home

Author Topic: Count Claudius's Talabecland  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
Count Claudius's Talabecland
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Hey all,
i just recently started to collect an empire army. While looking at all the different army colors i decided i would paint mine in the mighty colors of talabacland.

Only problem is I am having trouble painting skin/ highlighting in general....

Here is a pic of my test model:

Any advice on how to improve this model would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:20:36 PM by Count Claudius »

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: Count Claudius's Talabacland
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
That looks pretty good to me. The problem I see is your eyes. They have the scared stare look to them. The iris should fill the eye socket so you should only see white in the corners and not above or below. I'd also look at cleaning your mold lines better.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Welcome aboard! :smile2:

My opinion: The clothing is okay. This is rank&file, so the quality is perfectly fine for tabletop.

Issue 1 is the shoes. Pure black looks flat. Black is difficult to highlight, so I suggest you use Scorched Brown instead and shade it with black wash. Problem solved.

Issue 2 is the eyes. I hope I don't offend you, but dang, those are scary! They look as if the eyeballs were rolling out of the sockets. Excellent for zombies, not so much for state troops. Use pure white for the eyeballs, and take care that the wash doesn't run into them when you shade the face (paint the eyes last). Eyes are, in my opinion, the part that can make or break a model most easily.

Hope this helps!

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the comment   :-)

My question for you is what can i do to make the clothing look better/ what colors would you suggest using to highlight

yellow: 1:1 mix Iyanden darksun and golden yellow
red: 1:1 mechrite red and blood red

Thanks!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Hm, I have not yet experimented with mixing normal paint and foundation paints, so I can't comment on your ideas.

Fast version: What you can do is apply Devlan Mud to the entire clothing (perhaps thinned down a bit). That will darken the clothing, especially the yellow. You can then highlight with the initial colour. Personally, I don't like the look on my minis, but some members here use the washes to great effect. Look for Zero_Zwentythree and Shadowlord.

Slow version: For sharp highlights on red, I recommend mixing it with Elf Flesh instead of lighter reds, using pure Elf Flesh for the final highlights. Conversely, I find Dark Flesh is good base colour for red if you are layering it.

Edit: You're welcome! I recommend browsing around a bit here, there are some great painters on this site.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:27:29 PM by Gneisenau »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:34 AM »
Keep up the good work and see what you can do with the pointers given!!

Added your blog to the sticky on top (we don't have that many Talabecland blogs)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »
If you are using the foundation paints my advise would be to thin them down, that goes for all paints really... You'll get a much smoother finnish with multiple thin layers than you would using just one thick cote. As far as shading goes, washes are your friend. The GW ones are excellent. Once you've blocked in the base colors and shaded them (washed the area) start layering on the highlighs in progressivly brighter tones. For red you could try 1:1 Mecrite Red to Blood Red, then pure Blood Red then 1:1 Blood Red to Fiery Orange as highlighs to a Mecrite Red base. Just remember to keep the paints thin.

I'd also advise to you to give your models an exta "quick once over" before priming and painting to ensure that you've gotten rid of any eventual moldlines/flash. Moldlines are the devil!

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
Re: Count Claudius's Talabecland
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice all   :-)

Couple questions...

1) how thin do you want your paints to be when watering it down? I have heard milk-like consistency but i would think if its that watered down it would run heavily.....
2) Was thinking of layering up the yellows on the model. Starting with bestial brown then the foundation Iyaden Darksun followed by highlights of Iyaden Darksun + Golden yellow. What do you all think of this method.

Unfortunantely my original model did have washes for the red which was 50/50 baal red/ devlan mud.... the yellow was washed with gryphonne sepia... but it really doesn't show... so that is why i was thinking of layering instead...

Thanks for all the help!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
How much to thin your paints comes down to personal preference and painting style. When thinning paints that much you can't load as much on to the brush as you are correct, it will run. You have to be more careful. Generally though, thinning to that consistancy is recommend for some techniques. You can get away with less thinning if you aren't taking advantage of the thin paints ability to allow lower layers to show through and give a blending effect. If you are just trying to keep your paints smooth, I find about 1 drop of water to about 3 or 4 drops of paint is sufficient to apply paint smoothly. Depending on how fast you use your paints, you may have to add more water as time goes by in order to keep it at the same consistancy.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
ok so after attempting to paint a little more and thinning the paints ever so slightly more i think i have come up with a red color that  like.

Start with dark flesh basecoat
layer on  mechrite red in everything but the recesses
layer on 50:50 mechrite red/ blood red again everything but the recesses but leaving a little of the last coat showing...

i'll try to get a picture up in a couple of hours but anyways...

what do you guys think of that?

And also what do you suggest for making a nice looking yellow?

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00:46 PM »
Here is the state troops red cloth:

still no highlighting as i suck at it.... not even sure where i would highlighten...

Sorry for the newbie questions  :wink:

Thanks

Offline Dark Apostle

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »
You could try to put some thin highlights along the seams of the trousers and on the raised areas around the folds.

As for yellow, I really don't paint that colour that much - but stating with a layer of Iyanden darksun should help for good coverage (even on a black undercoat), then a layer of sunburst yellow, followed by a Gryphon Sepia wash. Then do sunburst again (leaving the darker wash showing in the recesses) and a highlight with a mix of sunburst / bleached bone.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
I quite like his eyes, just the right mix of crazed and terrified for a soldier stabbing wildly at some hulking green monster swinging a choppa at him

Offline Ricardo-PB

• Members
  • Loves the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:27:11 AM »
I like the eyes. As for my 2 cents: devlan mud wash, or baddab black. Toss it on there.

To highlight just throw lighter colors where they should be sticking out, darker where there should be shade. Not like I'm an expert, but, thats the idea.

Again, I like the eyes, should look cool from a distance.
Our skins may be thin, but, Our women are the finest, our armor the thickest, our spirits the strongest, and our weapons even stronger when we're filled with the spirit of alcoholic spirits and women! So sharpen your halberds, prime the guns, and remember that we fight the good fight for our Empire!

Offline Firey Baps

• Members
  • Quo Fata Vocant
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
I think for rank and file that looks pretty damn awesome!
The only trouble is getting rid of the mould lines (the arch nemesis of all things) and doing something about the boots. If you want to keep them black, a dark grey highlight around some raised edges should do the job fine.

Look forward to seeing more!
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!!!
Haven't had much time to paint recently but i did manage to finish one more RnF

here are my efforts:

And my attempt at pinpoint highlighting

Cheers!

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
That looks much cleaner and better than the first one! Bravo !  :eusa_clap:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
thanks Silver Wolf!!!  :smile2:

Offline Scarr Gunliner

• Members
  • BRB at hand. If you want tactics, choose tactics.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »

Why is Pikachu's tail on this guy?

I like the things you have painted so far.
Although quite low, Marius look high and strong in his power. He has a worn hat on his head, which big folds fall down over his ears. He has a long grey cape that hangs over his body and makes it impossible to identify him without taking it off. His body is covered in fur and his hands is ethereal.

Offline Count Claudius

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »
haha Scarr!!!!  :laugh: thats a good question!!! it looks like its suppose to be some sort of purity mark or banner or whatever..... l :happy:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
I like the face of the first guy, especially his eyes, that is the precise look the empire troops get when they have to face the unit of chaos warriors: scared to death and very concerned of: what now?
Don't change it. :wink:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0