home

Author Topic: Aaraden's Painting Blog  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Aaraden

• Members
Aaraden's Painting Blog
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »
Hi folks,

I've been browsing through this forum for years enjoying and being inspired the work I've seen here.  I've been away from the game a while, but have recently dusted off my paints and brushes and decided this time around I'd share.  I'm an extremely slow painter but I'm hoping that this blog will help motivate me to keep painting.  First up are my most recently painted miniatures.  I started the Pistoliers a couple of years ago and finally finished them up last month, and started and finished the pegasus this month.  I'm happy with how far I've come with my painting skills, though they pale in comparison to so many of you fine folks here.

C&C is welcome.  Next in line are my Helstorm and Warrior Priest models.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:27:30 PM by Aaraden »
- Paul

Offline red bull

• Members
Re: Aaraden's Painting Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
And mine pale in comparison to yours.

Great work.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »
Great stuff!

Especially you horse/pegasus paint jobs. Very smooth.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »
Agree with those above!  Very nice work - especially on the horses.  One suggestion would be to add a splash of color somewhere on the pegasus.  The white and grey are executed well, but pulling a little blue or orange (as seem to be prominent colors on the rider) could embolden the figure.  It looks like you may have some orange on the drapings on the rear of the pegasus, but I can't see them too well from the picture's angle.  Again, this is just a minor suggestion.

Fantastic!  I'm looking forward to the Warrior Priest.

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »
Thank you very much guys for the praise.

One suggestion would be to add a splash of color somewhere on the pegasus. 

Yes, the photo above doesn't show the color well, here's another.  I'm just beginning to work on highlighting with layers of color instead of drybrushing.  The picture seems to take away a little of the highlight on the orange, though I'm thinking of going back and taking the highlight a bit further still.  Highlighting large/flat areas has been one of my weakest areas and I'm working on it.

- Paul

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
Very nice indeed. Good clean, colourful painting style which I like, good basing too. Looking forward to see more.

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
I haven't had much time to paint so far this month.  I'll have to really kick it up a notch if I want to meet my monthly goal.  Right now I have the HRB base coated.  A few high lights and it'll be ready to finish gluing together and then the final highlights.  I have also finished one of the crewmen.

Its amazing howl much worse something can look when you zoom in this close to it!  I thought I'd done a smoother job on those highlights.  He's just a crewman so this is how he stays, but it really does look much better from tabletop range.  I took the pic so close because I was trying to show off that I'd managed to paint the eyes.  The eyes on the current range of minis are so much smaller than the 6th edition ones, and much more difficult to paint.  I suppose to make it look better if you don't paint them?  Or is it supposed to look more realistic?

The color scheme used here is the one I'll use throughout the army.  My Swordsmen and Spearmen are already painted similarly, but with a gray third color that I liked years ago when I painted them, but am not very happy with now.  If I ever make the time I'll go back and touch them up to be more like this crew member.  Here's a photo of my old state troops.

So one new model painted and a picture of my older stuff.  Hopefully within the week I'll have the HRB finished and will get started on that Warrior Priest.  The only chance my 10 RnF troops have of getting painted this month is the long Christmas weekend, but it may be a long shot.

- Paul

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »
WOW nice army Dude!! :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
Thanks Zak! :happy:
- Paul

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Nice work on the paint jobs, but I'm just noticing how much that crewman looks like his torso is way too small. I'm going to have to take a closer look at mine and see if it has the same look. I think I have one of mine assembled with the same bits.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:28 PM »
The General approves.  :eusa_clap:
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
Nice work on the paint jobs, but I'm just noticing how much that crewman looks like his torso is way too small.

Hah!  I hadn't noticed that until you pointed out, but yes, his torso looks way too small for his legs.  I'll have to take a closer look at the model tonight and see if it is the model or the image.
- Paul

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
I quite like that Pistolier unit. Very vibrant, and rich. The blues compliment the warm horseflesh colors. :)