home

Author Topic: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »
Hi,

Cubicle 7 - the guys who have done the excellent WFRP 4th edition are also doing an AoSRPG

While that has been know about for a while, they've finally revealed some details and the cover art

http://cubicle7.co.uk/age-of-sigmar-cover-reveal-update/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »
I really like the cover. I look forward to seeing more information on the rules as well!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »
I believe they are planning a few weekly preview updates.  I don't know if this will be all the way up to pre-order or not. 

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
Also, the Product Producer for Cubicle 7, is active on the Rat-Catchers Guild Discord server, as are some of the writers.  A few of the C7 folk who work on WFRP are also on there.

For both those RPGs it's a pretty good place to get info, and talk about the games

https://discord.gg/B4vBKf

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
The WAoS fluff isn't inspiring me, and so doubtful I'll ever be interested.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 02:25:05 PM »
The WAoS fluff isn't inspiring me, and so doubtful I'll ever be interested.

Genuine question here, not trying to be snarky at all: how much AOS lore have you read? I ask because yeah, the early stuff was largely hot garbage (Warbeast by Gav Thorpe and the Mannfred saga were the highlights, but still Stormcast stories among a plethora of, yep, Stormcast stories) and I spent AOS's first year raging against it because the setting was so paper-thin...

... but they've come a long way, especially since 2nd Edition dropped and the consensus is that AOSRPG is the best example of worldbuilding yet, even among the narrative play circles I run in. It definitely helps that they pulled in two of the best AOS Black Library writers in Josh Reynolds and David Guymer, and there's little easter eggs and references to things from their novels scattered throughout.

Alex
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
More than I want to read, there continues to be a strain of "high" fantasy that just isn't to my liking.  However, I have enjoyed the fluff for Warcry.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 02:37:01 PM »
Fair enough. My big sticking point is that, if somebody wants to hate AOS, cool! Different strokes for different folks. The owner of a FLGS I no longer patronize because of its top-down toxic community believes that 4th Ed. WHFB is the high water mark of Warhammer (it isn't) but hey, whatever makes him happy. I just want folks to hate AOS on a well-informed basis rather than because of misconceptions... 
:-P

Alex

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
Hate is too strong a word, because I enjoy Warcry.  Even considering picking up the Stormcrud eternal box that is available for Warcry, because the faces are unmasked and I like the birds of prey.  But now I'm repeating myself form another thread. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Fair enough. My big sticking point is that, if somebody wants to hate AOS, cool! Different strokes for different folks. The owner of a FLGS I no longer patronize because of its top-down toxic community believes that 4th Ed. WHFB is the high water mark of Warhammer (it isn't) but hey, whatever makes him happy. I just want folks to hate AOS on a well-informed basis rather than because of misconceptions... 
:-P

Alex

I myself have given over fully to AoS. Love the flexibility that wasn’t in wfb and the fluff and new lore.  Not to say I didn’t love wfb because I did but I didn’t find the change as hard as others.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
Personally, it was a barrier for me to give AOS a chance because of a lack of Empire models to even consider it.

Has that changed?
Have they shown that they care about the army I loved?

So no, I am not going to give it a chance. Because I have no models to draw me in. And all of these years, I have moved on now. I dont need GW to tell me how to play a game anymore.

They set me free and thats that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:47:55 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
W:AoS ... what's that? :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »
It did take awhile for the Cities of Sigmar book to get made, but the vast majority of Empire models are still available and still used for what thats worth. But to each their own. We all like different games in the first place and its good to branch out and try different things.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
To an extent I agree, and from what I've read, it seems W:AoS is improved from its early days.  At the same time, they did a good job of losing me into other game systems.  I'm back into GW fantasy with Warcry, although doubtful I'll get into W:AoS, and some what because it is another rules system to learn, while I can hardly keep what I have already straight.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
I now have skaven, beastmen, dwarf, empire, ork , night goblins, And Stormcast froM wfb to AoS  armies with a Tzeentch And high elf army waiting for possible conversion. Only a Few units I cant use but can fill in as proxies if I want (mostly elves and militia).
The reason I made the change lands directly with a desire for a supported game so I guess I’m the perfect customer except I have only bought 2 models from the store. (War priest and lord exorcist) (forgot warcry and Looncurse)
All have by supplies and digital books make my GW purchases.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 05:47:30 PM »
I'm back into GW fantasy with Warcry, although doubtful I'll get into W:AoS,

GP says this, but we all know how tempted he's been by a Stormcast team. They're coming for youuuu...

Honestly considering how easy it is to find books online these days, i play whatever my friends or local club feels like playing that day. 90% of the models from one can carry over to the other. I have my own little homebrew world to play in lore wise, so much of that doesn't really affect me.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 06:02:48 PM »
Pulling the conversation back to Soulbound, I played a campaign over the summer and, while we could have used a GM who wasn't in the middle of a mental health crisis, the game system itself was a lot of fun. I played a Trade Pioneer, the only Archetype without a corresponding model. The Pioneer is a generic merchant/pirate type character, and I played Vega Valencia as an almost over the hill, fifth son of a lesser branch of an influential Azyrite family looking for one last chance at fame and fortune to land himself a wife with. Really wanted to double down on that "what does the little guy look like in this fantastical setting" feel.

My party consisted of another Trade Pioneer, Neuman Legal, who may or may not have been a lesser vampire, a zealous Warpriestess named Ellendorus, a Sylvaneth Tree-Revenant named Dirgeroot who acquired the ghost of a headless rat as an animal companion in our first session, and a rotating ensemble of Stormcast liasons including a distant ancestor of my Trade Pioneer.

Alex

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
I'm back into GW fantasy with Warcry, although doubtful I'll get into W:AoS,
GP says this, but we all know how tempted he's been by a Stormcast team. They're coming for youuuu...
Well only considering as a Warcry band, not intending to go full fledge. :icon_wink: :::cheers:::

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 01:07:30 AM »
Out of curiosity, which Chamber / Stormhost are you going with? All 3 Chambers have Warcry cards now, and I'm a big fan of all the canon Stormhosts.

Alex

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 03:03:54 AM »
Since this is a roleplaying thread, that must be a roleplaying question and I ain't familiar with the concept.

With Warcry I only know of one Stormcrud eternal warband, but that doesn't mean such is accurate.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »
Okay as a quick primer for you GP, the Stormcast are essentially divided into specialties. You've got your "regular" blokes, who are the various normal soldiers. Dudes with hammers, shields, etc.

Then you have your scout/vanguard group. Which is the guys with birds, crossbows and some speedy cav types.

Then there's the wizards. Even the troops have some magical ability.

In a traditional AoS army you might have a mix of all 3, or primarily one. In War Cry they're mostly separated into individual groups.

From a roleplay perspective you can also put them into hosts, which is essentially like Chapters of Space Marines. You can make your own or use the GW created ones. But thats kind of seperate.

Offline kingoftheempire12

• Members
  • dwarf from germany
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »
Sounds nice, I am curious if it will be as good as the last versions.
dwarf from germany

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 12:59:37 AM »
To elaborate on what Gankom said...

Stormcast Eternals are divided by Stormhost, Chamber, and Conclave. Stormhosts are like Empire cities- each has colors, heraldry, usually a battle cry of some kind ("Only the faithful!"), etc.

Each Stormhost is divided into a number of Chambers. Those which have been opened are Warrior (self-explanatory...), Extremis (heavy dragon cavalry), Vanguard (ranged scouts and light cavalry), and Sacrosanct (mages and engineers). Three unopened chambers that we know of are Ruination, Covenant, and Logister, which will undoubtedly be future releases.

Currently, Vanguard, Warrior and Sacrosanct Chambers each have their own Warcry card set. Vanguard were the ones which dropped with the original release.

In normal AOS, a Stormcast army can consist of any mix of Chambers. For my part, I've been working on a Narrative Play army using only Stormcast heroes, each of which is drawn from a different canon Stormhost, so none of them have the same color scheme.

Alex

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 04:42:39 AM »
Sounds like a neat army. Any chance of seeing some pictures something? ;)

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 10:22:25 PM »
Well yes but actually no? Adding photos here is a pain because I have to host them somewhere. I'll have pics eventually, tho.

Alex