home

Author Topic: Good and bad matchups for this list in a team tournament  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Dr Hochland

• Members
Good and bad matchups for this list in a team tournament
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
Hi all, new to the forums although not to warhammer and the Empire.
Have recently started getting into the tournament scene and am doing a team tournament in a few weeks time, my first one of this kind.
4 players per team, 2400pts, lists have to be 13+ on Swedish.

I'm playing along side a combat WOC army (kitted up to take elves apart, lots of chariots, fire magic and breath weapons), Beastmen with huge numbers and lots of chaff (ideal matchup is a gunline) and an unconventional OnG list with a lot of shooting and three monsters.
My list is below. It's already submitted so I'm not asking for tips on what to have in the list, what I'm not clear on is what my good and bad matchups are.
Any advice on what I can't fight? Any advice on what I should be able to beat?

Many thanks!

LIST
GoTE on Griffon, bloodroar, fullplate, charmed shield, white cloak of ulric, lance (General)
Lv4 on Death, opal amulet

BSB on pegasus, ToP, enchanted shield, fullplate, lance
Master engineer, LA
Lv2 on shadow, scroll
Witch hunter, BoP, dragonhelm, ruby ring of ruin

38 halberds FCG, 2x10 free company as detachments (Lv4 and Witch hunter go here)
15 handgunners, 5 crossbows as detachment (engineer can hide in here near hellblaster if needs be)
10 archers (Lv2 here)

3 demis FCG, rangers standard
Cannon
Cannon
5 outriders

Hellblaster

swedish 13.3

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
Re: Good and bad matchups for this list in a team tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
Wow, crazy list here.
I think bad matchups would be things like skaven and armies with multiple hordes.
Then again your list has a bunch of speed with the griffon and the bsbsus.
Not really an expert on this, just giving some thoughts.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline undivided.capital

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
One weakness would be against armies with war machines.

Cannons would really hurt the GotE and BSB. I am always nervous about putting my BSB on a pegasus because it is just such a juicy target.

Also almost all your shooting is move or fire so your not exactly moving up the field. Sitting back I think you will likely be outgunnned by the enemy as your HBVG likely wont be in range.

I think you would really do some serious damage to avoidance armies.

What do you think? Also make sure you let us know how it goes! It is a unconventional list so I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Sam Taylor

Offline Dr Hochland

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 05:17:52 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies and thoughts!

Swedish 13+ really doesn't allow shooting-heavy lists, so whilst I agree that against a genuine gunline I'd struggle (as only the pair of cannons have the range to threaten an enemy that sits back) the lists have been published and mine is probably in the top 3 shootiest lists. So I expect the double cannons to give me far better long range shooting than most of my opponents can muster.
If I did draw one of the shootier lists I'd probably have to go hell-for-metal with the flyers and demis up the field, whilst moving up the Death wizard into purple sun range (shooting heavy dwarfs, chaos dwarfs and ogres aren't going to like purple sun, and pit of shades should I roll it). Very risky, but that's kinda why I went for double flyers just to give me some speed in case I was forced to play the aggressor. But yeah, from the lists I've seen I'll be mostly getting to play defender.

I'm not too concerned about the BSB being cannon-able, as I find people tend to shoot at the griffon first, the demis second and the BSB a distant third. Plus as no other list in the field has two cannons I expect to be able to neutralise their cannons with mine in T1, giving them one sho=ot at taking out my BSB (if that's what they choose to aim for).

Good point on Skaven/horde armies (there are some Beastmen and Empire lists packing multiple hordes as well). Going to struggle to get points out of infantry blocks (although Bloodroar + Doom and Darkness gives some possibilities!) and don't have flaming to deal with the Hellpits (that every single Skaven list is packing). One to avoid for sure, my OnG/Beastmen teammates would have a much better time.

I confess I can't work out if avoidance armies (there are no true avoidance armies at this tournament as Swedish hates them, but there are certainly some fast MSU Dark Elves/Daemons/Ogres) are a good match up (because of how easily I can reduce small units to rubble at range) or a bad match up (because of all my shooting being move or fire, and because of the ease with which the halberds can be isolated and combo charged).

What do you think about Brets/Knight heavy Empire? I have lots of armour piercing/ignoring stuff, but I do worry about Pegs getting into my shooting, fast combat units combocharging stuff, trebs doing insane damage, etc.