home

Author Topic: Altdorf versus Middenland  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Altdorf versus Middenland
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:04:29 PM »
Greetings all! There hasn't been a battle report posted since sometime in 2018.  Couldn't decide whether to put it in Kings of War or Battle Reports.  Since we are trying to increase traffic to the site, I thought I would post it here and then share it with my Facebook friends. 

My friend Craig played my army of Altdorf.  It was the army I took to my first GT way back in the day.  I played my Middenland army. It is also an army I've taken to several GTs. Neither one of them finished very highly but they were fun to play. 

I setup pretty hard on my right flank.  Two units of knights, two units of Pistoliers, my wizard and one of my BSBs.  My Captain was also over there supervising.  My idea was to pinch his left flank against the board sides and eliminate it.  At one point I thought I had it.  Then my units failed to kill his horde of free company.  THEN instead of dying my pistoliers lived.  That allowed him to re-position his steamtank and the griffon rider.  Though his flagellants and his free company died, so did all my both units of my knights, and both units of pistoliers, my bsb (from a cannon).  Just one unit that held too long messed up my entire plan. 

On my other flank, I used the Captain's ability to redeploy units.  I moved my HUGE pike block over to my left flank.  The Pikemen, a unit of greatswords and one unit of Knights of Ulric destroyed his flank.  I managed to kill both regiments of knights, his pistoliers, and a Horde of Ogres.

However as I was trying to exploit his handgunner horde extracted revenge getting rid of BOTH my knights and my pikemen.  I went from winning to losing just that fast. 

In the middle I was weak.  Though I manged to hold them up, but his griffon rider did me in charging a unit weakened by shooting.   I finally killed him with my cannons, but the damage was done. 

When the smoke cleared I had two cannons, one unit of greatswords, and a unit of crossbowmen left. I went from winning to getting slaughtered. :) 

"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Altdorf versus Middenland
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Great - nice to see armies on a battlefield again.

I think the best place for this is the actual Kings of War board.
The concept of the new layout was to provide a board for each game where we could still use our Warhammer Fantasy armies.

Anything to fuel interest in that game should go in that board.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 11:46:29 PM »
Wondering how a pistolier unit that lasted longer than expected caused an issue?  I see where  it reads that it allowed a re-position of a steam tank and griffon rider, yet not sure if this caused an inability to hit them with your knights or what.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:17:51 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:47:14 AM »
Interesting stuff just don't know if I could ever go back to Kings of War style which reminds me a lot of the Medieval wargames I started out with a kid (I recall playing Tactica with Lego men armies before I had enough proper miniatures).

Just wondering though, I assume Foosballmen always fail their Underground advance rules?
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
Wondering how a pistolier unit that lasted longer than expected caused an issue?  I see where  it reads that it allowed a re-position of a steam tank and griffon rider, yet not sure if this caused an inability to hit them with your knights or what.

What happened is I wanted the pistoliers to die, so that I could charge the flagellants behind them.  Since they held Craig moved his Griffon Rider and his Steamtank away knowing I couldn't reposition fast enough.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:13:28 AM »
Nice looking battle!  :-)

Using chaff and baits certainly works differently in KoW, where you cannot flee and units may hold against the odds. I've had a similar problem with a glasshammer unit of Fanatics (Flagellants), which I threw against an Ogre horde, but which held against the retaliation, keeping my own horde from finishing the Ogres off.

I'm beginning to think that you need two small throwaway units to properly contain an enemy, and one of them should always flank. In this way, if the enemy cannot finish off the one small unit on its front, you get a flank charge with the other small unit. And if the enemy finishes the small unit on its front, they have to turn around to confront the other small unit, which probably opens their flank or rear for other charges.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.