home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 89308 times)

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
  • Be better then a man, join the waagh effort!
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #425 on: May 07, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »
   Ricardo was busy rolling around under the blankets, teasing a local girl, when Juan came into the command tent. Juan Carlos was a good man, a man use to bloodshed, but he was not prepared to see his lord in the nude. Turning his face to the floor to better save himself from embarrassment, Juan spoke calmly and with what confidence he could gather.
   "My lord, I am sorry to interupt but, We are nearly there, a days march and we will be meeting up with Donixote and his force... We have received messages from Donixote explaining their current situation, if you would like sir, I could read them off to you."
  Ricardo rolled out from under the makeshift bed's covers, exposing himself for a few brief seconds before his servants came rushing over to dress him. Looking to his servants, speaking in Estalian, he ordered the girl removed from his tent and given to the troops for a bit of, as he put it, fun. As Ricardo walked over to Juan to better listen, the newly confused girl was shoved out of the bed and handled out of the tent by two Guards. As a chorus of laughs and whistles erupted from outside, Juan read the report to Ricardo and could tell his lord was not pleased.
   "Juan, do me a favor, when you leave the tent and get my horse, send a boy to Donixote on the fastest horse, tell him one message... I am coming, and he is leaving... I want ALL of my men pulled out of that town, this, this, - Moslac? I want it deserted! A rabble stops him at a BRIDGE?! A BRIDGE?! He wastes his efforts on an Assassin?! I don't care if he Killed Diego, I want my MONEY! Tell him to Bring that chest of gold to me now! I want to see this Arathos and I want that rabble crushed! Bring up ALL of my Cannon and BLAST THEM! I do not want a single soul left alive to speak of how Donixote failed me! He was to put on a good appearance, not fight rabble and peasants! WE ARE HERE TO MAKE MONEY, not fight a war over revenge! Stupido! Well, What are you waiting for?! Get out of here you son of a pig!"
   Juan dashed out of the tent, quickly setting everything into motion. The army packed up and was set out to march once more. Juan quickly sent out a messenger boy before trotting up to the Dawnstrider guides. Speaking in their tongue, Juan tried to hide his accent and speak as clearly as he could. "There is a slight change of plans. . . We are going to Moslac, you are to ride to your liege Arathos as fast as you can and tell him to meet my Lord Ricardo at once. Tell him, we wish to talk... uh... gold, money? Business, you choose the word... Just bring him here."
Scream WAAAGH and let slip the Boars of war!

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #426 on: May 07, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
The River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

The night was pitch black. The Nightman, his face blackened by soot scurried down the bank of the western side of the river. With him were four other men Alphonse had seen good qualities in, they were similarly garbed in dark clothes with blackened skin. The Dawnstriders in their retreat had left several boats on the bank, though many were destroyed by either the retreating troops or cannon fire. Alphonse had seen an intact one during the day and he made for this quickly, but silently. The river was still swollen, but the turbid waters had calmed down from the previous days, and Alphonse and his raiders paddled over it with relative ease. Once on the other side of the bank, the Nightman and three of the Karolingians crept up to the enemy gun emplacements, the fourth waited with the boat, his crossbow loaded.

A sentry strolled near the mortar which the raiders hid behind. He looked to be a Dawnstrider, but it was hard to tell, the faint lights from the enemy camps was playing havoc with Alphonse's night vision. The Nightman slid forward, making for the sentries' turned back. At the last second, the Nightman's thigh-length leather boot scraped on a rock, making the sentry startle and turn to the raiders. Alphonse leapt on the enemy soldier, clamping his hand on the man's mouth. The other raiders rushed forward to hold the man down, before knocking him swiftly on the temple, knocking him out.

They were about to return to the boat when a newcomer stumbled onto the scene. He was an Estalian artilleryman, obviously coming to check on his gun, the sign of a veteran soldier. There was a few seconds of silence as the Nightman and his men gazed at the man, his mouth open. The magic was broken by the Estalian crying out, it was cut short though, as Alphonse darted forward, knocking the man from his feet. The man fell onto a pile of cannon balls, knocking himself out, but causing a great clattering. Alphonse lifted the artilleryman by his shoulders dragging him down to the river bank. The other two men brought the Dawnstrider.

There was shouting coming from the camp now, as men were jumping from their fires to the alert. By the time men had raced up to the front line, the boat was already a quarter of the way across the river, the raiders not bothering about the splashing their frantic paddling was causing. Alphonse gazed back at the enemy scrambling to their defences, fires had been lit, lighting up the tiny boat and their crew paddling. Crossbow bolts started to whizz past the men's heads, causing the raiders to duck down. The crossbowmen were skilled, sending bolt after bolt at the boat in quick succession, several of them found their mark, slamming into two of the raiders and wounding the third in the arm. Alphonse propped the two dead men up behind him, creating a shield for the prisoners and the surviving Karolingians. A cannon added to the salve of Crossbows, though it went far wide of the retreating raiders and Alphonse judged them to be nearing the other bank as the gloom set in once more.

One hour later. Estalian Prisoner Tent
The two men were seated in separate tents, a burly Sergeant was with each of them, loosening their tongues somewhat. Alphonse himself stepped into the tent of the Estalian, cleaned up and dressed as any other officer. The man had been blabbering in his language for some time now, Alphonse didn't know Tilean, he only spoke Reikspiel and Strigany, so a soldier named Alessio came with him as interpreter.

"Greeting my friend. Welcome to the camp of the Black Company. Now, tell me who your commander is, tell me how many men he has, and tell me what sort of men he has."

The Dawnstider Prisoner Tent

In the other tent, the Lieutenant walked in and sat opposite the captured Dawnstrider soldier, he was little more than a boy, very young and his uniform was slightly oversized for him.

"How are you my good fellow?" asked the young officer. "Can I get you anything? food? drink?"

I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #427 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »
The Estalian eyed the man in front of him, he didn't understand a word he had spoken. When the interpreter first spoke to him in Tilean, the Estalian gave the man flat stares as yet again he did not understand him.
The bold prisoner eyed his captures and spoke one word. "Estalian!"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #428 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »
Whew, a lot going on.  This is getting more fun by the day!

The Road to Moslac, Eastern Border Princes

Arathos was pleased to concede the offer to the men, but was not yet willing to leave them unattended.  They were marching with him to Moslac, along with another cavalry unit of his and his greatswords; he didn't quite trust them, and was not about to leave them unsupervised within the city.  They wore their black armor, and Arathos was considering giving them special tabards to signify their unique nature.  By the time they had marched a day from the city, he was in good spirits indeed.  He wasn't sure what the Vitecs were doing in Schwarzbaum, but he was certain that they would be excellent bargaining chips when he met with Matthias.  How often does one approach a king with two princes hostage, after all?  He left the greatswords as they marched and made his way to the Black Company, and mingled with the soldiers.  He took the rest of the day and used it to learn about them; their names, where they lived and grew up, why they fought, and what they wanted out of life.

Rheinhardt's Camp, Somewhere South of Moslac

Rheinhardt was not pleased with these Estalians so far; they appeared to be a bit crude and undisciplined for his tastes, but then Rheinhardt was a fierce disciplinarian and not known for his patience.  He was in the middle of morning drills when the Estalians had made hasty preparations to leave; he himself was in the middle of reading a message from Frederick, and nodded to the Estalian leader.  He spoke to the translator: "Tell him I'll send an emissary with all haste to summon the General, but I must press with all possible speed to Moslac as well."  With that, Rheinhardt barked out the orders for the men to break camp and move out, and the disciplined soldiers of the Legion moved swiftly to continue the march.

Eastern Bank of the River Trebleca

Brimcon tossed a few pebbles into the river, sighing as he made notes here and there about it's depth.  Frederick watched him, waiting for an answer to the question he'd asked.  Finally, it came.  "No good, Under-Marshall.  It's too far and too deep to haul out from here, at least not without a great deal of work.  Those enemy sentries won't let us get that close without shooting, and they won't let us stay once they see what we're up to."
     "Sir, then there is no way to recover the tank?"
     "Not from this side of the river; we'll have to wait until the General comes, and maybe we can push them back and take the other bank.  We don't need to hold it forever, just for a few hours, maybe a day, until I can pull it free and haul it back across the bridge."  Frederick sighed, kicking a small rock into the river and then wincing as pain flared from his hip.

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent, Karolingian Camp due West of Moslac

Mark Pfielhart had only enlisted a year ago, but already he had grown to enjoy his time in the Dawnstriders.  He was young, but determined to prove himself and maybe even earn command of his own unit.  Now, he was a little scared; he'd heard rumors of how this camp harbored a murderer who crept about in the shadows, and cut the throats of men without warning or reason.  He was certain the Butcher of Karoly, as they called this anonymous assassin, was going to come for him in the night one of these days.  No one could stop him, the men said, if he wanted you.  Frederick's guards had not saved the Estalian, and more than a few soldiers had been found dead in Moslac despite never being far from their comrades.  He tried to remember what he was taught, and took a deep breath.  "My name is Mark Pfielhart, 7th Infantry.  I can be ransomed back to my commanding officer, he is authorized to pay for my safe return."  He sighed, as the man before him simply nodded; no one told him what to do after this, except not to betray his unit under any circumstances.  His comrades depended on him not to put their lives in danger with a loose tongue.  He was thirsty, and a bit hungry, though.  Surely a bite of bread and some water would do no harm?  "Um, some water, and perhaps some bread, would be nice, sir."
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2009, 11:59:04 PM »
Which reminds me ... I need to see if I can complete that "to be continued" post regarding the Bretonnians, some time this weekend maybe.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #430 on: May 09, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
Estalian Prisoner Tent

Alphonse glanced at the interpreter, the man was eyeing the prisoner curiously. "Whats all that about?" The nightman asked.
"He certainly speaks something that sounds like Tilean, but different. My cousin once went to Tobaro with a merchant ship - he said they speak oddly there too."
"So perhaps he is from the pig lover's city?"
"I don't think so, there are more city states across the mountains in Estalia, perhaps he is from there. However, we should be able to communicate with Tilean."
Alphonse nodded. "Tell me your name"

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent

"Alright Mark, your hungry, Ja?" The man nodded "Perhaps we can get some food in here for you." The Lieutenant called to a guard outside the tent. "So Mark, where do you come from?"

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #431 on: May 09, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »

"Brovska.  I lived there until I heard about the Dawnstriders, then I left to enlist."
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »

"Ah very good, very good. We have a number of men from Brovska ourselves. So, you joined the Dawnstriders, what as though? I seem to remember from the report you were armed with a spear. There many spearmen in your camp?"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #433 on: May 09, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »
  The Estalian eyed them. He spoke in rural Estalian, that of the Peasents, "I am Jorge Yojahne, what is it you want from me?"

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #434 on: May 09, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Estalian Prisoner Tent

"Tell me who your commander is and how big the armies across the river are, perhaps we can get you some food and women in return."

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
   The Estalian eyed the man, almost as if he said a joke, he enjoyed the thought of the rewards. "Donixote! He is our leader, any fool knows that... As for our numbers... I honestly cannot say... We are still counting the dead and the living after the battle..."

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #436 on: May 10, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
New Solland’s First Battle
(4,000 pts Dow with a handful of Empire units incorporated versus 2,000 Empire allied with 2,000 Ogres)

Several miles south of Mortensholm

Baron Uryens de Crux had given his order, and by the morning not only was the army assembled in its battle lines, but it had begun its final move to bring it into contact with the foe. There were too many spies and scouts to keep the manoeuvre from the foe, and so Don Matthias Black Company were made ready for battle too. This was no surprise, for there was not a man or Ogre there who had not known that battle had must surely be joined either that day or the next.

The land between the armies was empty of trees, for the New Sollanders and their Ogre allies had moved beyond the edge of the forest. But there were still hills - the foothills of the Black Mountains at the very western end of what were commonly called the Trebleca hills. Both armies intended to utilise those hills.

To the west was a branch of the river Dante, so close that it’s rocky banks would form one entire flank of the battlefield.

Upon the hazardous march south, Uryens had avoided too much contact between his men and the Ogres. Determined to continue this strategy now, he ordered his own men to form the left flank of the allied force, and accepted only the Ogre Maneaters (who were much more used to the company of men, and vica versa) to join his ranks. The Tyrant Agrabog would thus move up on Uryens’ right. The Baron had no intention of attempting to order how Agrobog should array his force, a common sense decision in more than one way: first the Ogre would probably be too proud to listen; secondly, Uryens had little understanding of how best to array such brutes for battle.

Atop his Griffon, the Baron was an impressive sight. Most of those who served under him had done so for many a year (this was an army of veterans) and so he felt that he would not need to be ‘down on their level’ to closely supervise. Besides, his sergeants and captains knew what was expected of them, and were fully versed in all the signals he might employ from the back of his monstrous mount.

His three tertios of foot advanced in line. The Great Swords followed their two Swordsmen detachments, while both regiments of Halberdiers adopted the same formation, having their Free Company detachments on their left and their hangunners out in front. The light cannon and the Hellblaster (the latter a novelty that Uryens had never before employed in battle) took position on and below the hill. The Knights moved up on the far left, with a brace of Maneaters nearby ready to try to match their pace

On the right, Agrabog strung his force out almost in a line. Of course, the huge Scrap Launcher need not take up room in the line as it was perfectly capable of shooting over the Ogres’ heads. The Rhinox was so massive, that its Gnoblar crew were almost at the same height as the cannon on the hilltop! Agrabog marched with his Ironguts Bodyguard, and his Bruiser Thaddeus with one of the Bull’s regiments. One pair of Leadbelchers joined the line. The other pair moved more cautiously behind the Gnoblars. One Butcher was also cautious and joined a unit of Bulls, but the second chose to risk moving up on the far right. Perhaps he thought that from there he might get a better view of proceedings?

This was not the Sollanders’ full strength. Uryens had left a garrison at Mortensholm, and much of his cavalry was dispersed to cover his flanks, to scout and (importantly) to forage. Mortensholm had not had much in the way of supplies to offer the army when it arrived. Even Agrabog had only two thirds of his force here, though he had much less of an idea regarding where his absent warriors were.

The Black Company, however, was mustered in the full strength it could gather, for Don Matthias had known this was coming. To be honest, he had been surprised how long it had taken the enemy to bring him to battle. He had even resorted to goading the foe with the horrible practise of placing the heads of the dead of Mortensholm upon stakes on the road south of the town.

Now the Don was ready, as where his mercenary army, the Black Company. It was an impressive sight. He placed most of his foot, certainly the massed ranks of Halberd, Pike and Sword all together in the hope that they would effectively guard each others flanks and thus prove an immovable obstacle to the foe. Upon the left he sent several units intended to ‘play’ with the enemy, to delay them, distract them, and howsoever keep them occupied while the rest of his army did the real bloody work to the centre and right. The Don rode with his Lancer upon the far right, with Captain Luitpold and the other Lancer company close by, and one of the fast cavalry units for support. His artillery, three cannons and a mortar, he placed between his Horse and Foot, and put both regiments of Crossbowmen upon the hill to add to the destruction dealt out by the guns.

The Black Company's left, intended as a distraction, was made up of archers, Norsemen and Light Horse. Nearby, Pirazzo’s mercenaries, armed with a mixture of Pike and Crossbow, formed the very left-most end of the main line.

In the centre the foot regiments marched in precise step with each other, presenting one single, neat line to the foe. The baggage, containing much of what was robbed from Mortensholm, was behind them. It seemed impossible that the foe would reach the baggage, for the Foot were like the solid, thick wall of a fortification.

Captain Luitpold asked for the honour of leading his own Lancers to front, and the Don graciously granted his request. In truth, the Don never intended to lead the attack, but was much more keen to linger behind as a reserve, so that he could deliver a punch from his own Lancers wherever was most appropriate as the battle unfolded.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:00:22 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #437 on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
This is very impressive! :icon_biggrin:

The lines of soldiers lined up for a massive 4,000 points per side battle, the results of which will set the stage for more story line, just incredible! :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »
(Continued from a previous post a couple of pages back ...)

Beauport (formerly Matorea),  Border Princes, 2524 I.C.

“Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot has taken his forces north to the village of Haverty at the edge of his territory.  Prince Dominique Veneaux of Alynda has moved his soldiers along the west side of the River Dante to back up Prince Alain Herriot, but having to go further and move across country they haven’t likely reached where Prince Alain is yet.  Meanwhile, Prince Jaques Detz of Khypris has headed to support Prince Stephen Clemenaceau in Charlesbourg, and I suspect because they have a fairly decent road to travel between the two locations, they will arrive there very soon, if not already.”

“And what of Mortensholm, Sir Augustin?”

“Reports have surfaced that the community has been hit hard, Graf Edric Steinkhuler VI’s army has been decisively defeated, and for some reason Don Mathias’ Black Company has pulled back from Mortensholm’s immediate vicinity and back out of the forest northwest of the Dante River.”

“And what do you see would make sense for our military that we have here?”

“It is my feeling that we would be premature in committing our forces in that direction, nor towards Charleroi, without learning more of how the Black Company will proceed.  And in the meantime, it could be best for us to await return communications from Prince Francoise de Molinar in Brovska, and Prince Pierre-Jean Renoir in Zenres, regarding what they might know of the whereabouts of Prince Andre de Monfort of Charleroi.”

“What, if anything have you heard about this already, Sir Augustin?”

“We know he left Charleroi with his men headed for Brovska, and rumor has it that the Moslac town elders may have taken advantage of his leaving.  Yet without much in the way of protection from the Black Company, it is easy to see why the Don may have occupyied this location for the same strategic reasons that we did last year.  And our communications with our eastern extension as already slowed a bit as a result.”

“Ok, let’s do as you have already suggested, and see what happens from there.”

“Very well, my lady, and I will let you know as soon as we receive more information.”

“Wonderful, and I bid you farewell, until dinner time as you go about the rest of your responsibilities, good sir.”

“Thank you, my lady, and good day.”

With that, Sir Augustin turned and walked from the room.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:08 AM »
Sunderly's Field, Border Princes IC 2524

Luitpold walked over to his horse, donning his helm as he went. His Standard Bearer, Bartalan, joined him, leading his own horse and carrying the banner over his shoulder. The rest of the Lancers dismounted to save the horses, and broke camp, though still remained armoured and with their weapons close.

The Bretonnian Nobles were slowly walking their horses toward the middle of the field. Luitpold had served in the Reiksguard for over ten years, and had been stationed at Helmsgardt for a fair few of those years, having to meet many a noble and had become somewhat of an authority in the matter. The noble walking his horse toward him had an elaborate set of heraldry, signifying him as a Duke, or as the new Bretonnian masters in the Borders had liked to call themselves royalty.

The four men met at the centre of the dusty field. Luitpold, his hand raised in greeting, his voice muffled by his gleaming black sallet-style helm, spoke first. "Your Highness, I am Luitpold von Jorgen, Captain of the Lancers under his Majesty Matthias I of Karoly. His Highness himself has sent me on a mission of peace to your realm in the hope your Noble sir would see fit for us to discuss military and political issues that will join our two most noble and great houses in a unity of the greatest importance."

Sir Jacques Montfrouche took his eyes off what he was watching as the leader of the Black Company Lancers approached with a standard bearer and spoke to Prince Alain Herriot, but continued to periodically and frequently look back in the general direction of the woods and undergrowth off to his left.

And Prince Alain Herriot replied, "Good Captain von Jorgen, I am Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot, and the great land of Bretonnia from over the mountains and the sea depending of course on which way one arrives.  I am pleased to make your acquaintance, and am most interested in the peace you speak of, particularly in the light of what we have heard regarding the Black Company's activities both east and west of you own lands.  However, I must say that our Princess Sophia du Beaucamp of Beauport, a lady most worthy of myself reporting to, has become concerned regarding your leader's occupancy of Charleroi, and although my aide here," as the Prince then gestured towards Mervin, the Mentreda horsebowmen and messenger, "has relayed to me that you have mentioned that the Empire has invaded the realm of the Border Princes, why would they do such a thing at this time when they face what has been reported as great troubles throughout their own lands after having been hit so hard by the forces of Chaos a couple of years back, and while the current time we hearing is already being called, "The Dark Years" north of the Black Mountains?"

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »
Aha! The battle I've been waiting for!

I must say, those are two very impressive armies, those Ogres on the Solland right flank look dangerous, and Uryens is likely to chew through many a Border Princite on that griffon.

I'm hoping that helblaster blows up early on! It's aiming right at the Don's pike!

Perhaps Luitpold can lead his hand picked Lancia Cavalry in a glorious charge that'll go down in the history books! (Or most probably get frightened and ride home as fast as he can)

But man Uryens, what was going through your mind when Padre plonked 6 infantry regiments on the table right in front of you?

Looking forward to the update!

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »

Sir Jacques Montfrouche took his eyes off what he was watching as the leader of the Black Company Lancers approached with a standard bearer and spoke to Prince Alain Herriot, but continued to periodically and frequently look back in the general direction of the woods and undergrowth off to his left.

And Prince Alain Herriot replied, "Good Captain von Jorgen, I am Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot, and the great land of Bretonnia from over the mountains and the sea depending of course on which way one arrives.  I am pleased to make your acquaintance, and am most interested in the peace you speak of, particularly in the light of what we have heard regarding the Black Company's activities both east and west of you own lands.  However, I must say that our Princess Sophia du Beaucamp of Beauport, a lady most worthy of myself reporting to, has become concerned regarding your leader's occupancy of Charleroi, and although my aide here," as the Prince then gestured towards Mervin, the Mentreda horsebowmen and messenger, "has relayed to me that you have mentioned that the Empire has invaded the realm of the Border Princes, why would they do such a thing at this time when they face what has been reported as great troubles throughout their own lands after having been hit so hard by the forces of Chaos a couple of years back, and while the current time we hearing is already being called, "The Dark Years" north of the Black Mountains?"

Luitpold nodded to this. "Indeed the north has had it's troubles, but it seems they have taken and interest in the Imperial-influenced lands to their south. His highness King Matthias is learned in history, he sees in Bretonnia a greatness that is not seen in any other kingdom of man, excluding his own, of course. Would you not think it therefore sensible our two like-minded peoples would fight side by side heroically against a barbaric neighbour who treats both our noble peoples as subordinates to themselves?" He paused a second to read the Prince's reaction, but was awarded with no expression to discern it from. "On the issue of Charlerloi, I am not in the power to return the town to Bretonnia's hands, my king, though has urged me to come to a solution with our noble southern neighbours. Your scouts may have seen that the town is under siege by more Imperials invading from the east and most probably from Black Fire Pass - another example of the barbarity of the Empire."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:30:07 AM by Inarticulate »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2009, 01:44:46 AM »
Sunderly's Field, North of Haverty and Mantreda, Border Princes, Late Spring, I.C. 2524

Prince Alain listened with little expression, and spoke after Lutipold provided his question.

"Good Captain von Jorgen, it would seem so far that the forces that have arrived from the Empire have been screening their size and movements with various cavalry, scouts, and even some Ogres, and it is yet to be determined how many have actually made this so-called invasion.  I am sure that my lady, Princess du Beaucamp, would want to be certain these forces were really a threat before moving to consolidate all of our multitude of knights and men-at-arms from across the dozen or so communities that we have rescued from the various forms of deprivations and tyrants that they have been beseiged with for years here in the Border Princes.  Additionally, scouting out Charleroi is beyond my responsibility, but I'm sure Princess du Beaucamp will have someone taking on such duties, if she hasn't so instructed someone else to do so already.  You may not be in a position to provide what I am sure she will request, perhaps between you and I, we can relay eachother's diplomatic talking points to our individual lords, you to Don Matthias, and I to Princess Sophia du Beaucamp, and we shall see what their response are in turn.  The Princess, as well as all of those under her jurisdiction here in the Border Princes, wishes to see Charleroi returned to our governorship, and I can be certain she knows the Don is looking for some assistance with the Imperial forces that have now entered the Border Princes.  But, it may take something more, in light of the idea that Charleroi was occupied by your forces prior to the Black Company's assault on Mortensholm, and the ensuing Imperial force that has now descended upon this area currently.  A request to the Don of what else he may be willing to provide in addition to the return of Charleroi could be in order, good Captain, before such an alliance can be fully obtained."
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:02:30 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:48 AM »
In the same vein as Inarticulate, I've written up some stats and special rules for the various named members of the Dawnstriders.  Willing to post if anyone's interested.

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent, Karolingian Camp

Mark shifted a bit, now this man was asking questions he knew he wasn't supposed to answer.  He shifted a bit, and nodded.  "Yes, I'm a spearman, but I...I can't say more than that."

Eastern Side of the Bridge over the River Trebleca

"Maybe we should resume bombardment, sir?"  Frederick looked down at the dwarf, who simply gulped down another mouthful of ale.  As Erberk wiped his beard, he peered across the bridge.  "There can't be many of them left; we can smash through with another strong charge.  Their morale is high, but there were only 400 there a few days ago; we outnumber them many times over, surely we can break them!"  A belch was his answer, and he looked down.
     "We're not trying anything till General's back.  Orders, lad."  A moan was heard from behind them, and both glanced over to see Averrob asleep on the cobblestones, Gelnar sifting through his pockets (though still lashed to the staff Averrob gripped tightly in his sleep).  Frederick sighed, and stared hard across the bridge.  "Don't even think about it.  Ye had yer shot, ye blew it.  The General will be here, he'll take the be-damned bridge himself."
     "The General is not a one man army; we can't expect him to work miracles."
     "Ye don't know him well, at all."  Erberk refilled his empty mug, taking a gulp before going on, "Ye think I'm in this army fer the likes of ye and the other umgi?"
     "What's that supposed to mean?"
     "It means if ye think a dwarf will follow, and take orders from, anyone but an older and wiser dwarf, yer a daft fool.  So, ye chew on that and ponder what it means that I'm takin' orders from a manling that's nae old enough to be off his mother's teat in dwarf years, and what it says about the man."  Erberk finished his stein, then stood and thumped it hard into the man's chest.  "And ye best get me some more beer, before I decide to thump ye proper fer the mess ye've caused and then bad-mouthing yer superior to boot."  Erberk stomped over to Averrob, kicking him in the shoulderblade.  "Wake up ye lousy drunk!"  Averrob groaned and opened his eyes in time to see Gelnar fishing a hunk of bread out of his pocket.
     "My lucky mold!"  Averrob backhanded the puny goblin hard, the miserable creature flying until it's tether snapped it back to Averrob.  Screaming and scrabbling on the stone could be heard, and Frederick shut his eyes with a sigh, Erberk's deep dwarven yell intruding upon him moments later.
     "Beer!  Hurry it up, lad!"

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »
But man Uryens, what was going through your mind when Padre plonked 6 infantry regiments on the table right in front of you?

Looking forward to the update!

I was more distracted by the number of artillery pieces in front of me...oh that an "man I hope my volley gun works well!"
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

Uryens looked up and down the lines, far off to his right he could see the Ogres, damn brutes that they were, but worrysome nonetheless, let them be ground down against those pikes, rather than good, honest Solland fighting men.

More troublesome though were all those knights ahead of him, them and the artillery. All of a sudden bringing "Lillith", his Griffon mount, seemed a rash decision.

Still, the lines were set now. All that was left was to drive this robber baron back into the wilderness.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
Part 2 (turn 1 and much of turn 2)

With a flurry of drum rolls and blaring horns upon both sides, the battle began. Having a mind to see if Agrabog’s brutes could do the lion’s share of fighting, Uryens ordered a minimal advance by his own troops. The two Maneaters moving cautiously upon the left, and only the two Handgunner detachments and a detachment of Swordsmen joined them forming a ‘forlorn hope’. The men behind watched as their fellows moved away from them, some feeling relief, others apprehension, but all laced with guilt.

The Baron hoped that Agrabog might think he was probing the foe with such a manoeuvre, testing their mettle, finding out whether they had powder. The truth was that Uryens wanted to come out of this battle not only victorious, but with his own men substantially intact and Agrabog’s force weakened. There was no doubt in his mind that he could not trust his foul ally. This was his chance to kill two birds with one stone – fight the enemy, and weaken his troublesome ally.

Agrabog had given such considerations no thought. He was here to fight, to win, to loot – and the enemy’s (stolen) baggage looked substantial. Not that he was in a rush, but his caution was more to do with the Black Company’s reputation, and not with hoping his allies would bear the brunt of the fighting. To his mind the brunt of the fighting was what he expected and wanted. Yet he was not so foolish as to advance too hurriedly or clumsily at the foe. So he sent two leadbelchers out ahead and watched with interest to see how the enemy reacted to their particular form of punishment.

Behind, he and his main line moved much more slowly forwards. Agrabog and Thaddeus his Bruiser scrutinised the massed ranks ahead of them looking for weaknesses. Both wanted to apply blows where the effect would be most damaging.

Out on the far right, however, one of the Butchers felt no such hesitancy and marched out along the rocky bank of the river, considering what spells he might employ. His fellow magic user wound the spell ‘Trollguts’ about the Bulls he was marching with, and they felt a new vigour and strength course through their frames. Uryens’ own Priests attempted to conjure blessings of their own into being, and one of them succeeded in imbuing his regiment of Halberdiers with a magical fortitude. Sigmar himself smiled upon them so that they brimmed with courage and purpose.

While these prayers were being uttered, rather more mundane efforts were being made elsewhere on the field. The cannon, however, only felled two Crossbowmen and not the cannon it was aimed at, while the Hellblaster stayed quiet (the crew well aware that they were still out of range). But it was amongst the Ogres that the most dramatic artillery incident occurred. The Scraplauncher was badly mishandled by its Gnoblar crew, and in attempting to shoot they instead drove the beast into the rear of Thaddeus’ regiment of Bulls, slaying two of them with its sheer bulk, and damaging itself irreparably in the process. Agrabog roared with anger as he realised that the enemy had not yet even been reached, nor had they unleashed even one arrow, and yet his own warriors were already falling!

Upon the other side of the field, and far from the sight of the Ogres’ discomfort, Don Matthias and Captain Luitpold, manoeuvred themselves as best they could to prepare for the delivery of charges. Both were aware of the limited space available to their Lancer units, as well as the fact that the enemy commander was riding a monstrous Griffon. Perhaps foolishly, the nearby Light Horse now moved up ahead, intending to draw the enemy on and thus break their line.

On the Black Company’s left, a score of skirmishing Archers mounted the hill and notched their arrows, while the second company of Light Horse arrayed themselves at the foot of the hill to consider which enemy they might charge. It seemed that every Light Horseman on the field was feeling confident and impetuous, for they were now the foremost on both flanks. The Norsemen, having almost lost their chance to fight in the previous battle, also made their way to the top of the hill, from where they intended to pour down onto the foe in a an overwhelming charge. Perhaps less boldly, the Estalian Duellists crept up on the far left in the shadow of the hill.

The massed ranks of Black Company foot soldiers simply stood as they were, while their drums beat ever more rapid peels of defiance. Jan Van Junge glanced to his left to see the archers atop the hill and made the quick decision to magically aid their efforts with the Portent of Far. He succeeded in casting his spell, even though his concentration almost failed when the boom, boom, boom of artillery fire burst to the right of him. A lot of smoke and several iron balls later and only two Sollanders had fallen, along with only two Ogres scratched by splinters. Yet there was to be a huzzah yet, for the two companies of crossbowmen upon and in front of the hill let loose every one of their quarrels at the approaching Maneaters. Both brutes fell to the ground, pierced umpteen times – too many to count. As this huzzah was sounded, far to the left of the line there was another such cheer as Pirrazzo’s men brought down one of the Leadbelchers daring to approach.

Agrabog might have had the brain of an Ogre, but he had wits enough now to realise that dawdling was not going to be the best course of action on this day. He pointed at the foe and shouted,

“At ‘em! And fast. Tear ‘em to pieces!”

His warriors, a little dazed by what the Scraplauncher had done, gathered what wits they had together and began the advance proper. The Butcher out on his own thought that he might be able to swipe the Duellists aside, and so moved towards them. The Gnoblars next to him also advanced, keen to show their masters that they too were willing to fight (and greedy to get at the shiny, sharp things the enemy carried).

Uryens still wanted to see what the Ogres might do, and although he ordered a general advance, it was only to bring his main regiments closer to his forlorn hope. Those men at the very front had already halted, preparing to deliver a volley of handgun fire before they moved again. The crew of the Hellblaster, now realising that the enemy probably had no intention of moving any further forwards, now tugged and heaved at their warmachine to drag it laboriously forwards. Having sweated hard to fetch this great metal beast over the Winter’s Teeth Pass, they were determined that the contrary sod would fire at the foe.

Uryens urged Lillith over a little, to sit behind his Heavy Knights, but he was glad to see that they chose not to accept the enemy’s bait and charge at the Light Horse – they too could obviously see that the enemy was trying to lure them into a trap.

Little magic was brought to bear as Butchers, Priests and Wizard all failed to usher their magical conjurations past the enemy’s guard. The crew of the light cannon had now spotted Don Matthias with his elaborate armour, and laughing, they chose to target him personally (he was sitting right in the middle of his Lancers). Their good humour was dulled however when their piece misfired -  a flash in the pan. Better luck was had by the Leadbelcher and the Gnoblars on the right, for between them they brought down four of the Light Horse. The brave Black Company riders, however, were steadfast, and continued their rapid advance. The Handgunners could only add two crossbowmen to the tally of the enemy’s dead.

Considering what the Scraplauncher had done to its own side, this was all in all a disappointing effort by the missile troops of the Solland alliance.

Seeing an opportunity, the Light Horse ahead of Luitpold’s Lancers now charged at the detachment of Free Company ahead of them, knowing they had a good chance of victory over such a weak foe, and that if the enemy Lancers tried to charge them subsequently, their own Lancers would be able to strike at the enemy knights’ flank. A good plan, they thought. Of course, little on a battlefield goes exactly to plan, and this was to prove the case here: the Free Company fled (being run down in the process) and the Light Horse ended up charging the enemy’s knights! They would be the first to admit that this would never be their first choice of target, yet at the same time, they had the initiative, and if they could fell one or two, maybe the courage of even such elite and heavily armoured warriors would fail?

To be continued …..
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
And the supense is building! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #448 on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

"Damn those gunners!" cursed Uryens. They were new and untried men, not his old and trusted men, they were still in Mortensholm, or on the way back to Solland. At least the fearsome looking ogre monster had not done any real damage, and wouldnt be any trouble later, but by Myrmidia these opening exchanges werent going his way, still, he had drawn the light horse on and he knew full well the Knights of the Green Cross would not break in the face of a few light horse.

(The Knights of the Green Cross are a very small order, devoted to Tall and Rhya and usually wonder the Empire singly, acting as champions to help roadwardens and travellers along the roads of the Empire and beyond.)

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #449 on: May 11, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
Oooh this is brilliant!

'Huzzah' to crossbowmen!

In the same vein as Inarticulate, I've written up some stats and special rules for the various named members of the Dawnstriders.  Willing to post if anyone's interested.

Go for it
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:09:34 PM by Inarticulate »