home

Author Topic: Dark Stars Game thread IC  (Read 97369 times)

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
Dark Stars Game thread IC
« on: March 08, 2016, 04:34:09 AM »
You walk behind Master Hasarian. The metal decking of the docking bay rings as you walk.

Footfall...

A massive, sprawling void port of gigantic stone asteroids bound together by ornate bridges, flexible tunnels, and chains the size of voidships, all centred around a macrostatue of the most holy that stand kilometers high.  This statue, placed by Footfall's founder, the Rogue Trader Parsimus Derwin, looks out sadly over a morass of vice, degradation, perversion, sedition, mutation, and heresy.

The floating agglomeration of Footfall is situated just rimward of The Maw, transfixed in the hellish glare of the star Furibundus.

It was in this hellish glare that you and your ship Holy Venture, a Sword class, were nearly turned to dust by Footfall's trigger-happy gunners. However the mear mention of Hasarian's name abruptly ended the bombardment. You little of you new master at the moment.

However you know that he is imposing. The black beard, the heavy xeno fur pelt, even the way he walks. "A refined barbarian" A crew mate put it.

You can tell that beneath the braided moustache that the man is smirking. Hes Happy to be here!

Unlike you. This is the first time on the massive void station of rock and chain. A floating settlement of scum.

As you reach one of the great airlocks that serve at the entrances to Footfall, Hasarian smiles.

"Brace yourselves" he says

With an angry burst of venting gases, the armoured airlock portal swings outwards. As the swirling miasma clears, a thousand sights, sounds and smells assault your senses simultaneously. Stepping through, you find yourself in a huge, vaulted space, the walls made of roughly-hewn stone dripping with the corruption of ages.

This is the Footfall longshore, and it is crowded with hundreds of void-farers, labourers, servitors, merchants, and scum—all swearing, grunting or calling out the values of their wares. If you expected a welcoming party, you’re disappointed— this is Footfall, where money and blood are the only currency.

Hasarian takes a deep sniff of air.

"AH! You smell that lads? That, is the smell of progress!" he says spreading is arms wide as if to take it all in "That is the smell of the boundaries of the Imperium spreading!"

He turns back to you, so you can talk face to face.

"I never tire of visiting this place. Is it not glorious?" he asks

Player prompt: now would be a good time to ask about why Hasarian like Footfall, or why it is so important or even just to take it all in.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:36:12 AM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Re: Dark Stars Game thread IC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »
Jace followed, regarding the surroundings with distate. Before disembarking he had wrapped his scarf around his head, concealing the third eye which would otherwise draw unwanted attention. But now, looking out over the unwashed masses, he doubted if anyone would understand its significance, or whether he would actually stand out among the myriad minor mutations. Indeed, it seemed their boisterous captain was taking up the spotlight, drawing the eyes of onlookers away from his retinue.

'To each their own, I suppose,' Jace replies absently, making no effort to hide the aversion in his tone. 'The fragrance notwithstanding, did you have a practical purpose in mind for our visit here?'

[OoC: Making an Awareness check to notice any potential pickpockets]
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Looking around Desmond can't help but grin.

"Ignoring the rather pungent scent, this place is fascinating. Think of what must pass through a place like this. Artifacts, cash, profit of a million different kinds."

Desmond occasionally taps his pocket to make sure his data slate hasn't gone missing, and keeps a watchful eye. In particular he's looking for anyone that might make a good contact in the future. Either for business or information. The swell, and indeed smell, of humanity is powerful.

"That said I'm as curious as the Navigator." He adds. "Do you have a goal in mind here bossman? Or are we just visiting a favorite port?"

[OoC: I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right, but can I do a Common Lore/Underworld check for some information on Footfall?]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:13:18 PM by Gankom »

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »
(OOC @DS: lets see if I recall hot to do this, AW check- 55-fail...)

Footfalls pickpockets seem to be quite today...

(OOC @Gankom: +10 underworld check- 86 super fail! :P)

Your brain has been working overtime of late. It seems this stress has clouded your memory some what... you could all ways ask Hasarian

"Indeed!" Hasarian says happily "In fact here come's our little friends now!"

You spot to Servo skulls floating over. One as a pict-projector built in too it eye sockets, while the other seem to be carrying a dispenser of smone kind.

The projector skull hovers before you.

Suddenly it's eye flashes to life...

The static-filled image resolves into a monstrous brute, a vaguely man-shaped creature consisting almost entirely of exquisitely crafted bionic augmentations. Even his face has been re-crafted into a stylised death’s head of chased silver, though the eyes remain disturbingly human. When he speaks, however, his voice is surprisingly soft.

“Greetings, honoured Rogue Trader Hasarian and crew. My name is Tanthus Moross, Liege of Footfall, and it gives me pleasure to welcome
you here, amongst so many of your august peers. If you so desire, would you honour the nobility of Footfall with your
presence at a small celebratory meal tonight?” 

Hasarian nods his head

"I would be honoured, My Liege" He says

"Very good" Moross says "You and your crew members will need these passes" he says

The Dispenser skull floats forward and gives you each a square token of blank, blue-black metal

"You will need these to enter the palace" Moross says "Fare well"

With that the image flickers out and the servo skulls float away.

"And there you have it my friends" Hasarian says "It may sound like a waste of time but when I heard that His Liege was holding a dinner I could not turn down the change to eavesdrop on the local nobility!"

Hasarian suddenly turns serious.

"I think something very inauspicious is about to happen soon" he says "I need to be sure, hence why we are here"

Suddenly Hasarian is boisterous once again

"But no need to worry about that right now" he says smiling "the Dinner is at least 6 hours away"

He turns way looking over his shoulder at you

"But come" He says "I know this fantastic Amasec bar not far from here!"

You follow Hasarian for a few minutes.

As you reach the the to the Amasec Bar you can't help but feel someone is watching you... 

Player prompt: Two things may be done- Try to reassure yourself that no one is there (WP check) or scan the crowd to be sure (AW Check)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:01:03 PM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »
Filthy. Vulgar. Overcrowded. That was all Jace could think of as he followed his captain, clutching the token he kept hidden in his pocket. They actually had to push their way past the crowd at times; none would clear a path for them, as if they were equals somehow. The navigator had half a mind to remove his scarf and carve a way through- wait, what was that?

[OoC: Another Awareness test for me then, followed by a Psyniscience test if I don't find anything.]
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »
Desmond follows along behind, still looking around and taking in the exotic sights.

"Perhaps it would be wise to attempt to... approach some of the more well known figures or information brokers. See if we can't get a little intel on what's happening, before we show up tonight."

Yet he can't shake that strange feeling of being watched. Slightly worried Desmond starts focusing on the people around, trying to see if anyones taking an interest in them.

[OOC: Awareness for me as well I think.]

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
Icarus Bane follows his master dutifuly, his hands never far from his holstered Bolt Pistols.

"My lord", he says through his face-encompassing rebreather, "I think you should stay closer to me", he adds in his rasping voice. "I feel that we're being watched."

[OOC: Perception check as I subtly look around, my hand never straying too far from my shoulder holsters.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:44:45 AM by Xathrodox86 »
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
(@everyone- so.... yeah all the checks failed....  hehehe... please don't kill me!)

Yes, someone is watching you. You are sure of it.

However, no matter how hard you try you can't seem to be able to pin point your watcher.

"You noticed we have a tail then?" Hasarian asks "Looks like things are progressing faster than I thought"

And with that mysterious comment floating in the air Hasarian opens the door to the Amasec bar and walks in.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
Icarus Bane walks a couple of paces in front of his master, shouldering away people, who'd otherwise get in their way and casting wary glances all around. His muscles are tense and his pumped up for a violent confrontation.

I ask Jace: "Navigator, is there any chance that you'd be able to spot our curious birds?"
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
'I shall keep my eyes open,' Jace mutters absent-mindedly. 'All of them, if need be.'

'Captain, were you expecting the attentions of a particular? Anyone we should be concerned about?' He glances about, wrinkling his nose at the scum and degenerates crowding the streets. 'More so than usual, I mean?'

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »
(Non stop failed rolls, this is gonna be a good sign.)

Desmond stays silent, keeps an eye out and listens to the Captains response.

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
"Hummm?" Hasarian says as he ushers you in to the Amasec bar "Oh yes, I suppose I am Echo"

As you enter the bar you can see that it is of a higher grade then most of the open bars you past. First it's actually nice inside, at least there no blood on the wood paneling.

As you take your seats in up-scale, if rather worn, arm chairs Hasarian goes on.

"Fellow Rogue Traders, Tau, secessionists looking to make a name for themselves with my blood. You know, the usual"

With that he puts one fur edged, booted foot on the small desk in front of you, as cigars and well aged amasec is brought over.

"Among other threats..." you overhear him mutter to himself

Player prompt: You now have three options. You may ask Hasarian about the above threats mentioned and why they would be after him, you may ake about the local nobles of Footfall or ask about the other RTs currently on Footfall.

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
'An impressive list, to be sure. Speaking of Xenos, there is something I thought should be cleared up before the dinner party this evening.' He leans in closer, lowering his voice so only his companions can hear him.

'As you know I have worked under several captains, each of granted different rights by their warrant of trade. In particular, there were some with the right to perform cold trades with a number of Xenos races, while others were not. Does your warrant... Allow such for things?'

He leans back again, smiling weakly. 'I only mention this because, if you are expecting trouble with the blue ones as you say, perhaps negotiation might be the best approach? Provided, of course,' he adds hastily, turning to Desmond and Icarus, 'that we are all of one mind concerning this.'

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »
"Ah yes, I almost forgot" Hasarian says "I have all ways thought of the Cold Trade as a nuisance and no the Hasarian Family Warrant of Trade dose not have such a clause within it' wording. Quite the opposite."

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »
Desmond looks almost disappointed. "Ah that would make great sense for a most pious servant of the Emperor. It will certainly be something to remember in the future. Still negotiations could provide other benefits as well. Information is always the most valuable currency." Desmond pauses and considers the situation.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »
Bane looks around suspiciously, while toying with one of his Bolt Pistols under the table. "You know me master Hassarian. I'd follow you into the mouth of a Star Kraken, but I'm also glad that you do not wish to make any trade with them blue faced bastards." He whizzes through his breathing apartus. "Still, there's always one thing worse than a xeno, and that's a traitor" he adds quietly to himself.

[Continue rolling for perception.]

Gneisenau

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
'One can hardly call any action "treason" when it is permitted by a warrant of trade. Which is why the matter piques my interest- it represents an opportunity to introduce the savage species of Xenos to the light of the God-Emperor. But,' he adds thoughtfully, 'you are right in that such things must be done within the bounds of Imperial law, lest we invite heresy.'

He smiles, casually gesturing to indicate he is done with the subject. 'At any rate, let us speak of this dinner party to which we have been invited so cordially. A mere six hours is short notice indeed. Exactly how classy will this event be? And do you care to speculate on the guest list?'

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
@Xath-Per Check: 5! Pass!

As you look about you finally spot your watcher. A dark hooded figure rest at the far back of the bar.

Hasarian smiles. He no doubt saw your sudden change in demeanor, when you saw your tail.

"Well done Icarus" he says "Don't be too hasty though, lets see what they do first"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:36:33 PM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »
"The first axiom of defense is patience my lord. I have him in my sights and will not loose him". Bane slowly switches the safety on the Bolt Pistol, kept under the table.

"Jace, Desmond - can you cover the other parts of this joint? I don't want to loose our little watcher".

[OOC: I prepare for eventual confrontation, but don't do anything hasty or stupid.]

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 04:23:34 PM »
Desmond nods and nonchalantly drops his hands down towards his holster. "I'll do what I can." He says quietly before speaking louder. "Indeed bossman, what more can you tell us about tonight's festivities? Anyone of particular interest we should keep an eye out for?"

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
"Ah yes of course" Hasarian says "Well, His Liege will of course be there... "

From what you gather from Hasarian, Moross was an ill-tempered, machine-enhanced recidivist until he abruptly murdered the last Liege during a confrontation between factions in 808.M41. As Footfall’s Liege, Moross has lasted longer than most, perhaps because his horizons are narrow. He has shown little interest in attempting to control the port, and far greater regard for collecting bribes from factions who enjoy this state of affairs. He uses this wealth to purchase concubines and increasingly ornate augmentations.

Moross is now almost a vehicle in human form, a strange sight indeed amidst the silks of his audience bedchamber, surrounded by fearful body slaves. Suspicious minds wonder what is hidden behind this brute of a figurehead—and whether he is truly as simple as he seems.

"With that in mind it is likely that the Slave Guild's Master will be there as well, as the two have always gotten along for the reasons I have just stated above. I have only ever seen the man once, they call him, The Provisor..."

Hasarian goes on to tell you that, The Provisor is a member of the sinister slavers known as the Tutors. The Provisor is the intermediary through which most that have dealings with the masters of the Red Schola come to an arrangement. A disturbing figure, the features of the Provisor’s face are pushed out of place by the tubing of lifepreserving bionics which snake all around his body, swathed in dark grey robes hemmed with deepest red.

The Provisor is calculating, scrupulous to a fault in business dealings, and utterly ruthless when the opportunity arises toexploit the oversights of others. More than one potential slave owner has failed to carefully plan his transaction with the Tutors and been enslaved and broken for his carelessness.

"That being said, the only other force that I'm sure will be in play at the dinner will be The Kasballica Mission..."

The Kasballica, a great shadow-conclave of Drusus Marches crime barons, watches the exploration of the Halo Stars with interest. The Cold Trade in xenos artefacts (such as rainbowsheen materials from dead worlds of the Egarian Dominion) spreads from the Koronus Passage to run throughout the Calixis Sector and is a fountain of wealth for Kasballica factions.

The crime barons send trusted retainers into the Maw to cultivate Rogue Traders and ensure that a sufficient cut of the Cold Trade flows into their coffers. The Kasballica Mission in Footfall consists of skilled negotiators, ruthless enforcers, and merchants of forbidden goods and services.
If the price is right they can provide, purchase, or arrange transport for almost anything.

"And that is why the Cold Trade is so deadly here on Footfall Echo, it's one of the more practical reasons why I don't practice the Trade"

Hasarian runs a hand through his thick, chest length, black beard.

"I have no idea who they will send though" he goes on "Of course there will be Other Rogue Traders, any number of scum and the more unhinged members of Fottfall's nobility attending the dinner as well"

He pauses

"Now I'm sure that you are wondering why a mere dinner would attract such parties no?" he lets the question hang

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
Desmond will take the bait. "I assume there's fame and fortune to be had aint there? Must be something real valuable to get a collection like that in one place. Not exactly a mere dinner." he grins and enjoys the thought of a dinner like this. "Heck I'm excited all ready."

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
Bane laughs gratingly through his ruined mouth.

"It dosen't matter who they are. What matters is our plan. How are we going to benefit from that little meeting of scum, my lord?" he asks, slowly putting his finger on the Bolt pistol's trigger and applying the gentlest pressure to it.

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Hasarian leans in...

"Tell me you three, have you ever heard of the Seven Witches of Footfall?" he looks at you "No? Well..."

Hasarian adopts the Voice of a storyteller

"Few things scare the hardened scum of Footfall like the Seven Witches: hidden psykers who curse the fates of all that cross them. Few know anything more of the Seven Witches and their servants, but some powerful Rogue Traders have sought them out for council, or so
that they will augur what awaits them in the Expanse.

The witches never leave their inner Sanctum. However, on occasion their silent and implacable guards appear at the Liege’s Court bearing scraps of soiled parchment. These missives contain demands and cryptic warnings of doom the powers of Footfall treat with great seriousness."

Hasarian stops to laugh at the looks on you faces

"I know, sounds silly don't it?" he says getting his laughing fit under control "But I assure you that it's true. The only reason that the Witch Hunters haven't come for them is that they are to far outside the general Imperium to be considered a threat."

He pauses to make sure your watcher is still there...

He goes on

"Remember when I says something inauspicious is about to happen soon? Well this year will mark the first time the Seven have made a pronouncement in three decades to the general public of Footfall" he looks you over once again "There is no way that the dinner is a coincidence, hence why we are going"

His mood is right once again as he leans back in his chair

"As too what the pronouncement will be... well I have no idea!" He says smiling "You never know with the Seven, that's half the fun!"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:18:30 PM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »
"Witches!" Icarus inhales sharply. "We're going to consult renegade psykers? That's asking for trouble m'lord." - he adds in calmer voice, not looking away from the figure dressed in black.

Gneisenau