home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667780 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1325 on: May 27, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
I got the email too, and was tempted. But I really need to exercise some restraint and keep working on the figures I've got.

I'm a little wary about ordering as well. I did get everything on my one other order direct from them, but it took several shipments over the course of many months, and only after repeated emails and phone calls. From reviews/comments online, it sounds like they've improved service in the last year or two, though.

As far as the fantasy figures, the reason they look like old GW figures is that they were doing what Mantic is doing now: trying to ride GW's coat tails. The kicker was, of course, that some of their sculptors were the same sculptors who had done some of the GW figures that were being emulated.

In general, I think they've got a lot of good figures. I don't like them all, but many are anywhere from good to great. I'm very tempted to buy boatloads more ancient Germans for my historical German & fantasy barbarian armies -- but will probably wait til next time. Some of the fantasy barbarians are also tempting -- I love the guy wearing the horned deer scalp.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #1326 on: May 28, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
They can be slow but they are reasonable to deal with - responding to emails.

They do have good customer service when those little issues arrise.

I ordered a Late Roman cavalry unit pack and was a little dismayed to find it was spread throughpout the types of cavalry and not just the heavy cavalry that I imagined due to the one cavalry figure they had as the picture for it.

They sent me the heavy cavalry figures I wanted free of charge, and although they didn't ask me to, I did send them back the light cavalry as more than reasonable behaviour deserves to be met with the same.
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1327 on: May 28, 2012, 08:24:07 AM »
Yeah but they had 50% off for the weekend and you didn't .......................

Your price will still be the same next week.

Damned, flawless logic!  :biggriin:

PS. Did you get your package - I posted it Saturday the 19th.

Yes!  :happy:

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1328 on: May 28, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »
I want that Perry wine-cart!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #1329 on: May 28, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
They can be slow but they are reasonable to deal with - responding to emails.

They do have good customer service when those little issues arrise.

I ordered a Late Roman cavalry unit pack and was a little dismayed to find it was spread throughpout the types of cavalry and not just the heavy cavalry that I imagined due to the one cavalry figure they had as the picture for it.

They sent me the heavy cavalry figures I wanted free of charge, and although they didn't ask me to, I did send them back the light cavalry as more than reasonable behaviour deserves to be met with the same.

Fair play to you.
Nice anecdote.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1330 on: May 31, 2012, 04:14:41 AM »

I have no gaming use for this figure, and I'm not even playing any sci-fi games at the moment, but I think I'm going to buy this just because I want to paint one up, and I like robots...

http://freeboardgamesnow.com/demobot60mmtall.aspx

Sorry for injecting some sci-fi in what's usually been a fantasy/Empire themed thread. Uh.... look, I'm going to make this into a College of Engineers robosteammonkey......  :engel:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1331 on: May 31, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
http://www.reapermini.com/

Reaper are out with a new limited edition resin line.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #1332 on: May 31, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
Nice, costly, not interested.

AoW is a much better firm to go after barbarian style.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1333 on: June 01, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
Cashing in on the popularity of "limited edition resin" from other lines like CMON?

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1334 on: June 04, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Anybody checked out these guys before, I saw them at Salute today and they were unbelievably cheap.
Also the product weighs next to nothing and would be awesome for carrying and transporting but check out the prices... :-o :icon_eek:

http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=f

I picked up a couple ruins pieces and they are crap. Not worth it. They are flimsy, the seams don't go together well at all, and no detail on the inside, so they look terrible.

I still have them the kits if anyone wants it for free.  ;)

some discussion of them here:  http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=amera&start=10

and some pictures of the pieces that formed my opinion of them here:  http://www.madponies.net/images/WIP/amera/

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1335 on: June 04, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
Fantastic mini for Rufus

Where is that owl head from?

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1336 on: June 04, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
LeadAdventure has a new unit based on William Tell that I think will definitely excite some here:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1337 on: June 05, 2012, 01:40:27 AM »
 :eusa_clap:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #1338 on: June 05, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
...I picked up a couple ruins pieces and they are crap. Not worth it. They are flimsy, the seams don't go together well at all, and no detail on the inside, so they look terrible...

I don't understand why you think them crap cjp. The chap in your linked thread had the same complaints as yourself. ie. flimsy, single-sided & difficult to assemble.... but they're sold as vac-formed terrain which says it all. If you were expecting clip-together quality then why buy vac-formed stuff which will obviously be a modelling project? If you don't want a big modelling project then you'd be better off looking at cast resin terrain or injection moulded plastic from someone like Conflix or Pegasus Hobbies; very nice stuff but obviously a lot more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1339 on: June 05, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »

Where is that owl head from?

The whole figure is from Reaper. I'm too lazy to look for it at the moment, but I posted a link to it a page or two back.

Those Lead Adventure figures are amazing!

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1340 on: June 05, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
You get what you pay for.

I found it to be a waste of money, even at the price they charge. Really, not worth using at all for how much trouble it is to even get the pieces to fit together and cut out the windows etc, not to mention how terrible it looks. You could get better looking stuff with cut-out cereal boxes, for less cost and at least equal, if not less work. Plus, you'd get breakfast out of it. :)

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #1341 on: June 05, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
Huh, didn't see it in that range, Zero23, but now that I know its reaper I was able to find it in the figure-finder, thanks!

Offline von Kalden

• Members
« Reply #1342 on: June 16, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Perry war altar:

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #1343 on: June 16, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk/28mm_Colonial_Empire_Kits__amp;_Bits/cat1446090_1307458.aspx
Some white metal blisters for creating praetorian/mordian rough riders (ig)
based on late 19th british lancers, especially from the zulu war

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #1344 on: June 16, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
I'm liking that wagon!
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #1345 on: June 16, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
Second.

Little plastic Jesus is bound to become a classic.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1346 on: June 16, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
Also very much like the figures in the set. Great for dioramas/photos in campaign fluff.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1347 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
Agreed, cool set.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1348 on: June 18, 2012, 04:11:41 AM »
Warlord games does some more kislev  :blush: (though the scale will be a bit small:

http://www.warlordgames.com/22070/preview-polish-winger-hussars/

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1349 on: June 18, 2012, 04:24:52 AM »
Awesome! it doesn't say if they will me plastic or metal though.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine