home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 790785 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #8700 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
What do the beast pellets do exactly?

I fought Longinus once last night and got him to half way.  I can get him, though the distance you need to run to get to him is a headache.

Nightmare Menis is absurdly difficult for me at the moment.  Just crazy.  Curious to see what I can do about it.  Probably need 10 or 15 levels.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:17:58 PM by PhillyT »
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8701 on: April 17, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
I'm up to Logarius too. Not much of a run back though! Don't have to kill anything even.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8702 on: April 17, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
Is there a second lamp?

I have only unlocked that initial lamp, then you need to use the elevator, climb the ladder, run through the libraries, across the roofs...

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8703 on: April 17, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »
Yeah, only the one, but it just doesn't seem that bad to me. Faster than Amelia, where you had to fight.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8704 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »
I ran all the way in Amelia, but I only needed two tries for her!  Longinus feels like he will take many...

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8705 on: April 17, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8706 on: April 17, 2015, 09:35:57 PM »
I'm using the Blades at the moment, do you tend to use the dual or single blade? I find myself always parrying, so I only have the single out and it feels kind of a waste. The double with a high endurance build and the beast pellets must be amazing.

I mostly run dual-blades for the speed.  It takes a lot less stamina per swing and I can dish out a crapton of DPS.  But you can't parry or backstab so if I think I need to get some viscerals I'm quite willing to switch.  Single also seems better for crowd control but that's just my gut feeling.

Also, the arcane damage only procs on rolling and backstep attacks, and L2 in twin mode.  Not sure if running or jumping does it as well, but basic R1 and R2 definitely don't.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8707 on: April 18, 2015, 05:50:10 AM »
Wow, did not know the arcane damage wasn't on every swing. I've already stopped using them, but still.

Logarius seemed harder than he was. About 5 tries at level 55. Loving Chikage + Evelyn. Felt over levelled for Amygdala, that was a one shot.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8708 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:36 AM »
I'm going after him today.  The nightmare host was an easy kill.  Got him first try.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8709 on: April 18, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
Battle Front Trailer  :icon_eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8
Made by dice, published by EA

I predict a total launch clusterfuck
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8710 on: April 18, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
Bloodborne just gets better and better.  I managed to negotiate the bridges with the Frenzy brain guys in Nightmare Mesis after killing the Host.  Got the Blood Rock and got Ludwig's blade up to +10.

Sort of made a slight mistake.  I upgraded Evelyn to +9 and have been leveling my Bloodtinge, but now I am thinking I should have dumped into Strength and gotten Cannon instead.  Not too big a deal I guess.

I went to the Upper Cathedral and got the Contact gesture to show Mother Brain (dumped her in the pit) and will go after the first side boss up there before leveling a bit more and going after Longinus again.

Such an amazing game, truly.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8711 on: April 18, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
Logarius is just parry -> visceral the whole fight. I had more trouble with Amelia!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8712 on: April 18, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
I only tried Longinus once and got him to half, but I never managed to parry, it was all dodging in and out and two handed swings!

I'll give him another shot tonight!

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8713 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »

We both exploded.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #8714 on: April 19, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
MrDWhitey: What games is that naval battle from? Looks like a couple of destroyers having a bit of a barney.....

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8715 on: April 19, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »
Tis from World of Warships closed beta.

It's two low tier battleships engaging each other at point blank. I ended up blowing him up just as he rammed me and took me with him.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8716 on: April 19, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
Last night I did a bit of wandering around upper cathedral ward.  They really tried to get a survival-horror vibe going in this location, complete with jump-scare monsters coming through windows, and fighting in the dark where all you can see is glowing eyes and a vague lupine shape in the dimness.  Plus sinister music - you don't normally get music in a souls game except during bossfights.  Also, I lost about 20 insight to those mutherfukker brain-sucking things.  Didn't even find a boss, although did find a key and I think the door may be at the other end of the aforementioned dark room.

Put a single point into bloodtinge to try out the ritterplushy I'm not even going to try to spell that correctly - the rapier/gun.  Turned out I didn't really like it that much.  Strangely enough the pokes were quite slow, much slower than a rapier in any other souls game.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #8717 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
Tis from World of Warships closed beta.
How did you get into the beta you scrub
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8718 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:29 PM »
Micolash was a very disappointingly easy boss. The One Reborn was way better. Loved that fight.

Just the Upper Cathedral to go, then back to Mergo and through to the end. Bloodtinge/Arcane has been very fun. Will probably try to do Yharnam before I do the ending, but we'll see if I have the patience.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8719 on: April 19, 2015, 11:02:21 PM »
What are you missing in Yarnham?

I finished off the guy in the Cathedral for Eileen.

Killed the giant Alien in the Garden and went to visit the Cthulhu thing in the Alter of Dispair but didn't fight her.  Had to use a bold hunter mark to get out but I was lugging 120,000 echos and have read she is about the toughest boss in the game.  I have to kill the Nurse and Longinus and I think I'm done.

I am level 100 and have been upgrading the cannon which is great when combined with two handed Ludwig.

Such a great game.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8720 on: April 20, 2015, 01:38:34 AM »
I killed the Daughter on my second attempt. She's not that hard. I was level 72.

I am ashamed to admit I died to the Celestial Emissary the first time :(

Yarhnam is the Queen's name, the final Chalice boss. That woman in white from the cut scenes, who presumably bore Mergo and got the whole business started. Crazy game.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8721 on: April 20, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
I'm not so sure what to do about the chalice dungeons.  I have made one with the normal chalice.  One with the root Chalice.  I have the third chalice, the Loran one, but I don't have the blood ritual stuff to activate it.

I beat Longinus by straight tanking him.  I equipped the second level counter clockwise metamorhpeses, the second damage resistance thing, and the +4 blood vials.  I started out trying to finesse him then just decided to crush him with my two handed sword.  Worked out fine.  I then wrapped up Alfred's quest and became a full blown executioner.

Mergo wasn't hard, like you said Sig.  I tanked her and finished her first try.  The purple haze thing was a little tough, but I I just played keep away until it went away.

I backed up my save and got the first, easiest ending.  Gehrman then killed me the time I went for one of the others.  I figure I'll get the other trophies first.  Need to kill the cthulhu girl, get all the weapons, kill Yharnum, and get the hunter tools.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8722 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
Nice one. Though, I haven't killed Mergo's Wetnurse, I killed Erebrias, Daughter of the Cosmos. It's Erebrias I thought pretty easy at 72. As long as you can avoid her charges and wear anti-frenzy gear or have sedatives then you'll be fine. Her blood spit caught me twice on the kill attempt and nearly had me frenzy, which would have killed me. I like how batshit crazy Alfred went. His wheel had chunks of gore all over it! I resurrected her though. I need to go kill Mother Brain, then the Wetnurse, and then I think I'll do Chalices before finishing up. I have no intention of getting Platinum so I'll just reroll and have another go through the game I think, or hit NG+ depending how I feel. I ended up just gunning Erebrias down, do love the Evelyn with high Bloodtinge.

The Chalice dungeons seem to have to be done in order. I did the Pthermu (spelling?) and then Central Pthermu, and now will do Lower. Each one seems to drop off the final boss of the last, and the materials are in boxes around the levels. They don't seem to be too hard to find but have to be done in order. Erebrias drops a Chalice I can't activate and I don't have the materials for the Loran one from Amygdala either. I think I'll get the materials for them from the Lower Pthermu chalice, or the one below that.

Apart from the cool bosses, the best reason to do them is the weapons. Since I'm nearly done I've read up on the game, and the weapons there have different gem slots - which is awesome. So you can get weapons that normally don't have Waning slots and turn them into Fire or Bolt weapons, which I plan to do with a second Chikage.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8723 on: April 20, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »
I am super pumped to go get Dark Souls 2 on PS4, which is why I want platinum in one run if possible.  Plus my buddy did it and I would like to get that relatively easy platinum too!

I did the Phutnum Root chalice.  I'll do the Central one next and see if I can delve deeper.

I loved Alfred's freak out.  Chunks of queen everywhere!  The bell helmet is really neat.  I am wearing a combination of the Executioner robe and helmet, the Crow gloves, and the black church pants.  I think it suits my general play style, as close to tanking as possible plus good resistance to the various elemental effects.

I'll go kill the Cthulhu girl this afternoon I think.  Very cool that she isn't evil and you are actually showing you are a nutcase looking to murder everything by doing her in!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8724 on: April 20, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
Yeah it's interesting that she isn't obviously malicious. Though, her kind are the source of the plague turning men to beasts, so I'm not too sure about it all. If you could RP at all though my guy would be all for getting on board with these Great Ones. The Umbilical Cord ending is the one I'll choose, since it suits the Faustian/mad-doktor mashup character I had in mind when I started.

But since you get stuff for killing her, down she went! Anyway, evil or not she's ugly as sin, really gross when actually fighting her. She's facing away from you when she's sleeping, her face is even uglier than what you can see.

Super pumped for any DLC for this one. Lots of possibilities. I won't be getting the remaster of DS2, I played that one to where I was happy with it and don't need to play it again. I'd buy a Demon's Souls remaster for full retail price in a heartbeat though.