home

Author Topic: My Army progress (Very Pic heavy)  (Read 25026 times)

Offline Claus79

• Members
My Army progress (Very Pic heavy)
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
Heya all

i joined this lovely site about a while ago, and only posted once or twice i think, ive been reading and viewing the threads and pictures with much interest and id like to up front thank you all for being apart of a serious site where youre both able to give just cheers for good work, and constructive critism on possible ways to better ongoing work.

Thus ive decided to prober be apart of the site, one must contribute to the site. And hence i will be posting my White army in its progress, i would dearly love advice on possible ways to better myself or my techniques (not changing the colour scheme)

Anyways, hope you enjoy them.

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/claus79/

Sincerely Claus
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:26:18 PM by Claus79 »

Offline Kirgan

• Members
Re: My Army progress (id love some advice on possible improvements)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
Nice painting maybe some wash and stronger highlights  :smile2:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:27:52 PM »
i think they look very good anyway to copy them onto this sight?? :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:49:53 AM »
i dont know how to use wash prober, everytime ive experimented with it its becomes.. messy.. like it was done with Army painter.

Stronger highlights id love, but again, unless its a raised surface or big area without detail it ends up looking a bit messy rather then good.

Either way, any links, tips or words of wisdom on how to maybe get the hang of those two skills?

Claus

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »
I really like it.  I think you should work on your light source though in the pictures.  It looks like your light source is behind your models, which makes it hard to see highlights and detail on the models.  Try to use at least two if you can (three is best!), one directly above the models and one or two from an angle on the sides or front.  From experience I can tell you it makes it much easier to give feedback on painted minis when we can see it as well as you can.

Highlighting.  Two things really come to mind thinking about my first steps into layering.  The first is that you need to water down the paint.  It's a tricky balance, since if you water it down too much the paint will just spill over the model(like a wash), but it helps tremendously.  The goal here is that you have the paint flowing off the brush easily and in smooth lines, but not spilling over or into detail. 

A decision you probably have to make is also where to highlight.  Many people highlight as if there were a light source hitting the model from somewhere, usually directly above the model.  It tends to look a little dark, but realistic.  The other option (and one I find myself leaning towards these days) is to highlight the model to bring out the detail often irrespective of a light source direction.  If you look at examples from GWs Eavy Metal team you will see the latter more often than not, since they are trying to show off the models rather than trying to make them look realistically highlighted. 

Washes.  I have never tried to paint much cream or white, but you may be able to make a wash from bleached bone or something similar by adding enough water.  Even if you use an actual wash, I would still water it down.  I find that most washes are too strong on their own, and if the goal is to just shade the recesses of the area adding a little water helps.  One thing also about washes is that you have to be deliberate about applying it.  Don't just throw a bunch onto a model and expect it to get everywhere you want it to and nowhere you don't.  Apply it directly where you want it and check after it's run over the model a bit to make sure it didn't go somewhere you didn't want.

Great looking army though, it is a very brave thing you did to paint that much white!

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:05 PM »
Sweet looking army.

How would I improve on it? Well bad news, its too cool, you cant make it look any sweeter. You might perhaps go back and do some detailing... but to be honest this army looks sweet. Good Job.

I would focus on either painting new troops to make it more competitive (Get a horde in there). You could work on a display board to make transportation easier or perhaps make a terrain board to add to the narrative of your army. You could get together with a few of your friends and mabie do a photo shoot of the army for better photos.

Great army, thankyou for posting it.
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
Thanks alot for the kind words, warms the heart :)

True the lightsource is behind the models, ill make sure to have some light directly on the as well next time :)

Cheers for the wash explanation, ill try them out soon. starting with a very thinned down Bleached bone.
I am gonna get a horde going at some point, not sure if i should make it a swordsman or halbardier one tho im leaning towards halbardiers.

I tend to work on a unit til they start to get tedious, then i switch to something else for a while, til i get the urge to finish it back :)
As i shown with the swordsmen.. think i hit the wall after number 15, and im now working on my flagellants.

The idea of a display board is tempting, got any links or suggestions where i might get a better idea of what youre thinking?

Anyways, cheers for the kind feedback

Claus

Offline Aaraden

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Great looking army!  Love the colors.  I particularly like the bases, how did you make them?
- Paul

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »
I was thinking about the wash idea:  It would be nice to have a little highlight from wash in the sleeves but the white is sooo nice and crisp it would be a shame to dirty it.  I'd encourage you to experiment with the cannon crew first, but really I like it just the way it is.
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:13:42 AM »
The bases are a mix of some bought from micro art studio, and some plastic sheets from West Germany (not kidding) i happen to stumble upon in a hobby shop.

I am gonna try to see if i can maintain the crisp whiteness (because i love it as well :P) even with some wash, Exams these days so not for a few more days though :)

Merry x-mas all

Claus

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
Long overdue update to the photoalbum, im a somewhat slow painter compared to some of you so just a few new things. I have however, following the advice from a thread about photos; taken some new, and much better pictures.

Hope you enjoy them and might have some suggestions on plausible improvements.

Kindest regards

Claus

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/claus79/

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
You got some very nice pieces in there, but if I where you I would link those pictures directly into your posts here (many forum browsers do not take the time to click on)

Also I am not inclined to link this thread into the sticky if there is nothing to show directly here.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
what a great looking army...very impressive :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
Looking good. I'm getting Tilean city militia vibes.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Firey Baps

• Members
  • Quo Fata Vocant
Re: My Army progress (Very Pic heavy)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
Absolutely love that creamy white! My only problem is the cannon painted the same way, and maybe washes on the skin?
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
Great job!

I've never seen an Empire army like it, the Steam Tank especially is really unique. But I love the whole look of the army.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
what a pimped out ride steamtank you have!
A daring coloursheme but it looks great! well done!  :eusa_clap:

could you tell us where Fat Man comes from?
and maybe provide a bird eye's view of Fat Man?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Nuigen

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Big boy is a Gamezone Great Cannon. The BSB is also Gamezone.

http://gamezoneminiatures.de/imperium/infanterie/grosse-kanone.html

They have some nice stuff.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
I love the coloursceme, it works very well this off-white with real white. However, it lacks a bit of definition. With this I mean that it could do with some extra shading. Of course, white is one of the hardest colours to pull of rightly. However, with some very dilluted Astronomian Grey (a GW foundation colour) you could get the deepest places a bit more shown. If I would do it, I'd go for a base of Astronomican Grey, followed by a wash of Fortress grey. This way you, have you shading and base layer. Then start layering with white. If you think that the shadows are still too grey, you can use a couple of washes of Skull white to bring the shadows and to layers more to eachother.

Like here, on this HE archer I tried to get the shading right on white. I thought the grey was too dark as added a couple of washes in Skull White and it worked rather well to bring the colours closer to eachother and also 'brighten' the grey more to white:

Also the white looks a bit 'thick' as the paint was a bit to dry when applied. Best to use multiple thin layers then one too thick covering some detail.

----------------------------------------------------

Still these two minor things are nothing too big. It looks like one killer army. And as I said, the coloursceme works wonders
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:19:08 PM by LochNESS »
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
nice work, the army is totally unique, white !

STANK is a treat ,

I've never thought of painting troops white like that!
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
I concur. great stank, may have to try it myself. Quite ambitious project well handled. thanks for sharing. steveb

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:43 PM »
Great White  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, its nice to be complimented when you put in the effort :)

The shading part youre recommending LochNESS, they have some allthough the pictures dont show it that well and its very little. i love the picture you put in which is certainly something im gonna try out, many thanks for the grand idea mate :)

what a pimped out ride steamtank you have!
A daring coloursheme but it looks great! well done!  :eusa_clap:

could you tell us where Fat Man comes from?
and maybe provide a bird eye's view of Fat Man?

Yeah Fat man is from Gamezone, and ill take a birdseye view picture of it soonish.

Absolutely love that creamy white! My only problem is the cannon painted the same way, and maybe washes on the skin?

Ive tried using wash on the skin, but for some reason it just looks.. dirty.. lack of skill i know.. but for the time being ive given up on it.

Kind regards

Claus
who is greatful for the kind words

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
I think the spearmen may be the best looking unit , very nice
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Heinrich Kramer

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »
Where did the heads on the swordsmen come from (1st pic). They go great with the Lorenzo Lupo model.