look real good too. i like the two to the right of the champion particularly.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:37:18 PM »
I just can't shake the feeling that those swordsmen look.... familiar

Yeah, I understand that, it's just, I wanted to incorporate the new sword arms with the 6th edition figures, and until I saw your conversions, I wasn't sure if they would look good, compared to the others.  After I saw yours, I knew then I wanted similar looking figures, as they look that good.  Again, thanks for the inspiration. :smile2: