home

Author Topic: SpaceCowboy's Ostermark Army Upd. 12/5  (Read 76892 times)

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
SpaceCowboy's Ostermark Army Upd. 12/5
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Hey there guys, once again I've been away from the forum for quite some time (well some of you maybe remembers me), and as I always do when I come back is to start a new Army Blog  :roll:. I have been painting all this time though, but mostly for my other armies and I now post regularly on my blog. So if you want to see what I have been doing you can check the link in my sig. 

Anyway, as I said I haven't been paint much Empire related and partly because I got bored with the colour scheme on my army. So I changed it, swapped the black colour on one of the sides of their uniforms to yellow and Voilá, I now have an Ostermark army.... or at least a start for one. Have some miniatures to repaint and I now started up painting new minis as well. And the first one that got finished was my BSB conversion that have stood on the shelf all to long unpainted. So here it is my Ostermark BSB.

Hope you like it, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Will post some more pictures soon. And for you who missed the first two army blogs and want see what what I've done before, I also post the links below.

My army blog part I http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17454.0
My army blog part II http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33837.0
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:46:17 AM by SpaceCowboy »
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiny

• Members
Re: SpaceCowboy's Ostermark Army blog (part III)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »
Conversion and painting are both fantastic. Inspiring stuff indeed.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:19 PM »
Everything about that is good.  :happy:
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Johnny-Crass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:33:26 AM »
Wow!  Bravo sir!
And all the boys in the Stirland scene are in the basement huffing gasoline !
Staff member of Carpe Noctem

Offline Martin15

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:05 AM »
Very nice!

This is going to sound odd, but it's never occured to me how much authenticity and believability can be given to a model by adding an empty scabbard - how many times do we see/build models that are waving swords around, without a thought to how they actually carry the things around... such a simple thing, but it really adds a layer to the character - it forces the thought into your head that there is more to this man than what goes on in battle.

Well done indeed.

Martin15

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:56:15 AM »
Nice work on the banner bearer. The metals on the armor are quite nice. Dig the dull heavy look.   8-)

Also, I'm always glad to see someone put a scabbard on. Always drives me nuts the number of swords that are held aloft with no where to put them away. :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
That is an absolutely awesome model - superb painting.

This is going to sound odd, but it's never occured to me how much authenticity and believability can be given to a model by adding an empty scabbard - how many times do we see/build models that are waving swords around, without a thought to how they actually carry the things around... such a simple thing, but it really adds a layer to the character - it forces the thought into your head that there is more to this man than what goes on in battle.

I add scabbards to a lot of my models, and give a hand weapon to my Knights if they have a lance or great weapon. You're right; it adds verismilitude.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words. I do agree on the scabbard thing, although I haven't thought much about it before now when it was mentioned. It do look more authentic with the empty scabbard, think I need to do this on some more models :). Anyway have some more pictures coming up, the first ones are on the newly painted Halberdiers and then there's some repainted Swordsmen where I changed their black part of the uniform to yellow. Got some more to do but it is coming along nicely, also repainted the crew for one of the cannons.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: SpaceCowboy's Ostermark Army blog (part III) upd.20/1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
love your knight conversion, and in fact all of it!

post more!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
Re: SpaceCowboy's Ostermark Army blog (part III) upd.20/1
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
Glad you liked the knights, do have a lot more to do on them but someday I may finish that unit. I'm afraid I'm not as fast at painting (and still get a good result) as you Mr Chumley, but will post more stuff as soon as I finish them. Dunno if people are intrested in seeing pics on my other armies as well, as I have a lot of pictures on mainly Orcs and Goblins and Warriors of Chaos.

Offline Strackhoff

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Looking great man!

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
Great BSB! But SpaceCowboy, I just picked up a Ludwig myself, probably one of the last metal ones around, and was wondering whether yours was metal or Finecast, and what you used to file away the original raised design on the flag. Dremel?
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »
Great BSB! But SpaceCowboy, I just picked up a Ludwig myself, probably one of the last metal ones around, and was wondering whether yours was metal or Finecast, and what you used to file away the original raised design on the flag. Dremel?
Good question. I actually did the conversion before Finecast was even released, just haven't painted it until now, so the model is in metal. And it was a real pain in the b*tt to remove the molded design on the banner. I used a cutter, hobby knife and modelling files and a lot patience :P Not the best way to remove it I guess, but I didn't have Dremel even if I seriously thought of buying one when I did this. It would had saved me some sweat and tears I think. Anyway I fixed the last little things I couldn't reach or where the surface weren't even with green stuff and I think it turned out quite nicely in the end. So I can't recommend my way of doing this, the Finecast version is probably a lot easier to handle in this regard anyhow.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Thanks! After my initial "I beat the system! I saved $13 on this model!" I realized Finecast may have been the easier way to go since my plan was to paint my own design on the flag... :unsure:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
I really like the bsb, came out very nice.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:16 PM »
indeed it did come out very nice, the dremel tool doesn't make the job easier; just faster.  It has complications enough all on it's own. again good job. steveb

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
indeed it did come out very nice, the dremel tool doesn't make the job easier; just faster.  It has complications enough all on it's own. again good job. steveb
I just have to ask you steveb as you are a real master of conversions, is a Dremel tool nice to have when doing different conversions, building and so on or is it a waste of money?

On another note, here's some more pictures! Just finished my second Great Cannon and it's crew. Also a pic on some more repainted Swordsmen.

C & C is always welcome.

Offline Osterkicker

• Members
  • "For Sigmar, for Ostermark, for the Empire!"
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
This Ostermarker is inspired!  :::cheers:::

I just got finished painting a cannon crew for my Ostermark Army, so I was very interested to see what color scheme you used for them.  The bulk of my state troops show the purple (or burgundy in my case) and yellow, while my specialized units sport the burgundy and white.  I ended up with black jackets and burgundy/white pants for the cannon crew. 

Excellent looking army and thanks for the inspiration.
"Mine may have been a folly, but what a man learns from his mistakes defines his legacy.  Never again shall the Ostermark succumb to my carelessness on the battle field.  For Sigmar, the Ostermark, and the Empire!" -- Wolfram Hertwig

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:43 AM »
Incredible brushwork! Your BSB is Amazing as well. Will definately be following this plog, keep up the excellent work.  :::cheers:::

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
nice work, great chequered patterns , strike a good contrast with the purple and yellow colour scheme ,

i think what's missing is a unit of 50 nicely painted Halberds!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
Thx guys for the kind words, really helps to keep the motivation up.

Osterkicker - Was also thinking about having purple and white on some of my troops but don't know for which ones yet, maybe the Greatswords. Your choice of colours sounds really nice and I'm glad to hear that my work inspire ^^.

mr chumley warner - OMG you stressing me out! And that's good, keep that up and I will soon have an finished Halberdier unit :).

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Dude just an amazing army..question the round bases are those GW or did you make them? i want to do that as well  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »
Just fantastic painting. I like particularly the checkered details. Takes some patience to do.

:::cheers:::
fbjorn