home

Author Topic: New Article in the War Room: Against the Skirmishers  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
New Article in the War Room: Against the Skirmishers
« on: December 11, 2003, 01:46:43 AM »
Do you fight against Beastmen, Wood Elves, Skink-infested Lizardmen armies or Skaven?  Take a quick look at this mini-tactica on defeating skirmishing troops.  It has diagrams and everthing!

http://warhammer-empire.com/war_skirmishers1.htm
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 12:53:36 PM »
Great stuff once again Atch. Love the diagrams!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline deepfat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 11:42:16 AM »
Great tactica! I always forget to aligh the skirmishers to me not the other way round.
There's an old army sayin "tough luck for you" - Sergeant Jackrum Tenth infantry otherwise know as the "Ins-and-outs"

Offline Beadz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 08:38:49 AM »
ditto  :oops:

Offline Col. Majere

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 07:19:27 PM »
May light of Sigmar shine upon you and give you strength to whoop the chaos asses in SOC campaign. :)
Anyway... just beutiful stuff.
"There are no proplems that cannot be solved with cannons"
Chief engineer Brois Kraus of Nuln.

Offline Batu

• Members
Re: New Article in the War Room: Against the Skirmishers
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 11:17:53 PM »
Seems your exploiting the skirmish rules to obtain an unfair advantage.  

That is LAME!

pg 265

A player cannot attempt to gain an advantage by declaring a charge if it is immediately obvious his unit cannot reach its target.[/i]

Which at the time you DECLARE the charges...the middle cavalry unit can not make a legal charge.  Your tactic is illegal.

declaring charges to "clear" a path is not legal and the tactic is as bad as clipping.
It is not the army you must fear....But their General !

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 01:02:11 AM »
You are in fact wrong.  If the middle unit has LOS, it can charge.  He can reach, if you recall charging and moving chargers is done in order.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 01:05:17 AM »
Caution

This tactic won't make your buddy a happy camper, but it serves him right fielding all of those skirmishers. With the prevalence of Beastmen armies it is particularly important that you gain a grasp of the strengths and weaknesses of skirmishing troops.

See :roll:

Offline Batu

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 01:44:21 AM »
Yes they have los.  but that is not the issue is it.

you have to have a clear path initially.  which they dont.  And at the declaration of the charge their path is BLOCKED.  its not legal.

your rules lawyering like clipping.  yes when you (on the game board) move chargers its in order of the declared charge.  but your still moving the skimishers to unblock the path.

Quote from: Atchman
You are in fact wrong.  If the middle unit has LOS, it can charge.  He can reach, if you recall charging and moving chargers is done in order.
It is not the army you must fear....But their General !

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 02:11:18 AM »
Sorry Batu, but you're incorrect on this one.

On page 44, the rulebook states:

"A unit may only declare a charge if at least one model in the unit can see at least one enemy model in the opposing unit. It is not necessary for every model to be able to see an enemy - the whole unit is able to charge the enemy so long as one modeal can do so."

On page 46:

"Once any compulsory moves are complete, it is time for the player to move any units that have declared a charge. They are moved one at a time, in the order that the charges were declared."

This is a perfectly valid tactic - indeed, I explained this tactic to a friend of mine who was having a great deal of trouble getting to my units through my skink skirmish screens - initially he didn't think he could clear a path to my units.

Skirmishers were never intended to be able to stop an onrushing, ranked up unit from charging through them to the units behind. "Pulling" the skirmishers out of the way is perfectly valid, and perfectly legal.

I normally encourage it anyway - last time my Orc playing friend did it, he overran into my Temple Guard, I hit him in the flank with some Saurus Cavalry, activated my Gleaming Pendant (all enemy units strike last) and ripped his Black Orcs and Warboss apart. :D

Seriously though, if a unit can see another unit, they can declare a charge. The fact that charging units are moved in order means that you can charge the skirmishers, get them out of the road and charge through the gap. It's not cheesy, and it's not rules lawyering. It's just the rules of the game. Period.
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline EC.Sylvania

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 02:25:48 AM »
Where is Figure 1?

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »
:D

Offline Peasant Count

• Members
Flyers and War machines
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 05:37:39 PM »
Hey atchman,
  I played against you at the last GT, I am not sure if you remember me but I know remember the army-  one too many militia units. I left a post about our battle and referred to you as "Steve," is there a reason that I wrote that name down? My deepest apologies for calling you by the wrong name! :oops:
  Here is a question for you or anyone reading... my friend has a unit of chaos furies who always seem to get to my cannon and scare the crew away. Do you have any thoughts about flying skirmishers? Thanks!

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 08:12:55 PM »
Excellent article...can't wait to use the tactics  :D
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Beadz

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 11:35:14 PM »
HA, against wood elves and their "yoyo's with razor blades" use the dang 1+ armor save and RUN THEM DOWN!!!!!

Offline greynite1

• Members
Wow
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 09:46:41 PM »
Very niiiiice I actually am very much still playing this brutal campaign and one of my primary current foes is a lizard man nation. This guy Loves to use skinks and my friend you just gave me a great way to plow through his skirmish screen. I WILL RULE THE WORLD YET!! :P.
Just So you know Archaon your going DOWN!!

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Flyers and War machines
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 09:33:28 PM »
Quote from: Peasant Count
Hey atchman,
  I played against you at the last GT, I am not sure if you remember me but I know remember the army-  one too many militia units. I left a post about our battle and referred to you as "Steve," is there a reason that I wrote that name down? My deepest apologies for calling you by the wrong name! :oops:
  Here is a question for you or anyone reading... my friend has a unit of chaos furies who always seem to get to my cannon and scare the crew away. Do you have any thoughts about flying skirmishers? Thanks!

furies are a problem.  I just try and spread out my artillery.  The best tactic ever, was to place my Pegasus Captain in the artillery.  When the furies get into range, I charge them instead of them charging me!  It keeps the gun alive anyway.  

I've even moved my cannon behind a ranked unit before to keep from being charged.  I hates furies, that is why I take Hellblasters!