home

Author Topic: Contest Voting - Unit Filler (Please re-enter your vote, count has been reset)  (Read 11526 times)

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
my bad :blush: I was just really excited  :biggriin:
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline JAK

• Members
Congratulations to Spacecowboy.

Many thanks to those of you who voted for me in both competitions – I was rather surprised at the numbers.

I’ve now completed more figures in the past 2 months than I’d done in the past 2 years, and have actually completed a unit. As I’ve signed up for the Tales of X-Gamers I’ll start a blog for that and hope I can complete more units a little quicker in future.

Sorry again about the confusion with the Unit Filler – was expecting Calvin or one of the mods to quote many of my teachers “not only don’t you pay attention so you don’t understand the question, but you didn’t read it properly either. Six figures don’t fill either a 2x2 or 3x3 square”.

Just so I know what to do for future reference a Unit Filler is a mini diorama which can save you having to model between 4 and 9 extra troops? Do you need to include a figure? My next unit may be archers so if I model a stash of arrows and the debris of where they sharpened their stakes is that sufficient or do I need someone handing out bundles of arrows?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:14:42 PM by JAK »

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
Thank u JAK, and all of you who voted for me :).... That was a really close call, Soju followed me with just 1-2 votes behind all the time. Must say im really proud that i won this, there where alot of other really good entries in the competition.

Here´s some of my comments on the other entries:

JAK Misunderstood what a unitfiller is  :-P But the minis are really cool, lots bitz and stunties! And nice painting aswell... But think that your rockgolem/ogre would have suited better as a unitfiller (really cool btw).

Obi Nice and clean, though it is a little too "easy" for my taste. Maybe it works better in a wood elf army? :P

Hochland Hero I really like this one, drunk having a pee right in the middle of battle.... just great! Nice painting aswell!

Soju Awsome work, had a thought about how the heck they operate the cannon in the middle of a unit. But later heard that it belongs to a handgunner unit, and that seemed more logical :icon_rolleyes: Really good work with the gs and combination of bitz, that helmet is really cool. Looking forward seeing it painted!

King Really cool unitfiller. Think i will do something similar sometime. The only thing is that its kinda hard to see everything, think u had gotten many more votes if it was painted, so hope u paint it soon! Its looking very promising.

Moxer Cool aswell, really good work with the kitbash greatswords. Just one thing that u could improve a little and thats the base. Now it almost looks like a miniature golf course  :icon_wink: other than that, really good work.

Can answer your question aswell JAK. U got it right, a unitfiller is a kind of minidiorama. And you dont have too include figures ;)

Once again, thank u all, really fun too win this contest  :icon_mrgreen:

My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
Haha foiled again!

But when I saw spacecowboy's entry, I kinda knew that it'd win lol. That's why I voted for his lol and Hochland Hero's.

Cheers for all the folk who voted for mine. Next time we will win!!!

sj

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Congratulations Spacecowboy on a fine unit filler. I would love to see it in the middle of a group a flaggies. And congratulations to everyone else on making great additions to your armies.  Here are a few comments,

JAK,  The painting on your minis is wonderful. Very colorfull and unique. As already said, not a unit filler, but still nice minis! It was a little hard to tell what conversions you made yourself though. We like to see work in progress pics as well.

Obi,  your entry works fine as a unit filler but doesn't have as much creativity as the other entries. Since a big unit is walking around that tree it might be nice to try to link the filler in with the unit more. The shield helps but with it lying there it makes it look more like the people around the tree would be resting rather than fighting. Maybe add some arrows stuck in the ground or even a body.

Hochland hero.   Very original and well made. great painting and base work. funny too.  I guess it just wasn't your day. There wasn't actually too much converting though. Looks like ti all went in to making his weenee.

Soju,  man oh man,  I thought you had this one.  I recognized it from the book right away.  Everything looks cool... accept it looks like there are some serious mold lines on the cannon wheels.  I really want to see this painted up and brought to life. Great job!

King,  I can see what your going for here. I wonder if this would be taking place in the middle of a unit though.  Its hard to tell how much conversion you made on the models .  Keep in mind that a unit filler (and all dioramas) look a lot better when there is a direction to them.  Yours has four guys and a dog all looking different directions and don't really seem connected to eachother. Try to give them purpose and direction that will look good with, and complement the rest of the unit.

Moxer,  Great job.  Having men cutting down an enemy straggler is a great idea. It would look better if the other two guys were helping instead of just standing there watching. Having them help would have added more action to the diorama. But its still a great job. Those guys standing there might look better when seen with the rest of the unit if those guys are standing like that also...

Spacecowboy.  Like I said above I would love to see this in a unit.  Congratulations on the win. The paint job is great and very clean... maybe too clean. I picture flaggelents a lot dirtier than that guy and the wheals have no mud on them at all.  but thats not a big deal.  What is that supposed to be anyway?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 05:24:34 PM by Otaku »

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
Thank u Otaku. Totally agree with u, it should be dirtier, especially the wheels, wich i actually thoguht of doing, but then forgot it :?. Really dont know what is is :P a mini war altar, displaying what is going to happen to the unfaithfull, or something like that. If u want to check out pics when it is with its unit, look at my army blog here http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17454.50.
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline JAK

• Members
Thanks for the positive comments about the figures. I’ve added some WIP pictures and hopefully answered all your questions from different threads to my Blog so everything stays together.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
Only pro-converters leave mold lines on their models Brian. lol.

sj

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
i always new it would be between space cowboy and soju and im delighted with a third!

JAK,  I didnt know what it was at the start bu it looked cool and i liked the minis used so i voted for it!

Obi,  I Thought that the tree was pretty good idea but i imagined it looked to stagnant in the middle of the unit kind of weird a unit with a tree following it round

Soju,  Awesome job Soju it was a great entry Great relation to the Army book i thought it was that relation to the book that this one extra special!

King,  Some sweet models used but i couldnt understand what was happening inside the diorama. It was a little confusing

Moxer,  It looked like there was a lot of work going into the modling of the unit and your skill with green stuff is good also i liked the sort of story lie of the model. SOme imperials ganking a halpless lone beastmen. Very empirish  :biggriin:

Spacecowboy.  Great use of alot of bits to make a great unit filler! i think subconciusly the paint job also helped me with this one. But great use of bits and making a very origional model!
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
so... Spacecowboy,   any ideas on the theme for the next competition??   :engel:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
I think the two winners should do some PMing and decide between them on one subject.

We've had the Front Rank State Core Troops, Unit Filler, War Altar, Maximilian, Mounted Standard Bearer, EC on foot.

Having done 'foot' last time maybe mounted should come into the next one.
So Knights - maybe IC - might be a contender as suggested in the other thread, or a Mounted WP, or a War Machine.
Special troops like Pistoliers/Outriders/Greatswords is another area we should consider at some stage.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
if we did another one id like one that didnt make me have to start a new unit like the front rank contest but hey thats just me. :biggriin:
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.