home

Author Topic: Round 3 Tactics - Latest MONDAY 15th Update  (Read 6744 times)

Offline colljn

• Members
Round 3 Tactics - Latest MONDAY 15th Update
« on: August 10, 2005, 05:33:14 AM »
We've done it. The control of the Uneasy Watchman is ours.

We now have to decide what our next plan of attack is.

With a 5000 point lead over the Stirlanders at the Watchmen it is looking quite rosy for us at the moment, but surely the Stirlanders will try to retake the ground.

The question is, do we press on the Stirlanders, the Talabeclanders or fortify our own locations.

The fortification at Brustenbruck could mean that Talabecland is trying to get the jump on us, or it could mean that they are worried by the forces at our disposal.

Currently the war between the other factions is playing into our hands but we could still lose our advantage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 06:44:56 AM »
Lets look at it from the Talabeclanders point of view. What would their next move be?

Stirland Contests one of their locations - Rhya's Sisters. They know that Stirland needs to either consolidate their ground at the Sisters or try to claim back the Watchmen. Surely for them that is the most important?

So for T-land it makes sence for them to regain control of the Sisters, while Stirland tries to throw us back, leaving the border between T-land and us unhassled. That at least is what might be "expected".

But. What if T-land gambles and attacks us? now we will fight on 2 fronts.
Does it make sence for them to think that Stirland will not continue to contest Rya's Sisters and only focus on throwing us back? Giving T-Land free reign to attack us as they please, thinking that we will be greedy in trying to hold on to our hard fought ground and protect our border?

If this happens i think we can abondon our efforts to some extent at the Watchmen releasing armies to defend against such a move.

If this happens it might even put the map back to where we were at the beginning of the campaign. Exept T-land will be the weaker of the 3.
Grand Writing Competition winning entry;
"I was there! With the Men of Erlach!"

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"
- Oscar Wilde

Offline rha celt

• Members
Two pronged stratagy.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
May I be so bold as to suggest the following, first we hit Bechafen hard for the first couple of days and see what response that draws.  Based on the response we get we either reinforce the uneasy watchman if there is any chance we may lose it or continue to hit Bechafen until we take charge of it as well.
When in doubt attack, hey sometimes it works

Offline Middenland_is_Okay

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:32:03 PM »
No, that would prolly force an alliance between Stirland and Talabecland. They do not want us to hold it, and so would quickly attack us.
I make no sense, and I don't care!!

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 02:57:48 PM »
The way I see it.

Talabecland is not going to be happy with their marginal hold on Rhya's Sisters and will be trying to bolster it. Their defense at Brustenbruck is probably just to not get caught out as easily again. I think we can not worry about them just yet. They can't take Kaltenbach in one turn any way.

What I suggest is a bit aggressive but may work pretty well.

Stirland can't claim The Uneasy watchman back in one turn but they will try to get it back to contested for sure, probably forgetting about Holeburg.

If we split our reports between The Uneasy and Holeburg we have a chance at keeping the Uneasy because of our lead there AND contesting at Holeburg.  This will draw a massive defense of Holeburg in round 4 giving us a chance to really solidify at The uneasy and it will probably also stop Stirlands efforts at Bechafen, where they do currently have an advantage.

Both Vann Harl and I have 3 games on Sunday that if we win may be able to report for the next round.

We can make use of the fact that skirmishes at Bechafen not only drive up our rating there but also drive up the riot rate.

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »
May I be so bold as to suggest that we wait, at least until the next tally date is given, then decide where to attack....but it doesnt stop there, we save up our points to release one or two days before the tally date. That way enemy respone will be minimal and we can see where they have been pressing...

just my two cents,

-Pete
-kill 'em all, let ULRIC sort 'em out

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:04 PM »
I say we use some of our forces to hold the Watchmen (as undoubtedly the Stirlanders will attempt to retake it), attempt to gain some points in another area of our choosing, and use the remaining forces to make a move on Bechafen. This course of action will certainly draw a lot of attention from Talabecland and Striland. We should use this against them, if they redouble their assault on Bechafen in response to our moves we divert our focus to a likewise suitable location, perhaps even surrounding Bechafen with the blue of Middenland (as we already own half of the required locations to do so). Look at it this way, if we attack Bechafen and they counter-attack then we use this distraction to seize another location and if they don't counter-attack then we just got loads of points in that critical city.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 09:49:15 PM »
Hi guys - long day, but I just had to log on and see how things had gone.

Well we took the Watchman as predicted and the others are back to square one.

Reading Calvin's notes for round 3, it looks like ONE game per person per day.
That should stop some of the 'heavy days' gaming we've seen.

However Brunger did a great job for us last round, with a large number of reports.

Just seeing today's reports Talabecland are straight back at Udo's Fall.

I would tend to agree with what's been said about caution.

If we have say 5 days - it means you can post 5 battle reports - they can be saved and posted on days 4 & 5 when we see what is happening.

My thoughts would be to build a big defense at the Watchman - and NOT try to push on to Hohleburg. [If there is a danger of Stirland being wiped out early - be certain they will get the modifiers next round! :twisted:

It also looks like Stirland is trying to grab an advantage at Bechafen - as I have said before I am still in favour of playing a waiting game there - the time to be in control of Bechafen is at the end. I think it will be difficult to take and hold.

At present surveying the scene I would recommend the following:
1. Add a lot to the Watchman
2. Add a bit to Kaltenbach.
3. Add some points to Bechafen.

:-D
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 09:51:29 PM »
ADDENDA: Round 3 Special Conditions and Tally Date

- The Grand Theogonost Kurt III opens his coffers to support the faltering Stirlanders as they dig in around the Höhleburg. Stirland battles reported at Höhleburg during this round gain a 50% bonus modifier.

- The tally for Round 3 will be done on MONDAY 15TH OF AUGUST
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »
Quote from: Midaski

My thoughts would be to build a big defense at the Watchman - and NOT try to push on to Hohleburg. [If there is a danger of Stirland being wiped out early - be certain they will get the modifiers next round! :twisted:

:-D

Well AM I PSYCHIC or what -  :wink:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 10:01:04 PM »
Great minds think alike :-D
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 10:09:58 PM »
I could be extremely vain, and say a good general always anticipates his enemy's actions.

Or I could say it was fairly easy to predict you would support the underdogs to prolong the campaign.

:wink:

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »
Or you could be buddies with GH!!!  :lol:
[Elsewhere]

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 10:19:44 PM »
Quote from: jmanwarhammer
Or you could be buddies with GH!!!  :lol:

Not after the emails that flew back and forth the other day about those Champion of Ulric battle reports at Brustenbruck.....
....the airwaves were screaming. :wink:

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 06:19:59 AM »
Go for the Kill! Men of Ulric are you spineless dogs?!
Attack Holberg!!! Put them on the back foot! Split our enemies in 2! T-Land will not attack us let them press Stirland from the West while we hammer down on them Like a Ulrics Great Warhammer from the Icy North! Their 50% modifiers will waver in the wind as we crush Martin and his yapping lap dogs!

Ok breathe  ... in .. out ...

Excuse my rant, thought i would play in role there.
However I do agree with Rorrak. Read his reasoning again. Think carefully about where each round will put us gentlemen. The objective is not to Take Holberg (Just yet) but to contest it. Giving us a buffer into Bechafen
Lets not be over cautious. We have "sniffed" which way the wind is blowing now lets Ride with the wind at our backs!

*Just a sneaky thought: Considering their 50% modifier - only post your masacers & solid victories at Holberg

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 07:26:18 AM »
Following my own advice from earlier.  

A committee is a sure fire way to dilute our resolve.  
Lets not split up our leadership. In war there is no democracy.  

This forum is for suggesting Ideas but once that is done we should follow the advice of one general and it seems that we can all get behind Midaski.

On that note 1 parting suggestion. Stirland have been given a 50% boost in their capitol. Lets make them think they have to use it by posting a single win there as soon as possible. The 50% bonus can work in our favour. Human nature is greed. Free points will make them re-think their plan and split their reports between Holeburg and the Uneasy.

This will likely have the same result that I was suggesting earlier in cementing our hold on the Uneasy and drawing attention away from bechafen.

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 09:19:50 AM »

At present surveying the scene I would recommend the following:
1. Add a lot to the Watchman
2. Add a bit to Kaltenbach.
3. Add some points to Bechafen.

We need a little coordination in this regard. Can I suggest that we devide our generals in to "semi rigid" army groups. With some generals tasked with riots at Bechafen and probes accross the border at Kaltenbach.

2nd Army Group defends Watchmen while probing Hohlberg. we might find ourselves attacking the same place thinking others are defending elswhere.

- Oscar Wilde

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »
Good points.

Rorrak - I like the idea of posting something at Hohleburg - even as Van Harl said, but I was thinking in reverse.

If we used Hohleburg for a few of the crap results like draws and low scores we might fool them into thinking they were under REAL attack by the number of posts.
Post the big points scores to the Watchman.

What do you think??

Edit Update: Forget the Hohleburg stuff above - sid vicous has just posted a massacre AND a solid victory + bonus there since I wrote this.
So I would suggest we now monitor what happens there in return?

Let's start to top up the Watchman - we've added 600, but lost 950 there since round 3 started.

Next Point:
I get the feeling that the limit of ONE Battle per day I referred to earlier will NOT effect the Bechafen Skirmish stuff.
You could do 5/6 main battles in round 3, and 5 skirmishes if you wish.

The latter is a good idea if you don't have time or opportunity for a full scale battle.
Make sure you play Empire AND one of the Bechafen SCENARIOS - you get bonuses on top of the 200 points.

Last Thought:

Teams idea - the problem I see with this, is that we cannot KNOW what points we are going to have - can you forecast a Massacre with full bonuses :wink: .
 What we need is ALL generals, with a battle to post, to check this thread for the latest updates of tactics, first, and check the time of the last post here in this thread.
Then go to the battle reports forum, and see what battles have been reported AFTER the time of the last post in here.

Make sure you know how the points system works - I've copied it on to a piece of paper from the FAQ and then work out each post in the forum to see who's posting how many points where...........
....you do have to watch the bonuses ..... a Minor Victory is 400pts, but played against Empire = +200, and if they have used a Campaign list = +100, and suddenly it's 700 points going in rather than just the 400.
I wonder how closely the enemy are counting :?:

Each General can then see if there have been any threats to our locations, and evaluate where to respond.

If you are not sure, and there is no rush, then post up here and wait for advice:
A little note that says "MInor Victory with 50% and 25% bonus = 700pts"
would be helpful.

Also check Rorrak's scores thread - he's updating it fairly regularly AND changing the date to show the last update.

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 12:42:53 PM »
Indeed, I honestly thought I would have a game to report after Tuesday and I slipped to a minor loss with Judy improving each and every game. :) There is no predictability.

Along with my reports I will also add a list of suggested next targets as decided by this forum. That should help.

Sid_Vicious has definitely thrown our feigned attack at Hohleburg so now lets see what happens.

Lets hold our reports till the weekend. If there are any spies to this forum wich is a strong possibility their reaction time will be slow. However if you need to post a report due to being away or some such I agree, lets bolster the watchman.  

I was wrong about Vann Harls and my game count. The mini tourney is the weekend of the 20th not this one. I still have a game on Saturday though. Lets hope I can break out more than a draw !

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »
The Watchman has got to be the priority.

We've just been hit there with another Demonslayer 1600 point Massacre with full bonuses -

- this guy he's playing must be one hell of a mascochist.

The more I think about it - the more I am convinced we need to build up the points defensively this round.
It would have probably been better if SID had split his results - 1 at Hohleburg and 1 at the Watchman.

The more we can put into the Watchman and then Kaltenbach, the harder they will be to attack in future rounds.
Our enemies have to make up a 5000pts deficit normally - if we increase our points in these sites we can make it a 10,000 point target or even more.

Everything at the Watchman [main battles] for the next couple of days - with a review on Saturday.
If we have a nice big advantage then - we can share points to Kaltenbach, and maybe Bechafen.

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »
The Watchman has got to be the priority.

We've just been hit there with another Demonslayer 1600 point Massacre with full bonuses -

- this guy he's playing must be one hell of a mascochist.

Its a different guy, didnt you see. This one is a middenland list he is trashing the previous one was a Talebecland list.  :bonk:

I do however concur. Mainline defense at The Uneasy with skirmish games going to Bechafen.

If our feign at their capitol is ignored they also leave us with a foot in there for later, so all is not lost.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »
Well the 'list' doesn't matter - Empire is enough, and he could have just persuaded his 'dummy' to pick a slightly different list. :wink:

What is interesting is that the Champion_of_Ulric guy has not reappeared either for us or reregistering elsewhere, as far as I know. :roll:

On the other hand Rorrak he may be the Middenland list guy in this battle if you are right, :wink: , but I got the impression he was as experienced as Demonslayer, and would probably not go down to a massacre.

Mind you we could do with his 4 previous massacres at the Watchman now. :wink:

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
Mine was a bit tongue in cheek. It wants to say more than I should being a good sport and all :)

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 08:51:07 PM »
Does it seem strange to anyone else that someone from Deamonslayers IP signs on to our forum, then doesnt check in again, and as we talk of the watchman, it is hit yet again? I dont acuse anyone of cheating....but maybe of reading over someones shoulder?

But then again, striking back at the watchman is logical...
so it could go either way (note this was not meant to accuse anyone of cheating or to question the integerity of Deamonslayer, this is purly speculation)

P.S. if he gets mad about it then we know hes cheating...

-Pete
-kill 'em all, let ULRIC sort 'em out

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 09:52:36 PM »
So as the leader by general consent (Midaski), what are our objectives and who are you assigning to the objectives (assuming that is your methodology)?
[Elsewhere]