home

Author Topic: Need theme paint help  (Read 2840 times)

Offline -Stauer-

• Members
Need theme paint help
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
Hello everybody. :)

Im making my first Empire army and would like some help/ideas with my painting theme.
And i need the help in 4 matters.

1) I think my army will be Reikland born, with Reiklands white or grey base colour. but connot decide which one, grey or white ? any experience which those colours ??

2) I love two colour themes with a big base colour white or grey in this matter, but then i need a side/second colour for feathers in hats and sides og robes but i cant see to find a fitting side colour. and i dont want to use black and red as they are overused. what you think about purple, green, orange or gold? or any other ideas for a side colour for grey or white?

3) My army is gonna need a banner. and i thought of and "white owl theme" anyone with some cool sketches with owls on banners or ideas of how to paint a owl easily on a empire banner.?

4) this question is more of a is there anything else i should know before starting to paint my Empire Reikland army of the white owl? :) If anything please tell me :)

Thanks alot
Best regards
-Stauer-

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: Need theme paint help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
Welcome aboard! :smile2:

1) White is more difficult to paint, but it is the "official" Reikland colour. If you want a step-by-step guide to painting white, I recommend looking at warhammerlord_soth's blog on this forum. If you are even more ambitious, search the forum for a member named "Graf von Carroburg".

2) Purple will be great. Bogenhafen's colours are purple and white. Green will work, too. Orange and gold are probably not so good. White is the heraldic replacement for silver, and silver and gold don't make for a good combination (that's a matter of taste though).

3) Sorry.

4) There are three ways to shade white:
- with grey
- with light blue
- with brown/earth tones

The first two get you "cold" results - very clean. The Talabheim army from GW uses white shaded with grey. The more "realistic" result is with the brown/earth tones, since in the 16th/17th century, white clothing wouldn't have been pure white as we know it today (lack of chemical bleach and dyes).

Hope this helps.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »
Hello everybody. :)

Im making my first Empire army and would like some help/ideas with my painting theme.
Welcome aboard!

1) I think my army will be Reikland born, with Reiklands white or grey base colour. but connot decide which one, grey or white ? any experience which those colours ??
Sounds like you are talking about a basecoat.  Like was already mentioned, Warhammerlord_Soth has a way to do it on his painting log.

Also, using a grey basecoat might work and then work off of that with an approach of some kind towards white.

2) I love two colour themes with a big base colour white or grey in this matter, but then i need a side/second colour for feathers in hats and sides og robes but i cant see to find a fitting side colour. and i dont want to use black and red as they are overused. what you think about purple, green, orange or gold? or any other ideas for a side colour for grey or white?
Folks using purple wiht white sometimes go with the Bogenhofen theme.  Green and white is used for the Stirland River Patrol which in't seen in Reikland (unless they are fighting eachother), but if it is used sparingly or for that matter orange as well, then it might still work.  Gold might work in some way, yet if its too yellow then someone might confuse it with the colors of olde Solland.  Not sure I'd use gold with white.

3) My army is gonna need a banner. and i thought of and "white owl theme" anyone with some cool sketches with owls on banners or ideas of how to paint a owl easily on a empire banner.?
Interesting idea, and perhaps this is the way to work Gold inot your scheme by having the owl be gold in color.

4) this question is more of a is there anything else i should know before starting to paint my Empire Reikland army of the white owl? :) If anything please tell me :)
Maybe do a couple of test figures in different schemes and see what you like or even take photos and let folks provide input on what they see.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:44 AM »
I agree with Gneisenau in regards to the gold/yellow and white. (And most everything else he said.)

Heraldic standards aside, there would just not be enough contrast to make a striking visual image. I'd stick with something darker like the purple or green.

I may be going out on a limb here (heh) but with the owl theme, have you considered breaking the Empire's "color" tradition (and common western heraldry) and going with a white and brown scheme, with a third minor accent color of something like black or a dark red? If done correctly I think that could be both striking and unique!

Offline Azyr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »
Welcome. I think Reaver do some owls in one of there familar packs, so that could be useful for banner tops. An amber wizard too wouldn't look out of place in a unit.

I've seen a few Reikland army done in a "dirty" white so to speak (white basecoat, devlan brown wash and then a white highlight)
Games in 2013 = 3
WHFB - 0/0/1
40k - 0/2/0

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:24:13 AM »
Color-wise, I'm a fan of the "brownish-white" rather than gray; building up or washing to get that effect can make a good, stable base color.  That said, don't hesitate to pick out details in color or leather - troops in nothing but white are a little...dull.

Purple or green could be a good accent.  So could teal.  Soth's pale blue is quite stylish as well.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say.

As for other stuff...Reiklanders are flashy and wealthy.  Don't be afraid of gold ornamentation, blackpowder galore, and feathers.  Other than that...give us pics!  Always good to see a new army coming along.   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 05:23:19 AM »
The Dheneb Stone is an excellent colour to use as a basecoat for either a White or Off-White colour, you can highlight it up to cream with Bleached Bone/Ogryn Flesh, Pure White with Skull White/Black wash/Devla or Off-White with Kommando Khaki/Devlan mud. I would say go a Gold/Yellow personally with the white would look nice, although two fairly difficult colours to paint white and yellow!

Offline -Stauer-

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »
Thanks all for the awesome welcome and answers/ideas.

I have looked through Sloth and Grafs blogs. and damn that looks cool.
Loots of inspiration i can "steal" from them.
Im all set for a Reikland army and will post some pics as soon as i can :)

I think im going for the brownish-white with the purple for the side colour as purple is a "rich" colour so to say in the 16th-17th century with loots of gems and gold on hero/lord and champions :)

And jet again thanks for the answers. more are ofcourse welcome :)

Best regards
-Stauer-

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
Since I commented above, I keep thinking about how cool a brown and grey/white scheme would look. I'm going to try it on a few of my own figures, since I've got all colors in my army and have never tried those.  :-D

I think the purple and white will look great, though. Be sure to post pics!

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

Amusing

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »

Amusing

:biggriin: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
I have looked through Sloth .......... blogs.

Just joined and already you know him so well ..........

...... I have heard that's what his wife calls him .............  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
I've heard she calls him 'The Donkey.' I dont know why, I think it must be his superhero name...

I apologise for lowering the tone of your first thread with penis jokes -Stauer-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:14:40 AM by Irresistible Force »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
Ha ha!

I think dheneb stone and gryphon sepia or devlan mud wash, and another highlight would look great.

Purple or Green sounds good.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »
When I am uncertain as to what color to paint something I paint it orange.

Just saying.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline -Stauer-

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
haha. Thats okey Iforce ;)
As i read it in your quote i saw how that could be misunderstood ;)

Thanks again all for your great ideas and answers (and some jokes? ;D )

As i think ive got some great ideas and answers and need to look through "warhammerlord_soth's" and "Graf von Carroburg's" pics of thier army i will close this topic.

Unless people has something very nice to say about the Q 3) and 4) of my first post. :)

Best regards
-Stauer-

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
I can't really help with the Owl banners, but I think it is a really cool idea :)
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.