home

Author Topic: Empire Tactica: High Elves (Updated)  (Read 24369 times)

Offline Greg17

• Members
Re: Empire Tactica: High Elves (Updated)
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Ok, let's face it.  That was taken from somewhere else.  Haveing similiar opinions and useing exact words are 2 different animals.  So it is pretty clear that it was plagerized.  Now do not get me wrong, I do not care that it was, I just think I am more amused than anything else. :)

In the spirit of this post, I have a Poem for you all that I wrote all by myself.

Kari had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as snow, and eveywhere that Kari went, her lamb was sure to go!

I love poetry!  I can not believe I came up with that all by myself!

:biggriin:

-- Greg

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Well I'm sorry that you think that way Greg17 but I respect your choice to believe it or not.  :-)
"Yeah I'm human so your probably stronger than me, tougher than me, faster than me, more skilled then me, and you probably know more about warfare than I could hope to learn in a dozen lifetimes.....but then again I'm the only one who brought a gun."

Offline Battlekruse

• Members
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
This is heavy plagiarism no doubt about it and I really dislike when people take credits for some other people hard work.

Beside plagiarism among students is unbelievable these days.

Offline Greg17

• Members
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »
In other news,

I think if you ran the numbers you might find out that White Lions actually outpreform Swordmasters in combat, when T4 and an 4+ or better save is concerned... even with 1 less atttack.  I think if you took a typical unit of 6 wide 2 rows deep of each of those 2 units (12 models to attack is what I am saying), and ran math agaisnt say, Sarus Warriors, Dwarves, or Chaos Warriors, then I would bet the WLs did more damage actually.  SMs are good for low save low toughenss troops, but a HE player needs White Lions to take out heavy units.

:)

-- Greg

Oh, and PS...

PG are shiney, but I would not be as scared of them as Lions or Swordmasters.  The 4+ Ward is neat and all, but the lower Str and Attacks is going to mean a lot less kills, and against some of the mentioned units above I would never want to fight with them PG.   If you asked me what would I rather have my infantry blocks face,  PG or Lions / SM I would take the PG anyday of the week.  If you asked me what I would want my Reiksguard to face from the HE elite infantry, I would take PG anyday of the week, twice on Sundays.   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:41:36 PM by Greg17 »

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »
Agreed - White Lions are by far the most dangerous of the three.

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
This is heavy plagiarism no doubt about it and I really dislike when people take credits for some other people hard work.

Beside plagiarism among students is unbelievable these days.

I'm sorry you think that but It goes back to what I said before its all your choice and I'm not going to argue about it I know what I did/didn't do.

In other news,

I think if you ran the numbers you might find out that White Lions actually outpreform Swordmasters in combat, when T4 and an 4+ or better save is concerned... even with 1 less atttack.  I think if you took a typical unit of 6 wide 2 rows deep of each of thsoe 2 units, and ran math agaisnt say, Sarus Warriors, Dwarves, or Chaos Warriors, then I would bet the WLs did more damage actually.  SMs are good for love save low toughenss troops, but a HE player needs White Lions to take out heavy units.

-- Greg

Oh, and PS...

PG are shiney, but I would not be as scared of them as Lions or Swordmasters.  The 4+ Ward is neat and all, but the lower Str and Attacks is going to mean a lot less kills, and against some of the mentioned units above I would never want to fight with them PG.   If you asked me what would I rather have my infantry blocks face,  PG or Lions / SM I would take the PG anyday of the week.  If you asked me what I would want my Reiksguard to face from the HE elite infantry, I would take PG anyday of the week, twice on Sundays.   :mrgreen:

Well your right about which are better, my point is they are all dangerous to Empire, and PG are the worst because we can shoot them away. lol
"Yeah I'm human so your probably stronger than me, tougher than me, faster than me, more skilled then me, and you probably know more about warfare than I could hope to learn in a dozen lifetimes.....but then again I'm the only one who brought a gun."

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
Even then, it's not like shooting White Lions is always easy, and 20 of them will do more damage than 25-30 PG. I think (if you're willing to make changes to your tactica format) that you should have a couple more categories in your threat scales to differentiate between "decent", "dangerous", and "kill it with fire!".

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
Even then, it's not like shooting White Lions is always easy, and 20 of them will do more damage than 25-30 PG. I think (if you're willing to make changes to your tactica format) that you should have a couple more categories in your threat scales to differentiate between "decent", "dangerous", and "kill it with fire!".

I love the Kill it with Fire one lol, but still shooting at white lions isn't hard most of our shooting take 2 away from AS giving them just a 5+ not to mention our HBVG, heck sometimes I every smack them with cannons and the lunimark.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
1/3 of the wounded walking away without a scratch is pretty nasty, given that you're already getting your results filtered by the to-hit and to-wound rolls. Let's say 2 units of 5 Outriders that are 10" away from a unit of White Lions decide to empty their repeater handgun barrels into their faces. That's 30 shots hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s, and allowing 5+ armor.

Math: (30)*(1/2)*(2/3)*(2/3) = 6.67 Wounds ~ 7 Wounds

A formidable total, but bear in mind you just committed 200+ points of shooting into it, and that one of those units will likely be charged by said White Lions and die a messy death. Those 3 guys saved by the armor could come back to haunt you, especially considering they hit virtually your whole army on 3s with a re-roll (Captain/Dragon/Generals/Grand Masters/Griffons being the exceptions) and wound it on 2s (Dragon/Griffons/Steam Tanks excepted), and slice through 3 points of AS. Pretty brutal stuff, and they merit to being mentioned as the worst thing to fight against in the High Elf v. Empire matchup.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:14:22 PM by rothgar13 »

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
lol wait 10 outriders cost 210 points, also I used a unit of 10 with enchanted blades and dropped 14 lions then when they charged me i dropped 9 more (the first shots were at short range but had enchanted blades, the second shot had enchanted blades at short ranged but the -1 for charging)
23 white lions is the cost of those 10 out riders right there, lol and more

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
Also don't get me started on the HBVG engi combo on those guys.

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
also when you see the recommendation's remember Extreme threat level means only the recommended way will deal with them.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
Right, 210, not 420. Not sure how I arrived at that conclusion... :icon_redface:

Still, the fact that they get a save against even the most brutal of our small-arms fire means that they're not a pushover, and their incredible offensive capacity confirms it. I don't think that PG are in the same league as these guys in the threat that they represent, and that should be accounted for.

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
For a moment consider this while white lions aren't a pushover to shoot their save can be whittled to nothing by us (HBVG, Lunimark, cannon,) while no matter how much heavy artillery we use on the phoenix guard their save never goes down, also while they only hit at S4 you said it yourself they hit almost all of us on 3's with rerolls and do their damage before we even get to react, even with 1+ save IC knights they still win a grind off think 10 reiksguard plus command is equal to 20 PG with command roughly, Knights charge PG are in 3 ranks or 6 or 7, PG go first hit with 13 attacks (including the champ) wound with 9-10 Knights save 6-7 wounds we still lose 2-3 Knights before we can even strike then Knights go, with 9 attacks (including the Champion) hitting with 4-5 wounding with 3-4 PG save 2-3 so we kill 1-2 PG then next turn were lucky to kill any at all while they still kill 2-3 Knights, yes White lions do WAY more damage but in any grind fest with any of our troops regardless of numbers PG will win a grind off.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
Let's see how badly PG beat Knights, then:

12 Empire Inner Circle Knights, Lances + Shields, Full Command (330, 6-wide) vs. 20 Phoenix Guard, Full Command (330, 5-wide)

Given the 3-point difference in movement values, I think it's a safe assumption that Knights get the charge.

Phoenix Guard go first. 11 attacks, hitting on 3s with a re-roll, wounding on 3s, allowing a 2+ armor save.

Math: (11)*(8/9)*(2/3)*(1/6) = 1.09 ~ 1 Wound

Knights go tied for second. 12 attacks, hitting on 4s, wounding on 2s, allowing a 4+ Ward save.

Math: (12)*(1/2)*(5/6)*(1/2) = 2.50

Horses go tied for second. 6 attacks, hitting on 4s, wounding on 4s, allowing a 5+ armor save and a 4+ Ward save.

Math: (6)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(2/3)*(1/2) = 0.50

2.50 + 0.50 = 3.00 = 3 Wounds

Knight CR: Wounds (+3), charge (+1), rank (+1), banner (+1) = +6
Phoenix Guard CR: Wounds (+1), ranks (+2), banner (+1) = +4

Knights win by 2, PG are steadfast. Now, saying a Knight unit beat something on the charge isn't exactly news-worthy, so let's examine how the next round of combat goes.

Phoenix Guard go first. 11 attacks, hitting on 3s with a re-roll, wounding on 3s, allowing a 2+ armor save.

Math: (11)*(8/9)*(2/3)*(1/6) = 1.09 ~ 1 Wound

Knights go tied for second. 11 attacks, hitting on 4s, wounding on 3s, allowing a 6+ armor save and a 4+ Ward save.

Math: (11)*(1/2)*(2/3)*(5/6)*(1/2) = 1.52

Horses go tied for second. 6 attacks, hitting on 4s, wounding on 4s, allowing a 5+ armor save and a 4+ Ward save.

Math: (6)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(2/3)*(1/2) = 0.50

1.52 + 0.50 = 2.02 ~ 2 Wounds

Knight CR: Wounds (+2), banner (+1) = +3
Phoenix Guard CR: Wounds (+1), ranks (+2), banner (+1) = +4

OK, so the PG win round 2, but testing at -1 Ld isn't the end of the world. That said, the point is made - a block of PG can take on a block of Knights and win that battle of attrition unless the Knights are Stubborn (because the more guys go down, the more production goes down, and it'll be a while before the PG start losing attacks).

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »
Honestly PG will hit with 9-10 of their attacks, that doesn't change much I know, but you can do the same thing with all of our troops the point that i make is that the only things in out army that is T4+ are characters, the stank, and war machines, S4 attacks that are nearly guarantied to hit makes them able to grind down anything we throw at them.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »
Phenix guard are more like a bunker for a hitty great weapon wielding Prince that will reliably slice and dice 2-3 knights each turn. Also they most often are the vessel that carries the banner of Sorcery.

They are ok but they are not the best of the three elite infantry units.

Those are white lions.

You have to kill every single last one of them most of the times due to their stubborn and they have an immense damage output nothing else at least to my knowledge does strike with S6 before everyone else, every turn. The Lion pelt and stubborn are the icing on the cake. Also they work great with the level 1 high mage that carries the annuli crystal in many armies with a 5+ ward save they are also solid in taking some punishment.

Even if you compare it to Empire only your tactica should be altered, a star dragon is something I wouldn´t field against Empire. 200 points (pardon 240) of cannons should make short work of the Dragon pretty fast.

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »
Oh I know the dragon isn't an option against us, the prince is the dangerous one. also Its easy to make PG stubborn also at least I can kill all of the White lions (i'll even drop cannons on those guys).

• Members
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
Also he will almost always be on a star dragon.

Threat Level: Extreme
specialty: Combat.
recommended: Runefangs, High Strength and certainly ward saves are your only chance, this guy will butcher anything but characters.

Offline Countwarlord

• Members
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »
The entry refers the prince dude look at the mounts section for the dragon info, as that article is all about the prince, read it all before you assume.

• Members
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
I did read it all and it looks very patchworky to me I play High Elves and Empire and made some suggestions to you which I personally find the best models for the High Elf to use you can add it in your tactica or not that is your decision.

Offline Greg17

• Members
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »
Here is a few things that I think some of your tactics are forgetting...

First off, High Elves usually go first in a game.  This is not only because they have a +1 for less units on the table, but also usually employ a the item that gives them an additional +1, the skiensilver or something.  This usually means they are going first.

With that in mind, most HE players are going to not only have a LOT of shooting as thier core units but also some very nice hitting spells to clear away trash and high priority targets like our outriders.  Remember, they only have 3 core chocies, 2 of them have arrows and a 4 BS.   Most players use them as core I would imagine.  Even if the HE player has 2 units of 10 archers, and a 1 block of seaguard as thier core (thats about 500-600 points I think) thats still going to be about 40 arrow shots on turn 1 you need to get through with those T3 5+ save outriders.  Now being that the putriders would absolutely devistate the HE elite infantry, I would assume that they would be the top priority to shoot at.  And if that failed, I am sure a bolt thrower would then hit them as well.  Basic Point?  Even an average HE player is going to do some basic first turn threat assessment, and I hardly think our light calv is going to be alive by the time they get to shoot. 

Second off, I have seen HE players use eagles to screen thier infantry as it advanced across the field.  Even if it gets killed but saves you one turn of missile fire, thats 1 turn close to your lines those elite infantry are.  Furthermore, I have seen more than a few elves play with 2 units of 5 vanilla silver helms, and also run them as blockers for the infantry.  They are 105 points for 5 basic silver helms.  So in a 2500 game, if they had 300 points spent on the 2 units of silver helms, and 2 eagles, and those ran in front of the lions as shields, our infantry is in big troubble if those lions or swordmasters hit our line at full wounds.   If they go first, and they are alive by the second elf turn, the 4 of those units will charge smaller units, either war machines or handgunners and tie us up for 1 more precious turn while the elite infantry closes in.  If the elite HE infantry reaches us then unscratched we can cancel christmas.  Point being, saying "oh, just shoot at them" is not as easy as it sounds agaisnt a good opponent.  Other tactics need to be employed, or we will be in serious troubble. 

Finally, I once saw a unit of 24 PG walk in a line 12 wide by 2 deep forming a literall wall of wardsaves for the lions and swordmasters behind them.  While I never would use PG, I was kinda amazed how well that worked.

-- Greg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:44:18 AM by Greg17 »

Offline PrinceofPleasure

• Members
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
HE can generate extra PD and take away one of the opponent's DD, right? And can they not also select spells an get IF on any doubles without any risk?

If that is so, then why are some choices "only" good with magic support? It would appear to me that this support is nearly always a given. Could they not make their archers hit or wound better with Flaming Sword, Blades of Albans or those Shadow/Death spells that reduce toughness?

ARCANE: Book of Hoeth is 50 slaves the the whole magic allotment on a lord level caster

ARCANE: Annulian crystal takes a enemy power dice and makes it a dispel dice and cost 20 slaves

ARCANE: Seerstaff is  cost 15 slaves

So your opponent is a)cheating or b) spending 700 points on wizards, either way they are terrible at playing WH. Since those 700 points are spread across 3 T3 no save models. Has spent 340 points on heroes and still has no bsb.

Generally the HE magic set up is one of the following, all of which will be the general for the army:

Archmage, lvl4 with book, banner of sorcery

Archmage, lvl4 w/ Crystal, Ethereal, Additional spell, banner of sorcery

Archmage, lvl4 w/ additional spell, magical weapons become mundane, and ethereal, banner of sorcery

If they are short on models you might see:

Mage,  Dispel scroll

Mage, level 2, seer staff

You often won't see back up casters because they are 135 points for a naked lvl 2, that's the cost of 9 Elite infantry, and if you have a BofH wizard or a life/shadow wizard they are using all the dice to keep the army functioning.

The HE magic phase would be rated as good, but it misses out on several things the empire phase can take advantage off, cheapo Wizards who aren't the general, multiple channels, and spell variety. WP are a huge advantage in the magic phase because killing them generally doesn't use they same wizard hunting strategies. Meaning it is also going to be very conservative, and risk adverse. A IR force will generally end your phase as half the results lose D6 die and a Third remove the wizard. The rest just place templates on 20mm bases :cry:

We're the HE phase is strong is that they have access to any of the 8 lores, can consistently produce 9+ power dice, and have an extremely able Lvl 4 caster. IF you build you army with your lore in mind, you can do quite well. But the average player isn't going to overwhelm you with his magic phase.

Offline eriktheguy

• Members
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »

Finally, I once saw a unit of 24 PG walk in a line 12 wide by 2 deep forming a literall wall of wardsaves for the lions and swordmasters behind them.  While I never would use PG, I was kinda amazed how well that worked.

-- Greg
I played in a small GW tournament once and did this with a unit of 12 PG, marching them 1-deep in front of my SM and spears. I only ever did this against shooting heavy lists. Won the tourny too!

Offline PrinceofPleasure

• Members
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
If you're having problems with HE it there are probably a few reasons for such.

1) You are losing control of the movement phase.

A good HE general is fantastic at movement. Some armies have vulnerable units, or invulnerable units. The HE army is vulnerable, this means he must move his army with great precision for one mistake can end his chances of victory.  I've seen games lost because they HE general gave his opponent's HBVG two turns of shooting at one unit. Which was then charged by 12 knights who broke through and into the back field. This could have been prevented by moving 9" in one turn and then 10" the next giving it only one turn of shooting which could include a misfire.

Controlling the battlefield is 10^X more times important for HE than any other army. Where warriors can brute force there way from a losing situation, Empire can cordon off vulnerable sections with overwhelming Shooting dice, HE don't provide this option. Even engaging in winning combats will result in loses to your units. So you need to bring overwhelming force into sections of the battlefield at a time.

One of the ways HE do this is the 25 slave Great Eagle. A 2500 point army can include up to 6, but you are likely to see 2-3. They are the chaff, the redirectors, the march blockers, the wheel blockers. And they are pretty good at it. They fly they have a 40mm base, and T4. They won't fade away like war hounds. The opposing general has to firmly decide to remove them. If he does this too late they may have already cost him the game. I highly recommend using cannons for shooting chariots (easy VPS, and removing combat support) first, and Eagles second, or they will cause you all sorts of harm.

2) Magic

As an Empire player like dwarves you've become accustom to having quite a few  :icon_lol: DD. With this no longer (reliably) being the case you have to play the mind game that is the magic phase. This is where knowledge is most valuable. Knowing that Earth blood can only be cast on the wizards own unit, knowing that the unboosted version of Dwellers is only 18", and insisting before the game that you must state you are casting boosted levels is important.

You are not going to stop everything. HE are likely to have 9-11 dice to your 4-5 dispel dice. This is where you need to break his magic phase down and accept that you are going to take some loses. Luckily most HE players play the buff/hex game. They are likely to buff and hex the same combat. If he has 9 dice and he's succesfully cast withering on 3 dice, you are fighting two units, and you know he has mindrazor. Use your dispel dice to stop withering. He may fail to cast, not get IR(letting you scroll), get IR an lose his wizard, etc. But your unit isn't getting roflstomped by s3 Spearmen and which every addition unit (Lets say cav)

3) Combat

If you've allowed the HE player to defeat you in both previous phases this phase is a forgone conclusion. You are going to lose. He is strictly speaking better at fighting. He goes first with re-rolls + whatever buff he's forced through, and his ideal unit is fighting its choice of target.

Now if you've won the movement phase by slowing up portions of his army, to endure more shooting. Killed or re-directed his chaff, giving you local superiority, and used your own multi-turn buffs. The playing field swings in your direction.

Your troops are half to a third cheaper. Meaning you will have more troops to do the same job he has his units for. Or you will have the same amount of troops + a support unit. Casting Hammer of Sigmar on you unit of halberds will stop him from charging, period. He isn't going to kill 30 models in fact he'll probably kill around 10 (7*2  swordmasters kill 15 Statetroops or 12 swordsmen. That is the best localized killing power they can muster), meaning he's looking at having to take 25-30 s4 attacks that re-roll to hit and wound . With his maybe 14-21 T3 models, who will get at best a 6+ save. He won't charge, not without help. And that is his best unit point for point unit killer.

A horde of white lions at 480 points is a target, and while it would kill 23 Statetroops. Its an obvious shooting target. HBVG, HSRB, outriders, whatever. Every model lost is a lost attack. Two rounds of shooting make this unit not usable. Bring 500 points of your own army to beat will see this unit beat. 40 halberds, and a stank for instance, or 40 halberds and 12 GW knights.

Use your light shooting and cannons to kill his cav, and chariots (if no chariots, shoot deep units). Outriders are great at this 15 shots, will kill  2.5 Dragon princes after a first turn vangaurd. That unit is for all intents and purposes useless for deciding combats. He can't even charge the outriders at this point for fear of losing his DPs to stand and shoot.

Anyway I hope that has been helpful. HE and Warriors are the armies I've played most competitively in the last 3-5 years so I can likely answer any specific questions you may have.