home

Author Topic: An attempt at a 2000 points Orcs & Goblins force  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
An attempt at a 2000 points Orcs & Goblins force
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
As I mentioned somewhere else, a friend of mine has left his Orcs and Goblins in my keeping since he doesn't get to play very much and figures if they're at my place, they'll at least see some use. Now, far be it from me to disappoint, and so I've decided to play them in a 2000 points game against another friends High Elves today (which I thoroughly stomped yesterday at my first Empire 2000 points game by the way...  :-D). Never having played greenskins before (though I have played against them some times), this is what I came up with after some quality time with Army Builder. What do the more experienced Orc Generals here think?

Characters:

1 Black Orc Warboss @ 233 Pts
   General; Heavy Armour; Shield
   1 Boar
   1 Ulags Akk'rit Axe
   1 Bigged's Kickin' Boots

1 Black Orc Big Boss (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 180 Pts
   Heavy Armour
   1 Boar
   1 Mork's Spirit Totem

1 Orc Shaman @ 120 Pts
   Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Nibbla's 'Itty Ring

1 Goblin Shaman @ 200 Pts
   Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
   1 Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Core:

23 Orc Boyz @ 191 Pts
   Full Command, 2 Choppas
   (Warboss goes here)

23 Orc Boyz @ 168 Pts
   Full command, Shields
   (BSB goes here)

19 Orc Boyz @ 124 Pts
   Standard bearer
   (Orc Shaman goes here)

20 Night Goblins @ 85 Pts
   Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

5 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 76 Pts
  Musician; Short Bow; Spear

Special:

1 Goblin Spear Chukka @ 35 Pts

1 Goblin Rock Lobber @ 70 Pts

1 Orc Boar Chariot @ 80 Pts

Rare:

1 Goblin Doom Diver Catapult @ 80 Pts

4 Trolls @ 160 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2002

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: An attempt at a 2000 points Orcs & Goblins force
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »
   1 Boar
   1 Ulags Akk'rit Axe
   1 Bigged's Kickin' Boots

I would either go with the amulet of protectiness or the best boss hat.

Heavy Armour
   1 Boar
   1 Mork's Spirit Totem

I would drop the boar since he is better on foot (AHW)

1 Orc Shaman @ 120 Pts
   Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Nibbla's 'Itty Ring

Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Goblin Wolf Chariot

I would drop these guys.  Not really enough magic to be worth the effort.  Maybe just the shaman with a pair of D. scrolls

Core:

23 Orc Boyz @ 191 Pts
   Full Command, 2 Choppas
   (Warboss goes here)

23 Orc Boyz @ 168 Pts
   Full command, Shields
   (BSB goes here)

19 Orc Boyz @ 124 Pts
   Standard bearer
   (Orc Shaman goes here)

Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

All good.

Special:

Put bullies on all warmachines, it makes them immune to goblin panic and boosts their leadership and combat ability for VERY little.  Also, I would use more bolt throwers rather than rock lobbers.

Rare:

4 Trolls @ 160 Pts

Giants.  Giants are the best in the game.  They give O&G armies a much needed boost in survivability and reliability.  With the points you cut from the magic phase, plus the dropping of these two units will let you get 2 of them.  One will never live for long, two will do very well.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »
   1 Boar
   1 Ulags Akk'rit Axe
   1 Bigged's Kickin' Boots

I would either go with the amulet of protectiness or the best boss hat.
I guess the best boss hat it'll be then.
   Heavy Armour
   1 Boar
   1 Mork's Spirit Totem

I would drop the boar since he is better on foot (AHW)
How do you mean? The boar improves his AS by +2, doesn't it? Why is he better on foot?
1 Orc Shaman @ 120 Pts
   Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Nibbla's 'Itty Ring

Level 2 Upgrade
   1 Goblin Wolf Chariot

I would drop these guys.  Not really enough magic to be worth the effort.  Maybe just the shaman with a pair of D. scrolls
OK... I see your point and I'll consider it. Although I like greenskin magic. I had considered using 2 rather basic lvl 2 Orc Shamans and hope for "Bash em lads" and "Waaagh". Those seem like great support spells. Although I realize getting off a 12+ spell with a lvl 2 is tricky. I'll have to think on this.
Core:

23 Orc Boyz @ 191 Pts
   Full Command, 2 Choppas
   (Warboss goes here)

23 Orc Boyz @ 168 Pts
   Full command, Shields
   (BSB goes here)

19 Orc Boyz @ 124 Pts
   Standard bearer
   (Orc Shaman goes here)

Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

Short Bows
   1 Fanatic

All good.
:icon_cool:
Special:

Put bullies on all warmachines, it makes them immune to goblin panic and boosts their leadership and combat ability for VERY little.  Also, I would use more bolt throwers rather than rock lobbers.
The bullies will be added. I didn't realize they made the unit immune to Goblin panic, and the leadership boost seemed negligible. Concerning more spear chukkas: I'd like to, but there are only two in that army. And I'll play it some before I decide to add models to it. Might adding extra crewmen for the chariots be worthwile?
Rare:

4 Trolls @ 160 Pts

Giants.  Giants are the best in the game.  They give O&G armies a much needed boost in survivability and reliability.  With the points you cut from the magic phase, plus the dropping of these two units will let you get 2 of them.  One will never live for long, two will do very well.

Phil
There is only one Giant availabe. And since a single Giant seems to die rather quickly in my experience (the single one a WoC player I regularly play against fields has yet to see combat against my Empire army), I thought trolls would be better. So what would you take? Single Giant or trolls?
The game set for today was cancelled, so I'll have time to play with this list some more. Thanks for the help so far PhillyT.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:16:10 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:42:48 AM »
I would think about using the trolls, but they are tough to deal with.  Make them stonetrolls and they are rock solid though.

Concerning magic, My philosophy is all or nothing.  Either go with a minimum of 10 power dice or just use the defensive goblin.  The orc great shaman is pretty good to be honest, and with 3 2nd level night goblins...

:D

Phil

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »
Boyz with two choppas are a bit expensive, but OK.
You only have one unit of light cavalry, i'd go with three or even four. But AT LEAST two.
Consider dropping the 19 orcs unit to free up some points, the shaman (if you keep him) can also hide in the goblins.
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Boyz with two choppas are a bit expensive, but OK.
You only have one unit of light cavalry, i'd go with three or even four. But AT LEAST two.
Consider dropping the 19 orcs unit to free up some points, the shaman (if you keep him) can also hide in the goblins.
I really wouldn't hide a character in those night gobbos. They die horribly from being looked at sternly, and I expect them to. After all, they have to make way for the orcs coming after them in the second wave.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »
I also prefer shield orcs, though I don't use them anyway.  Night goblins are as survivable as our empire troops, and more so with netters.  It is deceptive.

Phil

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
Goblins are quirte resilent, especially when they have a character boosting their morale.
However, if you want to send them as "first wave" a shaman has no place in them indeed.

but if you want to rush them forwards, why do you take goblins with bows? HW&Shield is better in this case i believe.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
Why use goblins at all.  Night Goblins are ace!

Phil

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Now you have gone and whetted my appetite for a magic-heavy army, something I have never really done before. How about a black orc big boss as the general to provide some close-in leadership, and an orc great shaman and 2 lvl 2 shamans as magic fwackoom. I could even put the Great Shaman on a Wyvern, there is a still unassembled model in one of those boxes... He might be a bit too fragile on his own, though.
Hmmmm.
*munches some 'shrooms for inspiration*

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
I didn't see it asked, but who are you going to be fighting against?  All comers or your group of friends?  When O & G first came out my 2 shaman army was tough against most armies.  Now the builds I see are mostly magic heavy.  In my only game against daemons I never got a spell off and I had to save dispell dice for the greater evil spells because I was woefully outclassed.

The local group has fragmented into 'friendly' games and the 'preparing for the World Championship' guys.  So the 2 shaman approach works again.
 :engel:
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
I didn't see it asked, but who are you going to be fighting against?  All comers or your group of friends? 
My friends. Although there is quite a range among those concerning skill and competitiveness. So going absolutely "lean and mean" is not really the goal. We play to win, and we take no lists that are "weak" on purpose, but we don't go WAAC. It's still supposed to be (somewhat  8-)) friendly.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
Night goblins are as survivable as our empire troops, and more so with netters. 

I smell a trap, but I ain't taking the bait this time...
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
Just do the math and once again see how wrong you are.  Only their leadership is an issue, but this can be mitigated by either putting a normal goblin boss in with them, a LD6 normal goblin shaman, or just keep them near the LD9 general.

But, without any of these, you are right, they are not as survivable.  That said, an empire unit lacking something similar will get steamrolled too.

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:38:46 AM »
Just do the math and once again see how wrong you are. 

Just checked my calculator but I do not seem to find the Animosity button, Random Dice or the Low LD ones...

Math hammer is hard to do with the above, not to mention my own experience against NGs (I suspect I know the O&G list better than Empire) says differently.

But I am chewing old gum here with no flavor.

With the right combo, NGs can be devastating to some armies. Against others they just flee the board.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:56:03 AM by Shadowlord »
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »
The 16% chance of stalling per turn can suck, but there is a chance that they will move forward on the same percentage.  Animosity isn't nearly the issue it once was.

In terms of combat survivability, they are much more likely to remain in combat for fewer points.

Aldaris:  I missed it the first time, but the reason to leave the Black Orc on foot is so he can leverage his Armed to da teef rule better.  He can use his AHW option with the +1S while still holding the BSB.

Phil

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »
Would you really field him on foot? Without the boar he is only wearing heavy armour, which makes him VERY vulnerable!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
Bah!  T5 with a WS6!  Bring it baby!  Give him the amulet of protectiness and laugh it to the bank!

Phil

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »
Sure he is more resilent than a captain, but anything with greatweapons has a least a 25% chance to wound him. And when he carries the spirit totem he can not take the amulet.

Of course, if you get the charge (and orcs should get it) he is capable of killing enough to not get too many hits back. As with many things in the O&G book it is risky, but that is also the fun in O&G.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
I was referring to my BSB, who doesn't bother with the spirit totem because he is in a BO unit.

But in this case, he will still hammer most things, since even on a boar his AS would move to a 6+ against the GW you mentioned making it a bit of a non-issue in terms of survivability.  On foot he can take his armed to the teef and use AHW or GW's as needed.

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »
In terms of combat survivability, they are much more likely to remain in combat for fewer points.

No.

And with that I'm done playing games.

Not real Warhammer though.
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
Alright, lets do some math then:

Lets take a unit of 25 state troops with shields versus a unit of 36 Night Goblins with nets and spears.  The point difference is 175 to 199, so about 24 points.

Lets take them both verses something like 20 Dark elf Corsairs for ease of use.

Versus State Troops - Swordsmen:
The corsairs get 11 attacks out their frontage, with 6 hits + 3 more for hatred for 9 total.  There will be between 4 and 5 wounds, with 2 - 3 after saves.  The swordsmen get 4 - 5 attacks back with 2 hits and one wound after saves.  The swordsmen get the outnumber and full ranks plus the wound for CR6, while the Corsairs get 2 ranks and 3 wounds, losing by one.

Versus Night Goblins:
The corsairs get 7 hits plus 2 - 3 more from hatred, lets round up to 10.  Against T3, their S2 will result in only 2 - 3 wounds.  The night goblins then get 9 attacks, with 5 hits, 2 or 3 wounds, and 1 getting through (though a greater likelihood of getting an additional wound than the swordsmen statistically).  The night goblins get the same result as the swordsmen, winning by one.

Versus Spearmen:
The corsairs get 7 hits plus 2 - 3 more from hatred, lets round up to 10.  They wound with 5, getting 3 through.  The spearmen get 8 attacks, with 4 hits, 2 wounds, and 1 - 2 getting through.  Again, they win by one.

Versus Halberdiers:
Halberdier fans don't want to know.  They lose.

While these first rounds seem good, subsequent rounds favor the corsairs against Empire troops since they move to the break even position due to the State troops losing a wound.  The nightgoblins on the other hand grind it out and actually continue to do even better, easily winning second rounds and further distancing themselves in the 3rd and 4th rounds, winning by several points.

Against T4 enemies it is even better.

This is of course in a vacuum, and Shadowlord will point out the LD5 of NG as their biggest issue.  It is.  But both units require leadersip bumps to be successful.  To dismiss the effectiveness of NG units out of hand is to not acknowledge both the statistical and anecdotal evidence to the contrary.  That doesn't mean they are world beaters, but they will beat units far better on paper than them with great regularity.

Within the context of the O&G army, where missile units are much cheaper, and giants serve as VERY strong bastions to base hard points around, the army can be very powerful when utilized effectively.

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Mathi Alfbluthidutidideli=topic=27207.msg361847#msg361847 date=1235516442
This is of course in a vacuum, and Shadowlord will point out the LD5 of NG as their biggest issue. 

No animosity and the whole O&G army is the biggest reason they are not as mighty as you claim.

Leadship is another weakness just like netters, points, and fanatics are their strength.
My hood is my castle...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
I don't generally count fanatics.  While I use them, they aren't as good as people think.  Plus, once they are in the unit, the thing hits 270 points!  Thats alot for someone to scoop.

As for animosity, it is as good as it is bad now.  There is an equal likelyhood that they will move forward as stall out in 7th edition.  In 6th it just sucked, but not now.  Add the WAAGH and it is a positive.

Phil

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 12:26:43 PM »
While I use them, they aren't as good as people think.  Plus, once they are in the unit, the thing hits 270 points!  Thats alot for someone to scoop.

Indeed and some armies can easily bring them out in turn one, safe and far away from afar.

As for animosity, it is as good as it is bad now.  There is an equal likelyhood that they will move forward as stall out in 7th edition.  In 6th it just sucked, but not now.  Add the WAAGH and it is a positive.

My hat for yew no know limit...  :biggriin:

Yes but one thing I have noticed is that moving random forward can be as devestating as standing still at times.

You know, enemy charges and the like.

Waaagh! is excellent.
My hood is my castle...