home

Author Topic: Maxed-out unit of Knightly Orders? [T9A]  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Maxed-out unit of Knightly Orders? [T9A]
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »
Would a maxed-out unit of Knightly Orders be a viable hammer unit in T9A? That'd be 690 points for a 12-man unit with a full command group. Another 30 pts for a War Standard would be a straightforward choice. Such a unit would put out a whopping 19 lance attacks with S6 WS4 on the charge. Charge being the keyword, so it would be more meant to land a decisive killing blow than slog it out through protracted combat. Not that it'd be helpless in protracted combat either, having all those attacks at S4 would still be quite significant, and it'd resist incoming damage mightily with its grand 1+ armour save.

Conventional wisdom back in 6e/7e day was that a second rank on knights is an expensive extravagance not worth it. In T9A though, that second rank does add some killing power, and perhaps more importantly, lets the unit preserve its killing power in the face of casualties much better than a single-rank unit. Also, having two full ranks (and a guy to spare) gives the ability to negate steadfastness, if that should become relevant.

The main drawback I could imagine, just theoryhammering here, is that you'd be rather reliant on getting the charge, rather than being charged, which might not be easy when there's other cavalry in the world with faster horses.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Maxed-out unit of Knightly Orders? [T9A]
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
Oh yeah, the KO 'mini-deathstar'.  :-P

Someone suggested that a Prelate is an almost auto-include in such a unit. Hatred means he markedly increases the striking potential. No Lance, but 2 Attacks and WS 4, maybe with Greatweapon --> S6? And 3 wounds help somewhat in grinding, whereas a normal KO only has a single wound.

And then you start thinking adding another, more fighty character... With two characters & magical items, the unit cost could reach 1400...1500 pts. Would it be worth it?

Personally, I haven't tried this out, or seen this in game, or even seen a battle report with such an Empire unit. Maybe the competitive players don't think it's worthwhile? But it would sure be a sight, and a thing to remember!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »
In 8th i was tossing the idea around of just having a unit of 10 knights. They look intimidating and provide another good target like a steam tank or griffon. The idea being having lots of things to target that seem intimidating means the enemy will be less likely to focus fire or magic on a seemingly innocent but potent unit of infantry.

My problem is i ran out of gamers, and i also now have no idea about the 9th Age meta.
What is your meta like Konrad?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
Well, I don't have much of a meta, I'm currently living in a place with just a handful of other players. Far as I can tell though, the meta isn't much different from usual tournament fare.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
Fair enough then. Are they keen on T9A? Its hard for me to equate the points to what they used to be (i know they basically just doubled it, but its still a bit frustrating). I think the knights I was considering were the basic type, to make up the numbers cheaply, while also looking tough. I put a basic priest in them to help with rubber lancers, but that was it. I think it came to about 350 or so with priest.

They were like a hittier unit of nilla knights. But the enemy doesnt know that. Only half the attacks, and 1 less strength, but so much cheaper.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
Yeah, T9A is what they're committed to. They even managed to convert one kid who randomly wandered into the club to T9A and away from Age of Skubmar  :happy:

I'm indeed satisfied T9A actually included the unit entry for electoral cavalry. That's practically an acknowledgement of the validity of the concept behind the vanilla knight unit. There's something of a historical correspondence for that too, the demilancer.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
True. I think vanilla knights are an important aspect of the empire army actually.
I have to say, thanks to this thread, i really miss playing and making lists.

Do you think a big unit of vanilla knights would be an option rather than the expensive knights? Or would your group see through it?