Warhammer-Empire.com

Imperial Artisans => The Imperial Office => Topic started by: Inarticulate on April 01, 2009, 03:13:44 PM

Title: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 01, 2009, 03:13:44 PM
This is a short narrative linked to the Solland Effort of 2524. It is based around the repercussions of the rebellion on the neighboring kingdoms. I didn't want to put it in the Solland thread as I didn't want to clutter it. 

Northern Border Princes, Spring IC 2524.

Luitpold von Jurgen looked down from the rise at the small hamlet. On the edge of the forest, it had obviously been built around a logging camp. Its people could be seen on their daily business and in the distance the mercenary could make out the vast piles of timber stacked ready for shipment.

His cavalry force had been riding for several weeks now, leaving Domžale as soon as spring came to the black mountains. They’d been moving quietly, avoiding contact which would raise suspicion and this would be the first action of the raiding campaign.

Luitpold turned to his second, Béla Kinizi, a young nobleman with a thin, beardless face native to the Border Princes. “I’d say about 40 souls. Same tactic as always. You lead the second group, I’ll take the loggers”. With these brief words, the Captain spurred his horse across the hill towards the distant treeline, knowing the rest of his 50 man raiding force would do their jobs.

The purpose of this first group was to neutralise the fighting men of the settlement, in this case the loggers themselves, Luitpold had no qualms killing anyone that got in his way. Bela’s group was to round up and contain the rest of the people, and start looting the houses. One last group was equipped with pottery jars full of flammable oils and burning torches – they were to burn the timber and drive the trace horses away.
As his men were approaching the tree line, a keen-eyed logger cried out as he saw the heavy lancers charging towards them, their hooves drumming a tattoo on the dusty ground. The camp was in chaos now, men running in every direction to escape the charge of the mercenary force. A few stout loggers hefted their hatchets and prepared to take the charge, these stalwart men were heavily muscled, thick beards growing from their chins yet they were no match for the lancers. Luitpold set his lance in the crook of his arm, aiming it at the chest of a broad logger with a massive, curved axe. In the last few moments before impact Luitpold could see the man’s face twist into a snarl and the captain felt a flicker of respect for this man – it was said the inhabitants were descended from Norsemen, and in this man Luitpold could believe this rumour.

His lance impacted into the giant’s broad chest, spearing through his ribcage and glancing from his spine. Blood spurted from his mouth and sprayed the captain’s arm with the crimson lifeblood.  The logger was lifted from his feet with the impact of the charge, Luitpold’s lance snapping in the centre, the man’s body being crushed under the iron-shod hooves of the lancers.

Luitpold cursed and threw the broken weapon to the ground, drawing his sword. That would be more money he had to spend on a new one. He quickly surveyed the scene, the few men that had held weapons were on the floor, dying with no loss to his riders. The rest of the loggers were now surrounded around the foreman’s hut, their arms up, surrendering to his men.

At this point, the smaller fire group came riding from the storing area, leading scores of trace horses. Dark plumes of smoke was rising from the burning timber, Luitpold knew he had to act fast from now on, getting his men out of here.

The Captain signalled to the majority of his men to guard the prisoners, riding back to the hamlet with five of his riders. Béla greeted him as he rode into the main street, the populace was under guard in the Sigmarite Chapel and the mercenary lancers were busy looting the town of valuables.

“Sergeant, get ready to move out. The fire team are on their way to burn the houses, any casualties?”
“Yes, Hans Gröber was careless, the big blacksmith got him”. Replied the Sergeant, pointing at the body of a burly smith worker lying in a pool of blood against a wall.

“Sling him on a horse, we’ll take Hans with us” ordered Luitpold, not a hint of emotion on his face.
Béla mounted his horse, calling for his men to get ready. His lancers rushing to their horses as the fires started to spread across the hamlet. The column walked their horses out of the settlement leaving devastation in their wake, the fire group joining the rear of the column leading the stolen horses.

The raid had gone perfectly. Mortensholm’s main import was timber and more actions like this would surely weaken the northern town. Yes, Don Matthias will be pleased at this result.

Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 01, 2009, 04:25:29 PM
Great little story!  Messaged you in regards to it  :icon_mrgreen:
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 02, 2009, 12:18:55 AM
Very good story. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Don't know if you actually played this raid as a small warhammer scenario or not, but there is a scenario used during the Crisis in Marienburg Campaign that could be used for this kind of thing.  I'll actually be using it for some of the activities that my Averland mercenary will be doing, and those involved with the Solland event are also actually playing games, taking the results, and turning them into stories like this as well.  I've already got one such game down a few weeks back, one lined up for the weekend, and other's planned.  Uryens and Padre will very likely even be playing at least one if not more against each other, which will very likely make it to here as one of Padre's picture stories.

By the way, there is quite a bit still moving forward behind the scenes of what you see on the Ex-Solland thread at the moment, but stay tuned, because we will be getting some more stuff up on that thread, and we might include you and your character(s) on one of the lists as well.

We are already enjoying having you on board with this event. :icon_biggrin:
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 02, 2009, 12:22:11 AM
Also ... it might make sense to have all your stories in the one thread where the rest fo your fluff is located.  An admin for this site can move these posts there for you (and might anyway) because this is how these types of things are often conducted on W-E.  (And an Admin can feel free to eliminat this post here, too.) :icon_cool:
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Warlord on April 02, 2009, 01:42:16 AM
Also ... it might make sense to have all your stories in the one thread where the rest fo your fluff is located.  An admin for this site can move these posts there for you (and might anyway) because this is how these types of things are often conducted on W-E.  (And an Admin can feel free to eliminat this post here, too.) :icon_cool:

Thats really up to inarticulate...
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Karl Voss of Averland on April 02, 2009, 02:06:21 AM
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/JustaGuy778/puppy-eyes-nov-05.gif)

 :happy:
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 02, 2009, 02:33:36 AM
Also ... it might make sense to have all your stories in the one thread where the rest of your fluff is located.  An admin for this site can move these posts there for you (and might anyway) because this is how these types of things are often conducted on W-E.  (And an Admin can feel free to eliminate this post here, too.) :icon_cool:
Thats really up to inarticulate...
Works for me, thanks. :icon_cool:
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 02, 2009, 04:57:02 AM
Author's Note: I discussed responding to this story, and interacting with inarticulate's army via this thread, earlier in a PM, and so am posting my army's interactions with his here.  In the event he wants this merged with his other fluff, I trust you'll figure out a suitable way of moving mine with it?

Johann watched the smoke rising from the burning lumber yard, the few hovels and cottages smoldering as the fires worked their way through the easily incinerated wood and hay.  He wasn't sure if the prisoners had been taken with the raiders, or just the horses.  It didn't matter either way; he had been safe in his hiding spot in the boughs of a tree just at the edge of the treeline, and hopped to the ground once he was quite certain the raiders were gone and not coming back any time soon.  He made his way further into the forest, and found his horse, riding east as fast as the light mount could carry him.

Arathos and Brimcon met with the scout when he returned, and were a bit surprised by his news.  Something was definately up in the West, and a meeting of the Seven Strangers was called in response to it.  In Arathos' war room, a table with seven chairs around it (three to either side, with one at the head of the table and the opposite end facing the door) were the only furnishings.  The tabletop was an engraved map of the Border Princes, with movable pieces to denote the ever-changing borders and positions of known settlements, armies, and other things that warranted watching.  Arathos sat at the head of the table, with Kelyddon and Maialen to his left and right, respectively.  Next to them sat Brimcon and Feldon, and finally Eathelyn and Erberk.  Johann stood at the foot of the table, opposite Arathos, and recalled the events he had witnessed.  After he finished his story, Arathos mused for a moment.  "You're certain these men are in the employ of Domžale, and Don Matthias?"  Johann nodded soberly.
     "Brimcon sent six of us to watch Domžale when word of their mustering was received.  I personally saw these men ride out from the land, and into this hamlet.  They are men under the employ of the Black Company, I would stake my life upon it."  Arathos nodded, and rose from his seat.
     "Thank you, Johann.  You may go."  The man gave a salute, which Arathos dismissed before he departed.  The general then sighed, and took a seat.  "Well, there we have it.  Don Matthias is on the warpath, and clearly is moving at targets to the north of him.  So, what do we do?"
     "If I may, General," Feldon began, not truly waiting for an answer.  The Seven were very much equals in one anothers' eyes, and deference to the General was more a show of respect than true subordination.  "These lands, to the West, they are outside our borders, are they not?  I don't see why we should concern ourselves overmuch with what happens there."
     "I did not think you would," Eathelyn replied, showing a bit of distaste for his words.  "You are not concerned about the lives of innocents being lost, and their property destroyed?  Don't answer that, Feldon.  I think we know what you would say about it."  Maia shot a disapproving glance at her; the tension between Eathelyn and Feldon often bubbled close to the surface, and she did her best to curb it when she noticed it.
     "I don't show concern for strangers; we have people here who need us, and our protection.  Moreover, we have our obligations to them.  Should we really risk the lives of our soldiers, and harm our ability to protect those in our charge, for people that lay beyond our borders?" he countered.
     "We don't really have borders, as I understand them Uncle," Kelyddon leaned forward to look down the table at Feldon.  "We're not a...well, any sort of feudal realm, or merchant rulers.  We're just enforcers, protectors.  We uphold the law, and protect those who need us.  Isn't this as much our concern as anything?"  There were a few nods, but Erberk coughed and straightened in his chair, a sure sign he had decided to speak next.
     "Ye can nae police the entire world, lad.  We may be out to provide justice where naught's to be found, but we have to stay within our limits.  Do we have the troops to fight both the Black Company, and those Black Spear Orcs if they come back this summer?"  Erberk looked to Arathos for an answer to the last question, though as Marshal of the Infantry Erberk prided himself on already knowing the answer.  Arathos, for his part, did not answer immediately.  He stood up, and walked around the table, looking at the map.  Maialen took advantage of the silence to speak her mind.
     "I think we're all jumping to conclusions," she began, "in assuming this will come to bloodshed.  We all know how dangerous things looked when we dealt with Hallenburg two years ago.  They had a sizable militia and had even put up a wooden palisade around the hamlet, yet we managed to absorb their entire force and work with the village without a single drop of blood being spilled in the process.  There is something going on, but we should find out what, precisely."
     "What if he attacks more villages while we try to talk with him?"  Kelyddon asked.
     "Then he attacks," Arathos answered before Maialen could.  "I agree we must speak with him immediately; I'll go, along with Erberk and Maialen.  We'll speak with this Don Matthias, find out what we can, and see if we can handle this peaceably."
     "That may not be enough, General," Brimcon interjected, speaking for the first time in the conversation.  "My scouts are saying he looks ready to move, in any direction.  He could just as easily be headed our way as north."  The room was quiet a moment, then Arathos reached for some of the pieces on the table that represented troops in the Legion.
     "We'll send the Sentinels to patrol the western edge of our, we'll say protected lands.  The nearest town to Domžale is Marheim, and we can station two units of infantry there, with handgunner detachments, to make sure any attack is at least forced to slow, or even halt for a time.  We don't have a great deal of soldiers to spare, but a show of force and patrols will hopefully convince the Don that, if he is out for war, that easier pickings lay elsewhere.  Any questions?"  The room was silent, and Arathos nodded.  "Very well; you are all dismissed.  We will leave for Domžale tommorow; the rest of you return to your duties."
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 02, 2009, 08:46:12 AM
I have to say, Inarticulate and Toro-Blanco, this is all excellent fluff/stuff! It's great to see that the Solland effort has encouraged players/writers to explore what's going on in the Border Princes too.

When I get time I will try to pm you guys about Mortensholm and Graf Edric, then maybe I can come up with some stuff that fits yours. I need first to read more closely and properly absorb the background you put up before these two peices, otherwise I could mess things up.
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 02, 2009, 09:34:05 AM
 :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Good stuff guys, very well written.
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 02, 2009, 11:29:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys and the for the escalation of the story, Toro_Blanco! I'll see if i can do something more before your envoys reach my town.

Also ... it might make sense to have all your stories in the one thread where the rest fo your fluff is located.  An admin for this site can move these posts there for you (and might anyway) because this is how these types of things are often conducted on W-E.  (And an Admin can feel free to eliminat this post here, too.) :icon_cool:

Sorry, I can if you want stick these pieces in the Solland thread, but I didn't want to disrupt the 'planning' flow you have on there, as us in the Borderlands aren't directly influencing in the Solland effort (yet) and are basically a side-story I felt it would be good to put it in a separate thread.

Don't know if you actually played this raid as a small warhammer scenario or not,

Yup 500pt Skirmish between my all cavalry force and a guy's Marauder Warband (I thought it'd be close enough) I can write a Batrep if you want. I changed some of the details to make it fit into the scene i wanted.

We are already enjoying having you on board with this event. :icon_biggrin:

Why thankyou, I'm enjoying the campaign immensely.

Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 02, 2009, 12:06:16 PM
Another short story to represent the early territorial gains my King is making in the central Border Princes

The Town of Moslac, Central Border Princes IC 2524.

Thomas Viteč, brother to the Don, dropped down from the stagecoach door, his long legs swiftly walking the few short steps to the door of the meeting house. It was a simple design, like much in this town, one storey and covered in white plaster, terracotta tiles on the roof. Behind him, two servants struggled with a heavy chest.

As Thomas approached the door, it opened, an old militiaman beckoning them inside. The smell of woodsmoke assailed the Captain as he entered the dingy atmosphere. He walked towards the waiting Elders of the town, one he knew as Ladislaus, a politicking fool. He shall be easily swayed, thought Thomas.

“What are you to do here foreigner?” spoke out Ladislaus.

“I come with the compliments of my lord, good Elders. And a gift of gratitude.” The servants carried the chest forward, placing it on the ground before the assembled town leaders. The lid snapped open revealing a small fortune in gold and silver.

At this sight, many of the old men sat up straighter in their seats, greed in their eyes. Thomas chuckled at this, stomping down on the chest with one large foot, closing off the view of the money.

“Of course, we want something in return...” said Thomas silkily.

“That would be?” enquired Ladislaus, his eyes still on the box.

“My Lord has bestowed the opportunity for your town to be under his protection. Who knows what perils are out there?”

“Pah, you seek to steal the town from under our noses?” replied a man from the far right side.

Thomas turned to this man; he was younger than the rest and fiery. “Steal? My good man, nothing but! I am merely suggesting that your citizens enjoy being safe from marauding bands of Greenskins and your petty neighbours who do not have the morals like my Lord.”

The man made to rebuke, but Ladislaus put up his hand, silencing his fellow. “And if we refuse your... kind offer?”

“Then the Don will be forced to take your town by force. He has one thousand men across the river, ready to move.” Replied Thomas, staring Ladislaus down. The Moslacan looked away.

“I will have to speak to my companions, to discuss this offer.”

“Very well, you have three hours.” With that Thomas turned his back on the assembled elders, his servants picking up the chest once more ad they made their way to the door. Thomas had no doubt Ladislaus would cave, the fool had no stomach for fighting. A smile spread across his features as he thought of the seventy-five men he had brought with him, camped across the river.

Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 02, 2009, 05:35:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys and the for the escalation of the story, Toro_Blanco! I'll see if i can do something more before your envoys reach my town.
Yes, I echo Padre's enthusiasm over how the Solland Effort is serving as a catalyst for more folks to expand into the Border Princes with such games and stories! :::cheers:::

We can all thank Capt. Gerntass for having included the Border Princes in some of initial Solland fluff, and from this it is only natural that events in one part of the world could trigger other events in other locations. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Quote
Also ... it might make sense to have all your stories in the one thread where the rest fo your fluff is located.  An admin for this site can move these posts there for you (and might anyway) because this is how these types of things are often conducted on W-E.  (And an Admin can feel free to eliminat this post here, too.) :icon_cool:
Sorry, I can if you want stick these pieces in the Solland thread, but I didn't want to disrupt the 'planning' flow you have on there, as us in the Borderlands aren't directly influencing in the Solland effort (yet) and are basically a side-story I felt it would be good to put it in a separate thread.
Actually, I could see it go either way.  The mountains are certainly enough of a barrier to keep the threads seperate.  My only suggestion at the moment would be to change the title of the thread so that it is more encompassing and we don't end up with multiple Border Prince threads.  Perhaps something more along the lines of "The Border Princes, 2425 (Linked to the Solland Effort)".  Then folks can have their own individual fluff threads, but everyone can write stories in here about what is happening in the Border Prince region as well. :icon_cool:

Also, if we keep all the Border Prince stories in one thread it will be easier for everyone involved to keep track of what's happening here, while at the same time we are running what's happening in the Ex-Solland thread.  But having too many threads could make things difficult for us to stay up with and potentially risk losing some focus.

By the way, I've been using some minor characters in other campaigns that are associated with Matorea, and I might at some point even contribute something here, too. :icon_wink:

Quote
Don't know if you actually played this raid as a small warhammer scenario or not,
Yup 500pt Skirmish between my all cavalry force and a guy's Marauder Warband (I thought it'd be close enough) I can write a Batrep if you want. I changed some of the details to make it fit into the scene i wanted.
Sounds super!  From my view, this hobby is about gaming, modeling, and story telling, and the Solland Effort is designed to do more of what we love doing, and have all three aspects work together in contributing to the over all enjoyment.  And without some of the time pressure associated with the shorter, yet also fun, internet campaign games.  :::cheers:::
Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Captain Gerntass on April 02, 2009, 06:05:50 PM

Quote
We can all thank Capt. Gerntass for having included the Border Princes in some of initial Solland fluff, and from this it is only natural that events in one part of the world could trigger other events in other locations. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:
Quote

  :-)well thank ye all, I take my hat off to ye.
But I couldn't take all the praise, I only started the solland thread, the actual campaign belongs to the brainchilds GamesPoet and Uryens de Crux, they are the heart and brain of it all.
So a special thanks to you two, and to all the others that have taken an interest and expanded to give it new life to go with the old.

 :::cheers:::

Title: Re: A Preemptive strike. (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 02, 2009, 06:12:38 PM
The Town Of Marheim, Central Border Princes, IC 2524

The small town was not, by any stretch, a potent and defensible spot, but it would hold well against most attacks.  The Dawnstriders had aided the villagers in raising a wooden palisade around the town's perimeter, guarding the houses and town hall.  The fields and pastures were outside the walls, meaning that in the even of an attack or a raid, the crops and livestock were likely to be destroyed.  This did not concern Oberst Karl Haufman, who was in charge of the town's guard (a group of about 20 soldiers stationed in the town at all times).  Their duty was to lock the palisade's gate, arm the villagers, and hold out until the greater body of the Dawnstrider Legion could arrive to break the seige.  He was therefore very surprised to begin his usual walk around the palisade (checking the timbers for signs of rotting or weakness) and spot the banner of the General himself cresting the horizon, along with two entire units of infantry and handgunners following behind them.  Spearheads glittered in the sunlight, and the tramp of boots was audible in the quiet morning air.  He rushed over to the general on horseback, and offered a quick salute.  "General, sir!  What's going on?"  The general halted, but the infantry moved on towards the town.
     "We've got trouble coming, Oberst.  I've dispatched these men to handle the defense of your town, for the time being.  I'll be needing a coach, if you have one; a pair of good horses stocked with supplies if you don't."  The Oberst nodded, and went off to handle the demands, a bit worried that so much was happening this early in the year.  Within a few hours, both units had turned his humble town into a makeshift fortress, looking for extra wood to cobble together into crude catapults and expanding the palisade into a true defensive wall, complete with battlements.  Later that day, as sunset approached, a band of heavily armored knights arrived in the town.  A portion of the Border Sentinels had arrived to begin patrols of the nearby land, and in a pinch would be able to commit to the defense of Marheim.
     Marheim was on the extreme western end of the Dawnstrider Legion's protected territory, and would certainly be the first target, Arathos reasoned.  A coach was found in the town, a bit plain compared to most, but it served the town's elder well when he traveled to discuss trade with nearby villages.  Arathos, the elf Maialen, and the gruff dwarf Erberk climbed aboard, and rode off with a pair of soldiers handling the task of driving the horses.  Even though sunset and the night was upon them, Arathos was eager to arrive at Castello Viteč as soon as possible.  On the way, he relaxed in the coach, his arm around a sleeping Maialen's waist as Erberk sat across from them smoking his pipe.  "You think we'll be able to handle an all out war with the Black Company, Erberk?"
     "Mmm...tough to say, lad.  We did nae fight in that chaos mess up north, and he did.  Brought back a fair bit of gold and soldiers, I hear.  Of course, we've got our own ways of recruiting, and we've got a right fair sized force; been a long time since we faced an army and lost, so we're doing well for ourselves."
     "Perhaps," Arathos looked out the window, pondering.  "But then again, we've mostly been fighting orcs and small groups of bandits, or livestock raiders.  This would be the first time in a long while since we fought a foe that could truly be considered dangerous."  Arathos sighed, trying to settle into a sleep as the coach moved quickly through the night.  Erberk continue puffing away contentedly, and Arathos' last thoughts were wondering if dwarfs ever slept.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 02, 2009, 06:28:06 PM
Thomas was indeed right about the town elders caving to Castello Viteč. His men marched into the town late that afternoon and fortified the town and river crossing – a strategic point as it was the only place an army could cross this far north. The town was also good in that it was on a major crossroads on the Khyprian road and the old Solland road leading north. The first stage of Matthias’ plan for the east was over, and now Thomas rode quickly to his Army's camp in the Trebleca Hills, north of the town.

I've lined up a battle this saturday with an Empire player who has taken interest in the campaign from what I've explained to him and has agreed to help me out with a game or two. He says he's going to take a fluffy choice for a border princedom, so I'm expecting militia!

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Captain Gerntass on April 02, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
Looking good so far :eusa_clap:
Also, this seams to be a good spot for me to start going into more detailed fluff/story for the Hellenic league and the Dukedom of Arnorlas, they are allied now with Mortensholm, I'll leave everything happening within the Empire in the Solland thread, here I can do some more seperate characters that will cover the repercutions/story in the BorderLands.

If thats alright with every body.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 02, 2009, 10:33:23 PM
No worries,

It's not looking good for Don Matthias, he'll need to find allies fast if my primary target is allied with Arnalos and Myrmidons. (Looks like I might be forced to ally with those damned Wissenlanders?) Not to mention the Dawnstrider Legion.

Yeah GP thought that'd be a good idea too to put all Border Prince efforts in this thread and the Imperial stuff in the Ex-Solland thread.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 03, 2009, 05:56:15 PM
The Gates to the City of Domžale, IC 2524

The coach slowed as the fortress city came into view, making its way along the road that meandered through Domžale's outlying fields and orchards.  The two Dawnstrider soldiers driving the coach checked to make sure their rifles were loaded and ready as they approached the gates.  Uncertain if the gates would be open during the day, and even if they would be welcome to enter if so, the coach came to a halt just outside the city, and the soldiers aboard the coach informed the guards of Domžale that General Arathos the Dawnbringer, General of the Dawnstrider Legion, had come to speak with the leaders of Domžale and the Black Company.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 03, 2009, 06:19:45 PM
Yetsin Valley, Hvargir Forest, Northen Border Princes, IC 2524, Spring

“I think that’s the last of them, my lord Edric,” said Captain Vincent. “Or should I say, if there are any more camps then they can hold nothing more than a mere handful of goblins. The scouts can find nothing of any significance either to the east or the west. If any Greenskins went south, then they will no doubt have been dealt with by the Dawnstriders.”

Graf Edric scanned around the smouldering remains of the settlement, his eyes picking over the corpses to estimate their size, while his warhorse snorted as if in disgust at the smell.

“Aye, I think this is the last. This lot were little more than a goblin band themselves – there’s hardly any here that would merit the name of orc. And you are not wrong about the fate of any foolish enough to have gone south. I reckon, Vincent, our work here could well be done. Call the captains, I will speak with them.”

Vincent turned his own horse away and cantered over to the little raised knoll nearby. Once atop it, he took the horn that hung from the pommel of his saddle and blew a long clear note.

Every head turned to look at him, but then most (the common soldiery) went back about the gory business of dispatching any goblins that still lived, and the no less bloody work of tending their own wounded men. Only the officers left what they were doing and began to make their way over towards him.

Young Josef Schaap, commander the Graf’s Pistoliers, arrived first. He too was mounted, and upon a sprightly steed.

“Ho, Vincent,” he cried, cheerfully as ever. “Hot work, eh? Though these runts are not worth our powder. I told the boys to use their swords instead. Less fun, harder work, but cheap, eh?”

Vincent grinned. “Now that’s a shame. I know how much you and your boys like to make a noise. Maybe you can ….

Vincent’s imminent attempt at humour was cut short, for the Graf had ridden to his and interrupted, speaking in a more sombre tone,

“Be glad you have your powder, captain. You might need all of it yet. This goblin hunting is just the start of our troubles this season. Almost sport, I should say, compared to what we might well face. Remember that there are plenty of rulers jealous of our little realm, not least Don Matthias.”

By now the other captains had gathered, most on foot for they commanded swordsmen and halberdiers and has jointly chosen to march with their men and thus share their hardships. Nearly all were old mercenaries or men raised from the ranks of the militia, and as such they had few allusions to gentleness or grandeur. They were hard men for a hard land.

The Graf raised his hand and they all halted to listen to him.

“You have done well and you have my gratitude. It gladdens me to know that Mortensholm has such fine warriors to defend it. But you do not need me to flatter you, for you all know what we have done this past winter. More of us died from the cold snows than from goblin arrows, but the very fact that we all persevered, until the work was done, proves that you are deserving of flattery.
   
“I will speak plain, for there is little time. I am aware that some of you thought my decision to continue the campaign was reckless, seen in light of the Ogres who arrived at Mortensholm. I understood your concerns, but I also knew that I could trust Don Alonso to find a way to deal with the brutes. He did. He fed them, kept them suitably entertained, and thus cleverly obtained a force to guard Mortensholm through the winter. I doubt the Ogres knew it, but they kept Mortensholm safe through the coldest months. Well, now they have gone north, lured away by the promise of gold and ale over the mountains. This is no bad thing – we could not risk them staying longer, not with the trade routes opening and the herds to be sent out grazing once more. It does mean, however, that we just now return to Mortensholm, and do so quickly.

“There is trouble brewing. I do not trust Don Matthias, he is an Empire builder, and a greedy man. He may well have gone north to fight for the old land and the Emperor, but he will have gained from doing so. Mark my word – he is not the sort to sacrifice himself. He will have returned stronger than ever.

“Don Alonso’s garrison is entirely sufficient to withstand a siege of weeks, if not months. And if they have to, the population of Mortensholm can withdraw into the fortress for protection. Knowing this, I am convinced that Mortensholm could not yet be lost. But we should return, and hastily, for I would not have my subjects, your family and friends, suffer needlessly.

“So, prepare your men for the march. Our foray here has ended.”

Vincent blew once more upon his horn, and unfurled the blue and white standard. All the soldiers knew that they must reform their bodies, and all rushed to do so. There was not loot here to distract them, not in goblin camp, and so they obeyed happily and instantly. They knew they must surely be going home.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 04, 2009, 06:52:04 PM
The City of Domžale, Central Border Princes, IC 2524

Salvatore, head servant of the House Viteč, rushed along the narrow corridor, herding serving girls and waiters burdened with silver trays of wines and sweetmeats. Nobody would think of the Don uncivilised on his watch.
The strangers had arrived earlier in the day riding in a small carriage, three of them, one of them a dwarf, Salvatore noted, with distaste, such an unclean race the dwarfs. The guests were in the oak room, the other side of the palace from the kitchens and it was severely frustrating setting up a civilized dinner.

Stefan, brother to the Don lounged in the chair, his fat gut filling its recesses completely. He looked to the strangers, notably this 'Arathos' character, a man that radiated power, interesting fellow, thought Stefan.

"So glad to recieve such honoured guests, it has been long since we've had to use the reception room. Forgive me for being discourteous but, what warrants such a splendid visit?" The fat man smiled, showing a gold tooth, his many chins wobbling.

Padre - Matthias and Luitpold are with the army atm, crossing the Upper Tona Dante river - iIve got the narrative, but it's on another computer.
Fought a battle today, 1.5k empire vs me representing Thomas Viteč's attack on the town of Vidovdan. Got a narrative batrep on the way.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 05, 2009, 05:05:40 PM
Arathos found the large man in front of him a bit disconcerting.  He had no idea that Don Matthias' brother was so enormously fat, and was astonished that a man of such a phenomenal military reputation could have such a...well, "unique" brother to be polite about his evaluation of this Stefan Matthias.  Maialen sat next to him, quietly enjoying the wine that had been brought to them while Erberk sniffed the mug of ale they had supplied.  While his staff knew enough of dwarfs to bring beer, and quickly, they did not know enough to realize how picky dwarfs are about their drink. Erberk sighed and pushed the mug away, reaching for his pipe.  The wine was better quality than the beer, Arathos decided as he had a taste.  He was rather impressed by the size of the Don's personal estate, and thought how best to proceed with this discussion.
     "Well, it would seem rude to ignore a neighbor when they arrive, and the increase in size of your family's holdings has, effectively, made us neighbors.  Not literally, for if my memory serves me there are still a number of small villages and fields between the edges of your lands, and the lands under my stewardship, but much closer than we were in the past.  I've come to discuss how we may best coexist, and survive in these extraordinarily harsh lands."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 05, 2009, 06:29:25 PM
Stefan sniffed and wiped his mouth of the wine, though much of it stained his small beard.
"Ah, but we've been here for ten years. Only now have you graced us with your presence! So let us not dally with these formalities. What are you really here for, unannounced and with no fanfare."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 05, 2009, 06:32:33 PM
The Trebleca Hills, South of Vidovdan, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas Viteč stood silently with his men, surveying the field of battle. The enemy, under the young Duke of Vidovdan had brought out more men than he thought and he knew his small force would be hard-pressed to win this fight. His brother, Matthias, had given him but two hundred men to take the towns of Moslac and Vidovdan, and then to secure the trebleca river and hold the crossings. Thomas was sceptical from the start.

His army stood in their battle line, waiting for the Vidovdans to array their full force. Forty pikemen, assembled in two units stood in the centre, a wall of steel. Duellists, their swords gleaming, their clothes dashing and their beards trimmed flanked the pike blocks, protecting their vulnerable sides. Two units of Crossbowmen stood behind the infantry, their powerful bows well oiled and ready to fire. Between the crossbows, the faintly comical sight of Halflings with their short bows made ready, flexing their little arms and hurling insults at the crossbowmen. To the left, a small cannon made ready, the crewmen setting up their ammunition and chatting to the wizard, Pietro Pizatti, a strange Tilean with a flowing dark beard. On the right a unit of Lancers, stood with their horses, showing off in their armour - much to the distaste of the lightly-armed scout cavalry next to them.

The enemy army had now fully lined up in front of them, units of spearmen – pale imitations of Imperial State Troops made up the majority of the force. Militiamen, crossbows and archers made up the rest of the force, a mercenary cavalry unit stood on the flank, facing Thomas’ own cavalry.

Thomas looked up at the sun, the time was upon them. He raised his arm to his captain, Laszlo Besovic, and then marched his pikemen forward, trumpets blaring in the bright sun, dust being kicked up from the marching men. A flurry of crossbow bolts flew over his head, slamming into the enemy, punching men from their feet, causing a small unit to flee the field. The cannon suddenly boomed, smashing into the ground in front of the largest unit of spearmen, burying itself a few feet from the front rank. The enemy troops had started moving forward now too, marching directly at his pike blocks. They also let loose their own missiles, arrows raining down on his men, mostly clattering off armour but a few found weak spots and un-armoured body parts.
Thomas’ cavalry moved forwards, seeking to hit the flank of the enemy infantry but keeping a close watch on the mercenary knights of the Vidovdans. Arrows were starting to take its toll on booth sides now, but the Black Companies’ were much more effective, making another small unit fleeing away and greatly diminishing the other enemy units. The cannon missed again a slight wind causing the ball to go vastly wide. His men kept on marching towards the enemy spearmen, the men confident in their ability to take the poorly trained troops. There was suddenly a great crash as the enemy cavalry slammed into his own lancers, causing a horseman to fall from his horse.

Then there was a counterattack by the light cavalry and a unit of duellists, surrounding the knights, unhorsing two, making them rout and be cut down by the vengeful lancers. Well, thought Thomas that was that problem out of the way. The two infantry forces were getting closer now, and he could make out individual faces. He halted his pikes, his sergeant calling out orders to get his men ready to receive the charge. The crossbows let fly with another flurry of bolts, crashing into the enemy again, sending down their front rank. As the enemy were getting ready to charge, Thomas felt and heard a massive explosion, the cannon had misfired, exploding and sending bits of metal flying in every direction. Thomas turned to see the Wizard, Pizatti, stagger from the smoke, looking rather surprised, his beard singed badly. He couldn’t see the cannon crew.

Then the enemy infantry hit into his line, they had superior numbers but the pikes had the advantage of greater reach, killing scores of the enemy to little loss to his own men. Thomas himself had to fend off several blows from the enemy desperate to make a name of themselves by killing a captain. In a brief respite from the fighting, Thomas looked across to see his cavalry running down some archers and crossbowmen, destroying their missile troops. The spearmen and pikemen were still fighting furiously, the enemy standing their ground. Then the duellists leapt into the rear of the enemy, their twin swords and daggers slashing into spearmen and militia, cutting down droves.

The enemy were fighting desperately now, and losses were mounting on both sides, the pikes and spears punching men from their feet, the duellist swords disembowelling and slashing men. Yet the duellists were starting to take losses, their un-armoured bodies easy prey for a good thrust. The tension was mounting, the balance wavering. Thomas caught a glimpse of a large man in the enemy troops carrying an elaborate standard and calling out to his troops, stiffening their resolve. Thomas slashed this way and that, making his way to the banner bearer, calling out a challenge to the man. He hefted his longsword, steadying his shield arm and leapt at the man, slashing at his throat. The enemy captain parrying his blow with a battlehammer and slamming into Thomas’ shield. They fought like this for some time, men falling around them. Both of the combatants were tiring, their heavy armour weighing them down until Thomas managed to slam his sword deep into the enemy’s side, tearing into the man’s vital organs, killing him outright.

Thomas hefted the enemies’ standard, waving it for all to see before throwing it to the churned up mud. At this, most of the enemy infantry broke and ran, led by the poorly trained militia. The light cavalry and duellists harrying them into the hills. They had done it, outnumbered; the Black Company had prevailed once again.

Matthias will be pleased, the towns of Moslac and Vidovdan were vital crossings on the river Trebleca, and Vidovdan commanded the southern entry to a pass through to the empire. All that was left would be to dig in and recruit more men. There were rumours about a well armed professional army holding sway over many eastern towns, Thomas was worried they might try to cross the river.

Thomas was indeed right about the town elders caving to Castello Viteč. His men marched into the town late that afternoon and fortified the town and river crossing – a strategic point as it was the only place an army could cross.

A win for me, though he didn't exactly have a strong list - we wanted to go for a narrative battle, and not disrupt the campaign.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 06, 2009, 07:39:08 PM
Looks good. :icon_cool:

I've been writing a story over the weekend from the Matorean perspective of things, and combining some of the fluff from the madalfred website with what has been happpening on this thread, along with alittle creativity as well.  I need to revise it a bit, and then I'll post it.  Not sure how much I'll be able to follow it up because of what else needs to be done with The Solland Effort, but we'll see.

Also, I've associated Matorea with the CiM and A3 campaigns by incorporating ships and their captains being based out of its port.  I envision it being a town that has had various different rulers with different backgrounds over the course of its history, but with a sea based economy remaining through out.  The madalfred site has them currently under Bretonnian rule, and since the Bretonnian army book alludes to possible future Errantry Wars, I've assumed that this is what has happened between 2522 and 2524, along with the rest of the locations listed on that site as being under Bretonnian rulers.  However, I've included the local Matorean military based on Imperial organizational principles, although this doesn't mean the current Bretonnian land lord doesn't have their own force, and I'm planning on creating some for such use as well, hopefully over the upcoming summer.  I could see the Matorean's perhaps at some point even being irritated enough by the Brets, where by they switch sides during the conflict if an opportunity to reclaim their land occurs.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 06, 2009, 08:03:03 PM
Arathos grinned, quite pleased to do away with formalities.  He was a soldier, and not used to the courtly behavior of cloaking one's words and intents behind flowery speech and veiled suggestions.  Direct was his preferred course, and his host had opened the door for him so he could walk through without seeming rude or coarse.  "I come because my scouts have noticed increased military activity around your lands recently.  With your lands and the ones beneath my protection so close together, I have an interest in the activities of Domžale for obvious reasons.  After, as you said, ten years of silence and inaction, I now realize that we have a powerful neighbor beside us."  A plan was taking root in Arathos' head, and he could only hope that the beginning stages would work out here with this fat, but not necessarily stupid, man.  He reminded himself that the brother of the Don's brain might not be as ponderous and slow as his corpulent body.  "Rather than risk suspicion and words come to blows, I have come to invite you, and your brothers, to meet with myself and the various village elders and leaders, at my headquarters in Schwarzbaum.  Perhaps there, we can discuss trade arrangements, routes, and other matters of state?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 07, 2009, 01:40:43 PM
Stefan was immediately suspicious of this proposal. Life as a mercenary had taught him not to place his trust easily.

"I apologise, General, but I'm afraid my brothers are currently indisposed. Though I will gladly discuss trade agreements with you, perhaps just between you and I."

At that, Salvatore the steward bustled into the room, carrying a dispatch. He placed it before Stefan and made away with the empty cups and trays. Stefan's chubby fingers closed around the leather casing, pulling the paper out. After a short scan, his small, piggy eyes glanced once more to Arathos.

"I have good news. Our trade can be done much more efficiently. News from the East. My young brother, Thomas has 'persuaded' the towns of Moslac and Vidovdan to accept our protection, doubling our lands."

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 07, 2009, 01:45:15 PM
If he was surprised, Arathos did not show it.  However, he was surprised.  They had ridden close to both those towns on their way from Marheim.  Instead, Arathos nodded and smiled.  "Well, that will make the journey to Schwarzbaum much safer for you, you won't need to worry about predations as you travel through unprotected lands.  I have some arrangements to make before you arrive, such as calling together the elders and such, but it should not take more than a few days.  Perhaps I shall see you then?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 07, 2009, 03:55:10 PM
"Yes I shall come personally in a few days. You don't mind if I bring my entourage and staff?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 07, 2009, 03:59:12 PM
Arathos shook his head, quite pleased at the response for some indecipherable reason.  "Not at all!  Bring as many as you like, we will be all too happy to host anyone you bring with you."  With this, Arathos rose to bid Stegan farewell, and end the meeting amiably and politely.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 07, 2009, 05:18:58 PM
The Walls of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

Matthias gazed over his assembled force from the entrance to his tent; his army were fortifying the area around the city with siege works, digging in cannon emplacements and crossbow pavises. Arms clasped behind his back, he turned once more to his Captains seated around the planning table. Luitpold Von Jorgen was there, his raiding campaign over, his forces relatively intact, next to the burly Imperial was the Marienburger wizard, Jan van Junge, his blue robes shimmering in the light mountain breeze flowing through the open tent flaps. Alongside these two were two native border princites, Rudolph Litzen and Vladimir Bukov, hardy infantry leaders whom Matthias could count on. The last member around the table, seated next to the Don’s camp chair was the Army Accountant, Carlo Atobello, a relic from Tilea. One of the few men Matthias could consider a friend.

Matthias had been growing increasingly frustrated with the short march north. The spring flooding of the Tona Dante River had caused untold problems as the few flimsy bridges had been washed away with the thaw.
“Gentlemen, the time for our largest action of the campaign is upon us. I have intelligence from the north with news that the Graf and the Mayor are both away, the Graf with his army in the mountains, the Mayor in the Empire.”

The Don scanned the faces of the men present, looking at their reactions. Captain Litzen spoke up first.
“If the Graf is out of the town, then they won’t be able to stand up to a direct assault. I say we storm the walls as soon as possible”

Many of the members of war council nodded in agreement with this.
“I agree. I expect a token force of second-rate militia. Though I believe we should at least give them the chance to surrender” said van Junge.

“Then it is settled. Atobello, you will deliver the message” ordered the Don.

“Yes My Lord.”

Matthias signalled to the servants to serve lunch before taking his seat.

---

The Gates of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524
The messenger party rode up to the walls, a flag of truce waved before them. All were heavily armoured lancers of the Don’s own guard, their black armour glinting in the sun. Carlo Atobello clutched the message in a gauntleted hand, and stared up at the gatehouse and the figures peering at the party.

As he neared the gatehouse, Carlo lifted his visor, and lifted up the parchment. He cleared his throat before calling out in a loud, throaty voice, his accent tinged with a Tilean flair.

“People of Mortensholm, the Valiant Don Matthias Viteč, Voivode of Domžale and General of the Black Company has, in his infinite mercy allowed the good people of Mortensholm a chance to avoid violence in the changing over hands of the City. The Don has given his word that no man, woman or child will be harmed if the gates of the city are opened at five o’clock this afternoon.”

With that, Carlo sat his horse, and waited for a reply.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 07, 2009, 05:40:21 PM
Obviously, events are moving quicker here than on the other side of the mountains.  Lots of talking up there, but less action.  For the moment. :icon_lol:

Guess I need to get my Border Prince piece up asap ...
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 07, 2009, 05:51:46 PM
We're more of an 'action' lot down here, if you don't attack first you get whooped by the guys next door.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 07, 2009, 05:58:47 PM
Once the carriage was safely on its way back to Marheim, Erberk spoke up after putting away his pipe.  "So lad, ye worry this man's out for land and conquest, and instead of letting him know where he stands, ye invite him over for dinner.  I'm not saying yer daft, yet, but ye mind explaining the logic?"
     "I'm inviting a man, who has the ear of the Don, to visit our strongest city, and tour it.  There he can see the stoutness of our walls, our well drilled soldiers and armored greatswords, and a glimpse of something I know he doesn't have; Brimcon's latest invention and masterpiece.  Of course, he's there to discuss trade, but he might learn something else of our land and the people defending it while he's there.  If he should get the impression we're not to be trifled with, well, that is not my fault.  I only invited him over for friendly discussions."  Erberk nodded, but then Maialen spoke after the silence.
     "He's on the move, and quick.  What do you intend to do about Moslac and Vidovdan?"  Arathos shrugged.
     "Nothing, yet.  We had no arrangements nor agreements with either of them, and they did not contact us for help or an agreement.  It's too late.  I'm sure Mortensholm is next, but I'm not looking to start a war; we'll have to wait until someone draws us into it, like we always do.  Just because he has a lust for land does not mean we abandon our neutrality."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 07, 2009, 06:37:19 PM
Beauport (formerly Matorea prior to the Bretonnians newest Errantry War),  Border Princes, 2524 I.C.

Marceau approached Princess Sophia du Beaucamp who sat upon her large wooden chair, some said “throne”.  Sir Augustin was sitting on the next level of the small dias down from her, where they sat on many days after the mid day meal to receive any officials that wished to speak with the princess.

And as was his manner, Marceau spoke softly, “Your highness, Dmitriy, le vendeur, is here to see you this afternoon with his report.”

“Marceau, my dear, please send him in.”

Marceau turned slowly, walked the short distance back to the closed oak door that served as the main entry into the antechamber next to the Great Hall, where over a dozen people were standing in line.  After opening the door, Marceau motioned for Dmitriy to enter, and then after Dmitriy took a few steps inside and across the open space to meet with the Princess.  Marceau closed the door again, and stood close by.

“Ah, my dear Dmitriy.  It has been an entire season since your last visit, and what news do you have for me today, monsieur?”

“Your highness, I will start with where I have come from last, and then give you an overview of everything I have learned since we last met.”

“Very good, you may begin.”

“With Spring upon us all, Princess Nadia du Pont has ordered her Brasovian laborers back to work on the new abbey in honor of Sainte Therese.  Also, the Knights of Sainte Therese have seen elements of the Black Company of Domzale moving east towards the Trebleca, and they seem to have moved into Charlerloi without a fight.”

The princess showed a slightly alarmed look as she replied, “Dmitry, dear, what has happened to Prince Andre du Montfort?”

“That’s a good question, your highness.  The original council of elders is now back in control of the town, and Prince Andre du Montfort hasn’t been heard from.  However, if I had to guess, with the bridge at Moslac, uh, I mean Charleroi, no longer in Bretonnian hands.  Perhaps he has fled to Stryratia where he could find refuge with your cousin, Nicholas?”

“I see, yes, Prince Beaumont’s land might be one likely spot.”  She stopped for a moment remembering how her cousin had arrived in the Border Princes long before various Bretonnian nobles wishing to increase their fortunes had begun the most recent Errantry Wars.  Then she questioned again, “And what of the rest of our Bretonnian friends?”

Dmitriy continued his report, “Soon after Prince Alexander Dijonou’s death, his sister Lady Rosalina, now Dutchess of Arnalos, who has stopped calling the town Dijonville and is back to using it’s original name, has gone north into Wissenland.  Rumor has it she is there at the invitation of a Baron Nathaniel von Pfiefraucher, nephew of the late Bruno, who also requested the presence of Graf Edric von Steinkhuler VI, son of the late Gotthold Steinkhuler.  However, the burgomeister, Mayor Alonso de Rohas, went instead, and the Town Council of Arkendorf has sent their mayor Delt Naubeck, too.  Also, a sizable army of Ogres led by one called Agrabog has stayed in Mortensholm over the winter, while the young Steinhuler continued last fall’s campaign to clean out his area of greenskins across and into the new year.”

“Hmmm … I never did quite no what to make of Alexander’s sister, and the new Steinkhuler is already proving himself to be quite capable for one of Imperial heritage.  So Dmitriy, are you aware of what all of that is about?”

“Something about Olde Solland, your highness.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, your highness, although this hasn’t been confirmed yet.”

“Well, please continue with what other information you have, Dmitriy.”

“Prince Stephen Clemenaceau has produced a fine Cabanal vintage last year but he is now bottling it under the new name for his town, Charlesbourg, and by the way, I brought a case of it for you today.”

“Have you now, well perhaps I’ll try some later this evening.”

“Your highness, I’ve had the pleasure to taste some myself, and it show signs of maturing more fully in 3 to 5 years, so perhaps cellaring would be best.”

“Yes, yes, but we digress, what is next Dmitriy?”

“I’ve brought olive oil for you as well from Prince Alain Herriot’s harvest last year.  He is concerned that his Chateau could be at threat if Luitpold von Jurgen moves further west.  He has sent some light Mentreda horse bowmen to keep track of any such moves from the east.”

“Ah, Sir Alain, using the local soldiers who know the area, a wise move on his part.  That leaves Prince George Chabrier, at Chambourg, and Prince Pierre-Jean Renoir at …”, Sophia paused for a moment, rolled her eyes, and then said, “Saint Pierre.  Naming the place after his father still seems a bit much to me.  I’m not sure the man would qualify for a saint back in Bretonnia.”

Dmitriy ignored the personal comments, for it was his practice to only express his opinions on such things to the Princess when she asked for them, but he continued, “Pierre-Jean has been very industrious.  The abbey being built there, when finished, will be larger then the one for Saint Therese, but it is further along then the latter.  Also, he has continued to grow the size of his garrison, with plenty of local Zenres’ having enlisted, when Pierre-Jean was paying them more than the former ruler.”

“Yes, the Renoir family wealth is exactly why the family was sent there, instead of anyone else.”

“Your highness, regarding Prince Chabrier of Somtek, erm, excuse me, I mean Chambourg,” Dmitry, was still sometimes having trouble with the changes in place names that had occurred as a result of the influx of Bretonnians due to their newest Errantry War in his homeland, “has had a bit of a problem over the winter with pirates that have been raiding and stealing from his warehouses.”

“Ah, well, that sounds like something we can get Captain Mardonia to deal with, wouldn’t you agree, dear Augustin.”

“Yes, my lady.  That sounds like a wise idea.”

“Well then, thank you very much for your report, Dmitriy.  I want you to do two things before going into the old Matorean Market to display your wares.  The first, on your next trip through the region, ride safely, for it seems things could be getting quite interesting, particularly up north.  And the second, have Marceau give you a few extra coins for being so thorough again as you head out the door.  Do you hear that Marceau?”

“Yes, your highness,” and then Marceau reached into his side pouch for a few more coins besides the silver ones that had already been previously prepared in a different pouch for Dmitriy.

As Dmitriy headed out of the room, he saw the extra coins deposited into his hand were gold.

Once the door was closed again, Marceau noticed that Princess de Beaucamp had already turned her head towards the knight at her side before speaking, “What do you suppose we do about these events that we hear of happening in the north?”

“My lady, after we hear from the rest that come before you today, I will see to it that the Matorean Swords along with their detachments of archers and militia are instructed to head for Sainte Therese to bolster Princess Nadia’s soldiers.  I will also send along some of the local crossbows, handgunners, and an artillery piece, along with the horse unit led by Sergeant Ferdinand Weisefecther, who I will promote to Captain to lead the expedition as well.”

“Excellent.”  Then Princess Sophia turned back towards her chamberlain, "Marceaux, please send in whomever is next, thank you.”

By the way … most of these names and places are borrowed and can be found in relation to information available on the Border Princes and particularly from the madalfred website.  Only Marceau, Sir Augustin, Dmitriy, Ferdinand, and Capt. Thaddeus Mardonia IV are my creations.  (The latter being a descendant of Thaddeus Mardonia from the Crisis in Marienburg campaign, as well as a participant with Van Koschumberg’s Fleet of Fortune during the 2nd Araby Wars, A3 campaign, that takes place in 2527.)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 07, 2009, 06:57:54 PM
Excellent stuff, GP, as per usual.

Great to see a Bretonnian noblewoman's personality put into play here. Should be interesting.
(It seems I'm slowly getting surrounded)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 08, 2009, 01:54:04 AM
Thanks.  At some point I'll probably touch base with you behind the scenes again as things move forward, similarly to how we chatted on the one minor issue about where your town was located so I could get my story straight.  I've got some ideas on a story line that could work in nicely with what you are doing as well, but there is much to contemplate at the moment.  Besides, the neat thing about how this kind of thing can develop is that when others write something, it can cause another to be inspired with a direction to take their own writing in with their next piece. :icon_cool:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 08, 2009, 09:10:58 AM
The City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

More and more enemy forces were arriving, dragging siege pieces and engines of war in their long train, and it had long become clear that this was no feint, no idle threat, but a serious attempt at capturing the city. Don Matthias’ soldiers and engineers were two days into the work of preparing siege lines, perhaps a circumvallation intended to stretch all the way around the city.

But would they attempt to besiege the fortress too? So far it looked like they were to concentrate their efforts upon the city walls. And in many ways that made sense, for the walls were incomplete – at least, their conversion to dressed stone was not finished. Several sections were still little more than ditches, banks and palisades, lined outwardly with pitfalls and stormpoles. Whereas the fortress itself, off to one side of the city and raised above it by the hill, growing out of a foundation of living stone, was fully completed. A stone-lined bastion of earth, with the low walls of modern defences, with a more traditional inner donjon built tall to dominate the land around with its presence.

The castellan, Utrecht Kateman, watched from the very top of that tower, scrutinising both the enemy camp and the city below him. The enemy had concentrated their camp in the exact same spot as the Ogres had occupied over the winter, which was no surprise considering the lay of the land – it was the natural and sensible choice. But their siege-works extended out from that spot, and the bastions mounting the machines of war stretched in a line almost all the way around the city.

Of course, the city’s defences were considered by many to be the perfect defence against artillery, for no ball could penetrate a bank of earth, and there was little that would topple from the force of the impact. This was why the fortress had outer walls of similar construction, though dressed with stone to add a more permanent and impressive façade.

And better yet, he was in possession of every piece of ordinance the Graf owned, as well as the gunners and matrosses to crew them. Edric could hardly take his artillery on a race down the valley to pursue bands of marauding goblins. Which was to the good. But would it be enough? The garrison in the castle was meagre. This was why he and the mayor had been forced to play the generous hosts to the Ogres, as if they were pleasant company and most welcome. But the Don’s force was much more suited to attacking the walls, and thus presented more of a threat.

The city militia (itself at a low in numbers) could present a show of patrolling the walls, as well as shooting the occasional quarrel and arrow at any enemy foolish enough to linger within range and in sight. But they were hardly sufficient to push back a determined assault by hardened soldiers of the Black Company if the walls were to be breached.

Utrecht could not, however, reinforce the city with his garrison regiment, for then the fortress would have insufficient numbers to ensure its defence. All he could do, and of course he had done it, was to send riders to find out the Graf and beg his speedy return to Mortensholm to relieve the defenders. How many had got through, he knew not, but a dozen had left that first night, when only the enemy’s vanguard had approached the walls. Surely one would have wit enough to employ his better knowledge of the land and sneak past any enemy outriders and scouts?


The castellan’s eye was caught by something, down near the city gates. Several armoured riders carrying a Bretonnian style ‘pavillon blanc’ of truce. They halted before the gates and the lead man flourished a paper in his hand. Utrecht did not need to hear the words to know their content – it would be a summons to surrender.

Of course he would not, could not, do such a thing. Graf Edric was close, perhaps only two or three days off, at the most a week. It was not as if he’d crossed into foreign lands. All Mortensholm had to do was hold for a week. And if the city fell, then there was still the fortress itself.

No, he would not surrender, and Don Matthias surely knew that. Yet the act of reading the summons proved one thing - that the Don knew the rules and etiquette of war. Well, so did Utrecht. He turned to the lieutenant at his side.

“I have no idea what terms that man is delivering, but I can guess. Go now, hurry to the gate, learn what was said, and then answer for me. Ask for more time than was offered, and explain that this is because I am ill with the plague and can hardly be expected to rush such an important decision. If they ask about the plague, tell them the Ogres brought it, and that it came from their camp. Tell them that it has infected the city. Oh, and cough as you say it!”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 03:30:39 PM
The Black Company Camp, Outside Mortensholm, 2524 IC

"Plague?!" exclaimed the Don. "This I did not foresee."

"Yes My Lord. The messenger says the City is riddled with the disease."

The Don turned away from his Captains, stroking his thin, grey streaked beard. "Very well" he said to himself. "In the event of plague, the only cleanser is fire. Load the mortars with incendiary, burn the city to the ground, tell the men at the siege works to let no man, woman or child leave. If I can't have the city, then the Graf won't have it either." The Don ordered, remorselessly.

Carlo bowed to the Don, then made his way to the siege lines.

Ten minutes later, as the Don was sitting down for his Dinner, the sound of the Armies' six heavy mortars roared in the evening light. Followed by bursts of explosions from the city. The nearest houses to the walls were set aflame by the specialized rounds.

The Black Company had no need to light lanterns that night.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 04:44:36 PM
Sorry, Toro, I completely forgot to post up what Stefan is doing.

The Town of Moslac (Formerly Charlerloi), Central Border Princes, IC 2524

Stefan sat back in Matthias' Coach. It was posh, compared to Border Prince standards with velvet cushions and carved artistry on the outside. The Captain enjoyed traveling in it, he had, as of yet found no horse that could bear his weight for long periods of time. Behind the carriage came a large troop of armoured lancers, Stefan's personal guards, recruited from the burliest, meanest men of the Black Company. Behind those was a train of carriages with the Captain's servants, specialized chefs and his own rich food and wines for the short journey.

The meeting with his younger brother had been brief, he had never liked Thomas, he was too much into wars and fighting to enjoy the finery and joy of life Stefan did. Thomas' campaign had been brief and fairly unbloody. His brother's forces had fortified the main river crossing and started recruiting and training the men of the town to serve in the Don's army.

It was a day to the closest Dawnstrider encampment at Marheim, where Stefan expected an escort from the local forces, and a further two to their Capital Schwarzbaum. Stefan was not looking forward to his stay with the Dawnstriders, The eastern Border Princes was a fairly wild area and the Captain didn't expect too fine a settlement in the way of theaters and pleasure houses.

The carriage and entourage trundled on across the flat plains, dust being kicked up from the horses.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 05:19:43 PM
No problem

The Town of Marheim, IC 2524

The General had arrived and moved on quickly, and Oberst Haufman found himself in a hurry to prepare.  A unit of knights was awaiting some sort of envoy from the west, and it would be their duty to escort this envoy to Schwarzbaum.  He made his way to the center of town to meet the leader of the knights, Under-Marshall Otto Bernhardt.  He was impressed by the sight of them, dozens of men on stout horses, their plate and the steely barding of their horses gleaming in the midday sun.  He walked over to the one man who's helm was crowned with a wreath, and nodded up to him.  "Herr Bernhardt?"  The helm was removed to reveal a man with pitch black hair and a thick, well groomed mustache.
     "Ah, there you are Herr Haufman.  My men and I were wondering when you'd show up.  Where's this visitor we're supposed to handle?"
     "He should be here either today, or sometime tommorow, depending on how quickly he moves.  The General did not stay long, he said the city of Schwarzbaum needed to be prepared.  However," at this, Oberst Haufman reached into his coat and handed a hastily-sealed scroll to the knight, "he did leave orders for you, regarding the transport of the envoy.  If you'll excuse me, I have to see how the walls are coming along."  Under-Marshall Bernhardt nodded, and broke the seal on his notice, reading his orders:

     "Under-Marshall Bernhardt of the Second Chapter of the Border Sentinels,

You are to escort one Stefan Matthias from Marheim to Schwarzbaum with all possible haste.  You cannot miss him, he is fat enough to make an ogre jealous.  It is of the utmost importance that Stefan gain the impression that your men, all the soldiers of my army for that matter, are disciplined and hardened soldiers that would put the Reiksgaurd Knights to shame.  Do not take detours or rests through any lesser hamlets; if you must stop midway through the trip, halt at one of our guard towers or camps, and make reference to the constant threat of goblins or some other such excuse if he complains.  Make sure to head onto the Western Trail as you approach Schwarzbaum at its furthest progress.

     General Arathos, the Dawnbringer"

Bernhardt blinked at the last sentence, and turned to his musician.  "How long before the Western Trail is due to be completed?"  The musician thought for a moment.
     "About another 7 months, I thought.  It shouldn't even reach the first neighboring town at this point.  Why?"
     "We're being ordered to enter it as it begins; I don't understand it.  The first dozen or so yards will be horribly rocky before the smooth stretch begins, what is the General thinking?"  Bernhardt was confused.  This envoy, if he was as fat as the General implied, was surely not traveling by horseback.  He would need a coach, or a wagon, or something to carry his bulk.  They could break a wheel entering the Trail; at the least, it would be extremely uncomfortable and shaky.  He didn't know what was going on, but soon heard a guard yelling out "They're here!"


The western entrance to the city was, thankfully, the first part to be converted from wooden palisade to a proper wall; though still wooden, the wall had been expanded and packed with earth in the middle, in the hopes of slowing a siege.  The gate had been reinforced, and the wall now was wide enough at its top for men to patrol, with battlements to protect them from enemy missile fire.  As the dusty haze in the distance grew closer, the sight of a coach trailed by heavy cavalry and more carriages behind that came into view.  There were no militia upon the walls that day, however.  The handgunners had been stationed and readied their weapons, while stout swordsmen lined the road from the gate to the town center, and spearmen stood ready to defend the gate.  The envoy was expected, and would be welcomed, but the General had left specific orders for a strong show of force to be ready to greet them none the less.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 08, 2009, 05:24:56 PM
Inside the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

When night came, the first of the grenadoes fell. Initially most of the inhabitants of the city thought that a powder store had gone up, for the flash of light and falling debris covered quite an area. But those closest to it knew better. Or worse.

The blast had utterly destroyed the stables of the city's largest inn, killing several horses and the ostler and his apprentice. Women were weeping, and men rushing around. Wounded horses whined in pain, until they were silenced in a rather final manner. It was obvious what had caused the ruin, for this was no magazine.

When the thump, thump, thump of the other mortars in the battery was heard, everyone in the city held their breath. What was the point of running if you knew not where anyone of the grenadoes was going to fall? And few had yet realised that perhaps they ought to take shelter - the danger was as yet too novel.

An hour later all were experts in the terrible danger. That hour had seemed to last an eternity. Three more bouts of grenadoes had landed, and several large buildings had caught fire - though this seemed more to do with the burning hearths within the ruins starting fires than the grenadoes themselves. When the grenadoes went off they tore things apart, but their own blast extinguished often extinguished the flames that surged out of them. Not so the sparks and fire-drops, which fell upon the thatched roofs of the poorer houses and invariably set them alight. Thus nearly the entire eastern suburb, where the labourers and poorest of folk dwelt, was burning before midnight.

The mayor's deputy had ordered buckets filled with water placed by every threshold in every street. This was done. He also ordered that should a grenado land, that the citizens were to grab the closest bucket and extinguish the fuse before it exploded the shell. This was rarely done. Who in their right mind would run towards a lit grenado? Especially one buried in the debris created by it's fall through a roof or such like. Those foolhardy enough to try had died in the blast, bucket in hand. And they left no clue as to what they had been trying to do.

More practical assistance was being given by the Castellan. He had ordered his gunners to shift the ordinance and train it upon the mortar batteries - easily enough spotted as the spewed flame into the air upon firing. At this range bar shot or case was of little use, and so solid shot was being used. If they were lucky, maybe one or two of the murdering mortars could be silenced.

But the best chance of all was the party of men gathering, the bravest of the militia, at a hidden sally port. Upon their own intitiative they had decided that they would, as soon as the moon was obscured by cloud, sally forth and strike at the mortars. They had slow match, with which they hoped to blast any budge barrels of black powder, and huge nails and hammers with which they hoped the spike the mortars and make them unusable. Each of them had smeared charcoal upon their faces and wore their darkest clothes. Even the swords they carried had had their blades blackened over a fire so that they might not gleam.

Two score men, furious at the hell being visited upon their kinfolk, waited impatiently as the clouds crawled slowly across the night sky.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 05:45:24 PM
The Town of Marheim, IC 2524

Stefan lifted up the curtain to view the assembled soldiers positioned in the town square. They were an impressive bunch, their armour and weapons of a good quality and they stood straight and disciplined. 'Pah, those fancy boys wouldn't stand a chance against the Black Company' he thought, in his arrogance.

A Captain came walking up to his door as Stefan's pudgy hand opened it.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 05:48:28 PM
Standing just a short was from the door as Stefan exited was a man in gleaming plate armor, a blue tabard with a gold border worn over his torso.  The tabard bore the emblem of a shield with a sword upon it, with rays of light emanating from behind the shield; the design was done in flawless white embroidery.  A sword was slung at his hip, and behind him a number of calvary in well dressed ranks.  The man bowed lightly to Stefan as he exited.

"Herr Matthias?  I am Under-Marshall Otto Bernhardt of the Border Sentinels.  Welcome to Marheim."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 06:00:13 PM
Outside the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

The Mortars thundered once again, launching their explosive and devastating payload into the town beyond. The crews scurried around, reloading and fetching more ammunition from the supply wagons behind the lines.

Luitpold von Jorgen, Captain of Lancers, crouched down in the drainage ditch, most of his bulky armour dispensed with. Alongside him sat two score veteran Duellists, experts in close combat sword fighting, as well as the use of close-quarter pistol use, rather flamboyant, yet tough individuals. It had been three hours and he was beginning to doubt the Don's judgement. many of the older veterans assured Luitpold that this tactic had been used by the Black Company many a time during it's fighting in Tilea and elsewhere. The day had not been good for Luitpold, on Matthias' orders, he had slaughtered thirty of the pack horses and left them to rot in the sun, ammunition for the wooden onagers the Black Company were building.

The enemy had started to sporadically fire cannon from the walls at the mortars, though they struggled to find the range, most of the cannonballs smashing into the embankment above Luitpold's head. He settled down to wait once again.

---

In his tent, The Don sipped his goblet of wine. A smile spread across his lips as the sounds of the fires came from the city. Another murderous volley of mortar rounds thundered into the night sky, splitting the night in a roar of sound.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 06:07:26 PM
"Matthias? Matthias is my brother, boy, I am Stefan Vitec, General of the Exchequer, Warden of Domzale."

In the sun, Stefan stretched his body and loosened his belt, letting the fat roll out peacefully. The popinjay in the pretty armour was attempting to greet him once again but Stefan dismissed him with a wave of a hand.

"It is lunch time and I am hungry, but i assume we must be in a hurry so I shall have to eat in the carriage. Formalities dictate that I invite you also"

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 06:11:05 PM
Already Otto disliked this man, though he did his best to hide it.  Grandmaster Rheinhardt was a ruthless disciplinarian, and he'd lose his post as Under-Marshall in a hurry if he displeased a guest of the General, however rude that guest may be.  He nodded, and turned to the standard bearer.  "Take my horse, I'll be joining the esteemed Warden Vitec for lunch."  He made his way towards the coach, his armor clinking as he moved and the scabbard knocked against his legplates.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 06:22:15 PM
It was an hour past noon now and Stefan had almost finished with his lunch: A whole chicken, a rack of ribs and a large plate of roasted vegetables. His companion had not said or eaten much during the journey and this suited Stefan fine. However he felt that if he were to make trade and diplomatic agreements with General Arathos, he should at least be courteous to his Officers, and maybe gain some knowledge of Arathos and his men.

A large unit of Dawnstrider Knights had joined the convoy, tripling the numbers of men, hopefully warding off any marauding human slavers and offering security to the Greenskins that were far more prolific this side of the River.

"So Herr Berhardt, how long have you served in Arathos' Army?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 06:30:53 PM
Dawnbringer Hold, the Fortress in the Center of Schwarzbaum, IC 2524

     "I don't care about the Huntsmen, Brim!"  Arathos thundered as he made his way past the rushing men; soldiers were hurriedly flitting about trying to handle the immense amount of tasks ahead of them, and the General was moving though the courtyard in their midst on towards the doors to the Hold.  Brimcon, bedecked in his leather work vest with all manner of gadgets and clockwork dangling from the myriad hoops and tassels woven into the vest, followed him.
     "General, we need more scouts!  I mean, these men can slip unseen into the heart of an enemy town, and disappear into the forest the next morning as though they never existed!  They'll give us an unprecented edge!  I've already trained a dozen men, and more are in training and stationed throughout the borders, we could have some in Tilea before the end of summer-" Arathos whirled around, silencing him mid sentence.
     "Brim, I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I acknowledge the utility of what you're doing, but at the moment, I want that heap of a metal monstrosity you've been patching together up and running and on the firing ranges in two days!"  Brimcon blinked at the demand.  "I don't care how you do it, but I need it looking it's finest.  It needs to be fully operational in two days, because I need it operational, polished and painted to perfection in three days.  Can you do it?"
     "Yes...yes, I can handle that."  Arathos sighed, placing a hand to Brim's shoulder.
     "Good.  Good, that is very important.  We'll discuss your huntsmen next week, when all this is over.  Now, if you would-" Arathos was interrupted by a window breaking, and both men turned to look.  A window on the second floor was shattered, and a screaming green object fell down, crashing into a cart of hay bound for the stables.  A fireball lurched out the window and shot across the sky, followed by a bellowing shout and a man with a staff came plummeting into the hay wagon.  The screaming green thing lept out of the wagon and soon had the man with the staff behind it in hot pursuit.  Arathos' eyes closed, and he took a deep breath.  "Make sure Averrob and Gelnar are far, far away before my guests arrive.  Tell Hogjaw you have my permission to give him as much liquor as it takes, just see that it's done."  Brimcon nodded, and Arathos continued on towards the Hold.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 06:35:52 PM
Aboard Stefan Vitec's Coach, somewhere east of Marheim, IC 2524

Otto sat straight and tall in his seat; his propensity for good posture was, in reality, an attempt to give him as much distance from this man as possible.  He wondered how this Stefan's servants were able to feed their master and not retch during the meals; he was barely managing to do it and he was a trained soldier who had faced the foul reek of river trolls on a hot morning.  He cleared his throat, and collected his thoughts.  "About seven years now, though at first I was in the service of the late Dieter von Melhoff.  I started off as simple footsoldier, wielding a spear and shield.  Nearly three years ago I was accepted into the Border Sentinels, the knights that work with the General, and was made Under-Marshall of my chapter sixteen months ago.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 06:44:51 PM
"Ah excellent, a man from the ranks, how novel. So Arathos controls many towns in the east? I bet he needs a lot of men to fight the various Greenskins and Human raiders in the area?"


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 06:47:31 PM
"The General does not 'control' a single town; we Dawnstriders are a force dedicated to the pacification and prosperity of the Borders."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 06:50:41 PM
"Ah, ah right. So the settlements pay money to the General for this protection? How much does it cost to keep all of the men under his command?" Stefan thought of this as good idea, though his idea of 'protection' was different from General Arathos' ideology.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 06:54:26 PM
"The General provides a unique arrangement; the various towns pledge their armies, and their young men of military age, to the service of the Dawnstriders rather than their own militia.  They also pay annual fees, payable in either coin or trade goods, to support their share of the soldiery.  In exchange, each town is allowed to rule itself autonomously, pass their own laws, and so forth.  The benefit is that each town is able to call upon an army far greater in size and strength than it would be able to field on its own; in addition, the soldiers spend their downtime doing works the General demands; paving roads, raising walls, and so on.  I'm not entirely sure how much the whole affair costs, but I cannot imagine it is cheap.  We have many soldiers, after all,"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 07:06:43 PM
"It is an interesting way of doing things." Stefan blurted. "Though there is so much profit to be made from conquering the nearby towns. Your Knights look spectacular, are they all Nobles from the area?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 07:10:40 PM
"The General feels that, under his system, things are better.  The people harbor no resentment to us, because we have not conquered them.  Yet, when we need the towns to work together, sign treaties, and in general follow our instructions, they know that to defy us is to risk losing our protection, and the prosperity it brings to them.  As for my men, I thank you for the complement.  Most of them are from the surrounding regions, and of common birth.  The General believes that advancement should be based upon merit than blood; he wants only the most skilled in his elite units, and cares not who birthed them if they are superior soldiers.  Those who are not from these lands, like myself, hail mostly from Talabecland."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 07:14:48 PM
"I can see you do things very differently this side of the River." Remarked Stefan, satisfied he'd been able to pry some information from the Captain. "Ah a Talabeclander eh? I'm from Southern Averland myself."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 07:22:53 PM
How did you ever get your corpulence over the mountains, Otto wondered to himself.

"Averland, good province.  Shame about Leitdorf, and the confusion that has followed."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 07:25:53 PM
Stefan waved a hand, the many jeweled rings glittering in the sun streaming through the window. "Pah I haven't been back there in almost twenty years. I'm sick of the Empire, everything is political there. This is a free land, the frontiers where a man can be a man!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 08, 2009, 07:28:18 PM
Or a pig.

"Indeed, Herr Vitec.  I have found life here to be very good; fighting for the Dawnstriders gives me a sense that I am doing something great, something that makes a difference.  A purpose in life is very important, especially for a soldier."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 07:42:11 PM
Hehe that made me chuckle

Stefan chuckled at the man's naivety. "Very well my friend, as long as you are doing something great, then I'll feel better. Though the purpose of a soldier is to follow his master's orders in my view."

Stefan made a large fake yawn, making to dismiss the Captain. "Time for my afternoon nap, I think. I'll see you at dinner."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 08, 2009, 10:00:38 PM
                                               The Enterence of Estalia








     The soil was thick, and damp. The air was cool and full of moisture. The sky was a ugly gray and the sun was nearly unseen. "These are ugly lands. . ." Leon thought to himself as he rocked gently up and down on the horse's back as it carried him down the road. He stuck out like a sore thumb, he was a tall, average built man with hawk like features and a short cropped Estalian beard, worst of all, he was dressed in reds, oranges, yellows, and other vibrant bright colors of Estalia. He was moving slowly down the road with the 20 other men, the others being heavily armed and armored caballeros, personal guard sent by Ricardo to protect Leon. Leon was new to this, traveling business, he did not enjoy the long boring trip. He felt he should of been the messanger picked to go visit the Empire, or Bretonnia, or even Tilea, but no. Leon was to be the messanger sent to the Border Princes. There he would visit each town, trying to speak Riekspiel to the local folk, trying to spread the word of his Lord and master. Trying hard to spread the word of Estalia being the better mercenaries, that Estalia was the true army to turn to if you wanted soemthing done. More then once though, the language barrier proved to be difficult but that was not bothered him the most. What bothered Leon and the men the most was, when a villager or guard announced "Some Tileans are here!". That really set the men off, they held no common ground with the Tileans and were far from being Tilean, at least, in their opinion they were. One such occasion was at the town of Chamberton, a local farmer walked directly up to the guards and Leon and began to talk in a very friendly tone. The conversation was very polite and went on for several minutes. The man soon asked where they were from and gained the answer of Estalia, to which the man questioned in what part of Tilea is that. The man was not able to speak for the rest of the week but his tongue did fully heal up, well what was left of it.

    Leon had come to his final straw, he could not take these "barbarians" any longer. Instead of camping outside the Town as always, the Estalians decided they would sleep inside. They forced themselves into the town and bullied their way into some free lodging for the night. Leon was polite the first few months of the trip, but now, towards the end, he had no love or care for these local people. Letting his guards roam free, he gave them but one order. "Have some fun and don't burn the town too badly." That night the town was alive with with crimes that orcs wouldn't commit. Sadly for the villagers, 20 specially trained, heavily armed, fully armored knights with a bad temper that has been suppressed for nearly a year, was let loose in one godless flood. Every pig was eaten, every house sacked, every shop pillaged, nothing was safe or sacred to the Knights. It was a small village of 60 people, compared to most local towns this wasn't even a dot on the map but they had numbers against the knights. It was 3 to 1 but the knights were something the townsfolk could never stand up to. Leon, staring out from his newly acquired bedroom, sighed tiredly at the scene. He watched as the knights kicked down doors and pulled children screaming and kicking away from their parents. He watched as every evil these knights could do to the town was committed. He watched it all, as if watching birds chirp or grass grow, to him it was nothing. He did enjoy the local wine though, Leon thought to himself that he would compliment the bar keep on his excellent find that was, if the bar keep wasn't dead on the floor of his own tavern.


    The next day, not a man nore woman was spared, they butchered the town leaving only the new orphans alone but alive in the smoldering town. Leon cared not what happend to the children, he knew that the town was someday going to be doomed by orcs and greenskins, in his mind he justified his actions. He thought to himself this was them simply removing some weak minded fools, bettering the human race. Through the day the Knights were happy, they joked of some of the acts they committed, almost boasted about some of the crimes they committed. Leon could not help but smile, these lands were truly lawless, these lands were ripe for the taking, he saw now his Lord's plan. After a hard days travel, those 20 knights went to sleep happy and full on the loot they gained from the town, Leon himself was able to comfortably go to sleep on blankets and sip wine before he slept... It was truly a good day.

    Leon awoke the next morning, nodding to his fellow Estalians as they too got up. Each knight began to dress themselves slowly, all of them were tired and slothful. A few brave knights chased the cobwebs out of their brains by splashing the cool mountain water against their faces. It sent shivers down the spine but woke you up quickly, Leon learned this himself. Feeling refreshed, Leon turned to his brave guards and spoke clearly in their native tongue. "We ride! Two days away from the next town, if we are lucky, they will be as stupid as the last! If we are blessed, they might actually have some work for us!" This was greeted by chuckles and nods, but all would agree, it was going to be a good day.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 08, 2009, 11:50:04 PM
Welcome to the Campaign!

Nice to see some Tile.. oops I mean Estalians let loose among the poor folk of the Border Princes. Not a happy lot are they? Your band of mean conquistadores.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 12:16:04 AM
Yes, welcome to this event! :::cheers:::

It seems the Border Princes are living up to there reputation, a complete mix of all kinds. :icon_cool:

By the way, I've been working on a list for the main towns, and rulers, and even the current heritage of their leaders, if you BPers pm me your emails I'll send out what I have for your review when I've completed my draft, and once it is finalized we can make it available for all who would like to use it, and update it across the scope of the current year.

"The Solland Effort of 2524" is intended to run in conjunction with the current calendar, and we can do the same thing here with this as well.  The neat thing is we have folks from both the Ex-Solland thread and here working together to co-ordinate what's happening both here and over the mountains in Wissenland.  If we all keep co-operating like this, what a story this will be. :icon_biggrin:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 04:18:33 AM
The caravan came to a halt long enough for Otto to disembark from the coach, and make his way back to his men.  As they began riding again, Otto tried his best to keep from scowling too obviously.  This...man, if he must refer to him as such, was perhaps the most vile individual he had ever encountered.  This man represented, to Otto, everything the Dawnstriders worked to stop and destroy.  They could not arrive at Schwarzbaum soon enough for his comfort; for the time being, he waited for this Stefan Vitec to halt the caravan again for dinner.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:35:27 AM
    The Estalians pressed on, traveling down the dirt road till they fell to its end. Knowing they would soon have to cross fields and hills, they prepared for a hard ride. The Estalians were comfortable with roads, but were more accustom to the lack of roads. The Estalians, either bored of the long trudge, or chipper from their raid, began to sing. They song in their native song a bawdy song of an Elf and her deallings with a randy troll. They joked at times, saying out of tune that they met a few women like that, and half of those were from the town they just sacked.  Over all, spirits were high and it made the two days travel much easier.

    The day was young, it could be called a good a day, it was in the Estalians' opinions at the least. The townsfolk, did not share such an idea towards the end of the day once the strangers made their stay. It was, in Leon's opinion, another "barbarian's" town, it was larger then the last, this could of easily held 200 or so people, and this one had its own palisade wall. The local peasants who were tending to their fields, looked up at the Knights and smiled. They had not a clue what these knights committed just three days before, and they had no clue they were still blood thirsty. Luckily for them, the Knights were not stupid, they knew such a town could not be bullied so easily by just 21 men. The Knights, in return to the smiles, tipped their crescent helms in a respectful nod and continued on. In their own native tongue, they spoke ill of these people, insulting them behind happy smiles. Leon himself found he held a giant grin from ear to ear all the while saying comments that would make a troll look civilized. It was one these peasants that Leon was busy insulting, that came up to the group. The peasant was a strongly built, stout bear of a man, he had sharp eyes and gruff features. The man, without fear, looked up and spoke in Reikspiel slowly, so that the strangers might better understand him.

"Who, are, you?"

   Leon, keeping the smile alive, turns to the man and speaks slowly himself, trying to mask as much of the accent as he can. As he spoke he soon found no matter how hard he tried, his r's rolled and his accent came thick. He was a messanger use to speaking to Estalian Lords, Bretonnian Nobles, or Tilean Merchants, not men the Empire... Leon barely grasped their language.

"I am, Leon De Cantabaria, an' these arr~e my, caballeros. We come for... uh... Trade? . . . Work. . . Job? Word vanishes the tongue... I speak bits, only your Ree'k'spela.''

    The peasant, being a man of patience, nods and listens to Leon butcher the language. He knew from past experiences that men dressed the way these strangers were, did not learn to speak his native tongue. He knew also of what Leon was trying to say, Mercenaries. It was an all too common trade in this area, men for hire were just as plentiful as orcs and goblins. The peasent knew such business matters were not for him to decide, but instead, for the town mayor to conjure up. Speaking slowly once more, the man looked up at Leon and stared him fully in the eyes.

"Come. Fallow me. Speak to Mayor."

    Leon, could not help but smile, for once a town with a governmental system, this was good, this meant people he could actually talk to. Hours went by as Leon and the mayor talked about business, each trying to express that the other needed them more then the other. Leon tried to say the town needed real soldiers and knights to protect it, the man tried to explain that the knights needed food and shelter, a place to keep the horses and tend to their armor. Both trying to cut a deal that undermined the other. Over all, it ended poorly, the Estalians took offense once the man brought up the idea of Tilean Mercenaries working for cheaper prices. This caused a flare of Drama for the rest of the night that drove the Estalians out of the Mayor's residence to the town's inn. There, the 20 knights drank the night away, Leon took to drinking much less. Leon kept himself sober, sober enough to talk and listen to the local gossip, learning about who in these lands was worth the trip to see.

    The Knights, having given up trying to gain the town's favor, became just temporary guestes. They enjoyed the local drink, enjoyed the local beds, enjoyed the local women, but most of all, enjoyed the local gossip. The Estalians spoke little Reikspiel but what they did understand, they understood numbers and gold the most. They heard of the local towns that had some coin stashed away, they learned of the rich lords of the area, they learned names. Leon had more then enough information to send back to his Lord's expeditionary force, he knew once those men got the word, everytown not showering them with money would be sacked and looted. He knew that soon, these towns better pay up, or their mercenary work may soon turn into the work of local raiders. But till then, this town was to be their home, it was large enough and it had enough distractions to keep the Knights busy till Leon could plan something, till then, all they can do is wait.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 12:13:49 PM
Alphonse was a man used to life. He had spent his entire life in the Border Princes, a life of hardship and toil where he had learned the skills of hunting and tracking in the sparse forests south of the Black Mountains. Because of this, the scene of devastation before him was not unusual, a deserted, half burnt village, its streets littered with bodies. His men picked their way through the rubble and corpses, looking at the tracks and trying to  understand the scene before them. To Alphonse, it looked like Greenskin raid, such was the death and destruction, but there was also signs of looting and ravishing which Greenskins most definitely didn't do. So it must be Human raiders, yet they hadn't taken slaves or horses, just slaughtered the villagers.

Alphonse and his huntsmen held a brief conference, to discuss what they should do. The village was not their concern, but their homes were nearby and could be under threat. After a few minutes the hunters hefted their recurve bows and loped away.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 01:51:36 PM
    Leon went back and forth from one end of the room to the other, over and over. He was restless, as were the men, they had their fun last night but they wanted more. They were soldiers, their job was to destroy, they grew up in Estalia fighting since they were old enough to draw a weapon and swing it. Sitting and waiting was not their cup of tea. A few of the knights came up with the idea of raiding a bit more, hitting a few of the weaker villages then run back to this village as shelter. Leon, could not disagree, he knew it was either give them something to vent their emotions on, or they will vent it on each other. Leon nodded to the knights, finally giving in. Leon gave once again just one order: "Bring me something nice, suprise me."

    The Knights were all to happy that day, they once again armored their bodies, sharpened their blades, and rallied their spirits. They had a butcher's work ahead of them, they could not help but smile. They road out of the village at a quick speed, fallowing some local directions to some smaller villages and camps, they choose the smallest targets, and the weakest people. To them this was not war, but sport, they hunted the townsfolk down like animals. They even invented a game, they would capture a few villagers and let them run free on an open field, giving them a head start of 5 minutes, they would then chase them down and the knight who scored the killing blow, got to go first with the next woman they saw. A system of points devised where the knight was awarded on where they struck the victim, and how much damage it did. They did this through the day, they stopped only when their sword arms hurt, or their horses groaned, either way, a path of destruction was always left behind.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 02:28:35 PM
Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum, IC 2524

Arathos busied himself preparing for the arrival of Stefan Vitec.  His handpicked greatswords were drilling in the courtyard, their armor polished and their tabards clean.  They would, ideally, be an intimidating sight when he arrived.  His scouts were busy watching the Western Trail, the paved road that was the beginnings of a sturdy, paved highway system that would, in time, link all the cities under his protection together.  He got the idea from a visit to Tilea, and saw how durable the roads were there; the locals claimed they had been made centuries, even millennia ago, yet still they were in place and usable.  The furthest point on the trail was broken, because they were still smoothing and paving the road as they went, and ideally it would both slow the procession of wagons and coaches down, and force Stefan to take note of their projects.  His hope was that the arrogant man would realize that the Dawnstriders commanded both military and economic might, enough to undertake such projects.  He made his way out of the hold, and on to Brimcon's workshop, to check up on the Emerald Wind, Brimcon's master project.  He was pleased to see it gleaming in the sun; the massive steam tank had been built to resemble a large sailing ship, though the "planks" along her hull were hammered and polished sheets of brass, atop a sturdy steel hull.  The device was big, even for a steam tank, and he knew that it would command respect even from the arrogant Stefan.  His next stop was to the various markets and shops, to make sure that there were sufficient supplies to feed his coming guests, and stables for their horses.  He did not know how large his retinue would be, but he would not be unprepared.  Finally, with most of his duties handled, he returned to the hold to don his own armor, and wait for word of new arrivals.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 02:45:47 PM
Somewhere in the Border Princes, IC 2524

Frederick wasn't sure why Otto, and not he, was chosen to escort this honored guest to Schwarzbaum, and it bothered him to be on routine patrols for the week.  Rheinhardt was personally attending to the patrols to the West, watching the lands under the Vitecs for any signs of aggression, and Henry had been called to Schwarzbaum with a sizable portion of his chapter to further impress this guest with the size of their cavalry.  Frederick, meanwhile, was riding out in the middle of nowhere, watching for orcs, raiders, or anything suspicious.  His day seemed boring, but he soon changed his mind when they came across a ruined village.  Frederick could not remember the name, but he did recall that the elders there seemed uninterested in allowing the Dawnstriders to protect them.  The hamlet was small, and assumed that it was far enough off the beaten path that enemies would not be a concern.  Apparently, they were wrong.

Frederick and his men examined the ruined village, and assumed it had been orcs; they'd murdered nearly everyone, and the place appeared to have been pillaged.  Frederick thought this was odd, most greenskins gorged themselves on the dead and took shiny things for themselves, but that was about it.  Here, the dead had been left to lie in the sun, and there were no crude paintings or dung sculptures of their deities; something was very odd.  Just then, there was the sound of something clattering on wood in one of the ruined homes, and Frederick and his dismounted knights drew their swords, marching over to investigate.  Something was hiding in the hovel, and they'd find out what.  Frederick, as the leader, yanked aside the door and saw the menace within: a dirty child.  There were more hiding in shadows, and they were all paralyzed with fear.  Frederick was astonished; this was not the work of orcs, they'd have killed and eaten the children as soon as the adults.  He put away his sword, and kneeled to the child, trying not to scare it further.  "It's alright, little one.  We're not here to hurt you."  He put his sword, still in the scabbard, on the floor.  The other knights sheathed their weapons and removed their plate helms, staying back from the door.  "It's okay, you're safe now."  The child whimpered, and soon whimpers turned to sniffles, which turned to bawling and wailing.  The others in the room followed suit, and Frederick and his men found themselves acting as surrogate parents.  They did their best to comfort the children, but all they could get from them was that "bad men" had come, and killed their parents.  Nearly all of them had witnessed it before their very eyes, and some told tales of even more horrid deeds.  One spoke of how his father was killed, then his mother ravaged before her son and dead husband, her throat cut open as he climaxed.  The child, of course, did not understand he was describing a rape (what the "bad man" was doing to his mother, he didn't know), but the knights understood perfectly.  Frederick's eyes were grim; they spent the next few hours feeding the children and giving them water, then discussed what to do next.  Frederick sent a small portion of his men back towards Schwarzbaum with the orphans, while the remainder of the company mounted and rode in hard pursuit of the trail leading away from the village.  They were looking for evil men, in (according to the children) "funny helmets and lots of red and yellow".  He would find them, and put them to the sword for their heinous crimes.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 02:58:15 PM
    The knights chased down their last victim, at least for this village. One of the knights, the most veteran of them, got the killing blow, landing his sword right between the shoulder blades of the fleeing peasant. The others, finally catching up, marveled at the clean slice. They spoke in jolly tones over the dieing man, letting him wither and bleed on the ground. It was a good strike, but not an instant kill. Rodreigo, the knight that was mentioned, dismounted and studied the wound his sword made. Putting his finger into the man's wound, causing him to scream in pain, he measured how deeply the blade went in. Showing the others how deep the blade went, they all agreed on the number 6. "Only 6 points?! I'm the only one who got a strike on him?! Bah, old women, the lot of you! Fair is fair, the next town, I get first pick of the women! Now mount up! Lets find some more!"

    The Knights mounted up and set out, traveling around looking for more victims to put to the sword. Always the same case left behind, the town sacked, the men and women butchered, the children left behind. They, in their minds, were soldiers, not monsters. They would commit some low acts, but a child was safe in their eyes.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 03:06:32 PM
Alphonse nocked an arrow to his powerful bow. The horsemen were walking along the deer trail, the one he and his men were following also. They were heavily armed and armoured, steel glinting in the sunlight streaming through the trees. He pulled back on his bow, touching the arrow to his cheek as he aimed down the shaft, his men were doing the same around the ambush site, aiming at individual riders, picking out vulnerable spots at the neck and armpit.

It would be the work of a few moments to scythe down the riders. Punching men from their saddles in a flurry arrows. But Alphonse had other ideas. He wanted these evil men to know what they had done and why they were going to die, he let out a low wolf call, a signal for his men not to loose.

He adjusted his aim with a swift motion, loosing his arrow just ahead of the lead rider, the point slamming deep into the tree some two feet from the man's head. With that, Alphonse nocked another arrow to his string and stepped onto the trail.

"Murderers, you shall receive judgement for your crimes."

He drew back on his string, aiming towards the surprised Dawnstrider's neck.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 03:12:38 PM
Frederick glanced over his shoulder; he could have sworn he heard something.  He then examined the trail beneath their horses, and called to his musician.  "What do you see?"
     "The trail leads east; the raiders were moving slowly, I think.  If we hurry, we might catch them, sir!"  Frederick nodded.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 03:25:58 PM
    The Estalians pressed on, liesurely trotting across the fields to the smaller villages. They soon didn't even press the horses hard, knowing the harder they work the horses during the traveling between the villages, the slower they would be in the hunt. They soon took to even dismounting and leading their horses on, trying to save them for the game. It no longer became a job of raiding and pillageing but instead of who can get the most points. The next town felt the wrath of the Estalians, the butchery turned to sport, and soon every villager was rounded up, alive and well in the center of the town. Rodreigo, in his broken Reikspeil, spoke to the gathered victims. "You.... Run... Now!" With that, Rodreigo began to hack and slash at the crowd of people, hitting and striking at those too slow to run away in time. The villagers ran screaming in all directions, the knights were all to eager to mount up and chase after.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 03:38:48 PM
Frederick whirled his horse around, astonished at the archer.  He wasn't sure what was going on, but he knew they were chasing cavalry, not militia.  His men, panicked, began to draw their weapons but Frederick better.  "Hold!  We're not the men you're looking for!  Everyone, stay your weapons!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 03:45:05 PM
Alphonse kept his bow trained on the leader, his huntsmen stepped from the trees and bushes around the cavalry, some twelve skilled archers armed with powerful hunting bows, short swords and a pistol each.

"What do you mean you're not the men we're looking for?! We saw what you and your friends did to those innocent villagers back at the settlement."

Now that Alphonse could get a closer look at the men, he could tell they were no mercenaries, they carried only limited provisions and all were bedecked in the same colours.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 03:48:30 PM
"We're not the men who destroyed that town; we sent the orphans back to our headquarters for safekeeping, we're following the trail of the raiders east.  We're soldiers, from Schwarzbaum."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 03:54:33 PM
Guys, don't want to interrupt the fun, but 20 guys on horseback from Estalia are only going to be able to create so much havoc, before larger forces in the Border Princes begin to respond.  And even enemies might find themselves joining together to rid themselves of a nusiance acting in a chaotic manner. :icon_wink:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 03:57:29 PM
((Thats the Idea, I'm just suprised its takeing this long, yay for confussion. Also remember, its only been 3 days.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 03:58:09 PM
((Why does it not surprise me that was your answer?   :icon_wink:))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 04:00:22 PM
((I feel like the glue that bonds people together... to fight me though. Yay, I'm sticky!))









((Side note! Only 4 have gone down, all of which small villages, same as the first, barely dots on the map. There is only 20, not an army.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 04:01:21 PM
Alphonse lowered his bow, his men following suit.

"Thats good to know, we're hunting those bastards too" Alphonse walked up to the Dawnstrider, offering his hand, "I am Alphonse de Bello, from the village of Vlasllaw, a few miles back. We were foraging in this area when we came across the village."

Well tbh, his men are the 'Police Force' and my huntsmen characters are local villagers


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 04:05:31 PM
Frederick took the man's hand in his gauntlet, shaking.  "I am Under-Marshall Frederick, of the Border Sentinels.  If you want to hop on, we're going to ride hard to the east to catch these men.  If not, we'll bring you the heads when you catch up."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 04:12:56 PM
Alphonse chuckled at this comment. "Mighty kind of you, But my men and I know these trails like our own noses, we'll catch you up fast enough" With a short nod, the huntsmen loped away once again, clutching their weapons.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 04:16:23 PM
Frederick did not wait for any more pleasantries, he spurred his horse and the knights were off as fast as the horses could carry them.  They rode for hours, relentless, intent on catching their foe.  After a few hours of riding, they came across the remains of a camp site; a burnt out fire pit, discarded bottles of wine and kegs, and half-eaten spoils laying about in the sun. These bandits had apparently been lazily making their way along, content to get drunk off their plunder and amble to their next target.  Frederick and his men found this to be great news; if they hurried, they could indeed catch up with the men.  The orphans said the attack was only two or three days ago, and if they raiders moved this slow, his knights could be upon them by sunset, or earlier!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 04:21:24 PM
((I feel like the glue that bonds people together... to fight me though. Yay, I'm sticky!))
Fog, I got to tell you, I've seen folks spoil these kinds of things before, and I sincerely hope you are participating to add to the overall story.  This isn't about anyone of us, its about creating a story centered around the concept of an effort by those claiming Solland heritage and their attempt to reclaim there ancestor's former glory.  The end result is intended for the Solland Effort to fail, but along the way this gives folks plenty of things to write about, reasons to play WFB, and maybe even motivate some of us to do some painting and modeling.  We support everyone's participation, and we are thrilled that this has now extended itself into the realm of the Border Princes, but we don't want anyone coming through and leading things off in a direction that detracts from the over all event that we are all contributing to, so let's be careful.  One way that has been working for us is to have a plan for how we want to take things, communicating via pm behind the scenes with others involved, and then coordinating our efforts (without spoiling creativity) as we post on the Ex-Solland thread and here in this Border Prince thread.  This event isn't intended to be competitive, but instead cooperative.  In the stories seen on the threads there will be sides in conflict with one another, but off the threads we are all cooperating together to tell the overall story as it moves towards its eventual conclusion. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

By the way, the event's original time frame was for it to last much longer than a typical campaign event usually does.  We have this thing set out for the course of 2009, and running the fantasy timeline to some extent in parallel with the actual calendar.  This gives everyone time to chat behind the scenes, develop stories, and incorporate games or whatever into the over all event without the pressures of a campaign style event.  Plenty of time for coordinating our efforts without needing to do things too quickly and thus enhance the fun. :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 04:34:23 PM
   ((Games Poet, I am aware fo your concern, and I think Toro can vouch for me, there is more to it then just these 20 Estalians. I've been a major player in Rp and stories for some time now and I can swear to you, I will never do anything to take the story off its path. If you look at the grand scheme of what is going on, only 20 men, a band of Dawnstriders, and 10 huntsmen are involved in this little side scene. It is by no means a major event nore to be taken as such. The majority of fluff and story has yet to be expressed, this was simpely a small enterence and it is being greeted as such. 40 men are not going to turn the tide of the world nore change and alter a story. This is truely just a side bit of Rp and fun that we are tossing around. The Main story line is between The main characters, these are all simpley, to be put in Startrek's terms, red shirts. Careful not to blow this out of porportion, I think you are seeing these events larger then what they are.))





    The 20 knights finished off the last runner. Trotting back they took a head count of the points they gained. Rodreigo, looks up up and with a slight sigh mumbles. "I only got 4 of the rats..10 points total. . . These towns are too small, the people too barbaric... Its loosing its fun already! Maybe, if we are lucky, a real challenge might show itself! Some green skins, or some real bandits eh?! None of these, peasant farmers and their pitch forks!" This was only greeted by grunts from the other knights. It was true, they did not enjoy this land, and they thought even less of the people. They did not see what Leon saw, they did not see what their Lord saw, they did not see why they were here. Traveling on in their Ignorant bliss, they left the ruins of the camp towns behind. Knowing full well these people did not have gold, nore riches, these were poor beggars to them...
   The knights crossed the great field and over through the farm lands, back onto the dirt road. Knowing if they fallowed it, they would come back to the town Leon was staying at. Rodreigo could not help but pipe up, "4 camp towns, 3 days, you would think this land would have some order, or something worth fighting eh?!" The knight closest to Rodreigo only grunted out, "You would also think the women would be attractive... Seems that's not going to happen either..." The men chuckled to themselves as they marched back to the town. To them, currently, it was a good day.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 04:42:56 PM
((I can vouch for Fog of Waagh; he's quite fond of little things like this that add richness to a story, but are too small to actually impact the greater goings-on.  From what I know of him, these are a handful of drunken conquistadors who are abusing their relative power compared to the villagers, and are going to get what's coming to them.  There's rarely attachment between Fog of Waagh and his characters; more than anything, I think he's expecting his brutish band to wind up a smear on the earth before they can do much else, and I'm happy to oblige him.  :icon_twisted:  So, let me think of a post to accomplish that...))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
I think he's expecting his brutish band to wind up a smear on the earth before they can do much else, and I'm happy to oblige him.  :icon_twisted:  So, let me think of a post to accomplish that...))

((Yep! *Pops the bubbles.* Back to the story!))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 04:58:07 PM
  ((Games Poet, I am aware fo your concern, and I think Toro can vouch for me, there is more to it then just these 20 Estalians. I've been a major player in Rp and stories for some time now and I can swear to you, I will never do anything to take the story off its path. If you look at the grand scheme of what is going on, only 20 men, a band of Dawnstriders, and 10 huntsmen are involved in this little side scene. It is by no means a major event nore to be taken as such. The majority of fluff and story has yet to be expressed, this was simpely a small enterence and it is being greeted as such. 40 men are not going to turn the tide of the world nore change and alter a story. This is truely just a side bit of Rp and fun that we are tossing around. The Main story line is between The main characters, these are all simpley, to be put in Startrek's terms, red shirts. Careful not to blow this out of porportion, I think you are seeing these events larger then what they are.))
Sounds good to me.  I wasn't seeing anything as being too large, just being certain with a newer participant to the event.  And I appreciate what you have said, and your participation.  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:00:30 PM
((In all honestly, I find this to be more filler fluff to pass the time as we wait for the main story line to progress. Since we don't want to Rush the main plot, we can take our time and play around with some side stories.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:01:48 PM
Okay, two-for-one here to make sure the neglected Stefan arrives today as planned.  Let's assume it took longer because he's so fat

The Gates of Schwarzbaum, IC 2524.

The gates to the city opened as the carriage of Stefan Vitec arrived, a few hours later than expected.  As Otto feared, the incomplete road broke a wheel on the carriage; however, it did force Stefan to exit and observe the delay, and take a good look at the condition of the completed road.  Otto noted that he'd said little, mostly observing and waiting for his staff to bring him a mid-morning snack to calm his nerves after the inconvenience.  Who knew what he thought of their road and ambitions plans?  The city itself was surrounded by a stout stone wall, with soldiers marching atop it on patrol.  The town had grown from a small farming village to a decent sized trade city, and the walls encompassed the current homes and shops, with the fields outside them.  As they made their way through the wooden buildings, they occasionally passed by walls or open parks, the remnants of older fields and walls as the city had grown.  Dominating the center of the city was Dawnbringer Hold, a decent sized fortress that had been damaged during Waaagh Gazrag! and rebuilt after the black orc was sent fleeing with his ruined horde.  The fortress' courtyard contained a section of heavy cavalry similar to Otto's, and armored greatswords handling the sentry duties.  They were highly visible in their polished plate armor, massive zweihanders either upon their backs or in their hands, depending on their post.  The gates to the fortress' courtyard opened, granting access to the caravan of wagons, horsemen, and Stefan Vitec's personal carriage.  Arathos waited in the courtyard clad in his best armor and sword upon his hip, standing alongside the massive vehicle that Brimcon had dubbed "The Emerald Wind", the Dawnstrider Legion's steam tank.  As the door to the carriage opened, Arathos moved forward to greet his guest.

A village of roughly 200 people, somewhere in the Border Princes

It took them the better part of the day, but Frederick and his men arrived at a town where the trail seemed to end.  He wasn't sure where the Huntsmen were, but it occured to him that they might know plenty of shortcuts and could be upon them soon enough (he doubted men on foot could beat them here, but he supposed skilled scouts made anything possible).  The knights rode into the town's center, and Frederick allowed the first bit of his anger to be vented in his demand to the people.
     "Who here has seen foreign horsemen clad in yellows and reds?!  Bring them out, or tells us where they went!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:08:35 PM
   A local guard, eyeing the bunch and seeing the symbol on their tabards, nods happily and approaches them. "I Know of who you speak... Strange men, funney Helms and a strange tongue about them... They road off. . . They were here for only a short bit. . . I heard they'be look'n for work... You here to hire them off? If so, I know one of them is in the Tavern still, he speaks a bit of our tongue, but he still keeps to himself..." The guard lazily points to one of the larger buildings in the town.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:11:23 PM
Frederick heard enough to give him a course.  He dismounted along with half a dozen of his men, the remaining number of his band stayed mounted and on the alert.  Frederick and his men stormed off to the tavern, walking inside without a word of warning or explanation.  As soon as he entered, Frederick scanned the room for this foreigner; he figured that the man he was looking for would stick out like a sore thumb.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 05:13:19 PM
Good old GP always looking out for us.
I'm under the impression (Correct me if I'm wrong), that these Estalians are a reconnaissance force for the much larger Conquistador army?


Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes, IC 2524

Stefan was glad to step onto solid ground once more, though the journey had been much easier on his turbulent stomach than he feared. Perhaps these new roads were a good idea after all... Arathos was waiting for him as he stepped down, arm extended in friendship, which Stefan took, exchanging greetings with the man. His small, piggy eyes were instantly drawn to a strange contraption in the courtyard. He started laughing loudly.

"My friend! We are a little too far from the sea for you to be building boats!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:17:04 PM
   Sitting at a table, drinking the local drink, can be seen Leon. He does truly stick out, his native clothes being of red and yellow. Currently, his crescent helm has been replaced by a larger hat with a grand feather plum stuck in it. On the table before him, are papers, quills, ink pots and other related instruments. He was mid writing something before the Dawnstrider burst into the room. Looking up, holding his quill still, he stares at them oddly for a few moments. He then carries it off with a shrug and goes back to writing on the paper.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:19:12 PM
Arathos gritted his teeth; he could see over Stefan's shoulder that Otto was losing what little patience remained within him.  Arathos simply chuckled, and turned patting the man's shoulder.  "Boat?  No no, my good man.  This is a steam tank, and it is here to give you, a most warm welcome."  The cannon mounted in the turrent titled towards the sky, and a thunderous boom was heard as the cannon mounted in the front fired.  There was no ammunition loaded into the barrel, only powder and packing to ensure a good salute.  The turret cannon followed with a gout of scalding hot steam blasting into the sky, demonstrating the power of the device.  Arathos turned back to Stefan, waiting for his reaction.

Meanwhile, at the Tavern...

Frederick and his men moved to the table, the six knights surrounding Leon as Frederick stared down at him.  "You, do you speak Reikspiel?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:20:36 PM
((Yes and no. These are just guards for the Messanger Leon. The actuall force, is a long way away, and even that can barely be called a force. It is the men under Donixote, so 200-300 men max. The Majority of the Estalian army is in Estalia, and will most likely never leave. So even still the Estalians lack numbers. I truely don't have plans to be a major player in this story, just like Arathos I'm off to the side throwing my stick into the lot when it needs to, maybe takeing sides, but for the most part, leaveing the major story plot to those who have a stake or tie in Solland. My Estalians are just like the Tileans, Mercs.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 05:22:03 PM
((In all honestly, I find this to be more filler fluff to pass the time as we wait for the main story line to progress. Since we don't want to Rush the main plot, we can take our time and play around with some side stories.))
Yes, sounds like you have a good idea going, and by the way, I like your avatar, too! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:22:46 PM
    Leon, looking up from his work, eyes the Man. Takeing the time to register what he had spoken, translateing it in his head. Nodding he holds his fingers up, nearly pinching his index finger and thumb together. "I speak.... uh... Little... You come for work, or do you have.... uh... offer?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:24:19 PM
Frederick nods to the knights at Leon's side, and the man would be rudely hefted to his feet as Frederick drew his sword.  "You're under arrest for murder.  Do you understand that, Tilean?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 05:25:39 PM
Stefan clapped his hands in delight. "An excellent machine, and now I see the true purpose of your roads. You could never get that monstrosity down a dirt track!" he exclaimed, while looking up at the sun, judging the time "Perhaps It is time for me to see what exquisite feast you have set for me" Stefan strolled past the General, making his way to the door, followed by a small army of servants.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:31:11 PM
    "TILEAN! TILEAN!?! Imbécil de espuma! I AM ESTALIAN! You mistake me fo' these Tilean dogs! NO!" Leon stands up, sending the papers flying and the ink pot rolling. The ink pot restes and ends its trip on the floor, sending ink everywhere.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:31:45 PM
Arathos sighed inwardly; this man thought of nothing but his stomach.  Luckily, he'd been prepared for this.  They made their way inside to their banquet hall, where indeed a lavish feast was waiting.  As they sat down, one of the servants huffed his way back to the kitchen.  He passed through the doors, and reached for a bottle of wine.
     "I cannot believe this!  The man who came here is as big as a cow!  At least!"  The cooks looked up at him, confused.
     "Man?  The General told ME he was bringing a crew of dwarven miners to eat, with monstrous appetites."  A steward handed a pair of wine bottles to the servant.
     "He told me elven traders were coming to drink, and as elves their thirst for wine was inordinately copious, and to have plenty on hand."  The men grumbled to themselves as wine and more food was sent out, to prevent the plates in the dining room from ever being empty.


Meanwhile...

Frederick raised his sword, the tip poking the underside of the Til- er, Estalian's jaw.  His knights moved to sieze the man's arms.  "Fine, my apologies.  Estalian, you're under arrest.  Will you come peacefully, or shall we gut you here?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:36:01 PM
   Leon, growling angerly, tried to find the right words. "I Have done nothing! I do nothing! I have been here! Ask eh.. .. eh  Man at big table! Man of drink! He tell you! I do nothing!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 09, 2009, 05:38:52 PM
The Walls of the City of Mortensholm, Northern Border Princes IC 2524

Jochem peered through the spyhole in the sally port.

“I can see nothing … I mean, there’s no-one there,” he whispered to the man next to him. “Let’s open it and go now, and pray we get to them before they have time to reload.”

Tomas and two others began winding the handle of the windlass mechanism, and the iron grate began to lift. They had taken the precaution of oiling the mechanism so that no sound would be made. Considering that the mechanism had not been used in years, and the grate and its chains stood in a little ditch dug into the ground for concealment sake, then the oil was necessary, if only to get the rusted gears and chains moving.

Five minutes later and the grate was as open as it was going to get. The forty young men began crawling through it and assembling in the shadows of the ditch upon the other side. Jochem had taken his bearings from the wall above, and now began to move forwards toward what he hoped was the gap in the stormpoles he had espied. The rest followed him, swords, axes and spears in hand, moving as silently as they could. The lack of torches or lanterns did mean they stumbled here and there, tripped and faltered, but none of this distracted them, nor did the ominous dark of the night sky or the eery glow cast by the burning city behind them. They had other fears on their minds.

Suddenly Jochem halted, and once more whispered to Tomas,

“There, that mound – they made that. It’s one of their bastions, and there are two mortars emplaced upon it. Can you see the gabions, and the light of the match cord in a linstock?”

“I think so,” answered Tomas. “I do see something. Are you sure it is the right place?”

“As sure as I can be. Pass the word back, in one minute I shall yell ‘attack’ and we’ll rush them all at once.”

That minute was the longest minute Jochem had ever experienced. It amused him that he had not counted to sixty like this since he was a child at his petty school lessons. Once he had finished his counting he kissed the blackened blade of his sword and screamed his command.


Thirty yards away Luitpold von Jorgen snapped awake. He had been drifting off, which was not surprising considering the day he had had and the duty he was now about. What woke him was a shout, close by – at least certainly closer than the wall.

“Attack!”

Luitpold stood and looked over the edge of the ditch. For a moment he was confused – for there was no-one there. He could see the bastion upon which the battery sat, and he could see the ground between it and the walls. But no source of the shouting.

“Capitano, look,” came the voice of one of his duellists.

Luitpold followed the man’s gaze and saw a body of men rushing from the shadow of the walls towards, well … towards nothing. At least, not one of the bastions. They were, it appeared, charging towards a mound of earth, behind which stood one of the army’s wagons. An empty wagon, apart from the wagoner sitting upon it smoking his pipe.

“Tonto!” said the man next to him.

“Aye, and soon to be dead!”

Within moments Luitpold was leading his own band of men towards the flank of the sallying men of Mortensholm.

When they engaged with the foe, it was a bloodbath. The duellists were mercenaries of many battles’ experience, fighters of skill and vicious cunning. Jochem and his men were apprentices, journeymen, farmers and herdsmen, not only unskilled in swordplay but also confused by two things – the sudden onslaught from their flank and the fact that there seemed to be no mortars ahead of them.

Before even half of a quarter of an hour was up, thirty three of the sally party were dead, six were back inside the walls frantically closing the sally port, and one, Jochem himself, was lying still in a muddy ditch desperately trying not to move, praying to Myrmidia that he might escape and live to fight another day, to exact vengeance.

The goddess was not listening.

“Buenas noches, amigo,” came a voice from the darkness. Jochem felt the point of a blade at the back of his neck, sharp as a needle and already drawing a trickle of blood.

“Stand up,” added the heavily accented voice.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
((Power to the Estalians!))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:47:12 PM
There are times when a man's emotions cause him to take leave of his common sense, his judgement, and his rationality.  During such times, half-suppositions, assumptions, and the like become iron-bound fact.  It was with such a mindset that Frederick had decided that this man, a foreigner wearing red and gold, was responsible for the slaughter.  It was possible he was wrong, of course, but that thought did not enter his mind.  His men dragged this fellow out into the street, despite his protests and the bartender vouching that he hadn't so much as left the tavern in two days.
     Of course, Frederick knew the slaughter happened before this man arrived in town, and that he led a band of soldiers on horseback like himself, so Frederick had reason to believe he was right.  Either way, he was not going to give this foreigner the benefit of a trial, or even a proper hearing.  Once they were in the center of the town, he turned to face him.  "You were west of here two days ago, and your men slaughtered an entire village.  We found the orphans you made there."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:49:13 PM
Leon, eyeing him, did what he does best... He began to act.
    "You speak of Tileans! I am not a tilean! I am one man! I am uh... here for buisness, I am not a -ahh... uh... what is word... Soldier?!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:51:57 PM
"They were dressed as you were, and wearing odd helmets, the same as your men were described as wearing before they left."  This caused Frederick to pause a moment.  "Where are the rest of your men?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 05:53:25 PM
Leon shrugs, playing the role of the helpless clueless fool. "I am messanger, man of word and paper! I no'know where men are... They uh... Not under me... I am jus' servent of my ... uh... Lord?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 05:58:25 PM
The language barrier was making this increasingly frustrating.  He wished they had brought the orphans with them, though another part of him felt that frightened children would make terrible witnesses.  He took a deep breath, and thought.  This man, and his soldiers, fit the description, came here from the west at the right time, and he had even stated they were soldiers.  Was this enough to condemn the Estalian to death?  His knights were getting anxious; they had made the decision in their minds already, and were waiting for blood.  Frederick now became concerned that, if he changed his mind, his men would defy him and slay the stranger anyway.

Ultimately, he made the decision to side with his men.  Someone needed to die for what happened, and this man certainly fit what they were looking for.  Besides, this was the Border Princes, people died here all the time, and this Estalia place of his was far enough away that no one would know what happened.  He nodded to one of the knights, who drew his sword and went to stand before Leon, lining up the blade to plunge it into the man's belly.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:04:37 PM
Leon, struggling, keeps pleading and begging. Mostly in his native tongue. Over and over he talks of his Lord and him being just a messanger. The Estalian was beginning to struggle by this point and causing quite the scene. Local villagers began to watch the commotion, finding it to be tonight's entertainment.





The 20 knights, trotted slowly down the dirt road, joking of their exploits. They could see the town by now, but it was still a good distance away. They were in no rush, and they were in a good mood, today was a good day. Rodreigo even began to sing another song in their native tongue. The song was a long soft one, but still just as vulgar as the last, it involved a dwarf and his love affair with a Tilean fish monger.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 06:09:06 PM
The Estalian's cries were interrupted, rudely, by the sound steel running through flesh.  The knight had been all too happy to follow orders, and plunged his sword to the hilt into Leon's stomach, twisting it before yanking it free.  The knights holding on to Leon's arms released him, and stepped back.  Frederick made his way back to his horse, and his men took this as a cue to get ready.  Their helms returned to their heads, the blank metal of their plate armor and helms adding to the grim manner in which they ignored Leon's pleas.  Frederick mounted his horse, but was at a loss as to what to do next.  They didn't know where the other soldiers had went, and he feared what they were doing.

Not to mention, a small part of him gnawed at the possibility he'd just killed an innocent man.  He was not enjoying that feeling.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:15:26 PM
    Falling down to the ground, Leon died painfully. His last thoughts were, at least I leave good body behind.

The Knights, traveled slowly down the road, singing even louder and louder. They hit the climax of their song with the note of "and thats where baby dwarves come from!" The knights were in good spirits and they felt even better, once again Rodreigo thought: "It is a good day."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 06:17:57 PM
The Mortar Emplacement, Outside Mortensholm, IC 2524

The prisoner was brought before Luitpold, the man was looking defiantly at the Imperial. "Thankyou, Allesandro, gather your men and carry out the Don's orders." The Estalian nodded and sprinted off with his men. Luitpold looked down upon the prisoner, his face and clothes were blackened with soot. The Captain took a firm hold of the man's collar, dragging him to the Don's Pavilion.

The prisoner was kept chained to a wagon some twenty paces from the pavilion, two stout guards watching over him. It was an uncivilised hour and Luitpold did not want to incur the Don's wrath by waking him.

---

Allesandro crouched with his men next to the pile of corpses, shouting his orders over the roar from the Mortars and the bustle of the crew manning them. The Duelists nodded as they understood the orders, hefting their heavy knives and grabbing the corpses.

As the dawn sun breached the horizon, it's light fell upon a grisly sight. A row of stakes had been set up before the gates of the city, like a row of vines, the heads of the raiding force set upon them like oversized gory fruit.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 06:20:35 PM
Alphonse watched the Knights walking their horses along the road from the long grass. They were singing a baudy song in their variation of Tilean, probably from Tobaro, Alphonse thought.

He let out a soft bird call, signalling to his men to keep tracking the horsemen.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 06:24:00 PM
The men started riding along the road that went through the town, in the direction the townsfolk told them they last saw the strangers heading.  They left the body for the moment; Frederick would return for it if they failed to find the enemies they sought.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:30:54 PM
   Rodreigo, turning to his men pipes up loudly. "One of you ride ahead and get Leon, tell him were home... and we have his drinky-drink!" One of the knights, grinning happily nods and urges his horse on. He broke off from the rest and began a fast ride towards the town, leaveing the rest to slowly trot behind slowly.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 06:33:43 PM
As the man approached the town, he saw nearly two score men in plate riding their barded horses straight towards Rodreigo's band.  The men, for their part, stopped as they saw him approach.  After a brief pause, Frederick yelled out "Charge!" and the entire company roared forward towards the hapless rider.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:36:31 PM
   The rider, rideing on in confussion, eyes the group advanceing towards him with a look of cruiosity. The rider slows his horse down and eyes the barbarians rideing towards him at the double quick. The other knights, seeing this from the distance, keep on trotting, thinking nothing of it. Rodreigo, turning to his knights once more speaks aloud. "Keep to the Right, give them room to pass, don't want to be in their way eh?!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 06:41:14 PM
The decision to keep to the side, they soon realize, may not be the best decision.  Rodreigo and his men are able to see the stunned man lose his head, literally, as a passing knight swings his sword right on target.  The Estalian's body topples off his horse, its impact with the ground obscured as they continue on, shouting and brandishing their weapons.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 06:46:16 PM
Rodreigo, looking in with shock, quickly turns to his men and urges them on. "CHARGE! CHARGE! Kill them!" The knights, forming up quickly, charge head on, swords raised and swinging. Rodreigo, letting the other men pass him, spurs his horse into the field, off to the side of the road, urgeing his horse as fast as he can away from the conflict. Rodreigo, for all his boasting, was truely a coward, and he expressed this fully by his escape. Rideing as hard as his horse can take him, Rodreigo leaves his men behind to hold the Dawnstriders back.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 07:05:23 PM
The lead rider had ran his horse hard away from the band of raiders, fleeing the charging Dawnstriders. Alphonse, rising out from the grass with his men swung his bow in a vicious circle, the strong wood punching them man from his bolting horse. The Estalian landed heavily on the ground with a grunt, the bottle he was clutching broken on the floor next to him. The Huntsmen surrounded the hapless man, their long knives drawn, their intent clear.

Rodriego's screams sounded out for a full ten minutes.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 09, 2009, 07:08:16 PM
The work was bloody, the Dawnstriders hacking away at their debauched foes.  In their murderous haste, the heavy knights had not even noticed Rodreigo's flight, or his screams.  They were intent upon finishing these barbaric invaders, and fought like men possessed.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 09, 2009, 07:11:02 PM
    The Estalian went down screaming, and would never rise again. Donixote, rose slowly in his tent, eyeing the guards posted outside the tent. It was a good day, Donixote thought, though he couldn't help but wonder how long it takes a messanger to run to a local town and come back. Shrugging, Donixote went back inside his tent, asking Diego how long they should wait before they send more. Diego, shrugged himself not knowing, nore really careing. The two officers had no clue their messangers were just killed, and in their opinion, it was still a good day.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 09, 2009, 08:05:26 PM
Checking in real quick and .... look at all those posts in the last 2 and a half hours. :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

 :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 09, 2009, 08:13:06 PM
Yeah... I had nothing to do today...
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 10, 2009, 02:18:32 AM
If I only had nothing to do any day.  I've had days like that, but it has been oh so long ago. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 10, 2009, 03:32:41 AM
    Donixote, standing over the table, could not help but snicker at some of the names of the towns. These towns truly had strange names, for an Estalian at least. The map was crude, but what could he expect from buying it off a Merchant. Though, Donixote could not help but find the humor of it all, the Merchant was Tilean, so for once he was not addressed or spoken to as if he was a Tilean. Donixote's thoughts were shot down when he heard, "We could just sack all of the towns and draw them out that way."
     Doni' could not help but shoot a scowl at the officer responsible for that comment. Donixote, in a tone a father would have with his child, spoke slowly and clearly for all in the tent to hear. "Have you learned nothing from Araby? The locals are just as dangerous as the armies... We can't work for the lords if their people won't let us in. No, instead we must play it smart... Ricardo would have our heads if we failed this mission all because we did some stupid acts."
    All of the officeres were gathered, talking amongst them selves, swapping ideas and information. Diego, gave his own sound advice, Donixote favored his friend's words more then the rest. His friend spoke of common sense, send gifts like spice, metals, and other trade goods hard to get a hold of in these land locked mountains. They would be a rare gift indeed and a greater peace offering, one hard to refuse. Not only, it would let them into the Lord's keeps and towns, getting a better view and tactical information on the local defenses. In Doni's mind, it was settled, they would send the gifts to the largest towns, and the strongest keeps. At first, he thought to himself, it would be small, a box of spice, or a cart of Estalian Steel, but it would then end with weapons, guns, and good Estalian horses. He knew he did not have much, but he could gain so much more if he found the right local lord to sell his services to. Nodding to Deigo, he silenced the rest of the officers before he spoke.
    "We will fallow Deigo's advice, Deigo, I want you to lead it personally. Travel to these towns marked on the map, give to each a box of spice, speak of trade and an Alliance with our camp. Have them trust us, have them accept us... Remember we are alone here... "
    Donixote looked up at Deigo, happy to see his old friend was smiling.
    "I will write to our Lord of the new plan, I know he will approve so do not wait for me to give the order... I want you to carry it out now. But for formalities sake, I will remain here with the bulk of our forces... Waiting for his replies. Take what ever men you need, but remember, we want to put on a good impression, take a few of the Arabs with you, they should rub off an Exotic look. Yes, send their horsemen, they will look Alien here... Perfect... I like it... DO it, carry it out my friend and be safe... The trip will be long for my messangers, your trip will not be as long, but remember your travels will be just as difficult. Greenskins and bandits roam the land, I would be insulted to learn I lost good men to some rabble. I will give 4 days to get there, and 8 days till you return with word or message before I send out the rest of the men after you. Oh, and while your out there, if you find my messangers, tell Leon he is late and I am disappointed, this isn't like him. Tell him he is lucky I am not his Lord, for truly, Ricardo would have him stabbed and gutted."
    Donixote could not help but smile as the other officers gave smirks in response to his last words. Doni' spoke his last words for the night before he went to settle his affairs.
    "Any officer who wishes to go with him, you may. The more the better, but remember, I will need a few of you here to keep the men under control."
   On that note, the officers split up, those who would stay with Donixote, and those who would go with Diego. It was all set into motion nearly the same instant, supplies were gathered and men assembled. Deigo himself could not keep the smile suppressed as he spoke merrily to his fallowing officers as they left the Estalian encampment.
   "Time to put on a good show, eh?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 10, 2009, 04:30:30 AM
Just a "heads up" for the Border Prince thread ... I'm still trying to finalize the first draft of the list mentioned previously, and my focus will be to get it out to Inarticulate, Toro, and FOW as soon as I can.  Long day expected in front, so you might not see something until Saturday. :icon_cool:

Also, I have another story piece for this thread, almost completed, that I'll be posting asap. :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 11, 2009, 03:27:03 PM
As dinner went on, Arathos and the various elders and mayors from the villages under his protection nibbled at their meals; the lion's share had been prepared, and was being served, for Stefan Vitec.  Arathos was pleased that he seemed to be in good humor, he seemed too arrogant to deal with in bad temper.  The copious amounts of food being served was to ensure that he stayed that way.  Arathos raised a glass of wine, and the other guests followed suit.

"Here's to the fine company of our esteemed guest, and the possibility of greater prosperity to come for both our lands."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 11, 2009, 04:40:08 PM
Stefan raised his glass to the toast.
"Hear hear, and to our honourable hosts, for putting on this excellent variety of foods!"

He also looked around the table, eyeing the other guests, seeing what manner of men they were.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 12, 2009, 11:05:09 AM
Between Beauport (Matorea) and Sainte Therese (Brasov), Border Princes, 2524 IC

Captain Ferdinand Weisefecther’s horse plodded through the spring mud as he led his column of soldiers north towards Sainte Therese, formerly known as Brasov before the newest Bretonnians had arrived in force.

It had all happened quite suddenly, as is so often told such things do.  Princess Sophia du Beaucamp’s crusaders had, as Ferdinand had learned after the surrendering of Matorea, landed on the coast near Somjek.  The small fishing town’s forces quickly saw that any resistance would be crushing and they surrendered without a fight.  Prince George Chabrier had been given the first conquest and immediately changed the name to Chambourg.

Then Princess du Beaucamp and her army, along with the various knights, men-at-arms, and bowmen of the the Dijonou, du Pont, Clemenaceau, Herriot, du Montfort, and Renoir families rode for Matorea itself.

Ferdinand remembered the day well.  It had been a very warm summer day, and he had been out on maneuvers with his cavalry unit when he saw the large unsightly dust cloud arise in the distance.  After determining the immense size of the column that was winding it’s way towards Matorea, he ordered his unit home to provide everyone with the news.

The Duke of Matorea, always having been a daring fellow, arrayed the Matorean military on a slight ridge to the east of the town.  Not a bad position as such things go, but how he expected to hold off the size of the Bretonnian force was the subject of much debate the evening before the battle was joined.  When the Duke awoke in the morning he discovered that only his own force remained, but his two wing commanders, leading troops from Alynda and Khypris, had abandoned the field.  The discussion held with his lieutenants had ranged from talk of how the size of their forces had been less than what the Bretonnians had prior to the desertions, to whether or not it would be wise to retreat as well, but the Duke insisted on at least showing a good stand before just giving up the field.

When the Princess du Beaucamp sent her herald forward to speak, the Duke himself had ridden out to meet with him.  Ferdinand had watched these events unfold from his position on one flank, and even without being able to hear from such a long distance away, he could tell by the body language of both the herald and the Duke that an offer of some kind had been made and refused.  The herald quickly turned his horse around and galloped back towards the Bretonnian line, while the Duke turned only to signal his men to advance.

Ferdinand’s eyes had gone wide with surprise as the Duke’s infantry began to walk forward.  He had felt powerless to prevent what he envisioned might happen next.  And it did.

At first the Bretonnians didn’t move.  A tall knight, riding at the Princesses side turned his head, and the two had a brief conversation.  Then the tall knight motioned to their army’s bowmen, and the arrows began to fly.  The Duke was struck in the first volley, and fell from his horse hitting the ground hard.  His soldiers behind him took casualties, and then some more with the second volley, just as the Matorean’s reached where the Duke had fallen.  But then the tall Bretonnian knight had ordered his cavalry forward.

The horses came at a heavy clip.  Ferdinand brought his well trained cavalry forward to fire their pistols in a weak attempt to help the soldiers who were all now beginning to see that their position didn’t look favorable.  And although a few knights fell to the blast of bullets, Ferdinand quickly realized that a retreat would be the only way any of his men would survive what was thundering in their direction.

At the top of the ridge, Ferdinand turned back towards what was happening below, and shook his head with disgust.  The results of the fight continued to look worse.

The Duke was no where to be seen in the sea of knights that had now charged their full weight into the Duke’s infantry.  On the left, the Matorean spears braced themselves, yet then taken to flight, and were now being cut down in large numbers.  And on the right, the Matorean swords didn’t seem to be fairing much better, but they did succeed in making some progress running back up the slope while the spears continued to be decimated.  The crossbows and handgunners that had remained behind on the ridge and fired with some effect, had now begun to make their retreat, too.

The end had come quickly, and Ferdinand saw no choice, but to save as many of his men as he could.  When they arrived back in Matorea, a white flag was cut, and this time it was Ferdinand who had ridden forward as the Bretonnians had approached the town the day after the massacre of the Duke and his army.

The Bretonnians had been relatively forgiving, seeming to be more interested in a benevolent dictatorship approach when responding to Ferdinand’s offer to have the remaining soldiers of Matorea serve their new, and he had carefully chosen this last word, lords.  Ferdinand had been at least satisfied with keeping his men from being imprisoned or pressed into labor, despite his harboring a desire to eventually throw off the yoke of Bretonnian rule.

Since then people of Alynda and Khypris had been rewarded by being permited to keep the names of their towns, but Arnalos, Brasov, Cabanal, Matorea, Mentreda, Moslac, and Zenres, had all had been occupied and their names changed respectively to Dijonville, Saint Therese, Charlesbourg, Beauport, Chateau-Herriot, Charleroi, and Saint Pierre.  All the towns had fallen quickly, the largest battle taking place at Zenres/Saint Pierre.  Ferdinand hadn’t been present, but he had heard that half the Zenre military had switched sides, and when the battle was engaged the Bretonnians had won the field, although Lord Renoir the elder was mortally wounded leading the climatic cavalry charge.

During the remainder of the Bretonnian invasion, Ferdinand had been kept back in Matorea to over see the reorganization of his units.  What little remained of the spearsmen were rearmed with halberds while the swordsmen’s ranks were increased with some of the local militia.  He also hired some local bowmen and trained them as skirmishers for both the swords and halberds.  The remaining crossbowmen and handgunners continued as units, although slightly smaller in numbers, and he retained command of his personal pistoliers.

And now, this was Ferdinand's first trip out of Matorea since the Bretonnians had taken over numerous towns and villages early during the previous year, but it was said that the Black Company was attempting expand it's terrority north of Sainte Therese.  Moslac had already switched hands again, and Princess Sophia du Beaucamp had decided to send north what was left of the Matorean army as a precaution to protect her new realm, while she also sent out messengers and scouts to acquire more information on what was happening elsewhere, too.

But at the moment, as Ferdinand and his men slowly made there way along the muddy road that would eventually bring them to Saint Therese, he knew it could be awhile before the time was right for a revolt.  And whatever happened in the days ahead, he would need to find a way to keep as many of his men alive as possible, if he was to have even a chance of someday overthrowing the current Bretonnian Rule.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 13, 2009, 06:49:17 AM
    Diego trotted along the road slowly with his force. His fellow officers joked happily amongst themselves and even included Diego on most of them, but over all everyone was in great spirits. The snare drums played loudly and the horns belched their music over the sounds of marching. Local wildlife was scared away, but local villagers flocked to the music. The locals watched the column of Estalians and Arabs advance, it was truly an Alien sight to them. They saw the Bright and flashy Officers lead the sharply dressed Estalain knights at the head of the Column. Behind the mounted Estalians were the mounted Arabs and their exotic curved weapons and baggy clothing. Trailling behind the calvery was the baggage train guarded by the rest of the force were men that peasants never thought to see, Tribesmen from the distant lands, Arabs from the South, and then the Estlians themselves, everything from peasants in soft browns to Estalian duelists in the best clothing one could ever find on the battle field. The sight was truly one to watch, it was a shame it was short lived for the force was small, one peasent mused to himself and thought he could only see around a 100 total soldiers... He was a bit disappointed and had his hopes up to be entertained by the passing army. The locals were use to larger armies of the Border princes marching through, being an hour before they all passed by. He could not argue that at least this force was the brightest and most interesting to watch out of them all. 
   
    Diego marched on through the day until he came accost a burnt camp village. The village was small, barely noticeable, he knew if it were not for the smoke plums rising from the burning buildings, he would never have seen it. He ordered his men to enter the village and investigate the newly found carnage. They searched the small camp village for anything of interest, only to find it was a waste of time and an ugly sight to behold. Diego could not help but have a face of stone in such conditions, these were civilians not soldiers, and to him it felt wrong that such folk were snuffed out of existence. In his mind he blamed the local barbarian lords, these Border Princes. It did not cross his mind that the carnage in front of him was the result of Estalians, it did not occur to him that these vile acts were done by his countrymen. Overall though, Diego still could not feel comfortable, he ordered the bodies to be lined up, blessed, then burnt. He felt he owed them some sort of burial right, he felt he had to do something with the bodies. He felt that it nag at him for some time if he did nothing to the bodies, he felt it would be leaving this bodies to be abused by crows and wildlife. So he set the men to work, they began to collect the dead and gathered firewood. Diego, being a man of religion, gave a prayer to his patron god Myrmida and then Morr, before he saw the bodies sent ablaze by oil and torch. Deigo, feeling a bit better from giving the bodies their last rights, could not shake off a sick feeling. This town was small, it happens everyday to small weak villages in these lands, but it could also happen to small forces. He knew he had a larger force compared to what he had in command of in the past, but this was still a small force that even an orc warband could destroy. He knew if he did not get out of these ruins soon, and if he did not press his men hard, he could fall victim to the next attack. Diego ordered the men out, and he did not want to seem like a tyrant, but he did not want to take the chance of being attacked. He ordered a double quick march, he gave his horse to another officer and began to run on foot himself. He helped push cannons and pull carts, he ran with the men and carried the flags. No matter what happend, the men were pleased to see their leader lower himself to their level, they enjoyed seeing their greatest officer look like a fool at times, but they knew he had good intentions and knew he was trying to show them he cared. But they still couldn't help but complain about all the running.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 13, 2009, 09:43:49 PM
The men seated around the table were wearing what they considered their finest clothes, dressed for a formal meeting with a dignitary.  To anyone with a discerning taste for clothing and fashion, it was obvious they were little more than peasants or somewhat-well-off merchants trying their best to look presentable.  The clothes were clean, free not just of holes but even of patching and other repairs, and the colors were not faded.  However, few (if any) of the articles were tailored and fit poorly, the colors limited to the cheaper and easier to find varieties, and the material was easily identifiable as coarse and cheap to acquire.  However, this just made Arathos stand out that much more in his polished plate and bright tabard, the deep blue cloak hanging from his shoulders.  The men around the table may not have much, but they clearly had more than they used to.  It wasn't too hard to figure out the reason for their growing coffers and improving wardrobes.  Arathos sat down after the toasts had been drank to, the elders of the various towns applauding Stefan's toast and a few drinking once more to his health.  Some seemed nervous compared to the others; perhaps they knew of his (or at least his brother's) reputation, and feeared what this meeting may mean.

"Well, I think I speak for the assembled leaders of the settlements under my protection when I say that there are many trade goods we could use from your lands.  Olive oil is a luxury few of us enjoy here, and would like very much to acquire.  If you have any spare barley, or wheat, we could use that as well.  I know many of the men here have decent fruit groves; cherries and apples fall for us in abundance in the autumn, and the elder of Garrenburg, Herr Wentz there," Arathos nodded at an older gentleman, dressed in perhaps the best of the clothing among the civilians, his hat capped with a long blue feather, "swears that the boars found in his lands are the finest and most succulent you will ever taste.  But, I suppose you shouldn't take my word for it."  Arathos nodded to one of the servants, and Stefan was treated to a view of the main course of their meal entering atop a silver platter: whole roasted boar, crusted with a cherry and apple brandy sauce.  The sweet and savory aroma filled the room, and Arathos waited for his guest's reaction.  There was an old saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach".  Perhaps, if Arathos was lucky, that route could also lead to a man's secrets, or even more.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 12:03:22 AM
The last few days had been hell for Frederick; nearby villages, all tiny hamlets, had been devastated.  The hunstman Alphonse had helped them follow the trails of the band of "Estalians", as they called themselves, to their various attacks.  All told, there were now over 50 orphans he was sending off to Schwarzbaum as a result of these predations.  All the children needed food, clothing, and their parents.  Frederick, for all his skill at handling emergencies, could only provide two of those three things.  It was hard on the morale of his men to deal with the orphans, but they did their best as they rode off with the second load of orphans in the hopes of catching up to the first riders.

Frederick had ordered the bodies of the 20 or so raiders burned and burned in a pyre.  The other, he hung from a gibbet, a sign around his neck in Reikspiel read "Do not trust men of this uniform, or who call themselves 'Estalians'; report them to your town's Captain".  Frederick was pleased with the results; he had recieved the blessing of the town's mayor to make the tiny settlement, called Pfarbad, a Dawnstrider Protectorate.  The handful of able-bodied men that could serve as militia, perhaps no more than 30 or 40, were being rounded up to head off to Schwarzbaum for basic training, and were being led by another of Frederick's obersts.  Frederick himself, and the rest of his knightly order, were going to stay in Pfarbad until the General (or more likely, Maialen) and some proper soldiers arrived to protect the place.  It was not a big village, certainly not worth the trouble in terms of profits, but he knew that the General would agree with the principle.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 12:36:32 AM
    Diego and his men were tired, they had moved at the double quick through the day. Diego could not help notice the closer and closer he got to the village marked on his map, that the people became more secluded or dashed away at the sight of the Estalians. He found it odd and thought little of it, giving it to the idea of the Arabs were scaring them off, or the idea of any soldiers in these parts were normally dangerous. Either way, Diego gave all the credit to the paranoia of a simpleton, he did not know of the Grim ward until he came to it. It was a grim sight to the men, and Diego once more dawned a stone face. It was Leon, in an Iron gibbet, his stomach ripped open and his neck supporting a sign. Diego tried to read the sign slowly to himself, "Do. . . Not. . . Tr-. . . Trust? men of this. . . uniform.. ." He gave up reading the rest of the sign, finding it to be useless since he already got the main idea. Do not trust men of this uniform, his uniform, their uniform, Estalia's colors... Diego ordered the gibbet taken down and Leon given a proper burrial, he was enraged, at the same time, fearful... These people were hostile, they killed messangers... the Barbarians... He thought hard and long about what sort of people murder a messanger, and if they were truly worth the effort... The idea bounced around in his head for a while before he dismissed it, he had his orders, he was to open negotiation, he would be an Arab's monkey before he failed his Lord and his best friend Donixote.

    Diego set up camp outside the town of Pfarbad, so the locals called it, finally giving his men the rest they needed. Diego was able to talk to a few of the locals, those who did not get the message or could not read, which seemed to be a fair amount, if not a majority. Over all, Diego could not get over the idea of people killing messangers... He sent his messanger in to the town with a small exotic guard, the Arabs. Alejandro was the messanger, a young man but smart, he was educated in the fine arts as a boy and was graced with an easy childhood. He could speak the language of Araby, the tongue of Tilea, and the dialect of the Empire, it came in handy for such an occasion and Diego had to give him the floor. It was strange for Diego, to send an officer as a lowly messanger, but Alejandro was the best at it.
   He advanced towards the guards giving his best smile and was greeted with cold calls, he was nearly put off from the start but Alejandro kept on pushing. He showed the guards he was unarmed and he held only gifts for the local "Lord" or "leader" as he tried to say. At times even referring to the local leaders as Warlords, or chiefs, this gave a slightly ignorant air but the message still came across, they wanted to talk to trade and business. They wished to see the "Mayor" as the guard finally stated for Alejandro.
    Alejandro walked through the village, eyeing the villagers as they gave him alien stares, he was not use to such people, nor use to the idea of being a stranger. It put him out of his element and made him stumble as he walked with the silver box filled with spices and rare goods. It was not much, not even enough to supply two keep kitchens, but it was enough to send as a gift and still hold meaning. Overall, Alejandro gave friendly greetings to the guards and villagers on his way, keeping sure to never loose his guide in the process. He eventually ended up inside the Mayor's manor and was told to wait for him, told he will be seen when the mayor was ready. Alejandro sighed nervously, but waited, he could not rub the idea of Leon gutted and hanged the way he was out of his mind. It still blossomed brightly in his mind, these were barbarians, they butchered messangers. The mayor, during this time, sent a servant out to contact Frederick at the soonest possable time, and that he was needed in the mayor's hold urgently.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 01:54:20 AM
Frederick watched from the second floor of one of the buildings, along with two of his knights.  One of the peasants had warned him that Estalians were coming, and Frederick intended to get the drop on the murderers this time.  His entire band was holed up in the various buildings of the town, armed and armored in plate, waiting for the signal to burst forth and butcher the lot.  He was surprised to see them set up camp outside the town proper, and eyed the boy walking towards the city until he passed from view.  A few of his men had traded plate for mail, though still wore the tabards of the Dawnstriders.  He was afraid that men in plate patrolling such a tiny community would set off the internal alarm of all but the most ignorant and incompetent of leaders; hopefully men in chain would be unassuming to them.  A knock came from the door behind him, and he turned and opened it.  "Mayor needs you at once, sir!"


Frederick strolled into the Mayor's office, eyeing the Mayor and the few guards there.  He had brought a couple of his men with him, and the Mayor motioned to the boy Frederick had spied earlier: a fearful lad who clutched a small silver box.  "He says he represents...uh, lad," the Mayor turned to the messenger boy, and pointed at Frederick.  "Tell him".
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:03:29 AM
   Alejandro stood up, nodding respectfully before he bowed deeply, holding the box up. Standing up, Alejandro speaks shakily at first, but soon gets his curage. "I am Alejandro Radrigo Deliman, of the Northern Provinces of Estalia.... I uh... Um... Have a gift from my Officer, Deigo Juan Almafi, follower of Donixote Cajigal De Pluma, loyal servant of our Lord, Ricardo Landi' Lord and Patron of Cantabarria, the Northern Province.  I bring offerings of peace and trade, to join our two people into a union of uh... peace?" The Estalian boy fumbles with the words, still trying remember all the words and translations.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:08:47 AM
Frederick was astonished: they send twenty men to butcher their towns, then a peace envoy?  He tried to calm himself.  Perhaps there was no connection.  After all, how was he to know what sort of realm Estalia was?  Would it be fair to condemn the Empire because a Wissenlander raider destroyed a caravan in the mountains?  Of course not, the Empire was far too large to assume one group of bandits was a fair example of the whole.  However, Estalia was far enough away that he'd never even heard of it.  It seemed suspicious that two separate bands would arrive this close together on totally unrelated business, and on the exact same route.  "I accept your gift, and would like to meet your officer, this Dee-ayyygo" Frederick stumbled through the foreign name, "and discuss trade and peace".
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:11:56 AM
   The boy instantly light up in joy, he smiled and bowed over and over. "Yes, Yes! Come come! Fallow me, he is outside the city, as we speak!" The boy let the box be handed off and quickly turned to join his Arab guards outside. He was extremely eager and overjoyed to show him towards Diego.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:16:49 AM
Frederick went with him, and the few knights walking with him eyed the Arabs.  They'd heard stories from people who knew people who went to the crusades in Araby, and they were leery of these people.  The knights inside clutched their weapons and watched, waiting for the slightest sign of provocation to strike at them.  He nodded as they made their way to this Deigo's tent.  He noted with displeasure that the gibbet was devoid of the late Estalian butcher, and he assumed his countrymen had liberated the warning sign.  Well, at least they knew what to expect if they tried anything funny.

He looked at the man in the center of the tent, and nodded.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:23:38 AM
    Diego watched the man enter his tent, he eyed him with respect as a fellow officer, but could not keep the hatred from his eyes. Diego viewed this man as a barbarian, in his mind he could not forgive the murder of his first messanger. Deigo, nodding with respect, begins to speak in a thick Estalian accent. "Ahola, I am... Deigo Juan Almafi, I am a. . . repre... Repre... worker for my . . . Donixote. . . I am... Commander as you say. You have... kept my messanger alive... time this... eh?! I am, pleased you come... Si, si..."
   Diego turned to his messanger giving him the floor. Speaking in Estalian, they speak rapidly and blast back and forth in their tongue before Alejandro turns back to Fredrick. "I will be the interpreter."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:30:57 AM
He nodded to Alejandro, then turned to Deigo.  "I am Under-Marshall Frederick Bach, a representative of the General Arathos, the Dawnbringer.  It is good to have such honorable guests."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:34:37 AM
   Alejandro fired the message quickly back to Diego who in return gave a response, smiling happily towards  Fredrick. Alejandro turning back to Fredrick with a smile. "Your not the leader? Diego respects this, but he wishes to find who he can open negotiations with... We are, if you can see or not, here for business..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:37:16 AM
"I can bring you to the leader, but first you must answer some questions for me.  Depending on what we learn here today, you could be on your way to meet out leader before nightfall."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:38:26 AM
   Alejandro quickly fired the information back to Diego. Diego, gaining a look of confusion turns to Fredrick and stumbles on the words. "Speak the Questions, eh?!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:39:06 AM
"Did you send twenty of your comrades through this area about a week ago?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:39:31 AM
   Diego nods. "Si."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:40:32 AM
"Those twenty men murdered nearly 170 people, and left 50 orphans behind.  Four small villages have been utterly ruined by them.  Did you send them to do this?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:42:39 AM
   Alejandro looks horrofied as he gives the message to Diego. Diego, gaining a look of shock, stutters and spits in Estalian. Alejandro, turning back to Fredrick shrugs innocently. "He gave no such orders, and he is confused by such a statement... Do you dare insult him? We found Leon our messanger dead and hung in a Gibbet... Do you mock us?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:46:18 AM
"This Leon fellow was convicted of leading those murderers."  Frederick shifted his jaw before going on; technically, the only thing he knew for certain was that Leon was Estalian, and the rest had been a rage fueled assumpted.  They were possibly correct assumptions, though still assumptions.  "You passed through the west, did you not?  You must have seen the first ruined village, and I can bring you the children.  They said the men who killed their parents wore 'funny helmets', and 'lots of yellow and red'.  There are bodies everywhere, I can't imagine you missed the slaughter"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:48:51 AM
Alejandro fired back to Diego. Diego gave it a long slow thought before he sighed. Speaking slowly and trying to calm himself, Diego spit his message to Alejandro who in turn gave it to Fredrick. "He is saddened by this. . . He wishes to apologize formally. . . He does not understand why his men did such an act. . . Where they provoked?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:52:03 AM
At this Frederick was at a loss.  "We don't know...the children from the first village said they came at dusk, and forced their way into their homes, and got drunk.  After a few hours, they started killing.  The children from the next villages just woke up to screaming, they had ridden in from nowhere and began killing.  Your messenger, Leon, insisted they did nothing before he was killed; he refused to admit that he was even part of the band."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:52:54 AM
   Alejandro, leaning in closely whispers to Fredrick. "Are you sure that is what you wish to say?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:54:22 AM
"Hmm...." Frederick considered.  "Instead of saying he denied being a part of the band, tell him only Leon would not tell us why they did this before he was killed.  The rest, I want to say."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 02:56:37 AM
Alejandro sighs and nods before he gives the message to Diego. Diego, eyeing them both closely speaks his words slowly and carefully. Alejandro bowing to his higher up, turns back to Fredrick. "He says, he can give only his apologies and is sorry for this event... He cannot give a straight answer, but he will have his men investigate this... Till then, all he can do is give his grievances."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 02:59:18 AM
"Tell him I accept his sympathy, and for my part apologize for what happened here.  It is unfortunate to lose a comrade, regardless of circumstances.  Tell him," Frederick pauses, trying to keep his internal doubts in check.  "Tell him that I'm sorry, that I hope this will not sour our future discussions, nor his meeting with the General."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:00:24 AM
Alejandro gives the message to Diego who gives it a moments thought. Walking up to Fredrick, he holds his right hand out flat, as if to shake his. "We.... Agree?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:03:18 AM
Frederick nods, taking his hand.  "We agree..."  He takes a deep breath, patting the man on the shoulder.  "I...we have the bodies of the others, their ashes at least.  If you want them for a proper burial.  Whatever I can do, to help..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:05:11 AM
   Diego nodded, getting the translation from Alejandro. Diego shakes his head, as if saying no, but he accepts the pat on the shoulder. Not letting his hand go unused, he patted Frederick on the back as well. All the while, Diego couldn't help but feel that he wished in his hand was a dagger, and the patting was stabbing.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:06:59 AM
As Frederick straightened himself and backed away from the emissary, he cleared his throat.  "Well, if you wish to meet the General, I can have a few of my men take you there as soon as you're ready to leave.  Is that acceptable?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:08:35 AM
Diego, nodded but held up his hand. Turning to his translater, he spoke his words quickly. Alejandro, digesting the message spit it back to Fredrick in Riekspiel. "Just him, or everyone? If it just him, he would wish I could come to translate, as well as a personnel guard."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:10:24 AM
"As many of his men as he wishes to bring may come."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:12:49 AM
Alejandro smiled quickly, awnsering for his officer. "All but a few will come, they will return back to Donixote to tell him what is going on... We can move out as soon as you are able... We are good at pressing the men, even if they are tired. Give us two hours to pull up camp and re-pack... We will march with you... "
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:14:53 AM
Frederick nodded; he did not trust the smiles of these Estalians.  Something unnerved him about it, but he could not shake the problem he had with the way he so hastily condemned Leon, and was eager to somehow make amends by being more patient and tolerant in his dealings with these men.  "When you are ready, send for me in the town."  With that, he bowed and went to leave.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:19:14 AM
Diego nodded and gave his goodbyes. When the "barbarians" were gone, Diego turned to his officers and ordered a meeting. "We will stick to the Plan... Be friendly, smile, act happy... Donixote will be following us, but he will be 10 to 20 days behind... We must play the part, give gifts, form trade, get these bastards to trust us... in the end we must remember, they are barbarians... But they are money bags in the eyes of Ricardo, and that is what matters... Alejandro, walk with Fredrick and be his left hand, I want you to be our key to negotiations." With that all of the officers nodded and went out to carry their orders off. Alejandro chased after Fredrick to talk small talk with him as the two hours passed by. The army was getting ready to move out and fallow these "barbarians."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:44:22 AM
As the time passed by, Alejandro found Frederick very terse and tight-lipped.  His mind seemed to be elsewhere as he watched the Arabyans and the Estalians pack their camp.  He would not accompany them himself, most likely.  He still had his patrol to handle, and wanted to wait and see if that Alphonse was going to return, or if his business with the hunstmen was at an end.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 02:52:17 PM
Alphonse had watched the Dawnstrider Officer enter the tent of the enemy. It seemed he was discussing something with their leader, perhaps a surrender of the village. The numbers of foreigners was much greater than the Dawnstrider patrol. Alphonse and his men crouched in the undergrowth, just beyond the treeline, away from prying eyes. Already some of the dark skinned heathens had come close to his position, seeking firewood, Though the hunters were experts at camouflage.

He and his men settled down to wait for the time to strike.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 03:13:07 PM
    The Estalian force packed up and began to slowly move, having still been tired and exhausted from the hard march to this area. A small band of Estalians moved the opposite way, each mounted and dressed in the classic conquistador style, they were intent on giving their message to Donixote, informing him of the new events.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 03:24:24 PM
City of Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The Siege was into its twelfth day now. Day and night the mortar shells had rained down upon the beleaguered city, setting fires across the settlement until it was a raging inferno. Now, in the virgin light of a new morning, Don Mattias Vitec, Voivode of Domzale, Duke of Moslac and Baron of the Vidovdan Reaches sat on his camp chair looking at the smoke lazily drifting from the smoldering ruins.

His interrogation of the prisoner had been long and pleasant. What remains of the corpse had been thrown into the nearby river. He had learned a lot about the city from the man, the plague claims had been a dupe and his forces were in no peril from storming the city now. Below his observation point he could make out his commanders bellowing orders to the Black Company, as they made ready for the storming of the city walls.

Earlier in the week hundreds of refugees tried to escape from the burning city, only to be cut down by disciplined crossbow fire. Now none dared set foot outside the walls. Matthias assumed that most of the populace had fled to the keep.

His engineers had built several sturdy ladders from the nearby forest, and they were being held by his pikemen - now dispensed with their pikes and favouring short swords for this particular battle. His engineers had also constructed a battering ram from a strong, old oak, capped with a bronze head. Crossbowmen lined the siege works, ready to fire onto the defenders on the walls.

Standing up with a sigh, Matthias stretched the old wound in his arm, it always gave him trouble in the morning and was a constant pain. He strolled down to the cannon emplacements, chatting with the engineers and artillerymen, enjoying the camaraderie. He loved his soldiers, they were as much a part of him as his aching shoulder and he knew many by name.

He moved on from the artillery emplacements and walked among his infantry - crossbowmen, pikemen and duellists, many of them veterans from Tilea who cracked jokes with their General as he passed. Matthias enjoyed these rare occasions when it was acceptable for their leader to walk amongst his men, he felt at home.

He strolled back to his camp chair on the rise, and with a flick of his fingers the cannons opened up on the walls around the gatehouse, hoping for a lucky shot on the reinforced wooden walls. On the walls, a few figures could be seen running to and fro, firing off pot shots with archaic muskets and bows.

Matthias sat back in his chair, his aides and runners close to him and waited for the moment to attack.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 03:56:46 PM
The Estalians traveling with Frederick's guides were led away from the city after they had finished packing their supplies.  The guides were to take them straight to Schwarzbaum, to meet with the General as soon as possible and to deliver word of the town's agreement to cooperate with the Legion.  Frederick, meanwhile, was busy making sure all was well in the village.  As the Estalians moved out, banners bearing the symbol and colors of the Dawnstriders were hoisted around the town's perimeter, clearly marking it as under their protection.  Frederick was not aware that Schwarzbaum was already busy, the General playing host to a large man that had just been served yet another course of dinner as the elders and Arathos himself worked to ply information from their guest.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 04:11:30 PM
Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes IC 2524

Ladislaus could tell his lord was getting increasingly drunk from the fine wines the easterners were plying him with. He had been Stefan's bodyguard for six years now and so far nothing had come to harm the fat man, and Ladislaus was determined this trade meeting would go well for both parties.

Stefan was now regailing the party with a crude story of a Tilean whore in Luccini and her dockworker pimp. This brought a ripple of forced laughter from the assembled commoners and a short smile from the General. Ladislaus was at the far end of the table, nearest the door, though his keen eye could see the General or his lieutenants did not touch the alcohol, staying sober while watching Stefan gorge himself.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 04:18:27 PM
"Ah, my good Stefan, your wit is truly deserving of praise.  It's been a while since we've had such a good time."  There was a general commotion of agreement, and a few more gulps of drink from the assembled men in honor of Stefan's name.  The servants were busy serving the guests their roasted boar, and made sure that Stefan's plate was always refilled promptly (to say nothing of his wine).  Arathos then cleared his throat, and spoke.  "So, perhaps we could arrange for a caravan of goods between our lands.  I'm sure the elders are willing to provide whatever we can at an excellent price.  In exchange, perhaps you could ensure that a stock of your famous olive oil makes its way to our markets, along with perhaps some barley?  We are always in need of barley, if you grow it."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 14, 2009, 04:21:53 PM
City of Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

Twelve days of hell. Twelve nights of a place worse than hell. No-one in Mortensholm had thought that the siege would go on this long. Where was their lord and master, Graf Edric? They had always trusted him, loved him even, but he had not come to their aid.

Could it be that he was dead, perhaps killed by the same enemy who now poured death in liberal doses upon their wounded city? Or perhaps he was made a prisoner, and was now in fetters being forced to watch the dying of his beloved home?

Utrecht Kateman thought it pointless speculating. All he knew was that he could not surrender to this Don Matthias. Not now he had stouted it out so long. If, perhaps, he had surrendered even within the first week, then perhaps good terms could have been had. Perhaps, even, he and his garrison would have been allwed to march away with drums and colours, and carrying their arms. But now that they had refused to treat for terms for twelve days, the enemy would be in no mood to show any mercy at all.

No, if they tried to surrender now, then no matter what terms were put on paper, the townsfolk and the garrison soldiers who survived would be brutally treated, roughly manhandled at the least; robbed and plundered for certain; butchered at the worst. And the last possibility, given the way in which the enemy hurled murdering grenado after murdering grenado over the walls, was a likely possibility.

So, no surrender. Instead Castellan Kateman gave the order for a retreat from the city to the castle, executed in stages, with an ever-decreasing number of militia men upon the walls. Those few left were to employ every trick they could think of to make it appear that there was no diminution of strength: fabricating dummies, lighting matchcords on sticks and constantly shifting their own positions from bastion to bastion and wall to wall.

By the time darkness fell on the twelve day, only fourteen men were in the city. Which was all to the good, because from the way the enemy were mustering, and the manner in which their artillery was now pounding at the same spot over and over again, it was plain that they intended an assault at any moment.

All fourteen men had been given their orders – at the first sign of an assault, flee to the castle. The gate would be closed as soon as the enemy were seen to be upon the walls or through any breach.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 04:28:03 PM
"Barley my good man? A rare commodity these days, our stocks were from Mortensholm, though I suppose it won't be long until we own those fields eh eh?" Stefan winked broadly, and smiled, showing bits of roasted boar stuck in his teeth.

"Yes yes of course, trade is always good! You'll have to make arrangements with my deputy! I'm not one for these facts and figures, it bores me! Though I am very much interested in what your lands have to offer Domzale. Perhaps our agreements can go beyond just trade, there's wars brewing in the north and these pesky Bretonnians are getting on my wick. Us Imperial descendants must stick together against the invaders you know!" He took another gulp of wine, the speech had taken it out of him.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 04:33:12 PM
Arathos nodded, taking a sip of his wine.  "Mortensholm, I think I know that city.  I was not aware you were in talks with them, Herr Vitec.  My envoys rarely visit other cities these days; how long ago did you begin negotiations with them?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 04:40:51 PM
City of Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The attack had gone well, suffering minimal casualties from some cannon fire from the keep. His men had assaulted the walls, finding none on there to defend them. The city was deserted, the inhabitants had fled to the keep. Matthias was pleased, the enemy were like rats trapped in a barrel now. He could starve them out easily, leaving a portion of his army free to do other duties such as take control of the local villages and dominate the inhabitants. One minor hiccup had been the ingenuity of the garrison, they really were a foe to be respected. Traps had been placed in certain areas, spiked pits in rubble and sudden ditches in the roads.

Matthias' new headquarters was the barracks building in the south of the city, made of stone it was relatively unharmed from the fires and made a comfortable place for the Don and his Captains. At once he had began to plan for the repopulation of the city from people in the south, farmers from Domzale were eager for the fertile soil in the shadow of the mountains. He also organised the blockade of the pass, enforcing a toll on traders and traveling merchants.

There was still the problem of the Graf. Him and his small army were somewhere in the foothills still and were a threat. There was also rumours of large troop movements in the north among both the rebels and Wissenlanders, Matthias would like it if that war did not spill into his budding realm.

Ammunition stocks were low after the bombardment, the mortars now useless without their lethal payloads. The small cannons he had were ineffective against the mighty stone walls, the ladders too short to reach the prominent citadel. His troops were in the process of scrounging the city for foodstuffs to replenish the ration stocks while long wagon lines trundled back to Domzale for resupply. Luitpold von Jorgen himself and his trusted Lancia Knights were protecting the vital wagons.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 04:51:16 PM
"Negotiations? Pah! The Don just swept their pitiful army away in battle! Just like Moslac and Vidovdan! The Don is almost a king! His lands encompass almost the entire northern region between the River Treblecz and the Tona Dante! My brother is a great man, really. He intends to give me control over Mortensholm and the Winter's Teeth Pass!"

Stefan tossed his cutlery to his empty platter and rubbed his enormous, rippling belly.

"My friend, you have given me a feast worthy! Now perhaps we can talk of things away from these commoners." He said loudly, to the shock of the village elders present.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 05:04:54 PM
Arathos nodded, rising.  "I suppose that can be arranged, Herr Vitec.  My servants will show you to a lounge where we can retire to discuss other matters.  Arathos turned to one of the guards behind him, leaning in close to whisper to the man, his words inaudible to everyone but the intended listener.

"Apologize to the Council for Stefan's rudeness, assure them I have the situation well in hand.  Send a rider to Mortensholm with all possible haste, one of Brim's huntsmen.  If the city yet holds out, maybe we can do something about it."  The guard nodded, and Arathos turned to follow the full and drunk Stefan to a private chamber.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 05:18:40 PM
Ladislaus followed Stefan and Arathos to the lounge. He was dressed in the Black Armour and short red cape that depicted his rank as a cavalry officer. Stefan was dressed a typical Nobleman in velvet doublet and hose, Ladislaus thought he looked like a fop.

Stefan sank onto the couch in the cosy room, making it groan loudly. "So Arathos, what're the Dawnstrider's views on the Bretonnians encroaching on the Border Princes? These foreigners have no right to be in this land!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 14, 2009, 05:23:28 PM
"Our official view is that encroaching on the sovereignty of the Emperor's lands could be considered an act of war.  The Border Princes may be a nebulous political entity, but many of them consider themselves subjects of the Emperor Karl Franz.  Their distance from Altdorf does not negate their rights as Imperial citizens.  As for those nations not sworn to an existing political entity," Arathos chose his words carefully here, not wanting to offend or risk a premature war with the Vitecs, "while they have reign to, to a degree, do as they see fit, our official view is that law, order, and peace should reign through the Princes, for the benefit of all.  I've heard word of these 'Errantry Wars', as they call them, and it is my fear that the Bretonnians are going to subject many of the people they conquer to their particularly harsh life as serfs under a landed lord."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 14, 2009, 05:32:06 PM
    The Estalians (and their Arab Guard) marched north with the guides provided. They found the landscape to ugly compared to rich golden lands of Estalia, and they found the people to be barbaric... Diego himself found the company of one of the guides to be unpleasant because he could not help but notice their odd features, pale skin, golden hair, and other such northern features, all of which Alien to the Estalians unless dealing with the neighboring Bretonnians. The more Diego thought about it, this truly was the farthest away from home he has ever been. He was familiar with being home sick but he was always in lands he was use to dealing with, these lands were truly alien lands with just as strange, if not stranger, people. Diego ended his thoughts with a grunt as he nodded to the guide's words, he did not understand what the man was saying, but he understood the hand gesture pointing off into the distance. Deigo smiled to himself and wondered what sort of lord ruled these lands, a barbarian no doubt, with long golden hair braided in tails, a long braided beard much like the dwarves, and an axe always at the ready to swing at his servants for not doing their work properly. In Deigo's mind they had to be barbarians, he justified this over and over in his mind by recalling the image of Leon's corpse in a gibbet. Diego mused through the rest of the trip, thinking over and over: "Damn barbarians, they kill messangers."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 14, 2009, 05:50:31 PM
Stefan nodded solemnly to Arathos' words. "The Don is having no dealings with these northerners!" If they decide to come near us, the Black Company will crush them utterly. I would be safe in saying that the new Bretonnian realms are next on the Don's agenda, access to the sea would be excellent for trade."

Ladislaus, in the shadows near the doorway rolled his eyes
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 05:17:02 AM
Arathos was a bit amused by the last statement, but tried his best not to show it.  It was obvious that Stefan was very drunk, and he intended to make the most of it.  "The size of the Black Company must be impressive indeed.  I would think that a large army would be needed to confront so many neighbors and the might of the Bretonnian nobility."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 01:05:00 PM
"Oh yes, a fine body of men, some two thousand veteran mercenaries we brought from Tilea, hard lads them all with their own suit of armour and weapons. The rest are local fellows, some three thousand - no doubt tough and have shown their worth fighting greenskins. I would say they're the best force in the Borders!" Stefan chuckled. "Excusing your fine body of men of course m'lord" He added as an afterthought.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 01:59:47 PM
Arathos nodded, making a mental note of the numbers.  "Much heavy cavalry, or mostly infantry and pikes?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 02:29:01 PM
"Bah, The Army has never interested me much! Matthias does all that. I am a Peace-time ruler. Theres this one fellow, detestable man, Luitpold Von Horgan or something. Ex-Imperial Knight, Reiksguard I think, well one of those flashy groups... he commands the cavalry I see them training on the fields most weeks, lots of dashing about fully armoured on horses, he's a laughing stock with the locals!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 02:32:36 PM
Arathos nodded, and went to a cabinet in the room, taking out a bottle and a pair of glasses.  "You drink whiskey, Stefan?  I have a very good batch here."  He made his way back to the table, pouring a glass for himself.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 02:35:47 PM
"Ah of course my fine fellow of course, be liberal with the pouring!"

Ladislaus was still standing near the doorway, watching over his charge. Arathos could tell from his body language that he was getting frustrated with Stefan's loose tongue.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 02:45:01 PM
Arathos nodded to the man in the doorway.  "Whiskey, my good man?"  The stern look he recieved in turn was answer enough.  He poured a modest, normal drink for himself, then poured a good double the amount for Stefan, offering him the glass.  "Liberal enough I hope."  He raised his glass in toast, then took a drink.  "So, you mentioned things besides trade that you were interested in discussing.  With your talk of the Bretonnians, I'm guessing your army is going to be on the march quite a bit these days?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 03:05:31 PM
"Pfft those foreigners don't have a leg to stand on. We'll crush them in one single battle. I'd wager I'll get some trophies from several Bretonnian Knights when I run them through! har har!" Stefan made a stabbing motion with his chubby arm. He then accepted the drink and began gulping it down.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 03:20:24 PM
The Barracks Building, Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The crowning was a hastily arranged ceremony. The Don wanted it done fast and with out any pomp. The spectators were the assembled Officers of the Black Company, the ceremony led by the Army's Myrmidian Chaplain. A crown had been made months ago by the one of the best Jewelers in Altdorf, a simple design out of white gold and opal stones.

Apos, Priest of Myrmidia was sweating profusely. He did not want to Make a mess of the ceremony, his head would be forfeit if he did. He read the words over and over in his head, hoping he did not stumble over them in a key moment. The Don was sitting on a large chair, patiently awaiting the ceremony to start.

As the time came, Apos stepped forward, carrying the crown. "Assembled Officers, Gentlemen and Ladies of Domzale! This is a day that will go down in History as being one of the greatest! The Honourable Don matthias Vitec, will take the titles given him by right of conquest and honourable war! The Goddess Myrmidia favours The Don, bestowing upon him gifts of her trade! With her blessing and in her stead I shall crown Don Matthias Vitec King of Karoly! Voivode of Domzale, Duke of Moslac, Baron of the Vidovdan Reaches and Graf of Mortensholm! Goddess save the King!" With this Apos placed the crown on the Don's head.

The assembled men repeated: 'Goddess Save the King!' this loudly, the sound reverberating around the high ceilinged hall. The Don simply smiled, stood, bowed his head and walked off to the side, taking off the crown and passing it to one of his aides. He was not a man for finery.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 04:29:18 PM
"Hmm...well, surely with such might, you do not need a tremendous number of allies.  Perhaps you could tell me then, what you are looking to gain beyond trade and revenue in your visit here?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 04:34:47 PM
"I haven't consulted the Don about this, but I have a proposition for you. If we sign a non-aggression pact we will allow you military access through our lands. Such a war between our two great countries would be not very profitable. We may even allow you to make territorial gains to our south against the Bretonnians."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 04:38:13 PM
Arathos raised an eyebrow at the offer.  A non-aggression pact with Domzale, if they honored it, would leave them with a free hand to clean up nearly all the Eastern Princes, from Black Fire Pass and Mad Dog Pass down to Barak Varr.  Not to mention, he'd been concerned about the rumblings of Bretonnian invaders, and military access would allow the Legion to march to war against the invading lords in defense of the helpless villages caught in their path.
     "That is...a tremendous offer.  Are you sure your brother would agree with your decision?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 04:50:41 PM
"Pfft Matthias listens to everything I say, I'm basically the leader." Scoffed Stefan, Arathos could tell that he actually thought this.

At this point Ladislaus stepped in "I think my lord Stefan is ready for his bed now General, I shall take him if your servants could direct me?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 15, 2009, 04:53:51 PM
Arathos nodded.  He had learned as much as he could from the drunken oaf, and he had no intentions of agreeing to a deal with a man who had no clear power to enforce it.  "Of course."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 05:02:55 PM
Somewhere in the Border Princes, IC 2524

Alphonse was glad of their work this day. He had stalked the enemy for several miles now and hadn't been detected.

The high point though had been the capturing and execution of the enemy officer. They had captured him around noon when he had come into the woods to relieve himself, there they had taken him and carried him several miles ahead of the column. His head had been placed on a sign post, his arms and legs sliced off, the meat just left in a heap below the head. Alphonse thought this would be a clear message to the foreigners.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 15, 2009, 06:48:45 PM
    Alejandro walked up and down the length of the tent, he did not think Diego would be gone this long. Alejnadro sat down in Diego's command chair, wondering what could of happened... It wasn't right, it just felt wrong for Diego to be this late... Alejnadro could not help but worry, that was until the Arabs came bursting into the room holding Diego's mangled body. Alejandro, out of shock and fear, sat bolt upright, nearly vomiting... He stared at Diego's corpse, he could not keep his vision focused on the body for long. Relieving his stomach of its fluids, he looked up at the Arab guards. "Bring me... Uh... Myrmidia, oh my goddess... Uh... Bring me all of them! All the officers! ALL OF THEM! Tell them nothing, do not spread the word, NOTHING keep this silent! Oh no, this cannot be! Uh ough!" Alejandro dismissed the guards before he went off to the side to vomit once again.

    All the officers gathered together, no matter how strong, or how veteran they were, they too could not help but feel sickened by the sight. They were gnashing their teeth and shouting at each other, they could not help themselves, they were worked up in a rage. But then it all dawned on them, who leads this host? Alejandro was selected a few times by the officers for the simple fact he was of noble birth and was able to talk to the savages... Soon, most started to agree, they voted Alejandro as head of the new host... they all nodded in agreement and waited for the boy's orders. Alejandro, who during the whole meeting was slumped in the chair starring at Diego's corpse, blocked everything from his mind, thinking of only this couldn't have happend. He was snapped out of it as a few of the officers picked him up, asking one thing over and over. "What do we do?"

    Alejandro could not help but cry, he could not prevent the tears stream down his face, he knew Diego, he loved Deigo as a father, they all did, it truly was a tragedy. Alejandro, still crying, gave the orders to the officers in one clear command. "Make them pay... BRING THEM TO ME! ON A PIKE IF NEED BE!"

   That afternoon was filled with conflict as the Estalian officers rallied their units to their banners, they organized the main force and went about slaughtering and capturing the locals, the guides, and anyone else in their way. Those who fled were captured and sent back to Alejandro, those who stood their ground and tried to fight back, were butchered on the spot. The Estalians sent one message through the land, they are out for blood now. They did not pillage, they did not plunder, they only scoured the landscape for miles around for the one responsible. Alejandro sorted those that were useful and those that were not, the guides he kept alive as they held information he could use, but for the most part a lot of those captured held nothing usefull. Alejandro, after beating and executing a few useless locals that he could not get information out of, turned to his loyal guards and spoke four words under his own sobbing and crying. "Bring me Fredrick...Alive"

   
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 07:22:05 PM
Alphonse, now dispensed with his bow due to lack of arrows, sat with his remaining men, chewing the last of the venison jerky. Jason, Hans and Lock had all been killed by the enemies, Alphonse now knew them to be Estalians, a devilish race from the west beyond Tilea. They acted like the small band that preceded them, murdering scores of villagers and now, Alphonse and his men, exhausted and close to starving had started to rethink their plan of fighting them, they were a much more disciplined force and their new leader was effective and intelligent.

The huntsman checked his pistol and ammunition, enough powder for just two shots - this was not good, soon he would have to resort to his knife. Enemy cavalry were just over a mile away, scouring a village for armed men. They would have to move on again, they needed help soon, or they would be dead.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 15, 2009, 08:57:22 PM
    Alejandro stepped outside the command tent, fixing his plummed helm so that it doesn't slant off to the side. He still grieved Diego's death, but he had business to do. Alejandro turned to one of his guards and ordered all the prisoners to be brought up and that the numbers be presented to him. A few moments passed but eventually the tally did reach him. A lowly officer gave the information to Alejandro after showing where the prisoners were. "400 or so captured sir, about 100 put to the sword and roughly 12 of our own died in the conflict do to ambush... Small numbers sir, but we didn't have to go far before people started to fess up... We captured a few who after some... persuasion told us the names of their comrads... It was a band of them sir... They've been stalking us since we first sent our messangers... We put them to the sword shortly after they told us everything they knew..." Alejandro walked up and down the length of the tent once more in a nervous habit.
    "So they had nothing to do with Fredrick, or the Dawnstriders?"
    The officer, shifting slightly at his new commanders words, coughed a response. "Sorry sir, he did not... They did it out of revenge."
    Alejandro turned to his subordinate and smiled halfheartedly. "Let us hope our Arab friends do not rough him up too badly... I feel as if I acted out of haste and anger... Thank the Goddess I did not order him executed on the spot..." Alejandro looked at his feat, much like a child would when they feel disappointed in themselves. "Prepare an apology for Fredrick, send horses to replace the guides we did kill, release the other guides and give them full apology... Oh damn it all... Let me see the captured villagers, I will talk to them. Let us hope, for their sake as well as our own, they tell us everything we need to know. . ."
    The villagers were assembled in a circle, surrounded by hostile Estalians and aggressive Arabs, they were not abused nore harassed, but they were threatend when they tried to leave the circle. Alejandro came upon the scene and immediately put on a poker face, he tried to wipe all the emotions off his face. He stood on a crate, recently placed by his loyal guards, and he began to speak to the mass of people.
   "Some of you may know why you are here, others may not... For those of you who are innocent and do not know why you are here, I shall explain... Today one of our greatest men was killed today. There was no honor in his death, only cold malice... It was an assassination, only brutality and evil was intended. I do not want to do this, but I too will show the same evil as the assassins did! I will put you all to the sword if those of you who did this, do not step forward!"
   At once the mass of people began to scream, yell, talk and plead. A few moments passed as the crowed rambled on without reason, but it was ended when two men stepped forward. In Truth they knew nothing of the assassination, but they acted as if they did. They threw themselves at Alejandro's feat and confessed false truths. They both spoke of how they organized it all, stalked Diego and killed him when he was alone. They did not speak much of details, trying to keep it vague and short. Alejandro could tell they spoke lies, but his fellow officers were not as perceptive. Alejandro gave in to his officer's words spoke once more to the mass of people. "I Order these two men to be hung until they stop kicking! May the Goddess have Mercy on their souls... The rest of you, are free to go... You will find your homes safe, and your lands at peace... We got what we were looking for... Get them out of my sight." Turning away from the people and stepping off the crate he turned to his officers once more. "We got the confessions you asked for... but I swear to you, there are more, there will always be more... I want everyone to keep bodyguards next to them at all times... No matter what you are doing, keep them next to you... that is an order... We will make camp here till the Arabs bring Fredrick back, I will need to speak to him... These are dark days... even darker to come."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 15, 2009, 09:29:38 PM
From a tree Alphonse saw the new leader speak to the hostage townspeople. He had lost three more men to the dark skinned heathens - fearsome uncivilised fighters with cruel swords. His pistol was now useless, though two more enemies weren't breathing because of it, all he had now was his hunting knife, his men were the same. Their only hope to turn the heathens back now was to retreat and seek help from nearby soldiers. From the way Frederick was still alive, the huntsman assumed he was in league with the enemy, so the Dawnstriders had turned their backs on them. Some twenty miles northeast was the town of Moslac, the Duke there was known to take an interest in the nearby villagers, even though he was a Bretonnian. Alphonse decided this was his best bet. The only problem now was how to travel there with these enemies everywhere, they had picketed their horses only thirty or so yards from the camp - they would not be able to steal any without raising the alarm, but they'd have to try, at least.

The Huntsmen waited until darkness.

Creeping forward, the spotted a Dark-skinned heathen sentry armed with a spear and a small round shield. Alphonse hefted his blade, crouch-running towards the man. He made ready to plunge it into the man's neck, but at the last moment a bird hooted nearby, causing the sentry to turn, spotting the hunter, the man cried out in alarm, shouting in his strange tongue. Alphonse hurled his dagger, stabbing it into the man's eye before running towards the picket line of horses. His band were close behind him. As they were nearing the horses, un-armoured estalians came dashing to intercept them, brandishing their thin swords menacingly. The huntsmen leapt to fight them, Alphonse, being unarmed kept racing for the horses, clutching the bridle of a brown mare and leaping to it's back. He turned to watch his men being butchered by the skilled Estalians, being no match for the veteran swordsmen.

Alphonse kicked the horse into a run, making his way north. He could hear pursuit behind him, but dared not look back.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 02:05:24 AM
   The Estalians spurred their horses on, screaming all the while for the man to halt. They smiled, knowing they finally found their man. A smarter fellow drew his pistole and did not aim for the rider, but aimed for the horse. He took careful aim and held his breath, waiting for the perfect moment before he pulled the trigger. He smiled happily as the bullet hit its mark and cracked bone, he urged his horse to halt while the other Estalians charged forward, spurred on by the shot.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 16, 2009, 03:44:35 AM
Frederick paced irritably in his office.  Murder of the Estalian officer, now his guides were dead, villagers terrified, and he had only a small band of knights to dig into this humble town hall if they chose to attack.  Granted, they were in plate armor, and the enemy had few ranged weapons; if they chose to attack, it would be a long, bloody ordeal to defeat him.  His mind reeled; who would kill this Deigo fellow?  And where in existence was Alphonse and his huntsmen?  He thought they were going to return after scouting out the Estalians.  That was his assumption, but they'd been cooperative so far.  He panicked for a moment.  The men were looking to him for answers, but he was not sure how to proceed.  The Estalians were between him and reinforcements, and he could not risk any more of his men dying to send a message.  The answer came unexpectedly when a messenger from Alejandro came, asking him to meet with them immediately.  He was not certain whether or not to trust the boy, but he figured he had no choice.  At least the messenger came bearing the surviving guides and fine Estalian steeds as an apology for the innocents slain, as well as Alejandro's apologies for the misunderstanding.  Frederick decided to take the chance.  He went to his musician.
     "Josef, you have command of the unit until I return.  I will try to reason with these people, and end this peacefully."  With that, Frederick donned his armor, his favorite cloak, and rode off with the Estalian escort, silently praying to Sigmar and Morr for his deliverance or painless death, respectively.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 03:55:09 AM
   Alejandro sat in Diego's chair, holding his head in thought. He nearly shouted at the guard to leave him be, until he noticed it was Fredrick and his Arab guards. He sat up and smiled, trying to hide his grief once more. Trying to keep his accent hidden, he spoke slowly and sternly to Fredrick.

"So. . . I will be blunt... What do you know?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 16, 2009, 03:58:48 AM
"Very little" he replied, not in the mood for formalities.  "In fact, I'm relieved this was not a trap with the intent of killing me.  I was preparing the town for the General's arrival, expecting him in a week or so.  I also was waiting to see if some scouts from a nearby village, who had helped us earlier, might return to the town to speak with me and make future arrangements for their home village.  A few hours later, I received word that your men were on the rampage, and that my guides were last seen being taken prisoner or fighting to the death against your Arabyan guards.  A few hours after that, and you send apologies and the prisoners you took, and invite me here."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 04:04:20 AM
   Alejandro sighed, he sat down in the chair lightly, nearly bursting out in tears once more.

"Pardon me. . . Diego has been killed... It was an assassination... A local band did it, we know only a few names... We killed many who confessed, today we put to the gallows two men who claimed to be the ring leaders... I know in my heart they were not... But I cannot do much more, the only thing I can do is butcher the populace and make sure I get the killer... But that would dampen our relationship... Now, I will say this... I want to talk to your Lord quickly... I want to get out of here before my own life is taken... Not only... the sooner I give word to Ricardo that the advance is safe, the sooner I can go home and get out of this hell hole... Donixote will be gaining word from Diego, I do not know how he will re-act knowing his best friend has been killed, and I do not know how Ricardo, my lord, will act... In trueth, I will be honest, I do not know what to do... "
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 16, 2009, 04:11:57 AM
Frederick walked over to the boy, sighing.  The burden of leadership was just as heavy upon him, it seemed.  He may have been more prepared to put on a strong facade and deliberate within the shrieking chaos of his own mind, but that was the trick of experience.  He sighed, and stopped just short of the boy.  "Neither do I. The General has already received the orphans, and certainly some of the more terrified locals are already fleeing to Schwarzbaum to announce that more Estalians have killed his guides, and are on the rampage.  I do not know if he will wait for word of me, or charge forth to do battle.  It appears we are both in a perilous situation, my lad.  But, I have no desire to let this bloodshed spiral any further out of control."  Frederick offered his hand to the boy.  "If you are willing to put aside fear and suspicion, and work together to end this peacefully, I will do likewise."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 04:21:01 AM
   Alejandro looked up, the boy was too young for leadership, he was too use to comfy living in Estalia... Alejandro spoke slowly, his words being watered down by his accent once more as his emotions take control. "I, I would love to work with you... But you do not understand... messangers went off to talk to Donixote and tell him Diego will meet him at Your Leader's stronghold... Those two were like brothers... I do not know how he will act... Let alone, I do not know how Ricardo will act. . . All I can do is send letters. . ."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 16, 2009, 04:27:53 AM
"Then we must inform him that men here have killed him, and that myself and the other Dawnstriders wish to find who is responsible, and had nothing to do with this murder.  It is tragic, and I know he will be emotional, but the best we can do is hope that this, leader of yours is a man who can be reasonable under duress."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 04:38:47 AM
   Alejandro gave a giant sigh, he was already grabbing the quill, ink, and parchment. "I will write these letters and send them on the fastest Arab horses, but that is the most I can do. I must say, I feel it would be in our best interest for you not to leave my sight... We cannot risk any more bloodshed, nor any more miss-communications... We need to get to where it is safe for me and my men, NOW... and I want you to take us there... Donixote will be marching towards the location Diego gave to him... Ricardo will be doing the same, fallowing Donixote's information. If either gain word that Diego has been killed they will demand blood, I assume... so I will be sending back the heads of those we considered to be the Assassins... They will also be marching here as fast as they can... Donixote's numbers are the same as my own maybe smaller, but he has the cannons and firearms... Ricardo has the full army. . . A large one at that."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 16, 2009, 05:03:46 AM
I'll accompany you then.  If we hurry, we can make the journey in the course of a single day.  And we must make haste; whoever is responsible may not be satisfied with just Diego, and may not discern between me and you.  If they come for war, well, the General has fair numbers, but would be loathe to spend them on a single front."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 05:10:35 AM
   Alejandro nodded, he finished the night writeing orders and ordering the camp packed up... The soldiers were all ready to move to move out in the morning.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 16, 2009, 07:34:26 PM
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

Thomas Vitec looked through the spyglass at the lone rider racing down the hill toward the town, he was followed by a band of gaudily dressed men on small, shaggy ponies. As the fugitive approached the defensive earthen rampart, his horse collapsed on him, blood leaking from it's hindquarters, obviously the result of pistol or handgun fire. Domzale men raced forwards, helping the man and dragging him to safety. Thomas looked to one of the two cannons he had at his disposal and nodded to the gunnery engineer, a split second later, the cannon boomed, hurling a warning shot towards the pursuers, landing some twenty paces left of them. The Arab cavalry stopped and retreated to the top of a hill, out of range of the cannons.

The rider was back on his feet now and Thomas strolled over to him. He looked to be a hunter, his clothing ripped and torn, small scratches and wounds covering his body and arms. The man was noisily gulping down some water from a skin, the liquid flowing down his chin and pooling on the floor.
"What is this all about then man, spit it out!" Thomas ordered.
"Foreigners m'lord" Alphonse replied "Been marauding the local area, coming this way, they're in league with the Dawnstriders, hundreds of 'em."

Thomas nodded to the wounded hunter, before strolling back to his officers, relaying what he'd learnt. "It all makes sense now, what with the troop massing at Marheim, and now they've employed mercenaries to spearhead their assault." He turned to a pair of runners "You, send a message to Captain Tolebey at Vidovdan, tell him to send out cavalry groups, there are Dawnstrider villages just fifteen miles from him, tell him to hit hard and strong." As the man raced away, he turned to the other runner "Take a team of horses, make all haste to Domzale, tell Captain Garius to send the four hundred men of the reserve here with all haste. From thence make your way to Mortensholm, inform the Don of what is happening here."

Thomas turned back to looking eastward, wondering what the Dawnstriders had done with his brother.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 10:05:07 PM
   Mustaf Alda'musfa gibbered in Arabic to his comrads while the Estalian in the group was busy swearing as he loaded his pistole. Mustaf took a deep intake of breath before he turned to the Estalian, speaking slowly and trying to think of the correct Estalian words.

    "I will, take message back to... Lord... You stay, Keep watch?"

    The Estalian, having finished loading his weapon, nodded to the Arab, speaking quickly and giving no care if Mustaf could keep up or not.
   
   "Yes, I will set up camp here in the woods, to stay out of sight... Tell the Commander our exact location and tell him we have hostiles... Seems its more then just an assassin... seems to be a whole damn nation of the bastards. . . Tell the Lord they have Cannon..."

    Mustaf gave a solemn nod before he spurred his horse on, he rode as fast as his Arabian horse could take him. The Arab hit the main road and was making his way to Alejandro's camp until noticed it was not there. He saw signs of Alejandro's force already on the march, such as dropped possessions, buttons, bullets, half eaten rations and more. Swearing under his breath, Mustaf tried to spur his horse even faster to catch up to the advancing army.

   Eventually Mustaf made it to the head of the column, he was greeted by swords and drawn bows as Alejandro's guards went on the defensive. Declaring who he was and giving the message in Arabic to the guards, they gave him free pass to Alejandro, knowing full well they could trust their fellow countrymen. Alejandro was a bit paranoid himself having drawn his sword and firearm but was soon relieved as the guards explained the story. Alejandro did not interupt Mustaf as he explained every detail of the hold, instead Alejandro nodded and urged his horse to trot off in the direction of the other officers when he was done. He told them what he had heard, sadly for Alejandro he stirred up a hornet's nest.

   Later all of the officers agreed, they would send Alejandro with Fredrick and the personnel guard to the Dawnstrider's Hold, but the rest of the force will remain here, camped outside the enemies hold. The Force outside the city would be under the command of Antonello Eugino Celio until Donixote's force arrives in 4 days. Antonello was a hard man, an old calvery officer who fought everything from Greenskins to Arabs and was use to brutal tactics. This was no different for Antonello, he did not want to be bogged down with a long siege against the hold, but he would keep his military might on display. Antonello began plans on building an earthwork fort just outside  the range of the enemies cannons, there he could command the army safely as well as hold a secure position until Donixote could arrive with the cannons and warmachines.
   

   Mustaf returned to his comrads as fast as his horse could carry him, he told them of Antonello's new "promotion" and what the army planned to do. The Estalian in the group nodded sadly, he knew in his heart this would not end well for him...
   Later that day when the Estalian army was digging in and Alejandro was riding north with Fredrick, Mustaf and the group carried out their orders to ride up to the Enemies hold, flying a white rag tied to a lance. The officers, who were currently standing on top of the artificial hill their men just created, watched the riders advance to the enemie's hold. Mustaf was a different story, he took in a deep nervous breath and nodded to the Estalian next to him trying give him reassurance. The Estalian, gaining some confidence from his Arab comrad began to shout as loud as he can.: "We come to talk! Open gates, send man of Diplomacy!"
   
   
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 16, 2009, 10:20:28 PM
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

Thomas watched as the enemy force was digging in. The Estalians weren't the force he imagined, though he assumed this was just a vanguard and the main force, perhaps Dawnstriders would be reaching the settlement soon. Thomas had under his command over two hundred men, mostly fresh pikemen recruits, the only veterans being fifty or so Black Company crossbowmen and the two cannons.

Reports had been coming in from the north, Tolebay had been good in sending his men out in all haste, his raiders already hitting a Dawstrider protectorate village late yesterday afternoon, with many more raids planned by more units.

A small band of horsemen were riding sedately towards his position, the nobleman stepped onto the earth wall ramparts to get a better view. They were Estalian for sure, with what looked like Arabyans, Thomas had never seen an Arabyan, they looked hardy men. One of the men shouted something, Thomas only heard snippets over the wind, but the last word of 'Diplomacy' was quite clear. He waved over to the crossbowmen, signalling for them to put away their weapons.

He breathed in a lungful of air before bellowing out: "Send your man in!"

He stepped down from the earthwall, adjusting his Blackened armour.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 10:24:43 PM
   The Estalian looked at his Arab guards before he took in a deap breath once more. Spurring his horse on, he trotted ahead of the guards, leaveing them behind. Stopping at the gate the Estalian dismounted and adjusted his own armor, trying to rub the dirt and blood off his armor. He stood there, waiting for the Lord of the hold to arrive.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 16, 2009, 10:29:10 PM
Thomas, fully armoured with full face barbute and carrying his personal standard scrambled up the earth wall and down the ditch, avoiding the sharpened spikes in there. He strode over to the Estalian.

"Speak your piece" He said, his voice sounding metallic from within his blackened helm.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 10:35:33 PM
   The Estalian straightend his back and stares the main striahgt on. "My Lord is Antonello Eugino Celio, Servent of Alejandro Radrigo Deliman, servent of the late Diego Juan Almafi, follower of Donixote Cajigal De Pluma, loyal servant of our Lord, Ricardo Landi' Lord and Patron of Cantabarria, the Northern Province. Sir Antonello wishes you give up the Assassin who has recently taken refuge in your hold, turn him in to us and none shall be harmed... except him naturally."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 16, 2009, 10:44:39 PM
Thomas ignored the request, "You have encroached upon the lands of his majesty, King Matthias I of Karoly,  Voivode of Domzale, Duke of Moslac, Baron of the Vidovdan Reaches and Graf of Mortensholm. You will retreat immediately and return to us our member of the royal line. If my demands are not met, we shall open fire on your force." With that, he turned around and marched back to the ramparts.

These fierce words were basically only show though, the outer defenses of Moslac could not be held for a long period of time with the men under his command. If assaulted by the Dawnstriders stationed at Marheim plus these veteran mercenaries, he would be forced to retreat to the Bridge and wait for the re-enforcements from Domzale.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 10:52:47 PM
   The Estalian road back to the quickly growing earthworks. He told Antonello everything that the man said, Antonello could only responde with: "What member of the Royal line?"
   The Estalians were confused, and did not how to act, so they stayed... Antonello soon thought of a solution that could get him the time he needed. He ordered the Estalian to run back with haste to the enemie's hold with his message. The Estalian mentioned, gulped down his fears and road back with his Arab guards, flying the white rag.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 16, 2009, 11:06:08 PM
Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524

Stefan was enjoying his stay in the Dawnstrider hold immensely, after a hearty breakfast of a side of ham, heavily sweetened oats and a stack of fried bread, he was now engrossed in a game of chess with the Dawnbringer. Stefan boasted his expertise at the game, claiming that he could have played in the grand tournament at Nuln. Little did he know that Arathos was letting him win easily, though the General was so in control of his expressions, Stefan could not tell.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 16, 2009, 11:16:44 PM
  


    The Estalian felt sick, he didn't like riding alone, and he hated messanger work just as much... He swore to his Goddess if he got out of here alive, he would give up gambling and other vices. The messanger road up to the gate, he began to shout once more. "I Bring word!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 05:07:39 AM
Arathos boredly observed the chess board, and pondered what move to make next.  He loved chess, and found this to be the most challenging game of his life.  It was immensely difficult to lose convincingly to someone as inept as Stefan, and he found himself trying hard to make his moves poorly executed, but not obviously incompetent.  He moved a bishop out of reach, claiming a knight triumphantly.  He knew this was the right move; he could let a little bravado show, and still lose.  He saw Stefan setting a trap for him three turns ago, and this move would doom his king to Checkmate.  Sure enough, Stefan laughed and took the opening, praising Arathos for his cunning and challenging game.  Arathos nodded politely, growing very weary of his guest.  Just after a handshake and discussing whether to reset the board or tour the town, a knock came at the door.  "Who's there?" he asked.
     "Sir, it's Brim."  Arathos walked over to the door, opening it.  Ladislaus stood guard outside the door, eyeing Brim as he waited.
     "What is it Brim?  I asked not to be disturbed, I trust this is important."  Brim nodded, his face was somewhat pale.  Few things bothered Brim, and he could tell this would be one of them.  Brim handed him a letter, and he opened it, reading quickly.  "No...is this accurate?  You're certain?"
     "They just arrived last night; Maialen's been arranging care for them."
     "Fifty orphans...all in the past few days.  We have to-" Feldon turned round the corner at the end of the hall, blinking as he saw Brimcon at the door.   "Feldon?"
     "General, sir."  Feldon offered a polite salute, and nodded to Brim.  "Did you tell him already?"
     "About the orphans?  Yes, I was just doing that now."
     "What?  What orphans?  I mean the Estalian; Frederick's outside with one, he says it's urgent, that there could be an invasion of the Border Princes in the works or something."
     "What!?"  Arathos yelled, startling Stefan and his bodyguard.  Feldon nodded, and Frederick came around the corner shortly thereafter, with a troubled look on his face and a confused, worried lad in garish gold and red colors following him.  "Frederick!  What is going on!?"
     "Well, sir."  Frederick sighed, but before he could answer, another soldier came running around the corner, nearly crashing into a rather annoyed Feldon.
     "General, sir!" the man offered a salute between pants.  Arathos dismissed it with a huff, clearly annoyed.  "Sir, the Black Company has attacked our borders!"  Arathos' eyes widened; he'd been had!  This fat fool had kept him preoccupied while his brother took advantage of the peace to attack!
     "That's impossible!  I have a personal envoy of Domzale right here, finishing his breakfast!  We've been playing chess, dammit!"  His anger was bubbling to the surface.
     "Reports from near Vidovdan state that a small hamlet was raided in the late afternoon yesterday.  The messengers have ridden nonstop to get here sir, since the attack.  I've just sprinted from the gatehouse to deliver word of it.  They burned it to the ground, and stole any livestock they could."

It was a very tense moment in that hallway; Stefan Vitec and Ladislaus were almost certainly aware of their perilous vulnerability within the Dawnbringer's grasp, and now word of war was upon them while they were seperated from the heavy cavalry they'd brought as guards, who were likewise within the courtyard and easy prey for the marksmen on the battlements and the greatswords that drilled daily from sunup to sunset.  There was a desire, of course, to make them pay for their treachery on the spot, but Arathos hoped no one would try anything stupid before he had a chance to process all that had been said.  He had no intention of killing Stefan Vitec or his men; he sincerely hoped this was a misunderstanding, and it could be straightened out with a simple discussion between Stefan's hasty relatives and himself.  For now, he turned to the fat man sitting on his couch, and awaited some sort of explanation, or reaction at least to this most...unexpected news.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 05:15:37 AM
   The boy, Alejandro, bowed his head in respect before he puffed away in a thick Estalian accent. "The word to describe the situation is disorder... We need to talk!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 05:28:19 AM
Arathos turned to Stefan Vitec, holding a finger up.  "Please, my good man, wait here.  I give you my word that nothing will happen to you as long as you stay within the hold."  He then nodded to Ladislaus "please, stay with him if you like.  Lock the door, do whatever you feel makes you feel secure.  I'll send for some wine and cold chicken"  Arathos nodded to Feldon and Brim.  "Summon the others, please.  Quickly if at all possible."
     "Ye nae need to tell me twice, lad." Erberk squeezed out from a trapdoor in the floor, startling everyone present.  Another dwarf was seen slinking away in the shadows of the trapdoor.
     "What are you doing down there?!"
     "Drinkin' with Hog, lad."  Erberk belched and strolled over, thumping Arathos' thigh.  "Let's get a move on, I've nae got all day."  Arathos sighed wearily, and he followed Erberk along with the others.  The last think he saw was Ladislaus shoving a heavy table over the trap door as Stefan shut the door.  It did not take long to assemble all seven of the Strangers in the meeting room, along with Frederick and Alejandro.  As the door was shut, Erberk extracted his pipe and began smoking as he usually did during meetings, while the others waiting impatiently around the map-engraved table for the boy to speak to them.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 05:43:08 AM
   Alejandro took in a deep breath, a bit nervous being by himself, but he knew the situation demanded he be strong. Letting the air escape his lungs in one giant sigh, Alejandro prepared himself for his speech.

   "About a month ago, my Lord Ricardo sent Donixote Cajigal De Pluma to scout out the lands of the Border Princes for lords and patrons to hire our services... As we were on the march here, we divided the force in two, Diego Juan Almafi lead the second force. We sent messangers in advance, but they never returned and we were told they were killed by the locals... Your Fredrick here did the honors, so I am told... Diego himself held negotiations with Fredrick and solved the situation, ceasing all hostilities. We were happy the situation was solved until... later that day Diego was assassinated... We were thrown into confusion and I was pressed into the seat of command. The officeres and I, agreed to round up every villager and gain confessions from them, any who resisted was put to the sword, any who had information were questioned. We killed a few of the ring leaders, as well as two who confessed to be the leaders.  Later that night, once again, we were harassed by this band of heathens, they stole a horse and fled to an enemies hold... It was there my story ends for I was forced to go north with Fredrick and my personnel guard, while Antonello Eugino Celio took charge of our forces... From what I was told, he will be waiting for Donixote's larger force to arrive... The story ends there my Lords and lady. "

Alejandro took one last deap breath, waiting for their responses.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 05:49:40 AM
Arathos and the others looked to Frederick, a bit astonished.  "You killed foreign dignitaries, Frederick?"
     "Respectfully, sir, I had cause.  They were responsible for putting several settlements to the sword, and making those orphans I sent here a few days ago."
     "The Estalians did this?"  Maialen asked, and Frederick nodded, continuing before anyone else could interrupt.
     "We don't know why, but the honorable Diego assured me that he did not approve of their actions, and understood why we did what we did.  He wanted to speak with you as soon as possible, General, but he was, as you have heard, assassinated.  I still do not know who did this, or why, but there was some confusion as to who was responsible.  The Estalian here, Alejandro, has sent word to the main body of his Lord's forces that we are not responsible for the deaths, and that we wish to meet with him peacefully, but it will be some time before we hear back from them."  There was quiet for a long moment, and Arathos leaned back in his chair.
     "Alejandro, was it?  Alejandro, do you know how many men your leader, this...Donixote is bringing with him?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 05:52:53 AM
   Alejandro crunched a few numbers in his head. "Donixote has 400-600 men... I will not be exact with that... It is but a small sliver of men... My Lord Ricardo has the main bulk of troops... He has a true army at his command, but he is 12 to 20 days away... He will be slow as he will be keeping his army fit and healthy... We were to secure a safe land for the main force to camp... It seems so far, it has been nothing but bloodshed and harassment."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 05:59:59 AM
Arathos sighed, musing.  "Well, we have a decent number of troops ourselves, but they're mostly concentrated in Marheim for now, guarding against a full scale invasion by Domzale.  If we mobilize today, we could bring most of our full strength to bear against him in Mortensholm and Vidovdan, but that would leave us vulnerable to any other forces he has."  Arathos rose, using markers from the bookshelf to start laying out rough indications of troops and positions on the tabletop.  "Now, if your lord meets up with the remainder of your expeditionary force, we'll have over 1,000 men that could distract them, here," he indicated, "and more on the way once this Ricardo arrives.  The key is for this Donixote to be willing to meet with us peacefully, even be willing to work for hire."  Arathos looked to Alejandro.  "Do you think he'll listen to your letters, and be patient enough to hear us out?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 06:03:46 AM
   Alejandro gave a nod almost at once. "He is a good man... I have met him several times, he is a man of honor... But I do not want conflict... We are after gold... We are here for riches and loot, to be blunt. We do not want senseless bloodshed..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 06:07:36 AM
"Well, that can be arranged if these Vitecs are trying to take advantage of our hospitality and neutral demeanor.  I'm sure Domzale is ripe for plunder, if we can't talk some sense into them.  Personally, I'd prefer we end this peacefully; there's an orc warband we've been watching that's hiding somewhere in Mad Dog Pass that has me concerned.  I'd rather not waste time, energy, and men fighting a war over a few heated words and some misunderstanding when a real threat lays just over the horizon."  Arathos stood, signaling the meeting was likely over for now.  "I'll go speak with Stefan, assuming they haven't tried to leave, and see what I can learn from him about this mess.  Frederick, see to it that our guest, Alejandro, is given something to eat and a place to stay until Donixote arrives.  Is there anything else you would like to add, Alejandro?  Or anything you require?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 06:10:14 AM
   Alejandro bowed a thankful at Arathos' words. Looking Arathos in the eye he spoke in nearly a whisper. "Donixote will not want war, I do not want war... But our Lord, Ricardo... If he hears of this... He will surely have our heads... "
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 06:11:52 AM
Arathos drummed his fingers on the table, nodding.  He left with a small bow, and went down the hall to the room where he left Stefan to wait.  His hand took the doorknob, and he turned, hoping it would be unlocked and Stefan would be waiting for him.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 06:17:10 AM
   Alejandro bowed a goodbye himself, walking off with Fredrick to acquire some food. Alejandro prays to his goddess this would not come to war, but he knew more often then not, men were quick to wage war.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Estalian messanger, looked at the earthworks in front of him, he was truly intimidated, but he tried not to show it. Getting as close as he can, he called out: "We will give your Royal Member back to you in 4 days... Our Lord sees it fit to hold him as Hostage till you release the assassin and swear neutrality!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 12:33:19 PM
This time, Thomas couldn't be bothered to march down, so just shouted from the ramparts. "Those are not terms I will agree on! Return my Brother to my position immediately or face my troops on the battlefield!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
Arathos took a deep breath, and opened the door, walking in to talk with Stefan and Ladislaus.  He was pleased to see a servant had brought a tray of cold chicken and fruit, and a bottle of wine.  "I apologize for the wait, gentlemen"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 12:58:07 PM
Stefan was sweating now, he did not know what was going on, something about Thomas attacking some villagers. His brother knew he was here, why would he endanger his brother's life so easily? "Yes" he stuttered, unable to speak much over his trembling.

It was Ladislaus who spoke for him. "I trust that we will be kept as Prisoners of War and hostages, and that my lancers will be treated accordingly." The Captain drew his sword, reversing it and offering it to the General.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 01:06:15 PM
Arathos place a hand to the pommel of the sword, easing it back towards Ladislaus.  "I have no intention of keeping Prisoners of War at this time; I am not certain why your brother has attacked me, but I intend to settle this without bloodshed, if that is possible."  There was a pause as he considered.  "However, if that is impossible, and your brother begins full scale invasions before we can meet with him to sort this out, then you may have to be detained.  I assure you if it comes to that, you will continue to live as my guests, albeit on an involuntary basis.  For now, let us try and solve this with you both acting as envoys.  Stefan, do you have any idea what is going on here?  Did your brother tell you he was planning to invade?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 01:08:13 PM
   The Estalian nodded to Thomas's message and road back to Antonello's Earth fort with full haste.


    Antonello eyed his fellow officers seeing them nodding and bobbing their heads up and down, they all agreed with his plan, they will sit and wait for Donixote... Antonello spoke slowly to the officers, as to let the Arab's translate as he spoke. "3 more days, and Donixote will be here... If we can hold, we can win if they decide to sally forth... For now, keep your heads down and your men on a short leash."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 01:09:57 PM
"Invade?" Stefan blabbered. "General, I can assure you thomas does not have the men to invade your lands! He has probably a tenth of the army stationed on the River Treblecz, Matthias has most of the men north in Mortensholm, a weeks march from Moslac!"

---

Stepping down from the wall, Thomas signalled to the cannon crews, moments later fire and smoke blew into the air as they fired their payload in the direction of the enemy fort. These were just ranging shots but one of them bounced quite spectacularly, ploughing into the hillside ten paces from the enemy fortifications. Crossbowmen and pikemen were racing around the town, setting up in roadways, in windows and on the earth embankments.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 01:26:38 PM
   Antonello snarled as the cannon ball bounced too close to home, turning to his officers he started shouting. "Build them higher and thicker! I don't want to loose any man to their sorry excuses for cannons! If they move from their position, send the Arab Calvery to herass them. Keep them busy but do not have a full on engagement... If I have it my way, we will be on the defensive!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 01:27:57 PM
"Perhaps not, and yet his cavalry are already making small raids and attacks upon my land.  The attacks have begun, so if your brother is indeed so underpowered, what is he trying to accomplish by bringing open war upon us?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 01:29:46 PM
Thomas glared at the enemy in their trenches, they were not attacking him. This meant they either had a weaker force than he did, or they thought he had a stronger force. He just hoped the reinforcements from Domzale could make it in time to save the town.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 01:33:41 PM
Ladislaus spoke up for this, "The raids are just the tactics familiar with my family. Slaughter the peasants and they will leave the land, hurting the enemy economy and forcing refugees on the enemy. He's not making any territorial gains."
Stefan nodded in agreement, his jowls quivering. "Perhaps if you let me go, I could sort this mess out yes? If I go back to Thomas, I could work it all out, there'll be no reason to hold me hostage because I'm no use to you, I could sort it all out" Arathos could almost smell the fear on Stefan's face.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 01:39:08 PM
"Perhaps," Arathos considered, "we should all go back to Thomas.  I'll go with you, along with some of my men.  Your lancers are obliged to stay here during the visit, of course, in the hopes of ensuring nothing untoward happens.  If all goes well, we can be resting in our respective beds with peace reigning before the week is out.  Your brother is a good day's ride from here; if we leave now we can get there before nightfall."  Arathos may have had the tone of a man discussing an idea, but it was clear from his demeanor that the details were not really up for discussion or debate.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 01:52:46 PM
Stefan was nodding quickly, the relief evident on his face. His relief turned to shock as there was a loud crash as Ladislaus smashed a bottle on the General's head, dazing him and knocking him to the floor. The Bodyguard grabbed his charge's arm, leading him quickly into the corridor towards the stairwell. As they reached the stone steps, a squad of soldiers arrived at both ends of the corridor, Ladislaus drew his sword, and leapt at the startled swordsmen, cutting one down with a heavy blow to the man's neck before being slew with a number of blows to his chest. Stefan drew his dagger, backing away to the wall, gesturing with the small blade. One of the men came up behind him, slashing down into his fat back, cutting a long gash, blood spurted from it and the fat man screeched, falling onto his belly. Arathos stumbled from the door to the reception room, holding his head, trying to issue orders over Stefan's screaming.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 01:54:29 PM
                                                         The March of Donixote!


                               "So I told her, I'm sorry love, I thought you were the sister!"
Suddenly the head of the Estalian column burst out in roaring laughter, Estalian, local, and Arabic voices all chip in their thoughts on the story. One man even boldly claimed that he too had been with the "sisters" mentioned in the story, and boasted they were with him at the same time. Donixote fired back  in response to the man's claims: "Was that the same time I was with your sisters?" The force roared in laughter once more, having enjoyed the day with jokes and stories. Donixote trotted along lazily on his horse, he was joking and laughing with the troops as always, keeping moral high. They had been marching for some time now, having got word from Diego that he had opened peace negotiations with the Locals and that he might have a business proposition set up. He was in good health and better spirits, for today was a bright and shining day, truly the Goddess blessed them this afternoon.
    
    That afternoon was shattered for Donixote. As Donixote was riding, a messanger on horseback came running full speed in his direction, holding a package under his arm. The messanger, having explained the story, handed Donixote the head of an "assassin" as well as a note from Alejandro, telling him of Diego's death. Donixote was crushed, he felt as if someone had socked him in the stomach and ripped out his vocal cords. Trying to gain his composure, Donixote's thoughts were too chaotic to gain a grip, he turned quickly to his officers and ordered them to keep the men marching. He told the officers he was going to get some fresh air, even though he was already out in the open marching all day. . .     When Donixote returned, he held a face of stone, he showed no emotion but the officers could tell he seethed in anger. They expected the order that Donixote was about say, even before he thought of it. "March and the double quick... I want to be there, NOW! Send messangers ahead and bring me Alejandro!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 01:58:53 PM
Arathos put a hand to his head, blood flowing freely from the cuts left by the bottle.  "Alive, dammit!  I want them alive!  Handgunners!"  The shouting and general commotion was spreading through the hall, and soon Brimcon stood at one end of the corridor, unslinging his repeater handgun while Erberk stood behind him, gripping a rather hefty chunk of table leg as a mace (almost certainly acquired from some "shoddy manwork" he spotted on his way over).  As Arathos barked out the order to take them alive, he realized it was too late.  He saw the body of Ladislaus laying on the floor while Stefan moaned in pain.  "MAIA!"


---------

It wasn't long before the lancers, enjoying a leisurely breakfast, saw handgunners form all around them on the walls of the courtyard.  The greatswords formed up in a block in front of the gate, and just as they realized what their hosts were up to, it was too late.  The synchronized clicks of the flints locking into place confirmed it.  The leader of the greatswords called out from his position "Lay down your arms, and form into a line; you're being taken prisoner."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 02:09:55 PM
Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

Matthias dismissed the messenger and turned to Luitpold. "Ride to Matorea, the Princess, Sophia de Beaucamp will recieve you. I want you to create diplomatic relations with the Princess. either a military alliance or just a non-aggression pact. We need a secure southern border now. It seems the Dawnstriders have decided to look east, and we're the first kingdom they're looking at." Luitpold bowed to the King, before gathering his Lancers and riding south.

---

The Lancers were shocked at the development. In the middle of breakfast, they didn't have their armour or weapons near them and were utterly defenseless, their only option was to give themselves up and wonder at these obscure events.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 02:42:37 PM
Maialen knelt by Stefan, inspecting his wounds.  "He's hurt badly.  I'm not sure if I can save him, Ara."  Arathos cursed, kicking the body of Ladislaus.
     "Burn this!  Get some men, Erberk, and haul our wounded guest to the medical ward.  Maia, do what you can, please."  Arathos started to walk down the hall, Brim wordlessly turning to follow him.
     "Where are you going?"  Maia asked him.
     "To prepare the troops!  There's a war coming our way whether we like it or not, and I'm going to meet it head on with the best we have!" he looked to Brim as they walked.  "Can the Emerald Wind make the journey?"
     "Y...yes, sir."  He paused to calculate in his head.  "It's built to handle some travel off the roads; nothing major, but we can make it quickly if we stick to open terrain, fields and such."
     "Good, get it operational within the hour, and go pick up Averrob."  Brim's eyes widened.  "I know; stick him on the roof if he's drunk, I know he could be dangerous inside the machine.  You have the fastest method of travel available, so we need you to move.  Don't wait for me, just head straight towards the Estalians.  I'll be right behind you with reinforcements."  Brim nodded, dashing off.

The lancers were marched into the Hold's cells, and locked up with the remainder of their breakfast.  Their armor, horses, and weapons had been confiscated.  The sound of marching could be heard from outside; the majority of Schwarzbaum's defenders were making their way out of the gates, with the Grandmaster of the Border Sentinels riding ahead with his best troops.  They were to head to Marheim and prepare the troops there to take the offensive into Domzale when the order was given.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 03:11:25 PM
    Mustaf grumbled about his back, he had been digging all day and it was getting tiresome... Crawling out of the trench, Mustaf started to walk in the direction of the supply tent until he was stopped. Once again, his company's officer was smiling happily at him with an evil grin. Speaking slowly, so that Mustaf could understand, the Estalian officer explained his new mission. "Your going to help dig the tunnel..."
   Astonello thought of it as he ate his lunch, sappers, dig a tunnel under the earth works and plant explosive charges, blast the rats out of their hole. It would take time, but time is what you have during a siege. Nearly at once he began to order people around, getting the right force, plans, and tools for the job. He only cursed under his breath that Donixote had the Dwarven Engineers, what a use they could have been.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


   Donixote formed three scouting parties, he was brainstorming the whole march about how to go about it all. After some time he decided on sending the first scouting group to see where the Dawnstrider's called home, he sent the second to meet up with Antonello's force, and the third group was told to keep the path clear for Donixote's army to march unhindered through the area... He wanted his cannons to move as fast as they can, he didn't want so much as a twig to slow them down.

   The afternoon was coming to an end, and night was starting to darken the sky by the time the scouts saw something they never thought they would see. Rolling across the country side was a bronze and green boat... It was belching smoke and steam and to top it off, it had a raving drunken loon on the top blasting trees and obstacles out of the way for the giant monstrosity. The scouts saw the blue banners and tabards on the soldiers trailing behind the monster that was described to them, it was the Dawnstriders... Gulping in fear, they went down to greet this monster and its odd rider.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 04:19:01 PM
The Emerald Wind came to a gentle halt, and the bearded, psychotic looking fellow atop brandishing his staff at them, a shrieking goblin dangling from it's top, crudely lashed by the ankle to the staff.  "Hold!  Do you come bearing liquor!?"  A few banging noises were heard from the hatch, and a muffled voice became more clear as it opened.
     "Blast it, ye drunken oaf!  Bad enough we have to drive this shoddy bit o' manwork around, ye scream and want more drink!?"  A foul tempered dwarf climbed out, kicking the turret as he passed by.
     "Hey, watch it!  I built that!" Brim yelled as he climbed up top, a second dwarf following him.
     "Oh, aye lad, I can tell that.  Believe me, ye nae needed to tell me it's man work!"  The first dwarf whirled around, grumbling to the other as the second set a pony keg on the roof.  Both dwarfs and Aver went to slaking their thirst while Brim walked to the bow of the wind.
     "Can I help you?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 17, 2009, 04:26:14 PM
    The Arabs eyed the machine and the two little men ontop. They did not know what they were saying, but they knew they were friendly... Pointing off to the distance, the lead Arab indicated the direction to Antonello's Earthfort, as well as Donixote's destination. They did not wait for a response, they only began to ride off in the direction indicated.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM
"They must be headed to join the main body."  He turned to the troops behind them.  "Follow those Estalians!"  Brim and the dwarves returned the the hull, and the tank's engines rumbled to life as it lurched forward, faster than before.  It was off with all possible haste for the main body.  Averrob dashed to the front, straddling the barrel of the steam cannon while whacking the sides of the turret with his staff like a massive riding crop, Gelnar shrieking and desperately clawing to get away the whole time.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 17, 2009, 04:42:01 PM
Moslac was a hive of activity. Soldiers were working everywhere, walling up streets and digging spiked ditches throughout the town. The main earthwork defenses were being built bigger, a forest of stakes placed around the base of it to ward off cavalry, a firing step was created in the wall, giving the crossbowmen the ability to safely fire over the ramparts without danger from enemy fire. The two cannons were heavily defended and concealed, ready to cut down waves of advancing infantry with vicious grape shot. Windows were boarded up, roofs of houses covered in earth filled potato sacks and bricks.

Thomas was pleased with the defenses of the town, if attacked by a superior force, they should be able to hold out until the reinforcements came to bolster the defences. News from Vidovdan was much the same, the northern town was fortified as well, though there was no sign of enemy troop movements up there.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 18, 2009, 08:20:38 AM
North of Mentreda/Chateau-Herriot, Border Princes IC 2524

Hubert was laying prone on the top of a low ridge.  Along side him lay one of his men.  "What do you make of those, Mervin?"

"I'd say those are Black Company Lancers, sir."

"Yes, that's exactly what I'd say, too.  Hmmm, I wonder what they're doing riding on the Prince's land, and I'm sure his highness would be interested to know as well."

"Yes sir, I agree."

The two slowly crept backwards, and when they were both far enough down the back side of the slope, they stood, walked the rest of the way down, and mounted their horses that were being held for them at the bottom.

"Mervin, I need you to ride swiftly back to Mentreda, and inform the Prince and his men as to what we have found.  Also tell him that we will be letting them know we are here, and although we are not foolish enough to engage without his order, we will be inquiring, if possible, regarding why the Black Company Lancers are riding on his land."

"Sir, you mean Chateau-Herriot, correct."

"Yes, yes, most wise of us all to remember this when dealing with the Prince, thank you Mervin.  Now head off, and report back to us when you can."

After Mervin spurred his horse and headed quickly away to go make contact with the Prince, Hubert looked at the rest of his men and said, ""Ok, gentlemen.  Time to make a show of force."  Then Hubert urged his mount back up the slope from where he and Mervin had been, and all his men followed in mass up to the top of the ridge.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 18, 2009, 06:21:05 PM
Luitpold wiped his dusty brow with a damp cloth. His troop had ridden south overnight and soon they would need to rest the horses, a consequence of their heavy armour. This land was so unlike his father's estates in Reikland, so hot and dusty, the sun seemed to beat down endlessly. They had entered a small valley, little more than a dip in the plains, filled with shriveled orange groves and vineyards.

As they turned a bend in the road, a force of cavalry rode along a ridge above them, looking down upon him and his Lancers. They looked like native cavalry, men from the nearby towns, expert horsemen on the plains. Luitpold had high hopes that the men with him, also natives to the middle plains of the borders would find some common ground.

Luitpold flipped down his visor, hefting his lance and stood his horse waiting for the Riders, his men did the same.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 20, 2009, 03:49:27 AM
    Donixote arrived to find the Earthen fort alive with activities of the military sort. He at once took charge and began to act with true discipline. The army was awakened and the men brightend, it was truly a great day for the Estalians. The men were in high spirits for they saw Donixote's banners flying all around and knew the symbol of the Red bull horns very well, they knew that the siege would soon be heavily in their favor. For once, the Estalians felt like the aggressors, they did not feel attacked, harassed, or even hurt... The Estalians knew soon Donixote's Mortars, cannons, and rocket batteries, would all be opening hell on the enemies hold. Nearly at once, he set to work all of his engineers, the Estalian force lead by Donixote himself finally felt at home... That Night the army did what they do best, they opened fire and rained hell on the enemy without mercy or control.


    Donixote was in the command tent, sitting in Diego's chair, thinking of all the fond memories and adventures he had with his friend. He ordered all the officers to try and sleep, even though it was hard with thunderous booms resounding every 5 seconds, his only company in the tent was a bottle of Elven Spirits. The bottle kept him calm, but it also kept him depressed, he did not like war and he did not enjoy the fact his best friend died because of this adventure. Donixote knew this was all a mistake and wished he was back in Araby, at least then he knew who his enemies were. He was confussed by Alejandro's messages, one minute he speaks of killing Dawnstriders, the next helping them, the next wanting to backstab them, he could not help but feel Alejandro was writing out of fear and that even on paper he could not control his emotions. Donixote fell even more into depression as he thought of the boy officer, too young to suffer this sort of war. The war on Araby was a clean raid, except with his nasty run in with a local tribe, this war here in the North on the other hand was much different. This war had tactics that, in his mind, only cowards would use, assassinations, hit and run, the need to put villagers to the sword. He hated what Alejandro reported to him, he hated what the previous officers went through or did. He felt things could be done like back home, one on one duels, winner takes all, this all made him feel sick... Though he felt it could just be the Elven drink. Donixote took one last glance to his goblet, watching the ripples run across the liquid as the explosions shook the ground, his world slightly vibrated a second before he slumped forward, fast asleep.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 20, 2009, 11:28:03 AM
Winters Teeth Pass, Border Princes IC2524

It had been a hard treck through the pass, pushing the Ogres to move as fast as they could, making sure they had enough ale and wine to keep them happy, but not so much they wrought havok in their drunkeness but now on the southern slopes of the mountains they could see the smokey smudge in the sky above where Mortensholm lay.

Uryens clenched his jaw, before angryly issueing the orders to send pistoleers to scout the disposition of the town.

The Grand Army of Solland had arrived at last in the Border Princes.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 20, 2009, 01:37:25 PM
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

Shells exploded everywhere, Thomas' men were taking cover in any spot they could. The earthwork defenses were holding out quite well, protecting his men from the worst of the shrapnel. Thomas himself sat in his headquarters scanning reports and maps of the area, fifteen men dead and thirty injured, with ten who will never fight again, a heavy toll on his small force. The worst case of all, however was the loss of one of his cannons to a lucky shot from an enemy mortar, they were now down to just the one artillery piece. Luckily the enemy hadn't assaulted the town yet, but there had been a massive build up of troops, many of them the newly arrived Dawnstriders, making ready to attack the town. Captain Tibius was just one day away with the reserves of four hundred men, as well as several cannons.

Thomas was just placing the maps away when an explosion rocked the building, sending rubble and plaster falling upon the Captain. Dust was everywhere, he couldn't see his hand in front of his face, so the wounded man just staggered to where he thought the door was, out into the hell of a night, men were running everywhere with buckets of water from the river, trying to put out the myriad of fires everywhere.

Thomas was still clutching a single report, he spread out the crumpled paper, reading the last message from his brother, Matthias.

'Hold until relieved. Hold until relieved'

---

The woods north of Mortensholm, Border Princes, IC 2524

Kurt Bennis ducked down under the log, crossbow bolts pattering against the fallen wood. The enemy scouts were good with their bows, already a number of his Fusiliers had been struck dead in this blasted land. Now the rest of his squad were firing their handguns down onto the Scout's position, sending them fleeing from under the heavier firepower of the Sollanders.

"Looks like they're pulling back Sir" said Luden crawling over to his officer, cradling his handgun in his brawny arms.
"Yeah, they're all pulling back to the town, the Pass is open again for the army." Kurt replied.

The Fusiliers rose from their positions, rendezvousing at the old road warden post on the northern road. The hundred strong company was still very much intact, the fighting had been light, just small skirmishes like with the scouts. The men were sitting around their camp fires, Bennis taking his headquarters in the outpost. Luden strolled across the dusty road, nodding to the veteran men around the fires, checking the sentries were doing their job. He was just turning back to see Bennis when there was a cry from the northern sentry, a troop of Pistoliers had cantered into the camp, their sashes in the new Solland colours. The Captain, a young lad barely twenty waved at Luden, beckoning him over.

Luden saluted the officer, "Sergeant Macks, Bennis' Fusiliers under Baron Von Pfeifraucher"
The young man nodded, "Unteroffizier Graf Edwin von Dreisch, Siegfried's Cavalry under de Crux, we're advance scouts, checking the enemy positions. Is this the southernmost post?"
"Aye, we're on the front line here lad"
The Officer reddened. "Sir, I am an officer and your superior! You'll respect my rank while addressing me! I'll have you flogged, where's your Officer?"
At that moment,Bennis strolled out from the small hut, "Lieutenant Bennis, this is my Company."
The Pistolier saluted Kurt, stuttering over his words "Unteroffizier Graf Edwin von Dreisch," he pulled out a dispatch, offering it to Bennis.
"You'll get off your horse My Lord when addressing a superior officer!"
"ye..es sir," The man dropped to the ground, saluting Kurt again offering him the dispatch. With that, he mounted again and his cavalry detachment cantered off north again.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 20, 2009, 08:04:55 PM
North of Mortensholm, Border Princes IC2524

Uryens watched as Captain van Rooyen too the report from his roadwardens, they had heard sounds of combat about half an hour earlier, probably pickets and scouts making contact.

van Rooyen shook the hand of the roadwarden sergeant and strode over to Uryens.

"Sir, it seems that the town has been attacked by some force, we are not sure who, but it seems like some other would be prince, the town has fallen but there is still a garrison holding up inside the main keep at the centre of the town."

"Well then, my good Captain, we must do our damndest to lift this seige as soon as possible." replied Baron de Crux.

"Pass word to the company captains and sergeants, we will advance in column of attack, with a skirmish line of archers and duellists in front of us, send the roadwardens and scouts out again, find their baggage train as soon as possible, tell whoever finds it to report to me immediately."

"Aye my Lord" replied the Marienberg captain before rushing off to issue orders.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 20, 2009, 08:27:11 PM
Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The Don leaned over the map table, studying the intricate map.
He wouldn't show it, but Matthias was troubled with the events. His idiot brothers had caused a war with the regularly docile neighbors in the east, causing a fight on two fronts, Matthias was considering placing his plans back a couple of weeks while he sorted this mess.

The Garrison in the Mortensholm castle was no problem, little more than fifty militia and a thousand peasants, they'd starve in a few days, giving the Don complete control over the Freehold. Worrying reports were coming in from the pass, Matthias' scouts were getting pushed back by enemy infantry. One report from some of the Black Company's veteran scouts were that the northerners had employed some ogres, Matthias hoped it wasn't a force as large as the rumours of the hundreds that were camped here during the winter.

Then there were the troubles with the Bretonnians in the south, he had hoped to crush them after taking Mortensholm, but it seems now he would have to beg them to be allies, a thing he was loathe to do. Hopefully Luitpold had a large enough brain on his shoulders to sort that.

The Don tapped his fingers on the table abruptly, startling his assembled officers who were sitting in silence before him. "I want Resplendente* and Instancabile** to make ready, Caricare*** to ride out immediately and start harassing the enemy's forward units, tell Nino to not engage a large force, focus on weak troops.

*Veteran Pike unit. **Veteran Pike unit. ***Veteran Lancer unit. - Basically the backbone of the Black Company.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 02:17:48 AM
The rumble of the steam tank signaled the arrival of the Dawnstrider Legion well before the tramp of troops and the flying of colors.  The defenders of Moslac watched as a unit of greatswords, a unit of spearmen, and two units of swordsmen made their way towards the Estalian army, backed by a pair of heavy cavalry bearing the symbol and colors of the Border Sentinels.  Messengers were sent to both camps in haste.

To Donixote's camp, word was sent that Alejandro had arrived with allies for the Estalian army, and a chest of gold as a "deposit" to ensure their continued work until such time as a solid payment could be arranged.  The emissaries brought with them enough armor and weapons to outfit a nice unit of heavy lancers (courtesy of Stefan Vitec's now imprisoned personal guard) as gifts to show good faith, and apologize for the "inhospitable and barbaric reception" that the "unaligned and treacherous autonomous residents of the Princes" had given to such "civilized and grand emissaries from the world-renowned land of Estalia."

To Thomas' camp, a messenger brought only a sealed envelope for Thomas Vitec, carrying it under a white banner and riding away as soon as it was handed to a guard with instructions to pass it along to Thomas.  It bore the seal of the Dawnbringer himself, and was short, terse, and to the point:

"Your unprovoked and treacherous attack is to cease immediately.  You have until sunrise to surrender, or we will take the town by force.  Your brother is imprisoned and wounded; you will join him if you do not comply."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 02:32:43 AM
                                The Siege of Moslac, The Estalian's side.




    Donixote, who was fast asleep, quickly shot awake as his Estalian guards entered the tent dragging a chest that seemed to be of some weight. Doni' was surprised they were able to wake him up, they shouldn't be able to wake him up with the sound of cannons roaring, until he realized they had halted their fire. Doni' was about to order the guards to quickly get back to the siege and order those cannons roaring to life again until he noticed they had a gift. They quickly dropped the chest on the command table, letting the massive thud resound loudly. Doni' could not help but shift uneasily in Diego's chair as he looked the chest over, his expression was that of curiosity until they opened the chest. Doni', closing the chest with a grin, turned to his guards and spoke in a joyful voice: "Let him in..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 02:42:48 AM
     "Now we see if that was money well spent."  Arathos sighed, dismounting his horse.  Kelyddon, his personal standard bearer, and Eathelyn, his personal bodyguard, dismounted with him.  Both wore full plate armor, Kelyddon garbed in the garish and stunning golden armor Arathos had originally forged for himself, then passed on to Kel later.  Eathelyn wore a lightweight plate armor, which seemed to fit an elven warrior just fine.  Her massive double-bladed battle axe seemed a bit out of place in contrast, however.
     "It was a large amount, General," she admonished lightly.  "Where did you get it?"
     "We've done rather well over the years; I've saved a decent war chest to help us through the tougher times, unlike the various elders who seem intent on spending their share as quickly as they acquire it in a desperate bid to resemble proper nobles."
     "And, pray tell," a smirk formed on her lips, "how much of that 'decent' chest is left after this 'desperate bid'?"
     "Enough" he replied, looking over as a guard approached him.
     "My lord will see you now, General."
Arathos and his entourage entered the tent of Donixote (Kelyddon had left the battle standard with his horse), and he bowed to the man facing him.  "I am General Arathos, the Dawnbringer, Commander in Chief of the Dawnstrider Legion.  It is an honor and a pleasure to meet you."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 02:51:26 AM
   Donixote could not help but grin happily, standing up he gave a great bow, letting his plummed crescent helm dust the table in front of him. Straightening back up, eagerly introduced himself.


    "I am Donixote Cajigal de Pluma, the current commander of the Northern Estalian Expedition, Loyal servant of Lord Ricardo Landi', Lord of the Northern province Cantabari. I am pleased to be your host today... I hope you find my camp to be of your, liking? I am told by Alejandro's messages that you wish to, purchase our army and be our Patron?"

   As Doni' waited for Arathos's response, he quickly cracked opened a few bottles of elven whine. Setting the bottle on the table, as well as some wooden goblets, he offered the drink over to the others as soon as he began to drink his own.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 02:54:57 AM
"Indeed, thank you for your hospitality."  Arathos took a step closer to the table, raising the goblet in a silent toast to Donixote before taking a drink.  "Mmm, excellent vintage, Herr de Pluma, was it?"  For once, Arathos was not simply spouting honeyed speech to hasten the change to real conversation; the wine was good.  "Mm, yes you are correct, I am interested in hiring you, and your force as soon as possible to aid with some matters.  Before we hammer out the details, would you like Alejandro brought here?  He is most distressed, and I'm sure anxious to return to the company of his own."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 03:01:40 AM
   Donixote quickly nodded his head. "Yes, bring him to me, I would like to see the boy officer at once... I am interested by his messages... And yes, the whine is Elven, a gift from my Lord Ricardo, he deals with folk of every race and nature... I have a few dwarves somewhere in this be-damned camp because of him... Little buggers..."
   Alejandro and Fredrick both entered the room, nearly at once Alejandro quickly spouted out in Estalian. The two Estalians went back in forth in what seemed to be heated words before Doni' ended the arguement with a shout to which he then turned back to Arathos. "SILENCIO!"

Smiling, Doni' bowed once more. "Yes, let us speak of these... Details..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 03:03:30 AM
"I hope you do not mind my being blunt, Herr de Pluma?  I am a man of the battlefield, and I think we would both prefer to end this quickly and amicably than to toss about flowery speech for hours when money can be made and achievements finished, yes?" Arathos asked, eager to get to the bloody work ahead of them.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 03:07:42 AM
   Donixote could not help but admire the mans words, he liked this Arathos, he was to the point. "I am pleased you are not one of those, floppy nobles I have to deal with so commonly... Good, good, let us go to bloody work!"
   Giving Arathos a smile, Doni' quickly dashed past them his sword drawn, shouting at the top of his lungs. "¡ENCIENDA LOS CAÑONES!" With that, Doni' let his guests stand shocked, he quickly went to work setting his weapons and men to work. Soon the ground began to shake with the thunderous roar of cannons.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 03:14:12 AM
All four of them blinked as the fusillade began and the Don charged out of the tent, thankfully not attacking the General.  Arathos turned to the others, and shrugged.  "I suppose that ends the preliminaries."  Arathos nodded to Frederick.  "You're the highest ranking officer here aside from myself and the other members of the Seven, so you will serve as my right hand here, Under-Marshall"
     "Yes, sir!"  He came to attention quickly, remembering his place as the General addressed him.
     "Form up the men, prepare for a night assault.  We're taking these walls, and the Emerald Wind is going to help pound a way straight to Thomas Vitec's headquarters."


There was shouting and thumping as Frederick rode up and down the lines, urging the men to hurry into position to help assault the town.  The sun was setting and they had marched for hours, but the General would not wait until morning.  He wanted the town before reinforcements could arrive, and the Estalian artillery had kicked into full swing.  The Emerald Wind moved to the center of the line, facing the town's gates.  Brimcon was inside with his crew of the Legion's two dwarfs.  They had orders to smash the gate down, and use the steam cannon to drive away any defenders that were not frightened off by the mere sight of the machine.  The greatswords were to follow behind, along with Arathos and his entourage, and take the gates and clear a path for the knights, followed by the infantry.  The plan was to pour into the city, the powerful shock of the heavy cavalry charge would sweep away the hastily prepared defenses.  The infantry would then follow and mop up, taking secure positions as they moved.  Arathos took his place among the rank and file, and he looked over his shoulder at the Estalians, waiting to see if they were going to assault the city with him, or simply bombard it while his men handled the knife work.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 03:20:53 AM
   Donixote was busy throwing together his officers outside the command tent. They gibbered away in their native tongue for what seemed to be ages before finally they dispersed. Nearly at once horns and drums played.These were not the horns Arathos' was use to hearing, they had an odd sound to them for they were the horns of the Arabs. At once the Estalian army began to scamper over their Earthworks and leave the shelter of their Earthen Fort, the Arabs in the front. Doni', who was with the heavy Estalian Calvery in their brightly colored armor, took up the rear with the officers, ready to ride down any enemy if the battle was to go ill.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 21, 2009, 01:43:48 PM
With the last lights of the sun's rays beginning to dip below the horizon, Arathos nodded to Brim, who then disappeared into his tank, the hatch closing behind him.  The Emerald Wind rumbled forward, a warning shot from it's front cannon exploding forth, aimed straight for the gates.  As the tank rolled with increasing speed towards Moslac, the Dawnstrider Legion's men marched on the double quick for the city's walls.  The attack had begun.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Dannyfave on April 21, 2009, 05:20:51 PM
Without breaking the artisic stride, can I ask what the hell is going on in here?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 21, 2009, 06:39:41 PM
((Sent you a PM Danny))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 21, 2009, 07:15:38 PM
Without breaking the artisic stride, can I ask what the hell is going on in here?

Lmao thats sig worthy.

Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas ran across the road, shouting to his men to carry on the fight. The heathen monstrosity of theirs had smashed through the outer gates and trundled straight through several houses before it became stuck in one of the many ditches dug throughout the town.

The outer defenses had been breached, with heavy losses his men had fallen back among the buildings of the town. For a time, a brave unit of Pikes had held the central road before being cut down by mass handgun fire, the Black Company soldiers lying in a grisly pile where they had led their last stand. The one remaining cannon had been brought back during the night, Thomas had other plans for it.

The Captain was seething with anger. The enemy had offered terms, yet had attacked before a reply could be given, Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts', but manners in war were everything. His crossbows had taken cover near the bridge, and were covering the main square, turning it into a death trap, as of yet the enemy had failed to break through the hastily made second line, Thomas and his men were in an excellent defensive position.

And the reinforcements were only a day away. They just had to hold the bridge.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 21, 2009, 09:32:56 PM
Without breaking the artisic stride, can I ask what the hell is going on in here?
Check out the Ex-Solland thread as well.

Let us know if you have questions and we'll be happy to fill you in on what is happening in either location.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 21, 2009, 09:38:20 PM
North of Mortensholm, Border Princes, 2524 IC

After a good distance, from where they had found Bennis' fusiliers, Aldo, the oldest of the group, turned to Lars, the pistolier's leader, and whispered so the other guys wouldn't hear him, "Lars, you got to be more careful when executing your authority over soldiers who aren't directly under your command.  We came here to fight the enemy, and not our own, if you know what I mean."

Lars looked over at Aldo, and then back ahead.

The six of them, Serge, their musician, Rainier, the brawny one, Theo, the most daring, Didier, the ladies man, along with Aldo and Lars, had all showed up on Baron Eduard Dreisch's tent flap when Lars had gone to request to be attached with Baron de Crux's expedition that was headed for Kreutzenhofen to deal with Agrabod's ogres.  Driesch was some what relucant to give up some of his men, but at the same time these guys were relative newcomers compared to his veterans, and the overall cavalry commander Siegfried was not unwilling to part with what he called, "the new guys", and so Baron Driesch had let them go.  The young men had been disappointed when some sort of agreement had been made between both forces, but when it was announced the newly bannered Solland forces were going over the mountains to help out Mortensholm, their moods had become reinvigorated.

But now, Lars contemplated that perhaps his enthusiam had gotten the best of him when interacting with some of Baron Pfeifraucher's troops.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 21, 2009, 10:24:54 PM
Mortensholm, spring IC2524

Uryens watched as the Grand Army of Solland began to deploy into attack columns.

"Captain Jamie" shouted Baron de Crux, looking round for his ensign.

"Jamie, take a flag of parlay to the town and tell them that by order of the Baron of Wusterburg the forces seigeing Mortenshoom are to quit the town by nightfall, they can retain their colours and arms and leave peacefully. If they remain, they shall be hanged as bandits and thieves."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 01:58:15 AM
   Donixote watched as the Dawnstriders rushed the main gate and pushed them back. Turning to his men he grinned saying a quick line before the Arab and Estalian charge began: "Time to have some fun!"

   The Tactics were clear... Charge and outnumber... The Arabs were too eager to spill some Barbarian blood, and the Estalians were over joyed to finally end some heathen scum.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:34:23 AM
(( "Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts',"))
((WEEEEWWWWTTT!   WAAAAGH! Hell yeah, a WWII Reference... Battle of the Bulge baby!))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 05:51:39 AM
Arathos' greatswords came to a halt just as they passed the ruined remains of the pikes that had defended the central road.  Frederick soon rode up behind him, dismounting his horse.  They heard the shouting of men helping to dig the steam tank free of the ditch.  Brimcon had a bandage on his head and was being treated for a concussion, but the dwarves were grumbling and drinking by the ditch in between bouts of shouting instructions at the soldiers on how to dig properly.  It would likely take all night to dig it free and press it back into action, and that was assuming the steam engine was relatively undamaged by the crash.  Arathos would not wait that long.  He peered across the bridge just a ways down the central road, and wondered what defenses waited for them in the town's main square.  The thump of Kelyddon planting the Legion's battle standard was heard behind him, just over the din of battle as his men cleared out the buildings and mopped up what remained of the defenders that had not fallen back.  The Estalians had poured into the town just after his men smashed the gates, and were whooping and cheering their rousing success, preparing themselves for the next move.
     "You know it's a trap; it always is when they withdraw" Eathelyn cautioned.  Arathos nodded, his lower jaw jutting forward a bit as he pondered his next move.
     "We could bombard the square, if we hurry and haul a few mortars forward to this location.  But, that would destroy a number of the buildings, and possibly start a fire.  We're not here to sack the place, so damage needs to be minimal."  A loud explosion from inside the square caused them to jump; Averrob was on a rooftop lobbing fireballs at percieved enemy hideouts.  Not every one landed on an enemy hiding place, and not all of them landed where Averrob aimed them, but they were all damaging to the town.  "If we don't hurry and take the square, Averrob will handle the fire concern for us."
     "So, what's the plan, General?"  Frederick moved to stand beside Arathos.
     "It's going to be bloody; order the swordsmen across, and have them fan out as they do so.  Once the trap is closed, follow with your cavalry in a charge and handgunners in support behind them.  My men and I will follow next, and the Estalians should have found a way to elbow their way into the bloodshed by then."  Averrob's fires (along with the devastation from the Estalian artillery) were illuminating the city now that sunset was past, and Arathos did not like night fighting, but he could not wait for sunrise.  Reinforcements had to be coming, and coming fast.  Arathos did not want to risk a two-sided fight, particularly after a sleepless night.  "Let's get the men moving, Frederick.  We don't have much time"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 22, 2009, 09:37:14 AM
Now this is out of synch, I know, but in an arty, flashback kind of way. The following thread is about events a couple of weeks before the events depicted in Uryens last post re: Mortensholm. You guys are just too fast for my schedule ... but I am sure you won't mind if I cover some events from recent history. This way (if I can arrange it) I can get a game in soon and do an illustrated battle report.

If it doesn't confuse me, a humble man of limited capacities, then I am sure that you all will be entirely unfazed by such 'prequel-esque' shenanigans.


Mortensholm, (early to mid spring) IC2524


Captain Vincent made his way as quickly as he could. Twice he was almost torn from the saddle by tree branches, but he cared not and clung on, for he had to get word to Graf Edric as soon as possible. As well as escape his pursuers.

Three lancers, heavily armoured (which was fortunate for the much more lightly armoured Vincent) were on his trail. This meant that Vincent could not travel directly to the column, but had to swing out in a great arc, and thus in doing so when he lost the lancers (which he was bound to do) they would be left heading somewhere other than towards the Graf’s army. His trail would become harder to follow anyway, for here the trees were thinning and rockier ground predominated, almost barren apart from some hardy grasses and lichens.

The best part of an hour later his work was done: the lancers left far behind and confused, while he finally reached  the army of Mortensholm.

The first fellow he met was young Josef Schaap, leading the Pistoliers in their capacity as outriders.

“Ho, Vincent,” Josef shouted, the way he always did.

Vincent answered hastily. “Well met! But no time to speak, I must know where the Graf is – I have urgent news.”

“Then friend, I will take you to him.”

Leaving the company of pistoliers behind, the two officers galloped off into the heart of the marching army. When they found Graf Edric, riding his rouncey while his destrier was walked by his side by a squire, Vincent reigned in his exhausted horse and spoke hurriedly,

“My Lord, an army besets Mortensholm. It is worse than you feared, for they have taken the town itself and now besiege the keep.”

Graf Edric’s brow furrowed deep as he asked,

“Is it Don Matthias?”

“Aye, my Lord, and he has almost the entire Black Company with him. They outnumber us perhaps two to one, maybe even more.”

There was a moment’s silence, for none knew what to say. While they had been chasing goblin bandits and orc raiders, the home they thought to protect by doing so was being attacked.

The Graf glanced at the officers there about him, and addressed them,

“We must attack. The odds might be against us, but we have no choice. There is no other honourable course. Besides, if Myrmidia blesses us, as she had done on many occasions before, then we shall have surprise upon our side, and the enemy will not be arrayed for battle.

“What say you? Are you with me?”

All present lent their voice to the cry,

“Aye, we’re with you.”

The Graf once again allowed a moment of silence, and then began his instructions,

“We shall advance, but array the column such that it can promptly form into line of battle. And order all musicians to be silent, there shall be no drums or horns – all commands and signals must be given by the ensigns. Send the huntsmen forward, and tell them to conceal themselves well. I want no clues as of our advance to be given unto the enemy. Any enemy scouts we meet must be killed, quickly and quietly. No handgunners are to discharge their pieces, though they can flash their pans if it is daylight and they are beneath the trees …”

So begin the long list of instructions.

The army of Mortensholm was indeed coming home, but the real fight was yet to begin.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 01:27:52 PM
Woah I have loads of replying to do.

Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The enemy were indeed a strong force, they outnumbered the Black Company, plus the host of ogres.

Matthias strolled down to his saddled horse and his waiting bodyguard of lancers. He was bedecked in his ceremonial suit of armour, something he did on very rare occasions, he much preferred the plain, battle-hardened one he had used for years. But today warranted the ceremonial piece. A troop of the enemy, under the flag of parlay had ridden to the town about an hour ago and were waiting outside the walls, Matthias waited the customary hour before riding out and greeting them.

The lead rider, obviously an officer, because of the expensive armour and good quality boots raised a hand in greeting. He announced his rank and his commanders before speaking out the terms. Matthias sat his horse silently, listening to the words of Lord de Crux.

He chuckled when the Captain mentioned bandits and thieves. "My dear Captain Jamie, you call me a bandit and a thief? I guess that is true. Under Imperial law, a thief is to be hanged, no?"

The captain greed.

"Yet if you steal a country, they call you a king. And that is what I am, Matthias I, Ninth King of Karoly. This land is mine by right of force. You belittle the art of war by calling it banditry. Go back to your lord and tell him to send his men back north where they belong. This war is nothing to do with them."

Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

The enemy swordsmen were massing for a charge across the square. Thomas, his helm and armour dented, his sword blunted by work kneeled on a mound of rubble, his arm raised high. With a great cry, the footsoldiers charged forward, a rolling tide of steel towards the defenders. Thomas waited for the right moment, trying to gauge the right moment to let loose.

The time came.

The air in-front of the captain became filled with missiles, steel tipped, armour piercing crossbow bolts hissed from their strings. Punching the front rank from their feet. Yet with determination the enemy kept coming, jumping over their fallen comrades. Thomas slashed down his arm once again, with a thunderous roar, the cannon boomed, spreading nails, stones, lead balls, broken crossbow bolts and bits of rubble into the tightly packed enemy soldiers, ripping men apart, tearing limbs from bodies, disintegrating armour and ending men's lives in a wave of blood and metal.

Thomas nodded to his sergeants, the crossbows gave one whistling volley before Thomas and his men retreated, the screams of the enemy ringing in their ears. Their positions the other side of the bridge should be able to hold them, the enemy would be cut down whilst charging the narrow crossing. The reinforcements were but hours away now, marching through the night as fast as they could. In the morning the enemy would see Thomas' swelled ranks and have to offer terms.

Baron Pfeifraucher's Camp, Border Princes IC 2524

Sergeant Macks shouted out his orders. Men went dashing this way and that, following the booming voice of the man, packing up tents, loading wagons and readying their battle gear.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 01:29:02 PM
(( "Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts',"))
((WEEEEWWWWTTT!   WAAAAGH! Hell yeah, a WWII Reference... Battle of the Bulge baby!))
Yup, Bastogne, Yank 101st Airbourne

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 02:26:22 PM
Arathos blinked, the devastation shocking him.  His enemy was well prepared indeed, but that did not deter him.  This battle was not over until it was over.  He stuffed the notice brought to him mid-combat in his belt pouch, and nodded to Frederick, who bellowed out the order to charge.  As Thomas and his men withdrew to their defenses, they heard the thunder of heavy cavalry and the sound of the greatswords charging behind them.  The Dawnstriders were determined to take the city before reinforcements arrived, and if they failed they would at least place Thomas in as ugly a position as possible.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 22, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
Mortensholm, Border Princes IC2524


Captain Jamie rode back to the rest of the army with a heavy heart, he was a soldier by trade, and proud of being the Barons standard bearer, but the battle to come would be bloody, and both sides would lose men, needlessly, so far as he could see.

There was no shame in quitting the town in the face of such a large column as the one he rode back to, but no, this self styled king would play the petty tyrant to the last, and the Baron would be angry in his wrath indeed.

Yes, the battle to come would be most bloody indeed.

By the time Jamie returned, Uryens de Crux was arrayed in his full harness, looking every inch like a general of the empire, sat on a stool looking at a map of the town in front of them.

“Well Jamie, are we going to have to hang the buggers?”

“Sir, it seems this is a territorial dispute between the Graf, who we know well and Matthius, 9th King of Karoly”

“Where in Myrmidia’s name is Karoly? Never mind.”

“CAPTAIN JOOST” shouted Uryens, looking around for his captain of horse. “Ah, take a message to Agrabod, ask him to move his army south to attack along the trade road into the town, tell him that’s the best place to find the enemy baggage”

“Now then Jamie, join the greatswords colour guard and unfurl the colours again, we will assault this town and drive off this man who would be king.”

Within half an hour the force of Ogres was moving to the south of Mortensholm, and the artillery train of the Grand Army of Solland was taking ranging shots on what remained of the walls of Mortensholm.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 02:46:28 PM
Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas turned to see heavy cavalry and foot knights charging at his retreating crossbowmen. These elite troops must have been held in reserve and thus were not in disarray from the volley fire. The unarmoured crossbowmen were defenseless, running for their lives to the bridge. Thomas started to run back, he had to save his men. His personal guard of armoured halberdiers following their Captain loyally. The crossbowmen were being slaughtered ind roves by the knights and greatswords, their bodies became a grisly trail from their positions in the square down to road to the bridge.

Thomas and his halberdiers charged forward, using their heavy weapons against the horses' heads and chests, spilling the riders to the floor to be hacked to death. The Dawnstriders and newly arrives Estalians fought back with a vengeance, cutting down a score of halberdiers until there were but twelve left, forming a ring around Thomas, now holding his banner defiantly. They were surrounded on all sides, the remaining Black Company were stuck the other side of the bridge, the Town was lost. There was no sign of the reinforcements.

The Enemy generals pushed their way tot he front of the crowd, facing the defiant Halberdiers.

Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The enemy cannon had started pounding the walls of Mortensholm. But the Black Company were not there. The Don and his army had retreated several miles south to a low range of hills to form their battle line.

Under his command, Don Matthias had three thousand tough veterans, well equipped with a professional regiment commanders well used to warfare. Alongside the Black Company, there were the local levy of some thousand militia crossbow and levy pikemen, Cavalry units were on the flanks, both professional mercenaries and local nobles. It was indeed a glorious force, decked out in their black armour and tabards, their pike points glinting in the sun. The flag of the Kingdom of Karoly, Sable with gules bars and the Don's personal heraldry of a raven in black and white ermine, flew above Matthias' favoured unit, La Resplendente the men of the regiment proudly standing next to their master.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 02:52:05 PM
Matorea, South Central Border Princes, IC 2524

Luitpold reined in his horse at the gatehouse, shouting up to the sentry. "Take me to the Princess, I have urgent business with her majesty!" The sentry nodded and strolled off to report to his commander.

Luitpold stood with his lancers, dust staining their black and red cloaks, their horses lathered with sweat from the hard ride south. The journey had been fairly uneventful since seeing the horsemen, they had stayed in a village for a night, though left early in the morning, the inhabitants were wary of the horsemen, mistaking them fro their new lords, the Bretonnians.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 02:52:45 PM
Arathos hacked his way through the halberdiers along with his standard bearer and his bodyguard, the three of them protected by the stout greatswords around them.  Frederick and his cavalry had ripped through the fleeing crossbows, but had stopped their pursuit when the enemy had sent a unit across the bridge to harass them.  The halberdiers' charge had surprised Arathos a second time, but his men were winning the day.  As he made his way to the front of his unit, he could see the man in bold armor in the center of the meagre dozen men that surrounded him.  This must clearly be the general, and Arathos signaled for his men to halt their attack.  Cavalry and infantry formed a ring around the enemy general's protective ring, and Arathos called out to him.
     "Worthy foe, you have defended this town well, and have given us one hell of a battle.  Surrender, and you and your men will be taken peacefully."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 02:57:25 PM
   Donixote, charged on his horse straight through the mess of men till he reached the ring of Halberdiers, he grunted and pulled back on his horse's reins to prevent the beast from dismounting its rider. Speaking in Estalian, he turned to his men and quickly shouted orders. At once men shouted orders up and down the giant entanglement of men. Donixote turned back to Arathos, the look of blood lust still danceing on his eyes, he stared only for a few moments before he grinned a merry smile. Faceing the defeated ring of soldiers, he smirked. "Surrender your arms, pigs..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:04:08 PM
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

"I see that I am undone. Before I give up my men and myself, I would like to know where your army will go after this." Thomas looked to his veteran halberdiers, who nodded to their Captain. "I must also inform you that there are reinforcements but a couple of hours away, a large army. Your men will not break through the bridge in that time, the few remaining men I have will hold it to the last, even after I am dead." Thomas held his standard tightly. "My terms of surrender are that I and my men, as well as any citizens of Moslac that wish to, are to be allowed to march back to Domzale as free men. I must also tell you that my brother is but a week away with the entire army, some five thousand men."

Thomas looked at the snarling Estalian. "Sir, I am talking to the lion, a cub should know when to speak and when to be silent!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 22, 2009, 03:06:56 PM
Mortenholm IC2524

The Grand Army of Solland advanced on the town, two deep phalanx of heavy pike, flanked by handgunners, halberdiers and swordsmen, ahead of them the pistoleers and duellists, the cannons pounded a hole in the wall, but there was nothing to aim at, by the time the army had reached Mortensholm it was clear the enemy had withdrawn and only the defensive perimiter of the Wusterburg Halberdiers stopped the Ogres looting the whole town.

Eventually though, they were appeased with more ale and wine and pursuaded to camp outside the town while the Baron of Wusterburg went to speak to the survivors holed up in the keep.

(hey guys, can you put a header at the top of your post to say where you are posing about, cheers)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:09:30 PM
   Donixote smirked at the man's comment. "I will let you know, swine, It was my cannon that bombared your laughable defenses.... and it will be my handgunners who will put you down!"
  The orders that were shouted earlier were carried out finally, the handgunners pulled forward from the mess of men, at the ready and loaded.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:11:41 PM
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

The Halberdiers closed their ring around their lord as the handgunner execution line came to bare.
Thomas raised the standard defiantly.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:12:30 PM
The Town of Moslac, Main Square

"Calm yourself, my good man."  Arathos looked to Donixote, not wanting the hot-headed Estalian to kill this most valuable prisoner of war.  "There are men across the bridge that need your rifles more than these."  He then turned his attention to Thomas Vitec.  "I will accept most of your terms, but you must be taken prisoner.  I will allow the remainder of your men, and any civilians that wish to join them, to march back to Domzale."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:16:44 PM
Moslac, Town Square, IC 2524

Thomas nodded his head. "So be it." Thomas passed his standard to one of his guards, then marched up to the General, drew his sword and reversed it, offering the hilt to the man. "I would want to know your intentions and the reason you attacked my town."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:18:36 PM
   Donixote spit on the ground in anger before he turned to Arathos. "I have read Alejandro's reports, this man harbored the assassin of Diego! He is a coward and he refused my sub-commander's terms, he deserves to be put down like a  dog! Bandolieros! Listo!"  On Donixote's command the handgunners began to present their arms, fingers ready to pull the triggers/levers.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:19:59 PM
Arathos took the offered sword, and turned again to Donixote.  "We have him prisoner, we can question him about the assassin and ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.  Surely you are not so barbaric as to lower yourself to the level of Deigo's murderers?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:21:29 PM
Donixote spat once more this time closer to Arathos. "I will agree only if MY MEN get to torture this dog and make him PAY for what he has done! I will see his flesh torn to ribbons before his very eyes!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:25:29 PM
Arathos had a strong aversion to torture, but he was losing control of the Estalian.  "I will allow you to do this to the man responsible for Deigo's murder; if it is not this man, if he had nothing to do with it, then you will not be allowed to torture him.  If, however, he hired the assassin, or refuses to surrender all he knows about the assassin, then I will consider him complicit and you may do as you wish.  Acceptable?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:26:20 PM
Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas signaled for his remaining halberdiers to go back to the bridge and retreat to Domzale. One of them, the drummer boy ran back to the waiting men while Ruger, the sergeant spoke up. "No sir, we're sticking with you" Thomas nodded to the man, proud of his guards.

At this moment there was a fanfare as the reinforcements under Captain Tibius arrived, some 400 men and a small artillery train of five cannons. The army stood on the opposite bank of the wide river, assembling their men.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:32:10 PM
   Donixote spat at Aratho's words before he pulled back behind his handgunners. Donixote raised his arm, ready to give the command to fire on the surrendering Thomas.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:33:07 PM
Arathos cursed, and yelled at Thomas.  "Get you and your men over here now, or you'll be cut down!"  He then turned to Donixote.  "Give those prisoners time to cross, then butcher anything you like on the other side; we'll discuss what should be done with him after this.  I give you my word as a fellow soldier I won't allow the murder of an innocent emissary in my lands to go unpunished."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:34:08 PM
   Donixote turned to Arathos, speaking in a clam cold voice. "You have 2 minutes."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:35:20 PM
Arathos sighed with relief, and yelled to Thomas Vitec's halberdiers.  "You have one minute to lay down your arms and join your leader.  Make haste!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:39:41 PM
Thomas was fuming. The Dawnstrider was not a man of his word. Thomas' men were supposed to be allowed to go home, yet here he was ordering his mercenaries to fire on them as they retreated. The man was an animal. And who knows what he had done with Stefan, murdered no doubt.

As word spread of the surrender to Captain Tibius, his infantry started withdrawing, helping the wounded and civilians. Yet Thomas noticed red and yellow coloured Estalians readying cannon in the ruins this side of the river. There was no honour among these easteners, and Thomas only hoped Matthias could avenge this travesty.

The Halberdiers dropped their weapons to the floor, the twelve loyal guards walking to their commander and standing around him in formation.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:43:39 PM
Arathos turned to Thomas.  "Are those men across the bridge part of your surrender, or are they here to renew the attack?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 03:45:54 PM
   Donixote's men prepared for battle, but not a shot was fired, they all waited and hung on the balance of Donixote's arm. Donixote himself, glared angrily at the situation, his arm poised to drop.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:47:09 PM
The Eastern Front, Border Princes IC 2524

"They are my long-awaited reinforcements. They are here to establish the new border on the river. I would like to know the reason that warranted you to take my brother hostage on a peaceful mission."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:51:18 PM
Arathos turned to Donixote.  "Hold your fire until I give the order; we may be done here.  I'll throw in a bonus for your troubles, and we'll settle the business with the assassination afterwards."  He then turned his attention back to Thomas.  "I took your brother hostage after I recieved word of Black Company raiding parties attack a few of my smaller villages without provocation, and his bodyguard responded by smashing a whiskey bottle over my head and trying to flee."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:54:02 PM
The Eastern Front, Border Princes IC 2524

"The raids were in reply to aggressive tactics by mercenaries in your employ! We attacked in response to you trying to encroach upon our lands!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 03:55:49 PM
"I never hired any mercenaries before this afternoon.  My men were escorting a representative of this Estalian army to speak with me, but he was assassinated before he arrived."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 03:59:18 PM
The Eastern Front, Border Princes IC 2524

"Troops accompanied by men under the Dawnstrider standard made aggressive moves, a scout was pursued by a large force deep into my lands. I assume Prince Stefan has not been harmed in any way?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 04:04:45 PM
"What 'agressive moves'?  My men were escorting Estalian emissaries when some deranged huntsmen killed him and caused a number of my soldiers to be killed in retaliation.  Then your troops start raiding my town without warning, and you claim that this was in response to their aggression?  What were they doing, bleeding menacingly on your crops!?  Your Prince is in my care; he was wounded while trying to escape with his bodyguard, but he is alive and being tended to; I did not expect him to be injured, but then again I didn't expect him to flee when I told him I wanted to bring him back to Domzale to talk this out."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 04:09:00 PM
The Eastern Front, Border Princes IC 2524

By now, there were troops the other side of the river digging in cannons either side of the bridge and crossbowmen making ready behind the ditches created by Thomas' men.

A quarter of the force marched north to reinforce the crossing at Vidovdan.

Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas shook his head. "Your mercenaries and men made illegal moves on our borders and went back on your word of having peaceful diplomatic relations with The Kingdom of Karoly. What will the Don make of all this? The majority of the army is in the north conquering lands, I would not like to be here when he comes."

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 04:14:42 PM
   Donixote grunted. "Clap him in irons and send him back to the bagage train... I will torture him later, send a messanger to those troops across the way, inform them their commander has surrendered and if they do not give in, my cannons will open fire on them... I am not afraid of an exchange of Artillery fire. Do it now Arathos, or I will open fire... My arm grows tired and your time short."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 22, 2009, 04:17:35 PM
Moslac, Town Square

"Neither would I."  Arathos nodded, and his men moved to escort the Vitec back to their camp.  He went towards the bridge, and called out to the men on the other side.  "Soldiers of Domzale!  Thomas Vitec has arranged his surrender, and you may retreat peacefully back to Domzale if you choose!  If you do not leave the town, you will be considered combatants that have refused to follow those terms, and we'll prepare to take the town by force.  You have until sunrise!"    Arathos then walked over to Donixote.  "Thank you for your patience; if they won't withdraw, do what you must to drive them out.  I'll be interrogating the prisoner if you need me."

OOC: And with that I need to leave to run some errands and prepare for work...hopefully the chaos that follows will be minimal.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 22, 2009, 04:37:08 PM
East of Mortensholm, several weeks ago

Graf Edric rode at the front of the column, ahead of his knights.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/SollandPhoto4.jpg)

His personal banner was at his side, held aloft by captain Vincent, and two standards of Mortensholm flew behind him. No drums or singing were heard, and the column moved solemnly along the valley, westwards towards their besieged hometown.

A regiment of halberdiers marched upon the knights' southern flank, led by a clutch of officers also on foot.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/SollandPhoto3.jpg)

All were armed and armoured, ready for battle at any moment.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 04:39:36 PM
((Nice, some time here when I am done with my Estalians, I'll post my pics. Bravo, Bravo!))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 22, 2009, 04:40:39 PM
The Domzale side of the river, Border Princes IC 2524

Tibius Litzen was an old general. A long-serving soldier and a capable commander. The enemy had taken the Town of Moslac and captured the Don Thomas and his men. There was no way he was going to march his men back to Domzale, he was going to make the river the new border. The cannons were getting dug in on this side of the bank, covering the bridge and aiming at the town. His men were throwing up earth siege works and creating a sizeable fort to hold back the invaders.

A man was calling across the river. Something about surrender and marching back to Domzale. Tibius was having none of that. They would hold the invaders here, he'd be damned if they would invade his ancestral homeland south of the Hrargir Forest. The enemy must be running low on ammunition and had been fighting all night. They would also have to spread their forces between Vidovdan and here, the cavalry raids from captain Bukov would strangle their supply lines.

---

Alphonse sat down on the rampart, surveying the burning town. The fires from the houses were lighting up the entire area. He was exhausted, the fighting had been heavy and many an Estalian and Dawnstrider had been died by the huntsman's hand. He thought they'd hold the town for longer. The first enemy attack was repulsed with ease, the enemy infantry had no siege ladders and were hacked down as they tried to climb the few ropes and grappling hooks. Then that blasphemous monstrosity just smashed through the gates, firing it's cannon on the move, and the murderous steam gun melted the skin from the defenders.

He thought they had broken them with the volley fire and grape shot, but their disciplined cavalry charged through the smoke, cutting down Alphonse's unit. The huntsman had barely made it to the bridge. He gave thanks to Don Thomas and his Black Halberdiers for sacrificing themselves to give the crossbowmen time to get across the bridge.

Woo, been wondering where Padre's picture book had gotten to!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 22, 2009, 04:47:34 PM
   Donixote watched the Dawnstriders Part, taking Thomas back with them. Seeing the enemy hold their ground and not uproot and flee, Doni knew something was brewing. Turning to his officers he gave the command. "Pull back from the town, go back to the Earthen fort, burn the town... all of it..."

  With that the Estalians pulled out, leaving nothing but burning buildings behind. The Estalians gave the populace that had not fled already, the chance to flee, their sword arms ached too much to butcher innocents. Donixote himself did not approve of the idea of putting innocents to the sword, instead he gave them free pass, even going so far as to give up some of his supplies to those civilians that wished to stay with the Estalians. It seemed like a kind move, and to most it seemed to be an act of pure kindness, but to Donixote, it gave him an idea.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 23, 2009, 05:35:48 AM
Arathos sighed as he entered his command tent, Thomas and his men under guard just outside.  All of the Seven were there, save Maialen (who was tending to Schwarzbaum and the injured Stefan), and he looked to the map rolled out on the table after dismissing the salutes.  "Well, we've taken Moslac, and if we break through these reinforcements, we'll have a clear line to Vidovdan.  Also, from what I've learned so far, the Grand Army of Solland, which I was not aware existed, has moved to lay siege to Mortensholm.  That means that the greater part of the Black Company is going to be preoccupied at the moment, so we shouldn't have to worry about a relief force any time soon if that 'Grand Army' is half as large as the huntsmen tell us."  He pondered, considering his next move.  Suddenly, his eyes lit up.  "We've got the river right here, and Marheim isn't that far down south of us.  We'll send a messenger by ferry, he can move swiftly with the current."
     "What's the purpose in that, General?" Feldon seemed a bit confused, yet intrigued, by this line of imagination.  "A messenger for whom?"
     "For Rheinhardt.  He's still in Marheim, with a sizable chunk of our army; not enough to be a major threat to the entire Black Company, but we've got a large portion tied up here in Moslac, and another big piece under siege in Mortensholm.  They can't possibly have that many men left to garrison the city itself."  He grabbed the first piece of vellum he could lay hands on, and started furiously preparing a missive.  "We'll send word for Rheinhardt to march on Domzale itself; he's got infantry, handgunners, a unit of heavy cavalry and the lion's share of our artillery!  He'll be able to really put them in a bind!"
     "Sir," Eathelyn stepped forward, "this does not seem wise.  With so many of our forces on these two fronts, we could be vulnerable."
     "That's right, we could..." Arathos mused as he anxiously fanned the ink dry, getting a bit of sealing wax and his signet ready.  "That is, unless we somehow find ourselves in command of an additional army that can fight in Moslac while a portion of our men here retreat to Schwarzbaum to respond to any crisis that presents itself.  Fortunately, we have hired just such an army, and more are on the way.  We'll pay them to take Vidovdan for us, and bolster our numbers here while Otto takes a few men with him back to Schwarzbaum so our eastern borders are safe from predation."  There was no immediate answer in the tent, but the countenances of his peers suggested they were growing to like this idea.
     "Do you really believe Rheinhardt will succeed in taking Domzale, General?" Feldon asked.
     "He doesn't have to, he just needs to keep them occupied and put the fear of our wrath into Don Matthias, wherever he is."  Arathos sealed the message and left the tent to have it sent by courier with all possible haste south.  Arathos took no chances, and the courier was taken by ferry and given an escort of a dozen armed guards, who were under instructions never to let him wander alone for any reasons, even the call of nature (and to stay away from woods, even for the call of nature).  These huntsmen seemed to leap from the trees, and he would not let them bring down this messenger if he could prevent it.  On his way back, he sent a message for Donixote to join him as soon as possible to interrogate the prisoner, discuss pay, and divvy the current spoils.  It also asked him to cease any hostility against the town proper for the moment; they had won the town and it was considered Dawnstrider land now, so pillaging and plunder were not acceptable.  As he arrived at the entrance to his tent, he nodded to Thomas and held open the flap to the command tent.  "Herr Vitec, if you would be so kind as to join us, we have some questions that need answering."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 23, 2009, 10:30:03 AM
Mortenholm, Border Princes, Srping IC2524

There were desperately few defenders left in mortensholm, and the town itself was a ruin that would take years to rebuild. The people were hungry, scared and devestated by the losses they had suffered.

Uryens de Crux trembled with barely controlled anger as he paced up and down the remains of the main square.

"He calls himself a king and yet does this to people, not since the seiges of Praag and Middenheim have I seen such barbarity perpetrated on human beings, to simply rain slaughter on the townsfolk, to what end? To none, none I tell you!

Heads on stakes? Are they beasts, madmen or both? The Black Company they call themselves, well that is most appropriate, black by name and black by deed!"

His assembled officers murmered in agreement.

"Send out scouts and riders, they cannot be far, find them. Search for the Graf too, he must be on his way back. Between us we can find and encircle this man who would be king, then we shall show him the way war is waged upon tyrants.

In the mean time, begin the rebuilding of the defences, and the burying of the dead of this town, send to our baggage for the priests of Shallya and of Morr, they have much work to do"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 23, 2009, 02:11:52 PM
The Dawnstrider Camp, Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas heard his name mentioned, nodding to his men seated near the wagon he followed the guard to Arathos' tent. It was a simple design, just canvas with the Dawnstrider emblem embroided on the side. Thomas straightened his tunic and stepped through the threshold.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 24, 2009, 05:48:16 AM
The other members of the Seven stood around the table (save Erberk, he was far too important), nodding once to Thomas as he entered.  Arathos moved to join them, a pair of guards at the entrance making sure Thomas did not try to flee; he seemed like an honorable man, but so did Ladislaus before he tried his ill-advised escape attempt.  "Herr Vitec, and if there is a more proper title to be used to address you, pray tell me now so we can continue this respectfully, we have some questions about a man your men are harboring.  You see, this all started when a group of Estalians came through some villages bordering my towns the other day, and put a few of the smaller hamlets to the sword.  The men responsible were executed, but their commanding officer came by a few days later.  He apologized for the incident and made no attempt to justify or defend their actions; he agreed justice had been served.  A group of huntsmen, who had helped bring the murderers to justice, apparently assumed these new Estalians were just as guilty as the last ones, and took it upon themselves to heap bloody vengeance upon them without provocation.  The new Estalians then attacked a number of my men, believing the huntsmen were in my employ, in retaliation.  We managed to end this peacefully, and explain the truth to the Estalians.  They tracked the assassin, and his followers, to one of your towns.  This one, to be precise.  So, you can understand why they are angry: they want the man who killed one of their beloved leaders for no reason at all, a man who approved of the justice we brought to his wayward scouts and was killed anyway.  I ask you: do you know who this assassin is, or where he may be found?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 24, 2009, 11:55:18 AM
Thomas nodded to what Arathos had to say, understanding him. "Herr Vitec will do fine. Well this all started when a villager was being pursued by a large band of these Estalians and their dark skinned servants. They encroached upon the land of the King of Karoly in sufficient numbers to alarm our borders. We fired a warning shot with one our cannon, a universal sign in the Border Princes, yet they kept coming and built a fortified camp at the edge of the camp. My forces garrisoned in the town were insufficient to fight a pitched battle so there was a standoff. The villager told me they were in the employ of the Dawnstriders and several of your Knights rode with them, which means to me the Dawnstriders are mobilising against the Kingdom. I called for reinforcements and they arrived once you captured me and my men, they are now camped the other side of the river."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 24, 2009, 01:44:52 PM
Hey! Inarticulate. I'm not sure I got the description of the Black Company's banners exactly right, but I reckon it must be in the ball park.

You wrote: "The flag of the Kingdom of Karoly, Sable with gules bars and the Don's personal heraldry of a raven in black and white ermine". What follows is my best guess.

Here are the two pike regiments sporting the banners that'll appear in my next Bat Rep re: Matthias vs Graf Edric ...

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/SollandBlackCoPikemen.jpg)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 24, 2009, 01:48:49 PM
My friend, they look absolutely excellent!

I think the commitment you (and everyone else) are putting into the campaign is making it a winner.

Bravo! :eusa_clap:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 24, 2009, 11:46:22 PM
Awesome! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 25, 2009, 12:08:58 AM
oooh lovely lumps for cannon to aim at ;)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 26, 2009, 08:01:08 AM
Note: This battle took place several weeks ago - before the current date.

Against the Odds for Mortensholm
(2000 pts Empire vs. 3000 pts Dogs of War)

They were close now. The sound of the Black Companies’ artillery pounding at the castle walls had been their marching beat for nigh upon two hours, and now they could even smell the sulphurous smoke emitted by those same hellish machines. There was no man amongst them who was not filled with rage at the thought of what was being done to their home, a feeling so strong it was hardly tempered by the fact that they knew the Black Company could muster a force much, much larger than anything Graf Edric could put upon the field.

The Graf knew the full truth of it. His scouts had returned with their assessment of the enemy’s strength, and it was easily twice his own. Even if the Don left several regiments behind to watch the castle and thus guard against any sallies, his men would still significantly outnumber the Graf’s forces. Edric cursed the fact that his army was without artillery, but it had, after all, been intended for a winter campaign clearing the Yetzin valley of greenskins, and not for a pitched battle with the army of a powerful Border Prince (one who had begun to call himself King).

Thus Graf Edric’s mind was cluttered with concerns as he watched his army deploy for the final advance. Of course, he knew what the field of battle would be like, for it was his very own garden – the land outside his town of Mortensholm. The scouts had told him how it had changed since he was last there: how there was now an all but abandoned circumvallation of bastions and siege-works extending around to the south and east, from the river to the cliff; how the town itself lay in ruins, battered and burned by murdering engines, with the Graf’s army settled like carrion amongst the rubble; and how the very mortars responsible for the destruction now sat quiet and abandoned, their awful work done.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/FieldofBattle.jpg)

The Graf would approach from the east, the only real option, and had ordered his army in such a way as to give the enemy as little time as possible to react. He could not hope for complete surprise, for the town commanded a view down the valley, but he might squeeze some tiny advantage from a rapid advance, forcing the enemy to deploy hurriedly and perhaps thus haphazardly.

His own Horse were all deployed upon the right flank, with the Light Horse and Pistoliers furthest out, then Captain Vincent and himself each leading one of the two companies of Knights. The Free Company followed the Knights, with instructions to march up to fill the gap when the noblemen advanced.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm1.jpg)

The centre of the line had the massed Foot soldiers – two regiments (one of Swordsmen, one of Halberdiers) with their detachments of Handgunners and Swordsmen. Amongst them lurked the two wizards. Upon the far left moved the Skirmishing Archers, the best that Edric had available to manoeuvre upon that flank, considering he had massed all his Horse upon the right.

In Mortensholm horns were blaring and drums beating, sounding the ‘Alarum’. Soldiers scrabbled through the streets to muster upon the field outside. Pikes were dragged along cobbles as their bearers stumbled and pushed, hooves threw up sparks as horsemen forced their way through the mass of Foot. Several light cannon were already moving into place, having previously been left upon the town’s siege-works as too small to take up room on the new line facing the castle, where the larger pieces were emplaced.

Somehow, from what at first sight appeared to be chaos and confusion, the line was ordered. It was all Don Matthias could do to match the enemy’s deployment – anything fancier would have led to muddlement. It was a neat and simple order, easily delivered, and easily understood. And his men, nearly all professionals of years’ experience, carried it out with efficiency.

His own skirmishers, Estalian Duellists, came up on the far right, thus facing Edric’s Archers. The Don’s only wizard on the field, the Marienbuger Jan Van Junge, was amongst them, having just returned from a pleasant walk to the south of the town, where there was no smoke of brimstone nor squabbling dogs (both the human and the animal kind.)

The core of the Black Company’s Foot, two regiments of Pike and the Tilean Paymaster Carlo Atobello and his Bodyguard took the centre-right, angling to face the enemy Foot. Three artillery pieces were emplaced centre and left, with the Horse also facing their equivalents on the opposing side.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm2.jpg)

The two companies of Heavy Lancers were led by Don Matthias (Game note: as ‘Borgio the Besieger’) and his Mercenary Captain Rudolph Litzen (Game note: as Mercenary General ). The Light Horse arrayed themselves on the Don’s right flank, while the Norsemen marched behind being the last to reach the field. Two regiments of Crossbow did the best they could to order themselves on the left flank, both hoping that when the Horse advanced they might find a target or two for their quarrels.

Battle to follow ….
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 26, 2009, 10:09:30 AM
Part Two

Hoping to keep what little initiative he had obtained, Graf Edric began issuing commands. Perhaps if he could bring his Horse to bear effectively, then the enemy’s cannons would lose the chance to rain destruction upon his army? All the Horse upon the right moved up cautiously, positioning themselves in the hope that they would be the ones delivering charges upon the foe, and not receiving them. The Pistoliers sought temporary shelter behind a pair of ruins, and prepared to make their dash through the gap ahead of them. The Light Cavalry, mercenaries, matched the Pistoliers’ caution and also moved tentatively forwards. Both knew there was a sizeable body of Crossbowmen upon the other side, as well as some Heavy Lancers.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm3.jpg)

Upon the far left flank the skirmishers also jogged forwards. They had a mind to shoot into the flank of the enemy pikemen, if they could position themselves satisfactorily. The massed Foot, however, merely edged forwards, with the Free Company joining their line. They intended that the Handgunners would have as much chance as possible to play bullets against the enemy.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm4.jpg)

Now began the Black Company’s advance. The Graf’s cautious mood, it seemed, was infectious, for the Don’s own Foot regiments also moved somewhat cautiously, for as they advanced they did not cover the full distance they might.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm5.jpg)

Pike tips glinted and the huge banners of the young Kingdom of Caroly fluttered in the breeze as ‘Instancibile’ and ‘Resplendente’ moved up to keep the line with the Carlo Atobello and his Bodyguard on their left.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm6.jpg)

Upon the left of the Don’s line, he and his own Bodyguard nudged their mounts forwards, while Rudolph and the other Heavy Lancers wheeled so that they might better face the centre of the field, and so the Crossbow behind them had a view of the two ruins where the enemy’s Light Horse were hiding.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm7.jpg)

The Norsemen moved up to the side of the central brace of cannons while the Duellists and Jan Van Junge the Wizard moved to conceal themselves in the trees. Suddenly all three cannons let loose, each felling a knight so that poor Edric was left with only two companions. Captain Vincent winced at the sight of what had been done to his Lord’s guard, but tried to conceal hit concern from his own knights.

“Steady, gentlemen,” was all he managed to say, but his own men barely heard them, for all were thinking that the enemy certainly knew how to work their artillery. Would these men be similarly blown to pieces in the next few minutes?

Crossbow bolts lifted two pistoliers out of the saddles and threw their lifeless bodies to the ground. Their champion decided that he could hesitate not a moment longer, and began to issue the order to advance. At the same moment Edric knew he could not linger, and led a desperate charge at the Rudolph leading the ‘Caricare’ Lancers. Two Knights quickly fell in the ensuing melee, one from each side, leaving Edric and his Standard Bearer barely holding their own and facing a flank charge from the Don himself.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm8.jpg)

The two wizards managed to cast a little magic, steadying the hands of the handgunners with the Portent of Far, but young Therese then miscast for the second time and burned herself in the process. Nevertheless the successful spell proved its worth as two of Don Matthias’ own Lancer Bodyguard fell to the bullets. Two pikemen also died from bullets and arrows, while the Pistoliers moved right up to the Crossbowmen and fired a fusillade of shots at them, slaying four. But the Don’s men proved willing, and refused to be panicked by the loss. Laboriously they reloaded their crossbows and made ready to give as they had received.

Don Matthias, barely noticing that two of his men had fallen so close to him, spurred his Lancers on and into the side of the Graf. Because Edric was caught up in a personal fight with Rudolph, however, all that The Don could do was cut down the last of Edric’s own Bodyguard.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm9.jpg)

The Light Horse slammed into the Handgunners with Therese, knowing that they could surely drive the petty unit off. This they did, and although they failed to reach the fleeing foe to finish them off, they made sure that Therese fell to their spear tips before she could turn tail.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm10.jpg)

Once more the massed Foot moved on, and again they were careful to maintain their line, and thus sacrificed some movement to do so. The central Crossbow regiment, who had yet to contribute to the fight, reformed into two ranks – they knew that soon they would have targets and wanted to be ready. Their fellows to the left were fully occupied, however, and now brought down four of the Pistoliers. Somehow the surviving pair, perhaps too dazed to react, stood their ground!

The three cannons were not so effective with their second shot. Perhaps one had been allowed to rust a little lying in the siege-works, for it now blew itself to pieces and tore its crew apart. The next overshot the enemy, but the last ripped through a knight and three Free Company.

Graf Edric was suddenly gripped with fear (little did he know its supernatural origins – the magical artefacts carried by Don Matthias) and unthinkingly he fled from his foes. Both the Black Company’s Lancers and their leaders, however, restrained themselves from pursuing. They were wise enough to see that to do so would put themselves right in front of the enemy and risk flank charges.

“No,” thought Don Matthias, “let him run.”

He would win this battle, and he would do so with tactical cunning and precision. His men laughed and jeered at the fleeing enemy Lord, but none broke ranks and followed him.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm11.jpg)


Turn 3 to come soon ….
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 26, 2009, 11:20:27 AM
Padre, I think you've grown tired of hearing this:

But damn you are amazing!

Been looking forward to this battle!

If you want specific names for characters in the Don's army:

Jan Van Junge - Marienburger wizard.
Carlo Atobello - Tilean Paymaster - close friend of the Don.
Rudolph Litzen - Young (and impetuous) captain, Native nobleman of the Borders.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 26, 2009, 11:39:47 AM
More great stuff from a master! :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 26, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
By the way, what figures are you using for the pikes? Are those foundry?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 26, 2009, 06:03:33 PM
Thanks guys.

@ Inarticulate: Some are Foundry, others are old 100 Years Wars halberdiers converted to carry pikes, but I got them in the 1980s and I don't know what company they are. Some might even be really old GW, I think.

Will try to do part three ASAP. In the meantime, as I have messaged you, remember that this battle occurred in the past, several weeks ago. Please feel free to ignore it and get on with the current events of Uryens and the Ogres (etc) arriving at the end of the pass. Graf Edric's army are long gone by then, but Matthias is still there. (Does this give a clue as to who might win this 3000 vs 2000 point battle?)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 27, 2009, 07:43:28 PM
Part 3

Perhaps more out of desperation than bravery, the surviving Pistoliers charged the large crossbow unit facing them. Meanwhile, Captain Vincent, horrified to see his noble Lord and master forced to flee from the foe, led his own Knights in a charge against Don Matthias and his Bodyguard. The Light Horse bravely attempted to support Vincent’s efforts by charging the other Black Company Lancers commanded by Rudolph Litzen.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm13.jpg)

Less dramatically, but no less dangerously for the men doing it, the Archers on the far left flank threw themselves at the Estalian Duellists in the trees, hoping at the least to slay the enemy wizard Van Junge.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm12.jpg)

Graf Edric, ashamed to be seen fleeing by his massed ranks of Foot soldiers, no matter that the cause had been impossible odds, halted his horse and turned to see what he could possibly do to regain his honour and assist his brave men. His two wizards had managed magically to imbue the Graf’s army with some little fortune as they both brought the second Sign of Amul to bear. Maybe a bit of good luck could turn the battle?

It seemed possible, for the Archers somehow broke the Duellists, who should have been very much their betters in combat. The Estalians, perhaps as they now knew the little copse of trees so well (having crept around for long enough within it), made their way more rapidly through it and thus outran the Mortensholm men. The wizard Van Junge ran with them, beginning to wonder whether he really ought to have sought out safety with a larger regiment rather than this band of desperadoes.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm14.jpg)

The Light Horse, though receiving some casualties, held their own against the Lancers, but Captain Vincent found that even the magical fortune summoned by the allied wizards could not help him. He and his own unit were broken and cut down by the Don and his Bodyguard, who crashed into the flank of the now (surely?) doomed Light Horse. The Pistoliers also failed to inflict a forceful blow, and were sent running off by the Crossbow.

As the Duellists failed to rally themselves and stumbled onwards in confused flight, and as the Black Company’s Light Horse charged a second time at the surviving Handgunners they had failed to wipe out in the first charge (and then yet again failed to finish them off), the massed Foot marched slowly forwards. Their movement was made more cautious by the unsettling proximity of enemy archers to their rear.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm15.jpg)

The Norsemen, wondering whether they would get to strike a blow at the enemy in this battle, now began a much more rapid march forwards. Graf Edric spotted them close by, and considered whether the best he could now do was to support his Foot soldiers.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm16.jpg)

When the two remaining artillery pieces fired again, they only managed to bring down four enemy halberdiers. The Crossbowmen on the right killed the two panicked Pistoliers galloping away from them, while the other Crossbowmen unchivalrously wounded Graf Edric, though he was so caught up in a world of concerns that he barely noticed the wound. Unsurprisingly, the Don, Rudolph and the Lancers easily dispatched every Light Horseman before them, and hurriedly set about re-ordering themselves for their next attack.

The Free Company of Mortensholm, happy that the Handgunners had held the enemy’s Light Horse long enough, now charged into the rear of those same Horse. Sheer weight of numbers prevailed, and after dragging a handful of riders from their mounts, they chased the rest of them off the field with a cheer. Their Lord, Graf Edric, moved to stand close by his Foot soldiers, and was trying to decide whether he ought to attempt to get them safely away, so that they might fight against better odds another day.

Out on the far left of Edric’s massed Foot, the Handgunners were busy – they had already poured several volleys into the advancing Pikemen, and their success was beginning to tell. For a moment the Black Company’s professional Pikemen faltered, as if they might turn tail and flee, but the Captain leading them refused either to flinch or falter, and they took encouragement from him to continue their bloody advance. As they did so, it was the turn of the regiment next to them to lose some men as the Archers in the rear sent a bout of arrows into their midst.

Now it seemed the real fight would soon begin. Both Don Matthias and his second in command urged their Lancers on, and the Norse picked up their pace. Even the Duellists chose to run no further, but instead turned to face the enemy Archers with murderous (if somewhat tardy) intent. Most ominously of all, the Black Company’s foot regiments now approached very close to the foe. If the rightmost Pike regiment could withstand one more volley, then all three regiments looked set to be in combat in mere moments.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm17.jpg)

The cannons sent another two blue and white garbed halberdiers to the afterlife, and as their torn bodies spun bloodily to the ground, spattering crimson blood in a wide arc, the Graf ordered the survivors to charge into the exactly similarly armed Paymaster’s Bodyguard before them. The nearby Mortensholm Swordsmen, however, stood and watched as the deadly, multiple lines of pike-tips advanced towards them. They knew that to charge such a foe would gain them no advantage, and their sergeant thought that he might buy the Graf a little time by holding his men back.

Edric beckoned the detachment of Swordsmen to move up beside him, in the hope that they might prove even a temporary match for the large body of Norsemen fast approaching.

The Handgunners and Archers once more shot at the dwindling Pike regiment on the far flank, but once more the Captain somehow encouraged them to keep their order. It occurred to him that soon there would be too little men left in his regiment to make any sort of difference to the fight, although perhaps their awful but real contribution had been to receive shot after shot that might otherwise have hurt the rest of the army.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm19.jpg)

In the huge, central melee the Paymaster and his bodyguard proved the better skilled at arms, yet the Graf’s men, desperate in their desire to drive off these invaders, stepped over their fallen comrades and fought on. Their bravery would prove of little use, however, as the Norse were now close enough to deliver their blow. Graf Edric could only look on helplessly as the frenzied northmen smashed into the flank of his halberdiers, his most veteran garrison soldiers. He knew that only the gods could help them now. A mere moment later, he turned to see that the Black Company’s Pikemen had finally come to blows with his swordsmen.

The horrible press had begun, the screams and cries building in an awful crescendo. Sword, pike, halberd and dagger slashed, swiped, cut and thrust. Mortensholm’s fate hung in bloody balance.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm18.jpg)

Last part to follow tomorrow evening…
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 27, 2009, 09:34:41 PM
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: woo!

My favourite report of yours so far!

Kill the Imperial dogs!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 28, 2009, 06:30:25 PM
Part Four (Final Part)

Surprisingly the Swordsmen found it much easier than they had feared to fend off the pikes with their swords and shields, and thus held their ground. Not so the Halberdiers, however, who now broke and fled and were butchered by the frenzied Norsemen. The men of the Sword detachment were dismayed to witness the routing and massacre of their parent regiment, and thus they too turned tail and ran.

All this meant that the Norsemen’s pursuit took them right into Graf Edric – nigh upon twenty crazed warriors facing but one nobleman upon his barded steed.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm20.jpg)

The last few of the Black Companies’ rightmost pike regiment charged at the Handgunners that had dealt such destruction upon them. The Handgunners chose to flee from this threat, but had waited a moment too long, and the Pikemen ran them down to scatter them completely. Their part in this battle was done.

The Free Company, seeing their Lord so hard pressed, but unable to get to him themselves, chose instead to reform and face the advancing enemy Lancers. They hoped that they might at the least keep these enemy knights away from their Lord, perhaps long enough for him to extricate himself from the Norsemen’s clutches.

A little magic and an arrow or two felled another handful of Pikemen, but still the Black Company veterans would not give in. Graf Edric slew the Champion leading the Norsemen, but could not hold his own against the mass of pushing men with their round shields, no matter what prayers he uttered. Once again, and this time for the last time in this battle, he turned from them and galloped away. Riding right past the badly mauled Pikemen, he headed off into the hills.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm22.jpg)

He could do no more, not this day. The battle was lost, his home conquered, his heart broken. He would ride for an hour, until finally he halted and fell from his horse in exhaustion.

When exhaustion turned inevitably into a troubled slumber, he dreamed of vengeance.

Unknown to him, however, the fight had actually gone on a little longer. The Duellists charged the Archers who had previously shamed them, and discovered that the Mortensholm men were indeed made of strong stuff. They could not break them, and were forced to begin a long and bloody melee.

In the centre of the field, Don Matthias and his Lancers thought nothing of the enemy before them (the Free Company), and charged them with no concept that they might prove troublesome.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm23.jpg)

This was a mistake.

The Don hacked down two of the Mortensholm irregulars, and although the Foot soldiers could do no harm back, once again their numbers proved crucial. With a cry of ‘Mortensholm’ they surged forwards and startled the Lancer’s mounts, and before the Don could regain mastery of the situation, he and his men were fleeing away from the Free Company!

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/Mortensholm24.jpg)

Of course the Lancers behind stood ready to counter-charge the Free Company, and with such surprise and force as they could deliver, they knew that the Free Company could not withstand them.

Don Matthias might be ashamed of his panic and flight, but the battle was won nevertheless. He would remain master of the newly conquered Mortensholm, and without doubt the castle would soon fall to him.

But for how long?

Victory to the Black Company.

Game note: This was the end of turn 6. The Swordsmen and Archers and Free Company were all still upon the field and fighting, which surprised me considering the 3000 to 2000 pt advantage to the DoW. Maybe DoW are considerably underpowered compared to Empire? Interestingly, the only game event ‘fudged’ in the above account was Don Matthias’ flight. The Free Company actually outran him and thus killed him and his Lancers in the pursuit. Because, however, we all know the Don is alive and kicking these several weeks later, I was forced to do the story fudge and take the one ‘fake’ photo of the entire battle – the very last one of the FC chasing after the Don. We shall have to assume that although his Lancers were caught and mauled, the ‘brave’ Don galloped that little bit faster and thus saved his neck.

PS: Thank you J and T for playing the ‘bad guys’ and giving me the chance to write this report.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 28, 2009, 10:49:16 PM
Bravo as ever Mr M.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 29, 2009, 10:22:21 AM
Outside Mortensholm, present day

Captain Joost did not know what to make of the man. Without doubt, the poor wretch had lost his wits, and was as bedraggled and filthy as any beggar, yet he did not have the look of a beggar. There was even something noble about the man.

The fellow’s ravings went on:

“All the gods, and all things that crawl upon the earth, be damned for blood spilled and blood poured and red rivers that scream. Know this, for I know it only too well, know this. Should not the sky darken when these things come to pass? Should summer become winter and yesterday become every day that is to come? What is mine is taken.”

It occurred to Joost that he now had a decision to make, and not an easy one. His master, the Baron de Crux, was a somewhat busy man, for any hour battle might be joined. There were armies of men and an army of Ogres to be commanded, and a Black Company of rogues to be found out and defeated. Here was a ruined town, pillaged of everything it might have offered, and a castle with a starving garrison, and all these hungry men and ogres to feed. And there was politicking to do, as well as the soldiers to command. All this so that Solland might be reborn, an act that many would see as rebellion.

So, yes, the Baron was a busy man. Considering this, should Joost trouble him with the finding of this madman? He might be refugee, or a deserter. He could be a cunning spy from the Black Company? Joost couldn’t know. But there it was again –something about this man that made Joost want to take him seriously, something that hinted at the man’s importance.

The ravings continued:

“A king, a king, is what he would call himself, but Usurper would be a better fit, Tyrant more apt, robber a more appropriate name. That black Don has ruined me and mine, and there is blood upon his hands that can never be washed away …”

Joost took a chance and interrupted the man, even though the scouts had said they could get no answer to their questions,

“Good sir, I am Joost (?), Captain of Horse to Baron Uryens de Crux, in the army of Solland reborn, and I would know who you are.”

The raving stopped, and the ragged man looked Joost in the eye. His shirt might be torn and grimy, but Joost could see it was of the finest linen. His boot (the one boot he wore) was that of a gentleman, or more accurately, of a Horse soldier such as himself.

Suddenly the man bowed curtly, as if to acknowledge Joost but in the manner in which a superior officer would do so. He then spoke,

“I am Graf Edric Steinkuhler the sixth, Lord of Mortensholm. But sir, you see me humbled, you see me brought low. There was a time not so long ago when this land was mine, a time when I led an army of brave men , but then came the Black army and their villainous Lord …”

Joost stopped listening for a moment, and instead turned to the scouts.

“Bring him, and make haste. My Lord Uryens must speak with this man.”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 29, 2009, 10:56:34 AM
Excellent report Padre!

I'm amazed the pikemen were so ineffectual - Though Empire Swordsmen are quite good.
I've never used Norse before - do they work well with shields?

And shame on the don for running from that rabble!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on April 29, 2009, 11:22:07 AM
Joost van Rooyen, of Marienburg, some time sailor, merchant, pirate and soldier of fortune (but no relation to the murderous dog of a similar name who was a former sailor, slave and pirate currently missing somewhere in the southlands who used to be found drinking in cellar tavern in Marienberg (well, your house))

As for Pike, many people will see them as overpowered but they are still just blokes, all those attacks still have to hit and they are still only St3

Pikes have rarely performed as I hope they might.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 29, 2009, 11:49:41 AM
14 miles south of Mortensholm, Border Princes, IC 2524

Béla Kinizi, Lancer Sergeant stood his horse surveying the road north. He was a man in his early twenties, native to the Domzale, the son of a first generation merchant-turned-noble family. The armour he wore was new and expensive, fresh from the armourers of northern Tilea.

His grisly task was one he did not relish. The Don had ordered the rotting heads of the Graf's army to be placed on spikes along the road south. His men wore scarves around their faces - though this was not much protection from the disgusting smell and many of his Lancers were vomiting by the side of the road. Béla was not sure about this tactic of the Don's, it did not settle with the young lad well.

There were a lot of heads and the task took a few hours to finish, but finally, their job done, Béla rode to the front of the forest of rotting heads and planted a banner of the Black Company firmly in the ground - a firm signpost to anyone brave enough to venture south.

Generally I've had good fortune with pikes, they're usually a steadfast unit which most players are terrified of, they focus their battle plans around them.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 29, 2009, 09:09:20 PM
Just North of Mentreda/Chateau-Herriot, Border Princes IC 2524

Prince Alain Herriot had positioned his forces on and around a low rise north of the village of Havertry.  The hamlet was one of several located around Chateau-Herriot, formerly called Mentreda.  Instead of keeping his men behind the walls of his large chateau, he had decided to ride out and protect his northerly most territory, when word had reached him of the Black Company’s lancers headed in their direction.

Now he sat upon his horse at the top of the hill with the Mentreda horsebowman named Mervin on one side, while his second in commmand, Sir Jacque de Monfourche, sat on the other.

"What the devil do we have here," said the Prince as he looked out over his army and towards the two columns of cavalry proceeding in his general direction, yet on opposite sides of the olive tree orchard that stretched out and down along the side of the road.

Mervin replied, "Your highness, those on the left are the lancers from the Black Company that I was mentioning to you yesterday, and it seems Hubert's horsebowmen are shadowing their movements along the way."

"Seems strange to me my lord, why would the Black Company only be sending these cavalry in the direction of your estate?   We have more than enough soldiers under your command to protect these lands from the likes of them", spoke Sir Monfourche.

"Well, perhaps the Don has made a miscalculation regarding Princess Beaucamp's response to their taking of Charleroi”, and then the Prince turned sharply to face Mervin.  “Looks like they’ve made faster progress towards us then what you expected, which means you’ll be making it back to your unit faster as well.  However, first I need you to ride out and see what these lancers want, and then return to me so that we can determine how to proceed from here.”

Mervin wasn’t thrilled with the idea of going by himself to meet with an entire column of potentially enemy cavalry, but arguing with the Prince wasn’t something he was interested in doing either, and so he replied, “Yes, your highness,” before riding off on his horse towards the column of Black Company lancers.

Then the Prince turned back towards Sir Monfourche, “ Ok Jacques, we will wait for an answer, but make sure your men are ready in case these lancers do some thing foolish.”

“I’ll alert the bowmen and men-at-arms, then prepare the main body of cavalry, and make sure the Mentreda militia stay off to one side,” replied Jacques.

“Good idea.  No need to place the rabble in a spot where our knights can do a better job.  Hopefully, if and when Mervin returns, then you and I can then determine how we’ll respond from there.”

 - - - - -

Hubert and the horsebowmen had kept their distance the entire time they had traveled south, staying on the flank of the Black Company lancers that had not deviated from their course on the main road between Mortensholm and Chateau-Herriot.  He was glad that the lancers had not attempted to drive he and his men off, for both units were made up of local Border Prince soldiers, and hadn't offended each other in years.  But now, as both columns of cavalry were nearing Prince Alain's men who had positioned themsleves for battle on and near a low rise north of Haverty, he became a little anxious as he watched his close friend and messenger, Mervin, riding away from Prince Herriot and towards the column of lancers on the road.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 29, 2009, 11:54:36 PM
Luitpold held up his hand, ordering his Lancers to halt. A rider was moving towards him, he did not look like a Bretonnian Knight, more like the cavalry that had been shadowing him. Luitpold nodded to the Lancer next to him, his personal standard bearer who unfurled the banner. With a touch to his horse's flanks, the ex-imperial Knight walked his force forward to the scout, awaiting him to speak first.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 30, 2009, 04:10:42 AM
General Arathos' Command Tent, Just outside the city of Moslac

Arathos sighed, shrugging his shoulders a bit.  "Well, then we have a problem.  We've entered into a full-blown war over what essentially appears to be a misunderstanding.  It's a bit late to end things just yet, I'll have to speak with your brother, I'm certain.  I'd rather not have to argue with my new Estalian 'guests' over whether or not it's alright to torture you to death, so maybe you can answer my next question quickly: where is the man who came to you, and gave word of the 'mercenaries' we had hired?  He is the assassin the Estalians are looking for, and they will not rest until they have him.  If you can tell me either where he is, or where you last saw him headed, I can spare your life and bring you to your brother, Stefan.  I assure you that you both will be treated well until all this is resolved if you cooperate.  If you won't, I can't promise I'll be able to restrain the Estalians, and therefore cannot guarantee your safety here."

Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

Stefan Vitec was being treated remarkably well for a prisoner of war, and seemed to be recovering well from his wounds.  Maialen and the priestesses of Myrmidia had worked frantically to heal him, using every prayer, spell, and mundane cure and salve they could find to help him.  He was not in top condition yet, but he was feeling better and his appetite was returning.  He was resting in his (guarded) quarters when lunch was brought to him: a whole chicken, some roasted vegetables, and a bottle of wine.  The servant smiled as he set the tray down, and offered a clean linen napkin.  A soldier in full plate armor, clearly a veteran or officer, entered next.  He held his cavalry helm tucked under his arm, and nodded to Stefan as he stopped before the table.  "Good morning, Herr Vitec.  I trust you are well today?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 30, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
The Dawnstrider Command Tent, Eastern Side of the River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas nodded to what the General said. "The huntsman, whose name I did not catch disappeared when the attack started, he most probably died in the defence, along with most of my men. I must also add that under the rules of war and the terms of my surrender a nobleman cannot be harmed once he has given up his sword. I'm sure you did not need to be reminded."

Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524
Stefan was as happy as he could be. He was far from the battlefields and safe as a prisoner of war. Hopefully after this ghastly mess cleared up[ and Arathos had done away with his Brothers, he would be able to pick up the spoils. A servant entered the room with his lunch, which improved Stefan's mood even more, another man entered the room behind the lunch tray, dressed in the armour of an officer.  "Ah good morning, I am indeed well, come to tell me the war is over?"

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 30, 2009, 02:41:29 PM
Luitpold held up his hand, ordering his Lancers to halt. A rider was moving towards him, he did not look like a Bretonnian Knight, more like the cavalry that had been shadowing him. Luitpold nodded to the Lancer next to him, his personal standard bearer who unfurled the banner. With a touch to his horse's flanks, the ex-imperial Knight walked his force forward to the scout, awaiting him to speak first.

Just North of Mentrada, Border Princes, 2524 IC.

Mervin took his horse out past where the forces of Prince Alain Herriot had been arrayed around and on the hill.  He then steered it over to the road slowing it slightly as to not appear too much in a hurry.  Riding up to the front of the column of Black Company lancers he brought his horse to a halt about a dozen yards or so in front of the slowly approaching column of horses, where it appeared by his demeanor that the leader of the cavalry rode alongside of his standard bearer.

"You gracious good sir, my lord, Prince Alain Herriot of the Chateau-Herriot, formerly Mentreda, and ruler of all the lands in the surrounding countryside south of our current position behind me on that hill, has ordered me to inquire as to why a company of lancers from the Black Company, have ridden forward in our direction, after he has heard of your leader's taking of Moslac which is now called Charleroi?"

- - - - -

Hubert saw his rider approach the front of the column of lancers bringing his horse to a stop.  He ordered his own horsebowmen to halt, but passed the word to ready their bows just in case.

- - - - -

Prince Alain continued to watch what was unfolding before him.  He saw that Sir Monfourche had already spoken to the archers and the men-at-arms, and was now riding towards the main body of knights.  The Mentrada messenger had now come to a stop in front of the column of lancers.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on April 30, 2009, 03:18:17 PM
The Dawnstrider Command Tent, Eastern Side of the River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

"Of course not, but with that answer I can ensure your safety and the Estalians' compliance.  You and your personal guard out there are going to be escorted to Schwarzbaum, where you will be held prisoner.  I will be accompanying you, and we will leave within the hour."  With that, the conversation was ended.  Arathos prepared a notice for Donixote before arranging for the prisoners and his men to leave with him.  Only Brimcon, Averrob, and Erberk were staying behind out of the Seven, and Erberk was given command of the situation.  The notice sent to Donixote read as follows:

"To the Esteemed Donixote Cajigal de Pluma,

Your services have been invaluable thus far, and I thank you for your men's valiant efforts to take this city for the Dawnstriders.  I have interrogated the captured officer, and he has proven compliant.  He did not knowingly harbor this assassin, nor hire him.  It appears the assassin has tricked our foes and was hiding amongst their men to avoid capture and execution at your hands.  The assassin is possibly amongst the dead in the city, but if you do not find a corpse fitting the description of him, he has fled across the river and is hiding amongst the remaining foes on the other side of the bridge.  I have left to handle a few matters at my capital, and will return in a couple days with word of a new job for your troops, and additional payment.  I am leaving my men here under the command of the dwarf Erberk; he will assist you in capturing the bridge and securing the river crossing.  It is vital you secure the bridge within three days time; I have reinforcements on the way who will need it.

-General Arathos, the Dawnbringer"

The town itself was damaged badly, but the Dawnstrider infantry had moved into the city to begin repairs.  The soldiers were working to repair the damaged buildings and hand out supplies to the population that had not fled further into Domzale (or was it Karoly now?), and were pleased to see the Estalians doing likewise.  Frederick carried the notice to Donixote, for he hoped to speak with the man and Alejandro about what had occured; he knew these Estalians had fiery tempers and he didn't want things to get out of hand while his general was away.  The general had left just at sunrise with his greatswords, the captured officer and his men, and a number of swordsmen as additional escorts.

Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524
"Indeed not, not yet at least.  A rider came here with great haste just before dawn bearing a message.  Moslac has fallen, and it appears your brother Thomas has been taken prisoner.  The general is coming here with all possible haste to reunite you two; I'm sure you must be very pleased to hear he is well."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 30, 2009, 04:23:48 PM
Just North of Mentreda, Border Princes IC 2524

"I am here on a mission of peace, I wish to speak to your lord, His Esteemed Highness Prince Alain and his noble court. My Lancers here are merely a bodyguard for myself, there is trouble in the north that warranted such company."

Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Captain Tibius Litzen looked over the expanse of water to the enemy troops clearing the town. Were they making ready to sally over the bridge? Tibius hoped not. He did not want to waste his men's lives on this battle. He had only four hundred men. All of them men of the elite Black Company, the cream of the Don's Armies. He would have to dig in and wait for the enemy.

Vidovdan was still open, no enemy troops had been seen that far north as of yet. The villages and towns around that northern stronghold had been decimated, the villagers and farmers fleeing to the safer Dawnstrider towns east.

Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524

Stefan was shocked that the enemy had defeated his brothers so quickly, yet he was still pleased, this opened up his options. "Ah so the war is over then? When can I see the general Arathos?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on April 30, 2009, 04:44:20 PM
    Donixote read the letter, he was displeased greatly. Handing the letter off to Alejandro, Donixote turned to Fredrick, nearly speaking in a tone of fear. "Ricardo will be here in a few days, you know of this... He will not be pleased to see me sitting here doing nothing. . . That "payment" better come soon, I hope it will be enough to calm him. I am not a man for bloodshed, I will stay my ground and wait, but pray Ricardo does not come in that time. . ."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on April 30, 2009, 07:39:02 PM
An attempt at a summary of the Border Princes aspect of the Solland thing so far …

Please correct this if I got parts wrong: perhaps even copy, convert and paste to do so. Keep in mind it is a short summary for orientation purposes. Mainly my own orientation, though as I am away this weekend, I'll probably lose track again!


Graf Edric of Mortensholm is off down the Yetzin valley chasing goblins.

Agrabog the Ogre Tyrant crosses the Winters Teeth pass northwards.

The Black Company (led by Don Matthias Vitec of Domzale) attacks various settlements, including those near Mortensholm.

The Don’s brother Stefan Vitec goes off east to parley with the Dawnstriders.

The Don’s other brother Thomas Vitec captures Vivovdan and Moslac.

Don Matthias and the Black Company besiege Mortensholm.

Stefan Vitec is escorted to Schwarzbaum to speak with General Arathos the Dawnbringer of the Dawnstriders.

The Black Company capture the ruined town of Mortensholm, and now besiege the castle next to it.

An Estalian called Leon and his knights cause murderous trouble in the south. The Dawnstriders attack and kill this band of Estalians, though one Rodreigo escapes.

Diego and Alexandro, officers of Donixote, an Estalian mercenary general, now parley with the Dawnstriders re: the bloody Leon affair.

Battle of Mortensholm – Graf Edric attempts to relieve Mortensholm, but fails and is defeated. He disappears into the mountains.

The Black Company fortify Moslac.

Captain Luitpold of the Black Company scouts south of Mortensholm with the Lancers (not needed in the siege of the castle).

The big Solland Alliance army (allied with the Ogre Agrabog and his army) begins its march south through the Winter’s Teeth Pass.

Stefan brags of the capture of Mortensholm and the destruction of Graf Edric’s army to Arathos, and offers an alliance versus the Bretonnians in the south.

At Mortensholm, Don Matthias is crowned King of Karoly, etc etc, and Graf of Mortensholm.

The Estalian Diego is assassinated by some local Border Princites (Alphonse). The Estalian Alejandro is distraught, leads to tense talks, but in the end an agreement with the Dawnstriders is reached, and the Estalians are to be employed by General Arathos in the war.

The Estalians and Dawnstriders march to Moslac.

Stefan Vitec is taken prisoner by the Dawnstriders, while Thomas Vitec’s Black Company patrols have begun probing the border and killing locals (again).

Donixote and the Estalian’s main force on the march.

Don Matthias sends a messenger to Princess Sophia (at what the Border Princites used to call ‘Matorea’) with an offer of alliance.

The Dawnstriders and Estalians now attack Moslac, defended by Thomas Vitec.

The big Solland alliance army is reaching the southern end of the Winter’s Teeth pass.

Don Matthias parleys briefly with the Sollanders, then retreats southwards whilst keeping his army in battle array.

Thomas Vitec defeated at Moslac and forced to surrender to General Arathos. Donixote angry that Thomas Vitec might be harbouring Diego’s murderers.

Captain Luitpold of the Black Company scouts Mantreda area.

Captain Tibius Litzen of the Black Company arrives on the western side of the Trebleca river facing Moslac.
Estalians burn Moslac.

General Arathos considers sending a force to attack Domzale itself, now that the Black Company is busy on both the Moslac and Mortensholm fronts.

The raving madman Graf Edric is found by the Sollanders near Mortensholm.

The Black Company with Don Matthias place the rotting heads of Graf Edric’s men on stakes to the south of Mortensholm.

Near to old Mantreda (now ‘Chateae-Herriot’) Prince Hain Herriot spies the Black Company Lancers led by Luitpold.

Stand off (with river between) involving Cptn Tibius of the Black Co, and the Dawnstriders and Estalians.
Vivovdan still in Black Company hands, and not besieged.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on April 30, 2009, 08:50:58 PM
Tbh I think that's a pretty comprehensive list.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on April 30, 2009, 08:54:34 PM
Great idea Padre! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

I've added some things and made a few changes regarding the events that include Bretonnian actions.  The amended version is included below.

Quote
Graf Edric of Mortensholm is off down the Yetzin valley chasing goblins.

Agrabog the Ogre Tyrant crosses the Winters Teeth pass northwards.

The Black Company (led by Don Matthias Vitec of Domzale) attacks various settlements, including those near Mortensholm.

The Don’s brother Stefan Vitec goes off east to parley with the Dawnstriders.

The Don’s other brother Thomas Vitec captures Vivovdan and Moslac.

Dmitriy, a traveling vendor from Matorea makes his seasonal report to Princess Sophia Beaucamp, current leader of the various Bretonnians who have arrived about a year back with their newest Errantry War in the Border Princes.

Don Matthias and the Black Company besiege Mortensholm.

Stefan Vitec is escorted to Schwarzbaum to speak with General Arathos the Dawnbringer of the Dawnstriders.

Captain Ferdinand Weisfechter of Matorean birth, but now serving under Princess du Beaucamp’s occupation is sent to Sainte Therese, formerly Brasov, with his reorganized Matorean units to bolster Princess Nadia du Pont’s forces.

The Black Company capture the ruined town of Mortensholm, and then besiege the castle next to it.

An Estalian called Leon and his knights cause murderous trouble in the south. The Dawnstriders attack and kill this band of Estalians, though one Rodreigo escapes.

Diego and Alexandro, officers of Donixote, an Estalian mercenary general, now parley with the Dawnstriders re: the bloody Leon affair.

Battle of Mortensholm – Graf Edric attempts to relieve Mortensholm, but fails and is defeated. He disappears into the mountains.

The Black Company fortifies Moslac.

Captain Luitpold of the Black Company scouts south of Mortensholm with the Lancers (not needed in the siege of the castle).

The big Solland Alliance army (allied with the Ogre Agrabog and his army) begins its march south through the Winter’s Teeth Pass.

Stefan brags of the capture of Mortensholm and the destruction of Graf Edric’s army to Arathos, and offers an alliance versus the Bretonnians in the south.

At Mortensholm, Don Matthias is crowned King of Karoly, etc, etc, and Graf of Mortensholm.

The Estalian Diego is assassinated by some local Border Princites (Alphonse). The Estalian Alejandro is distraught, leads to tense talks, but in the end an agreement with the Dawnstriders is reached, and the Estalians are to be employed by General Arathos in the war.

The Estalians and Dawnstriders march to Moslac.

Stefan Vitec is taken prisoner by the Dawnstriders, while Thomas Vitec’s Black Company patrols have begun probing the border and killing locals (again).

Donixote and the Estalian’s main force is on the march.

Don Matthias sends Captain Luitpold and the Black Company Lancers with an offer of an alliance for Princess Sophia de Beaucamp in Beauport, formerly called Matorea.

The Dawnstriders and Estalians now attack Moslac, defended by Thomas Vitec.

The big Solland alliance army is reaching the southern end of the Winter’s Teeth pass.

Don Matthias parleys briefly with the Sollanders, then retreats southwards whilst keeping his army in battle array.

Thomas Vitec defeated at Moslac and forced to surrender to General Arathos. Donixote is angry that Thomas Vitec might be harbouring Diego’s murderers.

Captain Luitpold with the Black Company lancers reach the Mentreda area, and are shadowed by Hubert's horsebowmen, as they both travel south.

Captain Tibius Litzen of the Black Company arrives on the western side of the Trebleca River facing Moslac.

Estalians burn Moslac.

General Arathos considers sending a force to attack Domzale itself, now that the Black Company is busy on both the Moslac and Mortensholm fronts.

The raving madman Graf Edric is found by the Sollanders near Mortensholm.

The Black Company with Don Matthias place the rotting heads of Graf Edric’s men on stakes to the south of Mortensholm.

North of Mentreda (now called ‘Chateau-Herriot') and the village of Haverty, Prince Alain Herriot meets the Black Company Lancers led by Luitpold.

Stand off (with river between) involving Cptn Tibius of the Black Co, and the Dawnstriders and Estalians.

Vivovdan still in Black Company hands, and not besieged.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 01, 2009, 06:17:39 AM
One minor change to that list, if I may.  The Estalian Rodriego did not escape, he was brutally cut down by the huntsmen under Alphonse as he fled the Dawnstrider cavalry charge.  It's a minor detail, but we don't want anyone worrying about a lone butcher appearing from the shadows hell bent on revenge!

Eastern Side of the River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

"Well, unless you have objections, the first thing we must do is secure the western side of the river, and drive off those last few defenders.  The General will be returning by tomorrow or the day after, and if we have not secured the bridge crossing by then, he will likely demand we spring into action immediately.  I know Erberk will not want to attack without your support, so the decision hinges upon you, sir."  Frederick sighed, his hand resting on his pommel as he considered whether or not his next words were wise.  "I know who the man is that slew your man, Diego.  I have not recognized him amongst the dead, so he is likely hiding, as the general guessed, on the other side of that bridge.  I offer my sincere apologies to you; it was my duty to see your man escorted safely to Schwarzbaum, and I failed that duty.  I want you to know I will do whatever I can to make amends for this."

The men worked in shifts, sleeping a few hours at a stretch to make up for the night of combat.  There were sentries sent to keep a watchful eye on Vidovdan, but it did not seem like the enemy had made much of an effort to fortify the town.  Marshall Rheinhardt was on his way, apparently, and once he came to relieve them and begin the invasion proper, they would likely move north to capture Vidovdan and secure the hold on the river.  It would only take him a day or two as well, if he moved fast (and he liked to move fast indeed), so it was possible that both Arathos and his men, and the other arm under Rheinhardt would arrive together, with the Estalian reinforcements, at once.  If so, they would have a very impressive force to invade Domzale, and make the brutal Don (now King, in his lands) reconsider his stance.

Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524
"Sooner than you think; according to the notice the General intends to leave for this town before dawn, and it is already several long hours since.  He will probably be here in time for dinner, Herr Vitec.  Shall I inform the chef of any special requests?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 01, 2009, 07:22:43 AM
Current, corrected version:

RECENT BORDER PRINCES' EVENTS UP UNTIL NOW

Graf Edric of Mortensholm goes off down the nearby Yetzin valley chasing goblins.

Agrabog the Ogre Tyrant crosses the Winters Teeth pass northwards towards Wissenland.

The Black Company (led by Don Matthias Vitec of Domzale) attacks various northern Border Princes' settlements, including those near Mortensholm.

The Don’s brother Stefan Vitec goes off east to parley with the Dawnstriders (Guardians of the Eastern Border Princes).

The Don’s other brother Thomas Vitec captures Vivovdan and Moslac on the northern reaches of the Trebleca River.

Dmitriy, a traveling vendor from Matorea makes his seasonal report to Princess Sophia Beaucamp, current leader of the various Bretonnians who have arrived about a year back with their newest Errantry War in the Border Princes.

Don Matthias and the Black Company besiege Mortensholm.

Stefan Vitec is escorted to Schwarzbaum (the fortress HQ of Dawnstriders) to speak with General Arathos the Dawnbringer.

Captain Ferdinand Weisfechter of Matorean birth, but now serving under Princess du Beaucamp’s occupation is sent to Sainte Therese, formerly Brasov, (south down the river from Moslac) with his reorganized Matorean units to bolster Princess Nadia du Pont’s forces.

The Black Company bombard, then capture the now ruined town of Mortensholm. Now besiege the castle next to it.

An Estalian called Leon and his knights cause murderous trouble in the south. The Dawnstriders attack and kill this band of Estalians.

Diego and Alexandro, officers of Donixote, an Estalian mercenary general, now parley with the Dawnstriders re: the 'Bloody Leon' affair.

Battle of Mortensholm: Graf Edric attempts to relieve Mortensholm, but fails and is defeated. He flees alone into the mountains.

The Black Company fortifies Moslac.

Captain Luitpold of the Black Company scouts south of Mortensholm with the Lancers (these men not needed for the siege of the castle).

The Solland Alliance army (allied and travelling with the Ogre Agrabog and his force) begins its march south through the Winter’s Teeth Pass.

Stefan brags of the capture of Mortensholm and the destruction of Graf Edric’s army to Arathos, and offers an alliance versus the Bretonnians in the south.

At Mortensholm, Don Matthias is crowned King of Karoly, etc ... etc, and Graf of Mortensholm.

The Estalian Diego is assassinated by some local Border Princites (led by one 'Alphonse'). The Estalian Alejandro is distraught, leading to tense talks, but in the end an agreement with the Dawnstriders is reached, and the Estalians are to be employed by General Arathos in the war.

The Estalians and Dawnstriders march to Moslac.

Stefan Vitec is taken prisoner by the Dawnstriders, while Thomas Vitec’s Black Company patrols have begun probing the border to the east and killing locals (again).

Donixote and the Estalian’s main force is on the march.

Don Matthias sends Captain Luitpold and the Black Company Lancers with an offer of an alliance for Princess Sophia de Beaucamp in Beauport, formerly called Matorea.

The Dawnstriders and Estalians now attack Moslac, defended by Thomas Vitec.

The big Solland Alliance army reaches the southern end of the Winter’s Teeth pass, where Mortensholm lies.

Don Matthias parleys briefly with the Sollanders, then makes an ordered retreat southwards whilst keeping his army in battle array.

Thomas Vitec is defeated at Moslac and forced to surrender to General Arathos the Dawnbringer. Donixote is angry that Thomas Vitec might be harbouring Diego’s murderers.

Captain Luitpold with the Black Company lancers reach the Mentreda area, and are shadowed by Hubert's horsebowmen, as they both travel south.

Captain Tibius Litzen of the Black Company arrives on the western side of the Trebleca River facing Moslac.

The Estalians burn Moslac town. They and the Dawnstriders are camped nearby.

General Arathos considers sending a force to attack Domzale itself, now that the Black Company is busy on both the Moslac and Mortensholm fronts.

The raving madman Graf Edric is found by the Sollanders near Mortensholm.

The Black Company with Don Matthias place the rotting heads of Graf Edric’s men on stakes upon the roads and paths going southwards from Mortensholm.

North of Mentreda (now called ‘Chateau-Herriot') and the village of Haverty, Prince Alain Herriot meets the Black Company Lancers led by Luitpold.

Stand off (with the River Trebleca in between) involving Captain Tibius of the Black Co, and the Dawnstriders and Estalians.

Vivovdan still in Black Company hands, and not besieged.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 12:53:13 PM
   Donixote sighed at Fredrick's words, he knew what this meant. More bloodshed, apart of him wanted this whole affair over while another part demanded revenge. Donixote nodded to Fredrick as he finished up, speaking in a forlorn voice Donixote explained his thoughts. "Ricardo will arrive, he will relieve me of my command and take full command himself. He will see what a mess this has become and maybe even strip me of my ranks. I don't care anymore, I've lost many men, a best friend, as well as countless officers. Ricardo will not tolerate such, in his words, incompetence. He is a smart man, but a brutal man, I want to save as many lives as I can, but I know it is not in my power to do so. All of my officers, even I, demand Deigo's murderer be put to the sword... We want JUST him... but it seems we will have to butcher those poor bastards across the bridge to get what we want. . . I honestly don't know what to do... I now know what Alejandro felt like... One minute I want to butcher all of these bastards, the next I want to save them from a fate not their fault. . . The sad part is, duty takes over before emotions, I will be sending ALL of my men across that bridge, I will order them to take prisoners, but my men will most likely kill them anyway even if they surrender. . . Do me a favor and send Arathos a letter, tell him I am sorry for acting like a monster earlier, and that it was a damn good experience serving next to him, tell him my Lord Ricardo is on his way and he best be ready, I know I'm not."

   Alejandro who was in the tent at the time, smiled at Donixote's words, he felt the same pitiful way. When Donixote finished, Alejandro bid Fredrick farewell and saluted Donixote before he went out of the tent. That night, Alejandro and the other officers assembled the army and prepared for battle, they will march across that bridge when the night is at its darkest, and when Donixote is at his drunkest.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 01:22:24 PM
Western Side of the River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

The Bridge was a newly built one of stone and wood, probably to help the Bretonnians in their errantry war. It was quite long and high, the Trebleca was quite a large river and swelled enormously in the spring thaw, it was wide enough for six men to march abreast or three horsemen. Both sides of the bridge were heavily fortified, cannon emplacements and earthworks with sharpened log stakes. Tibius stood looking down the stretch of the bridge, he thanked Myrmidia he didn't have to cross it, the enemy would be mercilessly butchered trying to reach his men. From what he could see, the enemy had not made any efforts to build boats or rafts to get their men across so they must be either awaiting orders or getting ready to cross the bridge itself.

Earlier that day, with his spyglass Tibius saw the heathen metal monstrosity piloted by those pagan dwarfs shift rubble. It was built like a very small green ship, and as survivors of the siege told him, was impervious to crossbow bolt and even cannon shot. They said it had a hull of a foot of hardened steel with inbuilt cannon and some sort of steam musket on a turret. He would have to think of something special if that thing came over the bridge.

---

It was growing dark now, torches were being lit in the Black Company camp, and Alphonse was looking forward to the brazier in the tent he shared with nine other men. The huntsman had helped himself to the stores of Captain Litzen's army. He now had a selection of three pistols on his baldric, a rugged leather sleeveless vest, a hideously sharp skinning knife and a strange bow contraption able to fire crossbow bolts in quick succession. A Weapon, one of the veterans told him that was modelled after the weapons taken from captured Dark Elves.

The Huntsman had gained a celebrity status among the men this side of the river, somehow news had trickled across that the foreigners were looking for the man that killed their officer. Alphonse was awash with gifts of drinks and food and was welcome at most fires among the men. Men were calling him 'Alphonse the Nightman' or simply 'Nightman'. Alphonse, knew that these events had ruined his simple life, the Foreigners had killed everyone in his village, including raping his wife and murdering his infant son. He had made these Estalians pay for their wrongdoings and was now suffering the consequences. He would have to leave soon, make himself scarce. There was news of a civil war in the north, perhaps he could hide hismelf up there.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 01:55:29 PM
Alphonse the Nightman

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld
5    6    8   4  5   2  8  6  10   

Cost: 225 Points

Equipment:
Hand Weapon, Repeater Crossbow, Brace of Pistols.

Special Rules:
Alphonse is Stubborn,
Hunter: The Nightman is a master huntsman and can work his way forward in battle unseen. Alphonse can be set up in the deployment phase in any piece of terrain outside the enemy deployment zone. He will remain hidden there, unable to be attacked until his player decides to unleash him.

Just what I thought Alphonse would be like. If he is too good, then feel free to change him. He looks pretty imba to me personally. Also if anyone more articulate than I wants to reword anything then feel free!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 02:50:30 PM
((EH, Alphonse is looking a bit beasty... Granted I don't know how Heroes are for DoW but those stats are better/nearly the same as Karlz' stats.... and Alphonse is a bit cheaper then Karl by 100... I thought he was just a normal huntsmen? An Average Archer of the Empire is  M Ws Bs S T W I  A Ld ))
                                                                          4  3   3  3  3 1 3  1  7
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 02:54:00 PM
((EH, Alphonse is looking a bit beasty... Granted I don't know how Heroes are for DoW but those stats are better/nearly the same as Karlz' stats.... and Alphonse is a bit cheaper then Karl by 100... I thought he was just a normal huntsmen? An Average Archer of the Empire is  M Ws Bs S T W I  A Ld ))
                                                                          4  3   3  3  3 1 3  1  7

Great, the reason I put him up here was for you guys to change his stats. I made him beasty because I think he's awesome. But yeah, If you want, change his stats to something you'd think would be better. And tbh he's more of a regiment of renown/special character just for this campaign, not a random huntsman.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 02:54:56 PM
((I'm saying hes is beasty, and I'm all for him being better then the average archer/huntsmen, but those stats would make an Elf cry.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 02:58:15 PM
((I'm saying hes is beasty, and I'm all for him being better then the average archer/huntsmen, but those stats would make an Elf cry.))

Yeah based him off a Skaven assassin from SoC.

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld
5    5    8   4  4   2  8  4   9 

Maybe? That's basically a Merc Gen which is awesome at shooting.
Also need your input for special rules. Might even add a unit for him to lead later on.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 03:11:42 PM
((Well remember, that is a trained assassin who was born, bread, and trained for war, who I think in fluff/lore are also trained in the martial arts of Cathay... For Alphonse I see him as a champion or a better then normal character. I was thinking more M 4 Ws 3 Bs 4 s 3 t 3 w 2 I 4 A 3 Ld 8 that way he is a human, but better then the average human. Those stats are those of what you would see on a Champion/character with a bit extra added on. Thats my idea, since he does get some special rules, it balances him out and explains his cost.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 03:14:52 PM
Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

Lieutenant Bennis stood up from the fire and walked across the camp to the tent he shared with three other officers. Bennis was not a nobleman so could not afford his own valet, so had to share a servant with some of his fellow poorer officers, their accommodation was little better than the men also, a cheap canvas tent which leaked in heavy rain, water dripping on the sleeping men within. The middle-aged officer dumped himself on his cot, picking up a book by the famed Altdorfian writer von Schmitt which he had read several times already. He read the first few pages before tossing it onto his pillow.

The Army of Solland had been waiting in camp for almost a week now with no action and no release for tension. The men were getting restless with the boredom, the camp girls were already over worked and the surviving inhabitants of Mortensholm were in no state to provide entertainment for the troops. Another factor getting on the men's wits was the shortened food supply, some drunken ogres had gotten into several wagons the other night, pilfering a lot of the army's stores. No-one had, as of yet confronted them about it.

Bennis was so prepared to fight on that first day when the Black Company was arrayed before them. But the nobles had had a parley, and the enemy had retreated out of sight. The Sollanders had made camp and that was where they had remained since. Luden Macks, Bennis' Sergeant had organised the men to improve camp conditions, organised handgun drills and kept the men moving, but the lack of anything to do was getting to the army. Bennis was sure the same thing was happening in the enemy camp.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 03:21:39 PM
Awesome.

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld
4    3    4   3  3   2  4  3   8

That makes him slightly worse than a Mercenary Captain who is 50 points. With his equipment (Rep. Xbow Est. +15) (Brace of Pistols +14) that comes to 89 points. With the minus for the worse stats, I'd say he would cost 75 points.

This input is great FoW. Personally I would make him slightly better as he is more of a special character than a champion. Think of him as a skilled hunter, expert tracker, has had a lifetime to hone his skills with a bow etc, who has found his true calling as a hunter of men due to the horrificness of his home and family being killed by Leon.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 03:23:58 PM
((Well remember, that is a trained assassin who was born, bread, and trained for war, who I think in fluff/lore are also trained in the martial arts of Cathay...

Yeah I based him off an assassin, but obviously took loads of stats off of him.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 03:35:47 PM
((As a character vs a Champion, I'd make him M 4 WS 3 Bs 6 S 3 T 3 w 2 I 6 A 4 ld 8 and toss in a Ward save. But remember, as an Empire Char, I'm use to seeing characters with low stats so If anyone who has better experience with Characters of other armies, please toss your hat in. I say go with what you want since it is your char, I haven't really seen him do any battlefield combat, just assassinations so I can't fairly judge him on how he would be on the TT.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 01, 2009, 03:45:37 PM
Moslac, Eastern side of the River Trebleca

Frederick sighed as Donixote leaved, and went to follow him.  He had to try and talk this man out of the suicidal attack ahead.  Donixote was an honorable leader, and it was a crushing sight to see the proud Estalian finding a bottle to crawl into as his men prepared.  "We have a steam tank, Donixote.  There's no need to throw your life away on the crossing; we'll send it forward, blast the enemy embankments, and throw them into disarray.  My men can find some rafts and boats in the city, and we'll float across as your men charge.  Together, we can win this with honor.  You've done an incredible thing; we've captured an entire city in a single day's combat, surely you can convince your lord of the great works done here today?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 03:50:54 PM
((As a character vs a Champion, I'd make him M 4 WS 3 Bs 6 S 3 T 3 w 2 I 6 A 4 ld 8 and toss in a Ward save. But remember, as an Empire Char, I'm use to seeing characters with low stats so If anyone who has better experience with Characters of other armies, please toss your hat in. I say go with what you want since it is your char, I haven't really seen him do any battlefield combat, just assassinations so I can't fairly judge him on how he would be on the TT.))

Well yeah he's not suited to battlefield combat, more to assassinations. I think those stats would be good.


Alphonse the Nightman

M  WS  BS  S  T  W  I  A  Ld
4    3    6   3  3   2  6  4   8  

Cost: 125 Points

Equipment:
Hand Weapon, Repeater Crossbow, Brace of Pistols.

Special Rules:
Alphonse is Stubborn,
Hunter: The Nightman is a master huntsman and can work his way forward in battle unseen. Alphonse can be set up in the deployment phase in any piece of terrain outside the enemy deployment zone. He will remain hidden there, unable to be attacked until his player decides to unleash him.

That suits him quite well. He's a bit of a sniper, so can soften up small enemy units with his repeater before jumping in pistols blazing. Bit of a wild card because as soon as he jumps out, if he doesn't kill the enemy quickly, he dies in the next round.
Perhaps this will be like a Valten thing. Starts off with mediocre stats, but then gets better over the course of the campaign. He might recruit a special unit of duellists Ala Vespero's Vendetta, but not sucky.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 03:55:29 PM
   Donixote continued on walking as Fredrick trailed along. Donixote did not speak to Fredrick till his orders for his horse and whine were carried out. Having now been mounted and supplied with his first bottle, Donixote gave Fredrick a half-hearted smile. "Senor, I will fallow your lead... You can send your War Machine in first, send your boats acrost. But I will take the charge, my calvary will be next to your great machine, I will suffer the heavy losses... Consider it your lord's money put to good use. With Myrmidia's good graces, Ricardo may look at my charge as my last great act as a Generel and have mercy at my failures... If all goes well, I will see you after the battle. My men will charge without torch, I know it will be hard to see, but the enemy will be hard pressed to see us. That should help keep most of my men alive, but I know faith wont even shield my men against their weapons. . . If, by chance, the charge fails, well at least I won't have to see Ricardo till the bastard meets me in hell... I bid you good day senor."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 01, 2009, 04:04:49 PM
East side of the River Trebleca

Frederick cursed, and stormed over towards the first Estalian artillery piece he could see.  He grabbed a torch, pointed at the fortifications beyond the river, and thrust the torch at the gunner with a stern, grim look on his face.  He may not have been able to speak their language, but his orders were clear.  "Start shelling, NOW!".

It wasn't long before the shelling had begun in earnest, and the Emerald Wind was rumbling to the front of the lines, positioning itself on the side of the bridge opposite the men.  Frederick had the footsoldiers spend the rest of the day finding every boat, raft, skiff, and largish wooden object they could find, and stash them just out of sight of the enemy but as close as they could manage to the river.  He would order them across in one massive wave, and his knights would charge in behind Donixote's.  He had failed one of these bold men, he would not allow this one to march into his grave without putting up a fight.

Schwarzbaum

The day was busy indeed; Arathos and his guards, to say nothing of the prisoners, had moved with incredible haste east towards the city.  Their arrival was just before sunset, in time for dinner with Stefan.  As the enormous Vitec was led towards the dining hall, he was treated first to the smells of the food being prepared and carried in plates for them.  Next, the sound of metal covers removed and corks popping free from wine bottles as his pudgy hand opened the door to the dining room.  Lastly, he was treated to the sight of his brother Thomas standing across the room, still in his armor, with the general standing nearby.  "Ah, Herr Vitec.  You are right on time."  Arathos smiled as the fat man stood in the doorway, and he motioned toward the table with his hand.  "Shall we discuss over dinner?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 04:16:28 PM
West Side of the River Trebleca

The enemy shells had fallen once the pitch night had set in. The river was quite large however, the mortar pieces firing at the extremes of their range, though one or two lucky shots landed on the earthwork defences, blowing chunks from the trenches and ripping men apart in a savage hurricane of metal and dirt.

The Black Company guns remained silent, useless at this range, Tibius had six guns with him, four were trained on the black waters of the fast flowing river, two aiming at the bridge. Infact aiming at the wooden planks that formed the road, Tibius would have to time this right. Crossbowmen and foot soldiers were racing to the defences, readying their weapons, finding the ranges. Tibius knew that the enemy would have more sense than to attack directly over the bridge with all their forces, some would come by raft, but how many and when the Captain was not sure.

News had reached him earlier that day of what was happening in the west. Don Matthias had retreated south of Mortensholm, making ready to battle the northerners and ogres. Tibius worried after his son, Rudolph, if the boy were to killed, his mother would never forgive him.

"Ready the beacons!" The Captain ordered. Men gathered up the stacks of hay and dry grass that were used for tinder and lit them, rolling them down to the bridge and the water front, lighting up the small area so his men could get a better view of the enemy when they got closer.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 04:26:02 PM
   Donixote took his last sip of whine, he couldn't tell if he was drunk, but then again he couldn't feel his feat... Looking to the giant machine next to him, Donixote could not help but grin. The drums began to beat, the horns blared, and the trumpets sounded, the Estalians charged! The Steam tank growled into life and the cannon roared as it joined the charge. All was set into motion, the Estalians and the Dawnstriders began the attack.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 01, 2009, 05:11:49 PM
Just North of Mentreda, Border Princes IC 2524

"I am here on a mission of peace, I wish to speak to your lord, His Esteemed Highness Prince Alain and his noble court. My Lancers here are merely a bodyguard for myself, there is trouble in the north that warranted such company."

Mervin wasn't quite use to this sort of thing and could have decided to leave to just pass the message along.  Instead, although not particualrly enamoured with the Bretonnian occupation, he decided to probe further on their behalf so that perhaps his new lord would find his abilites very favorable, "Ah, and what sort of trouble are you refering to, in the light that the Black Company on the whole is known to have attacked the Bretonnian town of Charleroi, formerly called Moslac?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 05:18:11 PM
Just North of Mentreda, Border Princes IC 2524

Luitpold was surprised when the messenger enquired further. He decided to go along with the messenger, perhaps if he said the right things Prince Alain would receive him quicker.

"Moslac, now of course named Charlerloi was never attacked by his Highness' armies. The absent Duke left the town defenceless without his knights and the learned town elders turned to the King to defend them against vicious invaders from the north and east."

Western side of the River Trebleca

The fires of the boiler could clearly be seen through the cracks in the hatch of the lumbering steam tank. It was moving slowly over the bridge, the engineer obviously cautious of the machine's weight on the wooden slats. Tibius stood on the earthwork, safe now from the bombardment which had stopped for the attack. two hundred crossbowmen stood with him, with another two hundred and fifty foot soldiers standing behind the lines ready to counter-attack.

"Battery Fiiiiire!" cried the Captain, to the two cannons aimed at the bridge.

Immediately the cannons opened up, the sound booming into the night. One of the cannon balls found it's mark on the bridge, impacting on the wooden slats, sending up a shower of splinters into the air. The other ball was less effective, bouncing off of the stone masonry that formed the bridge's walls. For some minutes the two cannons fired at the bridge, impacting on the bridge several times, damaging the wooden slats.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 01, 2009, 05:26:29 PM
Mervin spoke again, "Ok, I'll relay that information to Prince Herriot, but how do you mean there is trouble in the north?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 01, 2009, 05:34:06 PM
On the bridge spanning the River Trebleca

Brim watched through the front port, his hand resting on the wheel.  The sound of wood creaking beneath them made him a bit nervous.  "Full steam, we have to get across quickly before this bridge collapses!"  The two dwarves inside with him began their work, and the tank lurched forward as it picked up speed.  It was a desperate gamble, but they were going to try and smash into the enemy's lines before the artillery ruined their hopes at all.

Frederick watched from the safety of the other side of the river, standing beside a raft with some of his men.  His knights had dismounted, they were going to ford the river with the infantry.  He watched as the tank and the Estalians drew ever closer, then waved to a nearby mortar.  The mortar launched a shell into the air, one deliberately set to fire prematurely.  When the shell blew high in the sky, it was the signal, and the numerous rafts and launches slid into the water, men scrambling to paddle them swiftly but silently towards the other shore.  Frederick gripped his sword as his boat made its way across the river; until they landed, they were perilously helpless.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 05:41:21 PM
Mervin spoke again, "Ok, I'll relay that information to Prince Herriot, but how do you mean there is trouble in the north?"

"The Empire has invaded." Luitpold turned his horse back to his waiting man, his standard bearer following behind closely.

Western bank of the River Trebleca

The wily captain Tibius stood on top of the earthwork wall once more, waving his arm at his men to make ready. There was a large explosion above his head, he looked upwards to see a fireball in the sky, lighting up the area briefly for a few seconds. With the new found light, he glanced at the enemy on the opposite bank, they were making ready with boats, thousands of infantrymen. Tibius blinked. He had no idea the enemy had such a force at their disposal, from what he could see, they had a few score ramshackle boats with which to ford the river.

He turned to one of his lieutenants, "Order the cannon to open fire on the river, they're crossing in boats" he started to give another order when a gigantic cracking sound wrenched the air, the cannons had done their job, the wooden beams had splintered before the tank. If it carried on going, it's immense weight would cause it to fall through the weakened beams, plunging into the frothing river below.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 01, 2009, 07:37:56 PM
Bridge over the River Trebleca

"Fire the cannon...now!"  The barrel of the tank's central cannon roared as a single shot blew forth, the ball heading straight for the defenders' lines.  Brim and his dwarven companions scarcely had time to celebrate before the sound of wood rupturing was heard, and the tank lurched.  Their stomachs jumped into their throats and Brim raced to the ladder, throwing open the hatch.  A wave sloshed over the top of the hull, and he fell back into the body, coughing and sputtering.  "We've put a hole in the bridge!  We're in the river!"  The dwarfs' eyes widened; dwarves hate sailing even on seaworthy vessels, so they had heard all the needed.  Hogjaw grabbed the pony keg and Erberk grabbed their rifles and a brace of pistols as he scrambled to the ladder.
     "Damn it, ye daft human bugger!  I told ye this bridge was shoddy!" He disappeared out the hatch, and Hog was on his tail.
     "Abandon ship!  Women and beardlings first!  Move it, umgi, we've nae time fer swimming lessons!"  Brim hopped to his feet, determined not to lose his precious steam tank. He climbed onto the deck and slammed the hatch shut.  Hog and Erberk were busy shooting at defenders as the tank sank into the river, slowly but surely.  Between rounds they took sips of ale, Hogjaw bellowing out a sea shanty in his native tongue.  Brim figured if they were lucky, the river would be shallow enough here for them to stand on the deck and still breathe; maybe they could use some horses to haul it free tomorrow.  He unslung his rifle and took aim, his first bullet knocking one of defenders dead.  The unfortunate fellow collapsed forward and fell into the river.  Above them, the sounds of the Estalians riding around the hole could be heard along with their whooping war cries.  The men were crazed and ready for death in glorious battle.


Frederick could not believe his eyes as the tank collapsed into the river.  The bridge was badly damaged and now the tank was possibly ruined; Rheinhardt would have his head for this botched assault, if he lived to be reprimanded.  "Steady men" he stood a bit on his raft as he spoke, "we sent it to distract them, and distract them we did.  Let's paddle on the double quick!"  Oars sloshed loudly after his order, though the odd scream and crack of splintering wood could be heard as the cannons found their marks here and there.  It wouldn't be long now, though.  Soon they would be upon the Domzale soldiers.  A thunderclap roared in the sky above, and the first sprinkles of rain clinked off Frederick's armor.  He smiled; a rainy thunderstorm in the dead of night.  Truly, today was a good day to die.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 07:53:33 PM
   Donixote snarled as he saw the steam tank go down, but he could not afford to be struck dumb. Donixote quickly screamed orders and the Estalians pressed on, jumping over the gap or moveing around it. Nearly at once soldiers brought up planks of wood to lay acrost the gaps so the horses could cross. It slowed the charge, but it pressed on, the Estalians were in a blood craze, tonight they would have victory or death.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 08:06:38 PM
West bank of the River Trebleca

A cheer went up from the Domzale men when the monstrosity collapsed into the river. It must have landed on an outcrop of rock because it was still visible, figures crawling about on it's deck. Tibius leaped back in shock as his bugler was punched from his feet by some accurate rifle fire. Cries were coming from the bridge as the Estalian horse leaped over the hole and thundered over the bridge to the Black Company lines.

Tibius scrambled down from the earthworks to the ranks of crossbowmen waiting in the trenches. As the Captain raised his arm in signal, the first rank dropped to their knees, the second climbing out of the trench to fire over the first rank's heads. The Estalian horse was getting nearer now, a wall of horseflesh and yelling men. Surprisingly, Tibius saw that the lead horseman was drinking from a bottle while at the head of the charge. Estalians were either a race of barbarians with no honour, or a race of brave, roguish individuals at home in war.

Tibius nodded to the Crossbow sergeant.

The front rank loosed their bolts, forcing the front rank to fall from their horses, causing havoc as the rear ranks ploughed into their fallen comrades. The second rank of crossbows fired into the milling cavalry, felling more men and steeds. Tibius drew his sword, raising it above his head to the waiting heavy infantry behind him. The Captain lead the charge into the cavalry, swinging his sword in a wide arc at the enemy.

On the walls, Luds pulled out the ramming rod the the cannon, giving a thumbs up to the head artilleryman. The cannon boomed again, the ball ploughing through the rushing waters, sending up a massive spray from the turbulent waters. The enemy boats and rafts were halfway across from the other bank now, Luds could see that they were packed full of heavily armoured warriors. Waiting for his turn in the reloading sequence, he gazed across the flotilla of ramshackle rafts, a ball from another cannon smashed one of them to firewood, the armoured foot soldiers struggling in the water under their armour, another one capsized under the rushing waters, men tumbling to their deaths in the deadly waters.

Crossbowmen were firing bolts into the bridge now and the men packed upon it. Cannons added their own deadly payload to the crescendo of fire, the dead and wounded being trampled by their comrades in the mad rush to get off this bridge of death.

Tibius parried desperately with the leader of the enemy cavalry, he had dispensed with the bottle in the fall and now carried two sabres. He was much more skilled than the old Captain and it was all he could to fend off the man's crazed attacks. Tibius' heavy footsoldiers ringed around the combatants, one made to charge in, but the Captain waved him back. It was a stalemate at the bridge now, men dying in droves on both sides, their bodies tumbling into the river. The Black Company cannons roared again and again, their cannon balls tearing a furrow through the enemy.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 08:46:09 PM
   Donixote swung violently over and over, both of his sabres flashing in wild arcs. He was well trained in dueling, but he was intoxicated, his motions were slow but relentless. Over and over he swung, praying and hoping the man would yield or die, slowly he was starting to tire as both sabres began to feel heavy. Donixote nearly thought about giving up until he felt it, at first he brushed it aside but then he felt it slam down onto him, the rain had began to pound the ground as thunder cracked the noise of battle with its mighty roar. Doni felt good, he took the rain as a sign of Myrmidia and pressed the attack on with new vigor. The Estalians charged harder, nearly charging as hard as the rain was pounding, they gave no mercy to the fallen of either side. They trampled over their own men and slaughtered the enemies, the ground was bathed in bloodied water which soon tainted the river causing it to run red. The battle was locked, the dye was cast, the Estalains would give it their all chanting and screaming like wildmen, they held nothing back. One cry could be heard over the clash of battle and roar of cannons: "¡Para Diego!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 08:58:40 PM
The rain was coming down hard now. Tibius' sword arm was tiring and the Estalian seemed to go into a berserk frenzy, his sabres flashing in the rain and light from explosions. Tibius parried an overhead sweep but stopped dead, gazing at the Estalian's eyes, they were close now and Tibius could smell the wine on the man's breath. The Estalian snarled and wrenched his sword from the Captain's chest, letting the man's body fall to the muddy ground. Donixote raised his swords in victory, shouting at the top of his voice over the thunder of cannons and the natural thunder of the storm.

His look of victory turned to shock, though as a two crossbow bolts appeared in his chest. A figure was silhouetted in the lightning some thirty yards from Donixote, carrying a small crossbow which he was reloading. The Estalian only caught a glimpse of the man, yet somehow he knew in his bones, this was the killer of his friend. He closed his eyes, falling into the arms of his retreating men unconscious and wounded.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 01, 2009, 09:27:41 PM
   A Cry shouted as Alejandro ran over to Donixote, dropping his own sword in the process. Calling for aid, the Arab guards dashed over, helping their generel off the field, useing the cover of the troops to hide their retreat. Alejandro looked to his feat, seeing Doni's spare sword laying near its twin which is currently lodged in a man's chest, he picked it up and pressed the charge, trying to hide their generel has been badly wounded. The battle roared on without mercy or falter, the Estalian's felt their numbers thinning, but smiled as the Dawnstriders charged up the embankment, finally joining the fray.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 01, 2009, 09:55:35 PM
Alphonse the Nightman loosed his bow off at the enemy funnelling themselves up from the bridge. They had started to grind their way through the heavy infantry of Tibius. Cannons still thundered and were beginning to take their toll on the Dawnstriders and Estalians, hundreds were now dead, the river clogged with bodies. Some of the boats had reached the bank, but the men were now pinned down below the earthen embankment. Alphonse felt the enemy would not break through as easily as they did in Moslac, the odds were stacked against them, they could not use their superior numbers due to their closed ranks on the bridge. The enemy cavalry had been torn apart by crossbows and halberds, the Infantry in turn struck down by the enemy reinforcements.

The Nightman picked off two more enemy soldiers struggling in the mud. He was starting to run out of bolts now, though his death tally was going up. The night was so confusing, he didn't think any of the Karolingian men knew Tibius had fallen to the enemy General.

The river was flooding high now in the pouring rain, the storm must have come down from the mountains. The Dwarfs on the submerged steam tank were almost shoulder deep in water now, yet they were still grimly sniping away with their muskets, a Crossbowman falling to their every shot.

The Black Company cannon had been moved now, and filled with grapeshot, ready for the Dawnstrider reinforcements to breast the embankment. It would be bloody indeed.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 02, 2009, 12:10:03 AM
Just North of Mentreda, Border Princes IC 2524

"The Empire has invaded." Luitpold turned his horse back to his waiting man, his standard bearer following behind closely.
Mervin replied, "I'll inform the Prince and see what he wants to do."  He then turned his horse and galloped back from where he came.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 02, 2009, 04:38:36 AM
Western Banks of the River Trebleca

Frederick's eyes widened as he saw Donixote stumble backwards; the crazed Estalians may not have noticed the fate of their general, but he did.  His blood boiled in his veins, and he lept from the ship onto the shore, his sword and sheild drawn as a furious, rage filled scream emptied from his lungs as he raced up to hack down the assassin.  His men rushed after him, grapeshot ripping through the hapless ones that were in the front, but many of the cannons would not get a second shot.  Frederick felt the sting of lead in his body, somewhere, but he could not focus.  Everything was hazy, the enemies just blurry figures to be hacked down as he made his way to the bridge.  He screamed and roared as he struck down soldier after soldier, his men clambering up the mud with grim determination to overtake the embankments.  Dawnstrider infantry was landing, and the swordsmen and dismounted knights were rushing to hack down the gunners before they could reload and fire a second volley, the spearmen on the bridge currently holding their position (they had suffered some of the worst casualties during the siege, and were to be held in reserve until the battle desperately needed them).  Frederick cut down another soldier, and heard something whiz over his head, the tinny sound of metal clattering upon the ground just a few yards in front of him.  He heard Brim's voice shout over the thunder and the pouring rain: "Fire in the hole!"  Frederick blinked and hit the dirt, the explosion a few moments later ripping apart one of the cannons and opening a precious hole in their defenses.  The soldiers of the Black Company rushed to plug the gap, and Frederick lept to his feet, roaring at his soldiers.  "To me, lads!  Take no prisoners, only trophies!"

Brim ducked down behind the turret, and heard the blast.  He grinned to himself, and Erberk eyed him.  "What, by the fires of the forge, was that lad!?"
     "Pigeon bomb, I think they called them in Nuln."
     "Ye don't have pigeons!"
     "I know, they're unreliable creatures.  I thought it was more accurate to hurl it myself, even if the range is limited."  The dwarves nodded, and Hogjaw thumped a reloaded pistol into Brim's chest.
     "Ye'd make a fine engineer, lad.  I mean, once ye got a few centuries under yer belt like a proper dwarf."  Hogjaw smirked.  They returned to their shooting, intent on holding to the last on the steely ship.

Frederick pressed as hard as he could, but it was slow going indeed.  Suddenly, over the pouring rain and rage of battle he heard screaming, insane gibbering screaming.  He looked over his shoulder and saw Averrob standing on the bridge past the spearmen, gesticulating between gulps of whiskey, his wretched little goblin pet hopping up and down excitedly as fire wreathed around the mage's hand. He thrust his fist at the enemy, and a ball of glowing orange rolled off his fingers, coalescing into a laughing, bearded head that flew at an angle across the bridge, veering to the left and smashing into another earthen embankment and the men defending it.  Averrob took another drink, and began waving his arms again.  Maybe the drunken loon was worth the pain of living with him after all.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 02, 2009, 12:26:46 PM
Alphonse raced down to where the four remaining cannon had been placed down in the camp. The Dawnstriders were right behind him, though encumbered with their heavy armour, the nimble assassin could move faster in the mud than Frederick and his Knights. He turned quickly, firing off a couple of bolts into the charging foot knights, punching one man from his feet with a bolt through his helm.

The remaining Black Company men had retreated back into the camp now, almost half had been killed in the fierce fighting, but the enemy had lost almost three times as much, entire regiments had been decimated by cannons fire as they stood upon the bridge. The stonework on the bridge was awash with blood, the river beneath choked with bodies.

Two of the cannons had been taken by the enemy, their crews butchered as they tried to surrender, the other gunners, following the dead captain Tibius' orders had brought their cannons down here and loaded them with chain shot. A deadly contraption of two cannon balls with a heavy chain attached to each was loaded into the cannons. The crossbowmen reloaded and waited for the mass of enemy infantry to crest the rise and run through the mud toward them.

Frederick and his personal Knights reached the top of the ramparts and saw the assembled crossbowmen and cannon and with an almighty cry they charged down into the mud filled camp, a glorious charge of brave men into the shadow of death. Two of the cannons boomed, launching their deadly payload at the enemy. The chain shot made a whistling sound as it flew through the rain, spinning at an almighty velocity. The first man to be hit was a foot Knight, decapitated, his body launched into the men behind him who were similarly killed. The other two cannons boomed also, their chain shot ripping massive swathes through the cream of the Dawnstrider army, their armour and shields no match to the heavy chains and cannon balls. The crossbowmen added a volley to the salvo, punching more men from their feet.

The enemy charge was in confusion no, the less experienced enemy soldiers near the rear shouting for retreat, many of the swordsmen and halberdiers did so, fleeing back towards the river and the safety of their own camp. It was only their Captain that was holding the majority of the enemy troops in line, and the Nightman was drawing a bead on him, his crossbow raised and aiming at the Knight's heart.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 02, 2009, 03:08:57 PM
   Donixote rolled over on the ruins strewn about, the barber-surgeon snarled as Donixote moved but did not give major protest, Doni was busy speaking to his officers and the surgeon knew not to interupt. Donixote, who grinned a red smile as blood lightly coated his teeth, spoke his words slowly and carefully: "Bring the mortars and cannons up to the bridge, bring them as close as you can, and volley shots straight into their camp. . . I will not see this day lost! Send in all of the Arabs, even the young ones, Order the Engineers to start constructing crude catapults, there is plenty of cut wood in this town so do not waste time cutting more, salvage what you can from these ruins. One last order, send my personnel guard after the man who shot me... Kill him and bring me his head... Do it and remember, for Diego!"

   The officers nodded and shouted the same battle cry. The assembled officers went to work, moving weapons and setting people to work, all were happy knowing the battle may tip in their favor, except one. Alesumaden the Arab officer, he knew he would be wasting many lives on charging the enemy camp, he saw how the Estalians suffered. He did not like the type of fight he was going to be charging into, but he knew his troops were needed, with a nod he gave the order for all of the Arabs to move out and charge, deserting the camp and ruins. The Arabs clanged their swords against their shields and chanted an Arab war cry over and over in hopes of raising moral and intimidating the enemy, all knew it would be bloody work. As the cannons and mortars roared to life, shelling the Enemy, at times the Estalians too, the Arabs moved forward with their archers, their small bows ready to exchange arrows rapidly in a volleys. The first volley went loose, then the second and third, then the army charged screaming crys no man not native to Araby could ever understand. It truly was a bloody day.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 02, 2009, 06:10:53 PM
Frederick watched as the knights poured on towards the guns, but some of the swords and spears were in flight back to the bridge, fleeing to the safety of the riverbanks and away from the fierce fighting.  The Arabyan charge raised his spirits, and Frederick stood atop a mound of earth and ruined cannon, turning to his men.  "Dawnstriders!  Now is the time to show these barbarians your true courage!  To me!  Who will charge with me!?"  With that he lept down and charged, sword raised high as he ran screaming towards the lines of the Black Company.  His men roared behind him, charging headlong into the bloody slaughter that waited for them.  Many would die, but the glory of taking the camp and winning the day through the pouring rain and the thunderous lightning inspired them.  Frederick saw a flash of lightning illuminate the sky almost as bright as daylight, and in the distance he saw the lone huntsmen, Alphonse, leveling his crossbow.  Determination was in Frederick's eyes; he would not let this butcher defeat him a third time.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 02, 2009, 06:22:06 PM
The Karolingian camp, Near Moslac, IC 2524

The Nightman stared down his crossbow. Time seemed to stand still and his breath sounded like thunder in his ears. The charging enemy officer was rallying his troops, if he managed to rally his men, the day was lost. If Alphonse could strike him down, the enemy would surely break and retreat to their own camp.
His finger tightened on the trigger.
As he released his breath to fire, thunder struck in the stormy heavens.

This sudden loud noise made Alphonse lose his concentration in the last mili-second. The crossbow bolt flew at the enemy officer, but only struck his in the shoulder, knocking him down to the floor. The officer was lost in the sea of mud and Alphonse did not stick around to watch him, loping back to the safety of the camp. Horns could be heard blaring behind him, the enemy were retreating. The retreating Dawnstriders clashed with the charging Arabyans, causing confusion among the charge. Arabyan and Dawnstrider could be seen crashing into each other in a bid to get back from the camp. Panic rippled among the enemy ranks and the retreat turned into a rout with men running across the bridge in droves, some even falling into the river.

As dawn broke, there was a brief respite from the fighting. With the enemy retreating back to the other side of the river, the Black Company could rest and re-arm. They had lost some three hundred men, over half the army, including Captain Tibius. The young Lieutenant Yarg Lazek had taken control of the few hundred remaining troops. Alphonse looked across the river bank. The enemy had lost close to a thousand men in that suicidal attack during the night, including hundreds and hundreds of the Estalians, their broken bodies littered the bridge and the ramparts, more bodies had washed away down the river now, on their way to Brasov, a surprise for the resident Bretonnians indeed!

All of the surviving Black Company were exhausted, yet exhilarated due to the fact they had staved off such a massive attack. The men around the Nightman were sitting around in the drying mud, covered in the stuff from head to foot. The three remaining cannons had been placed around the bridge again, one of them had suffered from a vicious misfire, cracking the barrel. The devastation of the night was great indeed, the picturesque town of Moslac had been shattered in the two great battles, thousands dead and the landscape shattered by bombardments and death. Alphonse was shocked at the consequences of his actions, yet he was still steely determined. The men had seen him in action during the night, coolly picking off officers and sergeants with his crossbow. He had not only kept his celebrity status, but was called a hero by the Karolingians.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 03, 2009, 03:24:48 AM
   Donixote, now covered in furs, watched as the battle went poorly. He sighed seeing the Arab dogs falter, knowing i truly was a fools charge. Donixote sat up and turned to Alphonse, giving a depressing look.
   "Alphonse, my friend, it seems the day is not ours... Send a messanger across, tell them let us sort out our dead and we will not herass them when they collect their dead... If they refuse, bombard them again... Ricardo will be here in two days or so, may Myrmidia have mercy on their souls but may she have more on ours for we will need it..."


-                     -                           -                      -                      -                        -                -

   Two days march from Moslac.

   A large army marched down the road and across the fields, it was not large compared to something the Empire could field, but for an Estalian lord it was a grand army. Arabs, Estalians, and a dash of Dwarves marched behind Ricardo and his escort of fully armored heavy Knights, it was an impressive sight for the locals. Many peasants joined the large baggage train, adding more to the countless camp followers that trailed behind the army, acting like vultures and feeding off of what the army left behind. Ricardo loved the attention to his army, he even went so far as to even send a few pigs or cows as gifts to the camp followers just to win them over, it all played into his hands as his army gained fresh bodies. Ricardo could not help but think this may be an ugly land, but a great land to profit from. Ricardo's smile was large, though he could not even remotely imagine the frown on Donixote's.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 03, 2009, 04:33:51 AM
North of Mentreda, Border Princes, 2524 IC

Mervin had once again aligned his horse to one side of Prince Alain Herriot's, while Sir Jacques Monfourche was already back from giving orders to the Prince's various units and had set his horse on the other side.  All three faced out over the slope of the hill.

"Hmmm ... so Luitpold wishes to speak with me regarding the Empire invading these lands, eh?"

"Yes, your highness."

"Well Mervin, it seems you've done very well for a Mentreda soldier."

The Prince then gestured slightly to Sir Monfourche and said, "What do you think, Jacques?  Let's us three ride out and see what kind of conversation comes of this?"

"I don't like the explanation provided for the situation in Charleroi.  Du Montfort leaving on his on accord or not, doesn't provide a good enough reason as to why the Don's soldier's have decided to take over Bretonnian territory, and the Moslac elders asking for protection from the likes of the Black Company seems strange.  At the same time, why in the world would the Empire be invading here under the internal strife and condition's we've heard exist now in their homeland after the war against Archaon dealt them such harsh blow to their northern lands only a short time ago.  However, I'm not sure I see a more honorable alternative at the moment, my lord."

"Ok, then we will take our horses to the middle of the field below, and I will send Mervin here to invite Luitpold and his standard bearer for a chat, and see what transpires from such.  Let's go."

The Prince nudged his horse into a slow walk down the hill and through his lines of men.  The other two followed close behind.

- - - - -

Hubert had watched as his man Mervin, after speaking with what seemed to be the leader of the Black Company Lancers, rode back to Prince Alain's spot at the crest of the low rise to the south.  Then Prince Alain, accompanied by both Sir Montfourche and Mervin, had descended to a position about half way across the field, Sunderly's Field to be exact, where only Mervin had continued on from there, heading back again towards the Black Company Lancers.  Hubert still wasn't thrilled, but at least he and his own horsebowmen were in a good position to respond should things not go well from where they were currently.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 03, 2009, 05:28:09 AM
Two Day's March from Moslac

Rheinhardt peered over the horizon, watching the men approaching his camp.  "There's a lot of them, must be those foppish Estalians the General mentioned in his letter."  His aide nodded, and he sighed, walking towards his horse.  "Well, find a parley flag.  If that's them, we'll meet and escort them to Moslac; we'll figure out who's headed for Domzale and who will stay and besiege Vidovdan once we're there."  Rheinhardt and a few of his guards rode to meet the approaching army, and formally welcome them to the Borders.

The East Bank of the River Trebleca

Frederick sighed, limping to Donixote's tent.  His hip had taken a few hunks of shrapnel, and his shoulder throbbed after the surgeons had removed the bolt.  He was certain he'd lose his command over this; the bridge was badly damaged, the Emerald Wind stuck in the river, and his men had suffered horrible casualties.  The lion's share of the morning had been spent gathering the wounded and the dead from the other side of the river, grisly work all around.  He watched as the healthy ones helped rebuild the town; it was devastated, but they had fortified the bridge on their side and the Estalian artillery watched the enemy, so they had little else to do.  He saw Brim staring into the river as he neared the bridge, just watching.  He stopped and looked at him for a moment, offering a weak salute.  "Sir?"
     "It's...going to be alright."  Brimcon sighed, and shifted a bit.  "It's not going to rust away in a night, we can haul it out before we leave.  I'll have to air it out, practically take it apart and put it back together, but we can do it."  Frederick sighed, the words cutting him.  This tank was the Marshal's prized possession, his greatest work, and he had recklessly sent it into the river in his ill-planned attack.  He sighed, nodding before walking on to see Donixote.  The arab guards allowed him inside, and he limped in, offering the Estalian a salute.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 03, 2009, 01:22:00 PM
Sunderly's Field, North of Mentreda, IC 2524

Luitpold was sweating heavily under his armour. Though he had lived in the Borders for nigh on five years now, he had never become accustomed to the climate. He saw the Bretonnian nobleman riding down towards his company of lancers, he would have to delve deep into his memory for certain rituals the Bretonnians adhered to, they could take offence of anything.

West Bank of the River Trebleca

Lieutenant Lazek had agreed to the truce to clear away the dead and wounded and the Black Company men had looked on at the Dawnstriders and Estalians going about their sad business. Once the last of the enemy started crossing back over the bridge, a heavy-set soldier, one Sergeant Clutz stood upon the earthworks, shouting out insults at the enemy, this then spread into a bawdy song about the enemy which lasted throughout the night, the sound washing over to the enemy camp.

Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes, IC 2524

Thomas and Stefan Vitec sat silently next to each other. They were the youngest and middle brothers of the Vitec family respectively, but had never gotten along well. Matthias was the bond that brought the family togetehr and now that he was not here, an uncomfortable silence settled around the two men. It was Thomas that spoke up first: "Don Arathos, as your prisoners and hostages, I can assure you that any escape attempts will not be made while under your care" Thomas scowled at his brother. "However, now we are here, perhaps we can come to some sort of arrangement, You have taken the town of Moslac, now, perhaps your honour has been satisfied?"


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 03, 2009, 02:22:12 PM
    Donixote nodded to Fredrick as he entered the tent, but said nothing. He was busying wasting away with drink and tending to his wounds, haveing no care who passed in his tent today. Alejandro was a different case, he was busy trying to throw the scraps of the army together and get a battle plan at the ready. Alejandro gave a bow to Fredrick and showed him to a seat, waiting to see what he had to say.
 


   --------------------------

Ricardo's Army

   Ricardo looked at the men approaching him, he did not know who they were nore anything about them. At once he ordered his handgunners and crossbowmen to take aim, he held the order to fire only because they seemed to be none-aggressive. His heavy guards moved forward, putting a wall of meat and armor between the men and their lord, waiting for the command to let them through or run them through.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 03, 2009, 02:39:58 PM
West Bank of the River Trebleca

Frederick sighed, nodding to them.  "I am here to offer my apologies for last night's devastation.  It was my idea to force the attack that day, and my idea to attack swiftly.  I am responsible for what happened there, and I intend to take responsibility for this when our respective leaders arrive here.  I know they are upset; I intend to resign my post as an officer and return to the infantry when they arrive."

Two Day's march to Moslac

Rheinhardt and his few men stopped just short of the Estalian lines, having trotted amicably over to them.  His standard bearer called out to them in reikspiel: "Marshal Rheinhardt Dormaier, Grandmaster of the Border Sentinels and envoy of the Dawnbringer, General of the Dawnstrider Legion, seeks audience with the leader of this Estalian army!"

Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

"My honor was never the case; I was under the impression you had decided to invade.  It is embarassing that we should come to blows over such chaos, but that leads me to my new concerns: the future.  This is about more than honor, gentlemen.  Your brother is a notoriously hot headed fellow, what will happen once you two are safely back in, Karoly was it?  Once you return to Karoly, what incentive does he have not to being a full scale invasion?  I have no desire to begin an invasion of your lands and would be happy to declare a cease fire immediately, provided there is some way of assuring that I won't be facing a renewed war to satisfy his honor."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 03, 2009, 03:42:51 PM
Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes IC 2524

"Well if you agree you are in the wrong, Don Arathos, then you should disband your mercenaries, retreat your forces back to your own lands and compensate the good people of Moslac a sum of money to rebuild their homes." Thomas replied. Stefan just sat there, slightly grey-faced due to his wounds. "And yes, my brother, King Matthias was crowned a couple of weeks ago. The ancient name of the Kingdom of Karoly has been brought back with Domzale being the capital city."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 03, 2009, 04:52:50 PM
Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes IC 2524

"I most certainly do not agree that I am in the wrong!  Your men assumed that a wandering murderer was telling the truth about my hiring mercenaries, and you began raiding my villages!  I will rebuild Moslac, but I am not withdrawing my men, nor paying restitution to Karoly.  Now, let me make this perfectly clear to you: I have another two cavalry units, another two infantry, my greatswords here, pistoliers, and a full artillery train en route to Moslac, and it seems your brother has managed to offend the entirety of Solland, because they've marched a damned army down here to fight him at Mortensholm.  This situation is escalating from bad to impossible for your fledgling kingdom, and if we want to see any sort of mutually beneficial resolution we had better get to it, because it won't be long before total subjugation is the only option remaining."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 03, 2009, 06:36:40 PM
Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes IC 2524

"Need I remind you your mercenaries made the first aggressive move, I was merely reacting to their threat. Your forces waged undeclared war upon the Kingdom! If your allies from Solland did not interfere in the King's plans, the entirety of the Black Company would have struck a hammer blow upon your confederation. I have no doubt Matthias will crush the rebel Imperials, then his gaze will spread eastwards." Thomas smiled at the General.
"And I, for one, can't wait to see you and your men humbled by Matthias!" spoke up Stefan.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 03, 2009, 09:59:53 PM
Donixote nodded to Fredrick, giving only a smirk. "Your a damn fool... The attack was my idea to charge head on... Don't fight me on this, Ricardo will replace me no matter what... My time in these lands in finished, I get to go home, I'm wounded and useless to Ricardo... I barely have enough troops to call a force... My defeat is a victory, I get to leave this shit hole... No offense... So tell your Lord, it was my Idea...I will tell Ricardo the same."

    ---------

Ricardo nodded to his translator who intern screamed aloud for the messanger to hear. "COME! Bring your message!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 04, 2009, 01:59:49 AM
Two Day's march to Moslac

Rheinhardt rode closer to Ricardo, and nodded to him, removing his plate helm.  "Greetings, Lord Ricardo of the World-Renowned Military Nation of Estalia!  I am the Grandmaster of these Knights, and on behalf of the General, Arathos the Dawnbringer, I bid you welcome to the Border Princes!  I am certain you wish to make haste to the rest of your men, and the esteemed Donixote your envoy.  We are headed in the same direction, and are happy to provide you escort to Moslac."


Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

"They were not my mercenaries at the time you attacked!  They were wandering mercenaries with no patron; you simply invaded because you believed the first wandering idiot who came to you.  If your brother is as quick to judge and as foolish in his judgement as the two of you, I can count on swift victory indeed.  Now, allow me to make something very clear to both of you: It is by my good graces you two are treated as guests.  If you insist on pretending that you were unjustly assaulted, rather than accept the reality that your folly and rush to judgment rather than seeking to understand the situation is the reason we are at war, then so be it.  You can both rot in the dungeons in irons for all I care, and I'll show your brother what a veteran of foes beyond your petty brigandry can achieve when roused to anger!  If you want to settle this like men, and own up to your own mistakes, we can settle this without further bloodshed or hostility, and you will both be in Domzale before week's end, with chests of goods to begin a proper trade arrangement and a signed pact of non-aggression.  Hell, I'll throw in a promise to aid if you decide to fight the Bretonnians, so you'll have more muscle to expand your kingdom west and south if you like.  So, how is this going to end?  Are we going to be spiteful and follow this until its final stupidity?  Or can we be reasonable and settle this like men of brilliance, who know when to seize an opportunity with both hands?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 04, 2009, 03:15:39 AM
(Ugh.  So irritated.  Just wrote a piece regarding the Bretonnian actions from Princess du Beaucamp's perspective, cut it from where I had written it, exited from there, and then I couldn't paste it.  Total bummer.  Not sure when or how I'll recreate that now.  Really very irritating. :eusa_wall:)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 04, 2009, 04:48:35 AM
   Ricardo nodded as soon as the translator ripped the message off, he acted as if he was flattered and spoke in Estalian to his messenger. "Ah, so the bastards kiss ass, hm? Very well, better to be kissed and flaunted then ignored and forgotten. Tell him that my men will follow me where ever he wishes to take me... I would like to meet this Arathos that Donixote wrote of... I would like to see who my men will kill for..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 04, 2009, 12:20:04 PM
Schwarzbaum, IC 2524

"Those Mercenaries were already several miles within our territory, and with soldiers carrying the Dawnstrider standard. They had left several devastated villages in their wake, I acted in self defence! If we are to own up to these 'mistakes' you talk of, you have to own up to yours. Your army attacked Moslac with no declaration, you sent a parley yet did not wait for an answer. I stand by what I said before - You will withdraw all your troops from the Duchy of Moslac, compensate the town for the devastation your army unlawfully wrought upon it and disband your mercenaries." Thomas replied. "Then perhaps, if you release us from your prison, we can make arrangements with our Brother about his army not burning your confederation to the ground."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 04, 2009, 07:24:57 PM
(http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/Inarticulate/Somzalefullextent.jpg)

I'm not exactly a pro at paint but it gives you an idea if you zoom in. Colours are maybe a little light but meh.

Burgundy: Voivodeship of Domzale
Slightly dark purple: Protectorate of Moslac
Light purple: Barony of Vidovdan
Red: Freehold of Mortensholm

Join up all the circles and you have the outline of the Kingdom of Karoly at the height of it's power. Now of course, I've lost half of both Moslac (including the town) and Vidovdan (still holding this town), and I've decimated and abandoned Mortensholm, retreating south across the river onto the area of plains near the original borders of Domzale.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 04, 2009, 07:58:43 PM
Thank you very much for that map. In my addled brain I had Domzale in the wrong place altogther. Now I have a much clearer picture of what is going on (and one of the reasons I had slowed down my posts was not knowing where certain places where - my Border Princes map, from Strike to Stun, has several placenames missing.


I'm gonna liaise with Uryens ASAP re: when he and I can do a battle between the Sollanders and the Black Company. I have noticed that you cleverly had the Don back off in an organised retreat to buy Uryens and I some time to sort a date out. Thank you.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 04, 2009, 08:08:59 PM
Excellent Map!  Good to see this put on the thread.  I had been using another map I found on the madalfred site, and although it has all the places spotted out, it didn't have the main roads.

Interestingly, the story piece I had written yesterday, that I some how lost as I was trying to paste it into this thread, regarding the perspective of Princess Sophia du Beaucamp and the things that are developing with the Bretonnians was using some of the geographical links between the Bretonnian towns that seem to match with what the roads are on this map.  I'm going to try to duplicate the piece asap because it fits in with whats happening on the thread as a whole.

Thanks again for the map, and I'm wondering where this was found?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 04, 2009, 10:21:40 PM

I'm gonna liaise with Uryens ASAP re: when he and I can do a battle between the Sollanders and the Black Company. I have noticed that you cleverly had the Don back off in an organised retreat to buy Uryens and I some time to sort a date out. Thank you.


No problem, I'm very much looking forward to that report indeed!

Interestingly, the story piece I had written yesterday, that I some how lost as I was trying to paste it into this thread, regarding the perspective of Princess Sophia du Beaucamp and the things that are developing with the Bretonnians was using some of the geographical links between the Bretonnian towns that seem to match with what the roads are on this map.  I'm going to try to duplicate the piece asap because it fits in with whats happening on the thread as a whole.

Thanks again for the map, and I'm wondering where this was found?

Great, Bretonnia needs to get into the thick of things!

Found it on google images, any generic 'Border princes Map' search.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 05, 2009, 01:53:32 AM
(After spending some time on the piece I lost this weekend, the following is only the front portion, for lack of time, but more will follow asap.)

Beauport (formerly Matorea),  Border Princes, 2524 I.C.

Princess Sophia du Beaucamp was once again sitting in her large wooden chair, but this time Sir Augustin was standing and facing her from the floor in front of the small, two leveled dias.  Marceau was at his usual post near the oak door that separated the antechamber from the Great Hall on the other side.

“My lady, I have arrived to report on the status of our troop movements and positions.”

“Sir Augustin, it is once again good to see you, and please do proceed.”

“Captain Ferdinand Weisefechter has arrived in Sainte Therese with his forces to significantly bolster Princes Nadia du Pont’s knights, men-at arms, and bowmen.  He has also negotiated with the local Brasovian horse raiders to provide a scouting force that has been reporting significant conflict occurring in the Charleroi area, between the Black Company forces from Domzale and the Dawnstriders of Schwarzbaum.  Additionally he has already set about strengthening the old Brasovian defenses, has requested additional resources to continue the work, and would like to know if we can send Captain Mardonia’s flotilla of river gunboats for additional support of the position.”

Sir Augustin took a breath and Princess Sophia spoke on the pause, “Would you recommend we grant his requests?”

“Yes, my lady.  It is fortunate of us to have him on our side, and providing what he is asking, could be quite beneficial in being able maintain the position until we can move on Charleroi.”

Princess Sophia looked past Sir Augustin and towards her chamberlain, “Marceau, would you please see to it that my orders discussed here with Sir Augustin are given to those that will provide Captain Weisefechter with what he requests?”

Marceau nodded and replied, “Yes your highness.”

“Sir Augustin, and what of the rest?”

(To be continued ... )
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 05, 2009, 11:13:47 AM
The Trade Road, South of Mortensholm

It was another empty wagon. The third they’d found today. This one still had a horse, almost dead, harnessed to it, but apart from the meagre fleshmeat they might skin from the animal’s bones, there was nothing else here for the taking.

Thaddeus looked to see if his lads were angered by the lack of loot, but saw that they merely looked bemused. It had been a strange road to travel down, with long lines of men’s heads left to rot on pikes – a steady supply of crunchy, gamy treats, like a line of aperitifs. Thaddeus’ and his Bulls had all been put in mind of an old Ogrish story about a foolish, drink-addled young bull who followed just such a line of nibbles right into the mouth of a dragon. This thought, as well as the proximity of the forest, had slowed their advance considerably. If asked they would have said they were moving cautiously in case of a trap, but in the recesses of their minds they were looking for the tell-tale teeth of a dragon’s maw.

“There’s nothin’ here for us, boys” shouted Thaddeus. “We’ll go a bit further south and see what there is to see, then we’ll go back and join the boss.”

It was obvious the foe had not wanted to stop and tend to this beast, and so had merely left it and its burden here. Perhaps this was one of the wagons that had carried the heads?

“Hey, Thad,” came a shout from the lead Bull, a scarred old veteran called Jublig ScabPicker. “You think we’ll find the bodies that go with these heads? There’d be good eating then.”

“I don’t reckon we will. I’m thinking they were burned at Mortees-holm. The place reeked of burned flesh.”

Suddenly a single gnoblar burst from the trees on the eastern side of the road.

“They’s back there. They’s back there,” he began to shout, stumbling forwards while pointing backwards.

Thaddeus grabbed the little creature as he ran close, and lifted him right off the ground to get his undivided attention.

“Who? Where?” the Bruiser asked, trying to make it as simple as possible.

“Men, black metal, and these!”

The gnoblar held out a quarrel, bloodied from the tip almost down to the flights.

“They got Stinker with this, right through his middle, but I pulled it out and Stinker spat blood and Grumbug laughed and then stopped ‘cos they stuck one in ‘im too…”

Thaddeus slapped his hand over the gnoblar’s babbling mouth. He spoke more quietly,

“Get yerselves ready boys, there’s crossbowmen out there in them trees. Probably scouts, or a rearguard. I don’t think they’re after loot ‘cos they’s got all that already. Jublig, you take two lads and go tell Agrabog we might ‘ave found some of the Black Company. The rest of you, let’s go sneaking into them trees and see if we can’t smash some skulls. I’d like to have some fresh meat before the real fighting begins.”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 05, 2009, 11:50:07 AM
North of Mentreda and the village of Haverty, Sunderly's Field, Border Princes, 2524 IC

Mervin had reached the edge of Sunderly's Field as he approached the column of Black Company Lancers for the second time.  He slowed his approach, and this time he noticed the sun was shining in just the right way for the spring green hues of the olive tree orchard to be quite brilliant in color.  And then he covered the rest of the distance to the front of the column of lancers.

- - - - -

Sir Jacques Montfourche had suddenly caught a slight glint off to the left in the trees and underbrush that blocked a view of the Tana Dante.  His head turned slightly to focus in on whatever had caused that, and then Prince Alain Herriot spoke, "Sir Montfourche, what are you looking at over there?"

"Your highness, I thought I caught a quick shine coming off something over there in those woods on the left."

Prince Alain's head turned in that direction and he gazed for a moment, "Hmmm ... I don't see anything."

"Yes, your highness, neither do I at the moment."

"Well, we can't hardly leave our position to investigate, but you keep your eyes on that and I'll watch to see if Luitpold moves out to speak, as he seemed to indicated that he wanted to do."

"I will, your highness, I will."

- - - - -

Lars stiffened his body and whispered , "Aldo, don't move a muscle, but what are they both looking in this direction for?"

Aldo whispered back, "I don't know Lars, but I haven't moved."

Theo whispered next, “Me neither boss. Should I go back and bring up Serge, Rainier, and Didier with the horses?”

Continuing to keep his voice low, although the two knights were more than several pistol lengths away, and even a Hochland long rifle would have had difficulty at this range, Lars spoke again, "Theo, I know everyone is looking forward to some action, but under the circumstances I'd say we are more than just a bit outnumbered. So no.  They can continue to hold our horses while we stay absolutely still right here where we are."

Aldo agreed, “Yes, and let's none of us move even an inch, because the closest one is still looking our way, and the last thing we need is to draw more attention to ourselves with that Bretonnian force on the right, those lancers on the left, and those horsebowmen up through the olive trees on the slope of that hill."

Lars spoke again, “Exactly, we need to stay put, and watch what happens, keeping in mind that Baron de Crux sent us here to watch this road, not engage enemy forces.”

“Well I can’t see why those lancers would have come in this direction, why not back towards Domzale itself?” asked Theo.

“Good question Theo, but that’s why we need to hang low, and see what happens next,” replied Lars, “Just don’t move until I say otherwise.”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 06, 2009, 01:34:51 PM
Sunderly's Field, Border Princes IC 2524

Luitpold walked over to his horse, donning his helm as he went. His Standard Bearer, Bartalan, joined him, leading his own horse and carrying the banner over his shoulder. The rest of the Lancers dismounted to save the horses, and broke camp, though still remained armoured and with their weapons close.

The Bretonnian Nobles were slowly walking their horses toward the middle of the field. Luitpold had served in the Reiksguard for over ten years, and had been stationed at Helmsgardt for a fair few of those years, having to meet many a noble and had become somewhat of an authority in the matter. The noble walking his horse toward him had an elaborate set of heraldry, signifying him as a Duke, or as the new Bretonnian masters in the Borders had liked to call themselves royalty.

The four men met at the centre of the dusty field. Luitpold, his hand raised in greeting, his voice muffled by his gleaming black sallet-style helm, spoke first. "Your Highness, I am Luitpold von Jorgen, Captain of the Lancers under his Majesty Matthias I of Karoly. His Highness himself has sent me on a mission of peace to your realm in the hope your Noble sir would see fit for us to discuss military and political issues that will join our two most noble and great houses in a unity of the greatest importance."

Just north of the Upper Tona Dante river, Border Princes, IC 2524

Lieutenant Gergo Hunyed watched from the sanctuary of the trees at the approaching ogres. They were not like the ogres employed by the Don, more feral looking with ramshackle armour and enormous guts not common to the ogres native this far west. His Sergeant, Fredek crawled up next to the officer, his crossbow on his back tied with a short length of thin rope.
"There doesn't seem to be too many of them. Perhaps we could take them?" The young officer asked.
"Nah, those bastards take some killing, we've only got twenty of the lads here. The little goblin creatures are easy enough, but they'd stay in line if them ogres told 'em to." the grizzled sergeant replied.
"So... what do we do? our orders are we watch out for the main enemy force, this is just the vanguard."
"I say we stay put, Sir, they'll come or they won't, we'll have to fight them if they come in the trees, though they'll probably just pass us by, we killed them goblin scouts."
"Right, Sergeant." replied the young officer, trembling slightly.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 06, 2009, 05:53:13 PM
Just north of the Upper Tona Dante river, Border Princes, IC 2524

Lieutenant Gergo Hunyed watched from the sanctuary of the trees at the approaching ogres...

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortensholmA.jpg)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 06, 2009, 06:25:34 PM
Sweet! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 06, 2009, 07:56:23 PM
South of Mortensholm, in the camp of the Army of Solland

“My Lord,” said Captain Joost, “I have someone here you must surely meet. He claims to be Graf Edric, of Mortensholm, and I am inclined to believe him.”

“The Graf is alive?” asked the Baron de Crux, his face showing more than a touch of incredulity.

“It seems he is, despite the fact that his army was apparently butchered and beheaded to a man."

“Then of course, I must see him.”

The captain turned towards the tent’s exit, but stopped when the Baron suddenly spoke again.

“Wait, Joost. Tell me first, how is he?”

The captain should have known that the baron would quickly realise there might be something odd about the Graf suddenly appearing.

“I never knew the man, of course, but I have to admit I doubt he is the man he was. I thought him a vagabond when we first encountered him, mad with fever or drink. If I had to guess, I would say he has been in the wilds since the battle.”

“I see, yes. Well then, Joost, have him given his own tent, and assign some servants to him. Give him food and clothes, and the chance to regain something of his wits. I will speak to him this evening – unless, of course, he insists.”

“Aye my Lord, it will be done.”

“Good,” said the Baron. “Now, before you go, what news from the riders and scouts?”

“The Black Company are still backing off, but as they know the land somewhat better, they have been able to maintain a posture of defiance and readiness as they do so. They move most quickly only when the land slows us down, and then as we think to catch them they are once again in a position to harry us. Our scouts have encountered their scouts upon several occasions, and even they fight hard. So far we have no prisoners – they refuse quarter. Nor do they give it.”

“The heads, what of them?”

Captain Joost put his hand to his forehead and rubbed, as if he was in pain. He answered,

“It has had an effect on our men, which is surely what they intended. There have been a few grumblings, some reluctance to march as fast as they might. And the sight of Agrabog’s brutes eating them even as flies buzz around them has not exactly reassured the men. The Black Company’s reputation is not undeserved.”

“Yet we have the upper hand in numbers,” said the baron. “It occurs to me that the enemy may well be playing a waiting game. Perhaps they expect reinforcements, a relief force or allies? I think we can ill afford to tarry any longer. We’ve done all we can for Mortensholm, and now we may well have found their Lord. We must go about the business of defeating the Black Company, and soon. I will order that the army array itself before dawn and we march to meet them. Now that the foe have moved from the forest we can meet them in battle. Besides, I know that Agrabog has been growing tetchy, and I don’t want to see what new trouble his annoyance might bring. If we strike now then we kill several birds with one stone.”

“But my Lord, we have not got the entire force with us, what with the rearguard in Mortensholm, and the flanking forces, and could not possibly muster all together in so little time. Even Agrabog has sent several companies of Ogres upon scavenging errands.”

“Yes,” said the baron, “and the enemy knows that, which makes them complacent. They think they can fall back slowly, confident that we are too dispersed to deliver a blow against them. They think we have delayed because we are afraid. But we are neither afraid nor too few, we have enough courage and sufficient force. We shall attack in the morrow at first light, Empire and Ogre, and they shall know our wrath.”

(PS: Battle arranged for this Saturday with Uryens being the Sollanders and Ogres, and I shall command the Black Company. Of course, as with any game, I intend to win!!)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 06, 2009, 08:50:09 PM
Hehe excellent Padre! (Awesomely painted xbowmen btw.), looking forward to the battle! The Noble and honourable Don Matthias shall surely defeat the flea-bitten mongrels from the north! ;D

The Grand Army of Solland's Camp, Mortensholm IC 2524

Sergeant Macks screamed orders at the men like every sergeant in history does, you scream and holler loud enough and the job gets done. The Fusiliers were scrambling all about the place packing away the tents and  gathering their equipment and possessions ready to move out. The sergeant marched over to Lieutenant Bennis, the Lieutenant was sitting down on a camp chair, reading a thick volume. Macks chuckled at the scene, the apparent confusion all around the officer, yet he was serenely reading a book, cross-legged and occasionally pushing his reading spectacles up his nose when they slip down. He usually did this, and had earned the title 'Scholar' from the men, a title half to make fun of the Officer, but also a sign of affection for their leader.

The Sergeant saluted crisply, his rifle cradled in his other arm. "Sir, the Company will be ready to move out at the sun's zenith."
Bennis clapped the book together and pulled off his spectacles before looking up at Macks. "Very well, we are behind Siegfried's horse in the line and before the Kreutzhofen Halberdiers. Have the quarter master dish out extra rum rations."
The Sergeant beamed at this. "Yessarr!" He then saluted again before storming off to shout at the men once more.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 07, 2009, 03:30:43 PM
Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

Arathos was extraordinarily displeased by this point; the Estalians had butchered his emissaries when Diego was killed, and pursued him to Moslac alone, if Frederick's story was accurate.  This nonsense about his men having hired them and such was just that, nonsense.  He was furious that they would, even as prisoners, insist on his fault in this matter.  He had never attacked Domzale!  His men were out to keep the peace, and this foe refused to turn over a murderer, then attacked his own towns, and dared lay the blame at his feet!?  He rose, clearly unhappy, as dinner was being served.  "I have no stomach for further discussions with either of you.  It is clear to me what I must do here, and I shall.  I will not allow my temper to get the better of me, so you both shall continue to stay here as my guests.  I leave you to eat your meal, and enjoy your reunion.  With Sigmar's help, I may be able to bring your eldest brother here to continue the festivities."  With that, he turned on his heel and left the room, the guards watching the Vitecs after the door shut.  Arathos was fuming with rage as he made his way to the courtyard; the prisoners were let out twice daily to relax and enjoy the sunlight (he was no barbarian, and treated his captives well, though handgunners on the walls ensured they did not try anything foolish), and he meant to speak to them.  As he walked out, the captured halberdiers and lancers looked over, stopping their various conversations as Arathos waited for silence.
     "Men of Karoly, prisoners of this war, I have come to make you an offer.  Any of you who wish to fight for the Dawnstriders are now welcome to do so, and receive your freedom after you serve our army.  Your families will be welcome to emigrate to our lands, and you will be treated well, paid a standard wage for your time, and be given your armor and weapons free of cost, yours to keep after your term is finished.  I know many of you will refuse this offer, for you both comprise stalwart bodyguard regiments, but the offer remains open until I declare otherwise, so feel free to think it over."  With that, he made his way past the men and out of the Hold altogether, and walked over to his greatswords.  Oberst Melhoff offered a salute as the general approached.
     "General sir, glad to see you're back.  I take it we're leaving soon?"  Arathos nodded, and the officer noticed the scowl faintly drawn across his face.  "Something the matter sir?"
     "I'm not in the mood to deal with these...Karolingians any further, but it seems war is not going to end just yet.  Amazing, isn't it?  I hold captive two of the three members of their royal family, and they still have the audacity to remain impetuous!"
     "Do you expect any of their soldiers to take that offer?"
     "No.  Maybe it will cause some disorder amongst them, maybe they'll wonder why I'm making it.  I don't really care, I just want to take as many troops away from our enemy as possible.  Besides, with all the fighting we could use fresh troops wherever we find them."  With that, the troops Arathos had brought with him to escort Thomas to Schwarzbaum made ready to leave, and march back to Moslac.  It is likely they would arrive at the same time as Ricardo and Rheinhardt, though neither army realized it.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 07, 2009, 08:04:46 PM
Schwarzbaum, Border Princes IC 2524

The Black Company soldiers surprised Arathos by accepting his offer. They were mercenaries after all, and would earn better pay fighting for the enemy than staying as prisoners of war. One condition was that they would form their own unit and receive their Black Armour back.

Thomas and Stefan sat in silence in the dining room. Stefan, now with his appetite returned, gorged himself on the banquet, Thomas ate his meal more civilised. It was the fat brother that broke the silence. "You know, I think we should've taken the man up on his offer, we could become rich under him."

Thomas dropped his knife. "You would join with the enemy against your own blood? Matthias has always been good to you, given you more'n you deserve." The younger Captain pushed his plate away.

"That may well be, but at least I didn't lose half our territory and an entire army!" Stefan scoffed.

Thomas leapt at his brother, his knife leaping into his hand. In a flurry of movement, the fork was at the fat man's throat, pushing into the flesh. A thin trickle of blood started dripping down the terrified man's neck. "I will take no more of your scowling you fat bastard. I don't want to see you again you snivelling coward." The  younger brother tossed the knife away, storming out of the room, a couple of guards flanking him back to his quarters.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 07, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
   Ricardo was busy rolling around under the blankets, teasing a local girl, when Juan came into the command tent. Juan Carlos was a good man, a man use to bloodshed, but he was not prepared to see his lord in the nude. Turning his face to the floor to better save himself from embarrassment, Juan spoke calmly and with what confidence he could gather.
   "My lord, I am sorry to interupt but, We are nearly there, a days march and we will be meeting up with Donixote and his force... We have received messages from Donixote explaining their current situation, if you would like sir, I could read them off to you."
  Ricardo rolled out from under the makeshift bed's covers, exposing himself for a few brief seconds before his servants came rushing over to dress him. Looking to his servants, speaking in Estalian, he ordered the girl removed from his tent and given to the troops for a bit of, as he put it, fun. As Ricardo walked over to Juan to better listen, the newly confused girl was shoved out of the bed and handled out of the tent by two Guards. As a chorus of laughs and whistles erupted from outside, Juan read the report to Ricardo and could tell his lord was not pleased.
   "Juan, do me a favor, when you leave the tent and get my horse, send a boy to Donixote on the fastest horse, tell him one message... I am coming, and he is leaving... I want ALL of my men pulled out of that town, this, this, - Moslac? I want it deserted! A rabble stops him at a BRIDGE?! A BRIDGE?! He wastes his efforts on an Assassin?! I don't care if he Killed Diego, I want my MONEY! Tell him to Bring that chest of gold to me now! I want to see this Arathos and I want that rabble crushed! Bring up ALL of my Cannon and BLAST THEM! I do not want a single soul left alive to speak of how Donixote failed me! He was to put on a good appearance, not fight rabble and peasants! WE ARE HERE TO MAKE MONEY, not fight a war over revenge! Stupido! Well, What are you waiting for?! Get out of here you son of a pig!"
   Juan dashed out of the tent, quickly setting everything into motion. The army packed up and was set out to march once more. Juan quickly sent out a messenger boy before trotting up to the Dawnstrider guides. Speaking in their tongue, Juan tried to hide his accent and speak as clearly as he could. "There is a slight change of plans. . . We are going to Moslac, you are to ride to your liege Arathos as fast as you can and tell him to meet my Lord Ricardo at once. Tell him, we wish to talk... uh... gold, money? Business, you choose the word... Just bring him here."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 07, 2009, 10:10:13 PM
The River Trebleca, Border Princes IC 2524

The night was pitch black. The Nightman, his face blackened by soot scurried down the bank of the western side of the river. With him were four other men Alphonse had seen good qualities in, they were similarly garbed in dark clothes with blackened skin. The Dawnstriders in their retreat had left several boats on the bank, though many were destroyed by either the retreating troops or cannon fire. Alphonse had seen an intact one during the day and he made for this quickly, but silently. The river was still swollen, but the turbid waters had calmed down from the previous days, and Alphonse and his raiders paddled over it with relative ease. Once on the other side of the bank, the Nightman and three of the Karolingians crept up to the enemy gun emplacements, the fourth waited with the boat, his crossbow loaded.

A sentry strolled near the mortar which the raiders hid behind. He looked to be a Dawnstrider, but it was hard to tell, the faint lights from the enemy camps was playing havoc with Alphonse's night vision. The Nightman slid forward, making for the sentries' turned back. At the last second, the Nightman's thigh-length leather boot scraped on a rock, making the sentry startle and turn to the raiders. Alphonse leapt on the enemy soldier, clamping his hand on the man's mouth. The other raiders rushed forward to hold the man down, before knocking him swiftly on the temple, knocking him out.

They were about to return to the boat when a newcomer stumbled onto the scene. He was an Estalian artilleryman, obviously coming to check on his gun, the sign of a veteran soldier. There was a few seconds of silence as the Nightman and his men gazed at the man, his mouth open. The magic was broken by the Estalian crying out, it was cut short though, as Alphonse darted forward, knocking the man from his feet. The man fell onto a pile of cannon balls, knocking himself out, but causing a great clattering. Alphonse lifted the artilleryman by his shoulders dragging him down to the river bank. The other two men brought the Dawnstrider.

There was shouting coming from the camp now, as men were jumping from their fires to the alert. By the time men had raced up to the front line, the boat was already a quarter of the way across the river, the raiders not bothering about the splashing their frantic paddling was causing. Alphonse gazed back at the enemy scrambling to their defences, fires had been lit, lighting up the tiny boat and their crew paddling. Crossbow bolts started to whizz past the men's heads, causing the raiders to duck down. The crossbowmen were skilled, sending bolt after bolt at the boat in quick succession, several of them found their mark, slamming into two of the raiders and wounding the third in the arm. Alphonse propped the two dead men up behind him, creating a shield for the prisoners and the surviving Karolingians. A cannon added to the salve of Crossbows, though it went far wide of the retreating raiders and Alphonse judged them to be nearing the other bank as the gloom set in once more.

One hour later. Estalian Prisoner Tent
The two men were seated in separate tents, a burly Sergeant was with each of them, loosening their tongues somewhat. Alphonse himself stepped into the tent of the Estalian, cleaned up and dressed as any other officer. The man had been blabbering in his language for some time now, Alphonse didn't know Tilean, he only spoke Reikspiel and Strigany, so a soldier named Alessio came with him as interpreter.

"Greeting my friend. Welcome to the camp of the Black Company. Now, tell me who your commander is, tell me how many men he has, and tell me what sort of men he has."

The Dawnstider Prisoner Tent

In the other tent, the Lieutenant walked in and sat opposite the captured Dawnstrider soldier, he was little more than a boy, very young and his uniform was slightly oversized for him.

"How are you my good fellow?" asked the young officer. "Can I get you anything? food? drink?"

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 07, 2009, 11:20:10 PM
The Estalian eyed the man in front of him, he didn't understand a word he had spoken. When the interpreter first spoke to him in Tilean, the Estalian gave the man flat stares as yet again he did not understand him.
The bold prisoner eyed his captures and spoke one word. "Estalian!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 08, 2009, 02:37:50 PM
Whew, a lot going on.  This is getting more fun by the day!

The Road to Moslac, Eastern Border Princes

Arathos was pleased to concede the offer to the men, but was not yet willing to leave them unattended.  They were marching with him to Moslac, along with another cavalry unit of his and his greatswords; he didn't quite trust them, and was not about to leave them unsupervised within the city.  They wore their black armor, and Arathos was considering giving them special tabards to signify their unique nature.  By the time they had marched a day from the city, he was in good spirits indeed.  He wasn't sure what the Vitecs were doing in Schwarzbaum, but he was certain that they would be excellent bargaining chips when he met with Matthias.  How often does one approach a king with two princes hostage, after all?  He left the greatswords as they marched and made his way to the Black Company, and mingled with the soldiers.  He took the rest of the day and used it to learn about them; their names, where they lived and grew up, why they fought, and what they wanted out of life.

Rheinhardt's Camp, Somewhere South of Moslac

Rheinhardt was not pleased with these Estalians so far; they appeared to be a bit crude and undisciplined for his tastes, but then Rheinhardt was a fierce disciplinarian and not known for his patience.  He was in the middle of morning drills when the Estalians had made hasty preparations to leave; he himself was in the middle of reading a message from Frederick, and nodded to the Estalian leader.  He spoke to the translator: "Tell him I'll send an emissary with all haste to summon the General, but I must press with all possible speed to Moslac as well."  With that, Rheinhardt barked out the orders for the men to break camp and move out, and the disciplined soldiers of the Legion moved swiftly to continue the march.

Eastern Bank of the River Trebleca

Brimcon tossed a few pebbles into the river, sighing as he made notes here and there about it's depth.  Frederick watched him, waiting for an answer to the question he'd asked.  Finally, it came.  "No good, Under-Marshall.  It's too far and too deep to haul out from here, at least not without a great deal of work.  Those enemy sentries won't let us get that close without shooting, and they won't let us stay once they see what we're up to."
     "Sir, then there is no way to recover the tank?"
     "Not from this side of the river; we'll have to wait until the General comes, and maybe we can push them back and take the other bank.  We don't need to hold it forever, just for a few hours, maybe a day, until I can pull it free and haul it back across the bridge."  Frederick sighed, kicking a small rock into the river and then wincing as pain flared from his hip.

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent, Karolingian Camp due West of Moslac

Mark Pfielhart had only enlisted a year ago, but already he had grown to enjoy his time in the Dawnstriders.  He was young, but determined to prove himself and maybe even earn command of his own unit.  Now, he was a little scared; he'd heard rumors of how this camp harbored a murderer who crept about in the shadows, and cut the throats of men without warning or reason.  He was certain the Butcher of Karoly, as they called this anonymous assassin, was going to come for him in the night one of these days.  No one could stop him, the men said, if he wanted you.  Frederick's guards had not saved the Estalian, and more than a few soldiers had been found dead in Moslac despite never being far from their comrades.  He tried to remember what he was taught, and took a deep breath.  "My name is Mark Pfielhart, 7th Infantry.  I can be ransomed back to my commanding officer, he is authorized to pay for my safe return."  He sighed, as the man before him simply nodded; no one told him what to do after this, except not to betray his unit under any circumstances.  His comrades depended on him not to put their lives in danger with a loose tongue.  He was thirsty, and a bit hungry, though.  Surely a bite of bread and some water would do no harm?  "Um, some water, and perhaps some bread, would be nice, sir."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 08, 2009, 11:59:04 PM
Which reminds me ... I need to see if I can complete that "to be continued" post regarding the Bretonnians, some time this weekend maybe.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 09, 2009, 02:41:27 PM
Estalian Prisoner Tent

Alphonse glanced at the interpreter, the man was eyeing the prisoner curiously. "Whats all that about?" The nightman asked.
"He certainly speaks something that sounds like Tilean, but different. My cousin once went to Tobaro with a merchant ship - he said they speak oddly there too."
"So perhaps he is from the pig lover's city?"
"I don't think so, there are more city states across the mountains in Estalia, perhaps he is from there. However, we should be able to communicate with Tilean."
Alphonse nodded. "Tell me your name"

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent

"Alright Mark, your hungry, Ja?" The man nodded "Perhaps we can get some food in here for you." The Lieutenant called to a guard outside the tent. "So Mark, where do you come from?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 09, 2009, 04:10:27 PM
Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent

"Brovska.  I lived there until I heard about the Dawnstriders, then I left to enlist."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 09, 2009, 06:04:39 PM
Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent

"Ah very good, very good. We have a number of men from Brovska ourselves. So, you joined the Dawnstriders, what as though? I seem to remember from the report you were armed with a spear. There many spearmen in your camp?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 09, 2009, 09:42:13 PM
  The Estalian eyed them. He spoke in rural Estalian, that of the Peasents, "I am Jorge Yojahne, what is it you want from me?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 09, 2009, 09:46:30 PM
Estalian Prisoner Tent

"Tell me who your commander is and how big the armies across the river are, perhaps we can get you some food and women in return."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 09, 2009, 10:13:18 PM
   The Estalian eyed the man, almost as if he said a joke, he enjoyed the thought of the rewards. "Donixote! He is our leader, any fool knows that... As for our numbers... I honestly cannot say... We are still counting the dead and the living after the battle..."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 10, 2009, 03:13:13 PM
New Solland’s First Battle
(4,000 pts Dow with a handful of Empire units incorporated versus 2,000 Empire allied with 2,000 Ogres)

Several miles south of Mortensholm

Baron Uryens de Crux had given his order, and by the morning not only was the army assembled in its battle lines, but it had begun its final move to bring it into contact with the foe. There were too many spies and scouts to keep the manoeuvre from the foe, and so Don Matthias Black Company were made ready for battle too. This was no surprise, for there was not a man or Ogre there who had not known that battle had must surely be joined either that day or the next.

The land between the armies was empty of trees, for the New Sollanders and their Ogre allies had moved beyond the edge of the forest. But there were still hills - the foothills of the Black Mountains at the very western end of what were commonly called the Trebleca hills. Both armies intended to utilise those hills.

To the west was a branch of the river Dante, so close that it’s rocky banks would form one entire flank of the battlefield.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle1.jpg)

Upon the hazardous march south, Uryens had avoided too much contact between his men and the Ogres. Determined to continue this strategy now, he ordered his own men to form the left flank of the allied force, and accepted only the Ogre Maneaters (who were much more used to the company of men, and vica versa) to join his ranks. The Tyrant Agrabog would thus move up on Uryens’ right. The Baron had no intention of attempting to order how Agrobog should array his force, a common sense decision in more than one way: first the Ogre would probably be too proud to listen; secondly, Uryens had little understanding of how best to array such brutes for battle.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle2.jpg)

Atop his Griffon, the Baron was an impressive sight. Most of those who served under him had done so for many a year (this was an army of veterans) and so he felt that he would not need to be ‘down on their level’ to closely supervise. Besides, his sergeants and captains knew what was expected of them, and were fully versed in all the signals he might employ from the back of his monstrous mount.

His three tertios of foot advanced in line. The Great Swords followed their two Swordsmen detachments, while both regiments of Halberdiers adopted the same formation, having their Free Company detachments on their left and their hangunners out in front. The light cannon and the Hellblaster (the latter a novelty that Uryens had never before employed in battle) took position on and below the hill. The Knights moved up on the far left, with a brace of Maneaters nearby ready to try to match their pace

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle7.jpg)

On the right, Agrabog strung his force out almost in a line. Of course, the huge Scrap Launcher need not take up room in the line as it was perfectly capable of shooting over the Ogres’ heads. The Rhinox was so massive, that its Gnoblar crew were almost at the same height as the cannon on the hilltop! Agrabog marched with his Ironguts Bodyguard, and his Bruiser Thaddeus with one of the Bull’s regiments. One pair of Leadbelchers joined the line. The other pair moved more cautiously behind the Gnoblars. One Butcher was also cautious and joined a unit of Bulls, but the second chose to risk moving up on the far right. Perhaps he thought that from there he might get a better view of proceedings?

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle8.jpg)

This was not the Sollanders’ full strength. Uryens had left a garrison at Mortensholm, and much of his cavalry was dispersed to cover his flanks, to scout and (importantly) to forage. Mortensholm had not had much in the way of supplies to offer the army when it arrived. Even Agrabog had only two thirds of his force here, though he had much less of an idea regarding where his absent warriors were.

The Black Company, however, was mustered in the full strength it could gather, for Don Matthias had known this was coming. To be honest, he had been surprised how long it had taken the enemy to bring him to battle. He had even resorted to goading the foe with the horrible practise of placing the heads of the dead of Mortensholm upon stakes on the road south of the town.

Now the Don was ready, as where his mercenary army, the Black Company. It was an impressive sight. He placed most of his foot, certainly the massed ranks of Halberd, Pike and Sword all together in the hope that they would effectively guard each others flanks and thus prove an immovable obstacle to the foe. Upon the left he sent several units intended to ‘play’ with the enemy, to delay them, distract them, and howsoever keep them occupied while the rest of his army did the real bloody work to the centre and right. The Don rode with his Lancer upon the far right, with Captain Luitpold and the other Lancer company close by, and one of the fast cavalry units for support. His artillery, three cannons and a mortar, he placed between his Horse and Foot, and put both regiments of Crossbowmen upon the hill to add to the destruction dealt out by the guns.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle3.jpg)

The Black Company's left, intended as a distraction, was made up of archers, Norsemen and Light Horse. Nearby, Pirazzo’s mercenaries, armed with a mixture of Pike and Crossbow, formed the very left-most end of the main line.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle4.jpg)

In the centre the foot regiments marched in precise step with each other, presenting one single, neat line to the foe. The baggage, containing much of what was robbed from Mortensholm, was behind them. It seemed impossible that the foe would reach the baggage, for the Foot were like the solid, thick wall of a fortification.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle6-1.jpg)

Captain Luitpold asked for the honour of leading his own Lancers to front, and the Don graciously granted his request. In truth, the Don never intended to lead the attack, but was much more keen to linger behind as a reserve, so that he could deliver a punch from his own Lancers wherever was most appropriate as the battle unfolded.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle5.jpg)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 10, 2009, 11:13:35 PM
This is very impressive! :icon_biggrin:

The lines of soldiers lined up for a massive 4,000 points per side battle, the results of which will set the stage for more story line, just incredible! :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 11, 2009, 12:29:17 AM
(Continued from a previous post a couple of pages back ...)

Beauport (formerly Matorea),  Border Princes, 2524 I.C.
...

“Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot has taken his forces north to the village of Haverty at the edge of his territory.  Prince Dominique Veneaux of Alynda has moved his soldiers along the west side of the River Dante to back up Prince Alain Herriot, but having to go further and move across country they haven’t likely reached where Prince Alain is yet.  Meanwhile, Prince Jaques Detz of Khypris has headed to support Prince Stephen Clemenaceau in Charlesbourg, and I suspect because they have a fairly decent road to travel between the two locations, they will arrive there very soon, if not already.”

“And what of Mortensholm, Sir Augustin?”

“Reports have surfaced that the community has been hit hard, Graf Edric Steinkhuler VI’s army has been decisively defeated, and for some reason Don Mathias’ Black Company has pulled back from Mortensholm’s immediate vicinity and back out of the forest northwest of the Dante River.”

“And what do you see would make sense for our military that we have here?”

“It is my feeling that we would be premature in committing our forces in that direction, nor towards Charleroi, without learning more of how the Black Company will proceed.  And in the meantime, it could be best for us to await return communications from Prince Francoise de Molinar in Brovska, and Prince Pierre-Jean Renoir in Zenres, regarding what they might know of the whereabouts of Prince Andre de Monfort of Charleroi.”

“What, if anything have you heard about this already, Sir Augustin?”

“We know he left Charleroi with his men headed for Brovska, and rumor has it that the Moslac town elders may have taken advantage of his leaving.  Yet without much in the way of protection from the Black Company, it is easy to see why the Don may have occupyied this location for the same strategic reasons that we did last year.  And our communications with our eastern extension as already slowed a bit as a result.”

“Ok, let’s do as you have already suggested, and see what happens from there.”

“Very well, my lady, and I will let you know as soon as we receive more information.”

“Wonderful, and I bid you farewell, until dinner time as you go about the rest of your responsibilities, good sir.”

“Thank you, my lady, and good day.”

With that, Sir Augustin turned and walked from the room.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 11, 2009, 12:55:08 AM
Sunderly's Field, Border Princes IC 2524

Luitpold walked over to his horse, donning his helm as he went. His Standard Bearer, Bartalan, joined him, leading his own horse and carrying the banner over his shoulder. The rest of the Lancers dismounted to save the horses, and broke camp, though still remained armoured and with their weapons close.

The Bretonnian Nobles were slowly walking their horses toward the middle of the field. Luitpold had served in the Reiksguard for over ten years, and had been stationed at Helmsgardt for a fair few of those years, having to meet many a noble and had become somewhat of an authority in the matter. The noble walking his horse toward him had an elaborate set of heraldry, signifying him as a Duke, or as the new Bretonnian masters in the Borders had liked to call themselves royalty.

The four men met at the centre of the dusty field. Luitpold, his hand raised in greeting, his voice muffled by his gleaming black sallet-style helm, spoke first. "Your Highness, I am Luitpold von Jorgen, Captain of the Lancers under his Majesty Matthias I of Karoly. His Highness himself has sent me on a mission of peace to your realm in the hope your Noble sir would see fit for us to discuss military and political issues that will join our two most noble and great houses in a unity of the greatest importance."

Sir Jacques Montfrouche took his eyes off what he was watching as the leader of the Black Company Lancers approached with a standard bearer and spoke to Prince Alain Herriot, but continued to periodically and frequently look back in the general direction of the woods and undergrowth off to his left.

And Prince Alain Herriot replied, "Good Captain von Jorgen, I am Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot, and the great land of Bretonnia from over the mountains and the sea depending of course on which way one arrives.  I am pleased to make your acquaintance, and am most interested in the peace you speak of, particularly in the light of what we have heard regarding the Black Company's activities both east and west of you own lands.  However, I must say that our Princess Sophia du Beaucamp of Beauport, a lady most worthy of myself reporting to, has become concerned regarding your leader's occupancy of Charleroi, and although my aide here," as the Prince then gestured towards Mervin, the Mentreda horsebowmen and messenger, "has relayed to me that you have mentioned that the Empire has invaded the realm of the Border Princes, why would they do such a thing at this time when they face what has been reported as great troubles throughout their own lands after having been hit so hard by the forces of Chaos a couple of years back, and while the current time we hearing is already being called, "The Dark Years" north of the Black Mountains?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 11, 2009, 12:57:55 AM
Aha! The battle I've been waiting for!

I must say, those are two very impressive armies, those Ogres on the Solland right flank look dangerous, and Uryens is likely to chew through many a Border Princite on that griffon.

I'm hoping that helblaster blows up early on! It's aiming right at the Don's pike!

Perhaps Luitpold can lead his hand picked Lancia Cavalry in a glorious charge that'll go down in the history books! (Or most probably get frightened and ride home as fast as he can)

But man Uryens, what was going through your mind when Padre plonked 6 infantry regiments on the table right in front of you?

Looking forward to the update!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 11, 2009, 01:08:31 AM

Sir Jacques Montfrouche took his eyes off what he was watching as the leader of the Black Company Lancers approached with a standard bearer and spoke to Prince Alain Herriot, but continued to periodically and frequently look back in the general direction of the woods and undergrowth off to his left.

And Prince Alain Herriot replied, "Good Captain von Jorgen, I am Prince Alain Herriot of Chateau-Herriot, and the great land of Bretonnia from over the mountains and the sea depending of course on which way one arrives.  I am pleased to make your acquaintance, and am most interested in the peace you speak of, particularly in the light of what we have heard regarding the Black Company's activities both east and west of you own lands.  However, I must say that our Princess Sophia du Beaucamp of Beauport, a lady most worthy of myself reporting to, has become concerned regarding your leader's occupancy of Charleroi, and although my aide here," as the Prince then gestured towards Mervin, the Mentreda horsebowmen and messenger, "has relayed to me that you have mentioned that the Empire has invaded the realm of the Border Princes, why would they do such a thing at this time when they face what has been reported as great troubles throughout their own lands after having been hit so hard by the forces of Chaos a couple of years back, and while the current time we hearing is already being called, "The Dark Years" north of the Black Mountains?"

Luitpold nodded to this. "Indeed the north has had it's troubles, but it seems they have taken and interest in the Imperial-influenced lands to their south. His highness King Matthias is learned in history, he sees in Bretonnia a greatness that is not seen in any other kingdom of man, excluding his own, of course. Would you not think it therefore sensible our two like-minded peoples would fight side by side heroically against a barbaric neighbour who treats both our noble peoples as subordinates to themselves?" He paused a second to read the Prince's reaction, but was awarded with no expression to discern it from. "On the issue of Charlerloi, I am not in the power to return the town to Bretonnia's hands, my king, though has urged me to come to a solution with our noble southern neighbours. Your scouts may have seen that the town is under siege by more Imperials invading from the east and most probably from Black Fire Pass - another example of the barbarity of the Empire."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 11, 2009, 01:44:46 AM
Sunderly's Field, North of Haverty and Mantreda, Border Princes, Late Spring, I.C. 2524

Prince Alain listened with little expression, and spoke after Lutipold provided his question.

"Good Captain von Jorgen, it would seem so far that the forces that have arrived from the Empire have been screening their size and movements with various cavalry, scouts, and even some Ogres, and it is yet to be determined how many have actually made this so-called invasion.  I am sure that my lady, Princess du Beaucamp, would want to be certain these forces were really a threat before moving to consolidate all of our multitude of knights and men-at-arms from across the dozen or so communities that we have rescued from the various forms of deprivations and tyrants that they have been beseiged with for years here in the Border Princes.  Additionally, scouting out Charleroi is beyond my responsibility, but I'm sure Princess du Beaucamp will have someone taking on such duties, if she hasn't so instructed someone else to do so already.  You may not be in a position to provide what I am sure she will request, perhaps between you and I, we can relay eachother's diplomatic talking points to our individual lords, you to Don Matthias, and I to Princess Sophia du Beaucamp, and we shall see what their response are in turn.  The Princess, as well as all of those under her jurisdiction here in the Border Princes, wishes to see Charleroi returned to our governorship, and I can be certain she knows the Don is looking for some assistance with the Imperial forces that have now entered the Border Princes.  But, it may take something more, in light of the idea that Charleroi was occupied by your forces prior to the Black Company's assault on Mortensholm, and the ensuing Imperial force that has now descended upon this area currently.  A request to the Don of what else he may be willing to provide in addition to the return of Charleroi could be in order, good Captain, before such an alliance can be fully obtained."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 11, 2009, 02:55:48 AM
In the same vein as Inarticulate, I've written up some stats and special rules for the various named members of the Dawnstriders.  Willing to post if anyone's interested.

Dawnstrider Prisoner Tent, Karolingian Camp

Mark shifted a bit, now this man was asking questions he knew he wasn't supposed to answer.  He shifted a bit, and nodded.  "Yes, I'm a spearman, but I...I can't say more than that."

Eastern Side of the Bridge over the River Trebleca

"Maybe we should resume bombardment, sir?"  Frederick looked down at the dwarf, who simply gulped down another mouthful of ale.  As Erberk wiped his beard, he peered across the bridge.  "There can't be many of them left; we can smash through with another strong charge.  Their morale is high, but there were only 400 there a few days ago; we outnumber them many times over, surely we can break them!"  A belch was his answer, and he looked down.
     "We're not trying anything till General's back.  Orders, lad."  A moan was heard from behind them, and both glanced over to see Averrob asleep on the cobblestones, Gelnar sifting through his pockets (though still lashed to the staff Averrob gripped tightly in his sleep).  Frederick sighed, and stared hard across the bridge.  "Don't even think about it.  Ye had yer shot, ye blew it.  The General will be here, he'll take the be-damned bridge himself."
     "The General is not a one man army; we can't expect him to work miracles."
     "Ye don't know him well, at all."  Erberk refilled his empty mug, taking a gulp before going on, "Ye think I'm in this army fer the likes of ye and the other umgi?"
     "What's that supposed to mean?"
     "It means if ye think a dwarf will follow, and take orders from, anyone but an older and wiser dwarf, yer a daft fool.  So, ye chew on that and ponder what it means that I'm takin' orders from a manling that's nae old enough to be off his mother's teat in dwarf years, and what it says about the man."  Erberk finished his stein, then stood and thumped it hard into the man's chest.  "And ye best get me some more beer, before I decide to thump ye proper fer the mess ye've caused and then bad-mouthing yer superior to boot."  Erberk stomped over to Averrob, kicking him in the shoulderblade.  "Wake up ye lousy drunk!"  Averrob groaned and opened his eyes in time to see Gelnar fishing a hunk of bread out of his pocket.
     "My lucky mold!"  Averrob backhanded the puny goblin hard, the miserable creature flying until it's tether snapped it back to Averrob.  Screaming and scrabbling on the stone could be heard, and Frederick shut his eyes with a sigh, Erberk's deep dwarven yell intruding upon him moments later.
     "Beer!  Hurry it up, lad!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 11, 2009, 07:41:08 AM
But man Uryens, what was going through your mind when Padre plonked 6 infantry regiments on the table right in front of you?

Looking forward to the update!

I was more distracted by the number of artillery pieces in front of me...oh that an "man I hope my volley gun works well!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 11, 2009, 02:32:21 PM
New Solland’s First Battle

Several miles south of Mortensholm

Uryens looked up and down the lines, far off to his right he could see the Ogres, damn brutes that they were, but worrysome nonetheless, let them be ground down against those pikes, rather than good, honest Solland fighting men.

More troublesome though were all those knights ahead of him, them and the artillery. All of a sudden bringing "Lillith", his Griffon mount, seemed a rash decision.

Still, the lines were set now. All that was left was to drive this robber baron back into the wilderness.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 11, 2009, 03:51:31 PM
Part 2 (turn 1 and much of turn 2)

With a flurry of drum rolls and blaring horns upon both sides, the battle began. Having a mind to see if Agrabog’s brutes could do the lion’s share of fighting, Uryens ordered a minimal advance by his own troops. The two Maneaters moving cautiously upon the left, and only the two Handgunner detachments and a detachment of Swordsmen joined them forming a ‘forlorn hope’. The men behind watched as their fellows moved away from them, some feeling relief, others apprehension, but all laced with guilt.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle9.jpg)

The Baron hoped that Agrabog might think he was probing the foe with such a manoeuvre, testing their mettle, finding out whether they had powder. The truth was that Uryens wanted to come out of this battle not only victorious, but with his own men substantially intact and Agrabog’s force weakened. There was no doubt in his mind that he could not trust his foul ally. This was his chance to kill two birds with one stone – fight the enemy, and weaken his troublesome ally.

Agrabog had given such considerations no thought. He was here to fight, to win, to loot – and the enemy’s (stolen) baggage looked substantial. Not that he was in a rush, but his caution was more to do with the Black Company’s reputation, and not with hoping his allies would bear the brunt of the fighting. To his mind the brunt of the fighting was what he expected and wanted. Yet he was not so foolish as to advance too hurriedly or clumsily at the foe. So he sent two leadbelchers out ahead and watched with interest to see how the enemy reacted to their particular form of punishment.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle10.jpg)

Behind, he and his main line moved much more slowly forwards. Agrabog and Thaddeus his Bruiser scrutinised the massed ranks ahead of them looking for weaknesses. Both wanted to apply blows where the effect would be most damaging.

Out on the far right, however, one of the Butchers felt no such hesitancy and marched out along the rocky bank of the river, considering what spells he might employ. His fellow magic user wound the spell ‘Trollguts’ about the Bulls he was marching with, and they felt a new vigour and strength course through their frames. Uryens’ own Priests attempted to conjure blessings of their own into being, and one of them succeeded in imbuing his regiment of Halberdiers with a magical fortitude. Sigmar himself smiled upon them so that they brimmed with courage and purpose.

While these prayers were being uttered, rather more mundane efforts were being made elsewhere on the field. The cannon, however, only felled two Crossbowmen and not the cannon it was aimed at, while the Hellblaster stayed quiet (the crew well aware that they were still out of range). But it was amongst the Ogres that the most dramatic artillery incident occurred. The Scraplauncher was badly mishandled by its Gnoblar crew, and in attempting to shoot they instead drove the beast into the rear of Thaddeus’ regiment of Bulls, slaying two of them with its sheer bulk, and damaging itself irreparably in the process. Agrabog roared with anger as he realised that the enemy had not yet even been reached, nor had they unleashed even one arrow, and yet his own warriors were already falling!

Upon the other side of the field, and far from the sight of the Ogres’ discomfort, Don Matthias and Captain Luitpold, manoeuvred themselves as best they could to prepare for the delivery of charges. Both were aware of the limited space available to their Lancer units, as well as the fact that the enemy commander was riding a monstrous Griffon. Perhaps foolishly, the nearby Light Horse now moved up ahead, intending to draw the enemy on and thus break their line.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle11.jpg)

On the Black Company’s left, a score of skirmishing Archers mounted the hill and notched their arrows, while the second company of Light Horse arrayed themselves at the foot of the hill to consider which enemy they might charge. It seemed that every Light Horseman on the field was feeling confident and impetuous, for they were now the foremost on both flanks. The Norsemen, having almost lost their chance to fight in the previous battle, also made their way to the top of the hill, from where they intended to pour down onto the foe in a an overwhelming charge. Perhaps less boldly, the Estalian Duellists crept up on the far left in the shadow of the hill.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle12.jpg)

The massed ranks of Black Company foot soldiers simply stood as they were, while their drums beat ever more rapid peels of defiance. Jan Van Junge glanced to his left to see the archers atop the hill and made the quick decision to magically aid their efforts with the Portent of Far. He succeeded in casting his spell, even though his concentration almost failed when the boom, boom, boom of artillery fire burst to the right of him. A lot of smoke and several iron balls later and only two Sollanders had fallen, along with only two Ogres scratched by splinters. Yet there was to be a huzzah yet, for the two companies of crossbowmen upon and in front of the hill let loose every one of their quarrels at the approaching Maneaters. Both brutes fell to the ground, pierced umpteen times – too many to count. As this huzzah was sounded, far to the left of the line there was another such cheer as Pirrazzo’s men brought down one of the Leadbelchers daring to approach.

Agrabog might have had the brain of an Ogre, but he had wits enough now to realise that dawdling was not going to be the best course of action on this day. He pointed at the foe and shouted,

“At ‘em! And fast. Tear ‘em to pieces!”

His warriors, a little dazed by what the Scraplauncher had done, gathered what wits they had together and began the advance proper. The Butcher out on his own thought that he might be able to swipe the Duellists aside, and so moved towards them. The Gnoblars next to him also advanced, keen to show their masters that they too were willing to fight (and greedy to get at the shiny, sharp things the enemy carried).

Uryens still wanted to see what the Ogres might do, and although he ordered a general advance, it was only to bring his main regiments closer to his forlorn hope. Those men at the very front had already halted, preparing to deliver a volley of handgun fire before they moved again. The crew of the Hellblaster, now realising that the enemy probably had no intention of moving any further forwards, now tugged and heaved at their warmachine to drag it laboriously forwards. Having sweated hard to fetch this great metal beast over the Winter’s Teeth Pass, they were determined that the contrary sod would fire at the foe.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle13.jpg)

Uryens urged Lillith over a little, to sit behind his Heavy Knights, but he was glad to see that they chose not to accept the enemy’s bait and charge at the Light Horse – they too could obviously see that the enemy was trying to lure them into a trap.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle14.jpg)

Little magic was brought to bear as Butchers, Priests and Wizard all failed to usher their magical conjurations past the enemy’s guard. The crew of the light cannon had now spotted Don Matthias with his elaborate armour, and laughing, they chose to target him personally (he was sitting right in the middle of his Lancers). Their good humour was dulled however when their piece misfired -  a flash in the pan. Better luck was had by the Leadbelcher and the Gnoblars on the right, for between them they brought down four of the Light Horse. The brave Black Company riders, however, were steadfast, and continued their rapid advance. The Handgunners could only add two crossbowmen to the tally of the enemy’s dead.

Considering what the Scraplauncher had done to its own side, this was all in all a disappointing effort by the missile troops of the Solland alliance.

Seeing an opportunity, the Light Horse ahead of Luitpold’s Lancers now charged at the detachment of Free Company ahead of them, knowing they had a good chance of victory over such a weak foe, and that if the enemy Lancers tried to charge them subsequently, their own Lancers would be able to strike at the enemy knights’ flank. A good plan, they thought. Of course, little on a battlefield goes exactly to plan, and this was to prove the case here: the Free Company fled (being run down in the process) and the Light Horse ended up charging the enemy’s knights! They would be the first to admit that this would never be their first choice of target, yet at the same time, they had the initiative, and if they could fell one or two, maybe the courage of even such elite and heavily armoured warriors would fail?

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle15.jpg)


To be continued …..
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 11, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
And the supense is building! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 11, 2009, 07:45:52 PM
New Solland’s First Battle

Several miles south of Mortensholm

"Damn those gunners!" cursed Uryens. They were new and untried men, not his old and trusted men, they were still in Mortensholm, or on the way back to Solland. At least the fearsome looking ogre monster had not done any real damage, and wouldnt be any trouble later, but by Myrmidia these opening exchanges werent going his way, still, he had drawn the light horse on and he knew full well the Knights of the Green Cross would not break in the face of a few light horse.


(The Knights of the Green Cross are a very small order, devoted to Tall and Rhya and usually wonder the Empire singly, acting as champions to help roadwardens and travellers along the roads of the Empire and beyond.)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 11, 2009, 10:03:29 PM
Oooh this is brilliant!

'Huzzah' to crossbowmen!

In the same vein as Inarticulate, I've written up some stats and special rules for the various named members of the Dawnstriders.  Willing to post if anyone's interested.

Go for it
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 11, 2009, 11:16:46 PM
New Solland’s First Battle - Part Three
(Remainder of turn 2 and all of turn 3)

At the very same moment the now half strength Light Horse upon the other flank charged boldly and desperately into the lone Butcher, while the Estalian Duellists quaked in fear at the very thought of joining their comrades in such a fight. The Norse, characteristically unable to restrain themselves, hurled down the hill towards the lone Leadbelcher. But the Ogre, a cunning sort, fled away. He knew three things – first that he could outrun them, second that he would be able to reload later if he did get away, and third that the Norse warriors would find themselves facing potential countercharges by several of Agrabog’s units. With all this in mind, he was laughing as he ran – whilst feigning fear so amateurishly that the Ogres nearest to him laughed too.

While Luitpold and the Don both re-jigged the Lancers’ positions, the rest of the army stood defiantly still, as if entirely unconcerned at the enemy’s approach. The Pikemen stood at the advance, giving the appearance that do so were no effort at all, and so ready at any moment to lower their pikes into the ‘charge’ position; the Swordsmen nonchalantly rested their curved blades upon their right shoulders; the Halberdiers stood at order, the blades of their weapons so keenly sharpened that they glinted in the sun.

Perhaps the apparent lack of concern was contagious? For the wizards failed to summon any form of magic into being, and between all four artillery pieces, only one managed to hit anything, and that was a mere glancing blow upon the Hellblaster Volley Gun, doing little apparent damage. So too Pirazzo’s men and the archers upon the hill, who between them managed only to scratch at the advancing Ogres. The Crossbowmen upon the other hill did do a little better, for when they laid low three handgunners the rest of the detachment fled in panic.

But no-one had told the Light Horse that there was no rush. Those on the left slew the injured Butcher as he tried to escape, and those on the left brought down two noble Knights of the Order of the Green Cross. Understandably enraged, the knights in return killed three of the Black Company Riders, but somehow the Light Horse found the courage to stand and fight on! With the impetuous of their charge lost, they stood little chance of slaying any more Knights, but the killing of two had given them hope!

What the Riders had not expected was the arrival of the Baron himself on their flank. He and his monstrous mount tore three of the black clad warriors apart, and although the Knights were themselves too shaken to deal any effective blows, the sheer terror of the Griffon sapped whatever foolhardy courage the riders had previously felt. They now fled. The Baron gestured his will, which was not to pursue, and his loyal Knights stood their ground by his side. He had no intention of having them stumbling impetuously into the reach of the enemy’s Lancers. He was determined that both he and they should have the initiative in any further engagement.

Agrabog’s surviving Butcher and the Bulls he was commanding now smashed into the Norsemen, flattening three with the impact of their charge alone. Before the Norse could get their bearings, or even raise a sword in anger, five more were dispatched, so that the entire front rank had been killed.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle16.jpg)

This was too much punishment, too suddenly, and even though only a moment before they had been frothing at the mouth in their frenzied desire for bloody battle, they now took to their heels and fled. The Ogres bellowed their battle cries and ran after them, and as they were about to smash into the Archers upon the hill, these too fled in fear. Two large regiments had been broken there on the far right, but Uryens could not know, for the smoke of the enemy's guns was swirling across the field and blocking his line of sight.

Not to be outdone by their brothers in arms, the pair of Leadbelchers who had been moving up behind the Gnoblars grinned as they saw the Wolfpelt Riders (having just slain the Butcher) running by them. They turned to point their cannons at the foe …

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle17.jpg)

… and slaughtered all four in the fiery blasts that issued from the muzzles. Both set about re-loading, deciding that this battle was going to be fun after all.

Nearby the Gnoblars flinched at the sound of the guns, but the shock did not put off their aim. They threw a very sangrenel of daggers, hatchets and assorted broken blades at the Duellists, who proved base cowards for when only three fell injured the rest fled the field of battle entirely.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle18.jpg)

As his gnoblar slaves and Leadbelchers were having all this fun, Agrabog moved up with his Ironguts bodyguard, with Thaddeus and the last surviving Bull in his unit at his side. Nothing could yet coax the Sollanders to move much further forwards, apart for the lone Swordsmen detachment, who now found themselves approaching close to the Black Company’s cannon battery. They were beginning to wonder if they were had taken their role of forlorn hope a little too far.

As if the catastrophe with the Scraplauncher were not bad enough, once again disaster struck the allied army. Uryens’ wizard bit off more than he could chew trying to channel the Commandment of Brass. The resultant flare of uncontrolled magical energy not only wounded the wizard himself but killed all five of the Greatswords standing around him. The rest of the veteran warriors might have laughed at the wave of tickly, blue energy licking around their blades and armour, were it not for the horrible screams of the burnt and dying men, as well as the noisome stench of their scorched flesh.

Ill fortune was becoming a habit for the men of Solland, as now the cannon misfired a second time, and the Hellblaster failed to ignite properly so that only one Black Company Halberdier was brought down by its shot. Still, the Duellists had fled, the Norse, Light Horse and archers were fleeing, while one company of Light Horse had been torn to pieces. So it was not all going Don Matthias’ way.

The famous mercenary Pirrazzo decided that now was the time, and rather than shoot another little batch of bolts at the foe, he led his regiment in a charge against the bruiser Thaddeus and his last Bull.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle19.jpg)

The Black Company’s sable clad swordsmen moved up to guard Pirazzo’s flank, while the Instancabile Pike turned to face Agrabog, and lowered their pikes to present a very forest of steel barbs. Don Matthias, utterly unaware that twice now the enemy had attempted to fire a cannon right at him, and deep in conversation with his knightly companions regarding the situation, calmly manoeuvred his Lancers to take position at the foot of the rightmost hill, while the Crossbowmen who had been there (at least the few who had survived the enemy’s missile fire) made their way up the hill to get out of their master's way.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle20.jpg)

The Resplendente Pike regiment began the wheel towards the centre of the field, while their flank was protected by the Paymaster and his Bodyguard of Halberdiers. Both regiments were convinced that surely the enemy would be sending more than a detachment of swordsmen their way.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle21.jpg)

Luitpold could not take his eyes off the Griffon, and so he wheeled his own Lancers to face the foe squarely. He could barely believe his eyes when the two remaining Light Horse from the unit that had just been torn apart in combat with the monster rallied right in front of him, and turned to face the Knights of the Green Cross and their monster riding commander once more!

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle22.jpg)

Others in the Black Company, however, were beginning to fear the strangely calm advance of the Griffin and its noble rider. Spurred on by this concern all three cannons were now turned to face said creature and all three fired straight at it. Somehow it survived, though it was clear from the way it lurched that one of the balls had at least grazed it, if not delivered a telling punch.

Pirazzo and his men fought bravely against Thaddeus, and through their sheer weight of numbers they managed to stand their ground and fight on, even though the brutes were proving very hard to kill. Twelve Pikemen in the second and third rank stabbed forward to bolster the attacks of those in front, and yet Thaddeus like a devil, bloodied from the scratches, fought on.

(End of Turn 3. Continued ASAP)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 12, 2009, 09:13:10 AM
"Damn that was close" thought Uryens. "But a moment more though and I will be ready to strike and we shall sweep this butcher from the field."

He looked down his lines from his lofty heights on Lillith, far off he could see the Ogres, some pike had broken though by the looks of it, but if Agrabod had any sense at all, the Black Company's flank was about to be turned, then those pike wouldnt be worth a damn.

If only his cursed gunners had the wit to keep their powder dry, and if only he could have brought the whole of the Grand Army to bear, then this day would be won already.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 12, 2009, 11:50:35 AM
Those light cav shall go down in the annals of history as Knight Slayers!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 12, 2009, 11:55:22 AM
Those light cav shall go down in the annals of history as Knight Slayers!

My dice rolling for this battle should go down as a cautionary tale to all.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 12, 2009, 12:00:50 PM
I can imagine Padre (Or what I think he looks like) chuckling as your uber armour save lets you down. Those hippy knights couldn't stand up to some stick-wielding hill billies from the uncultured south. Hooray for hill billies!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 12, 2009, 12:19:07 PM
 :icon_lol:  You guys are both killing me this morning.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 12, 2009, 08:34:36 PM
New Solland’s First Battle – Final Part
(Turns 4 to 6)

Upon the far left of the Black Company’s line, both the Norsemen and the Archers had rallied, and set about attempting to reform their bodies. But their efforts were to prove of little worth, for when the Ogre Bulls charged them once more, they immediately turned tail and fled yet again. This time they scattered far and wide, and their contribution to the battle (little more than to keep a regiment of Bulls and a Butcher busy for a while) was over.

Agrabog now delivered a charge himself, aiming right for the pikemen ahead of him. His blood was up enough to care not a jot for the terrifying thicket of sharp steel blades they presented. Seeing his resolve, married to his size and ferocity, the Pikemen suddenly lost all confidence, and fled away from him and his Ironguts. But not so the Swordsmen at their rear, who now found themselves the subject of Agrabog’s attack. They stood their ground and received the Tyrant’s charge, somehow finding the courage the Pikemen had lacked.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle23.jpg)

The brave detachment of Sollander Swordsmen now took it upon themselves to march right past the mouths of the enemy’s artillery …

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle21a.jpg)

… while the still cautious Knights of the Green Cross moved once more towards the enemy, but not to engage them. In a similar vein, the massed Sollander foot regiments simply looked to their dressings, and several even moved slightly backwards.

It is fair to say that Uryens and his men were proving somewhat reluctant to commit to battle, at least not until they could be certain of some realistic chance of success. The Baron was waiting to see if the Ogres could begin to threaten the Black Company’s centre. Until they did, he could see that enemy before him was in too good a position, with artillery and crossbows and foot in sufficient numbers to maul his men very badly if they did attempt an approach.

And events would prove the Baron’s cautious attitude was well founded. For his cannon managed at last to fire but to do only minimal harm to the foe, and his Hellblaster finally proved something of a cursed white elephant when it exploded, destroying itself and its crew.

Even for Agrabog, everything was not exactly going his way. He and his Ironguts tore bloody swathes of death through the Swordsmen, then when the men turned to flee, finished them off in an even more bloody manner. But while this was going on, his Bruiser and companion in battle for years, Thaddeus, was overwhelmed by Pirazzo’s battle hardened mercenaries and succumbed to their blades as he staggered back in confusion. The Bruiser’s huge body crashed to the ground.

Upon the other side of the field Captain Luitpold decided that the best course of action was to leave his Lancers to charge the Knights of the Green Cross single-handed. This way they could continue their advance to threaten the Sollanders’ foot soldiers (still mustered in strength, even if tardy in their advance), while hopefully showing the Light Horse that he too was willing and brave enough to go against the odds. As he began his charge, the Light Horse decided they would not have him do so alone, and joined him to once again face the very same foe that had already so badly mauled them!

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle24.jpg)

Luipold’s fight was hard, as he himself was wounded in his combat with the enemy champion, yet once again the goddess Myrmidia was with the Black Company Riders for they brought down another of the caparisoned northerners. Defiantly, Luipold and the last of the Light Horse stood their ground, and fought on.

A little of the same spirit of defiance was now shown by the fleeing Pikemen, who stopped before the army’s baggage, turned to look upon the field once more, and reformed their ranks and files. They too would try again. With rather more confidence, Don Matthias finally saw fit to commit himself and his Lancers to the fray, and charged into the flank of the detachment of Swordsmen threatening the guns. Of course the poor men of the forlorn hope had not a chance against such an attack and were soundly thrashed. The Lancers’ momentum was such that when they pursued they found themselves running right through their own Pike regiment and out the other side!

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle28.jpg)

Apart from the mortar crew, who entirely missed with their next shot, the rest of the Black Company’s gunners were beginning to get a good feel for the field. One cannon ball, aiming for the very centre of a detachment, went a little too far and yet was not wasted, for it tore the enemy Wizard in half as well as the Greatswordsman behind him. But the best was yet to come, for two of the light cannon crews chose once again to train their pieces upon the Griffon mounted Baron. Of the two, one ball neatly found its mark, and ripped right through the monster’s throat to kill it instantly. Uryens was thus dashed to the ground. Such was his discomfort that the world about him seemed blurred, and his dizzy head spun from the impact of the fall.

(Author’s note – What a fine excuse for using one of the (many) pictures that went wrong!)
(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle29a.jpg)

Once he had regained his bearings, Uryens threw himself furiously at the Black Rider still fighting his knights. His blade went deep, through both rider and horse, felling both. At the same time, Captain Luitpold slew the champion locked in combat with him. But now his courage failed him, for he was surrounded, and Uryens bore  upon him, so he turned his horse to flee, perhaps to rejoin his Lancers? This was not to be, for the knights dragged him down and stabbed with their lances as their destriers trampled over him. Within a moment his life had been battered and bashed away.

As the Leadbelchers calmly reloaded and the Gnoblars turned to face Pirazzo’s men, Agrobog turned his Ironguts to face the rallied regiment of Pikes. He knew that this time it would be them delivering the charge, but he cared not, for they had fled the first time they had faced him and he seriousy doubted their hearts were in it now.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle25.jpg)

The Greatswords, reeling from the Wizard’s multiple misfortunes and the Hellblaster’s nearby explosion, now began to advance properly. Ahead they could see the enemy Pikemen, and even managed a cheer as they saw a cannon ball at last bounce through them, felling the entire file in its path. They were not the only Black Company men to fall to bullets, as between them the surviving Sollander Handgunners took down one of the Don’s elite Caricare Lancers.

The other Lancers now committed themselves, charging at the Handgunners before them, dispatching them with barely a thought, and then crashing onwards to smash into the Halberdier regiment beyond.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle27.jpg)

The Don would also have charged, for he saw his chance to strike at Agrabog himself, but he could not encourage his men sufficiently, and the entire unit balked at the prospect of charging such a fearful foe. Not so the recently rallied Pikemen, who now considered that to regain their honour and save their reputation, they must charge even against such foes. And charge they did, though the consequences were more terrible than they could have imagined: while they could only injure one of the brutes, not even toppling him, the Tyrant and Ironguts hacked merrily away until nine of them lay dead. Once again they fled, though Agrabog saw the danger of pursuing and becoming engulfed in foes, and managed to restrain his ferocious warriors so that they only went forwards a few steps.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle26.jpg)

Cannons blazed and grenadoes burst felling even more of the poor Greatswords, while the Don’s wizards concentrated on weakening the enemy Priests’ prayers. Pirazzo’s men made short work of defeating and killing the two Leadbelchers before them, and that after receiving their blasts full on!

It was becoming clear that the battle was to be a victory for neither side. Upon both sides the powder was running short, and the will to fight was waning. The warriors were either exhausted, shattered or demoralised. The gunners’ ears were ringing, and the drumbeats were losing their stridency. Yet even so the Greatswords finally delivered a charge with what few of them where left – hitting the flank of the Pikemen before them. A detachment of Free Company saw their chance too and charged the flank of the knights engaging their parent unit to the fore. Agrabog now decided to throw any caution to the wind and ordered a charge against the fleeing Pikemen, but neither he nor his Ironguts could reach.

While the Bulls and the Butcher leading them actually fell back away from the foe, and the Gnoblars turned to throw what sharp stuff they had left at Pirazzo’s in desperation, Baron Uryens de Crux now fully realised the folly of his situation. He was alone, on foot, and only yards away from the spot that cannon balls had killed his mount. He could see gunners and Crossbowmen all facing his way, and he knew full well what they would do. These men of the Black Company had no honour in them, only viciousness and greed. These were the men who had made a sport of decorating a road with the heads of their slaughtered foes. In a moment of sudden clarity, which washed away the fury that had gripped him until then, the noble Baron turned and fled as fast as his legs could take him towards his rearmost soldiers.

As he ran, the fighting stuttered - the last efforts of men dog tired and ready to call it a day. Pikemen struggled with Greatswords, Knights hacked at Halberdiers, and men kept falling, but no-one ran. The mortar’s barrel broke and sent splinters into the crewmen around it. The other gunners stood silent, stunned by what they had seen.

Darkness was falling, and both sides knew that to fight on would mean destruction for all. The Ogres were mercenaries, as were many of the men upon the field, and none could see the sense in mutual destruction. Uryens had fled to the rear to avoid bullets and bolts, and he called his men to muster about him.

Nevertheless, the Don wheeled his knights around to face the rear of Agrabog’s Ironguts, whilst the Paymaster’s Bodyguard stood their ground to the side of the same brutes.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/MortBattle29.jpg)

(End of Turn 6. Game over. Draw. Black Company only 187 VP ahead of the Sollanders.)

Agrabog knew full well the disadvantage he was at, and so suddenly, cunningly he and his men dashed through the wagons of the baggage – not stopping to loot them, but to overturn them and prevent any of the men following. Within minutes he and his veteran Ironguts were back with the Bulls off on the flank, panting hard as they attempted to get their breath back. None of the Bulls laughed.

Dark clouds made the night come all the quicker, then rainfall further obscured the field, as well as dampening what little powder there was left. One by one the fighting regiments began to fall back from each other, no-one willing to fight on, to force the foe, to press for an advantage. Bedraggled lines began marching away from the field, while small units of rearguard sullenly watched the enemy to keep an eye out for tricks.

Agrabog bellowed for his surviving men to join him. Uryens found his tent and issued a summons to his officers. Don Matthias said a quick prayer for Luitpold, and then rode at the head of his knights, looking for all intents and purposes as if he were riding to a fight and not from one. He wasn’t fooling anyone.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 12, 2009, 09:01:49 PM
So, both sides duelly wounded.  De Crux and Agrabog still alive, and only Luitpold not on the other side, but both armies battered a bit.

Any number of scenarios could play out from here ... :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

Uryens and Padre ...  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 12, 2009, 09:08:04 PM
Aftermath of the battle

Don Matthias, Ninth King of Karoly walked his horse slowly along the track, followed by his battered army. The battle had indeed been bloody, hundreds dead on both sides, yet the Don was not thinking of the humanity of it all, his thoughts were on the lost supplies, the lost artillery pieces and the lost ground. He seethed with anger, none of the Caricare lancers around him said a word, for none wished to incur their king's wrath.

The rain continued to fall, as it had done throughout the last two days, turning fields and normally dusty roads into seas of mud. Matthias' foot soldiers trudged through the knee-deep sludge, their black armour stained with the stuff, their spirits stained also.

Paymaster Atobello had tried to raise the men's spirits by proclaiming the battle a victory, though he was fooling none, the Army was falling back to Domzale, where they had started the campaign just two months ago The beloved Captain Luitpold had been slain by the enemy general; the men took this hard, he was well liked, even among the common soldiery - to Matthias he was the loss of an excellent cavalry commander.

The entire line was silent, all you could hear was the sound of horses and the pouring rain, the groan of the wounded in the butcher's carts and the soft sound of boots and hooves squelching into mud.

Uryens, Padre, what can I say, a well-fought battle, looks like neither side gave an inch! In terms of the campaign, the sollanders have much much more units in reserve, so the Don is retreating back.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 13, 2009, 02:30:44 AM
Lars and his pistoliers managed to avoid further detection by neither the Black Company Lancers nor the Bretonnians.  After the conversation ended between the lancers' commander and the Bretonnian noble, the lancers rode north and the Bretonnians remained where they were.  Lars and his pistoliers stayed only until night fall, rode north themselves under the cover of darkness, and found the same broad place in the river where the water shallowed out enough to make a crossing, and then bedded down till for the rest of the evening.  In the morning, they spent a day moving further in the direction of where Baron de Crux's camp was located, and the following day they came to their first battlefield.

"Looks like we missed another fight."

"Yes, Theo, but it doesn't look pretty," replied Aldo.

Lars and the rest remained silent as they began the trek through the maze of carnage.  There were dead soldiers, dead horses, dead ogres, broken weapons mixed with whole ones, arrows and bolts, pikes and handguns, swords and halberds, and even pieces of an Imperial volley gun that wouldn't be seeing another battle either.  There were also various men, including a priest of Morr, moving amoungst the mess and tending to the burial of the deceased.

By the time the pistoliers had made it across to the other side, Lars had already ascertained the whereabouts of the Army of Solland, and he led his men in that direction, ""Ok, gentlemen, enough of this.  Lets find the Baron de Crux and let him know of us seeing those Black Lancers meeting with the Bretonnians."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 13, 2009, 07:50:30 AM
After the battle

Uryens sat in his tent and brooded. He had enough men in the field to swallow up the accursed Black Company of Domzale. But it was not to be, not on this field.

He sat and cursed his ill fortune both his unskilled wizard that had brought low so many of his oldest veterans, men  he had known for nigh on twenty years some of them, and he cursed the gunners, the powder makers and the barrel makers that had forged his hellblaster barells.

But then they were the fortunes of war, he knew that, and had seen such things a score of times before.

Still, on the plus side, he had pursuaded Agrabod to pursue Don Mathius all teh way to Domzale, promising Agrabod he could have whatever loot and sport he wanted from the town, as no one would be there to stop him, the Tyrant, eager for more bloodshed readily agreed.

That would leave Uryens to leave a garrison in Mortensholm to guard and rebuild the town as he travelled back north with the bulk of the Army of Solland, summer would soon be upon them, and that would surely mean the Wissenlanders would march against them...


(This was a hard fought, epic battle that took a good few hours of play, about 9 I think! Still it was brilliant fun and definatley I would reccomend large battles! If only I hadnt had such terrible dice on the day, I think if it could misfire or rolling a 1 would be disasterous, thats just what happend!Ho hum, thats the nature of the game though)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 14, 2009, 05:03:34 AM
As promised, here are the various named members of the Dawnstriders that are likely to see battle, and my for-fun stats and specials:

Averrob

M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T4 W3 I3 A1 Ld7

Equipment: Averrob's Gnobbly Staff (treat as the Grey Wand and Rod of Power), Dispel Scroll, Hand Weapon (the Staff).

Averrob is a level 4 wizard; he may only choose spells from the Lore of Fire.  He counts as a Lord choice.

Special Rules

"Out of my way, I'm drunk as hell!": Averrob is one of the finest mages in the Old World...when he's sober.  This is never the case in battle.  At the beginning of each of your magic phases, roll 1d6.  On a roll of 2-5, Averrob is drunk but otherwise functions normally.  On a roll of 1, Averrob is excessively drunk.  He suffers from Stupidity until the beginning of your next magic phase, and does not generate Power Dice or Dispel Dice.  On a roll of 6, Averrob experiences a "moment of clarity" and casts his first spell with Irresistable Force!

Casting Under the Influence: Whenever Averrob miscasts, there is a chance that it is the targeting, not the spell casting, that went awry.  Roll 1d6; on a 3+, the spell miscasts as normal.  On a 1-2, Averrob cast the spell successfully, but accidentally targeted the nearest friendly unit.  The spell functions normally and affects or is centered on the nearest friendly unit, as appropriate.

"Well, if the damn world would stop moving...": After you finish deploying your forces but before either player takes a turn, Averrob will stumble drunkenly about.  Roll a scatter die and artillery die; Averrob moves in the direction indicated a number of inches equal to half the artillery die.  If he is in a unit, it may move with him or let him wander away.  If the move ends him in a new friendly unit and he is alone, he immediately joins the new unit (if for some reason he cannot because of rules, he is placed 1" beyond the unit on the opposite side of where he entered).  If he ends the move atop a friendly unit and is still in his own unit, his unit is displaced 1" beyond the unit on the opposite side.  If this also lands him in a friendly unit, in either case, repeat as necessary until he stops wandering.  If somehow he ends this move atop an enemy unit, he is treated as having charged the enemy unit.

"Oi, Watch Out Boss!": Gelnar, Averrob's wretched pet/slave goblin, may be a craven and untrustworthy little coward, but he's no fool.  He knows "da uvver humies" would kill him if Averrob were no longer around to protect him, and he takes great pains to shreak and scream at Averrob whenever something dangerous is on its way.  Averrob may always benefit from the "Look Out, Sir!" rules, even if he is alone or his unit is too small.  If Averrob is in a situation where he would not ordinarily be allowed to use "Look Out, Sir!" and does, no other model takes the wound in his place, he merely avoids it thanks to Gelnar getting him to stumble or duck away just in time.

Points: 375 (210 base + 95 items + 70 special rules).

Brimcon

M4 WS3 BS4 S3 T3 W2 I3 A1 Ld7

Equipment: Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Repeator Pistol, Hochland Long Rifle, Grenade launching blunderbuss.  Brimcon may be deployed with his personal Steam Tank, the Emerald Wind (+300 points).  If he does this, he also takes up a Rare slot.  Brimcon may not leave the Emerald Wind if he takes it with him, and may not be deployed with any other steam tank.

Brimcon is a Hero choice.

Special Rules

Master of Ballistics: As normal.  If Brimcon is deployed with his steam tank, he may use this ability when firing the tank's gunpowder cannon.

Extra Crewman: As normal.

"Hmm, that doesn't sound right.": Brimcon built his tank himself, and knows it better than most engineers will ever know a tank.  When attempting to generate steam points, if Brimcon's d6 roll would result in the tank taking wounds he may reroll the attempt.  If he does this, he may not also use his Master of Ballistics ability that turn on the tank's cannon; he is too busy preventing a catastrophic steam buildup to bother with it.

Points (without tank): 150 (107 base + gear, 43 special rules)

Arathos, the Dawnbringer

M4 WS6 BS4 S4 T4 W3 I5 A4 Ld9

Equipment: Barded Warhorse, Shield, Full Plate Armor, Pistol.  Sword of the Dawn's Rage:This Sword has been with the General since he arrived mysteriously with the other Seven Strangers.  No one knows where he found or claimed it, but it is a weapon of some might.(Bound spell, Power Level 3.  The sword casts the Burning Head spell from the Lore of Fire.  The wielder can also reroll failed rolls to wound), Cloak of the Chosen Champion: Some say the General took this cloak from a chaos champion; others that he found it in the treasure hoard of an ancient dragon.  While the truth is not known, what is known is that the General seems to be blessed with otherworldly protection when wearing it (same rules as the Shroud of Magnus).

Arathos is a Lord Choice.

Special Rules

Veteran Leader: Arathos is a calm, determined veteran who does not lose his head amongst fearsome foes.  He is Immune to Psychology, as is any unit he joins.

Silver Tongue: Arathos is an excellent orator, and can inspire his men before battle.  At the start of battle, nominate one unit and make a Leadership test at the unit's leadership.  If the test is passed, Arathos has inspired the men and they are Stubborn.

Points: 340 (145 base, 100 magic items, 10 points equipment, 85 specials and stat adjustments)

Most of the remaining characters are just regular Heroes and Lords, still tweaking some special rules for them and their costs to try and ensure that if they are fielded (which I wouldn't mind if this campaign goes on), they're balanced as much as possible.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 14, 2009, 12:52:16 PM
Mortensholm, Late Spring IC2524

Uryens sat in the war room of the Mortensholm keep, looking over maps, troop dispositions, supply numbers and the lists of the dead.

Damn this Don Mathius, damn him a thousand times, why now, why here? The battle had been tactically indecisive, it had cost both sides too deeply, but at least Uryens had driven the bandit lord back to his own town, and set the Orgres on a path directly away from him, but now he had to leave troops here, precious troops that would be better served north of Wusterburg in the next months, cannon too, and food, money, materiel.

Uryens cursed Mathius again. Then remembered the rotting line of heads on pikes, the tales the survivors had told and he clenched his jaw. No, it was worth it to stop a butcher like that. It was worth spending deeper too.

Uryens reached for a pen and quill, and began to write orders, troop movements and a proclomation...
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 14, 2009, 01:00:19 PM
Mortensholm, Late Spring IC2524

Uryens sat in the war room of the Mortensholm keep, looking over maps, troop dispositions, supply numbers and the lists of the dead.

Damn this Don Mathius, damn him a thousand times, why now, why here? The battle had been tactically indecisive, it had cost both sides too deeply, but at least Uryens had driven the bandit lord back to his own town, and set the Orgres on a path directly away from him, but now he had to leave troops here, precious troops that would be better served north of Wusterburg in the next months, cannon too, and food, money, materiel.

Uryens cursed Mathius again. Then remembered the rotting line of heads on pikes, the tales the survivors had told and he clenched his jaw. No, it was worth it to stop a butcher like that. It was worth spending deeper too.

Uryens reached for a pen and quill, and began to write orders, troop movements and a proclomation...

A knock was heard on the door just as Uyrens began working on his orders.  He was a bit annoyed, certainly; trying to figure out how he would balance the needs of the Solland effort with styming further attacks by this robber baron of a king was difficult, and it was frustrating to be intruded upon so early in his efforts.  The messenger entered after Uryens called him in, and he was handed a sealed missive.  He could spot the two huntsmen he and Nathaniel had spoken to in Solland just outside the door.  As he broke the wax on the seal, he wondered what reply this General had given him.

"To his Lordship, Uyrens de Crux:

Greetings, and thank you for your kindness in treating my messengers well and ensuring their safety through the mountains.  I am willing to aid in your effort to rebuild and reclaim the province of Solland.  I have soldiers that I can contribute to the cause, mercenaries from Estalia that are both disciplined and skilled in the arts of war.  I can also ensure that your worries about further brigandry in the Borders are assuaged, by keeping said brigands in check.  My army, the Dawnstrider Legion, exists purely to protect the towns of the Border Princes from random attack and conquest, and I would be happy to help defend the towns and cities you feel are crucial to your war effort.  I shall be in Moslac by the time you read this; if you can force Don Matthias' army south towards Domzale, I should be able to meet you in Mortensholm within the week.  If you wish to meet sooner, ride at once to meet me in Moslac and we can discuss what must be done that much sooner.  I thank your Lordship for your time in reading this, as I understand the urgency of your greater duties.

-General Arathos the Dawnbringer"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 14, 2009, 01:33:52 PM
Mortensholm, Late Spring IC2524

Uryens read the letter with interest, this was an interesting possibility, Dawnstrider Legion did spark off memories in Uryens, and from what they told him it was honourable enough.

Certainly it might be worth investigating further, especially if it freed up his troops later...but not to be too rash.

Uryens put aside the new troop dispositions he had been drafting and began a reply to General Arathos...
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 14, 2009, 01:39:20 PM
In the forest north-west of Domzale

Matthias was awoken to a messenger announcing his entrance. The Don growled in anger at the change in his sleep pattern, he snapped at the messenger. "What is it now?"

The man was sweating a little under his chain mail coif. "My lord, our scouts have reported Ogres to the south, it looks like they are foraging for food".

The Don looked at the man curiously, the fool had awoken him for this? "Boy, get out of my pavilion!"

"B..but m'lord" the man stuttered/

"OUT!"

The man raced out of the tent in the face of the King's anger. Matthias sat back on his bed, letting his anger dwindle away, everything had been going wrong for him this last week, his men were failing him, he told himself. There had currently been no desertions, but Matthias knew they would come soon. Currently, information about troop movements had been sketchy, the failed but glorious charge of the Light Cavalry had taken most of his scouts.

---

Fields near Domzale

Janus stood up from planting the vines, the sun as beating down on him and his back was drenched in sweat. Through the glaring sun he could make out some sort of wagon train trundling along the road a mile back. The farm hand thought nothing of it, the Don was that way, to the north, he was probably sending wagons for supplies. The war had started to touch the people of Karoly, food was in short supply, the choicest batches going straight to the front. The man strolled along the length of the vines once more, checking the planting of the cuts, the plants were good and Janus felt sure this year's harvest would be excellent, the wine of good quality, to match even the vineyards of Averland!

Janus looked up again, the wagon train looked odd, it had seemed to have spread out, maybe several barrels had fallen off some wagons and were rolling around the fields? Then it dawned on the farmer, this was no wagon train, it was an Army of marauding monsters. The crackle of flames and the screams of farm-hands rose from the fields near the monsters.

Janus ran as fast as he could toward the city, some three miles away.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 14, 2009, 01:55:26 PM
East Bank of the River Trebleca

Frederick was starting to feel better, and was enjoying breakfast with Erberk and Hogjaw.  The dwarf Hogjaw spoke rarely, sang often, and had an odd name, but he was a damned fine cook and that's all that mattered at times like these.  Brimcon was just beyond them, staring into the river.  Erberk belched as he emptied his tankard of ale, refilling promptly.  "Stare all ye like lad, ye can't get it out that way!"  Brimcon sighed and made his way towards the table.
     "I think it's stuck on a high spot in the river bed, nice and solid.  That will make getting it out easier; we won't have to free it from silt or mud, just-" Erberk interrupted him by thumping his tankard on the table loudly.
     "Dammit lad, stop fretting over that shoddy bit 'o steel work fer one damned day, and eat yer breakfast!"  Brimcon sat down as Hogjaw handed him a plate.  Erberk ripped off a hunk of bread, and continued his grumbling rant.  "Bah, can nae appreciate a good meal when ye got one.  It's not often enough ye lot get to experience proper dwarven cooking, ye best be grateful and enjoy it."
     "The General should be close, I think," Frederick mused aloud, trying to change the subject.  "Any sign of him from our sentries?"
     "Not yet," Brim answered.  "We find out what happened to that missing Estalian, and the guard?"
     "Captured, most likely."  Frederick tried not to think about what the Black Company was doing to the poor boy.  "A few of our gunners said they saw a boat heading back towards their side of the river."
     "He'll be fine."  Erberk finished his tankard, and wiped his mouth.  "Good stout lads we have here, the lot of 'em.  Well, stout enough fer manlings anyway."  As the others nodded in agreement, a soldier made his way to the table.  He offered a salute, which Frederick dismissed.  Erberk glanced up, and swallowed the mouthful of food he was chewing before he spoke.  "Well, out with it boy!"
     "Sir, the General is approaching from the East with the greatswords, a unit of cavalry, and a unit of halberdiers."
     "We don't have any full regiments of halberdiers, and the detachments are all accounted for."  Brimcon looked at him curiously.  "Are you sure about that?"
     "Positive sir; they're in black armor, with our tabards over it.  Also, we spotted a massive force coming towards us from the South; looks to be the main body of the Estalians, and Grandmaster Rheinhardt's forces.  Both should be here by midday, possibly later."  With that, Frederick stood up.
     "Thank you soldier.  If you'll excuse me, I'll be back in a moment."  Frederick made his was as quickly as possible to Donixote's tent to inform him of this occurance.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 14, 2009, 02:31:37 PM
The fields west of Domzale

“Bit enough place, innit?” mused Jublig, not addressing anyone in particular. “Worth an effort, and a good pudding for after a fight. Could ‘ave a lot of loot.”

He could just make out the city walls in the far distance - three, maybe four miles away. The Tyrant Agrabog was looking too, having already given the order for his warriors to form a battle line. He grunted his agreement, then spoke:

“Lots of fields means lots of farmers and lots of food, and that makes for lots of the shiny stuff. But I knew that. Why do you think I dragged you here? You saw their army – that takes a lot of paying for. This Don is rich.”

“Aye,” replied Jublig, “and ‘is army ain’t yet beat. Where are they?”

Agrabog was pulling at the strap that held his iron helmet on his head, pulling it away from the red-raw flesh it had cut deep into. But to him it was merely an itch, and to scratch it helped him think.

“I’m thinkin’ we marched faster, and we came south of where they are. They’ll be skulking in the forest. That’s where they’ll be. An ‘ they’ll be planning to stab us in the back if we move onwards. I’d lay a pile of gold on that city still ‘aving a garrison, enough to keep us right busy while the army proper comes up behind.”

Jublig laughed, “Then they ain’t as cunning as you, eh? You sees what they’re up to.”

“Aye, I do. But we’ve not come here to stop. Tell Hugbor to take his lads forwards and see what they can get. Send the gnoblies with him, and a couple of Leadbelchers. Tell them they ain’t to be quiet, but right noisy. Tear up any huts they find, steal anything good they can carry, and kill what they like. Tell them when they gets close to the city, start burning stuff – fields if there’s nothing else to burn.”

Jublig frowned. “So they gets all the fun?”

Agrabog growled.

“You needs to listen better - yer head-flaps are big enough. I ain’t finished. The rest of us is going back a bit, to that stream we just passed. We’re gonna hide there where the land is low, and wait. Then when the Don man comes out of the trees to attack Hugbor, we’ll see who ends up behind who!”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 14, 2009, 05:15:24 PM
Just South of the Battle between the Army of Solland & Ogres vs. The Black Company, several days later, 2524 IC

From across the other side of the small tributary that had formed the southern border of what was obviously a large battle, Hubert and Mervin crouched low on the top of another one of the many low rolling hills and ridges that could be found in the region.

"Looks like there was a pretty massive battle over there."

"Yes, Mervin.  Although I'm not sure pretty is the best choice of words, and the smell on the breeze doesn't seem any better."

"Well, what are we going to do from here, sir?"

"At this point, with everything south of here, between Prince Herriot's position at Sunderly's Field seemingly clear of troops, I'm not sure there's much else to be done, except to report back to the Prince."

"Where do you think those Black Lancers went?"

"Good question.  Probably depends on whatever the result of this battle was, yet it wouldn't probably be wise to scout into lands that aren't Bretonnian at the moment.  Besides, the Prince will need to be the one who makes that choice, not us.  Which means we stay here, and I'm going to have you go back to the Prince again to let him know what we've found, and see what he wants us to do next.  He might give us further orders, but I suspect he'll be waiting to here from that Bretonnian Princess down there in Matorea."

"You mean in Beauport, Princess du Beaucamp, right sir?"

"Yes, yes, right you are Mervin.  Now let's get down off of this hill and back to our horses and the rest of the men.  Then I want you to head off immediately to inform Prince Herriot of what we have discovered."

"Yes, sir."

The two again, as the practiced scouts that they were, slowly backed off the crest of the hill, before moving more quickly down the side.

- - - - -

Saint Therese (formerly Brasov), Late Spring, Border Princes, 2524 IC

The rather scruffy looking, slightly overweight, Brasovian light horse commander had arrived to make his newest report to Captain Ferdinand Weisefechter.

"De Black Copany has been defeated at Moslac, Capitan."

"And so the Dawnstriders are not in control of the town, Vostov?"

"Yes, Capitan, dat is coorrect."

"And how did things go when escorting Princess du Beaucamp's messenger to Brovska?"

"No probeelems, Capitan.  And he is now already on he's way back to Matorea, sir."

"I see," Ferdinand paused a moment to think.

"What orders de you got for me and my riders now, sir?"

"For now, you need to continue your screening activities to the north, and be our eyes and ears for both of us until I figure out what's next."

"What about de talk of throwing de nobly poofs off our lands that we spoke of before, Capitan?  When can we commence with dat?"

"We are all going to need to be patient.  The time is still not right.  We need more than just my Matorean soldiers, and your Brasovian horses and huntsmen to throw their yoke off our shoulders, and that's going to take time to build, could be a very long time.  For now, we need to continue working with them until we can obtain more sticks to add to our fire.  You let me worry about that, and might I remind you, this needs to be kept between you and I, still not even a word of this to your men, understand, Vostov?"

"Ohhh, Capitan, I am much smarter dan I might look.  Yet de men are restless being underneath de nobly poofs.  Dey don't like serving de nobly poofs, with their noses in de air, Capitan."

"Well, I understand, Vostov.  We are in the same boat as you, and now we need to be certain we don't rock it yet, until we have enough for a takeover.  You know what unsuccessful mutineers are rewarded with don't you?"

"Yes, Capitan, and dat is why I won't be saying a word to de men just yet, sir."

"Good, you and your men have been doing excellent work, and I look forward to hearing your next report from the front line, Vostov.  In the meantime, ride safely, so that you and I are able to see a reward we can both be happy with, ok?"

"Ohh, I will sir, and good day to you."

The Brasovian turned and walked away.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 14, 2009, 09:44:29 PM
A liveried soldier, one of the Barons greatswords, marched to the market cross in the centre of Mortensholm and pinned a proclamation to the pillar.

(http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/Cod13/Wargames/wantedposter.jpg)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 15, 2009, 11:11:11 AM
Mortensholm, Border Princes, IC2524

The next day The Grand Army of Solland was mustered along the north road outside the ruined town, Uryens and his officers on their riding horses, only lightly armed and armoured, the troops arrayed for march, not battle.

A few men would remain, under the command of Captian Joost van Rooyen, to rebuild the town, maintain the local farms and help the locals recover their shattered lives.

The poor Graf Edric was given a covered carriage to ride in, along with some of the wounded men able to travel home.

High above the keep of the town flew two flags, that of Mortensholm and that of the Baron de Crux, the black raven on a red field.

With no fanfare the huge column turned north, outriders protecting the front and flanks and archers protecting the rear, it began the long journey north back to Solland.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 15, 2009, 12:30:48 PM
(http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/Cod13/Wargames/wantedposter.jpg)

Standing nearby, watching as the proclamation was pinned up, were two old Mortensholmers, Abeel and Olav. Both had been among the first to leave the castle when the relief army had come from the north, and since then they'd been doing what they called a 'bit of tidying'.

"Never asked before - never had need to - but do you read?" enquired Olav of Abeel.

"I've been reading since the day I started to learn to read, and reading well since I finished my lessons," replied Abeel.

"I always knew you were a clever one."

The two of them looked at each other. Abeel began to get the feeling that Olav was expecting something to happen, perhaps for him to acknowledge how clever he was.

"Well go on then," demanded Olav, a distinct tone of impatience in his voice. "Read it!"

"Oh!" answered Abeel, "I see what you mean.” He began reading the proclamation.

"Right then. That big word at the top is a really important one, that's why it's at the top. The really important things always go there and the rest are forced to sit underneath them, like the way the head is more important than the rest of the body..."

"Is it?" asked Olav.

"Oh aye, very important is the head, without your head you can't smell, and that's just for starters..."

"No, fool, I meant is that word important?"

Abeel looked confused for a moment.

"Well no, not 'important', that would be a different length of word entirely. It says 'Remard'."

Olav pondered, then spoke.

"Never heard of him. Sounds Bretonnian to me, and I should know, my cousin married a fellow who had the bone of an old Bretonnian stuck in his beard. It was lucky."

"Are going to let me read or what?" asked Abeel. "You asked after a reading and now you're talking bones."

"Go on then."

"Right," said Abeel, using his fingers to open his eyes that little wider. Then looking at the notice he 'read' on:

"Next it says ‘For the bead of Don Mattiuf of Domzale."

"Ha!" exploded Olav. "I knew that fellow would be well off, with fancies like beads and buckles and ribbons and lace. Oh aye, he may have been a bad 'un but he was a proper gentleman, I'll say. Did you see his tent? It was bigger than the Mayor's banquetting barn, and made of the finest coarse linen I've ever seen."

"That's as maybe," says Abeel. "But I'm reading the rest whatever his tent looked like. Besides, you don't even know if that was his tent. Men like him have more than one tent, to confuse assassins."

“I’ll confuse you in a minute. Can’t you just read?”

"So, here's the rest: 'For Mother Pillaye, Rapine, Banditry, Tihuman Mets ..”

“Hold on there,” interrupted Olav. “Who in this world and the next is ‘Mother Pillaye’? And what is ‘Met’ when it’s at home, ‘Tihuman’ or not?”

“Well that’s just not fair,” complained Abeel. “You asked me to read it, not understand it. I’ve never heard of ‘Mother Pillaye’, and never claimed to know her. As for 'Mets', there’s every chance that parts of this are written in the Classical Tongue, which my father wouldn’t pay to have put in my mouth, but which would explain why ‘Mets’ of any kind where mentioned. These men from the north have libraries filled with books, shelf after shelf, and half written in Classical, which has to leave an impression. You can’t expect such men, having read all that, to write only words you’ve heard of!”

“Sorry Abeel, you have me there. I’m no scholar, and you’re no professor and neither should you or I nor anyone else claim either or both those things for either or both …”

“Hush now! I’ve work to do, so I want to finish this before its dark.”

Abeel put his finger on the spot he was up to and read on:

“‘And suspected worship of the Buinous Dowers, By order of Baron Ucyens de Cruy, Baron of Muctterbury, Seneschal of Mortensholm. 5000 Bold Crowns.’”

“That’s a lot of bold Crowns.”

“I should say. I’ve never even seen one!”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 15, 2009, 01:37:33 PM
<boo, terrible, gerroff!>
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 15, 2009, 02:48:24 PM
 :icon_lol:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 16, 2009, 12:15:13 PM
   Donixote sat in his tent, laying down, he was busy fussing with the barber-surgeon who was tending to Donixote's healing wounds. Donixote smiled when Fredrick entered the tent, though over time, when Fredrick told of the forces to come, Donixote could not help but sigh. "Seems I really am going home..."
   Within secounds Doni' began to shout orders for the army to prepare to set out and that the musicians should be ready to receive their lord. The camp was alive, the soldiers had mixed feelings, in their eyes they lost the battle, but they all knew it at heart, they were going home.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 16, 2009, 03:49:13 PM
Moslac, Central Border Princes

Arathos was not happy when he arrived in the town; it was still terribly damaged from the work of the Estalians, and his men (along with the aid of the villagers) had only managed to clean up the corpses and begin minor repairs.  It would be months before the town was properly restored.  He was extremely displeased when he arrived at the bridge.  Frederick stood off to the side while Erberk and Brimcon talked, the captain of the greatswords and another man, in black armor with a halberd and the tabard of the Legion, standing beside him.  Arathos was not the sort of man who got animated or vocal when he was upset, so the fact that he was standing calmly, taking in the news and surveying the scene was unnerving.  Frederick had no idea what was coming.  Arathos walked over to him, and looked him over.  Frederick offered a salute, which was quickly dismissed.  "You're looking well, Under-Marshall."
     "Yes, sir.  Feeling much better, the wounds are healing nicely."
     "Care to explain what happened?"
     "Sir, yes sir."  Frederick took in a deep breath, this was what he had prepared for.  "I went to the Estalian general, and impressed upon him the urgency of our situation, and the need to take the bridge before you returned.  I felt the steam tank should lead the charge, and so smash through the enemy lines as it did at the gates-"
     "You did not think it perilous to send it across the bridge, Under-Marshall?"
     "No sir.  At the time, my belief was that the tank would speed across before the enemy could properly train their guns upon it, and it would lead the way.  Our men hit their lines, and I ordered the infantry to cross in boats, and aid the attack.  We managed to claim the shore and the other side of the bridge and destroy much of their artillery, but their counterattack broke us, and we were forced to flee across the river, sir."
     "Casualties?"
     "Sir, we're still taking the complete tally."  Frederick paused, taking a breath, "we sustained heavy casualties, though we still outnumber the enemy.  The Estalian general is wounded, badly.  He did manage to bring down the enemy officer, so I believe they are without true command.  We may be able-"
     "That is enough, Under-Marshall," Arathos interrupted.  Frederick nodded.  "See to the repairs of the town, and prepare for the Grandmaster's arrival.  I will see to the capture of the bridge, and the defeat of the enemy."  With that, Frederick offered a salute, and left.  Arathos turned to the man in black armor.  "Oberst, bring your halberdiers through town and form them up here, on the bridge."  The man saluted and left.  Arathos made his way to the bridge, the halberdiers (formerly of the Black Company) falling into line beside the greatswords, behind the General.  Arathos called out to the sentries who watched him.  "Soldiers of Karoly, men of the Black Company!  I have given your comrades in arms that were in captivity the option to join me, and receive full pay and benefits!  They have taken my offer, and now fight for me!  I now make the same offer to you: join me, and you may keep your signature armor, remain in your own units as one, bring your families to our lands to live in peace, and receive full pay and the proper treatment any of my veterans would be owed!  If any of you refuse, know that we intend to take this bridge, and we will not stop until we have won the day!  Any of you who wish to withdraw to Domzale are likewise free to do so, and we will not fire upon you.  You have until sunset to decide!"  With that he walked towards his infantry, and ordered them to stand patrol, and inform him if any men took the offer.  As before he doubted it, but perhaps these men were mercenaries as well, and would see no issue with fighting for a new patron if the pay was good.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 16, 2009, 10:03:05 PM
    Ricardo easily dismounted his white warhorse with the aid of his servants, dismissing the servants with the flick of his hand, Ricardo looked Donixote over. Donixote could not help but stare at his lord, looking at the near opposite of himself. Ricardo was dressed in fine reds and orange colored clothing underneath heavy thick ornamented armor depicting Estalian horses. Donixote, was in white blood stained padded armor, his condition was horrid and his smell even worse. Ricardo stared at the defeated Donixote, he did not shout or scream, rant or rave, he did not even frown, Ricardo did only one thing. Ricardo smiled, he grinned at his follower, he could not help but notice how Donixote looked like a common peasent.
    "Donixote, you have failed me, I cannot explain how. . . displeased I am. Take your men, go back to Estalia, live your life in peace or how ever you wish. . . Consider this your last day as an Elite of our Society, enjoy your new status in life. . . Enjoy the rest of your afternoon."
    With that, Ricardo walked past the ragtag group of Estalian officers only to join his finely dressed and heavily armored officers, leaving the smirking Donixote behind. Donixote could not help but laugh, it was all Ironic to him, he didn't want to come here in the first place. His men were filled with the idea of riches and gold, glory and conquest, even Doni' was starting to think it might come true. Instead Donixote lost his best friend, his army, his reputation, and now his status in society, Donixote grinned knowing he is going home as an equal to his men. He knew one thing, Diego would smile at this, this is how he would of wanted it, the officer right in the thick of the men, it was fitting.


                                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The Estalian army set up camp outside the town of Moslac, giving the town itself to the Dawnstriders. Ricardo had yet to meet Arathos, telling his messengers to always delay the meeting until he deemed it proper. In Truth, Ricardo did not want to meet Arathos for he could not decide what to put on, he could not come to a conclusion on what suit of armor or what noble garb would impress the man the most. Ricardo laughed, thinking it to be the style of a woman to complain about what they were going to dress themselves in. In the end he choose his most expensive suite of armor, a finely decorative uniform, it was all in the classic Estalian conquistador style with one exception, it was all red. After finally dressing in his best, Ricardo dictated his orders, summon Arathos, prepare the guard and dress them in their best, prepare the best foods possable, and bring in the Arabic musicians. Ricardo wanted to put on an impression, he wanted to look as if all the world was in his hands when in fact, it was the opposite in reality.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 16, 2009, 11:38:38 PM
West Side of the River Trebleca

Hearing the leader of the enemy shout his terms, many of the Black Company men were in a state of confusion. Never before had they been in a war where the enemy would simply hire them instead, even in Tilea. The Lieutenant was staunchly opposed to the idea of joining them, but a lot of the men were in favour of the offer.

The officer gave the men their own choice, seeing as this was a hopeless battle. The Lieutenant and roughly a quarter of the men decided to fight on, another quarter decided to go home, most of these men had families back in Domzale they were worrying about. However, a full half of the defenders, some hundred men elected to turn to the enemy.

The loyal men set about building a defensive position off to the side of the road, on a small, steep hill. The remaining two cannons were set up there, with powder and ammunition for two shots each. The crossbowmen were down to ten flights each and many had stripped the dead of weapons and armour for when their ammunition ran out and they would be forced to fight with the footmen.

The turncoats assembled on the devastated bit of road near the bridge and awaited the enemy to wave them across.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 17, 2009, 03:01:52 PM
Moslac, Town Hall.

"And so, Herr Luitpold, you see we can come to a most agreeable stance on this."  Arathos paced around the table as the dazed elder of Moslac sat, nodding.
     "Let me see if I understand this, General.  We would retain our autonomy, our freedom to rule ourselves, and you would defend us with, if need be, the entirety of your army, whenever we need you?  And in return, you want a portion of our crops and revenue as taxes, and our enlisted men are to be yours?  You ask no control over our laws or governance?"
     "That is correct.  While I do expect you to be reasonable and listen to my suggestions in trade and diplomacy, you are ultimately free to make your own decisions.  I will remind you that the Protectorate thrives when all the towns work as one, and my advice is generally always followed, for having no town to call my own I am generally considered impartial and best able to find the solution that benefits us all."  Arathos took a seat across from the elder, who eyed him suspiciously.
     "What assurances do I have you aren't going to simply overthrow me when it suits you, or leave us defenseless and steal our soldiers and supplies for yourself?"
     "Because I could right now far easier than any time in the future.  I don't need your approval, Herr Luitpold.  If I really wanted this town I could execute you and declare myself ruler without a fuss.  Likewise, if I wanted this town a desolate ruin, I could march off with the plunder and leave you all to rot in the summer sun."  The graf blinked; such a bold answer was unexpected, but cruelly honest.  He had no power in these negotiations, but the General would not twist his arm.  Arathos went on to explain the nature of the Protectorate, as he called the various towns and hamlets under his care.  They worked together for their mutual prosperity, and he would likewise be expected to work out mutually favorably trade agreements and cooperate with the other elders, and would be allowed to retain control over his town and its laws.  In exchange, the Dawnstriders received men, supplies, and money from the towns.  This pool of resources allowed each settlement access to an army far greater than it could ever hope to summon and maintain on its own, and thus ensured that each town was given a greater chance of surviving and fending off brigands and marauders.  He only wished he knew of the perks of being a member of the Protectorate when Thomas Vitec came and took control of the town.  He nodded, and reached for the quill on the table.
     "We have an agreement, Herr General.  Moslac will be part of your Protectorate, and her soldiers yours."  Arathos smiled, and handed the signed agreement to Maialen.
     "We're going to take the bridge today; take this tommorow to Mortensholm and secure the agreement of the Baron, if you don't mind."  She nodded, and left.  As she exited the room a messenger arrived, and saluted.
     "General, the Estalian leader Ricardo has summoned you to his tent to discuss the terms of their employment and duties."  Arathos nodded, dismissing the salute and left the town hall to find Ricardo, and meet with him.  On his way over, Brim ran over from near the river.
     "General, General!" he panted, his face excited.
     "What is it, Brim?  What's going on?"
     "Hasn't anyone told you?"
     "About...?"
     "The men, across the bridge!  A good hundred soldiers have switched sides, and half of what was remaining marched home!  There can't be more than fifty left to our thousands!"  Arathos smiled; it would still be tough to take the bridge, for those 50 held a good defensive position, but he knew now they would win the day.  It was not long before he arrived at the Estalian's camp with Kelyddon, Eathelyn, and Rheinhardt in tow, and was beckoned in to Ricardo's pavillion.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 17, 2009, 09:55:31 PM
   Ricardo's tent was a large commander's tent, easily able to fit a small hall in. Around the tent were closed chests, boxes and other devices used to transport Ricardo's belongings, each strewn about without care. In the far back of the tent was Ricardo's bed, which seemed quite lavished and currently occupied by what seemed to be a sleeping pair of local girls. In the center of the tent was a large table filled with food and gold goblets, at the head of the long table (sitting upon a large chair) sat Ricardo dressed in his best. Surrounding their lord, was a host of Officers and guards, all sitting down on stools, each dressed just as royally as their leader. It was nearly comical, to see what looked to be boys and old men playing the rolls of soldiers in these massive, ornate suits of armor, each gibbering away in Estalian. Not a single Arab sat at the table, instead what Arabs were in the tent were playing some alien music, music not commonly played in the Border Princes. In the tent as well, were the officer's wives and mistresses, each laying about on the cushions and rugs placed about on the floor. When one looked at it, from a distance, it was an odd site, an Estalian war camp filled with rugged dirty men, but in the center was a number of officers eating and joking in what almost seemed to be an Arabic pleasure tent.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 20, 2009, 04:57:02 PM
Ricardo's Command Tent, outside the city of Moslac

The four of them walked towards the table where Ricardo sat with his officers.  They were still in their battle armor and tabards, nowhere near as ostentatiously dressed as the Estalian.  He was beginning to wonder about these Estalians; they seemed almost crude in their lust for wine and women, but he preferred them to the money-hoarding Tileans, which in turn he greatly preferred over the haughty, condescending, arrogant, and cruel lords of Bretonnia.  So, in the grand scheme, these folk weren't so bad, and he seemed pleasant and calm as he made his way to the table.  He nodded politely to Ricardo and took a seat, the three soldiers with him opting to stand behind him.  "Quite a lovely pavillion you have here, I'm sorry, I've not been told if there is a title by which I should properly address you?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 20, 2009, 10:56:32 PM
   Ricardo smiled, he did not understand what the man said, but those officers surrounding him, quickly gave the translation. One of the posh looking officers, turned to Arathos and spoke slowly, trying to hide his accent. "Yes. . . Call him Senor Ricardo. . . He holds only the titles of Cantabarria, a northern province. Other then that, call him what you wish. We shall handle the translations and flatteries. . ."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 21, 2009, 05:30:55 PM
Domzale, Border Princes IC 2524

The Ogres numbered in their hundreds, wickedly sharp weapons raised in victory and defiance at the destruction they had caused upon the Army retreating to the town. Las sat in a tree a mile from the Ogre horde, his father had told him to stay there a number of hours ago, and the boy was going to do so. From his vantage point, he had seen the battle. Don Matthias and his army had marched slowly along the Khyprian Road, cavalry at the fore, infantry in the middle and the artillery train to the rear with the baggage.

The Ogres had erupted from the woods to the side of the broad, ancient, stone road and leapt upon the stunned soldiers. Hundreds had died in the first few minutes as ordered pike blocks were destroyed by berserking Ogre warriors. The Don had lead a counter-charge against the ambush, but was unable to save the artillery and a vast majority of the infantry, Ogre re-enforcements had attacked the rear of the cavalry, causing them to flee with many of the horses with both infantryman and cavalryman upon them.

Half of the Ogres had then harried the fleeing Black Company east of Domzale, the Ogres encircling the town completely. Las had seen them loot the stolen baggage of the Black Company and start pillaging the hamlets and farms outside the protective safety of the walls.

The Ogres had then constructed a massive battering from four whole trees lashed together and carried by twelve heavily armoured warriors. Before the ram reached the gates, however, the massive oak barrier had been pulled open, a deputation from the city coming out to the Ogres. Before a word could be said, however, the Barbarian Ogres had stormed into the town, cutting down the deputation, regarless of their white flag. Las had heard screams and seen smoke come from the town for some hours now and it scared him. He wanted his father.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 21, 2009, 05:46:36 PM
Estalian Command Tent

Arathos nodded.  "At any rate, Senor Ricardo, I appreciate the efforts of your soldiers under Donixote; they were crucial to the swift capture of this town, and the capture of an enemy nobleman.  I paid a chest of gold to your man to secure your initial services, and now I wish to discuss what it will cost to have your men help me take Vidovdan, a town north of here.  After that, I have already arranged work for you in the Empire, if you are interested.  There are some wealthy men looking for all the soldiers they can lay their hands on, and I can easily send you from here to the battlefields of the Empire, where glory and gold await in equal measure under the banner of Solland."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 22, 2009, 02:22:44 AM
    Ricardo nodded to his translator, he enjoyed what the man had said. The Translator was a posh noble, he looked different then the rest for he had on puffy red clothing rather then thick ornate armor. Ricardo grinned to the odd man before turning to Arathos, Ricardo spoke in very broken Riekspiel. "Very good, I agree to eh... -" Ricardo quickly cut himself off, turning to his translator, firing off a sentence in Estalian. The two spoke a few seconds before the translator finally turned to Arathos. "We will gladly accept a small chest of gold for every town we take in your name. . . as long as we get the rights of the victor. Prisoners, slaves, Gold, supplies, and other such goods. It is all. . . Negotiable. . . Please, let us talk in private and come up with an agreement. . . My Lord does not wish to be troubled by such minor matters. As he put it, as long as the gold ends up in his hands."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 22, 2009, 04:44:46 AM
Estalian Command Tent

The mention of victor's rights particularly bothered Arathos, especially mention of slaves.  He could not, in good conscience, allow innocent villagers to be carried off to Estalia in slavery, simply because the marauding invaders of Karoly had taken their homes!  He would have to pay extra to sate their thirst for wealth, and he intended to shunt them off to the Baron as soon as he could.  He nodded to the translator.  "Very well; I cannot guarantee what you will get at this time, but I assure you that you will be paid, and, as you said, he will run his fingers through chests of gold before this is through.  So, if this business is to be attended to later, what shall we discuss or tend to now?"  The faint sound of gunfire in the distance could be heard, but Arathos waved away any glances of concern that the lesser nobles displayed; to the more veteran warriors, such as Ricardo and himself, it was clear the artillery fire was coming from their camps, rather than across the river.

West Bank of the River Trebleca

"They're not budging," Frederick sighed, noticing that fifty men still held out across the bridge.  The hundred or so turncoats were now intermingling with the other Black Company men that had agreed to become Dawnstriders, and catching up on what they'd missed.  Brimcon walked over to him a moment later, Erberk tromping alongside in his gromril armor, a stout hammer on his back.  Frederick saluted, and looked down to Erberk as it was dismissed.  "Orders, Marshal?"
     "We're to take the bridge; form up with yer knights, what's left of 'em."  Frederick blinked as Brimcon directed the cannons and mortars from the artillery train into place; the Estalian guns, along with Donixote's soldiers, had been pulled back to Ricardo's camp for reorganization.  "I'll be leadin' the charge with the infantry; you, some of the gunners and spears, and these here troops in black are to hold this side of the bridge while we take the other side."
     "That's a lot of troops to send over, Marshal."
     "No mistakes this time, lad.  We'll send a few cannonballs and shells their way, let 'em know we mean business, then storm over and overwhelm them.  General wants prisoners, alive.  If ye get any fleein' yer way, take them alive."  Frederick nodded, and as Brimcon adjusted the angle of one of the great cannons he walked to his men and ordered them onto their horses.  By the time they had formed up and returned to the bridge, a regiment of spearmen had formed alongside the black halberdiers, handgunner detachments flanking both regiments.  His cavalry passed through them to the front, the three units behind the rest of the Dawnstrider infantry.  There would be no business with boats this time, just a fast march through and a charge.  Erberk hoped they were running low on ammunition; they would be very vulnerable to missile fire as they made their approach.  Erberk tromped to the front of the men, and bellowed out to the enemy.  "Alright, manlings!  Ye've been worthy foes and more, but ye can nae keep this bridge!  Last chance, any man who lays down arms and leaves will nae be harmed, and any man who lays down arms and comes to our side will be paid in full.  All ye lot who refuse, prepare yerselves for the fight!"  They gave the defenders a few minutes to decide, then Erberk turned around and nodded to Brimcon.  A few seconds later, the cannons thundered a devastating blast and the mortars followed; the second Battle for Trebleca River had begun.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 22, 2009, 03:37:16 PM
West side of the River Trebleca

Lieutenant Lazek coughed and wiped his dirty hand over his brow. His skin was covered in ingrained mud and soot, much like all of the rest of his men, turning their skin pitch. They were truly the Black Company today!

The enemy were marching over the bridge in good order, ten abreast and with standards and banners waving in the morning breeze. There was a gruff cry from the front of their line, but the Officer couldn't make it out. There were thousands of them assembling, even a small contingent of ex-black company were marching with them, Lazek hoped they were not his own men.

The Nightman silently walked up to the Officer, making Lazek jump when he spoke. "Looks like this is it. We won't be able to stop that lot."

"We'll take a few each to walk with us down the grey path" replied Lazek.

The enemy were across the bridge now and walking up the steep road from the bank, still in perfect order. The first few units were walking through the devastated and burned camp of the Karolingians straight towards to hill Lazek's fifty men were standing upon. The two cannons remained quiet, they needed to use the one shot they each had carefully. The same with the crossbowmen, their meagre ration of bolts would not be enough to halt the enemy this time.

The Dawnstrider swordsmen were at the bottom of the hill now, several large units stomping forward to a drum beat, their swords glistening in the dawn sun.

The Lieutenant drew his sword.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 22, 2009, 04:32:09 PM
Erberk raised his hammer, halting the troops.  Frederick and the rear guard of spears and black company halberds halted just at the bridge; they were to hold the bridge and take prisoners.  A few mortar and cannon shells thumped into the ground near the defenders, but actually hitting the small hill was difficult.  Erberk's deep dwarven voice rumbled out his orders.  "Arms, ready!"
     "Arms, ready!" the yell was echoed across the line.  Swords moved into position, the spearmen to the flanks lowering their spears into position.
     "Men, forward....!"
     "Forward...!" the men echoed; the banners, musicians, and commanders moved to the front of their lines, the air silent as Erberk held his hammer aloft.
     "March!"  The drums rolled out a marching beat, the men moving as one towards the enemy.  Erberk marched at the front, sliding the gromril helm he carried under his arm into its place atop his head, fully encasing him in the powerful dwarvish steel.  He unslung the shield from his back, the sound of footsteps tramping in the soil his own drumbeat.  He was ready for war, his expression beneath the helm dour and grim.  The men around him could not see this, however; only his eyes, hard and unwavering, could be spied through the protective metal of the helm.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 22, 2009, 06:25:24 PM
The Karolingian hill. West side of Trebleca

Alphonse the Nightman fired off a couple of shots from his repeater crossbow.
Two men were punched from their feet.

The enemy had stormed up the hill straight at the Black Company position yelling battle cries, a well-armoured dwarf at the fore. The cannons had boomed and the crossbows had sung, the front rank had gone down but their comrades stepped over the bodies and clashed with the tiny Karolingian soldiers. For several seconds the forces were in a state of balance before the second and third enemy ranks added to the tempo, overrunning the defences and putting men to the sword. The Lieutenant had managed to thrust his sabre into the throat of a charging swordsman before being cut down by a myriad of blows.

Alphonse had raced to the rear of the hill, near to the baggage. The remaining Karolingians had formed a shield ring of some twenty men and were slowly getting encircled and swamped by the enemy. The Black Company men fought valiantly but the weight of numbers pressed against them, their shield wall breaking and the remaining men succumbing to killing thrusts. The Nightman could see several enemy officers shouting at their men to cease the killing, but the men's blood lust was up and they carried on butchering the wounded and dying. They had seen their comrades killed in the first battle and now it was time for some payback.

Alphonse checked his quiver, with the short rationing of weapons he only had one bolt left. He scanned the battle looking for a target before spotting the armoured Dwarf at the centre yelling orders from the top of a mound, his hammer raised. The Nightman steadied his aim, sighting the dwarf's masked head with his eye. With click, the bolt sped towards the dwarf, glancing from his helm, causing sparks to fly up before spiralling away into the mud.

The Assassin cursed. The Dwarf was unharmed, just shocked.

The battle was fading away now, the remaining Karolingians being butchered to a man. Alphonse, being so far back was fairly unnoticed except by three heavily armoured foot knights sporting mud spattered Dawnstrider tabards. The lead knight charged at the Nightman, his massive zweihander raised above his head to strike. Alphonse, pulling forth his hunting knife jerkied his arm backwards and then forwards, sending the knife hurtling to the man's throat, plunging into the Knight's flesh underneath his chin strap. The man was catapulted from his feet, sending up a shower of mud.

His comrades came on, Alphonse drawing his short sword leapt to meet them. They were encumbered in their heavy armour against the lightning quick man, yet they were veterans and well-drilled. Alphonse darted forwards with his sword, flashing it into the nearest's thigh, lancing between the plates of armour. Blood spurted from the wound, bright scarlet blood of an artery. The man was left writhing on the floor. The other, his face covered with an Imperial-style helmet swung his broadsword at Alphonse striking the assassin in the shoulder, punching him from his feet, losing his grip on the short sword. The man strode towards the Nightman, his eyes a piercing blue through the eye slits. As the man raised his sword for the killing blow, Alphonse's working hand found a rock beneath him, throwing it upwards at the man's head, clanging against the steel. The Knight staggered back, allowing the Assassin to leap forwards pull the man's knife from his sheath and plunge it deep into his gut. The knight's face was close to Alphonse's, and the Nightman could see the man's eyes staring deep into him.

With a heave, Alphonse jerked the knife, blood spilling from his foe. The Nightman staggered to his crossbow, picking up the weapon before rolling down the hill, ending up in a thicket of brambles unconscious.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 22, 2009, 09:38:24 PM
   The Posh translator grinned at Arathos, he talked and rambled on about every subject under the sun. Truly this man had no care for what Arathos had to say and only cared to hear his own voice. Constantly interrupting Arathos when he tried to chip in his own thoughts. The other officers were nearly the same way, always constantly talking over each other and trying to be heard over the rest. The more and More Arathos watched this, the more he could tell, they were not military men, they were nobles and boys using the military as a political gain, but over all one object seemed to be their intention, Ricardo. They all tried to gain his favor, walking over and whispering things in his ear, giving him a moments chuckle before they vanished back into the sea of rambling officers. As time went on, and the wine flowed more heavily, it became more of a circus with Ricardo as the ring leader.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 23, 2009, 05:14:41 AM
Karolingian Hill

Erberk growled as the bolt bounced off his helm, the archer darting away into the night.  "Shoddy manwork!  Ye think that's enough?!"  He point at a few of the dismounted knights helping the charge.  "What are ye waiting for?  Get him!"  The three tromped off to chase the mysterious archer.  The last few defenders were being mopped up, and Erberk was now busy trying to restrain the soldiers from butchering the wounded and dying.  Of the fifty defenders, barely 10 were taken and all were wounded; he doubted any would survive.  The soldiers guarding the bridge opened up, allowing a pair of riders on horseback to approach from Moslac towards Erberk.  He tromped over, pulling his helm from his head as he peered up.  "Well, where do ye think yer going?"
     "Orders from the General, Erberk.  Nice work, as always."  Maialen smiled down at the dwarf, who chuckled a bit.
     "Praise from an elf, now that's how ye know ye've got a job well done as a dwarf.  Mind ye, not that I needed to be told that!" he grinned as he thrust a warning finger at her.  She nodded back to him.
     "Certainly not, Erberk.  Feldon will be accompanying me to Mortensholm, is there anything I can do for you before I leave?"  Erberk nodded, and motioned to the cavalry still across the bridge.
     "Ye can take some of those pistoliers, a bodyguard regiment.  General will have me head if ye nae come back in one piece."  Maialen nodded, and Feldon rode back across the bridge, returning a few moments later with about twenty pistoliers to travel with them.

Ricardo's Command Tent

Arathos was getting tired of this evening, quickly.  As Ricardo smiled and enjoyed the fawning and endless struggle for his attention, Arathos simply sat at his seat, his remarks having gone from rarely interjected to completely absent.  The three soldiers behind him stood the whole time, none of them adding to the conversation.  Just as it was apparent to both leaders that the Estalian officers were nobles squabbling and bickering for a bit of attention, it was equally apparent that the Dawnstriders were soldiers, with no intention of wasting even their words.  Arathos took care not to seem rude, however.  He never allowed himself to scowl or appeared bored, listening to every ridiculous anecdote or exaggerated account of bravery with a polite smile and a nod of the head.  When the wine began to flow freely, he applauded the bawdy or coarse jokes and songs the Estalians were prone to using, and pretended as though it was all an excellent time.  Ricardo could see past the act, and could tell his employer was growing weary of the games and greatly desired to settle the business and return to war, or at least return to the company of true men and not foppish hangers-on.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 23, 2009, 04:27:29 PM
South of the Town of Aldium, Border Princes IC 2524

Milan Lijec trudged along the forest road, his pike on his shoulder, his Black armour chipped and dirty. His Pike regiment had been lucky, they had gotten away with minimal casualties, yet their morale was shattered. Their capital city had fallen to the barbarous monsters and the imperials had retaken their lost land.

Milan could just make out the Don himself riding his horse at the head of the small, battered army. Their leader had given a rousing speech earlier that day to the assembled men about the need for vengeance and retribution against the barbarians north of the mountains, how they would cross over the mountains and destroy their homes, kill their families and plunder their ill-gotten gold. At the time it had elicited several cheers, but the mood was still bad among the men and several had deserted to find their families.

Milan, being a native to the area had a good idea about the geography, and could see that they were heading for the pass near Vidovdan, Aldium's pass being not an option. Milan was sure the Aldium army could ward them off if they attacked with such a small and demoralised force.

---

Don Matthias pulled off his leather cap and tossed it to his young standard bearer. He was still in a state of shock, the enemy had taken fully half of his kingdom in one fell swoop and a rider had come to him that morning with news of hundreds of his troops surrendering and joining the Eastern Imperials. That left the river crossing open and all hope of holding the enemy at bay.

Along with the shock, his other emotion was something he did not feel very often. All consuming seething rage at the meddlers who had destroyed his dream. He would go to the north, join with the loyal forces and exact bloody revenge on the enemy, be they civilian or soldier.

With a growl, the Don spurred his horse forward, picking up the pace.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 23, 2009, 04:43:39 PM
   As the night was starting to get late, Ricardo stood up, holding his arms out in a gesture of silence. He spoke a few lines in Estalian that was quickly greeted with roaring laughter from all of the officers present, but eventually Ricardo calmed them down once again. Grabbing his goblet, Ricardo held his drink out in the direction of Arathos, Ricardo spoke a single line in Estalian before he gulped the drink down. Nearly at once, all of the officers scrambled to grab their own drinks(Spilling a few in the process) to join in on the toast. The translator, after drinking his own, turned to Arathos. "We may speak business... Come, let us leave the officers to their enjoyment. Ricardo shall meet you at your tent, if that is agreeable."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 24, 2009, 03:02:08 PM
Moslac, Central Border Princes

Arathos nodded, and rose to leave for his tent and make preparations.  Word came to him that the last of the enemy had been driven off, and scouts were already riding deep into Karoly to investigate the fate of Don Matthias' army.  He learned that Maialen had ridden for Mortensholm some hours ago; ideally she would be in the city before long.

Arrangements were made to recieve the Estalians, and Erberk soon found himself sending troops to help haul the tank free of the river.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 25, 2009, 02:14:03 AM
Aldium Crossing, South of Aldium, Border Princes, 2524 IC

Prince Gustave Doumer peered through his engineer's spy glass from the top of the watch tower on the northwestern side of what was called Aldium Crossing.  He scanned the defenses of his own soldiers, and then returned to viewing the progress of the Black Company, which seemed to be steady, and with no effort seeming to be made towards the crossing area, but instead moving northeast.  So it seemed the Black Company would be by-passing them.

He turned to his scout leader, "Von Gebirge, are you sure they are moving past us?"

"There advance elements are clearly beyond where it would make sense for them to try a crossing anywhere along the river, your honor."

"Hmmm.  Have you heard or seen anything that would tell you where they are headed?"

"No, your honor."

"Ok Von Gebirge, report back immediately if you detect anything else, and continue to stay far enough back where you don't create a situation that antagonizes them."

"Yes, your honor."

Prince Doumer then turned to his cavalry commander, "And Kaltreiter, I want you to continue supporting Von Gebirge's eyes and hears with most of your men.  At the same time, I want you to immediately send a squad north to inform Baron Driesch of the news we have here today.  I also want to know what has happened to drive Don Mathias out of Domzale, and I need you to send your best squad south to find out what has caused him to macrh as he has."

"Yes your honor."

"The two of you are dismissed."

After the two men exited through the opening in the tower's top level, and Prince Doumer had taken one more look through the spy glass, he handed the instrument back to his engineer, "Boris, here you go.  Keep tending the watch.  I need to tend to one more item myself, and then I'll be back to see if anything has changed.

And then Gustave began his descent to the ground.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 26, 2009, 04:04:17 PM
Dawnstrider Command Tent, Moslac

Ricardo and the men he felt necessary for the negotiations made their way into Moslac, where the Dawnstriders had camped.  He found the city alive with activity as the soldiers not stationed on guard duty on the walls or across the river were busy repairing buildings and aiding the people of Moslac in restoring their home.  They came to the Dawnstrider Command tent, where a number of greatswords stood outside.  Ricardo was announced and welcomed in a moment later.  The Striders appeared to be the polar opposite of Ricardo's entourage; where Ricardo surrounded himself with nobles that would flatter him and fight for his attention, the General stood in near silence looking over the maps and papers prepared on the table, his various lieutenants and aides standing quietly and only speaking when asked for their opinion.  Arathos had changed into a lighter suit of chainmail, his best tabard over it and a massive two handed sword on his back.  He walked over to greet Ricardo, the translator telling Ricardo how pleased Arathos was he could arrive, and that he felt they had drafted some very generous terms for him to look over.

Mortensholm, Central Border Princes

The guards outside the city of Mortensholm saw a number of cavalry riding up to their walls, one carrying a blue banner with the emblem of a shield and crossed swords embroidered in gold upon it.  The standard bearer and another man rode closer to the walls after the rest of the company halted.  The other man had a staff upon his back, and wore a black cloak and dark purple and black robes.  He called up to the walls.  "People of Mortensholm, the emissary of the Dawnstrider Legion seeks audience with Baron de Crux and the Graf of your town!"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 26, 2009, 05:22:57 PM
Mortensholm, Central Border Princes

A voice came down from the wall, from atop one of the hastily built hoardings of wood that had been fashioned temporarily to repair the circumvallation.

"Ah now, friend, that might not be so easy. Gone away they have, north over the mountains - too far to be coming back to speak with you."

Another voice joined in: "You tell 'em Olav."

The first voice shouted, "I am doing, though whether or not they'll hear me with all your shouting I cannot say."

The horseman in purple and black robes down below the wall shouted: "What?"

"See," said Olav, "I told you they wouldn't hear me."

The horseman sounded a little angry when he continued:

"I can hear you. If neither the Graf nor the Baron are here, who does command?"

"That would be the captain, Joost van Rooyen he's called. Him and the mayor Don Alonso. They're doing all the ruling right now. Why d'you ask?"

"I ask," said the horseman, definitely irate, "because I would speak to them."

"Well now, they're not going to hear you from there. I'm struggling to hear you, even now that Abeel's stopped shouting. How d'you expect them to hear you? They're not even on the wall. At least they weren't last time I looked, which ain't so long ago."

There was silence for a moment. The horseman looked at the standard bearer next to him. The soldier was obviously trying not to smile.

“Look, I’ll make this easy to understand …” began the horseman.

But the voice from above interrupted,

“Best way, if you ask me. I’ve always preferred easy to understand. Helps in every situation, every time and every place. I’m not one for confusion and muddlement, but would wish on all occasions for plain and simple. Ask any of my friends and they’ll tell you.”

The horseman continued,

“… Tell the captain that an emissary of the Dawnstrider Legion wishes to speak with him. Tell him now, and waste no more time.”

“Shall I go?” came the voice of Abeel, trying to be helpful.

“No," said Olav, "it appears the man wants me to go, and it would be impolite for me not to do so. I know it would be quicker for you to go, what with you not having a gammy leg like I do, but the man’s made his wishes clear, and it ain’t for me to stand in his way, especially considering that I have difficulty even standing at times.”

The emissary had his head in his hands.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on May 26, 2009, 05:54:12 PM
 :icon_lol:

More laughter after Padre's pair make their appearance again. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 26, 2009, 06:07:21 PM
Mortensholm, Central Border Princes

Feldon sighed, clearly frustrated.  Maialen smirked and laughed quietly to herself, the pistoliers around her chuckling or trying to look busy as they checked their various guns.  They waited patiently for whoever was in charge to address them, or at least let them in.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on May 27, 2009, 08:53:04 PM
   Ricardo bowed to Arathos in a sign of respect before he looked the table over. He eyed what these barbarians were thinking of and smiled, as if to hide his true thoughts. He spoke the translator and buisness began. The translator, after hearing a long winded speech from Ricardo, turned to Arathos and said a simple sentence. "What do you have to offer?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 29, 2009, 07:40:39 AM
Mortensholm, Central Border Princes

Mayor Alonso Was dismayed at what had become of his house. It had been thoroughly looted, then for good measure vandalised and wrecked. His fine mullioned windows were all broken, the glass smashed and crunching under foot in every room.

Of course he knew it must have been the Black Company men who did this, or the blasts from their grenadoes, but a niggling little part of him wondered if this damage might not have been so bad if he had not stayed with the alliance army so long and had instead come back here as soon as he came over the mountains. He had political enemies in the town, and they might well take pleasure in adding to his discomfort.

Then again, he was not actually sure his enemies had survived. His own Lord, the Graf, had been stripped of his wits and made into a babbling fool. From what Alonso saw of the town, he was sure that there must be many survivors similarly broken.

There was a clattering outside the room, someone stumbling over the fallen beams and rubble, and Alonso clutched at his dagger's hilt instinctively.

"Mayor Alonso," came an unfamiliar voice, "I was told I could find you here. Is that you?"

The voice's owner appeared in the doorway. He was a soldier, one of
Captain Joost van Rooyen's men by the looks of him, and by his accent. He was wearing his armour, breatsplate and chain, as if about to give battle any moment. But Alonso knew that Joost's men seemed ever ready as if bred for war and unable to dress for anything else.

"Yes, as you can see you have me here in my magnificent home. I would offer you a seat if I had one to offer."

"Your honour, the Captain wishes you to join him at the eastern tower. There are emissaries of the Dawnstriders there."

Alonso sighed.

"I wondered how long it would take for the noble protectors to arrive. No doubt they wish to offer their peculiar brand of 'protection' now that the Black Company is gone and the danger is over. Oh, and of course there will be the matter of the 'contributions' expected of us, now that we have been thoroughly robbed and have nothing of value left."

"Your honour?"

"Nothing. Forget I spoke. Lead on, young fellow. I would advise you go by the main street for the lesser lanes, though shorter, are almost impasable."




Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 31, 2009, 02:47:38 PM
Moslac

Arathos nodded to the translator.  "We are offering a simple agreement; 10 gold crowns per man and 75 per artillery piece that moves to lay siege to Vidovdan.  If the town falls, your men shall have plundering rights, provided there is no slaving or raping.  The townsfolk themselves are to be unmolested.  I wish to try and convince them to give up the town without a fight as you lay siege.  Regardless of which outcome happens, if we take the town with minimal looting and damage, I shall add another chest of gold on top of your pay as a 'no damage' bonus.  You'll essentially be paid a handsome amount of gold to march around and look menacing.  After Vidovdan is successfully taken, I will give you a map leading you to the leaders of a war effort in the Empire, along with a letter informing the noble in charge that your services will be of use to him.  I am certain they will hire you; he's made it clear to me they need all the help they can muster."

Mortensholm

Mayor Alonso made his way alongside the soldier to the Eastern Tower.  As they got within sight of it, the Mayor saw a crowd had formed around the Dawnstrider soldiers.  This was not in and of itself surprising; the people were likely curious about this latest band of soldier.  When he got closer and had to make his way through the crowd, he saw the true reason.  The soldiers were handing out food, water, and what clothing and blankets they had to spare to the people.  They explained to the Mayor they were ordered to give everything they could spare to the people when they arrived.  The Mayor was led inside, where a man in purple and black and an elf in a teal dress were waiting.  Both bowed to greet him as he entered the room, Captain van Rooyen already there and waiting.  The she-elf spoke to him first.
     "Greetings, Mayor Alonso.  I am Zaubermeister Maialen, of the Dawnstrider Legion.  I thank you for taking the time to meet with us.  The General sends his condolences about the state of your town; we've just pushed the Black Company out of Moslac and it is a terrible sight there as well.  We've come to offer your town a place in the Protectorate, so that the current garrison can return to aid the Solland effort and your own people can begin rebuilding in earnest."  Mayor Alonso seemed suspicious as he listened, but Maialen smiled and went on.  "I have sent word to Moslac to send food, surgeons, and new blankets and clothes, regardless of what you decide here.  Would you like to hear the terms, Mayor?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on May 31, 2009, 03:24:02 PM
None of this was what the Mayor had expected. Not only was he surprised that a she-elf was present, never mind that she would do the talking, but the offer she made was generous, even kind.

He wracked his brains to work out what trickery there could be here. He could recall stories from his childhood that told of the elves' wily cunning, of bewildering feats of ledgerdemain and acrobatics, of a persuasiveness born from an unnatural charm, an almost magical glamour. Yet here he felt none of that. The elf looked entirely mortal, quite earnest, and spoke in a very plain manner. Perhaps this is what the elves of the Dawnstrider legion were like, having mixed so long with men and dwarfs? Or perhaps this in itself was part of the trick?

He needed time to think. He looked at the captain to ascertain his reaction but the soldier stood there as if on parade, entirely inscrutable.

"Well," he said, "Zaubermeister, your offer is very kind and it would be cruel of me not to accept all the aid you can give. The people here have indeed been most cruelly treated, roughly manhandled, and robbed thoroughly by the Black Company vermin. Tell me your terms. If they are both fair and just I shall not refuse them."

The she-elf smiled. The Mayor now played his card, the trick that would give Mortensholm a 'get out' if necessary. He wanted it accepted even before he heard the terms, and then no-one could accuse him of being ungrateful after he had heard them.

"But know this," he continued, "my lord and master Graf Edric must surely return to this his realm, and when he does, any agreements made by such as the captain and I, being mere lieutenants, would have to be ratified by him. If he was not pleased, then the terms would not stand."

It was the mayor's turn to smile.

"If you wish to proceed in light of this condition, then speak on."

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on May 31, 2009, 06:07:47 PM
Mortensholm

Maialen nodded to his conditions.  "Absolutely; I intend to head north after this meeting and secure the approval of the Graf and his lordship the Baron.  There is no need to delay the security and rebuilding of this town, nor the arrival of the good Captain's reinforcements to their homes in Solland.  As for our terms, they are very simple and, I think you will find, more than reasonable.  We expect your town's soldiers and standing garrison be incorporated into the Legion.  You will pay the monthly salary of the troops stationed in your town, along with a small additional tax to the Protectorate as a whole.  In exchange, any time your town must call upon reinforcements we will send any forces needed to drive off the enemy.  We have a strong artillery train, complete with a steam tank and the experimental yet dangerous Helstorm rockets of Nuln, a sizable heavy cavalry force, and excellent scouts and infantry.  In addition to protecting your town, and ensuring you always have access to an army far larger than Mortensholm could ever field on its own, our soldiers are never allowed to be lax in their work.  The General insists that when they are not busy training or defending, they must work on improving the lands and the towns.  They will pave roads, clear forests, build homes and structures, and in general aid your people in their day to day lives.  Our soldiers always earn their keep.  We also ask that you cooperate with the other Mayors and elders within our Protectorate; obviously the more we work together, the more prosperity we enjoy and the better able we are to stand as one when brigands and invaders come for our homes."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on May 31, 2009, 10:49:32 PM
Twenty miles south of Domzale, Border Princes

Las stumbled along the rough track, a man behuind him grabbed his shoulder steadying him. The boy smiled his thanks and walked on. They had been walking for several days now, a column of around eight hundred refugees from the devastated town, led by a Priest of Myrmidia in the hope they could find refuge among the southern towns, away from the war and the monsters.

After the fall, and subsequent massacre of the town, the few remaining refugees had been harassed by Ogres for several miles, then the monsters must have grown bored and returned to the hell-hole that Domzale had become to get their share of the plunder and food.

Las was exhausted, yet he was still frightened of the prospect of leaving his family, the boy was now completely alone and walking among strangers to a town of Bretonnian invaders that could in all probability turn them away and rob them.

Moslac, Border Princes

The Nightman awoke with a cry, he was covered in mud, almost un-recognisable as a human being, he could just as well be a part of the landscape. His clothes were town, his body battered and cut. Amazingly, his repeater bow was in pristine condition and lying on a boulder not two feet from him.

As Alphonse scrambled to a small copse of trees, he could see the thousands of enemy troops settling down in a new camp on the western bank of the river, away from the battlefield. It seemed they were making ready to march on Domzale and the rest of Karoly, Alphonse wondered what the Don was doing about it.

Vidovdan, Border Princes

Matthias, the King of Karoly sat in the headman's house in the small town. His army had arrived there just that morning to the relief of the garrison. Vidovdan had no walls and was situated in a terrible defensive position without a fort or castle. If the enemy were to assault it, the garrison would be overwhelmed almost immediately. Matthias decided that tomorrow, his army, swelled with the garrison of Vidovdan would move on to the pass to the Empire.

Perhaps north, Matthias could extort some villages. Or maybe just loot and kill the inhabitants.

Either way he'd get rich and have his vengeance.


Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on May 31, 2009, 11:10:51 PM
She-elf?

Shelf?

sorry, carry on...
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 01, 2009, 08:30:02 PM
Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

Thomas Vitec was pacing around the courtyard; no word from either the General or his aides in nearly a week, and he was wondering how the war was going, and if his brother had managed to relieve the defenders at Moslac in time.  His time among the Dawnstriders had been well enough, considering he was a prisoner.  He was allowed out of the hold and into the courtyard any time he desired, and allowed a nice guest room rather than a cell.  He had not seen his other brother, Stefan, since their falling out, and he now took his meals in his quarters rather than in the dining room.  A guard approached him, not one of the usual pair assigned to watch him, and Thomas nodded to him.

"Herr Vitec, the General wishes to inform you that we have taken Moslac.  The Grand Army of Solland has forced the King of Karoly from the town of Mortensholm, which we are now in the process of reinforcing.  Domzale has been plundered by ogres, and your eldest brother is missing.  The General has offered you a chance to meet with him in Vidovdan to negotiate the surrender of Karoly; if you refuse, you are welcome to remain here as his guest."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 01, 2009, 09:39:52 PM
Dawnbringer Hold, Schwarzbaum

Thomas nodded to the soldier, "I'll leave immediately, please. Arrange a horse and suitable attire for me."

The Soldier nodded and strode away. His companion waited with the noble.

---

Late that night Thomas and an escort of twelve Sentinels rode out of the western gate of Schwarzbaum on the road to Moslac and the war.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 01, 2009, 09:56:58 PM
OOC: Inarticulate, if you don't mind, I'll be adding a unit of Black Company halberdiers to my actual gaming army in honor of what's happened here!  I just need to know a bit from you about how you envision them dressing and such, so I can model them properly.  That and their standard: same as the standard of Karoly, or would they fight under something different?  It's going to modified a bit to represent their new home in Legion, but I want this unit to feel precisely like it is: Karolingian expatriates fighting for their new leader.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 01, 2009, 10:11:19 PM
OOC: Inarticulate, if you don't mind, I'll be adding a unit of Black Company halberdiers to my actual gaming army in honor of what's happened here!  I just need to know a bit from you about how you envision them dressing and such, so I can model them properly.  That and their standard: same as the standard of Karoly, or would they fight under something different?  It's going to modified a bit to represent their new home in Legion, but I want this unit to feel precisely like it is: Karolingian expatriates fighting for their new leader.

Wow, I am indeed honoured by this! Their armour, in my list is heavy, so they'd need to have slightly more armour than usual (sadly imperial halbs don't get heavy armour). The standard can be whatever you want it to be, the Karolingian standard is Red and black stripes. Maybe use that with the dawnstrider emblem, or a shield on it with the dawnstrider colours?

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 02, 2009, 01:04:05 AM
   Ricardo spoke to the translator, the conversation was quick and to the point. The translator spoke how how Ricardo found the deal strange, but worth it, over all the night went on without incident from the Estalians. Ricardo's last words were: "We await your orders then, as well as your gold."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 02, 2009, 01:30:05 AM
Moslac, Central Border Princes

The city was alive with activity the following morning; the Black Halberdiers went with most of the artillery, cavalry, and the swordsmen to Domzale.  The remaining swordsmen and handgunners and artillery were going to remain behind in Moslac to garrison the city.  The Estalians were given a notice from Arathos that morning along with their initial pay, telling them to move out with the greatswords and spearmen to Vidovdan.  The rest of the cavalry raced to Mortensholm with a regiment of spearmen in tow, situated on the backs of their horses, along with all the surgeons they could spare and a few wagons of food and other relief supplies.  Frederick was placed in charge of the garrison, and given a stern lecture by Erberk to keep the town secure and in one piece.  Vidovdan was not far, and Arathos hoped to be in the town square before Thomas Vitec arrived (assuming he planned to meet at all).
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 02, 2009, 01:33:11 AM
    The Estalians grumbled as they all were rudely awaken by their overseers, the seargents and officers cracked their whips and got the army up and moving. Ricardo, having had a good sleep and a morning wash, was already at the head of the newly forming column, ready to lead his posh gaggle of officers and army towards the town of Vidovdan,
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 04, 2009, 01:39:04 PM
Vidovdan, Central Border Princes

The army of the Dawnstriders, along with their Estalian mercenaries, formed up outside the city, taking care to ensure the locals saw the artillery being moved into position to shell the city.  A group of soldiers went forward under a white flag, and called out to the people of Vidovdan to meet with them, and parlay.

Domzale, Central Border Princes

Rheinhardt and his men could tell they were getting close to Domzale.  Forward scouts had been sent out, and were calling out messages to let the ogres know, if they were still present, that an army of men were coming to meet with them and discuss paying them for the town.  Rheinhardt was not sure if they still were squatting in the ruined city, but he and his men were to do all they could to relieve the people of the danger of an occupying ogre force.  If that meant attacking the ogre army, so be it.  He hoped they could simply shove the ogres onto someone else's lands, and begin rebuilding the town.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 04, 2009, 03:31:47 PM
Domzale, Central Border Princes

The Bull came running across the square towards Agrabog and Jublig. Not a sight Agrabog saw that often, and vaguely comical. He chuckled. In his army, if there was running to do then gnoblars were usually sent to do it.

This Bull was a young warrior, with few scars about his person. Maybe his youth was why he was in so much of a rush? Or, thought Agrabog suddenly, maybe something bad was happening?

Realising that the drink was probably slowing down his thinking a bit, he leaned over and prodded Jublig.

“Wake up, fool! Something’s up.”

Jublig opened one eye, then started to yawn. When it turned into belch, the surprise opened his other eye.

“What?” he said.

By now the Bull was standing before the pair of them. He assumed Jublig’s enquiry was directed at him, so he spoke.

“Great Lord and Master, begging your pardon, but there’s something I have to tell you and I’d like to be doing that now for it’s something that can’t wait.”

Agrabog scowled at him. The Bull simply stood there.

“What?” shouted Agrabog. It was loud enough to make Jublig sit up straight and shake off the last vestiges of sleep.

“Oh, aye!” said the Bull. “There are soldiers outside, coming ahead of an army, and they’re telling us lads that they want to buy the town off us.”

Agrabog grinned widely. He’d been wondering if anyone would pay for the town, but there didn’t until now seem to be anyone to demand a ransom from. Everyone who had been in the town had either run away or been killed.

“How much?” asked Jublig.

The Bull looked confused, as he shifted his look to Jublig to Agrabog and then back again.

“I said, ‘How much?’” repeated Jublig. “How much will they pay.”

Agrabog grabbed the board in front of him with one huge hand and flipped it right over, scattering the contents (mostly drinking vessels and bones) across the courtyard. He stood up at the same time.

Sounding exasperated he shouted even louder at Jublig,

“Well, let’s go and find out!”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 04, 2009, 03:52:39 PM
Domzale, Central Border Princes

Rheinhardt looked about him with disgust.  There was no sign of survivors, and the gates of the city were smashed open, revealing the ruin and devastation filling the town within.  He directed his horse a bit closer to the gates, his standard bearer following him.
     "Grandmaster, sir, are we to fight these brutes?"
     "I would prefer not to, but we only have so much gold.  Perhaps we can pay them off with the beer and food supplies."
     "Then what will we eat, sir?"
     "That's not your problem to worry about, soldier.  Now, keep quiet.  They're coming.  Let's keep this fast, I hear ogres get hungry during long meetings, and we all know they're not picky about what to put on their plates."  The two lumbering brutes coming towards him were likely the tyrant and his chosen champion.  Rheinhardt held up his hand to them, palm outward.  He wasn't sure if this would mean anything to them, but it was worth a try.  "Hail, ogre lords!  We have come to discuss the terms of purchasing this town from you."  The larger of the two glowered at him a moment.
     "How much?"
     "I have a chest of gold, and a wagon of beer, liquor, and food."  He waited as the ogre tyrant pondered the offer.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 05, 2009, 10:50:11 AM
The Pass of Karak Gantuk, North of Vidovdan, Border Princes IC 2524

Matthias looked upon the small dwarf army assembled before him. He was confident his experienced army would have no trouble against them, they were such a small force and he had double the numbers of men.

The march through the pass had gone well so far, they had sacked the dwarf town of Khazid Svargunkor with minimal losses and had gained many chests of gold and wagons of food. They had then marched further down the pass toward the dwarf hold, always watched by dwarf rangers from the mountainsides. His men had even spied a dwarf mechanical monster in the sky screaming at his men. Some of his crossbowmen had loosed bolts at the contraption and it had fled from range.

Then, while approaching the hold, his army had come across the host of the lesser hold. He had to break through the line of steel to reach the Empire itself.

Vidovdan, Border Princes

Mjork, council elder of Vidovdan, and previous first advisor to the deceased Graf walked out to the parley of Dawnstriders, telling the soldiers that the evil black Company had gone from here, north toward the Empire.

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 05, 2009, 01:01:18 PM
Domzale, Central Border Princes

Agrabog smiled, showing his massive, sharp teeth in all their hideous glory.

“That’s your offer, eh? Well I’ve done this more times than Jublig here has sat on a gnoblie, and I know all about haggling.”

Jublig was turning on the spot to see if there was a gnoblar behind him. Agrabog ignored him and continued…

“How about, for a town as pretty as this one, you make that two chests of gold, two wagons of beer, and more food?”

Jublig had got back to where he started and growled,

“He said liquor too, don’t forget the liquor.”

“Oh aye,” said Agrabog, “and the liquor.”

Suddenly there was a huge thunderous roar, startling several of the Dawnstrider men so that they jolted. Rheinhardt did not flinch, but frowned and looked at the town walls.

“Oh, and powder too,” said Agrabog, “because those idiots keep wasting theirs. I want black powder too, three budge barrels - big ones.”
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 06, 2009, 01:23:35 AM
Vidovdan, Central Border Princes

Arathos nodded to the council elder.  "Then I shall speak with you in the morning.  We wish to discuss Vidovdan's joining the Dawnstrider Protectorate; I am pleased we did not have to drive the Black Company out of here beforehand.  In the meanwhile, return to your people, and assure them we have not come for butchery and conquest.  If you join, it will be peacefully and freely."  With that he left to go to his command tent, dispatching orders to pay the Estalians their bonus for the city being intact, and to draft a letter for Ricardo to take with him to meet Baron de Crux.  A messenger arrived that night to hand the sealed scroll to Ricardo along with a map outlining the speediest route for them to arrive in Solland.  There, Ricardo was told, the Baron Uyrens de Crux would almost certainly have work for them.

Later that night, the cavalry escort arrived from Schwarzbaum.  Thomas Vitec was escorted into Arathos' command tent to speak with the General.  Arathos nodded to him as he entered.  "A pleasure, Herr Vitec.  Have a seat, and we shall discuss this as gentlemen."

Domzale, Central Border Princes

Rheinhardt sighed.  The General would not be pleased with these terms, but he had no intention of wasting more manpower fighting ogres.  The city would need to be reconstructed, and the refugees rounded up and returned.  "Your terms are acceptable.  Oberst, head to the wagons and arrange for the supplies they demand to be brought up at once."
     "But sir-!"  Rheinhardt cut him off with a nasty glare.  The standard bearer nodded and rode off to the supply train.  Rheinhardt looked back to the ogre tyrant.
     "Do you happen to know where any of the residents are, ogre lord?  Have they all fled or," here Rheinhardt paused.  He didn't want to offend the ogre by suggesting they'd eaten most of the residents, but then again he wasn't sure if they'd find that offensive.  "Or met an unpleasant end?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 07, 2009, 01:46:34 PM
Ricardo, after seeing the chest of gold slide heavily into his tent, could not help but grin. He had just arrived and he had not lost a single man, but already his coffers had grown. Turning to his circle of officers and Nobles, he began to inform them of their new mission, their new orders. Displaying the map, Ricardo spoke of supply lines and of tactics to use on the march, the idea of tactics and most military associated talks bored most of the Nobles, causing Ricardo to cut his speech short and find a quick end to it.

When Ricardo finished, the whole room nearly erupted with. "What, by Myrmidia's grace, is Solland?!"







That night, the Estalian camp once more began to pack itself up, there was no haste in their actions, after all they did have their gold finally.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 07, 2009, 06:13:38 PM
Vidovdan, Central Border Princes

Thomas Vitec dismounted from his horse and followed the guard into the General's tent.

Arathos nodded to him as he entered.  "A pleasure, Herr Vitec.  Have a seat, and we shall discuss this as gentlemen."

Thomas nodded back and took the camp chair offered, reversing it and sitting down. "What do you want of me, Don Arathos? I was quite happy as a captive."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 07, 2009, 08:01:39 PM
Vidovdan, Central Border Princes

"Look, Herr Vitec, this is a pointless conflict.  Your hometown is plundered by ogres, and your conquests are now freed and taken by us.  Your brother took what remained of the garrison here, and left for the Empire.  Now, I'd like this formally settled and ended so we can go about rebuilding your homes, repopulating these cities, and strengthening my garrisons so their safe.  I'd prefer to have you on my side through this, for the sake of the people."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 08, 2009, 06:28:58 PM
Vidovdan, Border Princes

Thomas was surprised at the gruffness of the General's statement. "Don Arathos, I agree with you, this war has been costly for both sides. I can help you, surely? By blood right, I should have governorship over the lands ruled by my brother." he took a deep breath. "I hear you say that Ogres have pillaged fair Domzale, If your men can defeat and drive these monstrous heathens from the Voivodeship, then your soldiers will be needed to round up the people that have fled, and help the of the  rebuilding the city. If you do this, Domzale shall join the Protectorate completely  and will definitely be the jewel of your realm." The Vitec looked into the general's eyes, looking for any sign of insinuated insult. "If I help you with this, I would need something in return, the execution of my witless brother and the promise of help if Matthias decides to return."

Can't believe how big this thread has gotten! Also, played a small battle with a dwarf army at the weekend, will write up a narrative battle report... sadly no pictures, i'm not that hi-tech ;)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 08, 2009, 06:37:24 PM
Vidovdan, Border Princes

"Very well, Herr Vitec.  I will have you made lord of Domzale; you can depart as soon as we finish here, my soldiers under Rheinhardt should already be in command of Domzale.  I sincerely hope that together we can put aside the misgivings and distrust this war has created, and unite to create a stronger, grander realm.  The Bretonnians look hungrily to Moslac and beyond, viewing your lands and mine with an eye for conquest; orcs, goblins, trolls, skaven, and worse are all around us, and will sweep away the unprepared.  I am trusting you, Herr Vitec, not to betray me once you are back in power.  Make no mistake, I need your help as much as you need mine.  Individually we will struggle and may falter against our enemies, but together we can find a way to live."  Arathos had begun drafting the orders to give to Rheinhardt, informing him that Thomas was to be placed in charge of the city as governor.  "I will explain to you the nature of the Protectorate, and how it works before you leave.  But first, I have two questions:  Firstly, why do you wish Stefan executed?  And what promise of help do you want if Matthias should return?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 08, 2009, 06:48:23 PM
Thomas was well pleased with this result. "General, you did not have to grow up with Stefan. He is a meddler and of no use to me. If you have no wish to execute him, you can dispose of him as you wish. And If Matthias returns I will need full military support. The Black Company, as you know are a determined and well-trained force, with them, Matthias conquered almost a quarter of the border princes within a few weeks. It took an army from the Empire, plus your armies on two fronts to force him to retreat, and he still has a formidable force. I will need your full military support if he returns." Thomas looked to the general as he spoke. "On to the tribute of Domzale, If I can repopulate the city fairly quickly, we will be able to save the harvest, it will probably be one of your biggest cities so far, and therefore will bring a lot of revenue."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 08, 2009, 06:50:24 PM
"You think your brother will march against you if he returns?"
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 08, 2009, 06:52:47 PM
Thomas was nonplussed, Arathos held himself with a regal attitude, but Thomas had suspicions that he was not noble born. "Of course he would."

No family ties in the Vitec family ;)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 08, 2009, 06:58:08 PM
Arathos blinked a bit in astonishment.  What kind of brother would do such a thing?  Then again, the brutality of this Matthias was notorious enough.  Arathos nodded.  "Of course, all member cities of the Protectorate are guaranteed the full military support of the Legion against any foe.  As for your brother Stefan, I will dispatch the order myself to deal with him.  I hope we can find most of the refugees quickly; a large harvest will be crucial to paying for the repairs the Protectorate needs, to say nothing of preventing famine this winter."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on June 10, 2009, 03:09:39 AM
The Pass of Karak Gantuk ...
Is that the name given to the pass by GW?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on June 10, 2009, 03:13:37 AM
Can't believe how big this thread has gotten! Also, played a small battle with a dwarf army at the weekend, will write up a narrative battle report... sadly no pictures, i'm not that hi-tech ;)
And this will represent the Black Company's encounter with the Dwarfs in the pass?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 11, 2009, 02:40:28 AM
((As soon as my ass is done being lazy, I will finish my damn gobbos and throw together a Skirmish myself between my Oh-So-Heroic Estalians Vs the little bastards... Till then, I will be stareing at my Half painted Gobbo's praying they will magically get done.))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 11, 2009, 01:45:10 PM
Can't believe how big this thread has gotten! Also, played a small battle with a dwarf army at the weekend, will write up a narrative battle report... sadly no pictures, i'm not that hi-tech ;)
And this will represent the Black Company's encounter with the Dwarfs in the pass?

Yes.

The Pass of Karak Gantuk ...
Is that the name given to the pass by GW?
Karak Gantuk is a minor hold near the pass (according to some[probably unofficial] maps I've seen) , so thats the name I gave it, perhaps the men of the Empire have a different name for it. It comes out near Ummenbach I believe.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 11, 2009, 07:38:50 PM
Might I ask - how big are the armies concerned? Twenty, thirty, forty strong? Or over a hundred strong, the kind of scale that lays a land to waste and famine just by standing still and eating food?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 11, 2009, 07:45:13 PM
My army is relatively small, only some 2-3 thousand strong. My character is just a  Border Prince. Not an Emperor :D. I'd think it hard for the Emperor to field a hundred strong army!

Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 11, 2009, 08:09:07 PM
2000 strong?  :-o  How do you feed them all?  :laugh:

But heck, Wissenland doesn't stand a chance. The garrison of Nuln is only 4800; and only 300 of them are standing troops, the rest militia: well might the Empire tremble!

An army that size would cause a famine even if it just spent a few weeks in the already hand-to-mouth areas of southern Wissenland!



EDIT: Unless, of course, we're working on the "rule of cool" massive armies, or this whopping force has an even bigger supply train behind it and represents one of the most powerful regions of the Border Princes migrating.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 11, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
Well my army basically has a pseudo-mercenary feel to it. They started off as raping, looting mercenaries, then carved out their own kingdom by conquering the neighbouring towns before some despicable people (;)) decided to stop my excellent army bringing the barbarian towns surrounding me under the wing of my great general Don Matthias Vitec.
In reality, the economy of my princedom couldn't sustain my army so I went to war.

It now exists by looting every town it comes across and ravaging the countryside, killing and raping pretty much anything.

Apparently I'm being called the bad guy.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 11, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
That's a pretty awesome background... an army that is so powerful and so strong that no country can sustain it, so instead it just wanders around looting, raping and burning at will.

Tremble, oh Empire!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 11, 2009, 08:22:02 PM
Think of them as Italian Condottieri inbetween jobs.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 11, 2009, 08:38:38 PM
Hmmm... have you ever seen Schiller's Wallenstein sequence? Because, if you have, they make me think of Count Octavio's band of mercenaries, so powerful that they make up almost a third of the Imperial Army.

If not, then yes, I think I have a good idea.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 11, 2009, 08:55:33 PM
Wallenstein was awesome.

Changing the enite unit formation just so the standard is in the exact centre of the block is so perfectionist and over the top its just brilliant!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 11, 2009, 09:25:35 PM
My Army is only a Merc army as well, so I'm smaller then Inart. I survive off a chain of supplies. Currently, Ricardo was the End of the Supply train so what supplies the Army does have will last them a bit, but yes it won't last them long. Arathos, currently, is pushing them out of the Border Princes so, we will have to see how this mutates.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on June 12, 2009, 03:00:30 AM
It could make sense for us to not get too carried away with the size of the armies.  Wissenland isn't an area of huge wealth or large armies.  If 2-3k of soldiers entered the Empire and began looting and pillaging, this in itself might provide a reason for the Sollanders and Wissenland to join forces and drive the raider out (and perhaps towards the end of the story we coudl work this in).  It could make more sense currently for Mathias to be finding a way to co-exist by offering his services to Wissenland in return for being able to feed his men, or something like that. :icon_wink:

Anyway, before this all starts, I'm still trying to finalize the broad course of how this will proceed and I have been taking input from many of the participants, so that we have a framework to move forward upon, but everyone can still use their individual creativities to then define and refine the details.  If folks can give me a few days to finish this, that would be helpful, before we all plunge into the escalation of the conflict in Wissenland (Solland, for those who view it that way :icon_wink:).

Thanks!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 12, 2009, 05:05:42 AM
The Dawnstrider Army is nearly 3,000 strong, but very few of it is mobile.  Each city has a standing garrison as large as can be comfortably housed (at least a good hundred in the smallest hamlets, up to several hundred in larger cities), with about 1,000 serving as the mobile army that polices the borders and handles reinforcing cities in peril.  The Dawnstriders could never mobilize the entirety of its soldiers for battle, because that would involve taking literally EVERY soldier in the various towns, leaving every city completely defenseless and lawless, since Dawnstrider soldiers double as local law enforcement (to say nothing of the catastrophe of trying to manage a such a tremendous supply train with no soldiers to organize or defend it).  In reality, it would strain the Dawnstrider Protectorate greatly to field even 2,000 soldiers.  A thousand men is already considered a great investment, and typically 500 or so move about the various patrol paths while the other 500 are kept on continuous duty, moving from city to city helping with projects or escorting trade caravans to neighboring nations or down to Barak Varr.  The Dawnstriders make the majority of their wealth selling barley and wheat to the dwarfs to be brewed into beer, and spend the wealth importing more food and gear for the army.

This is how Arathos manages to feed and pay his men; outside of battle they perform public works, everything from helping till fields, to paving roads and building walls and towers.  Although they all recieve periodic training and maintained equipment, and despite the fact they are full time, paid professional soldiers, they are in many ways no different than militia that answer a call to arms.  During their downtime they live and work among the peasants under their care (often in their hometown), the only difference being their armor and weaponry.  The additional wealth and food comes from seeking out and destroying bandit hideouts, goblin and orc tribes, and skaven tunnels, and plundering their supplies for salvageable food to feed the men.  Anything metal is sold to the dwarfs as scrap (if they'll take it), or smelted into gear to be sold to the villagers under the Dawnstriders' care (if the dwarfs won't).  Obviously, the extra wealth they come by depends largely on finding and destroying said enemies, so Arathos commonly spends the summers and early autumn leading expeditions into the mountains to the east, where orc tribes are plentiful and loot can be brought back in decent numbers.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 12, 2009, 10:24:35 AM
Due to careful deliberation and subtle peer pressure, I'll reduce the size of Matthias' force to a thousand.

I feel that it is a good move and I agree that two thousand would make too big an impact so early on.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on June 12, 2009, 11:15:05 AM
Its an interesting call on how big armies would be in the Old World

Medieval armies, in a Europe that saw continuous warfare, rarely saw armies larger than a few thousand, armies numbering 10s of thousands were the province of kings mounting massive campaigns.

The largest and most famous of all mercenary companies, The White Company numbered about 5000 at their highest and were a massive strain on the countryside (not to mention the purses that paid them!) but it seems an appropriate number to use for a large, powerful and famour company (like the ones we all command :) )

That said, the numbers GW use for populations wouldnt support a starving rat, never mind an army at war, so they have to be taken with a pinch of salt too.

I think the nice rule of thumb that occured to me was the army has a number of troops equal to the points value, roughly (though this really only works for the baseline of humans/empire)
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 12, 2009, 01:38:04 PM
It might also be added that these armies of 2/3000 were national armies, and left total chaos in their wake. If this story is less a second Storm of Chaos, and more a rebellion doomed to failure after a brief success, I'd think 2500 would be at the top end of Sollander numbers.

Inarticulate - that seems like a good plan.

Toro - Dawnstrider? I'm fascinated... I've not yet read these threads, but where does that realm lie? When you say "at least a good hundred in the smallest hamlets", is that bearing in mind that most hamlets have a population of 20-40, who struggle to survive on a yearly basis due to the tiny supplies of food subsistence farming produces?


EDIT: Never mind.  :roll:  Just re-read your post, and have realized that you sustain such a large army in a similar way to Sparta, by having every man a soldier.

That's really cool, actually... no wonder your realm sounds like such a strong military power!  :-o
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 12, 2009, 05:38:52 PM
I'm quite suprised you guys are having this discussion. The GW estimates for population in settlements of the Empire are ridiculously small, as is the number of actual figures in a tabletop army. So I had always assumed that GW were talking actual toy soldiers in a bizarre sort of way.

With this in mind when I do Bat Reps and do (occasionally) mention numbers, I talk in terms of the number of figures involved. When I do stories and linking pieces I avoid mentioning numbers so that I never have to choose between naming the actual number of figures or what would be a more believable, realistic number.

I do like Uryens' suggested method of imagining the number of soldiers in an army to be something like the points value. Obviously for different races you would have to mess about with such a figure. Like Agrabog's Ogres might have a number of Ogres (for story purposes) of about 1/4 their points value.

I'm gonna stick to using the actual number of figures when feeling the need to give an actual figure, if that's ok.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 12, 2009, 05:42:33 PM
I'm sort of with Uryens...this is a game of heroic fantasy, and I'm going with a bit of stretching reality for fun, along with some fluff justification for an army of my size.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 12, 2009, 06:03:46 PM
In the Storm of Chaos, am I right in remembering Archaon had like half a million in his horde?

Sounds like he definitely should have won if all the Empire could only muster some twenty thousand?
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 12, 2009, 06:13:22 PM
Getting things back on track before we get too bogged down in OOC matters

Schwarzbaum, Central Border Princes

A guard arrived just after dinner had been served, walking into the dining hall where Stefan was digging into his meal of roasted vegetables, three baked chickens, and a loaf of bread with sweet cream butter.  His appetite had been returning, the cooks noticed, and he seemed to be in high spirits, waiting for the general to return so he could negotiate with him for a profitable place in these lands.  The guard walked up to Stefan, who sighed mid chew.  "What is it, man?  Can't you see I'm having my dinner?"  The guard frowned, brushing off a chunk of food that had spattered his armor.  He broke the seal on the orders given to him by a messenger from Vidovdan.
     "I have orders concerning your welfare, straight from Vidovdan, Herr Vitec.  Let's see.  It says, 'By order of the General of the Dawnstrider Legion and Commander in Chief of the Protectorate's Forces, Arathos the Dawnbringer, you, Stefan Vitec, are to be executed by beheading at once.'"  The guard put away the missive as Stefan dropped his fork.  "Well, isn't that a shame?  I'll be back after you've finished your last meal."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Perius on June 12, 2009, 07:31:53 PM
 :eusa_clap:    :icon_lol:

Very good indeed... I like that scene a lot!

(And, at the danger of being a pedant, I was under the impression that, as a result of the size of that horde, much of it starved to death; they had to split up; the southern Old World nations and almost all mercenaries had to unite; they lost much of their strength to soldiers getting enslaved by Chaos Dwarfs/mummified by Vlad/axed by Dwarfs; and even when the Orcs and High Elves joined up, most of the army survived, only leaving because there was no food and Archaon had been defeated. Plus, the lore for numbers in Storm of Chaos is innumerate to the extreme...

... but the point about heroic fantasy is taken. I will keep my silence.  :-))
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on June 15, 2009, 10:27:01 AM
Ravenswood Manor, Wursterberg, early summer, IC2524

It had been half a day since the dwarf had arrived, lightly armoured, jogging, if you would believe it, to deliver an urgent message to Baron de Crux.

Still the baron raged and shouted in his study.

"Damn his eyes, curse his black heart, how dare he, how can he. He dares to attack my allies at every turn, he dares even to wage war, here, in Solland itself!

I'll feed him his own heart, by the Gods!"

The Baron gripped the edge of his desk, his knuckles white as he fought to control his anger.

"Good dwarf, please, take some food and drink to refresh yourself and avail yourself of my hospitality, then do my family the honour of bearing a message back to your Thane and my old friend, tell him that we shall not forget our oaths of honour and will send troops to stand next to his against this bandit

"Also, bear him this request, to send runners, or a gyrocopter, over the mountains, find a company known as The Dawnstriders, and tell their captain that if they would be friends and allies, to march up the pass to Ummenbach and together we will crush this murderous dog between us."
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 16, 2009, 03:25:05 PM
   Ricardo, looking over the map, could not help but question where in Myrmidia's grace he was. His officers and scouts kept reporting that the locals called " it Wentar's teeeth Paaath." Searching his map, over and over he could not help but always glance over and miss the area known as "Winter's Teeth Pass" for he had one problem...  He did not speak Riekspiel. His scouts reported they saw a town ahead, and Ricardo at once found a new goal. Not wishing to loose face, he tossed the map aside letting it fly harmlessly in the wind. Looking around at his officers he spoke clearly for all to hear.

    "Damn Barbarians gave us an incorrect map! We march forward!"

   Kruetzhofen was silent that night, like many towns, the locals were fast asleep in their houses. Those, who were unfortunate and on guard duty, saw before them an interesting sight. A Band of brightly colored soldiers approached the town, each mounted soldier held in their hand a torch, letting their presence  be easily known. Coming to a halt, a good 10 yards from the main entrance the flashy, tanned, and regal looking soldiers greeted the man in a language to which guard had not even the faintest idea of what it was. Looking them over, he could not help but feel awkward starring in silence at these figures, for they returned the glance with questioning stares that only fueled the bafflement. Eventually the guard nodded, seeing how they held no aggressive intentions and still had their weapons clipped and sheathed on their backs. Letting them enter, the guard thought to himself, might have been a bad idea for he soon saw these Riders were not alone. Marching in, in a two man wide colum, the Estalians entered the town for a night of fun and amusement.

    The Estalians had their camp outside the town, but the town's inn was packed full with these mercenaries. Each inn suffered the same fate, soldiers finally able to get off their feat and spend their share on ale, brewed a concoction of trouble. The Estalians had money and fine clothing but what they did not have, were manners. They did not sack or pillage the town, they did not send a militant message of aggression to the town, but they did herass the townsfolk with drunken games and pranks played about. Like kids without a guardian, the Estalians ran rampent about doing what came naturally to them. The night passed away with a roaring constant noise, the sound of soldiers haveing fun.

     The Next Morning, if one could call 3 in the afternoon the morning, awoke most of the Estalians. Even Ricardo himself had an issue rising early. The Townsfolk, who were already awake, began to push the hungover Estalians out of the town. Those soldiers still unable to walk were even wheel-barrowed out of the town and dumped off in the Estalian camp. Through the day, the Estalians recovered their composure and the Townsfolk began to rebuild their trambled belongings. Nothing major was damaged, and the amount of loot spent on the Ale and other drinks for the Estalians more then made up for any harm they did, but the town still felt slighted and it's pride was hurt.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 16, 2009, 04:35:51 PM
Okay, longer post to get back into action.

Vidovdan, Central Border Princes

Thomas Vitec was preparing to leave for Domzale; the General had drafted orders and was organizing his army to handle its increased duties.  Garrisons had to be arranged for all the various townships, and larger companies were needed at Moslac, Domzale, and Mortensholm to aid with rebuilding the towns.  It had taken a while to sort out the mess left by this war, but things were looking well; the new towns had a surprising number of civilians of proper age for service, and many were eager for pay and the chance to get their revenge against bandits like the Black Company.  A guard unit of heavy cavalry was being arranged to help escort Thomas when a rider approached him, offering a salute.  "Are you Graf Thomas Vitec of Domzale?"
     "I am.  What do you bring for me?"
     "The General has had your brother executed by beheading; we've brought the body if you wish to give it a proper burial."

Meanwhile, Arathos had one problem that was really bothering him: Where the hell was Averrob?

Moslac, Central Border Princes

The Emerald Wind had taken three days to haul out of the river, but they'd finally done it.  Brim looked it over, and sighed.  Erberk and Hogjaw were standing nearby, wrenches and hammers at the ready.  "This is going to take forever.  We'll have to remove the armor plating, then dry it out completely, repair it, lubricate it, then put it back together again."  Erberk thumped a wrench firmly into Brim's chest, and the two dwarfs marched off to start their work.  Brim went over to help them after he caught his breath.

Mortensholm

"Next!"  A pair of gentlemen made their way towards the recruiters table.  The Dawnstriders had been busy handing out relief supplies, sending the priestesses and surgeons to tend to the wounded, and rebuilding homes.  Now they had to start recruiting locals for guard duty, and train them for war.  The two in front of the recruiter were older, and seemed like they'd make poor soldiers.  What bothered him is they had come together, instead of one at a time like the rest of the recruits.  He sighed; damned stupid peasants never got easier to deal with.  "Names?"
     "Abeel"
     "Olav"
The recruiter nodded, writing down the names, and prepared to assess their fitness for duty...

A ditch, somewhere north of Vidovdan

The dwarf rangers crept up closer through the underbrush.  They had been moving south to seek help against the raiders that had attacked their homes.  They had traded rarely with a company of humans around here that allegedly had a dwarf or two among their numbers.  They hoped to find these dwarfs and verify the story, for if true it would mean the humans were indeed trustworthy and almost certainly honor-bound to answer the call for aid.  On their way, they heard shrieking and shouting, and then silence after about an hour.  They made their way close to the ditch that was the source of the noise, the stench of liquor and sulfur strong in the air.  One crept to the edge, peering over, crossbow in hand.  In the ditch was a filthy human, covered in debris and soot, clutching a staff in one hand and a broken whiskey bottle in the other. From the stains, it was apparent he was soaked with whatever he didn't swallow.  Nearby him was a greenish, rag covered ball, which soon blinked.  The dwarf blinked as well.  "GROBI!"  The green ball screamed, and lept nearly a foot in the air as bolts flew at it.
     "Boss!  Boss!  Boss! Stunties!  Help Boss!"  Gelnar ran off, screaming and dashing into the bushes, the long staff clattering behind him.  He fought to untie himself, diving madly out of the way of the flurry of bolts.  He crashed One of the dwarfs had unsheated his axe, and with a mighty thwack hacked at the shrub containing the cowardly goblin.  The cord was severed, and Gelnar raced into a tree, more quarrels flying towards him.  "BOOSSSSS!!!!"
     Averrob sat up groggily, and lifted the top of the smashed whiskey bottle to his lips.  "Mmm...buh?"  He peered at the broken part of the bottle, his hungover brain taking a few moments to process the fact that no more booze could come from it.  "Damn.  Gelnar!"  A scream was his only answer, and Averrob hauled himself out of the pit, a Dwarf elbowing him to the ground.
     "Stay down, Umgi!  There's greenskins afoot!  It nearly had yer head!"  Averrob suddenly realized what they were shooting at, and lept to his feet.
     "Gelnar!  You tried to kill me!?"  A squeal came from one of the bushes, and another axe blow clove it in twain.  The panicked goblin ran screaming deeper into the forest, Averrob in hot pursuit, hurling fire at it.
     "No Boss!  Gelnar good, Gelnar promise!  Boss knows best!"  The two ran screaming and shouting deeper into the woods, and finally the three rangers gave up the pursuit.
     "It's nae worth it, we've got work to do and a wizard can handle a lone grobi."  They nodded and grunted in agreement, and continued on their way south.  They only paused once when the smell of smoke hit them as they hit the edge of the wood, and they glanced over their shoulders to see a plume of fire shoot up through the forest canopy.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 16, 2009, 05:47:42 PM
Mortensholm "Next!"  A pair of gentlemen made their way towards the recruiters table.  The Dawnstriders had been busy handing out relief supplies, sending the priestesses and surgeons to tend to the wounded, and rebuilding homes.  Now they had to start recruiting locals for guard duty, and train them for war.  The two in front of the recruiter were older, and seemed like they'd make poor soldiers.  What bothered him is they had come together, instead of one at a time like the rest of the recruits.  He sighed; damned stupid peasants never got easier to deal with.  "Names?"
     "Abeel"
     "Olav"
The recruiter nodded, writing down the names, and prepared to assess their fitness for duty...

The recruiter, a sergeant of a more years experience than he had ever bothered to count, and in truth the answer would have surprised even him, looked the pair up and down. They must have been far on the wrong side of fifty years of age, which might well have blessed them with wisdom (the sergeant had yet to find out) but had definitely sapped them of their vitality.

The one called Abeel was obviously bald, a fact that the utterly unconvincing wig he had pasted to his head with some sort of admixture of honey and flour thus attracting several flies, and which was fashioned not from human hair but from what could well had been a horse’s tail, utterly failed to conceal. The one called Olav appeared to be quite lame, though he was attempting to hide the fact by putting his arm around Abeel’s shoulder, as if they were bosom buddies out for an evening stroll. Neither had yet noticed that Olav’s arm had dislodged Abeel’s wig so that it hung down upon left side of his head.

“Gainful employment,” said Olav, as if answering a question.

“What d’you say?” asked the sergeant.

“Me?” said Abeel. “I say the same as him, ‘gainful employment’.”

The sergeant rolled his eyes and patted a cloth to his neck, where sweat and his gorget had combined to raise a very annoying rash. “I know what he said, I wanted to know why he said it.”

“I should ask him then,” suggested Abeel helpfully.

There was a moment’s silence, a long moment’s silence. The sergeant stared expectantly at Olav; Olav stared blankly back.

“Well?” demanded the sergeant.

“Oh,” said Olav, “Am I to suppose, then, that you’ve already asked the question my good friend here suggested you ask of me even though you have indeed yet to ask said question, and have only hinted that you might do so?"

The sergeant was just looking at him. Feeling he ought to explain further Olav added, "I would not presume to put words into your mouth, sir sergeant.”

The cloth at the sergeant’s neck got caught on the catch of his gorget. He began tugging at it, in response to which it began to tear.

“Is it important to you?” asked Abeel.

“Is what important to me? You mean the question I asked?”

“No, sir, the cloth. The one you’ve just torn.”

“No!” shouted the sergeant.

“That’s a relief, then,” said Abeel, obviously satisfied.

The sergeant tore the cloth away, and stuffed the fragment that was left stuck to his gorget down between the armoured collar and his neck. “Let’s start again, shall we?”

“I’d say that was the only source of action open to us at this juncture,” said Olav.

“And I would agree with him,” said Abeel. “We’ve brought our own swords, if that’s of any help.”

The sergeant looked at the ancient and quite rusty hilts of the swords in question, both stuffed into Abeel’s belt.

“Those swords?” he asked.

“The very same,” the two of them answered simultaneously, then simultaneously slapped each other on the back of the head saying, simultaneously “Don’t do that.” This caught them simultaneously by surprise.

“Why, may I ask..” began the sergeant.

“Don’t let us stop you. Feel free to speak as you wish. I’ve heard it all in my day, and anything I didn’t hear my good friend probably heard in my stead,” said Olav.

The sergeant was growing red, and not just at his neck - his cheeks were flushed, his forehead similarly hued.

“Why is he carrying both of them?”

“He’s a very helpful kind of fellow,” said Olav, “but that’s not to say, and you can write this down if you wish, that I am not helpful too.”

For a moment, one can only assume because the heat and the rash and the muddled conversation were all combining to assault his composure, the sergeant almost picked up his quill to write. He took a deep breath, and asked, as calmly as he could, “And where are the scabbards?”

“Ah, I see where you are coming from,” said Olav. “Not the military fashion to go about with a naked blade…”

“Except in anger!” interrupted Abeel.

“Of course, except in anger,” continued Olav, “when to leave the blade in one’s scabbard would be somewhat counterproductive to the act of stabbing, slashing or in some otherwise manner inflicting harm upon whoever or whatever it is that one is obliged … to set about  … the act of…” (his words were faltering) “… under instruction, or orders I suppose you military fellows would say … to go about stabbing, so to speak, if that’s at all possible …”

“Stop speaking!” ordered the sergeant. “Where are the scabbards?”

Neither man said a word. The sergeant pondered a moment why this should be, then in a flash of disturbing logic said, “Start speaking.”

“The scabbards, sir sergeant, were left behind quite deliberately, due to the added burden they put upon poor Abeel here, who was already carrying two swords. Asking him to carry two scabbards as well as the two swords seemed unfair.”

“Two too many things,” said Abeel. “If you get my drift.”

The sergeant was stunned. He opened his mouth, then shut it very quickly, for it dawned on him that saying anything more might just prolong the farce. He picked up his pen, dipped it deep into the ink, and put a bold line through both names.

“You can go,” he said, looking down at the paper.

The two men didn’t move. The sergeant, who had faced battle crazed orcs that towered over him in battle, and had once put his sword into a creature the size of an Ogre and yet with the head of a rat, dare not look at them.

“You can go,” he repeated.

“Which one of us do you mean, sir sergeant?”

The sergeant slowly lowered his head until it came to a halt on the table. He realised the paper, with the great daub of ink upon it where he had scrawled out the two names, was now stuck to his forehead. He didn’t care.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 16, 2009, 10:08:12 PM
Hehehehehe :D very Pratchett!

Moslac, Central Border Princes IC 2524

Alphonse strolled down the main street of the town, all about him engineers and soldiers were labouring to rebuild the various shops and warehouses that made the town so profitable in more hospitable years.

He was dressed in a fresh set of clothes given to him by a kindly farming couple a few miles down the road in exchange for a beautiful Doe he had hunted in the nearby woods. The new clothes were mainly of peasant's style - coarse un-dyed woollen cloth and a simple belt of thin rope. His leather jerkin had been folded into a satchel, filled with food and hung on the end of his repeating crossbow.

There was one thing to say for these Dawnstridersm, the Nightman thought, they are extremely efficient, as if they were all Reiklanders. The recruiting Sergeant was sitting at a small desk in the town square that had seen so much bloodshed just a few weeks ago. The line didn't seem that long here to join up, perhaps the men of this town had had their fill of war. Not so Alphonse. He had heard tell from a guard on the gate that the gaudy foreigners had went north to fight the Black Don in the Empire. So the Nightman had fashioned the plan of joining the eastern Imperials on their way north, and see what he could do to help their enemies. He had once heard a travelling bard talk of the works of a great Tilean poet and philosopher, one phrase had stuck in his mind: 'The enemy of my enemy is my amico, si?'
"Name?" asked the Sergeant.

"Eric Klutzen" lied Alphonse

"Occupation?"

"I was a hunter before the war"

The Sergeant glanced up at Alphonse, taking in his weapon.

"That is an unorthodox crossbow hunter"

"Indeed it is, bought it from a travelling merchant six years ago in this very town"

"Mhmm" replied the recruiter. "Alright, you are accepted take this to the warehouse across the square" he stamped a piece of parchment with an ink block and dismissed the hunter from his mind.

The Nightman is back! And is being crafty like.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 16, 2009, 10:12:05 PM
Hehehehehe :D very Pratchett!

Oops! I've never read any Pratchet. I hope you don't think I'm stealing his style! It's just a stream of consciousness nonsense piece - I could write like that forever!
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Inarticulate on June 16, 2009, 10:14:15 PM
You haven't read any Terry Pratchett?

Blasphemy!

The thought honestly hadn't crossed my mind that you'd be copying him, but when I read the exchange I just thought Terry Pratchett.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on June 17, 2009, 02:09:20 AM
Don't feel like the lone ranger, Padre, I haven't read anything by Terry Practhett either.

By the way, this is some great comic relief for all the serious stuff we got going on with the Solland Effort and Border Prince threads.

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Uryens de Crux on June 17, 2009, 11:12:19 AM
I wouldnt liken it to Pratchett, who is a mimic anyway

More like Oliver and Hardy to my mind. Who were brilliant. Anyway, its good stuff Padre. :eusa_clap:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Fog Of Waagh on June 17, 2009, 05:22:34 PM
    The carts creaked and the horses grunted as they hauled the army forward. Those on foot stumbled and staggered, dragged their weapons and their feet, but either way they pressed on, following the mounted nobles and Arabs at the head of column.
     Ricardo did not know where to go, he was told by his translator that the letter he was to deliver was addressed to a "Baron Urydens De Crux." Ricardo did not know this man, nor even heard of him, but what he did know was, he wasn't in Kruetzhofen. Not far ahead of the formation of Estalians and Arabs, were the scouts, local boys. The Estalian translators gave them a very lucrative deal, lead the army to this Baron and they would be paid not in copper or silver, but in gold. This, for the Scouts, was an offer they could not put down, everyone in the town knew the Baron left for Wusterberg. They also knew they had already sent some strangers looking for the Baron in that direction. To them they did not care what the Estalians wanted to do with the Baron, but they did conclude he was a very popular man as of late. What they did care about was that the gold flowed, to which the Estalians were more then eager to provide.

    The Scouts pressed on and paved the way for the Estalians to follow. Ricardo was too eager to meet a new business partner, after all, time is money.

   
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Toro_Blanco on June 27, 2009, 06:59:21 AM
Ummenbach Pass

It was just before sunrise, and the camp of the Dawnstriders was quiet.  Alphonse was stretching, waking up as he usually did a bit before things got hectic.  He had been quickly moved into a crossbow detachment, his skills deemed too useful to waste on a grunt.  The unit had been ordered to move north, but no one was sure why.  He intended to scout out as much as he could, but just after he sat up his hopes were dashed.  A trumpet sounded out, and the soldiers around him snapped awake.  A voice rang out soon after, the familiar barking of Grandmaster Rheinhardt.  "Wake up, boys!  The war isn't going to wait for you!" Alphonse had to grudgingly admit, these men were disciplined, far more so than the mercenary companies and backwoods militia one normally encountered in the Borders.  The officers were almost entirely drawn from the former State Troops that had marched down from the Empire, and they had brought stout Imperial training methods with them.  By the time the sun was rising over the mountains, the soldiers were already breaking down their tents and packing their supplies.  He could see the general along with his two dwarfs and the grandmaster standing at a table, discussing their strategies.  Piping hot coffee was easily visible, though where the general procured it was another question entirely.  Alphonse suddenly saw the General glance to him, and nod to a guard.  The soldier walked over, and Alphonse began to contemplate if he would be able to make a run for it.  There turned out to be no need;
     "Private Klutzen?"  Alphonse nodded.  "General wishes to speak with you."  Alphonse followed him over to the table, where the general studied him through green eyes.  Alphonse offered a salute a bit later than he felt he should have; these Dawnstriders made Reiklanders seem relaxed at times.
     "You are, according to my recruitment papers, a skilled hunter and woodsman?"  Alphonse nodded.
     "Yes, sir."  Arathos nodded, looking over the paperwork.
     "Take five men from your company, and scout ahead.  We're getting close to the Empire, and we'll need to know what's in front of us.  I need to know the lay of the land, positions of any troops ahead, and their loyalties.  Report back as soon as you have a general idea, we'll be marching behind you."  Alphonse nodded, and saluted as he was dismissed.  He could barely hide the smirk forming as he did so.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on June 30, 2009, 07:29:13 PM
Between Zenres and the Howling River, the Border Princes

“I can see it, Lord and master Agrabog your greatness, I can see the road that leads to Mad Dog. It’s there, ahead of us.”

Agrabog squinted and raised his hand to his forehead, straining his eyes to see what the Bull claimed to see. The plains stretched out before him, dusty and barren, with only black flies and lizards to populate it hidden by a haze of heated air shimmering above the ground. Above the haze the distant mountain peaks rose, but he could see no road.

“Lad, if you can see a road, then you’ve better eyes than mine. All I see is hard, broken ground and thirsty marching.”

Agrabog turned to look at something he could see - his boys. The column stretched out some way behind him, but because of the way it curved to avoid a great dip in the ground, he could see all of it. His Bulls and Ironguts wore more armour than they had had when they came to this land, and their banners, proudly carried, had more decorations dangling from them. The scuttling gnoblars ran hither and thither, carrying, dragging, pushing and tugging, though pillaged livestock, of which only the most ragged and close to death survived, hauled the heavier wagons. Agrabog had looted towns and army camps, and been paid just to leave one. It had been a good time in the Border Princes, a thought which made him wonder why they were leaving.

“Jublig!” bellowed Agrabog.

The Ogre in question turned out to be a lot closer than Agrabog thought, and answered quietly, “Aye?”

“Jublig, remind me, why are we leaving the Border Princes.”

“Because you ordered it.”

“That I did,” said Agrabog. He pondered some more, and memories of the brief glimpse he had of the Empire in early spring came to mind, the walled and populous town, the green fields and the promise of rich rewards and looting. “But I never said where exactly we were going, did I?”

Jublig poked a finger into his nostril, which always helped him think. “No, that you did not say. Why, master, are we going the wrong way?”

“You’re a quick witted one ain’t you, Jublig? As quick and unstoppable as a mighty boulder lumbering down a slight slope.”

Jublig grinned. “I am a thinker, lord and chief,” he said, pulling a huge mass of compacted dust and snot from his nose.

Agrabog stepped up onto the nearest wagon and raised his hand to get everyone’s attention. Maybe it was the huge axe-like weapon it clutched, glinting in the sun, that really did the job or drawing the eyes of the army to him.

“Stop,” he shouted. “We ain’t going this way. We’re going that way.”

He pointed north, towards the land of the Empire.

“We’re gonna get even richer, mark my words and mark my axe. Even richer. When we leave we’ll have golden toothpicks and silver gutplates.”

A huge cheer, gruff and booming voices with a scattering of ululating squeals, was raised by these words, and every warrior in the army looked north and thought of the Empire.
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: Padre on August 21, 2009, 05:10:09 PM
North Eastern Border Princes

Agrabog’s army had fought it’s way north through the Border Princes and was now almost at the southern edge of the Mountains. His force was considerably diminished compared to the spring, when they had fought against the Black Company, but he was certain those who were left were the hardiest and best of his warriors and that would be enough.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/AgrabogReturns1.jpg)

He intended to take the pass that went by Khazid Hafak and enter the Empire at Ummenbach. If any dwarfs took it upon themselves to attempt to prevent him, he would sweep them aside. He had no idea of the grief stirred up by the earlier passage of the Black Company, nor that the dwarfs had subsequently mustered in strength to prevent any more such troubles. Instead his mind was filled with the thought of the riches he could acquire in a land such as the Empire during a time of war.

He marched at the head of his column (as was nearly always his habit) with his Butchers by his side. They were not his usual companions, but recently he had taken more interest in their magics and what they could contribute to battle. If any Ogrish exchange could be considered ‘deep’ then he was now deep in discussion with them now. All the Gnoblars nearby knew to keep their mouths shut, for Agrabog had been known to kill them merely for burping too loud, and was notoriously loath to hear their opinions.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/AgrabogReturns3.jpg)

His Ironguts and some of his Bulls marched behind him - the former having pride of place (being the regiment he himself chose to fight alongside, his bodyguard).

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/AgrabogReturns2.jpg)

Then came several wolf drawn wagons, none wolves limbered to each, carrying the best of the loot they had taken so far, and intended to bring a lot more back. The giant Bodo walked alongside the carts, knowing full well he could not allow himself to ride in one of them (having broken one the last time he tried).

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/AgrabogReturns4.jpg)

Finally came the gnoblars and their hulking Scrap Launcher. Agrabog had threatened to make a stew out of every one of the crew if they ever again fired off a shot whilst on he march ‘just for fun’. The last time they did, he had ended up showered with rusty daggers and broken swords. They didn’t hurt him (he was so well armoured) but the sudden clattering noise startled him and he had made him feel foolish. He had three gnoblars skewered on an old Black Company pike and fastened to the Scrap Launcher after that just to teach the others a lesson.

(http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/padrissimus/AgrabogReturns5.jpg)

Battle tomorrow with Uryens: I’m Agrabog and he’s the dwarfs of Khazid Hafak. 2750 points. I’ll try to find time for a report. Kinda hoping Agrabog’s force is too damaged to make any sort of entrance into the Solland theatre of war, because of the massive thread and story to keep a track of there! But I will still try my best.

[edit] see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=30308.0 for the Battle of Ummenbach Pass
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on August 21, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
After six weeks of "all quiet" on the Border Prince front ... ta da! :icon_biggrin:

And just when things are beginning to reach a rising cresendo on the Ex-Solland thread as well!

Good timing Padre. :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:
Title: Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
Post by: GamesPoet on December 18, 2017, 03:14:52 PM
I had forgotten about this thread until seeing reference to it in "The Solland Effort of 2524" thread, and decided to raise it for those who might enjoy.

It seems the pictures have currently all gone the way of the photoschmucket mess though.  When I have a moment, I'll check to see if any of them are mine, which is doubtful being I rarely post photos.  If anyone else can take time to add "~original" right after jpg in each of their photos, that could help restore this thread to its former glory.

I imagine there are other good threads that could use such help as well.