home

Author Topic: Nordland army, Ready for action!  (Read 50655 times)

Offline Zjivago

• Members
Nordland army, Ready for action!
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:38:41 PM »
Hello there.
After having played chaos and lizardmen its back to my oldest warhammer love, the Empire. I decided from the beginning I wanted lotsa infantry, since to me thats how an army should look. Now I know thats not really the thing in the current meta-game, but hey, I dont get much gaming done these days anyway. And also I tend to paint really slow so there will probably be a new edition out before im done where inf will be the thing  :smile2:

Also I decided I should start with the little guys first, saving chars and such for later. Model wise its a bit of a mix between old stuff I had since before, and new models, including some warhammer forge. I wanted fairly striking colour scheme so went for Nordland, still liking it though the yellow can be a bit work to do. Anyway comments are ofc welcome, hope you enjoy.

First some swordmen, with a big guy filler. Some Mananns blades lurking there, aswell as an old Mordheim model or two I belive.

Some of the new X-bow models, really nice models to paint.

A couple of old halflings standing in as bowmen.

Some Mordheimers (Averland?) (edit: appearantly Ostlanders) acting free comp. Its a re-paint job that turned out so so.

And finally some WIP stuff, greatswords

And Halberdiers
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:26:27 AM by Zjivago »
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Nordland infantery horde army (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
nice work, i love Nordland colour also! ::heretic::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
Very good painting! Keep ém coming
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
 :::cheers::: very cool dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zjivago

• Members
Re: Nordland infantry horde army (WIP)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the nice words.
I have a basic idea on what I want in the army, though I havent decided on details, so it looks something like this:

The three big inf units that are either pretty much complete (Swords) or atleast started (GS and Halberds). The GS will be about 30 strong and the other two about 40. Now I kinda suspect three units this size, and with detachments, will make deployment and maneuvering a challenge. So I might split the swordsmen into detachments and use for the other two units.

The x-bows and archers that I have in the pipeline, and the freecomp aswell I guess. Not sure I will be able to fit them all in though.

Although I want a focus on inf I do realise the army needs some punch. So I have gotten 3 demigryphs, looks like pretty fun models to paint.

Also I have started collecting for a knight unit, about 10 strong. Now I started playing Empire almost 20 years ago and im really fed up with the normal knights horses, since they are still the same really. So I intend on going for a more varied unit with any good looking model I can find on a horseback, have some of the resin Empire heroes and a few other planned. I also intend to use the riders as provided so it will look less like a knightly order and more like a unit of nobles.

The wizard wagons looks pretty funky so one of those I belive.

No Empire army is complete without a little shooting so a cannon and a helblaster is planned.

For characters I think they spice up an army so im plannning on fielding many rather than very good ones, not spending much points on magic items.
A general on foot, a BSB, 2 warrior priests, a witchhunter and an engineer and a lowly wizard.

I have toyed around in armybuilder a bit but I still keep my options open.

Next in line when it comes to painting is to finish the inf, almost completed commandgroups for the greatswords and halberdiers.

After that I think I will start work on the demigryphs. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:39:50 AM by Zjivago »
Nordland Blog:

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:32:40 AM »
Heard about the Maelstrom games stock clearance and found these  http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gmz_gmz_imp_cav_100_000&delpro=11619727&delpro=11619726

Since I havent gotten all my knights together yet, and I dont really care for  the current GW ones I hope they can form the basis for a knight unit, at 20£ (after discount) it seems good, anyone have any experience of using them?
Nordland Blog:

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
No feedback on the Gamezone knights but I went for them, ill get back with info on how that worked out.

Have gotten some painting done, the greatswords are almost complete:

Also got a standard done for the Halberdiers. Not to happy with the bearer though so I might use some other model for that:

Finally what might be the army BSB, though I have some options there:

Thats it for now  :smile2:
Nordland Blog:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Great stuff! Keep it coming I really like the Mordheim Ogre as unit filler.

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
Great stuff! Keep it coming I really like the Mordheim Ogre as unit filler.

Thanks, yeah its a nice model.
Nordland Blog:

Offline Zjivago

• Members
Re: Nordland infantry horde army (WIP) GS&Standards
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
So then, 10 first halberds finished, got another 30 in the pipeline at about 75% ready so not to long until the footsloggers are all done, gotta say its gonna feel good  :-)
After that its knights, artillery and some chars.

Nordland Blog:

Offline Zjivago

• Members
Re: Nordland infantry horde army All infantry done
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Been a while since last update, managed to cut my finger pretty badly so having a bulky bandage for 3 weeks didnt help things, all good now though. Finally got all the inf done, some characters still in the pipeline but the big job is over. Noticed there is some smudge from the lens in these pictures, ill put them up for now though.

First a group shot

Swordmen with detachments

The detachments close up

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:01:16 PM by Zjivago »
Nordland Blog:

Offline jimbeanie

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
These are really nicely painted. Crisp colours and a good palette. I especially like the halflings and the greatswords. Good work!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
Really good job on all that yellow, looks fantastic en masse. Particularly like your standards, the freehand ones look as good as the molded one! :eusa_clap:

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »
That is some great looking Nordlandic love. Much better looking than what I can put out. Love those mordheim militia too.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Boudini

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
Great work!   :biggriin:

Offline Zjivago

• Members
Nordland infantry horde army All infantry done
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
Thanks for that guys, it's going to be nice to get some cav done next.
Regarding the halflings I have been informed by the recruitment officer that a minimum height regulation has been implemented, so no verticaly challenged fatties in the army. That is they havent made the last changes to the armylist, might change again though I guess.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:37:09 PM by Zjivago »
Nordland Blog:

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
Wow, congrats on a great accomplishment! The army shots look amazing. I like how your army is bright and colourful but still looks a bit dirty and "realistic". Particularly impressive work on the X-bowmen.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
They look great!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
Not having done much hobby related during the holidays I finished assembling the knights and demi gryphs yesterday. At first I wasnt sure I would include any DG in the army but they do bring something extra to the army so I will use 4 as it looks now, 3 of the normal ones and the Theodore Bruckner one from FG. There is a matter of size difference though, as will be evident when I post some pictures (hopefully soon).

Meanwhile I will add some fluff related to said DG, and also to introduce some of my characters, English not being my first language so bear that in mind.

-”A demi gryph?”

-”Yes yes, demi gryph” the trader exclaimed enthusiastically, making it sound like the most obvious thing in the world, “It’s all the craze in Altdorf you know, surprised you say you do not have any!” “yet” he added with a charming smile.

“Yeees” Kazan said slowly, trying to make it look like he was considering the offer he was actually racking his brain, “what the hell is a demi gryph”? Sure he wasn’t the most avid hunter or explorer, but he had been around, and liked to think he had an at least half decent idea of what could be encountered in the form of huge flightless birdlike creatures in the Empire in general, and its armies in particular!

“So how do you actually come about these beasts?” he asked, trying to sound casual. “Oh, they can be found in many areas of the Empire, mostly around, you know, the edges” the trader explained with a vague gesture across the courtyard. That wasn’t much help Kazan thought, Nordland certainly made up an edge of the realm according to almost all people, backwater according to many, and he surely never seen any of those things. He had even made a brief visit to the great zoo in Altdorf some years back and never seen one, a “normal” Gryphon yes, with wings though.

He decided to consult his council on the matter and turned slightly to his left, and immediately regretted it. Johann Adalbrecht had been the appointed first knight for some time now, a fierce fighter, excellent horseman and a generally imposing figure, and a total moron. Kazan wouldn’t dream of taking any counsel apart from how to best bash someone’s skull in from that man. In any case Johann seemed barely able to communicate at the time, a small trickle of drool was snaking down his chin and his sight firmly fixed on the largest of the beasts. Remembering Johanns earlier requests to acquire all kinds of exotic mounts to improve his fighting ability Kazan wasn’t much surprised.

His eyes next fell on professor Wilhelmus, who made sure to look horribly busy with some advanced schematic of what would no doubt prove to be a deadly apparatus, for all involved. “Well” he mumbled “considering all parameters, such a component of the army, though organic in nature, could surely shift the power balance under certain circumstances in a favorable manner. But that is of course not my field of expertise”. Kazan had long given up hope of trying to make sense of half of what the professor was saying, and always tended to feel a slight headache even trying that.

Next in line was the court wizard Liutbalt, Kazan had always looked upon the whole concept of magic with a healthy distrust, and Liutbalt had not done much to improve on that. Not that he didn’t sometime appreciate having the wizard around, he seemed to have done a fair job in protecting the army from foul sorcery in the past and occasionally even managed to cast some spectacular spell upon the unfortunate enemy, which undoubtedly could help boosting the morale of the men. But Kazan always had the feeling that the wizard was hiding something from him behind that superior smirk, some secret that Kazan would never know or understand. Actually he looked exactly like that now, seemingly not intent on saying anything on the matter.

With a resigned sigh Kazan finally turned to his ecclesiastic duo, he normally referred to them simply as the “brothers”, or “bothers” if they weren’t close. He wasn’t sure whether they actually where brothers by birth or simply of the same religious order, and he didn’t much care.
Kazan was not a very religious man, he understood that his people needed some guidance in their faith, and that he wasn’t the one to give it, but he had always taken an almost perverse pleasure in making the life for the two bald zealots in front of him as hard as he could. If his wizard had been decidedly sparse with advice the same could not be said of the brothers.

They were very clearly against the whole thing and argued their point feverishly, referring to numerous obscure religious text and prophecies with at best vague connection to the matter at hand, assuring Kazan that these chaos tainted monstrosities was sure to bring doom most horrific to them all. Kazan listened long and hard to the two, occasionally nodding or grunting something intelligible. When they seemed to have finally lost steam he turned to the waiting trader.

“I will need four of your most savage specimens!”

“Splendid” the trader said rubbing his hands together, “now, maybe I’m wrong but I haven’t seen a single Hurricanum since I got here”
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:17:02 AM by Zjivago »
Nordland Blog:

Offline thundercake

• Members
Re: Nordland infantry horde army Fluff added
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
Your English looks pretty good to me.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Your English looks pretty good to me.

Thanks  :smile2:
Nordland Blog:

Offline Von Leerkopf

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »
Love the story.  :happy:
And youre banners. O i wish i could just steal them from you.  :icon_mrgreen:
Keep it up.

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »
This cracks me up. Echoes pretty well the reactions of most people to the sudden appearance of Demigryphs in the Empire book. "Huh? And these things were supposed to have been around all along, and we've never heard of them before?"

That trader seems like a useful chap. Carries all the best toys with him...

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »
This cracks me up. Echoes pretty well the reactions of most people to the sudden appearance of Demigryphs in the Empire book. "Huh? And these things were supposed to have been around all along, and we've never heard of them before?"

That trader seems like a useful chap. Carries all the best toys with him...

Glad you liked it, yeah its a bit odd the whole thing, maybe they changed migratory pattern or something?
Still a little undecided on the Hurricanum, the only model I havent actually aquired yet, the trader needs to sweeten the deal perhaps.
Nordland Blog: