home

Author Topic: End of the Great War 100 years later  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
End of the Great War 100 years later
« on: November 11, 2018, 05:46:24 AM »
Happy Veterans, Remembrance, Armistice day. It is a shame that the war to end all wars did not infact end all wars. So many lives and indeed generations lost thanks to a terrorist assassinating the Archduke. The dominoes would fall as Serbia, Russia and Austro-Hungary posture at each other while the Kaiser gives A&H a blank check to help them and then goes on vacation.  Brutal new technologies against old timey tactics would cause the Western, the Alps, and the Macedonian fronts to become a blender for all involved.  The Eastern, Middle Eastern, and Colonial fronts would be a different war entirely, causing empires to fall, kings to abdicate, and involve soldiers from all walks of life. Let us not celebrate the war, as the Treaty of Versaille arguable made no one a winner. All the lives were already lost and the stage for the next world war was already being set. Any surviving Empires had to deal with economic, political, and social hardships, and those Empires that didn't survive had it even worse. Yes let us not celebrate the war, but remember the soldiers of all sides who were lumped in to fight a war that could have easily been over at the diplomatic table before a single soldier was mobilized. Lift up a glass for the fallen from that war and all soldiers who fought, helped, were maimed, or died since then. Let us remember their sacrifices, their fears, their courage, and most of all: their lives. Drink for those who already drank their last.
 :::cheers:::

A French boy introduces himself to Indian soldiers who had just arrived in France to fight alongside French and British forces, Marseilles, 30th September 1914

German soldiers marching by somewhere on the Macedonian Front, c. 1916.

Soldiers of an Australian 4th Division field artillery brigade walk on a duckboard track laid across a muddy, shattered battlefield in Chateau Wood, near Hooge, Belgium, on October 29, 1917

German soldiers celebrate Christmas in the field, in December of 1914

Highlanders, soldiers from the United Kingdom, take sandbags up to the front in 1916.

A German dog hospital, treating wounded dispatch dogs coming from the front, ca. 1918.

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: End of the Great War 100 years later
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
The men, walking across the duckboards is well known locally and is usually on the cover of books of the subjects. Its also what usually comes to mind when one mentions the subject. Say 'WW1' to anybody and the image that comes to mind is of men, knee deep in mud, in a trench that is supported by cadavers. The centrepiece of the WW1 exhibit in the Canberra war memorial is that of an A.I.F N.C.O, burying his face in his hands while he sits in a bog.

Lets hope the world doesn't rip itself apart like that again   

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
I am always astonished at seeing pictures of war, and these are no different.  It makes me wonder what the frick am I doing playing at it with miniatures.  Although I some how can't help myself with the painting and playing, and it certainly isn't the same as the real actualities.

May the world live for a better place, where we only have play and good times, relationship in harmony and love.  I'm probably asking for too much.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
I am always astonished at seeing pictures of war, and these are no different.  It makes me wonder what the frick am I doing playing at it with miniatures.  Although I some how can't help myself with the painting and playing, and it certainly isn't the same as the real actualities.

May the world live for a better place, where we only have play and good times, relationship in harmony and love.  I'm probably asking for too much.

Complete agreement👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »
The men, walking across the duckboards is well known locally and is usually on the cover of books of the subjects. Its also what usually comes to mind when one mentions the subject.
I remember seeing it as a kid in my dad's library. He had 2 big books, one fore WW1 and the other for WW2/ He was really into WW2 and I felt like I knew enough of it but hardly anything about WW1 (ah, americans) so I remember flipping through the book which had detailed pictures, maps, and plenty of information. That picture with the men crossing the duckboard always stuck with me.

I am not sure if anyone here keeps up with the youtube channel "The Great War" but they started 4 years ago and did a week by week playback in real time 100 years later of the war. Complete with extra videos covering tactics, equipment, people, events, etc.  Today they posted their last in real time playback but will continue to cover the aftermath and other stuff concerning the great war that they haven't covered yet.  You should check out their armistice episode released today. I've been following the channel since the beginning and although they will continue to release content, it still feels like an end of an era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1ALtQqrVs  :eusa_clap:

and so things don't seem too sullen, here's a fun country ball comic concerning Belgium:
https://i.imgur.com/YoviqtA.png

Its too big to post on here otherwise all the text would be too small to read so I posted a link.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:49:03 PM »
Me and my wife was at the Museum of London when the 2 minutes of silence were held. It was solemn indeed.

I also get so pissed about how best buddies Trump and Putin manage, probably by design to come LATE to the Rememberance ceremony. They just do not care or give a fuck. They are to busy dreaming about having a little war, not to big, but enough to stroke their egoes.

And hearing about how Trump did not want to attend a ceremoy for the US soldiers who died because it RAINED! But soldiers who gets shellchocked are not manly enough to handle it.

But still his fans love him!

Even we swedes sent our acting prime minister to the main ceremony...
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
Me and my wife was at the Museum of London when the 2 minutes of silence were held. It was solemn indeed.

I also get so pissed about how best buddies Trump and Putin manage, probably by design to come LATE to the Rememberance ceremony. They just do not care or give a fuck. They are to busy dreaming about having a little war, not to big, but enough to stroke their egoes.

And hearing about how Trump did not want to attend a ceremoy for the US soldiers who died because it RAINED! But soldiers who gets shellchocked are not manly enough to handle it.

But still his fans love him!

Even we swedes sent our acting prime minister to the main ceremony...

Political science 101; People will ALWAYS defend their candidate, regardless of how they act.

To get back on the subject. I harbour no ill feelings towards any German or Turkish members of this sight AND will shout them a round if they are ever in my neck of the woods

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

This! What a limp noodle braggart. No American president has ever let the weather stop him from attending an important remembrance ceremony, or any other head of state I know of for that matter. Disgraceful.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »

This! What a limp noodle braggart. No American president has ever let the weather stop him from attending an important remembrance ceremony, or any other head of state I know of for that matter. Disgraceful.

Well, that is just the media-spin, so utterly misleading that it becomes a lie. There is good reason not to believe anything Trump says without checking - the same is true about the media. The truth of the matter is that because of the rain the presidential helicopter could not fly - a call made by the Secret Service. The alternative would have been driving there by car (or rather a major motorcade) from the US Embassy in the centre of Paris to the cemetery, which is about 90 km away. Compared to oher heads of states (and I know this from first hand experience), the security requirements of the US president are on a completely different level. It would have exacerbated the already existing traffic jam in Paris, without any certainty that he would have been there in time anyway. It is not too difficult to imagine the media spin on that one. 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
My understanding is the same as Fidelis.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 10:27:24 PM »
Can you guys take that crap to the BT please? Thanks.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
Look at the one of the troops, celebrating the Christmas truce. There is a strong chance the war could have ended early if those bone-headed generals didn't order the troops to stop fraternising with the enemy.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »

Cameron Highlanders in 1914.
Then a doctored photo to show how many were "parade ready" in 1918 (ie, not dead or injured).

I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
Lovely.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 04:56:54 AM »
Those highlanders might be 'parade' ready but most if not all of them could be mentally damaged, depending on what they did and saw.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
Yep.  And with it being a "doctored" photo, perhaps is is just meant to be representational.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »
Yes it is just a representation. But what Rowsdower is saying, is just because they are physically fit, the number is likely smaller due to PTSD type affects because those are much harder to detect.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Yep. ...
I get it.  PTSD is such a bummer, and are in essence casualties of war, too.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
I hate to bring it up but being punched in the face pretty badly gave me acute PTSD. I'd hate to think what being on the receiving end of gunfire, mortar shells or being inside one of those early tanks was like. And those halfwit generals at the time accused men who suffered from it as being 'cowards' and shot them.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »
The above reminds me of a British tanker in the ‘Cauldron’ in North Africa. I could have the previce details wrong as to location but the interesting part as they were in a dust bowl,  the tank took 3 duds in the drivers hull part. It was too much for the driver who bailed and ran off into the dust. After the war was over, the tank commander happened to be walking by the very court martial of this guy who was taken prisoner as it turns out. The commander stopped, introduced himself and entered his first hand experience of the situation and it stopped the court martial. This happened back in England so a lot of things had to line up for that to happen 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »
Peter Jackson is restoring ol WW1 footage. Looks good!
https://i.imgur.com/0Px1WUk.gifv
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »
That is a wow!  Thanks for posting it. :::cheers:::

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
they showed this on the bbc on the centenary. it was very touching.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »
Peter Jackson is restoring ol WW1 footage. Looks good!
https://i.imgur.com/0Px1WUk.gifv

YES, I cant wait to see this
Yes I'm dyslexic so what