home

Author Topic: Making the Complete Averland Sourcebook  (Read 1628 times)

Offline LostAverlander

• Members
Making the Complete Averland Sourcebook
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:24:29 PM »
So after getting my hands on a copy of 'Valvorik's' "Electorless Province" sourcebook, I've been toying with the idea of creating my own 'Complete Averland Sourcebook'.

Valvorik's work is fantastic and incredibly detailed, but it's focus is solely on the local families and their competition for the Electorship of Averland.

My goal would be to create a generalised sourcebook that gives wargamers, role-players, modellers and general fluff enthusiasts inspiration for characters, regiments, campaigns and adventures in the county.

I don't think I want it to include RPG specific things, such as scenarios and character sheets. For one, that would take up space and time and secondly I don't have much of an interest in RPG.

Also, I think a discussion could be had about people's opinions on the amount of 'fluff' that is appropriate for sourcebooks.

I want to incorporate some of Valvorik's work (pending his permission), as well as other fan made work such as Mad Alfred's 100 page gargantuan sourcebook on Streissen. I was initially thinking just condensed and simplified versions of their work, but the more I study what they've done the more I wonder about including both pieces in their entirety. This could, however, lead to the 'complete' sourcebook being somewhere around 300-350 pages!

My day job is architectural illustration, so my hope is to get the bulk of the text down now and then spend my time enjoying drawing maps and sketches of the cities and towns in Averland (and perhaps even some of the inhabitants if my skills are up to it).

I've already got about 40 pages of information, using the various RPG supplements and GW information.

It would be lovely in the end to get a few copies printed and bound properly, perhaps there will be interest here on the forum. Of course the final PDF will be freely available.

Here's my initial thinking on chapters:

0. General introduction to Averland, The Empire and author's note.

1. History
   Averland Timeline (Imperial Calendar)
        Early History of Averland
   Death of Marius Leitdorf

2. Geography
   Averland (Landscape, climate, rivers)
        Flora and Fauna (Long horn cattle, hops/vines etc)
        Major Towns

3. Economy
   Trade – imports/exports (how Averland integrates with rest of Empire + Old World)

4. Demography
   People
        Religion
   Important families and family trees

5. Culture
   Architecture (???)
   Folklore (???)
   Cuisine (Averheim Wine Festival, Pie Week etc)
   Arts (???)
        Sport

6. Military
   Key battles (that Averland units/Leitdorf participated in, E.g blackfire pass battles)
        Notable Units

7. Appendix, notes etc.

If anyone has any thoughts, or wants to get involved, let me know. I'll keep this forum post as a running update of how work progresses.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Making the Complete Averland Sourcebook
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:40:37 PM »
I imagine that some if not most of those things would be answered by Sigmar's Heirs.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:22:15 PM »
Also, the Madalfred site has some good background info that has been created for the various provinces.  Although I'm not opposed to additional fluff creation.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 07:28:10 PM »
I imagine that some if not most of those things would be answered by Sigmar's Heirs.

Simgar's Heirs has a lot of information and detail that was made up for WFRP 2nd edition, however if I recall correctly, there are multiple areas where it conflicts with other "fluff" that exists for Averland.

Also the way the killed of Marius was the lamest of all fluff writing, considering he's one of the more interesting elector counts. But I guess they nuked all of WFB anyway...
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline LostAverlander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 09:24:37 PM »

I suppose my aim with making this isn't to 'answer things' by making up my own fluff, but instead to coalesce as much of the existing lore as possible into one location, whilst adding pretty pictures.

Things that aren't explicitly mentioned by GW, for example the fact that Averheim would inevitably have a Kleinmoot, can be covered by modifying existing lore about other Imperial cities such as Altdorf.

This is a pretty big undertaking though, so I'm still having doubts about whether I have the time/stamina to complete it.

Think I'm just going to start with some drawings! Coming soon!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:16:57 PM »
something to consider is what you will do about conflicting 'facts' from the different editions/games. e.g. isn't Sigmar's Heir describing the aftermath of the original Storm of Chaos, while later wfb army books pretend it didn't happen?

of course pretty pictures are always welcome  :-)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 04:44:12 PM »
Oh, I agree. The whole SoC material should be ignored - just like the ET. That said, Sigmar's Heirs still contains lost of basic information, independent of SoC.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)