home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 3.0: Into the Murky Black  (Read 18431 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Tactical Decision Game 3.0: Into the Murky Black
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »
Tactical Decision Game 3.0:  Into the Murky Black

-------------------------------------

Tactical Decision Games are a way to explore Empire strategy and tactics as a forum.  The goal is to share ideas and learn.  The way this is achieved is by pausing a game between Empire and another foe at critical points in a battle to get forum input on what decisions they would make at that junction.  There are no right or wrong answers, just different ways of achieving objectives.  The majority’s voice wins and then we proceed from there.

In the first TDG, Empire infantry was tested against an Ogre Deathstar.
In the second, Empire had two teams of heavy cavalry that faced a tough Dark Elf ist.

In this TDG, we are going to test out a Griffon Formation against the dreaded Daemons.

-------------------------------------

The Empire List:  Upside Down Sideways Griffon 2500

As agreed on the first thread, here is the Empire list we are going to use in TDG 3 with the creator’s, Mr A, explanation of it.

9 Inner Circle Knights  (Full Command, Gleaming Pennant)

General of the Empire (Gen)
       (Full Plate, Barded W, White Cloak of Ulric, Sword of Might, Charmed Shield)

Captasus  (Full Plate, Shield, Dragon Helm, Lance, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, Imperial Pegasus)

38 Halberdiers  (FC)
       16 Halberdier Det
       12 Free Company Det

Captain of the Empire  (BSB) (Full Plate, Ench Shield, Luckstone)
       Warrior Priest (HW, HA, Shield)

23 Greatswords  (FC, Standard of Discipline)
       12 Free Company Det
       5 Archer Det

Warrior Priest  (HW, HA, Shield)

10 Archers
       5 Archer Det
       5 Free Company Det

Wizard Lord  (Lvl 4 Lore of Shadow)

5 Pistoliers  (Mus)

Great Cannon

Helblaster Volley Gun

Celestial Hurricanum

Total: 2498

It's an agressive Inverted, Double Headed, Griffon Wing, except it has a limp and a dodgy wing, and likes shouting stuff like "Get off mah lawn!" while angrily shaking its walking stick...

The extra diverter detachment on the Greatswords gives extra flexibility on a flank.  The Pistoliers clean up chaff, hunt war machines etc. in combo with the Captasus and Knights as needs must.  The Cannon and HVG take out monsters and elites.  The core of the army functions a little like the Double Headed Griffon but with a weak flank in the smaller unit of Greatswords.  These can however make an excellent and very sharp and pointy anvil to hold up a unit until the Halberdiers and/or Knights arrive to win the combat.

Basically the list is built to prove that Helblasters do not NEED an Engineer, Free Company can be useful and effective, Generals of the Empire are also good and one does not need a Steam Tank, even if it does make things easier.

The Bad Guys:  “Out for Blood” Daemons of Chaos 2500

Keeper of Secrets  (Gen)  (Lvl 1, Lore of Slaanesh, Spirit Swallower)

6 Bloodcrushers of Khorne  (FC, Icon of Endless War)

Skulltaker  (Cloak of Skulls, Juggernaut)
       Herald of Khorne  (BSB)  (Obsidian Armour, Great Standard of Sundering, Juggernaut)

50 Bloodletter of Khorne  (FC)

2x 5 Fleshounds of Khorne

Total: 2500

Mr A says the creator of this list won a GW Australia Staff Tournament with it.  We have our work cut out for us.  This list is classic VP-denial.  All his points are tied up in his 3 combat units-  the Daemon General, his heavy cavalry, and his huge core horde.

First of all-  if he gets the Keeper into combat we can probably forget killing it.  With Swallower of Souls it will continually heal itself and just slowly devour whatever it is fighting.

The heavy cavalry, with plus D6 on its first charge and the Skulltaker special character and Herald BSB, is going to dish out some serious damage.  The riders are Str6 and the mounts Str5 with Killing Blow.  Skulltaker gets Killing blow on a 5+ and can KB anything, no matter its size.

The Core block is going to just take time to take down-  the 5+ Ward Save will make it a grind.  Of course, the Bloodletters will make it painful by dishing out Str5 at I4.

We have the advantage in the magic department.  The Keeper is only a Lvl1 Wizard of Slaanesh.  The magic Standard of Sundering makes our casting a little bit more difficult-  our Shadow casts will be at -2 while it is still in play.

All on all, we will probably have to pick 2 of the 3 point hogs to take out, while delaying/defending the third, in order to win.  Mr A’s enhanced Griffon gives us plenty of diverters and mobility.  Hopefully, with our combined input, we can take this list down.   

For this TDG, I am going to name the imagery general you are facing off against “Bloodlord.”

The Scenario:

The Elector Count has sent us into the marsh to see if the reports of Chaos in the area are true.  Our troops have been trudging through the murky waters for several days and have not spotted anything-  except snakes, lizards, and sinkholes-  until our Scouts report that Daemons have been spotted near Gregor’s Manor. 

Legend goes that Gregor, a rich man turned swamp hermit in old age, used to live in the thickest part of the swamp that could only be reached through a pass he cut into the swamp.  No one knows if his riches remain… or he spent squandered it all in dark rituals or other evil pursuits.

This is Scenario 3:  Battle for the Pass.

As you can see in the graph, there is plenty of swamp into addition to Gregor’s manor and a Ghost Fence.

Don’t fret-  lots of swamp on the board but they are Mysterious and only 50% of the time are going to be something that is nasty or has any effect to most units.

The Swamps are Mysterious Marsh.  When a unit enters one for the first time I will roll on the new chart below:

1-3:  Wimpy wetlands.  The marsh and swamp is not deep or thick and has no effect on movement and does not count as Dangerous Terrain except to Cavalry, Monstrous Cavalry, and Chariots on a 1.

4:  Sinkhole.  A Sinkhole is Dangerous Terrain to all units.  All models, regardless of wounds or size, are removed on a failed DT test.

5:  Fungus Swamp.  Units moving through a Fungus Swamp gain (until the end of the player’s next turn):

1-2 Poisoned Attacks
          3-4 Frenzy
          5-6 Stupidity

6:  Shadow Swamp.  When a unit enters a Shadow Swamp, it is immediately the target of a randomly determined Shadow Magic spell.  (All not-boosted versions.  Stat for Miasma is randomized, Pendulum will penetrate the ranks as if from a frontal shot, and Pit of Shades will be centered on the unit)

------------------------------------------

While you are digesting all that, and commenting/posting your thoughts in general on the task laid before us, I have another set of decisions for you:

--You rolled double 1s and double 4s for your Shadow Spells.  What do you want to go with?

BTW-  Bloodlord rolled a 4 for his spell-  which is Slicing Shards of Slaanesh. 7+ cast Magic Missile with 24” range D6 Str 5.  If unit fails a Leadership test, take D6 Str 5 again.  Repeats until it passes a Leadership test.

-----------------------------------------------

Once we get the spells down, we will roll for sides.  Starting looking at the terrain and thinking (but don't post yet) about the possibilities and an Empire strategy moving forward (remembering, we are deploying on each short edge).

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Dnic

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 3.0: Into the Murky Black
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Miasma
the enfeebling foe
the penumbral pendulum
okkams mindrazor

Cool battle field, that is definitely in our advantage :)

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
Well, I guess before I choose spells, I'd like to figure how to counter the Demons a bit.

Cannon at the Keeper, HBVG at the Juggers.  I'd love to keep feeding the Bloodletter Horde tiny Detachments all game before the GS or Halberdiers + Hurricanum attempt that losing fight.

Miasma is a given, slow him down if nothing else, though WS debuff/init will be huge.
Enfeebling I guess.
Demons are T3 normally so Withering is out. 
You could make the same case for Mindrazor, who cares, they are T3.
Maybe Pit + Miasma for the Horde?

Ugh...
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
Well, we definitely want Mystifying Miasma and Enfeebling Foe. The Daemons are generally low toughness so I think The Withering would be better than Mindrazor as it's easier to cast and will leave more dice for prayers. That leaves either Steed of Shadows or Penumbral Pendulum. The Pendulum probably won't hurt anything due to high I and MR. Steed Of Shadows could be a good get out of jail free card for the wizard but will probably also be next to useless for the most part.

Based on that, my vote is for: 0, 1, 2, 3 (Miasma, Steed, Enfeebling, Withering).

Well, I guess before I choose spells, I'd like to figure how to counter the Demons a bit.

Cannon at the Keeper, HBVG at the Juggers.  I'd love to keep feeding the Bloodletter Horde tiny Detachments all game before the GS or Halberdiers + Hurricanum attempt that losing fight.

Keeper is M10 so I'd think cannon and HBVG and probably the archers as well into it. Knights should be able to plow through the 'chaff' Flesh Hounds. With MC using mounts toughness now the Bloodcrushers are going to be even tougher. I would think they'll be our main diversion target. If we can keep them out of the fight we can probably get a decent combo charge off on the Bloodletter horde.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
Demons are T3 normally so Withering is out. 
You could make the same case for Mindrazor, who cares, they are T3
I have choosen mindrazor as a last solution, if Bloodcrushers of Khorne or Keeper of Secrets make it into cloose combat before we are rdy for them.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »
Take both 1s and swap them for the sig spell and Pit of Shades. One of the 4s will keep pendulum while the other is exchanged for Withering. I don't think we can reliably kill them in melee, even with shadow buffs (our Priest ones would be better IMO) so I think that a certain amount of offense is best.

Spells:
Miasma - It beats steed for sure. Plus, dropping their WS might just be the equalizer we'd need in CC. Dropping I pairs it nicely with Pit of Shades.
Withering - Dropping their already low toughness allows us to bring our Free Company and Archers in as effective units. T1 Bloodletters do not want to fight anything, let alone free company with a lot of attacks.
Pendulum - Can't exchange both 4s. It will likely be our worst spell.
Pit of Shades - Bloodletter I sucks. IIRC, Bloodcrushers are much the same. One well placed pit (especially combined with Miasma) will kill half a unit of 'crushers or letters.

Just my 2 cents. I've never run Shadow.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
Bloodletter Init is 4 so 1/3rd dying per Pit is fine.

I agree with Withering, gets them into oh oh range for S3 attacks...
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Windelov

• Members
Sv: Re: Tactical Decision Game 3.0: Into the Murky Black
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »
Based on that, my vote is for: 0, 1, 2, 3 (Miasma, Steed, Enfeebling, Withering).

+1

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
0, 1, 2, 3 (Miasma, Steed, Enfeebling, Withering)

Pit would be nice, but we need some cheap-ish spells for those low magic phases with our -2 to casting and our added chance of mishaps.

Note: Changed my vote from Pit to Withering; I5 and a 5++ save do not a happy Pit-thrower make.  :-(

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:56:35 PM by grifter »

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
I5 would be a problem but you don't get a save versus instant death spells like pit so there is no 5++ to worry about.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
I5 would be a problem but you don't get a save versus instant death spells like pit so there is no 5++ to worry about.

Right, I always forget that...in that case, it depends on what units we go for then. Pits if we think we can take the Bloodletters, Withering if go for the Juggernauts. Opinions?

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
Bloodletters are I4.  No ward saves vs Pit either, characteristic test = Death.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:43:44 PM »
Bloodletters are I4.  No ward saves vs Pit either, characteristic test = Death.

That may be nice against the Bloodcrushers but with 25mm bases it won't do much to the horde. I'd probably prefer Enfeebling to try and stop them wounding on 2+ and save out armour a bit. I'd probably prefer Enfeebling over Withering even.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
The Enfeebling Foe and Miasma are definitely the best tools Shadow has to offer against Bloodletters - the former takes the sting off their offense, the latter can give you a chance to get your swings in before they do. That said, I'm surprised that no one has talked about Mindrazor yet - that's the first thing I would reach for when I have any flavor of Knights and Lore of Shadow. Will you probably have to 6-dice it? Yep, but then those Knights could rip through even something like the Greater Daemon - you have to take a flier on that. And it's not like The Penumbral Pendulum or Pit of Shades will do much to these guys, anyway - everything is I4+. I'd say 0, 1, 2, and 6 would be my lineup of choice.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
The Enfeebling Foe and Miasma are definitely the best tools Shadow has to offer against Bloodletters - the former takes the sting off their offense, the latter can give you a chance to get your swings in before they do. That said, I'm surprised that no one has talked about Mindrazor yet - that's the first thing I would reach for when I have any flavor of Knights and Lore of Shadow. Will you probably have to 6-dice it? Yep, but then those Knights could rip through even something like the Greater Daemon - you have to take a flier on that. And it's not like The Penumbral Pendulum or Pit of Shades will do much to these guys, anyway - everything is I4+. I'd say 0, 1, 2, and 6 would be my lineup of choice.

The reason I'd prefer Withering over Mindrazor is as we're likely to be aiming for a combo charge situation. In that situation all of our units will be able to take advantage, whereas with Mindrazor only one of our units will get the benefit and it will be overkill if we're targeting the Bloodletter horde.

To be honest I'd be thinking the horde is a better target than the Bloodcrushers. We need to lead the Bloodcrushers on a merry dance with our diverters and other interference units.

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »
miasma, withering, pendulum and pit.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »
Miasma, Enfeebling, Withering, Pit (we will want some direct damage to hit that juicy Horde).

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
Don´t we need to keep either Steed or Pendulum?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:47 AM »
I vote for Miasma, Steed, Withering and Pit.

If we pair Miasma with Pit we can kill a lot of bloodletters.  Withering is better than Mindrazor because multiple units can benefit from it.  Steed because we have to take that or Pendulum.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 12:55:35 AM »
Yes, we do have to keep either Steed or Pendulum. I guess Pendulum might be more useful in a vacuum, but I'd take a flier on Steed of Shadows to have the Wizard flit away from a dangerous situation if need be.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
a possible combo with steed and pendulum, is like the skaven classic.  Steed (skitterleap) out to a flank then pendulum (crack call) down the flank.

Of course this means putting a lot of faith in dice rolls and the squishy wizard being out of unit protection.

Otherwise it is a tough choice.

Miasma (given)

Probably take pit, The chance to auto kill juggernauts ( if combined with miasma) is too good to miss, works against all targets,1/6 vs KoS

withering or enfeebling. hmm withering makes the str 3 attacks better, as mentioned. enfeebling would allow our knights to tarpit even a KOS for a while, also if the KoS gets into combat it could swing the battle more than withering.  ( i think i would prefer enfeebling)

Then steed or pendulum. i would go with steed i think. Easy to cast, can seem harmless, (which can give us the lore attribute when needed) could make our captasus even more mobile

Alternatively
miasma
pendulum
enfeebling
withering            Heavier debuff selection.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Here is the voting so far:

Miasma-  A given
Steed-        4
Enfeeble-   5
Withering-  6
Pend-         3
Pit-             5
Mindrazor-  1

Without any further input it will be Miasma, Steed, Withering and either Pit or Enfeeble.

I will give it another day to see if anyone else wants to vote.  (Noght-  you need to re-vote, picking to keep either Steed or Pend.  For now I counted your vote as is)

While we are waiting, I rolled for sides and Bloodlord won the toss.  He chose the side with the Manor.  Start thinking about our deployment options while we wait....

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
I vote for

Miasma
Withering
Pendulum
Pit

Lowering the I of the bloodletters with Miasma and then pounding them with the pit and the pendulum sound like a solid plan....their I could drop as low as 1 meaning 84 % losses of what is touched with the pit and even the pendulum is another cannon ball, good enough for me.

Withering could mean the end of the Keeper of Secrets should we cast it in our turn and cut him down in one turn also could reduce its survivability against archers.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
Miasma, Enfeebling, Withering, Pit (we will want some direct damage to hit that juicy Horde).

Just confirming, I'm a dope, sorry I meant keeping Pendulum (have to), not Pit.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
I think we should try and set the Griffon up behind the Ghost Fence so we're immune to Fear, at least initially. Maybe start by deploing the cavalry over the other side to maybe at least get a couple of units deployed diagonally away.