home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...  (Read 47034 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »
I'll be finishing up December 2018 first, although for those who want to get a jump start on January and beyond ...

- - -

From the 2018 thread:

Here's how it works ...

Each month, anyone who is interested in the challenge, puts up what their painting or scenery goal is for the month or both, whatever a person wants to aim to complete by the end of the month.  The goals get tallied and as a person finishes a goal or more, they report back in here to let us know.  The goals that are completed are bolded, and we keep moving on from one month to the next, ideally with new goals each month.

Pictures are not a necessity, although welcome, and instead just self-accountability through sharing the journey with others.  Sometimes folks sit out a month or two if life gets too crazy, but we keep coming back and creating and making the effort to complete things that help make the hobby so enjoyable.  Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't, attempting to not over commit, and we hang together in accomplishing much that we might not otherwise get done over the current year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 02:43:33 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »
I'm participating in the second Old World Army Challenge starting in January. I will be painting a small Sea Elf contingent. The challenge is 200 points based on 3rd or 4th ed. lists (I'm doing 3rd) per month for 6 months. There is one ”free” month, so 5 months of painting means we each end up with an approx. 1000 pt. army at the end.

For January I have prepped 10 archers and 5 seekers (scouts).

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »
I'll try and do those Sartosan Pirates I mentioned earlier - the ones who got put to one side for the light horsemen. They're glued, converted and undercoated, so I'm quite a ways in!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
I have a bit of an eclectic mix of stuff to work on. So my goal is going to be two space marines, 3 stormcasts and two nighthaunt guys.

Maybe if I find time I'll try basecoating my new Blackstone Fortress stuff. Depends strongly on the weather.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Let's try and keep some momentum going

Goal 1 - 16 Orcs w Great Weapons
Goal 2 - something Undead for the Carpe Noctem painting contest
Goal 3 - 10 Orc Archers
Goal 4 - 5 Trolls

I put the Undead second because the deadline is very early in February

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »
Hmm January goal, at least it's not to paint horses..
Most likely it will be to finish either 12 teutogen guards or 12 greatswords plus some additional dwarfs/halflings to put into the spearmen unit and other units. Also one goal is to find a mm41 ogre (the one with the 2 handed sword in the ground) for a reasonable price. Might also start on my ostlanders for mordheim.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
The local GW store is holding a Legions of Legend event over the next few months (basically painting a few units etc. every fortnight and none of their dates fall at the end of the month. Due to a few problems I couldn’t enter last year’s event and I might have to resort to using some of that events un-entered units.  One way or another targets for January should be:-

12 Jan a Unit
26 Jan a Leader
2 Feb a Space Marine Hero

I still owe my friend a few space marines which he understands will get done eventually but probably not this month.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:53:32 PM »
Goal Number One met for me... though you'll see here how adding command to my units has made them all funny sizes and I may have to hunt down, buy and paint more miniatures to correct this...

I've made a start on the Trolls for Goal 4 while I wait for a nice day to undercoat the Undead for Goal 2 - I think I can work on them all at once, whereas the Orcs take up more room on my table.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
Sartosans postponed, I've got the interior of a cathedral to do ... WIP

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
So, that shitload of miniatures I'm supposed to paint for a tourney that's a month and a half away  :icon_redface:

Crossbowmen and huntsmen are done, save for basing, which I don't have the hobby supplies for at the moment. That, and some heraldry on the banner, but I count that as an optional extra, and something I'll likely do in one go for a whole lot of units at once anyway.

As I said in the last thread, I expected to just do a quick rehabilitation job on the huntsmen, but I got carried away and took it a bit further. Crappy photo doesn't quite do them justice.

Then, gryphknights. Since I haven't painted any before, I decided to do one ready prototype before painting any further:

That leaves me at 5 more gryphknights, 50 halberdiers and 2 rocket batteries to go. I think I will do the remaining gryphknights first, now that I got the hang of painting them, for the sake of maximum assembly line. Halberdiers can be left last, as I can better get away with playing them unfinished, they should still count as painted, even if not up to my usual tabletop standard. Let's hope it won't come to that.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
Start of January 2019 Tally ...

023 ... 10 sea elf archers and 5 seekers (scouts).
Padre ... interior of cathedral
Gankom ...2 space marines, 3 stormcasts and two nighthaunt guys.
Shadespyre ... 16 Orcs w Great Weapons, something Undead for painting contest, 10 Orc Archers, 5 Trolls.
Irishzero ... finish 12 teutogen guards or 12 greatswords, some dwarfs/halflings for spearmen unit, find ogre with 2 handed sword.
JAK ... a Unit, a Leader, a Space Marine Hero.
Konrad ... 5 more gryphknights, 50 halberdiers and 2 rocket batteries.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
Oh man Padre, the interior of that cathedral is going to look spectacular!

I'm almost finished my marines and stormcast. Just have to make some time to sit down and actually full out finish them.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
I love this thread! Already we have Konrad painting an army at one sitting, and then Padre posts, "BRB, building a cathedral".  :eusa_clap:

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
I just filed the ends of 22 bits of steel rod to prepare them for having 6th edition halberd heads attached to them. Tedious work, I had to amuse myself by watching the super extended director's cut of The Unknown Soldier (almost 5 hours long) while doing it. Going to do some serial production on 5 gryphknights next, start off by drybrushing steel.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
I use power tools (small ones, obviously) for that sort of job. Takes minutes  :wink:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »
I just filed the ends of 22 bits of steel rod to prepare them for having 6th edition halberd heads attached to them. Tedious work, I had to amuse myself by watching the super extended director's cut of The Unknown Soldier (almost 5 hours long) while doing it. Going to do some serial production on 5 gryphknights next, start off by drybrushing steel.

Is that referring to guy sajer in the unknown soldier? What film and when was that done if it is? One of my favourite books.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 07:08:05 AM »
Ok, I hope this will encourage me to paint more and keeps the unpainted mini's in check...
My goal for this January:
  • Finish my Old Orlock Gang (8 miniatures)
  • Finish an dryad
  • Finish an 2 halfling archers

It isn't much, but it will be a good start of the year if those are all done.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Updating ...

Start of January 2019 Tally

Padre ... interior of cathedral.
Gankom ... 2 space marines, 3 stormcasts and two nighthaunt guys.
Shadespyre ... 16 Orcs w Great Weapons, something Undead for painting contest, 10 Orc Archers, 5 Trolls.
Irishzero ... finish 12 teutogen guards or 12 greatswords, some dwarfs/halflings for spearmen unit, find ogre with 2 handed sword.
Konrad ... 5 more gryphknights, 50 halberdiers, and 2 rocket batteries.
Novogord ... finish 8 Old Orlock Gang, 1 dryad, and 2 halfling archers

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »

Is that referring to guy sajer in the unknown soldier? What film and when was that done if it is? One of my favourite books.

Come to think of it, there exists probably a number of similarly named works. This one is unrelated to Sajer but about much the same, life on the WW2 Eastern Front, written by a Finnish veteran. The film is a very recent (2017) big-budget production (by Finnish standards anyway), a semi-remake of an old movie classic that gets shown on national TV every year on independence day. The film manages to portray war (both in and out of combat) in a gritty realistic way and how it affects those fighting it, but at times it felt like a series of impressions without proper story coherence. It doesn't deliver on character development as much as it could have, even though it adds scenes about the characters' home life that weren't even in the original book. With a few notable exceptions though. That's why, all in all, I'd rate the film as good but not great.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 01:12:21 AM »
Long time lurker, new member as of today.

My Jan goals are 12 Dryands and 8 Hearth Guard (for Saga). Plus finishing at least one CFM mdf building.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
Welcome, it's nice to see new people joining in!  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 06:43:23 PM »
Welcome BorderGuy! :::cheers:::

Updating ...

Start of January 2019 Tally

Padre ... interior of cathedral.
Gankom ... 2 space marines, 3 stormcasts and two nighthaunt guys.
Konrad ... 5 more gryphknights, 50 halberdiers, and 2 rocket batteries.
Novogord ... finish 8 Old Orlock Gang, 1 dryad, and 2 halfling archers
Borderguy ... 12 Dryands, 8 Hearth Guard, finish 1 CFM mdf building.

(Completed items bolded.)

I might be going with an mdf building as well, but we'll see.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 08:21:26 PM »
Did I mention that I'm in the middle of an apartment move? That just happened, some sudden and unexpected developments.

The five griffon knights have been drybrushed steel, and the leonine parts of the mounts' bodies have been painted, washed, highlighted and drybrushed. I'd say I'm about halfway done with them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Well I've been a bit motivated to attack some projects these last couple of days.

I went through a box of older Empire figures and sorted them into some plastic trays for creating some units.

I also bought some craft store paints for painting my first MDF building that I'm going to put together.  I've been collecting some of these kits over time, and it is about time to start making some of them.

Going to break out my Late Achaemenid Persians to work on an Impetus army for use in an upcoming mini-tourney in May.

And of course there are the 6 mounted crossbowmen ... lol. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
Popped the parts for a small MDF building out of their frame and then primed them black in the hallway.  Working on personal and professional responsibilities, although hope to do some painting before the evening is through.