home

Author Topic: Skaven Overview  (Read 10467 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 04:45:16 PM »
I think the way to use Rat Ogres are as DOW Ogres.  That way they have some semblance of reliability.  Thoughts?  I know this is an Empire forum, but I like the models as well.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline EC.Sylvania

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2004, 05:21:14 PM »
Well, first off I agree that they are poor points-wise. That being said, I still think they can and should be taken in fluffy armies. Not every general wants to min-max itself. Some of them like to play with themes too. Alas, Rat Ogres are pretty much theme only options.

For min-max players I think that is a great idea to use the DOW Ogre/Rat Ogre swap for a rare slot. Think of them as creme de la creme creations that their twisted vermin creators must be especially proud of. Heck, they don't need to be wiped/electro-prodded in the right direction!

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2004, 07:49:30 PM »
I'm too much of a fluffbunny to ever take that option.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2004, 08:16:15 PM »
I don't know why it would be anti-fluff bunny, except if the rest of your list is min/maxed.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2004, 08:32:02 PM »
taking Rat Oges as Ogres?  Nope, couldn't do it.  WISYWIG issues, among others.   :x

(great place for the "shaking head" emoticon.)

Offline Veskit

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2004, 09:23:05 PM »
I have to agree with Queek, in fact I am taking Rat Ogres myself and trying to find a way to make them work (not much success so far tho...)

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2004, 03:56:33 PM »
Veskit, the one option that I"ve had some limited success with is to use a two pack as a flanker for a big RatPack with a Master Moulder in it.  The RatPack supplies the ranks, the Rat Ogres hopefully can crack ranks and do a wound or two, and the Master Moulder Psychology re-roll has a prayer of keeping the ROs in the game.

Offline John Snape

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2004, 10:31:24 AM »
Having just "acquired" a Skaven army from a friend, I know too well it's strengths and weaknesses.

When the Skaven work, they work well. When they don't work, its painful for the rats.

How true  :roll: I used them at Portsmouth last weekend, and in my 2nd game I lost to the guy that came last overall (his only win was agaisnt me  :oops: )  To be fair it was a good game, even if Plauge killed 90% of my own army, and the Rattling killed killed the last 10%  :(

I play a very (IMHO) balanced list, but I can see where the power comes from. The magic and the shooting are the only 2 things that really do any real damage, other than that it's CR.

Giant Rat Packs have become my best friend, they are just way better than thier stat lines. Speed, a good number of attacks, and cheap points cost, just make these boys my fav unit. I am now thinking of getting more Moudler units so I can have a horde Giant Rat army  :twisted:
Do not underestimate Giant Rats, if you do you will lose  :x

However, talking aobut Moulder brings me on to the Rat Ogre's  :(

I have been trying out units of 1, used in 2 ways.
* The first is to stick in front of a unit at an angle so they must charge the RO or not move, which I then flee and hoefully set up a flank counter-charge.
* The 2nd way is to go war-machine hunting with the Giant Rats. The RO normally dies (for some reason the perfer to be charged by ranked up unit  :?: ) but that leaved the RP alone. Or just the threat of 12" moving units means they send a ot of points thier way to stop me. Either way it's normally a win-win situation for me.

The biggest weakness is if the Pack Master dies, as it's 50% casulties and therefore a Ld 5 Panic check  :-x , which as you can guess the RO run's with little chance to rally.

I have been using 2 units of ONE for about 7 games now, and even though they have died every time (100vp's) I think they are worth it if you can use them right. Heck - Life is Cheap, even a 50pt Rat Ogre  :lol:

John

Offline John Snape

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2004, 10:36:35 AM »
Ps. My current list :-

1 Grey Seer, Dispel Scroll, Warp Stone Charm

1 Assassin, Warpstone Stars
Watch your oppenats face when his Giant/Shaggoth/etc dies in 1 turn of shooting  :lol:

1 Warlock Engineer, Accumilator, Condenser, & Warp Blades, Dispel Scroll

1 Chieftan - Heavy Armour and Shield - Twisted Crown of the Horned Rat

25 Clanrat Slaves, Champion + Musician

24 Clanrat, Full Command
Rattling Gun

24 Clanrats, Full Command
Warp Fire Thrower

24 Storm Vermin, Shields, Full Command, War Banner

18 Giant Rat Pack
3 Pack Masters

18 Giant Rat Pack
3 Pack Masters

3 Rat Swarms

6 Warplock Jezzails

1 Rat Orgre

1 Rat Orgre

3 Gutter Runners "Tunneling Team", Poisoned Hand Weapons

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2004, 12:42:31 PM »
John, thanks for coming to our forum.  Comments should be Empire centric please, again welcome.  You may want to try over at:  http://s6.invisionfree.com/The_UnderEmpire/index.php? if you want Skaven feedback.

Offline John Snape

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2004, 06:36:01 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't trying to get Skaven feedback, but to give people an idea on what's good / bad about the skaven using my own experience. In addition to demostrat the dirsty underhanded tactics of the rat.
The list was to show a balanced list and what you might expect to face in a friendly game.

I also have Empire and I used to have trouble beating the rat  :-x

Cheers

John

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2004, 12:00:19 PM »
I write a bunch of these articles and I have trouble beating the rat!!!

Offline John Snape

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 03:29:28 PM »
I normally find that 2 Cannon's & a Mortar, and 4 dispel Scrolls, fixes 90% of my problems with Skaven  :lol:

Offline cwalker

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2004, 07:46:37 PM »
Don't you have to have two units of Clanrats before you can take two units of anything else?

You have two units of Slaves but only one unit of Clanrats.

I also don't think you can put Ratling Guns with Slaves.

I think you, by accident, put down two Slave Units and only one Clanrat unit.
Kill, Kill!!

Offline John Snape

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2004, 07:37:32 AM »
Quote from: cwalker
I think you, by accident, put down two Slave Units and only one Clanrat unit.
That's excatly what I did, the 2nd Slave unit was actaully a clanrat unit. The above has been edited.

Damm you "copy & paste", damm you to hell  :evil:

John

Offline Kaz

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »
Hehe, a little note form a beginning skaven player :D these articles are not only useful for the empire players, but also for us traitors which has little chance to get to play against empire before a tournament ;)

Gives a good insight in what the empire player can do to stop me, and thus also a good idea of ham to counter his counter :D
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2004, 09:08:24 AM »
Quote from: Kaz
Hehe, a little note form a beginning skaven player

Et tu, Kaz? :roll:

Every time someone starts a skaven army, an angel dies. :crybaby:

Still, at least you're not playing demon bloody legion like every other bastard...
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Kaz

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2004, 09:49:43 AM »
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
Quote from: Kaz
Hehe, a little note form a beginning skaven player

Et tu, Kaz? :roll:

Every time someone starts a skaven army, an angel dies. :crybaby:

Still, at least you're not playing demon bloody legion like every other bastard...

I'm not really STARTING a skaven army, I'm more than busy enough with my chaos "mortal" (at least the general is mortal). But I need a break from my lizards and empire, so I'm using a friends skaven army for our local tournament in about a month. I guess I will use them at this ONE tournament, and never play rats againt.
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2004, 10:36:32 AM »
I hate tunnelling teams and skirmishing swarms.  I would rather face the magic and shooting than tunneling teams and swarms.

Offline Mutator

• Members
Skaven Overview
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2004, 11:16:42 PM »
A few different versions of ways to use rat ogres are posted here: http://s6.invisionfree.com/The_UnderEmpire/index.php?showforum=2

Generally though, a few die hards maintain they *can* be used, the rest of us agree with Queek and co. - cool models, but useless on the pitch (so we sub them into clanrat units as 4-rat space-fillers instead ;))
Mostly Harmless