home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140765 times)

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 29Dec2018 - Pikes & Captain)
« Reply #350 on: December 30, 2018, 03:47:42 PM »
I like Bob  :biggriin:   they would be lost without him…..

Stunning paintwork   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #351 on: January 02, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
eagerly awaiting the last 3 of this project!  :::cheers:::
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #352 on: January 04, 2019, 07:29:26 PM »
The detail is amazing. I could imagine how a unit of the 42nd highlanders would look with your attention to detail.

nooo! tartans are beyond me.  :blush:

I like Bob  :biggriin:   they would be lost without him…..

Stunning paintwork   :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Thanks. And, I've never planned it that way. Bob turned his head while the superglue was setting and I found him like this much later. Seemed like I shouldn't break his neck, so now he shall forever guard the regiment's right side.

eagerly awaiting the last 3 of this project!  :::cheers:::

They are in the works. and, this begs the question: is there a hobby life ...beyond Volganof?  :engel:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »
Naitsabes youre da man!!!! Nice blog all round  :eusa_clap:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2019, 03:08:38 AM »
20Feb2019

It is done! The last three models for Volganof.

Stock models. I really like them out of the box. I did put together command models for that distant day when they form up in a big unit with the other three.

So, milestone reached. The Empire army for Volganof is complete. It only took five years. What is next then? Fear not the Road to Volganof does not end here, there is much more mileage to cover.

-   Currently, this army is at ‘minimum Volganof’ which means, ready to play the game tomorrow but, there are units I like to revisit and improve upon. E.g. one of the steam tanks is that tiny 4th edition one. Would want to put in a proper-sized one. There are a few other duds in the army.
-   My spies in Lord Mortkin’s camp tell me he is but ~90 miniatures away from completing his army. So, I might just pitch in a little more
-   And, of course, the big ticket item I mentioned before: the table with a city. Seems like we have a venue now so work can start in earnest.

So upward and onward, as usual, at a steady, slow crawl.

After finishing out the Volganof list, I have let myself get distracted a bit with the weird and wonderful side of the Empire in a wider sense. I am putting together a little DoW army using the Warhammer Armies Project book. Empire units can stand in for a lot in that book of course and I also have the pikemen I posted earlier. But, I’ve also painted up these little Halflings.

And then a unit of Norse Marauders.

I went with a classic Norse banner, these guys are not chaos worshippers after all (at least not openly).

So, stuff is still happening. Stay tuned. And for the last time:

The official Volganof counter:
969/969

TATAAAA!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:46:09 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 16Mar2019 - Demigryph & DoW)
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2019, 04:37:18 AM »
You're a thoroughbred, you paint at the highest level.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
Those demigryphs and halflings are great. Now that you have completed your army, I would love to see a whole army photo.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
Those marauders are fantastic. Nice nod to the raven banner. Back in the day I wanted to do a whole maurauder army with the Norse/not chaos look. Really nice work
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2019, 03:48:56 AM »
Thanks guys!

Artoban's Ghost. No time like the present. There is even a whole Norse army book in the warhammer armies project. Would be awesome!

I don't really have a good army shoot. And these guys are deep in the closet now safe from the wife's judgemental eyes. Army shots at forum picture resolution coupled with my lacklustre photography are a bit dodgy to begin with. This is as good as it will get until the big day (contains some non-Volganof models but, you won't be able to tell anyway  :engel: )

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
So that's an all Norse army?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:00 PM »
969/969 is an amazing achievement, but... 1000/1000 would look so neat and tidy?  :icon_wink:

I like those Marauders, I always thought one of the saddest developments of WHFB since the 1980s was to subsume all of the Norse into favourite-Chaos-God-worshipping spike-fetishists.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2019, 06:07:00 PM »
So that's an all Norse army?

hell no! That is the army for Volganof, i.e. Empire. If I had a Norse army of that size I'd be the coolest guy on the planet.  :mrgreen:

Shadespyre. I agree. And there is a regrettable amount of spikes on these ~1990 guys already. Not to mention they skipped pants for the most part (I've ignored that while painting except on the standard bearer)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #362 on: March 20, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
Ah!  Well I like how it has been assembled there. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
How much to do before you actually play? Did you have plans for terrain and such?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:49 AM »
How much to do before you actually play? Did you have plans for terrain and such?

-Z

well. you are putting your finger in the wound. Building up the table is going to be a challenge. For the longest time we didn't know where to set up an appropriately sized table. It looks like that is resolved now. so really, no more excuses not to work on terrain. We do want to build a nice city/wall/gate section. One day. There is a bit of work left to do on the chaos army, 80-100 models I think, with some big ticket items (siege towers, sorcerors on floating rocks and the like, not quite run of the mill stuff). So, I don't think we are quite ready to settle on a specific date.

------------------------------------------------------------------
26Mar2019
A bit of a sidetrack today, more Dogs of War.

A hedge wizard. Alfons is not a bad guy per se, just a bit of a maniac. That did not go over well at the college and so he couldn’t graduate. But, his type is in high demand for any Landsknecht Kompagnie needs at the very least a bit of protection from enemy magic and nobody asks for a graduation certificate.

I put a bit of effort into the cloak and the color gradient. I would call it ‘semi-successful’.

And then I put together a little unit of duelists. They are in full color riot gear so they fit in with the pikemen. Quite fun to paint.

I think I want to add in some light cavalry with lances next. But, low priority, what I really should be doing is building up the city of Volganof…

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 26Mar2019 - more DoW)
« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
Ouch, didn't mean any stress. These things mature little by little.

Nice Wizard. Love the duelists. Nice mix of colours. Do the colours reflect their home provinces, or is it just a coincidence?

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
I like the wizard and his cloak! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2019, 08:47:44 PM »
I love those duelists, how to come up with the individual color scheme without being repetitive?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Congrats Naitsabes.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
What's next? Scenery?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2019, 11:04:09 PM »
I love those duelists, how to come up with the individual color scheme without being repetitive?

I have painted a bunch of Marienburg troops and its easier than you think.
The difference here is Naitsabes makes it look good too!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #370 on: April 09, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

The duelist colors just happen. Not too much thought put into it. some colors go together easily because I use the same wash over both (e.g. yellow and red). sometimes I think of some European flag and use those colors.

..and yes, scenery is next. playing around with walls and testing out color schemes.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #371 on: April 21, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »
21Apr2019
Did I build the city of Volganof? Well, just a tiny a bit. But, not enough to warrant a project log post. Today is all about George. Say hello!

He is a Chaos Siege Giant as per the Tamurkhan rules. The Forgeworld version is gone from their website so I had to hobby it up. The breast plate is from a chaos chariot, the gut armor just cardboard/plastic card, the tentacle arm a manticore tail. Some chaos warrior shields as armor bits. The bladed arm is again plasticard. Then added in some chains to strap it all down. That’s it…the short version. This was one of these hobby projects that languished at times as I despaired and walked away, then rallied and soldiered on. Happy with the end result.

Here he is with his overlord. I put some effort into giving George a sicklish skin color.

And a close-up. Brace yourself. This is what you will look like when you join up with Chaos. So, stay clear.

Admittedly, George was never a handsome fellow. But, he lived a relatively peaceful, healthy life. Visiting villages only occasionally for a drink (just a few barrels) and eating mostly cattle while really making an effort (mostly successfully) to not accidentally chomp on an herder. All that changed when a strange little man (even littler than usual) came to his cave and offered him a drink. The world went black, then came back tinted red and the pain started.
These days George spends most of his time in drug-induced stupor. His overlord only occasionally rouses him as needed. The pain is excruciating and the only way it mellows is by stomping on and hacking apart whoever is in the way.

Here George is facing a challenge.

He made it without tripping! Alright. George out.

(at this point it is unclear if Lord Mortkin is willing and able to pay the hefty fee for employing George at Volganof)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 21Apr2019 - just George)
« Reply #372 on: April 22, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
Yikes!

My first thought was "why does he have asparagus for an arm?" but once I looked twice it all made more sense  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #373 on: April 22, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
That's one angry giant!  :eusa_clap:

-Z

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #374 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
 :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what