home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67921 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Very nice!

I had no idea my model was an old Knight... I prob would have taken time to look at the other Knights first had I known lol.

Oh well.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2020, 01:00:45 AM »
Very nice,  i get the bsb model once i go back to Canada for a visit.  Posted my new game room set up in my thread too. They finally arrived

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2020, 01:19:08 AM »
As usual, all over the place hobby-wise and just finished assembling and priming this old kit:

ESCI 1/72 Panzerjaeger IV! The short barrel version.

Not the greatest kit. I got a bunch of these cheap from a seller some time ago, and ended up getting a bunch of kits I typically wouldn't go out and buy, and I already had the 1/76 Matchbox version with the long barrel, and that one came with a diorama base. But I appreciate having the variety now.

I am really not a big fan of ESCI kits. Of the companies I collect around this scale, Matchbox, Fujimi, Nitto, JB, ICM, and Attack, I have to say ESCI is near the bottom. The one thing they do have going for them is the extra figures that are included, even if they aren't great, where some companies don't include any.

The weird thing about these kits is that the original owner who bought them, wrote the exact date and location from where he bought the models from! All of them I got from him were marked like this. I have no idea why anyone would do this. Maybe to reminisce? Your guess is as good as mine. Kind of touching though, the dude never got around to building this particular one from 1983, so it finally got built in 2020, 37 years later.

Being turretless, and no MG, the tank is kind of boring. Really boring. Some of these assault gun/tank hunters I do like, especially the Stug III, but this just doesn't do much. I guess part of it is the side skirts, since they block the detail of the wheels and make it look boxy. I wouldn't have gotten this if it wasn't dirt cheap, but I am glad I have it. Since I don't care as much about it I am prob going to start painting it this weekend. I don't know why but I am always more motivated working on stuff I care lesser about and having less to lose in case I mess up.  :closed-eyes:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2020, 02:51:03 AM »
The Jagdpanzer 162 f was the designation given to this vehicle in 1944, and so this model is suppose to represent a late war version of this self-propelled gun (mobile anti-tank gun without turret).

These were first built in 1943, supposably because the Stug IIIs had performed so well at Stalingrad, and these were built on a Panzer IV chassis mounted with initially 7.5cm Pak 39 anti-tank barrels, and later Pak 42s.  The overall design was a bit front heavy since it had extra armor and the barrel's added to the front heaviness, making it tough to maneuver in rough terrain, unlike the Stug IIIs. The muzzle brake shown on this one was shown not to be needed, and not used much in the field due to it creating small dust clouds when fired that could give away the gun's position.  At first these vehicles were often used to supplement tank units, especially on the Eastern Front attacking with tanks, although this wasn't what they were good at.  Towards the end of the war they were being grouped with artillery units, like the Stug IIIs, and used for supporting infantry.

There are at least 12 known to still exist in European, Canadian, and US museums, and there was a 13th in Syria, although not sure if it is still there currently.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2020, 03:23:53 AM »
@GP
Why?  Why do you know so much about this particular unit? 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2020, 03:31:45 AM »
Yeah this is very suspicious...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2020, 03:38:07 AM »
Forgot to say KTG17, great asides to the hobby by the way. Really enjoy them.  I used to love tank and vehicle model kits from way back.
I don’t have any left now but they were fun. I don’t recognize this manufacturer either. Was more familiar with Tamiya, Airfix, Revell
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2020, 04:23:52 AM »
When I was a youngster, to be able to play board wargames, or even 54mm miniatues in a sandpit, I usually had to play factions like WW2 Germans, others played the U.S..  Since then I've always been a bit fascinated with many things German military oriented.  Including Renaissance, 18th century, and Napoleonic eras.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2020, 02:03:57 PM »
Forgot to say KTG17, great asides to the hobby by the way. Really enjoy them.  I used to love tank and vehicle model kits from way back.
I don’t have any left now but they were fun. I don’t recognize this manufacturer either. Was more familiar with Tamiya, Airfix, Revell

Great! Wasn't sure anyone would care, but I don't have any other place to post this stuff. None of my friends are into this stuff, I am the odd one out, so glad I can post this stuff and find others who are interested in it too.

I thought about it and have decided to stop posting in this thread, and open a new one in the Count's Tavern that is more generic and where I can post everything. To be honest I have like 2 WFB models to get, and when they are painted I am just going to post the pics in the Brush and Palette. So I think this thread served its purpose and its time to move on.

Many thanks to everyone who responded with answers to all my questions!

When I was a youngster, to be able to play board wargames, or even 54mm miniatues in a sandpit, I usually had to play factions like WW2 Germans, others played the U.S..  Since then I've always been a bit fascinated with many things German military oriented.  Including Renaissance, 18th century, and Napoleonic eras.

Yes me too. Its interesting that the German army in WWII kind of represents about as worse as humanity can get. Not saying every German soldier was an evil Waffen SS, most were just fighting cause they were told to. But its hard to think of one aspect of WWII and not think of Hitler, concentration camps and so on. But the Germans made some really cool shit. And the Nazis and their uniforms, banners, and so on are kind of mesmerizing to be honest. They make everyone else look sloppy. I can't think of a tank or plane they made that doesn't look cool. Even their ships had a distinct style to them.

This is one of my favorite airplanes of all time: the Fieseler Fi 167, meant for the Graf Zeppelin carrier that was never built.

Its messy, a bi-plane in an era of monoplanes, slow, prob very easy to shoot down, but it just looks so badass.

I am dying to build one of these in 1/144 scale if F-Toys ever makes it.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #359 on: January 26, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
I can move all these posts over if you like.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »

You mean pick up the whole thread and move it?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
WHO WANTS TO SEE MY MORDHEIM GANGS????????

I know I said I wouldn't post pics until they are were painted, but I have too much going on and are really excited about them.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »

You mean pick up the whole thread and move it?

No, its possible to split posts out.
I can split out all the WW stuff into its own thread, and put it in the Counts Tavern if you like.

WHO WANTS TO SEE MY MORDHEIM GANGS????????

I know I said I wouldn't post pics until they are were painted, but I have too much going on and are really excited about them.

Me. Definitely.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Yes. Mordeheim please
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »
Okay, a few notes:

First of all, I am sorry I know my pics aren't the best. I hoped that once these were all painted I would set up some kind of studio to take proper pics with, but lets be real we're talking about me here. A lot of the detail I have given them prob wont show up in the pics so hopefully whenever I am done painting them, they will be shown off more.

Also want to say, that I just didn't slap pieces together. I really gave thought about what kind of personality(ies) I wanted and then went looking for the parts. I was lucky to accumulate a ton of bits over the last year to do these. I used a mix of the older parts with the new (I am sure you'll recognize them), and its safe to say had I not recently gone with the newer models, none of these would look like they do. So its nice how everything turned out.

Also, I used the starter gangs in the Mordhiem starter and the expansion sets like the Witchhunters and so on as guides. So most Human gangs run 8 guys, with at least one Champion and Youngblood, while others might have a few more for because they get more points (like Marienburg) or just have a higher model count due to point cost (Undead).

So here are the first 4 gangs I have finished assembling, and the stories behind each. . .

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
Reiklanders

Konrad (Captain) - Konrad is a former general in the Reikland army, who bacame dischanted with serving after the Battle of <insert bridge name here> Bridge. A horde of Orcs was moving on to the City of Helmgart. Rather than defend the city from the walls of the fortress, Margrave Reinhardt von Mackensen made the decsion to march out to meet the horde. Konrad was assigned a few regiments to guard a small bridge while the rest of the army swung around a small mountain to hit the greeenskins from the rear, but unknown to everyone, the Orcs had moved quicker than anticipated and launched an attack against Konrad's small holding force.

Konrad was aware that there was nothing between the Orcs and the unguarded town and held his ground while frantically sending messages to the main army, which turned out to be just engaging the rear of the Orc horde. The Orc horde pressed on though, and wore down Konrad's small force as ranks began to thin out. Just as it seemed all was lost, the Orcs fled, and in their retreat was smashed by the main army.

The main army was confident in their victory, believing that it was them who delivered the main blow against the horde, when it was indeed Konrad, and so many others who lost their lives, who were the true heroes of the day. When word reached Mackensen on the deeds of Konrad and his men, as well as the realization that they were not the ones to have saved the city from destruction, embarrassment ensued and few accolades were given.

Later Konrad settled in a small tavern in Helmgart, awaiting for the remainder of his force to join him, when he overheard a party of adverturers who had just arrived in Helmgart. This party, made up of a barbarian, a wizard, an elf, and a dwarf, were joyfully drinking to their recent success of finding treasure in a Orc lair in the mountains. Konrad discreetly listened as they recounted their adventure, as well as their plans for another to a nearby catacolm rumored to be filled with the undead.

When his men arrived to join him, Konrad was mostly convinced he no longer wanted to fight for an army which did not recognize not only his abilities, but also the sacrifices his men made. He asked his men if they would consider fighting for their own benefit. The discussion didn't take very long, and before sunrise, Konrad led his men out of Helmgart to the catacombs, with the intent of getting there before the adventurers.

Upon arriving, Konrad's men turned a little apprehensive, but in short order Konrad organized his small force into ranks: swordsmen in front, gunners firing over their shoulders. Ghastly creations of all kinds threw themselves as the Reiklanders as they advanced through the catacombs, which loaded with various traps, were just as dangerous as the monsters they faced. But Konrad kept the men disciplined, mantaining their formation, and slew undead after undead.

Finally they reached the final chamber which contained an ancient Liche, who rose out of his sarcophagus, freezing Konrad's men with fear. In that moment, Konrad thought of his position, his treatment in the Empire's army, the loss of his men, and what the future held for him. He gripped his sword tightly, stepped through the rank of men before him, and engaged the Liche in one on one combat. Inspired by his leadership, the rest of his men followed, screaming their warcries as they charged.

The Liche did not stand a chance.

Once the slaughter was done, they gathered some ancient treasure. It wasn't as great as Konrad had hoped, but it was enough to excite his men for future adventures, which would shortly lead them to Mordheim.

Designer Note: Konrad is essentially the OOP Empire General. I chose not to use the awesome sword that kit came with as I saw it as too heroic, which I feel more belongs in WFB, and chose to make a custom one using the Lance arm and a normal Swordsman sword.

Manfred (Champion) - Manfred was Konrad's Battle Standard Bearer. He has traded in his standard for a great weapon. The men look up Manfred almost as much as they do Konrad.

Roy (Yongblood) - Roy is the former drummer boy for Konrad's regiment of Swordsmen and a budding psychopath. Having been bullied and picked on repeatedly by Thomas, Richard, and Harold (see below) as far back as anyone can remember, this has an effect on Roy, who has become somewhat sadistic. Not as good as a fighter as the rest, he tends to follow others and finish off enemy wounded.

Konrad is aware of Roy's disposition but isn't quite sure what to do about it.

Thomas, Richard, and Harold (Swordsmen) - If there was such a thing as war crimes in WFB, these guys would be guilty of just about all of them. It really shouldn't be a surprise that these three were the last survivors of their regiment. When not in combat they used to spend their time picking on Roy, but as of late they aren't sure that is the best thing to do as the thought of Roy slitting their throats while they slept has begun to cross their minds.

Designer Note: These guys are mostly made up of the newer Swordsmen models, and while the pictures don't show them well, the shields are actually all different. I plan on painting each shield different to differentiate the three. I also spent a great deal of time customizing two of the heads, and didn't shave down the heads as much as I should have. I really wanted to show off three different faces but I can see after the fact that two of the helmets sit too high on their heads.

Alfred and Gustav (Marksmen) - Like Thomas, Richard, and Harold, they are the last survivors of their detachment.

For painting, I am planning to mostly follow Reikland army colors, so a lot of white. The idea is that Konrad and his men have only recently left the army, so still have much of their army gear, but I will throw in some other colors to represent them buying additional gear after getting some loot from their earlier adventures.

I know Reiklanders benefit from having better Marksmen than the other mercenaries, and thus should have given them more gunners, but the idea was to make these guys look like a mini-WFB army themselves; unit of hand weapons, unit of ranged weapons, general, standard, etc. I really wanted three swordsmen, so all I had left was two slots of the marksmen.

500 point Roster

Konrad (Captain) - 60
 + Sword - 10
 + Light Armor - 20
 + Shield - 5

Manfred (Champion) - 35
 + Great Weapon - 15
 + Light Armor - 20
 (I know the model is wearing a helmet but don't have the points to give him one - so its just a cap for now)

Roy (Youngblood) - 15
 + Sword - 10

Swordsmen (Thomas, Richard, Harold) - 105
 + Swords (3) - 30
 + Helmets (3) - 30
 + Shields (3) - 15

Marksmen (Alfred, Gustav) - 50
 + Handguns (2) - 70
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:47:39 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2020, 05:58:20 PM »
Marienburg

Marius (Captain) - Marius is a well known merchant in Marienburg for a number of reasons. First, while having the talent for eyeing a number good deals involving a variety of circumstances, then making some coin, then only to lose much of it on some big bet (for example: betting on commodity futures and losing badly), then being forced to work side jobs like runs into Mordheim to pay off his creditors.

Marius is always accompanied by Markus, his bag man who carries all of his coin. He is also accompanied by his two nephews, Hans and Franz.

The rest of his gang is made up of street rabble and pirates found at the docks in Marienburg, who tend to be between jobs and desperate for pay. Marius always takes advantage of these guys, refusing to pay anything more than the bare minimum, as well as detailing in fine print the penalties for not fulfilling the contracts in full. This includes following orders when on trips to Mordheim. This can involve all sorts of circumstances, such as:

"Marsden! Attack that dragon from behind or I am docking 40gp from your pay!"

"Oi! But you are only paying me 35!"

"Then you will owe me 5 when we get back to Marienburg!"

Since Marius doesn't really care about these ruffians, he only spends the minimum required for them to do their job. He sees them as expendable and serve to distract or do the hard work while he and Markus go for the rewards.

Marius is actually a good tactician, but running around the streets of Mordheim isn't really what he wants to do. He seeks to be a successful and respected merchant in Marienburg, but for every one step forward, he ends up taking two steps back.

Markus (Champion) - Markus is Marius's bagman. He carries all of the money, and defends it with a brace of pistols against anyone who gets too close. Markus is famous for rarely saying a word, expect when told by Marius to 'pay the man' where Markus will then count out the coin VERY SLOWLY, much to the impatience of those in wait, and never miscounts. Most people know Markus as the guy who silently sits and listens to Marius rambling about everything over ale in one of many Marienburg's taverns.

Designer Note: I had initially given Markus a Blunderbus, but after realizing I misread the rules I fell back on the brace of pistols. I really imagined him opening up with a Blunderbus on those getting too close to the money bag, but for now its going to have to be with two pistols.

Original:

Hans and Franz (Youngbloods) - Hans and Franz are Marius's nephews from his sister. A couple of delinquents well known to Marienburg constables, Marius sister begged and pleaded with Marius to take them in and teach them how to be respectable merchants, hoping to turn their behavior around. Obviously Marius isn't quite upfront with his family with what his career actually involves.

So one evening over ale Marius was ranting on about not agreeing with his sisters proposal when Markus, in one of the rare times during their friendship, offered a suggestion:

"Why not take them on as unpaid apprentices?"

Marius eye opened wide, and agreed to the great idea.

Marius provided them with improvements to their wardrobe to benefit his own image, but as the saying goes, you can take the boy out of the trash, but you can't take the trash out of the boy. Nevertheless, both Hans and Franz are misguidedly loyal to their uncle, often bragging to others about their trips to Mordheim to do 'merchant work'.

The Henchmen - The nameless faces of the ruffians that Marius hires come and go. Not only are they not really expected to survive, Marius hopes the do not, so he can get out of paying them.

Designer Note: I decided to make the henchmen look like typical pirates, and aren't painting them up in the typical Marienburg fashion I keep seeing. So this gang will look like two gangs in one, the well-dressed and colorful Marius, Markus, Hans and Franz with the big feathers, then the muted bum looking guys who make up the expendables.

600 point Roster

Marius (Captain) - 60
 + Sword - 10
 + Dueling Pistol - 25
 + Light Armor - 20

Markus (Champion) - 35
 + Sword - 10
 + Brace of Pistols - 30
 + Light Armor - 20

Hans (Youngbloods) - 15
 + Sword - 10
 + Light Armor - 20
 + Shield - 5

Franz (Youngbloods) - 15
 + Sword - 10
 + Light Armor - 20
 + Shield - 5

Swordsmen (4) - 140
 + Swords (40)

Marksmen (2) - 50
 + Crossbows (2) - 50
 + Axes (2) - 10
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:34:21 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
Middleheim

Designer Note: These guys were pretty tough for me to decide on. I really are still learning the WFB Lore and leaned more on actual historical stuff on their look. I settled on a Germanic feel to them, like a band of marauding thugs.

As I wanted each human mercenary band to be different, and to take advantage the Middleheimers get with their Champions, I opted to give these guys two of them.

I also wanted to differentiate them in weapons from the other gangs, so used as much as I could off the White Wolf sprues. That meant a lot of hammers, which I admit I am not fond of, and it to round out 500 points even I ended up taking five of them!

Valdemar (Captain) - (This is totally a work in progress) By most counts, Valdemar should be retired by now, but no one is really sure how old he is, even himself. Born in a remote northern village where his father died at an early age, Valdemar had to grow up quickly to take care of his mother and siblings.

It helped that Valdemar was a mountain of a young boy, and was admired by many in the surrounding area for his stoic presence during dangerous times. But he was curious of the outside world, and that of the empire, but had to wait until his siblings were all old enough to take care of his mother and home before he could go and explore.

While his initial motivation was to see what was out there, he began to enjoy the rewards of fortune, and for each giant wolf he slew, or Marauder he saved nearby villages from, his fame grew and grew, eventually motivating warriors in the surrounding area to join him on his 'exploring'.

It was a barbarian life style, which Valdemar and his gang excelled at. And during trips to the various towns within the empire, they were just about as quick to fight State Troops as they were enemies of the state. Before long they were forced to keep out of the cities and stay within the smaller towns, where the various local guards were really unable to do anything about them.

Designer Notes - This guy was essentially made up with leftovers from my bits box, and I am happy how he turned out. Think of the barbarian leader in the beginning of the film Gladiator, and you get a sense of what I was going for.

Boris and Ferdinand (Champions) - Two of Valdemar's champions. I don't have their back stories figured out yet.

Beck (Youngblood) - Some juvi who is more like tagging along. I don't have his back stories figured out yet, and I hate the head but its the only young looking one I have left. Will change it the first chance I get.

Actually the more I look at his picture the more I hate him, Changes coming!

Rolf and Adlar (Swordsmen) - I thought of the TV show Vikings when I sat down to make these guys. I don't have their back stories figured out yet.

Designer Note - If you think you recognize the shields, yes they are the old Spearmen shields. I just scrapped off and sanded down the lion faces. Did the same for Valdemar and Boris. Not sure how I will paint these yet but will look to historic designs when I do.

Herwig and Ulrich (Marksmen) - Longbow men. I don't have their back stories figured out yet.

500 point Roster

Valdemar (Captain) - 60
 + Sword - 10
 + Heavy Armor - 50
 + Shield - 5

Boris (Champion) - 35
 + Sword - 10
 + Light Armor - 20
 + Shield - 5

Ferdinand (Champion) - 35
 + Great Weapon - 15
 + Light Armor - 20

Beck (Youngblood) - 15
 + Hammer - 3
 + Light Armor - 20
 + Buckler - 5

Warriors (Rolf and Adlar) - 50
 + Hammers (2) - 6
 + Light Armor (2) - 40
 + Shields (2) - 10

Marksmen (Herwig and Ulrich) - 50
 + Longbows (2) - 30
 + Hammers (2) - 6

Designer Note: I think the meat of this gang is in Valdemar, Boris, and Ferdiand. Where as my Reiklanders would probably fight as a cohesive unit, and the Marienburg as a group of elites sending off expendables, I think the success and failure really rests on the big three charging head on into the fight. At least, that is what I am intending.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:32:07 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2020, 06:24:47 PM »
Da Mob (Da Profeshernalz)

Still working on these guy's back story. But hey, they are Orcs... what kind of story do they need?

Grimfang (Boss) - Haven't worked out his story yet.

Bonekraka (Big 'Un) - Think of Blaster from the movie Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Not very bright, really angry, and everyone pretty much gets out of his way when the battle starts.

Murgor (Shaman)

Nozgrot and Snagrod (Boyz) - Front-line thugs

Gogard and Gimzrot (Boyz) - Bows.

Grozbag and Raznik (Goblins) - Goblins...

500 Point Roster

Grimfang (Boss) - 80
 + Sword - 10
 + Helmet - 10
 + Shield - 5
 + Light Armor - 20

Bonekraka (Big Un) - 40
 + Two-Handed Weapon - 15
 + Helmet - 10
 + Light Armor - 20

Murgor (Shaman) - 40
 + Sword - 10

Boys (Nozgrot and Snagrod) - 50
 + Swords (2) - 20
 + Shields (2) - 10
 + Light Armor (2) - 40

Boys (Gogard and Gimzrot) - 50
 + Bows (2) - 20

Grozbag and Raznik (Goblins) 20
 + Spears (2) - 20
 + Shields (2) - 10

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
God damn that was exhausting to write up and post.

I would like to point out that I have about enough bits to make 3 more Mercenary gangs, although nowhere near as nice pieces as I have used above. One I was thinking of doing was going to be another Marienburg gang made up of people that Marius owes money to. I might do a more normal Reikland-looking gang, and not sure what to do with the last.

I also have Skaven, Undead, Cult of the Possessed, and Witchhunters to do, but you've seen the models for most of those.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
Great writeup though!

Reikland backstory is heavy. Explains their cohesiveness. Liked the reference to either Warhammer Quest or Heroquest. Nice one.
Marienburg backstory is great. Really love the attitide of Marius, and his exploitation of his nephews, but also their pride in their jobs.
Middenhiem - youngblood - i agree, that has always been one of my least favourite heads too.

Would love to hear some orc backstory, and the backstories of the other warbands.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2020, 12:49:39 PM »
Enjoyed reading all the detail on these guys.  :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

And yes, I'm for a back story on the O&G as well!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #373 on: January 29, 2020, 02:01:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I know the Middleheim story needs work. I kinda rushed it.

So I was looking at the 6th edition box again, and I am really thinking of painting my first Empire army in those colors, even if they aren't legit. I have enough models to make 3 well rounded 1000 point armies aside from the starter army I have been working on, and will no doubt use official provinces when I go to paint them, but I wouldn't mind doing something crazy to get it out of my system.

It looks like I could go with either blue shirts with red pants, or red shirts with what I assume would be blue pants (art isn't clear). And then the spearmen look like they have yellow shirts with blue pants. And the sleeves have those stripe things that seem to match the pants colors, although most of my models don't have those. Right now the only foot soldiers I have are Swordsmen and Handgunners. I do have those Spearmen, but I was intending on saving those for one of my other armies.

I am not sure what I would do with the knights. They are built to look like those Reikland guys I think, so not sure I would go crazy adding too much color to them.

I am also torn about going crazy on my General models, the older style ones. I really like those guys and aren't sure I would want to go crazy color on them.

But there is just something about that box lid.

I am a big sucker for starter sets. I rarely get into a game without one. And I tend to expand on the starter armies. I feel like that is where the universe starts when opening the box. I have done this especially with 40k.

If I only had one Empire army, it would be Talabheim no question, and one of my three will be. And I haven't the slightest idea what my other two will be (although I have given  Reikland some thought as I haven't seen many of them). But I also consider this small Empire army a burner army, and I really would rather not make it a Talabheim one, only to make another Talabheim one later.

And the General on the box looks like his horse is in some kind of bronze/gold color barding. Even his armor looks the same. Not crazy about that. Guess I would just make them silver.

What do you guys think? Have you ever seen anyone paint up minis that like the ones on the cover?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2020, 02:19:53 AM »
I personally haven’t. I used Hochland. But back in the day, we had all colour scheme armies posted here both in the B&P and the EF before we created the B&P. There are the Province threads - they may have links to peoples blogs or pictures.

Red and Blue is Altdorf
Red and White is Talabhiem
Red and Yellow is Talabecland
Blue and White is Middenhiem
Blue and Yellow is Nordland

Armour can be whatever you like. Silvers, golds, bronzes, whatever you feel like. Champions and characters could have special armour, heirlooms, or regular like their troops. Whatever you fancy.
Empire has a lot more scope for colour on our core troops than a lot of other armies, which makes it fun to decide on what colour fits best. The colours (heraldry) match a province, which may also match a stype of play - much like you have identifed in your mordhiem warbands. Its one reason I like Empire - because of how deep the opportunities are for theming if you want to.