home

Author Topic: Is Fantasy Back - Everything comes round again. Even squares  (Read 34186 times)

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
Re: Is Fantasy Back - Everything comes round again. Even squares
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2019, 02:18:26 PM »
Decals have went a long way since the old days. With the likes of micro sol/set around I would gladly tackle some brett heraldry.

On a sidenote, I wonder if the latest goblin wolf rider warband and the chaos warrior models were made with the Old World in mind? I was expecting the next incarnation of chaos warriors to be at least orruk sized!

Me too, I thought the new Chaos Warriors would look like Varanguard on foot, but I was surprised at how classic they look. Surprised and happy. I think that iteration of Chaos warriors, tall, straight-back, fur cloak, they look dignified and crazy terrifying. Especially in the Mark of Chaos cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFGJQIW5ZM

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »
I liked the "trailer".
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »
I liked the "trailer".

That trailer and the original 40k dawn of war trailer were incredible. My son and I occasionally watch these and wax nostalgia
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
Was there a Warhammer movie that trailer went with?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
I am surprised to hear Bretonnians didn’t sell well. Everyone I have chatted with like the models and they sell for crazy dollars on eBay. I dropped a lot on them too.

I think part of it was that they were generic knights. I'm especially thinking of the plastic Knights of the Realm kit. As time passed more and more companies started making knights. The big Bret player in my last club had ~10,000 pts, but the vast majority of his actual knight models were from other ranges. People liked the models, but they weren't really playing them. I have an army and the book, but I never really played them in games so I can't speak on the rule. I think I remember them being very up and down.

I'm curious if there's archived tournament surveys showing how many of each army showed up.

It was for a video game GP. One of the cinematics.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
They had a pretty specific playstyle too. Peasant horde could be done but it was mostly cavalry. Most armies were a bit more flexible when it came to that.

But to be honest, they didn't sell because of lack of promotion. If the recent years have taught us anything, it is that GW can sell absolutely anything if they advertise it enough.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »
They had a pretty specific playstyle too. Peasant horde could be done but it was mostly cavalry. Most armies were a bit more flexible when it came to that.

But to be honest, they didn't sell because of lack of promotion. If the recent years have taught us anything, it is that GW can sell absolutely anything if they advertise it enough.

This.

I think that, even if the new fantasy line doesn't do as well as AoS, people will be VERY surprised how well it does.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »

There was an online game (similar to world of Warcraft style) for a warhammer environment. I had a warrior priest character (of course) for awhile but for some reason can’t remember that much more about it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »
Your thinking of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Artoban.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Online%3A_Age_of_Reckoning

Pretty much the same style as WoW but never really took off. I remember playing the free demo with friends a lot.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2019, 12:24:13 AM »
Your thinking of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Artoban.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Online%3A_Age_of_Reckoning

Pretty much the same style as WoW but never really took off. I remember playing the free demo with friends a lot.

You are correct sir!  Brain malfunction again. (Quelle surprise!)
What was the mark of chaos?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:54:59 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2019, 01:05:29 AM »
Mark of Chaos was their attempt at a, I dunno, army builder game would be the best to describe it. The campaign had you play a hero moving from location to location. Some locations you could recruit new regiments and units, and then the other locations you could fight army vs army. Custom games let you just make an army and fight, like a digital version of a normal warhammer game.

I played the heck out of it but had some kind of glitch where I could never play multiplayer or custom games, and the campaign got boring quick.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2019, 04:10:19 AM »
Mark of Chaos was their attempt at a, I dunno, army builder game would be the best to describe it. The campaign had you play a hero moving from location to location. Some locations you could recruit new regiments and units, and then the other locations you could fight army vs army. Custom games let you just make an army and fight, like a digital version of a normal warhammer game.

I played the heck out of it but had some kind of glitch where I could never play multiplayer or custom games, and the campaign got boring quick.

I had this game too. Remember problems as well. I remember being disappointed in it for probably the same reasons
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:57 AM »

I had this game too. Remember problems as well. I remember being disappointed in it for probably the same reasons

It was a substandard Total War clone without having a total war campaign. It was lame.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
I thought it was good. It was more like Dark Omen, than Total War. The combat was decent, the units looked good and I liked that they tried to implement duels into the combat. There were also missions were you could wander around with only your heroes in a cave/crypt in search for magic items and gold, which was a nice change. The only downside was that the campaign was rather short.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2019, 10:40:52 AM »
It was a substandard Total War clone without having a total war campaign. It was lame.

I thought it was good. It was more like Dark Omen, than Total War. The combat was decent, the units looked good and I liked that they tried to implement duels into the combat.

I remember when it came out this was the divide with my then roommate on the matter. If you had played Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen then Mark of Chaos was pretty good, same basic game style but with modern graphics. If you had not but played plenty of Total War then the similar looking battles led to Doombulls assessment.

Also as much as I enjoy the current Total War Warhammer titles, I do think Mark of Chaos battles had a better feel to them as in more in line with table top. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »

I thought it was good. It was more like Dark Omen, than Total War. The combat was decent, the units looked good and I liked that they tried to implement duels into the combat.

I remember when it came out this was the divide with my then roommate on the matter. If you had played Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen then Mark of Chaos was pretty good, same basic game style but with modern graphics. If you had not but played plenty of Total War then the similar looking battles led to Doombulls assessment.

Also as much as I enjoy the current Total War Warhammer titles, I do think Mark of Chaos battles had a better feel to them as in more in line with table top.

Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat, were better games than Mark of Chaos though :P

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »
Did fantasy go away? Guess I have been trapped in my own little universe where it never left?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2019, 05:08:38 PM »
Did fantasy go away? Guess I have been trapped in my own little universe where it never left?

:biggriin:
 :::cheers:::
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
 :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »
The battles in Mark of Chaos were great, and I'd agree they feel better then Total War Warhammer. The campaign is the let down part, although I also liked the missions where you looked for magic items with a small force.

That's partly why I was so disappointed. My game fouled up and I couldn't play any of the custom battles, which meant I couldn't play the best part! I had to replay the campaign over and over.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »

Warhammer Total War was the first and only TW game that I played. The battles are mostly nice to play, but I found the campaign play to be rather tedious and boring. I wish it was a bit more like Heroes of Might and Magic III - always something to do and discover there.

PS.: "There is no escape from Chaos ... it marks us all!"  :ph34r:

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2019, 02:14:09 PM »
You know guys, it seems GW felt compelled to rename many of their races and units to separate themselves from other IP, so I am wondering that when GW goes back to the Old World, that it isn't different than what everyone is expecting. Are they really doing to go back to calling the Dwarves 'Dwarves'? I don't think they will. Wanderers going back to High Elves, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves? I don't see it. Some things that they could call uniquely GW could stay, like the Empire and Chaos, but others seem to will require some changes in the lore, or they just create a new period prior to the one we all know. Granted I still think it will be some human-centric event like a Horus Heresy in 40k, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to disappoint old fans that the world doesn't come back like it was before the End Times, mainly due to the changes GW have given to their products.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:06:04 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Doombull

• Members
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
You know guys, it seems GW felt compelled to rename many of their races and units to separate themselves from other IP, so I am wondering that when GW goes back to the Old World, that it isn't different than what everyone is expecting. Are they really doing to go back to calling the Dwarves 'Dwarves'? I don't think they will. Wanderers going back to High Elves, Dark Elves, and Wood Elves? I don't see it. Some things that they could call uniquely GW could stay, like the Empire and Chaos, but others seem to will require some changes in the lore, or they just create a new period prior to the one we all know. Granted I still think it will be some human-centric event like a Horus Heresy in 40k, but I wouldn't be surprised for them to disappoint old fans that the world doesn't come back like it was before the End Times, mainly due to the changes GW have given to their products.

I expect it to be very similar to the way it was before, but I do expect name changes. Orcs might be Orruks, ect. Even if the ARMIES don't get name changes, units themselves might.

Similar to how in 5th edition, Beastmen had a Minotaur Lord. But in 7th, it became the Doombull. Can't copyright Minotaur Lord... but you can copyright Doombull.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2019, 02:47:21 AM »
Similar to how in 5th edition, Beastmen had a Minotaur Lord. But in 7th, it became the Doombull. Can't copyright Minotaur Lord... but you can copyright Doombull.

Normally I fully agree with the full cynical interpretation but in this case Doombull is from the 3rd edition as the title from level 20 Minotaur Heroes. As GW found the need to have more specific titles for many character types during the 6th then increasingly more so over the last two additions a surprising number of these are actually drawn from the 3rd edition armies book.

Copyright might certainly have been a part of it but it wasn't completely new.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
I don't think they'll change the names of the units in the way you all think.  It won't be Orruks, Duardin or Aelves.  (Although we may get Dawi and Asur, Asrai and Druchii)

But, I think they'll do something like they've done for Bloodbowl, where teams are not sold as "Lizardmen Team", but "Gwaka'moli Crater Gators - Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team", which would mean like Regiments of Renown

"Nuln Ironsides - Empire Handgunners Warhammer: Old World Regiment"