Warhammer-Empire.com

Imperial Artisans => The Imperial Office => Topic started by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:56:51 AM

Title: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:56:51 AM
Shadows over Bogenhafen

The year is 2512. Emperor Karl-Franz has already been on the throne for ten years, and his reign has brought peace and prosperity to The Empire. The greatest nation in the Old World stands firm against the enemies that threaten it from all sides. But what about the enemy within?


(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/advert1.jpg~original)


Bogenhafen is a prosperous trading town on the river Bogen in the Reikland. It is ruled by a council dominated by guild leaders and powerful merchant families. Every year, the Schaffenfest draws visitors from all over The Empire.  This year, it has attracted a small group of adventurers who have little idea of what fate has in store for them:

Heinrich Kanone des Untergangs, a bounty hunter
Mortus Basanduine, a wizard's apprentice
Klaus Metzger, a professional gambler
Julian Stonebridge, a dwarf engineer
Friedrich von Hersting, a minor nobleman


Julian has a map of the town, which conveniently also shows the rough layout of the Schaffenfest by the east gate.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/map3.jpg~original)
[missed off the bottom: 38 = mourner's guild, 39 = tailor's guild]

If you can't read the map, maybe try downloading it?  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/map3.jpg


The adventure starts soon!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 11:45:05 AM
Welcome to Bogenhafen!

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/BGhPIC2.jpg~original)


The mid day sun is beating down on your heads as you arrive at the town of Bogenhafen. The weather has been steadily becoming warmer and warmer over the past few days, and it is now almost unbearable - it feels more like high summer than spring. But, the sight of the Schaffenfest laid out before you - a bright and noisy mess that runs along the outside of the town wall - fills you with excitement. The first day of the fair is only half over, but it is already packed with people from all over Reikland. The smell of livestock and unwashed, sweating bodies competes with the stench of spilled beer and the exotic scents rising from merchant stalls. Musicians are waging a cacophonous battle for your attention, forcing the stallholders to shout at the top of their voices to be heard. Away from the clamor of the public areas, the sun gleams off the armour of jousting knights, while nobles look on.

There are a lot of things to see here. What catches your attention first?

- the livestock market
- the freak show
- the wrestling ring
- the beer tent
- the food stalls
- the merchant stalls
- the entertainers and fortune tellers
- the gambling tent
- the jousting lists
- the festival law court, stocks and whipping post
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 25, 2012, 12:35:33 PM
After such a long and hot travel, I suggest we make our way to the beer and food tents to quench our thirst and quell our grumbling stomachs.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 12:39:55 PM
Klaus proclaims that it is a  great idea even though he seems a bit relcutant to go to the tent. "I would like to invite you nice fellows for the first round of beer....to celebrate the good travel company you were and that the gods lead us here secure and in one piece."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 25, 2012, 01:05:31 PM
"If there is a fine wine I might be interested," Mortus says, though her eyes are already wandering towards the merchant's stalls.   She pauses to consider.   "And some stew.   You can't get enough of a good stew."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 01:09:22 PM
I heard of a Halfing who ate so much stew that he died of it....so basically I guess you CAN have enough of stew.

I am sure they will have some wine though most likely it wonīt be too fine...or I wonīt be able to afford it to invite you dear Mortus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 25, 2012, 01:14:45 PM
Mortus laughs, a merry tinkling sound.

Fine can mean many different things my friend.   My tastes are not that expensive, anything that is not pure vinger will do
(OOC) I have not posted the background for Mortus yet but it is enough to say she is not very finely dressed.   Halflings always think that they know best when it comes to food.   No doubt the poor fellow was stuffing himself and not giving enough time for it to pass through the system properly
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: prouddiagram on May 25, 2012, 04:39:29 PM
Friedrich: A surfeit of stew is surely a most ignoble death. I shall have to restrict my appetites to cheese and wine lest people think me a glutton. (Slaps his non existent belly.) I'm sure we will procure a suitable repast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 09:55:17 PM
The beer tent is easy to find. It's very large and striped in purple and white... and packed with revelers. A variety of different food stalls stand alongside it, the different cooking smells combining in a way that's either enticing or disgusting.

One food stall offers 'Max's Glorious Rabbit pies' and is run by a sweating halfling in an enormous chef's hat. Another, run by a sour-faced woman, sells 'Karina's traditional Reikland sausage rolls.' A third, owned by a man with a hideous beard, has no sign and carries a huge pot of stew. Other stalls are selling various types of meat, soup, stew, cheese, or bread. There's even a confused-looking Cathayan selling sweet and sour... something.

The beer tent is so full that you will have to push your way in to get served.

Beer costs 9d a pint. Food costs between 1/- and 1/6, depending on how big a meal you want.


Quote from: Background information
Imperial currency

1 gold crown = 20 silver shillings = 240 brass pennies
1 shilling = 12 pennies

Notation: 1GC = 20/- = 240d
So
12GC 17/9 = 12 crowns, 17 shillings and 9 pence
6/- = 6 shillings only
6/4 = 6 shillings and 4 pence
5d = 5 pence only
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 10:06:21 PM
Klaus starts to push himself into the mass of bodies to get the beer for the others pushing and shoving towards other people smiling and exchanging pleasantries about how fantastic this whole event is....
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:11:21 PM
As Klaus pushes his way through the crowd, his foot collides with an overturned chair and he stumbles.

Make an I test! (equal or less than your I score on a d100).
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 10:12:48 PM
OOC: I rolled a 60 so I guess I failed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 25, 2012, 10:14:16 PM
Mortus will attempt to find a table for them to sit at and if she finds one will sit cleaning her nails with a knife
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:26:04 PM
Klaus trips and crashes into a large, bald man who's wearing a stained vest. The man is knocked over (which in turn knocks over a couple of other people), and Klaus lands on the floor next to him. The bald man has dropped his beer, and unfortunately has also landed in a puddle of vomit.

He roars with rage, and makes a clumsy grab for Klaus (which misses). Klaus is back on his feet in a moment. He's surrounded by people who are either glaring with disapproval or excitedly waiting for a fight to start. The bald man is trying to stand up, but is having difficulty.

What does Klaus do next?


Meanwhile, Mortus finds a battered table behind the beer tent, covered in empty beer flagons. A ratty-looking dog lying under the table looks pathetically at her, hoping to be fed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
Klaus will try to sweet talk the bald man about how bad of a mistake all of it is while he grabs for a near stein and will smash it into the face of the bald man if he tries to grab him again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:33:23 PM
Make a Fel test to see if you can calm the man down.

[don't forget your luck skill by the way]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 10:39:20 PM
I rolled 46. my fellowship score is 36
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:42:20 PM
[you can modify that by -10% if you use your luck skill, which would allow you to pass. Your choice.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 25, 2012, 10:46:18 PM
If he chooses not to succeed, and if I notice the commotion, I will move to see what is going on.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 25, 2012, 10:48:35 PM
Mortus will also look up if there is commotion though she will not move to interfere.   She hunts in her belt pouch for any hard bread or scraps she could have and if she has any throws one to the dog
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 10:51:28 PM
I would like to use my luck as there is no need for violence.....

"Good man let me invite you to another beer and apologize sincerely for th mishap!"

Klaus still holds on to the stein ready to turn the face of the bald man into a bloody ruin.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 25, 2012, 10:57:33 PM
I would like to use my luck as there is no need for violence.....

"Good man let me invite you to another beer and apologize sincerely for th mishap!"

Klaus still holds on to the stein ready to turn the face of the bald man into a bloody ruin.

If there is no commotion I move to join the witch at the table.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 10:59:50 PM
Fortunately, the man is extremely drunk and is barely capable of standing, let alone fighting. He cheerfully accepts Klaus's offer of a new drink (and a hand up, if offered). "Fanks mate," he says, "you're a good pal!" The onlookers sigh with disappointment and get back to drinking.

[luck use!]

With the situation defused, Klaus makes it to the bar at last. A harassed-looking barmaid (one of her blonde pig-tails has come undone, and her dress is stained with beer) snaps at him, "how many?"


Outside, Mortus throws some scraps of food to the dog. It wolfs them down, and then licks her hand. It almost certainly has flees.

Heinrich joins her at the table.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 25, 2012, 11:06:47 PM
Heinrich motions to catch the attention of Friedrich and Julian, to get them to rest at the table for a moment.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 25, 2012, 11:07:10 PM
"make that six beer wench and better be quick about it!" Klaus snaps venting part of his fear and anger he just experienced. He counts out the coins and tips the bartender if she is quick about the business and wonīt if she isnīt. If he receives his beers he will bring one of them to baldy offering it to him asking for his name and if he would be up for a game of dices later on...hopefully making good use of his stupor and taking off some money of him.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 25, 2012, 11:17:44 PM
Julian makes his way to Klaus to help carry the beers.

'ah I wonder if this is good and hoppy. All the best beers are. Then again all the best beers are dwarven! Ha'

Julian guffaw at his own jest. He loves to teae humans about dwarven superiority, more joking than serious.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 25, 2012, 11:30:48 PM
The barmaid rapidly pours out six flagons of beer and puts them in front of Klaus with a thud that splashes him with foam. She demands the money in the same brisk way she asked for his order. Once he's paid, she hurries off to serve another patron.

The bald man has gone by the time Klaus returns to where he was (most likely he's gone outside to relieve himself). Instead, he finds Julian waiting to help carry the beer. The two of them leave the beer tent and join the others at the table outside.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 25, 2012, 11:43:58 PM
Hurray Beer!  :::cheers:::

Heinrick takes his and gulps down a huge swig, then wipes the foam from his mouth and sets the flagon down with a thunk.

"Well, since we're here during Schaffenfest, we may wish to take in some of the festivities! I'd like to make my way over to the Festival Courts to see if the locals need an extra hand in exchange for some coin, but that can wait until we've enjoyed some of the revelries."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 26, 2012, 04:14:43 AM
Klaus too gulps down several large swallows before he states:

"I definately want to see the Freaks....always liked watching those, incredible with what wonders the gods filled the world. I also would like to visit the gamblers den I have a feeling that Ranald is watching over me today. Anyone up to join me?`"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 26, 2012, 11:16:12 AM
Mortus sips the beer and then pushes it away from her.   She leans back.

"I would be interested in a little game of luck," she says quietly.   "But I also need to find a walking stick.   I will wander around the stalls for a while first."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 27, 2012, 02:33:46 AM
"I guess it would be best if we at least stay in small groups....that fat baldy wonīt be the only drunk bully who is out for some fight."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 27, 2012, 03:54:55 AM
Heinrick finishes his beer with a gulp, then lets out a loud belch.

"Alright, we three can make our way to the merchant stalls. I'd like to see what kind of armor they have. I'll head over to the Festival Courts on my own, then try to secure us some lodging for the evening, though I doubt we'll find a spare bed left in this town. We can meet up back here just before nightfall. Friedrick and Julian? Care to join us?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 27, 2012, 10:48:38 AM
I'd like to go ti the entertainment and see a fortune teller... I'm happy to go on my own unless friedrick wants to join me? If not I'll meet you at the merchants stalls later.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 27, 2012, 10:37:08 PM
Julian sets off by himself towards an area of the fair that is packed with entertainers. An Arabian fire-eater is astonishing a group of children by projecting jets of multi-coloured flames from his mouth. Nearby, a singer accompanies himself on the lute as he sings 'Sigmar and the Goats,' a popular but disgusting folk tune.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/musicians2.png~original)

As Julian wanders around, he notices a dog trainer who has taught four dogs of different sizes to stand on each others backs to make a dog pyramid. An especially raucous crowd surrounds two woman dressed as pantomime knights, riding large pigs in a mock joust. One of the woman is knocked from her mount and lands in a pile of dung, to the great hilarity of the crowd.

Shaking his head at the bizarre behavior of humans, Julian decides to look for a reputable-looking fortune teller. He is surprised to see a tent decorated with dwarf runes, and goes to investigate it. Inside, he discovers a dwarf sage seated behind a crystal ball.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/sage.png~original)

"Come in sir," he says, "I am Sven Axewarden, Seer and Astronomer. It is good to meet a brother dwarf - I see by your clothing that you also live among the humans. They are strange people, are they not? Difficult to understand and to like." He smiles, and then gestures towards the crystal ball. "Yet you have not come here to talk of humans. You seek to know the future! You have chosen well by entering my tent: my divinations are of the highest quality. And for a brother dwarf, I will charge only two shillings."

Julian agrees to pay [presumably]. As he opens his money bag, he discovers that the draw string is loose! Eight shillings are missing, probably stolen while he was watching the entertainers [successful pickpocket test by thief]. Since there is no chance now of recovering the money, he puts it out of his mind and pays Sven the two shillings.

"Thank you sir, sit down, please. This will take but a moment."

Sven stares intently into the crystal for some minutes. His brow furrows, and a look of confusion passes across his face. "I see a dark place - narrow, and by water. I see a death there... wait, there is more... I see the sign of the rose, red with blood... I see terrible danger." He looks up suddenly, his eyes wide. "You should leave this town, brother! There is evil here - unnatural evil."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 27, 2012, 11:04:12 PM
Heinrich, Mortus, Friedrich and Klaus set off for the merchant stalls. The dog is still following Mortus, until suddenly a large ram charges past, having apparently escaped from the livestock market. The dog races off after the ram, and is soon lost to sight. Two red-faced farmers run past, also chasing the ram.

Carrying on, they reach the merchant area just as a four-man watch patrol is leaving it. The watchmen wear leather armour surmounted by a yellow tabard bearing the town's coat of arms, and two of them carry halberds. One of them glares suspiciously at Klaus, but on seeing the richly-dressed Friedrich beside him he looks away and the patrol continue on their way.

A wide variety of goods are on sale at the various stalls. A bald man with a disturbingly wide mouth smirks at the group as they pass his herbalist's stall.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/shop.png~original)


Heinrich is interested in buying armour, and finds a well-stocked stall run by a tall man with an Ostermark accent. He sees a fine sallet helm for sale - the Ostermarker is charging 10 GC, but perhaps Heinrich can bargain him down [Cannon, please make a Fel test].

Mortus wants to buy a weighted walking stick that can serve as an effective club. After asking at a couple of weapon stalls, she finds one run by a ginger man with a deep scar across his face. He offers her a very acceptable walking stick - but he wants 15 shillings for it, which seems expensive [Commandant, also make a Fel test to lower the price!].

If Klaus and Friedrich are interested in buying anything specific, they can do so now.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 27, 2012, 11:20:49 PM
Mortus weights up the stick.   (Fel 71)

"I was looking for something slightly longer," she says.   "Maybe as tall as me so that I could tie a bag to the top when I'm walking.   Would you have something like that"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 27, 2012, 11:29:27 PM
The man snorts and turns his back on Mortus as he searches his stock. He knocks over a box of scrap metal, some of which lands on his foot, causing him to curse loudly. A moment later he slams a longer walking stick onto the counter in front of her. "Longest one I got," he grunts, "cost 17 shillings. Want it or not?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 27, 2012, 11:42:24 PM
"17 shillings is a lot," Mortus says picking it up and examining it.   "Though the craftwork is very fine."   She feels to see if it is weighted at one end.   "I could give you 12 for it?" she offers.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 27, 2012, 11:44:20 PM
The man glares at her for what seems a very long time. Then he says "14."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 27, 2012, 11:52:51 PM
"Fourteen seems a fair price" Mortus says.   She hands over the money
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 12:00:10 AM
The ginger man takes the money without a word, and hands over the staff. It's a good weapon and should serve Mortus well [counts as a hand weapon].


While Heinrich is bargaining over the helm, he suddenly feels something tugging at his money pouch. He reacts at once, spinning around and grabbing for the pickpocket's wrist [failed pickpocket test by thief, successful Dex test by Heinrich]. The thief is a scrawny young man in ragged clothes. He struggles against Heinrich's grip, but is unable to escape. "Please let me go sir," he says, "I dint mean nothin by it! Me hand brushed up on your purse. Honest sir!"

It occurs to Heinrich that he could turn the thief in at the Festival Court, since he was planning to go there anyway, and possibly receive a reward. He might need a witness though - Klaus and Friedrich are nearby and saw enough of what happened. But maybe it isn't worth the trouble.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 04:59:35 AM
Heinrich smirks at the boy. "If you meant nothing by it, you shouldn't have tried it!" Heinrich smacks the boy heavily across the face, sending him whirling into the dirt. "There are men who would cut your hands off for less than that, but I am not overly concerned with petty thieves, else I would drag you to the festival courts myself." Heinrich tosses a pair of shillings into the dirt next to the boy. "Go get yourself some food and find a less dangerous occupation."

Having dealt with the little cutpurse, Heinrich secures his coin purse more tightly than before and tucks it inside his tunic for extra safety, cursing at himself for not doing so earlier. He should have known such a crowd would attract thieving riffraff from miles around.

Having secured his coin Heinrich inspects the Sallet helm more thoroughly, and makes an offer to the vendor: "The quality is adequate, but the price is a bit too steep. Surely you could part with this for only 5." (Fellowship 51)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 08:38:29 AM
The thief struggles up to his knees, blood pouring from his broken nose. He grabs the two shillings Heinrich threw to him, stands and scurries off, muttering 'Ranald bless you sir."

The armour stall owner looks at Heinrich with a trace of respect. Nevertheless, he refuses to lower the price on the helm. "I can't sell that for no less than 10. But I got another one as might suit." He rummages around under the counter and produces another sallet helm. This one is less well-made, but clearly more than solid enough. It's been painted black to prevent rust. "6 crowns for this one. Special price for you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 08:54:01 AM
The thief struggles up to his knees, blood pouring from his broken nose. He grabs the two shillings Heinrich threw to him, stands and scurries off, muttering 'Ranald bless you sir."

The armour stall owner looks at Heinrich with a trace of respect. Nevertheless, he refuses to lower the price on the helm. "I can't sell that for no less than 10. But I got another one as might suit." He rummages around under the counter and produces another sallet helm. This one is less well-made, but clearly more than solid enough. It's been painted black to prevent rust. "6 crowns for this one. Special price for you."

Heinrich considers for a moment.

"Hmmm, how about I give you 12 for the pair of them?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 09:00:55 AM
The man looks surprised. "What for, you got two heads pal? Still, your choice. I'll sell you the pair for 12 crowns."

Heinrich is fairly sure he's made a good buy here. But he's spend most of his money.

[are you ready to head to the court, and are you going alone?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 09:06:55 AM
The man looks surprised. "What for, you got two heads pal? Still, your choice. I'll sell you the pair for 12 crowns."

Heinrich is fairly sure he's made a good buy here. But he's spend most of his money.

[are you ready to head to the court, and are you going alone?]

Heinrich tucks the helmets away in his rucksack, advises his companions that he's off to the courts, and sets out, feeling happy about his successful haggle, and looking forward to recouping his spending with a little bounty chasing.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 10:32:20 AM
The Festival Court is at the far end of the fair, near Bogenhafen's postern gate. Heinrich leaves the packed area around the merchant stalls and passes through a more open - but still bustling - space. On his left, he sees a roped-off area that looks like a wrestling ring. A garishly-dressed showman is trying to encourage people to fight the champion - a mountain of a man who is drenched in sweat and breathing heavily, as though near exhaustion.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/fighter1.jpg~original)

"Step this way and make five whole crowns! Just last three minutes in the ring with the champion. Only five shillings to try your strength - turn that into five gold crowns! Or even ten if you win the fight! You can't lose! How about you sir? No? You'll kick yourself later you missed this chance. How about you? Show the lady what a man you are!"

A small group of drunken nobles has gathered by the ring, and one of them accepts the challenge. He strips off his silk shirt and leaps into the ring -  he looks like a child compared to the enormous champion. Heinrich chuckles to himself - he's seen this stunt many times before. The champion is only pretending to be tired, and will beat the young noble easily. Serve him right too.

Heinrich continues walking. A large crowd is gathering on his right, near a group of covered wagons. There's a brightly painted sign on one of them that he can't read, but another outlandishly dressed showman is standing on a box and addressing the onlookers.

"In just one hour, Doctor Malthusius's world famous Zoocopeia will be open for your education and astonishment! One shilling buys you entry to the wonder of the age! See creatures from your darkest nightmares and your wildest dreams! Don't miss the chance of a lifetime! The show begins in one hour!"

Passing the freakshow, Heinrich at lasts arrives at the Festival Court. The court (held in a large tent with the town's arms on the side) has been established to handle disputes and crimes taking place at the Schaffenfest, to avoid overloading the town courts. A single magistrate enacts summary judgements - usually fines, but the alternative for those who cannot pay can be seen outside the court. On a wooden platform are two sets of stocks and a whipping post. One set of stocks is currently occupied by a filthy, pathetic-looking dwarf. His face is bruised, and a giggling pack of children are throwing horse dung at him.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/dwarf1.jpg~original)

Two watchmen armed with halberds guard the entrance to the court. They allow Heinrich inside when he tells them he is a bounty hunter looking for work.

Two more guards are inside the tent, flanking a ratty-looking boy of about seventeen. A grey-haired, stern faced man who can only be the magistrate is seated behind a heavy desk. "Hans Stiller, you have been found guilty of theft to the value of five crowns, fourteen shillings and two pence. You are hereby fined the sum of ten crowns."

"I can't pay that, your worship. I ain't got no money - that's why I stole what I did."

The magistrate bangs his staff of office on the desk. "If you cannot pay, you are sentenced in the alternative to two dozen lashes at the whipping post. Take him away."

The boy is dragged outside, begging pitifully for mercy. The magistrate looks at Heinrich, and says, "You are a bounty hunter, I presume? Speak to the clerk."

Heinrich is approached by a small man with beady eyes and ink-stained fingers. "Most of the bounties are handled by the town court" he says, his voice high-pitched and condescending," but we have one job on the books. This morning, one Jan Buchner of Carroburg was arrested under suspicion of attempted murder. He assaulted Viscount Philippe de Savoie of Paravon at the jousting lists, and left the Viscount bady beaten. He protested his innocence, naturally," the clerk pulls a face, as if the concept of innocence disgusts him, "but he broke away from the guards before his trial could be completed, and escaped into the town. You may be able to find him in the docks, since he arrived in town by boat."

The clerk looks through some papers. "Here is a description - ah, you cannot read, I suppose. Allow me: Jan Buchner, aged about twenty-seven. Medium build, height approximately five foot eight inches. Brown hair, short. Clean-shaven. Brown eyes. Pox scars on face. Strong Middenlander accent. Wearing an unbleached shirt and brown hose. He is a fugitive from justice, and so may be returned dead or alive. The bounty is 40 crowns. It's important that this job is completed quickly. The honour of the town is at stake."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 12:37:42 PM
Heinrich takes the paper, though the clerk is correct that he cannot read it. He repeats the description the clerk gave him to himself a few times in order to commit it to memory. "Sir, if I may ask, dwarfs are not well known for their dishonesty. What is that one's crime?" Heinrich gestures at the tent wall in the general direction of the dwarf in stocks outside.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 12:46:20 PM
The clerk looks briefly mystified. Then he remembers: "Ah, the dwarf. One Gottri-" he consults his papers "Gurnisson. Arrest for extreme drunkenness and offenses to public decency. His fine is only one crown, but he can't pay and so will remain in the stocks for a good few hours more. Unless someone pays if for him of course!" The clerk laughs, as if the idea is absurd.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 01:00:56 PM
Having made her purchases Mortus will make her way over to the festival court.   Her moneybag firmly inside her tunic.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 28, 2012, 07:15:56 PM
Julian smirks to himself, before quickly changing his expression to a look of shock.

This is exactly the sort of thing which always drew Julian to fortune tellers. The unmitigated doom and gloom to shock and surprise patrons amused the opitimistically natured dwarf.

Julian decides to play along with the charade.

"but.. leave? I have only just arrived. Surely nothing bad can occur when the Schaffenfest is in town? I have some urgent business to attend to here... Can you tell me any more about this danger?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 10:02:36 PM
Mortus sets off for the court shortly after Heinrich. She passes the wrestling area as an unconscious nobleman is being dragged from the ring and the champion raises his arms in triumph. The showman is already trying to encourage someone else to take on the champion, but the crowd look wary after seeing him in action.

Continuing, she passes the freakshow. One of the wagons carries a banner that reads 'Doctor Malthusius' Zoocopeia - strange creatures from all corners of the world! The marvellous, the bizarre, the disgusting - brought to you at enormous expense - no other like it in the world!' The Doctor himself is doing his best to draw attention to the show, which opens in just under an hour.

Mortus arrives at the Festival Court to find that a crowd has gathered around the whipping post, and is counting along enthusiastically (though some don't seem to know their numbers well) as each lash falls. The victim is a teenaged boy, and he cries out pitifully as he is struck.

Close by are two sets of stocks, one of which holds a battered-looking dwarf. He catches Mortus's eye as she draws near, and begins pleading, "Miss, please, will you help me? I need one crown to get out of these stocks - please?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 10:09:09 PM
Sven shakes his head vigorously. Standing up, he puts his hands on Julian's shoulders and looks directly into his eyes - he seems genuinely afraid. "Brother," he says, "please do not mistake me for a fraud. The dark moon is rising over the town, and the direst evils are awakening. I have never seen the signs so clearly written! If you stay here you risk death and damnation! I intend to leave tonight. Listen: the first to die will be a dwarf!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 10:10:55 PM
"What is your crime?" Mortus asks the dwarf.   There is something about him that intrigues her though she is not sure why.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 10:14:35 PM
"Nothing miss - I just got a bit too drunk, that's all. But there are a lot of drunk people here and they aren't in the stocks. The watchmen arrested me because I'm a dwarf. They stole my money too, so I couldn't pay the fine. Please, will you help me miss?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 10:17:11 PM
Mortus will go inside and ask about the dwarf in the stocks
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 10:24:44 PM
Mortus asks the guards at the court entrance about the dwarf, and they tell her to speak to the clerk inside. She goes into the tent and finds Heinrich speaking to the clerk - surprisingly, they are talking about the dwarf. Heinrich has just asked what the dwarf's crime was, and the clerk - who is clearly contemptuous of this dwarf in particular, and perhaps of all dwarfs - confirms that he was arrested for drunkenness and can be released if his fine of one gold crown is paid.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 11:00:52 PM
Heinrich, being from the multicultural Altdorf, is offended by the man's racism.

"I will pay his fine." Heinrich digs a crown out of his much diminished purse and drops it into the clerk's hand.
"See to his release."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 11:08:17 PM
The clerk's jaw drops. He looks down at the coin in his hand, seemingly unable to speak. When he finds his voice at last, he says, "You - you are willing to pay this derelict's fine? I suppose justice is satisfied then - Pietr! Go and let the dwarf out of the stocks. Tell him his fine is paid and he's free to go." One of the guards nods and heads outside.

"Now, if you are finished wasting your time and money on dwarfs, I suggest you get on with looking for your target. Good day to you." The clerk turns away, taking the gold coin to the court's money chest.

Heinrich now notices that Mortus has come into the court.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 28, 2012, 11:21:27 PM
The effect of Sven's plea was unnerving- Julian had felt a palpable sense of fear form his fellow dwarf. Still trying to maintain his blase attitude, Julian attempts to reassure the fortune teller before hastily exiting the tent, feeling a certain level of unease.

He can't shake the words "The first to die will be a dwarf" from his head, and he feels quite lightheaded as the bright sunlight dazzles his eyes after being in the dark of Sven's tent.


Julian rests on a small knoll for a while until the sounds of revelry and laughter, and the bright sunshine, start to bring back his spirits, where he is resolved to head to the merchants stalls to meet up with the others, as they had discussed.

(If I am too late to find them at the stalls, I will ask after them and follow on to the court?)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
The clerk's jaw drops. He looks down at the coin in his hand, seemingly unable to speak. When he finds his voice at last, he says, "You - you are willing to pay this derelict's fine? I suppose justice is satisfied then - Pietr! Go and let the dwarf out of the stocks. Tell him his fine is paid and he's free to go." One of the guards nods and heads outside.

"Now, if you are finished wasting your time and money on dwarfs, I suggest you get on with looking for your target. Good day to you." The clerk turns away, taking the gold coin to the court's money chest.

Heinrich now notices that Mortus has come into the court.

"Ah! Mortus! What brings you here?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 11:25:53 PM
"The dwarf outside hailed me as I went past," Mortus replies with a strange glint in her eye.   "I thought I would investigate the case, and you, what reason have you for being here?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 11:31:02 PM
"The dwarf outside hailed me as I went past," Mortus replies with a strange glint in her eye.   "I thought I would investigate the case, and you, what reason have you for being here?"

"Looking for a piece of honest work, actually. They offered a 40 crown bounty for this fellow."

Heinrich hands her the paper with the bounty description.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 11:34:18 PM
Mortus takes the paper and reads it.   

"Honest work," she says, laughing.   "You want a hand looking for him?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 11:35:26 PM
[Finlay]

Julian is unable to reassure Sven - the fortune teller has already started packing his things as Julian leaves the tent.

But outside, amongst the noise and chaos of the fair, it's hard to believe in prophecies of doom. Julian searches among the merchant stalls for his companions. After a while, he finds Klaus, who is at a gunsmith's stall looking longingly at pistols he can't afford. He tells Julian that Heinrich and Mortus have both gone to the Festival Court.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 28, 2012, 11:39:06 PM
Mortus takes the paper and reads it.   

"Honest work," she says, laughing.   "You want a hand looking for him?"

"Another pair of eyes would be useful, and this poor bastard shouldn't be too dangerous. Shall we head towards the docks and ask around for him?"

Heinrich pulls the black helm from his bag and dons it as he exits the tent.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 28, 2012, 11:43:18 PM
Mortus follows Heinrich wordlessly
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 11:44:06 PM
[Fandir]

Klaus asks at a number of weapon stalls, but none of them sell firearms. Eventually, he is directed to a reinforced stall guarded by a pair of mercenaries, each carrying a blunderbuss. The stall owner - a gunsmith - looks dubiously at Klaus as he approaches. "Good afternoon sir," he says, "are you looking to purchase a pistol, perhaps? I am afraid that they are expensive weapons - though very much worth the cost. The cheapest I have is 100 crowns. Would you like me to show it to you?"

As the gunsmith is showing Klaus a small but very fine pistol - no doubt simply for the opportunity to boast of his skill - Julian arrives, asking if Klaus has seen the other members of the group.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 28, 2012, 11:52:18 PM
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus leave the tent and step back into the afternoon sunshine. Gottri Gurnisson has been released, and comes up to them with a wide smile on his filthy face. "Sir, miss, thank you for your kindness!" he exclaims, "it is truly wonderful to find such charity in this unfriendly town. Can I do anything to repay you?"

The young thief has also been released, his punishment completed. He is staggering away towards the fair, his shirt in his hand, his back criss-crossed with bloody welts. Heinrich has seen enough of the law to know the punishment was relatively lenient - it is not uncommon for thieves to face mutilation or even execution for lesser thefts than the boy had committed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 29, 2012, 12:20:54 AM
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus leave the tent and step back into the afternoon sunshine. Gottri Gurnisson has been released, and comes up to them with a wide smile on his filthy face. "Sir, miss, thank you for your kindness!" he exclaims, "it is truly wonderful to find such charity in this unfriendly town. Can I do anything to repay you?"

The young thief has also been released, his punishment completed. He is staggering away towards the fair, his shirt in his hand, his back criss-crossed with bloody welts. Heinrich has seen enough of the law to know the punishment was relatively lenient - it is not uncommon for thieves to face mutilation or even execution for lesser thefts than the boy had committed.

"Your thanks is not necessary friend. I think justice was served on your misdeed, and seeing you released now was only fair. Do not be too harshminded toward these simple folk. They have not known as many of your noble kind as I have. I'm actually a bit surprised they had any spirits in this town strong enough to inebriate a dwarf!" Heinrich chuckles at his own joke.

"Perhaps you can help us. I've been charged to bring a fugitive to justice, perhaps you know something of him?" Heinrick recites the man's description from memory.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 06:34:23 AM
"Ah what a fine weapon you surely understand your trade good man, you know my half brother was taken for the pistoliers corps on his 16th birthday, what a dashing picture it was seeing him riding and shooting those pistols....well it was also his end, some border dispute with them Stirlanders." Klaus only has seen someone pull a pistol out during a tavern brawl that turned bloody, after the companion of the person was knifed he pulled out two pistols and shot the others, a crack and some smoke and they were down, such power in such a small weapon had Klaus fascinated from that moment.

"Oh Julian...well I think they wanted to go to the festival court, though I am not sure they are still there. Shall I join you searching them?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 08:22:33 AM
[cannon and commandant]

Gottri listens carefully to the description. After a moment he shakes his head, looking sad that he cannot help his benefactors. "No, sir, I know nothing about this man. I wish I could do something to discharge my obligation... wait, I have an idea! I was at the docks yesterday when the boats from Carroburg arrived. They landed at Haagen's Warf, on the Ostendamm. There's a tavern near there called the Squid and Rabbit. That would be a good place to start your search. Thank you again, both of you!" Gottri bows, and then sets off towards the fair. He looks unsteady on his feet, but whether that is due to his ordeal or because he is still drunk is hard to tell.


[Fandir and Finlay]

Since Heinrich and Mortus left only a short time ago, you think you will be able to catch up with them if you leave now.


[prouddiagram]

[If you are still playing, this would be a good time to say something!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 29, 2012, 08:30:20 AM
Mortus and I head off toward the riverfront to locate the tavern Gottri mentioned.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 09:04:50 AM
"I think if we hurry we might be able to find them. Lets fasten our pace" Klaus proclaims with a smile and without waiting for Julian starts to hurry after them.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 09:10:28 AM
[Fandir and Finlay]

Julian and Klaus decide to go to the Festival Court in the hope of catching up with the others. The afternoon is becoming hotter all the time, the sun beating down on their heads and their clothes sticking to them with sweat. They pass the wrestling show just as a new competitor enters the ring to face the champion - this time it's a drunken caravan guard. He looks big enough to have a chance against the champion, but he's probably too unsteady on his feet.

As they pass the freak show, they see that one of the cages has been uncovered, and hunched, mean-looking dwarf who is presumably the Doctor's assistant is pushing some food through the bars. Inside the cage is a small goblin with three legs.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/golibn.jpg)

The creatures is an astonishing and unsettling sight. The dwarf spits on it and jabs it cruelly with a sharpened stick, causing it to thrash around and shake the cage. The Doctor sees this and yells at his assistant to leave the creature alone. The dwarf sulkily does as he is told, and re-covers the cage.

A boy staggers past Julian and Klaus, his back bloody with whip marks. They arrive at the court in time to see Heinrich and Mortus talking to a dirty-looking dwarf. The dwarf bows, and heads off towards the fair - he will pass Julian and Klaus in a moment. Heinrich and Mortus seem to be about to leave.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 11:35:22 AM
Klaus is amazed by the goblin and stops to look at it and hopes to see the next cage revealed too.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 29, 2012, 12:16:20 PM
Julian spits at the ground near the goblin, feeling his ancestral hate rise. However, the cruelty does not appeal to Julian: He would be happier to see a goblin die in combat.

"Heinrich and Mortus, good to see you. You found any work, bounty hunter? I'd like to see the freak show, and also watch some of the wrestling, but I'd hate to miss out on an adventure, or think I was absent when you needed my skills."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 29, 2012, 12:22:20 PM
"Heinrich found something," Mortus agrees.   She looks towards ths covered cages with mild disgust.   "I have no interest in the freaks," she says.   "But we should figure somewhere to meet later if you are going to look at them.   I heard of a fine inn that is meant to have free rooms and fine food and drink.   Personally I don't believe a word of the rubbish that was sprouted.   There are too many people here for any inn to be free, but if you want to look at it I'm happy to.   I would suggest that we meet back at the Festival Court at nightfall if we do no meet before then."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 12:24:25 PM
"Adventure? Well I am sure you guys are more than capable to deal with this without my help. If anyone is in need of my assistance or advice I will be at the gambling den I have promised to meet a friend there about now." Klaus gives a curt nod and walks off towards the gambling den
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 29, 2012, 12:25:52 PM
"Friendly fellow," Mortus says after him.   "Well I'm sure he'll pick up some useful information at some point or just loose all of his money.   Should we contuine?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 04:36:39 PM
[Fandir]

Klaus isn't too keen on being involved in any adventures, but he feels right at home in the gambling tent. The tent is packed with people, playing a wide variety of different games - mostly dice or card games, but there are a few games involving rotating wheels and similar contraptions.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/people2.png)

Klaus decides to join a card game. He sits at a table with four other players - a bearded man with bushy eyebrows, a fat merchant in a silly hat, an elaborately dressed woman, and a halfling with a very serious expression on his chubby face. The other players nod to him, and the man with bushy eyebrows explains the rules - it's a standard game, and one of Klaus's best. The buy-in is 4 crowns, and play proceeds until only one player has any money left.

The game starts, and Klaus wonders if he should play fairly, relying on his natural talent for the game, of if he should cheat.

[with your gamble skill, you can add half your Int to all gambling checks while playing fairly. Or, you can attempt to cheat - if you do, you can add your full Int to the checks, but risk being discovered by the other players. If you are found out, you will be in big trouble! Let me know what you decide.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 04:51:35 PM
[cannon and commandant]

Heinrich and Mortus enter the town through the postern gate. The streets are almost as busy as the fair - there seem to be a lot of soldiers around, congregating at the many taverns that line the streets. Many of them wear Middenland colours - the Grand Duke himself is here for the joust, and has brought a large retinue with him.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/soldiers.gif)


Bogenhafen looks much like any other merchant town in Reikland. The buildings are mostly ramshackle and dirty, but here are there are beautiful temples or elaborate mansions that put their surroundings to shame. It's a fairly long walk to the tavern Gottri told them about, and Heinrich and Mortus quickly become tired of pushing through crowds and being the target of drunken insults from the soldiers.

At last they reach a seedy tavern with an amateurish but vibrant sign, showing a tentacled blue bob strangling a rabbit. They go inside - it's surprisingly dark in the Squid and Rabbit, but not too busy. Heinrich scans the patrons, and his practiced gaze falls on a hooded man seated at a round table in the corner. The inn keeper is standing next to him, having just brought drinks. Another man is slumped on the table, obviously drunk. Heinrich can't see the hooded man clearly enough to be sure, but he could be the target.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/ill7cj2.gif)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 29, 2012, 04:58:33 PM
Mortus will make her way through the crowd to the table of the hooded man to try and get a look at him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 05:01:57 PM
[Finlay]

The freak show isn't due to start for nearly an hour, so Julian decides to watch the wrestling first. As he arrives at the ring, the champion is kneeling on the back of a very hairy man and pushing his face into the dirt. The hairy man hits the floor frantically with his hand, signaling his submission, but even then it seems a long time before the champion releases him. He has trouble standing. The showman gives him a drink of water and helps him to his feet, saying, "Well done sir, that was a wonderful performance - you nearly had him! I wish you a speedy recovery! Who will be next! Surely the champion is due a loss now!"

A bald man who Julian vaguely recalls seeing at the beer tent earlier takes up the challenge next. He makes some early gains over the champion, wrestling him to the ground and almost locking one of his arms. But then the champion breaks free, and throws the bald man with contemptous ease. He lands badly, and a moment later is forced to tap out as the champion gets one enormous arm around his neck.

"Capital, capital! Wonderful show sir - and so close! I feel sure the next person to try their skill will win a great victory," the showman says. Then he notices Julian, and speaks to him. "How about you, sir? Dwarfs are fantastic wrestlers, or so I hear. Will you take on the champion and win eternal glory?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 05:42:07 PM
Mortus will make her way through the crowd to the table of the hooded man to try and get a look at him.

The man is doing his best to keep his face hidden, but Mortus thinks she can see pox scars on his cheeks.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 29, 2012, 05:50:25 PM
Mortus will make her way through the crowd to the table of the hooded man to try and get a look at him.

The man is doing his best to keep his face hidden, but Mortus thinks she can see pox scars on his cheeks.

Mortus is going to place one hand on the hooded man's hand, making sure she touches his skin.

"There you are Jan," she says.   "I thought you were going to meet me at the tavern at noon.   I have been looking all over for you for hours.   You should know not to disappear after an appointment like that"

She will want him to look at her.   If it not the man they are looking for she will blush and stammer

"I am sorry sir, but I am looking for my brother and he has just the same cloak as you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 07:23:45 PM
I think I trust in Ranald to let me win this, Klaus will be silent and concentrated sometimes he might even looked concnered as if he still has not understood the rules completely. I watch intensly for other players cheating especially the woman....a women with money how outrageous!

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 29, 2012, 08:44:43 PM
Heinrich will hang out by the door. If the hooded man makes a run for it he will intercept him. If not, Heinrich will wait and follow the man to a less populated locale. While he waits, Heinrick will scan the room for any other dangerous looking individuals. He knows Mortus will only confirm if the hooded man is our target, not engage him herself.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 29, 2012, 09:53:12 PM
Julian is happy to meet the others later, and settles down to watch the wrestling.

When he is challenged to wrestle, he chuckles and shakes his head. Julian is not a violent person by nature, and although he can take a punch he is certain the bigger, stronger more experienced champion would win.

After watching the champion demolish a young human attempting to impress a girl, Julian walks back to the freakshow, skirting passed the subdued goblin.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 10:04:46 PM
[Fandir]

The other players seem to underestimate Klaus to begin with, and concentrate on each other. The merchant is especially unpopular, and is the first to lose all his money. Klaus thinks the woman and the man with the bushy eyebrows were allied against the merchant in the first round, but in the second round she suddenly betrays him and he goes out next. In the third round, the woman and the halfling ally against Klaus, but Ranald is with him and he wins anyway - the woman is eliminated. The final round is a bitter struggle with the halfling. Klaus suspects him of cheating, but can see no definitive sign that he is. But in the end, his luck runs out. Klaus wins the game and all the money!

Klaus has won 16 gold crowns.



[I did roll for this game, by the way. Fandir got a 100 on a d100 at one point!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 10:22:23 PM
[Commandant and Cannon]

Heinrich looks carefully at the other tavern patrons. There is a small group of dockworkers at one table, and a group of boatmen at another. None of them look to be armed with anything more than a knife, and all seem passive enough. Even so it would be dangerous to try to apprehend the target in full view of everyone.

Mortus walks casually over to the hooded man, and reaches out to touch his hand. He sees her move and immediately recoils out of her reach.

"There you are Jan," she says.   "I thought you were going to meet me at the tavern at noon.   I have been looking all over for you for hours.   You should know not to disappear after an appointment like that."

He looks at her with confusion, but then a fleeting look of panic passes over his face. Mortus is fairly sure he fits the description.

"I'm afraid you have mistaken me for someone else," he says in a distinctive Middenland accent, "and now I must be leaving."

Without waiting for a response, he gets up from the table and heads rapidly towards a door on the far side of the room from the entrance - presumably it leads into a back room of the tavern. At the same time, the man who was slumped on the table sits up and grabs Mortus's arm. "My name can be Jan if you want it to be, miss!" he slurs drunkenly.

Heinrich isn't sure if he should follow the target into the back room or go outside and try to intercept him by going around the back of the tavern.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 10:37:07 PM
"Ahhh the gods be good, my mother always said that I was a fast learner. No hard feelings I hope...also how much fun it was see my hand? It is still shaking, the anticipation of winning or losing. I guess I am hooked now."

OOC: Klaus makes a grab for the money, what would be the proper way to make a donation to Ranald? What would a round for the whole tent cost me? Are there even drinks sold here?

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 10:57:10 PM
[Finlay]

The freakshow is just starting as Julian arrives. Doctor Malthusius, a middle-aged man in bright but well-worn clothes, is addressing the crowd while his dwarfish assistant collects the one shilling entry fee.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the marvelous zoocopeia of Doctor Malthusius! You will now see wonders and horrors the like of which few people will ever experience! Grunni, bring out the first subject please."

Grunni, the dwarf assistant, enters the covered wagon and returns leading a large grey dog by a rope. The animal's head is uniquely distorted: it has only a single, central eye. "This hound was discovered in the forests of Hochland," the doctor explains, "be careful not to stare too long into its eye! Those who do so often see horrible visions of their own deaths."

As the show continues, Grunni leads out exhibit after exhibit, each with a colourful and unlikely description from the doctor. Among the oddities on display are a large spider with the head of a sparrow, a cat with blue fur and two tails, a hairy fish in a tank of water, a singing skull, and a tiny elephant the size of a mouse.

Last of all, Grunni leads out the three-legged goblin. "This beast is the pride of my collection," the doctor says, "This goblin served in the horde of Gobaz Backstabba the Vile, the infamous goblin warlord who burned the northern marches of Kislev some years ago. You would imagine that having three legs would cause the creature to trip over its own feet, but in fact it displays remarkably agility."

Suddenly, the goblin bites Grunni's hand, causing him to let go of the rope. At once it is away and running. People in the crowd begin to scream, and the show descends into chaos. Julian rushes after it, but before he can reach the goblin it has squeezed through the rusty bars covering a small hole in the city wall. Julian recognises this as a breathing hole for the town's sewers, designed to prevent the build-up of flamable gasses.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/goblin.jpg)

The hole is too small for anyone to pass through it. Even the goblin barely fitted - there are traces of blood on the broken bars where it has injured itself on the way through.

As Julian examines the damaged grating, Doctor Malthusius and Grunni arrive. "Oh no! Surely it hasn't gone into the sewers! How am I to reclaim it now! Ah, wait - sir, am I right in thinking you to be an engineer?" he says to Julian, "your tools and other equipment suggest the idea, and you have the look of a man of machinery - ah! - I mean dwarf, naturally! The town sewers were built by dwarf engineers - is that not so, Grunni?"

Grunni nods.

"Surely, sir, you would be able to navigate the sewers most easily, and could rapidly reclaim my lost property? Were you to return the goblin to me, safely, I could pay you - ah - 50 crowns, I should think. Please, will you consider this idea?"

"The town would also see this menace dealt with," says a high-pitched, unpleasant voice. A small man in lawclerk's robes and flanked by two militiamen has just arrived on the scene. "Doctor, you were warned to keep your animals under proper control. You can expect charges if any harm results from this escape." He turns to Julian, "Sir, if you intend to enter the sewers to locate the animal you have the blessing of the law to do so. Recover it and the town will reward you well! I would however recommend you not go alone. The town cannot spare militia for this task - but no doubt you have comrades you can call upon to aid you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 11:04:02 PM
[Fandir]

There aren't any drinks available to buy in the tent - you have to bring them in from outside. The other players in Klaus's game leave the tent looking very unhappy - bad sports, all of them. His dazzling victory has made Klaus popular with various bystanders who were watching the game, and they gather round to congratulate him and ask for advice. Several of them are inviting him to join other games.

Klaus is careful to stow his money away, before anyone tries to steal it.

There is a small shrine to Ranald in his aspect of the Gamester in the middle of the tent. The shrine has a money box for donations, if Klaus wishes to thank the god of luck.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 29, 2012, 11:11:31 PM
I will donate 4 crowns into the shrine as I placed the money in Ranalds palms and he multiplied it. Klaus is a bit sad that they were such bad sports but bathes in the attention of the bystanders and offers proper advice...to keep the hand if you have two kings and that it is best to drop the sevens if you have ....etc. at least that is what he thinks it is. If there is any table that has merrier fellows than the sour bunch that lost to me I will join them in a game. If there are people that are likeable I offer to invite them to a drink after the gaming.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 29, 2012, 11:43:19 PM
[Fandir]

Klaus's extravagant donation to Ranald raises cheers from the assembled gamblers. A young woman shyly invites him to join another card game - the stakes are lower, with a buy-in of only one crown. There are five other people seated at the table she indicates - all human, two woman and three men. They have a large jug of beer, and offer Klaus a drink whether he wants to join the game or not.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on May 30, 2012, 12:12:48 AM
"Hello I am Klaus and what a relief to see some other Ladies "...he nods curtly towards the women "...and Gentlemen that like the game for the games sake". He gladly joins into the drinking and tries to figure out which of the players he could frame to be his puppet for the use of rigged dice/cards.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 30, 2012, 09:52:58 AM
Mortus shakes off the drunken man.

"Then you would be my brother," she snaps.   "Do I want you for a brother?"   She glances at Heinrich and then follows the hooded man.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 30, 2012, 12:56:53 PM
Heinrich moves speedily to follow the hooded man, entering the door in front of Mortus if at all possible. He will also surreptitiously draw his axe with his right hand, while still holding his bow stave in his left.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 30, 2012, 01:06:29 PM
"50 crowns eh" Julian says, trying to hide the impression this sum had made on him.

"Crawling into the filfth, and saving you being fine... he must be worth a bit more than that? [Can I take a fel test?]"

Julian, wondering about how easy it will be for the goblin to escape asks the law clerk, "Are the sewers self contained or can the creature escape elsewhere... and do you have any plans of the sewers?"

Aware of letting the goblin escape, Julian will attempt to wrap up these conversations  Quickly before heading to the gambling tent to get Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 01:50:37 PM
[Finlay]

"Well, I'm not sure I can pay more than 50 crowns," the doctor says, "though it is a very valuable specimen."

[Fel test to raise the reward!]


The Lawclerk looks incredulous when Julian asks him about the sewer system. "I am an officer of the court, not a sewer rat! I know absolutely nothing about the sewers. But, I suppose it would be a good idea to get a map before you go down there. Apply at the town hall, in Dreieckeplatz. You'll need to go into town to access the sewer anyway." he quickly scribbles on a small sheet of parchment and hands it to Julian. "Here is your authorisation to enter the sewer, plus a request that you be given a map with all possible haste."

Once his business is concluded, Julian hurries off to the gambling tent.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 02:03:23 PM
[commandant and cannon]

Heinrich reaches the door first, his axe and bow at the ready (though not obviously so, in order not to alarm the tavern patrons). Mortus manages to shake her arm free of the drunkard's grip with some effort, and joins Heinrich at the door.

He opens the door and steps carefully through, followed by Mortus. On the other side is the tavern's small kitchen, currently unoccupied. A staircase leads up on the left, while a door on the right leads outside. The target could have gone either way. Heinrich looks around for signs of a trail, and notices that the doormat is rucked up as though someone has recently run across it [easy trail so no need to test with the proper skill]: Heinrich concludes that the target has gone through the door, and sets off in pursuit. Opening the door, he steps out into a narrow alley that runs east to west. He glimpses a shape disappearing around a corner to the west.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 30, 2012, 02:04:53 PM
Mortus will follow if she can see.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 02:13:03 PM
[Fandir]

"My name is Maria," says the shy woman, as Klaus takes his place at the gaming table. "These are my friends: Angela, Hubert, Paul, Katrina and Johan. We're here for the festival, but we're also terrifically keen on card games. It's wonderful to have a real expert to play with."

Klaus is flattered by the attention, and enjoys the free drinks - Maria keeps topping up his cup for him. To begin with, he plays well, but as the game goes on his opponents improve considerably, while he starts to make elementary mistakes.  Klaus suddenly feels suspicious: is he being drugged? Certainly his opponents are not what they seem - he catches Maria smiling unpleasantly at one of the men.

Just then, Julian arrives in the tent and taps Klaus on the shoulder. He tells him they have an important and profitable mission to undertake, and they must leave at once. Klaus is glad of the excuse to leave, and picks up his remaining stake money [he's lost 12 shillings on the game].

The two of them leave the tent together.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 03:01:40 PM
[commandant and cannon]

Heinrich and Mortus race around the corner after the target, in time to see him disappear around another corner. They round that corner in time to see him lever off a manhole cover, about to jump down into the sewers!

Heinrich can probably get off a shot from his bow before the target can get into the sewers, if he wants to.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 30, 2012, 03:05:14 PM
Mortus pulls up short and looks at Heinrich.   She hates sewers.

"I suppose you want to follow him," she says.   
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 07:36:58 PM
[Finlay and Fandir]

Julian and Klaus enter the town by the east gate, which is much larger than the postern gate. Two three-story towers stand on either side, and the gates themselves are of massive, iron-bound wood. They are generally left open during the day, and the guards are allowing almost anyone through.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/people.jpg)


Beyond the gate is a paved street called Nulner Weg, which leads into the Gottenplatz. Here can be found Bogenhafen's temples. In the centre of the square is a magnificent, twin-spired temple to Sigmar. Arrayed around it are temples to Myrmidia, Verena, Ulric, Shallya, Handrich (a minor god who protects merchants) and Bogenauer (the town's patron god).

The square is packed with people going about their business. As they do, they are harangued by street preachers and agitators of every possible (legal) cult or political movement.

Passing through the square, Julian and Klaus reach the town hall. This is an impressive building, well-provided for with columns and spires. On entering, they are greeted by a clerk who asks their business: Julian presents the note he was given by the festival court clerk, and is directed to the office of public sanitation.

"Ah, come in" says a grey-bearded man with a slight squint, "I am Ludwig Stumpf, the vice-under-secretary of sanitation. I am told you are entering the sewers to 'flush' out a problem for us? Ha ha! Sorry, a little joke." The effort of laughing seems to have made Ludwig too warm, and he mops his forehead with a grubby handkerchief. "Well, it can be rather dangerous down there - treacherous walkways and all that, I mean. Nothing else! I don't want to give you the idea the place is full of monsters! Ha ha! But, I'm told you are an engineer, sir, so you'll know what to do. Maybe you can even inspect the place and tell us if we need any repairs. Send the town a bill if you do! Ha ha!"

Ludwig wipes his brow again, and then hands Julian a rolled-up parchment. "Here's a map of the system. If you want to enter near the breathing hole on the outer wall where the beastie got in, you'll want the manhole I've marked with a letter A. But you could try a different hole if you'd prefer. You'll need a ladder to get down safely - and out again, too! - so I've had one made ready for you. You can collect it on the way out. Good luck gentlemen! I expect I'll see you later - don't forget about the engineering work too! I meant that sincerely!"

[link to the map is in a PM!]

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 30, 2012, 08:25:57 PM
Heinrich will attempt a shot, knowing it will be difficult to find the man in the sewer.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 09:30:11 PM
Heinrich quickly draws his bow and shoots at the hooded man... but the arrow flies past him and embeds itself in a building across the street.

[BS 58, to hit roll = 92]

The man jumps into the hole and is lost to sight.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 30, 2012, 10:35:45 PM
Heinrich quickly draws his bow and shoots at the hooded man... but the arrow flies past him and embeds itself in a building across the street.

[BS 58, to hit roll = 92]

The man drops jumps into the hole and is lost to sight.

"Go back to the others!" Heinrich shouts to Mortus as he sprints to the hole and drops in, axe at the ready.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 30, 2012, 11:23:21 PM
Heinrich leaps into the hole, falls quite some distance, and lands in the effluent channel. This breaks his fall [he's very lucky not to get hurt!], but he's now up to his chest in sewer water.

[half Fel until clean again!]

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/sewer.jpg)


The hooded man did exactly the same thing, but has managed to climb onto the walkway and is limping away as fast as he can (he obviously hurt himself as he fell). Heinrich climbs out of the channel. He could try another shot, or he could sprint after the hooded man and try to get him that way. The walkway looks slippery, so it may be dangerous to run on it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 30, 2012, 11:36:48 PM
Heinrich will shoot at him again.

[Ballistic Skill roll - 20]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 08:29:15 AM
The arrow hits him in the back of the head [to hit roll of 20 = location 02 = head!], punching through the skull and protruding from the eye socket on the other side! He's extremely dead, and falls immediately onto the walkway, face down.

[Damage S3+(d6 roll of)6 - T3 = 6 wounds. 7 wounds on profile, took 2 from the fall earlier. -1 critical hit, % roll = 90 = instant death!]


[damn, so much for him trying to convince you of his (possible) innocence when you arrest him!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 31, 2012, 09:43:24 AM
Mortus will run up to him and bend down over the body.   I assume that it hasn't fallen in the sewer.   She will quickly search it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 09:52:34 AM
[Mortus is still on the street. Heinrich and the dead guy are in the sewer, covered in crap.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 31, 2012, 09:56:22 AM
OOC:   Sorry didn't read far enough back.   

Mortus will wait at the top of the sewer.   She will have heard the scream and will pop her head in for a minute to ensure that it is not Heinrich.   If he requires help dragging the body out she will help him
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 10:37:23 AM
Heinrich curses his luck. He meant to wound, rather than kill, because he knows he won't get nearly the same bounty money for a dead man. He will search the man's body.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 10:49:11 AM
[It is possible to aim for specific parts of the body ((well, head/torso/arm/leg) by the way, but it's harder to hit. Also I don't think it makes much difference to the potential to kill the target. In close combat, you can try to stun rather than kill, though possibly you need a certain skill. Not sure. You could have tried to lasso him, if you had more time and weren't in a relatively narrow sewer!]


Heinrich knows he'll need to bring the body to the court with him, which won't be easy. At least he has some rope to haul it out of the sewer with. A search of the body turns up a worn dagger and 9 shillings. Heinrich examines the body to confirm he matches the description (it would be unfortunate if he'd killed the wrong man!). The height, build and hair colour match, as do the clothes (apart from the hooded cloak). The man's face is indeed pox-scarred, and his knuckles are battered - he has been in a fight recently.

It's interesting that he chose to enter the sewers, rather than trying to lose his pursuers on the streets. Was he trying to get somewhere specific?

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 10:55:34 AM
Heinrich, though curious about where the man might have been fleeing to, is more concerned with finishing the job first. He calls for Mortus, and when he has her attention tosses one end of the rope up to her, and begins the process of lugging the body back to the Festival Courts, he'll make a side trip to the river to wash off if that is possible.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 11:19:53 AM
Dragging the body up the entry shaft is a slow and awkward process, but Heinrich and Mortus succeed eventually. Heinrich emerges from the sewer and puts the cover back over the hole, just as a patrol of four watchmen arrives on the scene.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/militia.gif)

The patrol leader looks shocked. "What in Sigmar's name do you think you are doing? Is that man dead? Explain yourselves at once!"

The other patrol members level their halberds threateningly at Mortus and Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 11:30:39 AM
Heinrich immediately drops his bow and assumes a non-threatening posture. "This man is dead, yes. I shot him in the head. My name is Heinrich; I am a bounty hunter, and I was tasked by the magistrate at the Festival court to retrieve this man who assaulted Viscount Philippe de Savoie of Paravon. We had an altercation and he lost. My associate has the bounty order." Heinrich motions to Mortus to show the guards the paper, carefully keeping his hands away from any of his weapons.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 31, 2012, 11:47:26 AM
Mortus takes the paper from her belt pouch and offer it to the Guards.

"I can read it if you want," she says.   "Or we can go to the Festival Court and have the entire matter cleared up."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 12:14:28 PM
The patrol leader narrows his eyes, and looks from Heinrich to Mortus, and then back again. "Well," he says, "you do have the look of a bounty hunter about you. And I am aware of the assault on the viscount, certainly... you may be telling the truth. Show me the order." He holds out his hand to Mortus, and accepts the paper when she passes it to him.

He studies it for a while - he's clearly not a proficient reader - before handing it back. "This looks in order. If this is indeed the right man, then the town thanks you, I'm sure. However, we can't have people dragging bodies through the streets in broad daylight. My patrol will escort you to the Festival Court." He looks at Heinrich with distaste, sniffs the air, and then spits. "We'll stop by the river first. You and your victim need a bath before we take you before the Magistrate."

Assuming they agree to go with the patrol [the alternatives are to flee, fight or be arrested!], they are escorted to the river. Two of the watchmen push the body into the water, and then pull it out by the rope that's still tied to it. Heinrich also takes a quick bath - the water isn't too clean, but it gets the sewer mess off him well enough. The afternoon is still very hot, and his clothes will dry quickly.

[Heinrich's Fel is back to normal]

They walk to the Festival Court after that, the watchmen carrying the body. The streets are still packed with people, but they all part to allow the patrol through. At the court, the stocks are empty and there is no case in progress. The patrol leader reports to the Magistrate, who calls his clerk over to inspect the body.

"Yes, this looks like the criminal," the clerk says in his horrible, piercing voice.

"Fleeing the court before the verdict proved his guilt," the magistrate says, looking Heinrich in the eye, "so by executing him you have saved the town some measure of time and expense. You are to be congratulated. Sergeant," he says to the patrol leader, "take the body to the chapel of Morr. He is to be buried as cheaply as possible. I will prepare a letter to be taken to the viscount, informing him that his attacker has been brought to justice."

The magistrate goes back to his desk. The clerk hands Heinrich another parchment, saying "Here is a payment order for the agreed bounty of 40 crowns, to be filled at the town hall. Do you know where that is? Go into town by the east gate and walk straight forward. You can't miss it."

He turns his back dismissively. But a second later he turns back to them and says, "wait, there is another bounty open. We have already commissioned one hunter, but the job may be difficult. The freakshow," he says the word contemptuously, "has lost a dangerous animal - I believe it was a goblin with three legs. The animal entered the sewers by the breathing hole just outside, and is currently at large down there. Recover it, dead or alive, and you will be rewarded... ah, there is no set bounty for this job, as yet. Be assured it will be worthwhile."

If Heinrich and Mortus accept the job, the clerk hands them a parchment authorising them to enter the sewers to hunt the goblin.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 31, 2012, 12:29:32 PM
Julian thanks Ludwig, then leaves.

"this is going to be some dirty work" he says to Klaus.

"I think the beast will have moved quickly... I want to get the others but fear we will run out of time. Surely the goblin will have moved, but the system is quite extensive so I think we should enter near where he did, and see if we can find any evidence of the creature."

[roll of a 48 for my fel test.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 12:44:29 PM
[Failed Fel test: Doctor Malthusius won't increase the reward money]

Julian and Klaus collect a ladder on the way out of the town hall, and head for the manhole cover marked on the map. It's in the mercantile district, behind the prestigious Adel Ring where the richest citizens have their mansions. A watch patrol accosts them as they open the manhole cover, but Julian presents his papers and they are allowed to continue.

They set up the ladder and descend into the fetid, pitch-black sewer [I'm assuming you were provided with lanterns at the town hall]. Julian can see immediately that the sewer is of dwarf make, and knows that there will be engineering guild symbols cut into the stonework that he can use to help him navigate.

[see the diagram above about sewer passage types]

They are at a three-way junction. One way leads to the breathing hole the goblin entered by. The other two lead deeper into the system.
[see the map! you entered at point A]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 31, 2012, 12:51:32 PM
I want to go the breathing hole.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 31, 2012, 01:13:18 PM
Mortus glances at Heinrich.

"I would rather not go into the sewers," she says.   "It is bad enough that you have already had a dunking and smell like crap.   If you are interested though I will cash the reward slip."   She pauses, considering.
"How do you suggest spliting the reward?" she asks.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 03:15:25 PM
[Finlay and Fandir]

It's only a short journey to the breathing hole, but Klaus feels deeply uncomfortable - the smell, the darkness and the feeling of constriction are overpowering. Julian is more at home in tunnels, but even he is disgusted by the stench. The system hasn't been very well maintained by its human owners.

Klaus's lantern happens to illuminate a dry pipe in the wall to his left, and dozens of tiny eyes stare back at him. It's full of rats!

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/rats.jpg)

He cries out in alarm and almost drops the lantern. The noise makes the rats retreat further into the pipe. After a moment, Klaus collects himself and they continue.

Further on, they discover a wooden door built into the stonework (S2 on the map). Julian is very surprised to see this, since it isn't shown on the map and anyway has no reason to be here. He notices that the stonework has been crudely hacked away in order to install the door, which itself is very badly made. Klaus notices a strange sign carved into the stone beside the door, but he has no idea what it means. Julian is sure that the sign is not dwarfish.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/door.jpg)

They carry on to the breathing hole (S1 on the map), knowing that the passage is a dead end and they will have to pass the door again anyway. The shaft the goblin entered by is very narrow - only 12" square, and it's amazing that the goblin was able to fit through. There should have been an iron grill at this end of the shaft too, but it has rusted away to almost nothing. Klaus studies the opening closely, and notices traces of greenish blood. The blood is not only on the remains of the grill: it runs up the breathing shaft, and also continues down the sewer passage he and Julian had just walked down.

Now that they are aware of the blood trail, they should be able to follow it without too much trouble, provided they go slowly and search with care. The trail runs on the other side of the passage to the mysterious door - but are they interested in opening it anyway?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on May 31, 2012, 09:27:27 PM
[so we can follow the trail and avoid going through the door? That's what I want to do.]


"I don't think we should go through the door... without the others here" Julian says after a pause. "Let's follow the trail and see if we can find this creature."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 09:55:52 PM
[yes, the trail avoids the door, so the goblin didn't go that way]

The goblin's trail leads back to the manhole Julian and Klaus entered by, turns right at the three-way intersection, then takes a left turn. This passage curves gradually to the left, and seems even more slime-coated and unsettling than the previous section. From time to time the water in the effluent channel seems to bubble in places. Klaus thinks he sees a dark shape in the corner of his eye, breaking the surface before diving back under - when he looks, fearfully, he sees nothing.

After a long walk, Julian notices something floating in the water near an inlet pipe. As he raises his lantern, a large rat leaps from the object and swims away. The light from the lantern makes it horribly clear what the floating object is: it's the body of a dwarf, hideously mutilated. One arm is missing, and his chest has been ripped open. His face is partly hidden, but Julian has a vague feeling he's seen him before.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/dead.jpg)

The goblin's trail continues along the walkway without faltering.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 11:00:16 PM
Mortus glances at Heinrich.

"I would rather not go into the sewers," she says.   "It is bad enough that you have already had a dunking and smell like crap.   If you are interested though I will cash the reward slip."   She pauses, considering.
"How do you suggest spliting the reward?" she asks.

"Right down the middle, of course. Twenty for you and twenty for me. I will attempt to find Julian. His knowledge will be very valuable in the sewer."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 11:15:53 PM
[So, what are you doing exactly?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 11:24:42 PM
[So, what are you doing exactly?]

Mortus is going to cash the reward slip, and I am going back into the festival to find Julian. I will stop by the freakshow to make inquiries about the escaped critter as well.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on May 31, 2012, 11:27:32 PM
[he's in the sewer so you won't find him! But I suppose you don't know that yet.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on May 31, 2012, 11:29:10 PM
[he's in the sewer so you won't find him! But I suppose you don't know that yet.]

Exactly.  :happy:
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on May 31, 2012, 11:48:17 PM
Mortus will take the paper and go to where ever one gets gold from for rewards.   The city hall or Festival Court or whatever and cash it.   Then she will go back to where the freak show is to see if Heinrich is there and if he is not she will go and look for a tavern that has rooms for the night.   Once she has found one she will wander around the stalls and meet the others at the beer tent at the apointed time.   She will listen very carefully to people to hear any interesting rumours.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 01, 2012, 12:15:11 AM
Heinrich goes to the freakshow first, which is very close to the Festival Court. He asks Doctor Malthusius (who he saw promoting the show earlier in the day) about the missing goblin. The doctor describes the creature thoroughly, explains how it escaped, and shows Heinrich the breathing hole leading to the sewer that it escaped down. He notices traces of greenish blood on the broken bars of the grill over the hole. Since the goblin is clearly injured, it will have left a good trail to follow.

"I'm very grateful to you for helping to look for my specimen," the doctor says, " but I should tell you I've already hired someone else - he started the search quite oon after the escape, so I'd imagine he's deep in the sewer by now. He's a dwarf engineer called Julian - uh - Stonebridge, I think."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 01, 2012, 12:18:28 AM
Heinrich goes to the freakshow first, which is very close to the Festival Court. He asks Doctor Malthusius (who he saw promoting the show earlier in the day) about the missing goblin. The doctor describes the creature thoroughly, explains how it escaped, and shows Heinrich the breathing hole leading to the sewer that it escaped down. He notices traces of greenish blood on the broken bars of the grill over the hole. Since the goblin is clearly injured, it will have left a good trail to follow.

"I'm very grateful to you for helping to look for my specimen," the doctor says, " but I should tell you I've already hired someone else - he started the search quite oon after the escape, so I'd imagine he's deep in the sewer by now. He's a dwarf engineer called Julian - uh - Stonebridge, I think."

"Do you happen to know where he may have entered the sewer system?"

Heinrich will also thoroughly examine the grate to see if there is any possible way to get through without injury.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 01, 2012, 12:32:58 AM
Mortus goes into Bogenhafen and finds the town hall without difficulty. Getting to the proper office to cash the money order is more difficult - she is directed from place to place, often being kept waiting before being told to go to yet another floor of the building. At last, she ends up in a small, dusty room in a quiet corner of the town hall. A middle-aged woman with dyed black hair examines the money order and brightly tells her, "Oh yes, I can cash that for you! I'm sorry if you've had a difficult time finding me - the towns finances are a complicated matter, and no one wants to risk paying out a sum like this from the wrong budget. Why, they'd have to pay it back themselves!" She opens a safe in the corner, and counts out 40 crowns into a bag. "Here you are - if you could just sign here, here and here... thank you! Congratulations on doing whatever it was you did to earn this money. I'm sure it was terribly exciting! Good evening."

Heinrich has left the freakshow by the time Mortus gets back there - Doctor Malthusius says he went into the town with the intention of going down into the sewers. Having no intention of following him there, Mortus wanders around Bogenhafen looking for an inn with rooms available for the night. All of the inns near the festival are full, but after a long search - and the help of several locals - she finds an inn (the Surprised Goat) off Hafenstrasse, close to the Teamster's Guild, which has a four-bed room available at a cost of 30 shillings. She books this and heads back to the fair.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 01, 2012, 12:38:30 AM
[cannon]

"Hmmm," the doctor says, "I'm not sure. I expect he would have used the closest manhole to the breathing hole the goblin went down. I can't say I've ever noticed where they are though - they aren't the kind of thing you look at! I expect if you go in by the postern gate and ask around, you'll find it easily enough.

The hole the goblin went through is ridiculously small - it would take a contortionist to get in that way (or a three legged goblin, apparently).
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 01, 2012, 12:46:04 AM
[cannon]

"Hmmm," the doctor says, "I'm not sure. I expect he would have used the closest manhole to the breathing hole the goblin went down. I can't say I've ever noticed where they are though - they aren't the kind of thing you look at! I expect if you go in by the postern gate and ask around, you'll find it easily enough.

The hole the goblin went through is ridiculously small - it would take a contortionist to get in that way (or a three legged goblin, apparently).

I make my way to the postern gate and ask around.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 01, 2012, 09:15:57 AM
[cannon]

Heinrich gets a lot of suspicious looks as he asks passers by where the nearest manhole cover is, but at length a narrow-faced man points him in the right direction and he finds it. He can see that the cover has been moved recently, and on levering it open he discovers that a ladder has been left leading into the shaft. This must be the way Julian went.

Lighting his lantern [if you don't have one, let's assume you bought one before going down here! It's dark], Heinrich descends into the sewers. He finds himself at a three-way intersection. He can tell that one of the passages leads in the rough direction of the breathing hole.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 01, 2012, 09:18:37 AM
[rufus]

Rufus goes to Wales until Tuesday evening, and doesn't update the game until then!

In the meantime, Heinrich, Mortus, Klaus and Julian gain 100 experience points each! They can spend these right away to buy another advance from their advance scheme (a +1 or +10 depending on the stat).

Well done everyone!

Feel free to post what your character does next. I'll update when I get back.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 01, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
[cannon]

Heinrich gets a lot of suspicious looks as he asks passers by where the nearest manhole cover is, but at length a narrow-faced man points him in the right direction and he finds it. He can see that the cover has been moved recently, and on levering it open he discovers that a ladder has been left leading into the shaft. This must be the way Julian went.

Lighting his lantern [if you don't have one, let's assume you bought one before going down here! It's dark], Heinrich descends into the sewers. He finds himself at a three-way intersection. He can tell that one of the passages leads in the rough direction of the breathing hole.

Heinrich will head towards the breathing hole, expecting that to be the best place to pick up the trails of both Julian and the gob.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 05, 2012, 10:14:27 PM
Heinrich makes his way down the passageway leading to the breathing hole. He soon discovers a mysterious door on the right-hand wall. There seems to be light shining through cracks in the woodwork, and he also spots a symbol cut into the stone beside the door. Heinrich thinks the symbol looks vaguely familiar, but can't quite place it.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/door.jpg)

He continues to the end of the passage, where he finds the breathing hole. It's a simple matter to locate the goblin's blood trail, which leads back the way he has just come. Heinrich can also see signs that someone else has been here recently.

He follows the trail back along the passage towards the intersection. The trail avoids the door.

[does Heinrich follow the trail, or examine the door further?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 05, 2012, 10:57:13 PM
The effects of the drinks the drugging of Klaus made him follow the Dwarf in good spirits and kind of meekly, with the effects wearing off his brain starts to be working again properly and he canīt really remember what kind of devil was riding him following a dwarf he barely knows into some sewer with gigantic rats looming in the dark hunting down a mutant beast, the only thing he can think about is finding the nearest exit and leaving the place but walking around alone down there doesnīt seem like the best plan. It might even be worse than the stupid plan to come down here in the first place he takes out his club and with cold sweat on his brow bows over to the Dwarf. His eyes darting nervously around left and right checking the surrounding for threats.

"I think he already got away....might be best we leave and forget about the whole affair....donīt ye think?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 05, 2012, 11:54:59 PM
Heinrich's curiosity will get the better of him, and he will examine the door further.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 09:14:33 AM
[cannon]

Heinrich Examines the door closely. He can't see anything through the cracks in the timber, and he can't hear anything on the other side either. Carefully trying the handle, he finds the door to be locked.

Just then, he spots something odd about the stone with the strange sign carved into it. He touches it, and finds that it is loose - it can be removed from the wall. Behind the stone is a small iron key that looks as though it would fit the lock on the door.

[observe test passed on a 06]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 06, 2012, 10:05:39 AM
"Madness...pure madness, we should check that dwarf if he has anything useful on him and get the hell out of here."

Klaus will move closer to the dwarf checking the surrounding all the time and light the dead body with the lantern checking if there is anything useful on him and also investigating more closely what might have caused the wounds, his mind already summoning images of some monster with dozends of tentacles that had ripped into him and also sucked out his brain.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 10:21:29 AM
[Fandir and Finlay]

Klaus leans over the dwarf's body, shining his lantern on it to get a better look. The injuries are even more horrible than they appeared at first. The left shoulder is a twisted ruin of splintered bone and torn flesh, where the arm has been bitten or twisted off. The chest has also been ripped open, with each rib snapped away from the breast-bone and made to stick straight out. There's a horrible gap where the heart and lungs should be. Cuts and stab-wounds are scattered across the rest of the body. Klaus prods the head with his club, in order to see the face more clearly... as he does the body slips suddenly away from the wall it was resting on. The head falls back at an awkward angle, exposing a deep gash in the throat, and the mouth drops open. The dead eyes seem to catch Klaus's, and it looks as though the corpse is screaming in pain and horror. Klaus recognises him then - he's the dwarf they saw Heinrich and Mortus speaking to by the Festival Court.

This is all too much for Klaus. He jumps back with a cry of horror, nearly losing his footing. Klaus gains one insanity point! [failed Cl test after seeing something nasty].
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 06, 2012, 10:27:02 AM
Does Heinrich hear Klaus' unmanly cries?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 06, 2012, 10:44:04 AM
"The stink, I need air...."

Klaus turns tail and surges back to where the two of us came from fleeing for the exit.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 10:45:35 AM
Does Heinrich hear Klaus' unmanly cries?

[I test = 33. Yes!]

Just as he discovers the hidden key, Heinrich hears a distorted, echoing cry from somewhere further into the sewers. He can't be sure, but it sounded a lot like Klaus's voice.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 10:51:26 AM
Julian is left standing by the dwarf's corpse, looking surprised, as Klaus flees back down the tunnel. In his panicked flight, Klaus trips and lands painfully on his knees. But he's not hurt, and is immediately back on his feet and running. He'll reach the exit soon.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 06, 2012, 11:02:13 AM
In his panic Klaus has left the lantern or dropped it, he canīt remember all that is counting now is getting out....out as fast as possible.

With his hands to the front he moves as fast as possible to the exit.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 11:26:34 AM
[Commandant]

Mortus wanders around the merchant stalls, looking at the various mundane and exotic goods for sale. As she does, she listens carefully to the conversations going on around her, hoping to hear something of interest. She hears various fragments of news:

"The roads are getting worse all the time - I broke two cart wheels just getting here from Nuln! The Emperor is spending too much money on the Imperial army instead of making sure the roads are maintained."

...

"Did you hear about Blutroch? They say the village as been wiped out by a plague that brings you out in red blotches! If you see anyone with blotchy skin you'd better stay away!"

...

"The council are going to raise the wharf tax again after the festival. I blame the Steinhagers - they do all their trade by road, with the dwarf mines, so they don't want the competition from river trade."

...

"All the monsters broke out of the freakshow, and they are roaming through the town eating everyone! The watch have sealed the gates!"

...

"Grand Duke Leopold has won the first day of the joust. He's an amazing horseman."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 06, 2012, 12:18:15 PM
Mortus will try and listen closer to the conversation about the monsters of the freakshow.   If she can not she will attempt to liste closer about the village of Blutroch
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 06, 2012, 12:30:23 PM
“What the hell are you doing?” Julian shouts. He too was unnerved by the sight of the dead dwarf, but such an unwieldy retreat goes against every dwarfish instinct he has.

Julian sees Klaus trip, and suddenly notices how narrow the walk ways are… as well as remembering the horde of rats. “careful!” he shouts at Klaus, not sure he can hear him.

Julian then follows Klaus quickly, but still with care. He doesn’t particularly want to be in the sewer on his own, and figures if he can find Heinrich and Mortus, they might be able to have a better look in the sewer… and leave the cowardly Klaus doing something else.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 02:14:56 PM
[commandant]

Mortus listens more carefully to the people talking about the freakshow, but it quickly becomes clear that they are talking a lot of nonsense. One man is now claiming that talking, man-sized rats secretly rule Bogenhafen from the town sewers. It's obviously ridiculous.

So, she tries to overhear more about the plague village instead. As she does, a tall man with a lazy eye turns suddenly around and says to her, "Ere, what'cha think you're listenin' too? Spyin', are ya?"

"Look at her face!" a short, ugly woman says, "there's a red mark on her cheek! She's got the Red Blotch Plague!"

Several other people turn to look at Mortus. They also believe they can see red blotches on her face, and are becoming hysterical. The crowd could turn nasty at any moment.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 06, 2012, 02:18:02 PM
Mortus looks surprised.

"I was just looking at this stall," she says.   "I have no interest in what you are talking about."    She glances over the stall for a second.   "Or what is on sale here either."   

She will walk away at a normal pace glancing around for the city guard.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 02:40:40 PM
The crowd continues to mutter as Mortus walks away. A number of them follow her, remaining at a distance because of their fear of her alleged disease. "Get out of here, plague-bearer!" someone shouts. A stone hurtles past Mortus's head and hits the side of a tent.

Just then, a four-man watch patrol arrives on the scene. "What's going on here then?" shouts the sergeant - just as another stone bounces off his helmet. He cries out in rage, and has his men grab the culprit: a small man in ragged clothes who look appalled at what he has just mistakenly done. "We'll take this one to the Festival Court," the sergeant says, a nasty look on his face, "assaulting an officer of the law ought to get him three dozen lashes at least!"

The ugly woman from earlier says, "Never mind him, she's got the Red Blotch Plague!". She points dramatically to Mortus.

The sergeant rolls his eyes. "Not this again! For the last time: there is no such thing as the Red Blotch Plague. Nothing happened in Blutroch. Now, all of you go about your business, unless you want to get some real red blotches down at the whipping post."

The angry crowd disperses, disappointedly, as the watch patrol drag their victim away. Mortus shakes her head at the idiocy of some of the people at this fair.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
[Finlay]

Julian sees Klaus drop his lantern as he falls - it bounces off the walkway and disappears into the effluent channel. He's soon lost to sight as he runs blindly into the darkness. 'He's going to get himself killed' Julian thinks to himself, and hurries after Klaus as quickly as he dares on the slime-covered walkway.

He glances back over his shoulder at the corpse. Several dark shapes are perched on it, presumably nibbling at the flesh - rats, and unusually large ones at that. As he carries on his way, the water in the effluent channel seems to boil briefly near where Klaus's lantern fell in. The surface of the water breaks and writhes, and a dark shape is briefly visible. Then the water becomes still again. Julian is even more convinced that he shouldn't be down here alone, and continues to follow Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 02:57:13 PM
[Fandir]

Klaus runs as fast as he can towards the exit, even though he now can't see where he's going. He stumbles several more times, but manages not to fall - his fear has made him agile. He eventually reaches an intersection... but unfortunately he can't see it, and plunges into the effluent channel. The shock is considerable, and brings him to his senses - he hauls himself out, spluttering and stinking, on the opposite bank of the channel. He thinks he needs to go right along the tunnel to reach the exit.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 06, 2012, 03:10:42 PM
He will put his hands on the sewer walls....feeling the wet and slimy goo orienting himself slowly counting to 10....

"One....everything will be...two.... allright I just have to get out...three...a bath and some drink and..four.....everything will be good"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 06, 2012, 04:22:30 PM
"Thank you," Mortus says to the watchman.   She takes a crown from her belt pouch and passes it to the officer.   "You and the lads have a drink on me later.   What are they on about a plague for?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 06, 2012, 06:50:20 PM
Heinrich hurries towards the sound of Klaus' cry, bow at the ready, and the key he found secreted in a pouch.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 07:15:09 PM
[Cannon, Fandir and Finlay]

Heinrich reaches the intersection with the entry hatch. He thinks the sound came from the right passage... which is also where the goblin's trail leads. Heading that way, he soon comes upon Klaus: soaked with sewer water, groping his way along the wall without a light source. A moment later, another light comes bobbing down the passage. Heinrich readies his bow, but then lowers it again. It's Julian.

They probably have some explaining to do.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 06, 2012, 07:25:43 PM
[commandant]

The sergeant is surprised by Mortus's generosity (a gold crown buys quite a lot of drinks, after all). "Thank you, miss," he says, "that's very good of you. We were only doing our job - the town council wants the fair to be as safe as possible. The town'd look bad if anything happened to our guests." The gold crown vanishes into his belt pouch. "The trouble with getting this many people into one place is rumours spread real fast. I don't know how they start - I bet it's people up to mischief, telling stories. Before you know it, you've got an angry crowd insisting that there's an army of duckmen advancing on the town, or that Altdorf has burned down and the wizards want to move their colleges here, or something like that. The plague story's just another one. No truth to it, as far as I know. Now, you enjoy the fair miss. Good day to you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 06, 2012, 07:33:00 PM
"Well, Klaus, looks like you got into..." Heinrich puts sunglasses on "some deep shit."



YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 07, 2012, 12:52:25 AM
Klaus winces when he steps into the light of Heinrichs lantern but looks incredibly relieved when he sees the Bounty Hunter.

"Heinrich! So good to see you...we found a horribly mutilated Dwarf down there." He points to where he came from. "After I had investigated the body I had to leave for some fresh air, the smell down here is just horrid, and I slipped on the treacherous small walkways. I think Julian wanted to check something in the tunnels."

Klaus surely looks like shit not only is he drenched in the sewage water but also his skin looks pale and his eyes wide in terror.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 07, 2012, 01:16:41 AM
Heinrich assesses the situation, and suppresses a chuckle.

"I know how you feel Klaus, as I took an unwelcome dip in that foetid stuff earlier today. Why don't you head back and get yourself cleaned up. See if you can find Mortus. Julian and I will find this goblin."

Heinrich turns toward Julian
"Sounds like things might be more dangerous than I expected friend. Put this on." Heinrich tosses his spare Sallet helm to the dwarf (not the black one, which he is wearing). "We'll track down this little fiend in no time."

"But first, did you happen to notice this odd door back here?" Heinrich motions back toward the door. "I found a key, and was just about to investigate it when I heard the commotion. I'd like to take a look inside."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 07, 2012, 01:33:03 AM
Klaus nods and leaves the sewers finding some bathhouse to clean himself and his clothes and equipment.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 08:56:25 AM
[Fandir]

Klaus climbs the ladder and emerges into the street. It's wonderful to feel the sun on his face again, and to hear the raucous sounds of the crowds again. He feels like he's crawled out of his own grave and is back among the living!

Unfortunately, he's filthy and soaking wet. He might be able to get a bath at an inn, but only if he had a room there. Otherwise, the only option is a dip in the river.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 07, 2012, 09:00:32 AM
He will go to the next decent looking inn and spend some of his hard earned money, so no shabby commoners establishment but nothing overly fancy either. If the innkeep sneers at him because of his appearance he will tell some tale how he was down in the sewers to hunt down the dangerous mutant that escaped the inn and while doing this heroic duty came to be in his state of defilement. If people are interested he will spice the tale with dark and dangerous it was down there...with rats large as hounds and the blood curling screams of the Monster that once in a while pierced the silence. After the bath and some wine Klaus will start to look for Mortus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 04:20:37 PM
Klaus sees an inn just down the street from the manhole he's just climbed out of. It's a plain looking, two-level building with a sign that shows a pair of crossed pikes. He thinks it looks a fair option, and walks towards it. People in the street shy away from him as he passes, expressions of disgust on their faces. A few of them shout insults, or rather obvious jokes.

Klaus goes through the door into a low-ceilinged taproom. The room is busy - all the tables are occupied, and there are a lot of people standing too. Klaus goes up to the bar, finding again that people step aside as he comes near. The landlord, a thin man with dark, greasy hair, says, "Hey you, no sewer rats in here!" This raises a laugh from the other customers.

Klaus asks for a bath, and when the landlord frowns he launches into an elaborate story of heroism and danger: one man's quest into the awful darkness of the underworld to hunt down a huge and terrible monster. The story seems to interest at least some of the nearby tavern patrons, and even the landlord looks impressed... or at least amused.

"All right then hero, we'll get you a bath. And get those clothes rinsed out too, yes? It'll cost you 3 shillings. Jenny!" he calls to a barmaid - a young woman in a low-cut dress, "Jenny, take the hero into the back room there and prepare him a bath. Take his clothes out back and clean them up too." He winks at her as he says this.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 07, 2012, 04:36:11 PM
Julian puts his helm on while thanking Heinrich.

He doesn't really want to go through the door... but seeing Heinrich's imposing form, and the weapons strung on his back, not only has slightly reassured him, but means he doesn't want to appear cowardly.

"Aye, we can check the door... if you want I can open it, and you can cover me with your bow... There is something nasty down here"

Julian then fully explains the dwarfs injuries to Heinrich. "I can't believe the goblin did that to him... but then if not surely the goblin himself will be in danger. It would be good if we had found his body... save us some trouble and get us that reward"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 07, 2012, 07:05:24 PM
"Make that 5 shillings and also mend those torn knees I must have gotten from crawling through the small passage to get even deeper into that hellpit."

Klaus produces his pretty filled purse and with a smile tells the maid.

"I rather keep this to myself, no offense."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 10:24:10 PM
[Cannon and Finlay]

Julian has a map of the sewers, which he shows to Heinrich.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/sewermap.jpg)

They entered at the manhole at point A. The breathing hole the goblin entered by is at S1, while the strange door is at S2. The dead dwarf was found on the passage leading towards S7 - about halfway along it.

[and no, the other numbers aren't all important places! Some of them might be though...]


The two of them return to the strange door. Julian inserts the key and turns it, while Heinrich covers him with his bow. Cautiously, Julian pushes the door open. It hits an obstruction after opening halfway.

On the other side is what appears to be a cellar. In front of the door is a pile of crates (which the half-open door is now touching), high enough to block the view into the rest of the cellar - and also high enough to conceal the door from the other side. There is a way around the crates to the left. There are torches burning somewhere beyond the crates.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 07, 2012, 10:28:25 PM
Heinrich will proceed as quietly and cautiously as possible.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 10:40:05 PM
Heinrich motions to Julian to stay where he is, and then very slowly creeps into the room. He's accustomed to moving stealthily in order to catch his targets unaware, and that experience serves him well now. He reaches the edge of the stack of crates, and looks cautiously around them.

The cellar is about 30 feet wide, and filled with crates and barrels - beer barrels, so it could be the cellar of a tavern or inn. In the middle of the room is a table with four chairs around it. Sitting in one of the chairs is a young man with reddish hair, dressed in shabby clothes. He's playing a card game by himself. There's a loaded crossbow and a wooden club on the table. He hasn't heard or seen Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 07, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
Heinrich will surreptitiously inspect one of the crates. The young man looks like some kind of guard, and Heinrich suspects some kind of illicit activity might be taking place.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 11:02:58 PM
[Fandir]

The landlord takes Klaus's money eagerly, and serves him a drink to have while he waits for his bath [wine, wasn't it?]. "This way, sir" Jenny says, leading him through a door behind the bar into a small, private room. She asks him to wait, before going through another door on the other side of the room. She returns shortly with two boys carrying a wooden bath tub. They set it down, and then make trips filling it with hot water from the kitchens. "Your bath will be ready soon, sir," Jenny says, smiling, "if you'd like to give me your clothes I'll get them cleaned - and the knees patched up too."

Klaus removes his clothes, watched by the admiring barmaid. But when he pointedly tells her he's keeping his money and other valuables with him, she frowns, takes the clothes, and storms out of the room. When the bath is ready, Klaus gets in. The warm water feels wonderful, and Klaus begins to feel as though the events in the sewer were just a bad dream.

He stays in the bath until Jenny returns with his clothes, damp but relatively clean and (rather clumsily) mended. She drops them on the floor next to the bath and walks out without a word. Klaus dries himself off with a towel left for him, dresses, and goes back to the bar.

"Ah, it's the hero of Bogenhagen!" the landlord says with a chuckle, "another drink, hero? Or maybe you're hungry? The Crossed Pikes does the best mutton stew in town. I'm Franz Baumann by the way."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 07, 2012, 11:09:44 PM
"Not yet a hero, but out to become one dear Franz, and hence no more time to spend. Even though your drink and food most likely would taste as splendid as Jenny is beautiful, I have to leave."

Klaus pays his 5 Shilling and leaves the tavern to look for Mortus, he walks to the fair in good spirits to find her and together with her wait at the exit of the sewers.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 11:13:01 PM
[Cannon and Finlay]

Heinrich signals to Julian that there is someone else in the room, and then carefully inspects the nearest crate. It's nailed shut, and is marked with what is presumably the brand of one of the local merchant families - the sign of a barrel with an odd, twisted device on its side. The other crates nearby are also marked with different brands. Heinrich sees one with a stylized rose, another with a gauntlet holding an ear of corn, and one with a lion's head over three rings. They look like stolen goods.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 07, 2012, 11:21:37 PM
[Fandir and Commandant]

Baumann looks a bit offended that Klaus is leaving so soon. But, he has plenty of other customers to occupy his time. Klaus leaves the tavern and goes back into the street. He leaves by the nearby postern gate, passing the Festival Court on his way to the main part of the fair.

Klaus wanders around for a while, looking for Mortus. Then he notices a disturbance of some kind - a patrol of watchmen are dispersing a small crowd, and have taken one man into custody. The sergeant is just finishing talking to a woman, and then leaves with his patrol, heading for the Festival Court. The woman he was talking to is Mortus. Klaus calls out to her, and she comes to meet him. He explains what's been happening in the sewers, while she tells him about the room she's booked for them all at the Surprised Goat in town. He suggests they go and wait by the sewer exit for Heinrich and Julian to return.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 08, 2012, 03:18:20 AM
Sensing this could be dangerous, Heinrich moves back to the door and motions Julian outside. He carefully closes the door silently, then relays his suspicions to the dwarf.

"I think we may have stumbled upon a ring of thieves. I know we're after the goblin, but breaking up this ring might earn us a big reward. We could pursue the goblin, and come back later, or we could take this ring down and then pursue the goblin. What do you think? There's one guard, I think I can take him out silently."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 10:51:59 AM
[incidentally, Julian has maps of both the town and the sewers, and his experience and skill allow him to easily match places in the sewer to their equivalent over-ground locations.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
"Wait at a sewer exit," Mortus looks disgusted.   "Why would we do that when we can get some pie and good wine.   I am going to find a civilised wine shop.   You wanna come?"   She bats her eyelashes at him and smiles.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 01:17:32 PM
"I knew from the very instant I met you that you are the brains of this operation. I guess the other two will manage fine without us. Lead the way dear lady."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 01:19:41 PM
Mortus laughes.   

"If you would offer a lady your arm?" she says and taking Klaus' arm she will go off in seach of a pie shop with good pies and wine that is not too over crowded.   "And if a lady can be so bold what have you being doing since I left Heinrich to cover himself in sewage again."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 01:26:32 PM
Klaus offers his arm and smiles.

"Well Ranald be blessed I had some great fun at the gambling den and one a fortune, hence I would like to invite you for the wine and pie. After that my luck fickle as it is left me and I lost some money, Julian most likely saved me before things became to dire he said something about a goblin we had to hunt down. Turned out it was the Mutant that was part of the freak show..we went into the sewers to find him and instead we found a dead Dwarf...ripped to pieces by some foul monster. I couldnīt stand the smell any longer and had to leave the place. While leaving I tripped and fell into the sewage, when I met Heinrich he told me to find you and escort you to the Sewer entrance. I took a bath...well and found you. Lets get that wine and pie and we can walk slowly to a place near the sewer entrance and wait for a sign of them."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 01:31:12 PM
Mortus looks slightly shocked when Ranadl is mentioned and glances around with a worried look on her face.   

"Maybe there is a nice pie shop close by," she suggests.   "You didn't by any chance happen across one while looking for me."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 08, 2012, 01:32:42 PM
“Let’s follow the Goblin’s trail. From all those crates it doesn’t look like these boys will be moving anytime soon. I think we should put the key back where it was, so they don’t realize anyone knows they have been found.”

Julian then checks the maps to see  what is above the crate filled room.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 01:40:37 PM
"I have found a rather nice inn close to the entrance they had great wine and I am sure they also have something nice to eat. Maybe they even have a place close to a window from which we can see the entrance of the sewers and spot Heinrich and Julian should the emerge."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 01:46:48 PM
Julian then checks the maps to see  what is above the crate filled room.

Julian can see there is a building of some sort directly above the room, but the town map doesn't list what it is. However, since it is located in the commercial district is it likely to be either a shop, or an inn or tavern. The closest marked buildings on the map are the main guard barracks, and the Tailor's Guild: these are each about 50 yards from the unknown building, in opposite directions.

Finding the building once back above ground will be easy.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 01:48:02 PM
"Well maybe we should go there so,"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
So Klaus and Mortus will walk over to the beforementioned Tavern. Klaus will greet the Barman and order some more wine and ask if there is any good pie to be had. He will look around in the room for a place from which he might see the sewer entrance or the area around, but doesnīt care too much if there is no such place. Also he will smile at the maid Jenny....of course she understands that he doesnīt trust some common wenche serving in a second rate inn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 02:16:53 PM
The Crossed Pikes is a bit less crowded than it was when Klaus was there earlier. There's a free table near the window that has a good view of the street - including the manhole cover. Mortus takes a seat at the table while Klaus goes to the bar. Baumann, the landlord, greets Klaus warmly. "Ah, the hero is back again! And with his lady, too. Jenny will be so disappointed! It's as well she's gone home now. We've a fine Reikland 2508, if that'll serve. How about Beef and Mushroom pie with that?"

Klaus pays Baumann (the bill is 12 shillings) and goes to sit with Mortus - bringing the bottle of wine and two cups with him. The food arrives after a while, brought to them by the cook - a small man with an eyepatch.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/cook.png)

The wine and the pies are quite good. There's no sign of anyone coming out of the sewers yet - it may be a long wait.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 03:00:19 PM
"So....Mortus from what part of the grand Empire are you from? Any brothers and sisters? What brought you on the streets you donīt look like a bounty hunter type like Heinrich nor some glory hound like me travelling the Empire."

While speaking Klaus massages the stiff fingers of his right hand and also out of the corner of his eye trying to gauge all the fellows in the tavern...maybe there would be some kind of people up for a game of dices.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 03:32:09 PM
"I hail from Nordland," Mortus says as she sips her wine.   It is good wine.   "My father is a wine merchant so I am here to sample to local wines and see if there are any to bring back to the north."    She sips her wine again.   "There are some nice vintages here.   I might ask the landlord where he got it.   What are you doing here?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 03:36:32 PM
"Well....that is kind of a long story and one best told at some campfire with more audience. I hail from Averland and lets just say I wanted to escape the gray and constricting surrounding of my family home and see the wonders of the Old World. So basically I am looking for everything interesting whatever has to offer to me and hopefully becoming rich and famous on the way. Donīt you think it is a bit dangerous travelling around alone? Nordland wine? Never heard of any wine hailing from Nordland do you import over Marienburg?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 03:52:20 PM
"It is safe enough when you travel on populated roads and not at night.   There are not many interesting wines in Nordland but there are people there that are interested in wine.   We sometimes go to Averland to look for wine and we do quite a lot of trade with the House of Drochfion in Aldorf.   I don't know if you have heard of them.   We do some trade with Marienburg but my father is not fond of traitors to the Empire and he views Marienburg that way." she says smiling.   She pauses to sip her wine again and take a bite from the pie.   "Your family home, are you of noble birth?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 08, 2012, 04:00:12 PM
"Well.....I am not a person to boast (no comments please :-D) but as you already have noticed, yes I am a Bastard born to one of the nobles of the city of Pfungzig in Averland, as I donīt want to spill any dishonour on the house itself I want to keep the family name secret. Even though no legit son of his my father shared his fatherly love between my true born brothers and me but the Wanderlust got to me and so I left the place. Living under the stars is so much more interesting than being captive in a vault of stone and even though sometimes I miss the linen and feather stuffed beds I am always compensated on my travels by meeting incredible interesting people" ī

Stating this he toastes towards Mortus and takes a few bites of the pie.

Klaus raised his voice slightly so other people in the tavern might pick up on the story, and hopes that someone is interested in his false tales.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 08, 2012, 04:18:20 PM
"Being noble born I assume that you would have a fine taste in wine," Mortus says slowly.   "The nobles of Nordland are always interested in a good new wine.   If you could point me in the general direction of a new one there might be a finders fee of say 20% of the profit of the first run in it for you.   I do understand wanderlust.   You have no idea how annoyed my father was when I told him that I wanted to search for new wines.   He declared that our current importation was more than enough but I also wanted the see the beauty of the south."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 08, 2012, 09:16:33 PM
“Let’s follow the Goblin’s trail. From all those crates it doesn’t look like these boys will be moving anytime soon. I think we should put the key back where it was, so they don’t realize anyone knows they have been found.”

Julian then checks the maps to see  what is above the crate filled room.
Heinrich nods. He carefully closes and locks the door, and replaces the key where he found it, then sets off with Julian to find the gobbo.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 10:15:39 PM
Heinrich and Julian set off along the sewer passageway, back to where Julian found the dead dwarf. When they arrive, the body is covered in rats - the creatures scatter as the lantern light falls on them. The face has been eaten half away, but Heinrich recognizes Gottri Gurnisson, the dwarf he freed from the stocks earlier today.

Since there's nothing they can do for Gottri, unless they want to retrieve his body for burial, they continue following the goblin's trail. It leads them another hundred yards or so, before reaching another wooden door set into the sewer wall  (S7 on the map). This one is much better constructed than the door that lead to the cellar, and has a barred window set into it. The blood trail leads right to the door, and there is a clear, goblin-sized foot print halfway up. Heinrich notices blood on the bars also - the gap is small, but the goblin could have forced its way through. Looking through the window, he sees a large cellar, partly lit by a flickering torch on a wall sconce. There is a strange pattern of some sort on the floor. There's no immediate sign of the goblin, and no sound coming from the room. The creature could be lurking in the shadows, hiding - or lying in ambush.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/room.jpg)
[white square because there was text over the picture!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 08, 2012, 10:24:52 PM
Heinrich will examine the door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 08, 2012, 10:26:28 PM
as will Julian, using his super engineering powers.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 10:30:08 PM
There's no lock on the door, but it is bolted from the other side. Julian could use his tools to lever it open it with minimal effort.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 08, 2012, 10:35:17 PM
"I can open the door, but it might be noisy... What do you think Heinrich?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 08, 2012, 10:48:31 PM
"I can open the door, but it might be noisy... What do you think Heinrich?"

"Do you have any idea which building we might be under?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 10:55:18 PM
Julian checks his maps, and determines that the room is under a building on Kaufman Strasse, in the commerical district and close to the Adel Ring (where the town's richest people live). The map does not show what the building is.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 08, 2012, 10:59:30 PM
Julian checks his maps, and determines that the room is under a building on Kaufman Strasse, in the commerical district and close to the Adel Ring (where the town's richest people live). The map does not show what the building is.

"Well, the gobbo went in there, so we have little choice. Open it."

Heinrich readies his bow, ready to shoot anything that comes through the door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 11:07:45 PM
Julian takes out his tools, and sets about breaking open the door. He does this with considerable efficiency and skill, so it is only a short time before he is done.

The first thing they see, close to the door, is a small pile of broken, chewed and fresh bones, including a three-socketed pelvis.

On the floor is a circle of copper, some 3" thick and 15' in diameter. Inside this is painted a five-pointed star, with a silver candlestick holding an unlit, black candle set at each point. In the centre of the star is a drawing of some sort of beast's head, with writing around it. There is blood on the drawing - Julian's dwarfish eyes can tell, even in the poor light, that the blood is greenish.

Beyond the circle, an iron cabinet stands in one corner. In the opposite corner, something small and white like a piece of cloth lies on the floor.

But they have only a moment to take all this in. Suddenly, a thick cloud of sulpherous smoke rises from the centre of the circle, accompanied by a hideous, unearthly wailing. The smoke billows out all around Heinrich and Julian, before dispersing to reveal a ghastly, tentacled abomination within the circle. Its misshapen hands pound the floor, its tentacles writhe and thrash in the air, and its single eye burns with the torments of the damned.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/monster.png)


Make a fear test! [% roll against Cl]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 08, 2012, 11:25:59 PM
[50]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 08, 2012, 11:33:41 PM
[fear test passed]

Julian is shaken by the sudden appearance of a nameless squid-demon from another reality, but doesn't let it show. He's able to act normally.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 09, 2012, 12:11:28 AM
[5]

HA! Take THAT!

If I'm still sane, I shoot it. Many times.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 12:15:53 AM
[also passed, clearly!]

Heinrich has seen a lot of nasty things in his time. He's never seen anything like this before, except for that one time at the Nipponese restaurant in Marienburg... but he ate that meal anyway, and he's not scared of this thing either.

Heinrich can act normally.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 12:24:32 AM
The demon looks surprised that no one is afraid of it. It pauses, as if trying to decide what to do. Heinrich already has his bow prepared, and shoots an arrow at it:

[To hit roll = 05, hits left arm. Damage roll = 4. S3+4-T5 = 2 wounds caused]

The arrow hits the monster in the arm, sinking into its gelatinous flesh and causing it some pain - it roars again, an oscillating sound that echoes maddeningly off the stone walls.

Julian is next to act.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 12:51:27 AM
[meanwhile, back with Fandir and commandant at the tavern]

Klaus's stories have attracted the interest of a small number of tavern patrons, several of whom have offered to buy him drinks, before asking him questions about his high-born family and his exciting adventures. No one is interested in gambling though, despite Klaus's offers. Mortus watches with amusement.

It's starting to get dark outside, and there is still no sign of the sewer expedition's return. Four men enter the tavern that Mortus recognizes - it's the watch sergeant and his patrol who rescued her from the angry crowd earlier. The sergeant, now dressed in civilian clothing, sees her and raises his hand in greeting, before going to the bar to spend the money she gave him.

As the evening goes on, the street outside the window seems to take on an unearthly look. A thick fog is gathering, lit by unusually bright moonlight. Mortus goes to the window and looks up into the sky - as she thought, Morrslieb, the witch moon, is full tonight. But it should be a crescent at the moment. Something is wrong: the witch moon responds to unnatural forces, and a departure from the usual cycle is a strong indication of trouble. The other moon, Mannslieb, is nowhere to be seen.

"Looking at the moon, are ya," a blond man with a thin beard says, "funny, I heard a madman on Gottenplatz ranting about the moon this morning. He said the face of the moon would show the fate of the town, or some such rubbish. It don't look like nothing but a bright rock to me."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 09:46:55 AM
Klaus starts to feel guilty that he left the other two in the sewer alone and right now is tipsy enough to feel brave enough to go back down there....but should they be dead he wouldnīt want to go down there alone but Mortus is the daughter of a wine seller so no real help.

Several of the patrons listening to him might be able to join him on his trip down in the sewers as they might be drunk too on wine and on his stories of glory especially those guys that came in last. Klaus tries to gauge who he might convince to follow him and who also might be an actual help if there might be problems down there. After checking his chances he would like to call for silence...and proclaim that his friends are overdue so most likely they have found the monster and overpowered it and now have problems carrying it out of there so who would be up to come join him in helping them out. He will add that even helping to carry the beast will make it possible to call themselves Heroes of Bogenhafen, and the next round of drinks after the trip will be on Klaus again.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 10:49:44 AM
Klaus needs to make an inspiring speech if he wants many people to follow him into the sewers... even to a drunk crowd, this is a hard thing to sell.

[Make a Ld test to see how successful you are. You can add 20% to your Ld for this roll because of your bribery skill (you are bribing them with potential glory, and also drinks). you may be able to modify your roll by another 10% if you use your luck... assuming it hasn't run out for the day.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 10:51:57 AM
OOC: As I have not used my luck yet....now is the time....leadership...why leadership I suck at leadershipping! Well but ok with bribery and luck I might stand a chance....now to the roll.

88


.....damn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 11:06:03 AM
[You did use luck once, way back at the start of this thread... but in any case that roll sucks wombat balls.]

Klaus tries his best to motivate the crowd to follow him, but he doesn't make a very convincing leader. Only two people seem interested in joining him. One is a fat, sweaty man whose shirt is soaked with beer and seems to be having trouble standing upright. "Yeeeeaaah, I wanna go kill monstas inna sewer!" he slurrs, waving his tankard around like a club, "I'm Boris!"

The other is a short, skinny student - he's with a group of other students, who have been heckling Klaus all through his speech. As the speech finishes, one of them shoves the skinny student forward and says, "Max wants to be a hero!" The others laugh, and chant his name over and over, "Max, Max, Max!" Max himself, annoyed at being teased and filled with drunken bravado, pulls off his shirt and raises his arms triumphantly in the air. His ribs are visible under his skin, and look like a xylophone. "I'm with you!" he shouts in a reedy voice. His friends cheer enthusiastically.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 11:19:15 AM
Klaus doesnīt show his disappointment with a broad smile he leads his two other heroes (that will die a horrible death should we run into trouble) into the sewers. Inside fear cramps his stomach and only his guilt towards Heinrich and Julian that were pretty nice and decent so far and also showing off so much in the tavern leave him with no option but to go on with his farce.

"Mortos it was a pleasant talk but I guess I will take a look after the other two and see if they are allright. Baumann my good man I guess I might need your bath tub a second time so it better is prepared when I am back."

Is there any source of light here, lanterns or torches?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 11:43:01 AM
Baumann looks very amused by Klaus and his (probably doomed) expedition. "Ay, we'll have the bath ready. Be back before closing time though! Midnight on the dot. It's dark down there, you know? Did you think of that?" He laughs, reaches under the bar and produces three large candles. "Take these with you - on the house!" He throws Klaus the candles. Klaus lights them from one of the candles in the room, and hands one each to Boris and Max.

Boris is armed with his tankard only. He misses the candle the first two times he reaches for it - his hand goes to the side both times. When he does manage to get his hand on it - his face racked with concentration - he waves it around, making the flame flicker and threaten to go out.

Max has a small knife in his hand. He seems to have thrown his shirt away, and one of his friends has drawn a crude picture of a penis on his chest in black ink. He accepts the candle, trying to look fierce and manly.

The three of them head into the street, to the cheers of the tavern patrons. Mortus remains behind, smiling to herself. Outside, the street is filled with freezing fog, lit in weird colours by the unearthly light of the witch moon. But, it's too late to go back. Klaus leads his small army to the manhole cover and they all descend into the darkness.

Boris slips on the ladder, and slides down awkwardly onto the walkway. He bashes his knee painfully. but seems to shake it off and is ready to go. Klaus remembers the way back to where they found the dwarf's corpse (the image of it comes into his head, and he shudders). He leads Boris and Max that way, turning left at the first junction they reach.

They have gone only a few yards along the new passage before the sewer water boils, and a horrible shape rises from the filth. The creature - whatever it is - is a shapeless mass nearly two yards across. Psuedopods extend from its slimy body, and it pulls itself onto the walkway in front of the group.

Klaus is first to act.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 12:05:26 PM
OOC: I made a fear check...well or rather coolness check to see how steady Klaus will be and rolled a 19. So I guess running at first sight isnīt the option right now.

"Sigmar save our souls! MAX STAB IT!"

With his Left Klaus takes a grab for Boris shirt to pull him in front of him if possible even drop him on top of that thing (checking what it will do to Boris will determine if Klaus turns tail or tries to fight that beast) with his right he tries to hold the candle as steady as possible to prevent the light from going out.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 09, 2012, 12:20:36 PM
Julian charges the monster and attacks it with his axe.

In the next round I'll try and get back out the room to chop its  tentacles off


I rolled 59
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 12:37:45 PM
[Two fights at once! Confusing!]

[Finlay, Cannon, and Squidotron]

Julian runs towards the creature, calling out to Grimnir as he swings his axe.

[to hit roll = 59, hits left leg (!), S2 + d6 roll of 4 - T5 = 1 wound caused]

He ducks under its flailing tentacles and deals it a superficial blow to the leg. Thick black ichor oozes from the wound. Screaming with demonic rage, it punches him with an enormous hand...

[new round, demon goes first]

[attack one: to hit roll =52 = miss!]

...but the attack goes wide, and misses entirely. Lowering its head, it whips its tentacles at him...

[attack two: to hit roll = 14, hits left arm, S4 + d6 roll of 1 - T6 - 1 for armour = no damage!]

... they hit his left arm, but too weakly to hurt the tough dwarf.


[Heinrich acts next. He can try to shoot past Julian to hit the monster (-10 to hit) or he could charge in to combat.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 12:55:13 PM
[Fandir and his gang vs the blob]

[the blob doesn't cause fear, so no need to test. But you passed anyway, so well done!]

Klaus grabs Boris and manages to shove him towards the blob. He sways unsteadily, swings his tankard at the thing...

[to hit roll = 37, miss!]

...and then falls onto it! The impact squashes the creature...

[S4 + d6 roll of 3 - T5 = 2 wounds to blob]

... but it immediately recovers and engulfs Boris! The poor man is absorbed into the thing's horrifying semi-liquid body.

With a cry of 'Sigmar!', Max charges forward with his dagger...

[to hit roll = 97, miss!]

...but he misses the thing entirely and jams his knife into a crack in the sewer wall. The blob lashes out with a pseudopod...

[to hit roll = 16, hit, hits body, S3 + d6 roll of 6 - T2, 7 wounds!]

...it strikes Max on the chest, knocking him backward so that he lands at Klaus's feet. The blob's attack has left a nasty burn across his chest, and has knocked him out.

Boris can still be seen inside the blob, thrashing around pitifully.

[new round, Klaus goes first.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 01:04:00 PM
OOC: how is the light I assume Max and Boris dropped their candles but are they still giving enough light? I would like to try to smash the blob with my club and also try to put the candle on to it.

Desperation gives Klaus enough courage to flail at the thing like a cornered rat trying to kill it with club and fire.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
[Fandir vs the blob]

Boris dropped his candle in the water when he fell, and Max's went in there too when the blob hit him. Klaus still has his lit, and it gives enough light to see the immediate area.

Klaus screams incoherently and smashes his club down onto what he hopes is a vulnerable part of the blob.

[to hit roll = 53... luck use! Modified to 43, which hits with charging bonus. S3 + d6 roll of 4 - T5 = 2 wounds to blob]

The thing quivers under the impact, and it gives Klaus a chance to set the candle flame against its surface. The blob reacts immediately and violently, moving backwards from the flame with astonishing haste. Even so, the chemicals on its skin have caught fire: it plunges into the water and submerges, leaving a trail of bubbles as it swims away. Sadly, Boris was still inside it when it left... but surely he must have been near death anyway?

Thankfully, the candle is still lit. Max moans softly - he's waking up.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 01:27:45 PM
Klaus with his eyes wide in fear pulls Max to his feet...He wonīt imagine what would have happened if it would have been him inside of that beast.

"GET UP MAN! it might come back....can you move?"

also he turns his head and tries to see any other light sources nearby....this thing might also have gotten Heinrich and Julian and already digested them, still Klaus will try to find them. He screams on top of his lungs.

"HEINRICH......JULIAN! IF YOU ARE ALIVE GIVE ME SOME SIGN!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 01:35:43 PM
[Cannon, Finlay, and Squidimus Prime]

[Cannon said 'shoot it many times' before, so I think he might want to have another shot while he has the chance.]

Heinrich calmly sends another arrow over Julian's head and into the demon.

[to hit roll = 20, hits head! S3 +d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 3 wounds]

The arrow strikes close to the monster's only eye.

Julian takes the opportunity to hit it with his axe...

[to hit roll = 43, hits right arm, S2 + d6 roll of 4 - T5 = 1 wound]

...the blow cuts across its arm, causing more ichor to flow.

[the demon has taken a total of 7 wounds now, 4 this round, and has caused none. It has lost combat, and staggers back slightly. Julian backs out of the door.]

A faint cry can be heard echoing through the passageway. It sounds a lot like Klaus:

"HEINRICH......JULIAN! IF YOU ARE ALIVE GIVE ME SOME SIGN!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 01:45:23 PM
[Fandir and Max]

Klaus pulls Max to his feet. "Wha... what happened? Where's... the other guy?" he doubles up, coughing, and is then violently sick. When he's done, he straightens up, puts his hand on Klaus's shoulder, and says, "I'm OK. Let's go!"

Klaus can't see any other light sources. He thinks he can hear some sort of horrible wailing coming from much further along the passageway. He shouts out to Heinrich and Julian, desperately hoping they can hear him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 02:11:20 PM
[Cannon, Finlay and Squidzilla]

[New combat round]

Heinrich and Julian are both outside the door now. The demon lunges forward, but can't get its shoulders through the door. Its head does reach through, so it lashes out with its tentacles at both of them.

[attack one, at Heinrich: to hit roll (-20 for fighting through a door it can't fit through) = 26, hit! Hits body. S4 +d6 roll of 6 (no additional damage) - T5 - 1 armour point = 4 wounds caused!

Heinrich is hit in the chest by a violent barrage of tentacle strikes [Heinrich is on 3 wounds].

[attack two, at Julian: to hit roll = 39 = miss, because of penalty to hit]

The demon fails to reach Julian.

Heinrich drops his bow, draws his axe, and goes for the creature.

[to hit roll = 8, hits body, S4+1 from skill + d6 roll of 2 - T5 = 2 wounds caused]

Ducking under the head, he slashes across its chest with his axe.

Julian also attacks with his axe:

[to hit roll = 39, hits left leg! S2+d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 2 wounds]

He somehow manages to hit its leg.

[the demon is now taken 11 wounds, 4 this round, and caused 4. Drawn combat]

[new round, demon goes first]

The demon again lashes with its tentacles.

[attack one, at Heinrich: to hit roll 32, miss due to penalty to hit]

[attack two, at Julian: to hit roll 70, miss]

Perhaps the injuries it has suffered are slowing it down, since the demon fails to hit either of them.

Heinrich attacks:

[to hit roll 15, hits left arm, S4 + 1 + d6 roll 6 (roll to hit again... yes... additional damage = 1) -T5 = 7 wounds caused]

He cuts deeply into the demon's already injured arm...

[total of 18 wounds caused. 17 on profile, -1 critical hit! % roll on chart = 95 = death!]

... and slices it completely off! Ichor pours from the wound in a torrent, and the demon falls backwards onto the circle. There is a tremendous noise, like the ringing of dozens of discordant bells, and the demon's body explodes into black smoke. No trace of it remains.

[Combat over! You won!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 02:17:03 PM
Klaus and Max hear the awful, bell-like noise, which echoes up and down the passageway for what seems like ages. Then everything falls silent.

"Uh, what d'you suppose that was?" Max asks, "shall we go and look?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 09, 2012, 02:26:50 PM
While they were fighting, Julian called to Klaus indicating where they are.

"You killed it,  I think. " Julian exclaims.

 "Whatever it is.

You look hurt. .. are you OK? "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 02:34:25 PM
OOC: Just read that Finlay called out.

Hearing of Julian Klaus exclaims to Max.....

"There was the voice of Julian calling might be they need our help lets go and investigate the noise.....best you go first in case that beast that got Boris returns it would be better if I can intercept it before it gets to you in your wounded state."


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 09, 2012, 02:46:35 PM
[Fandir and Max... not like Sam and Max]

Max nods, clearly not understanding what Klaus said. They set off down the passageway, Max in front. After a while, they see an open door set into the sewer wall. Standing beside it are Julian and Heinrich.


[Cannon and Finlay]

Heinrich was badly bruised by the demon's attack, but not seriously hurt - his armour protected him. He'll be fine in a few days. He and Julian are tired but excited after their combat: whatever that thing was, they killed it! It's a shame no one was here to see it.

Klaus arrives a moment later, carrying a candle and splattered with slime. With him is a short, skinny young man with ginger hair and no shirt on. He's walking unsteadily, and has a horrible burn mark extending across his chest.


The room the demon came from looks safe enough now.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 09, 2012, 04:15:07 PM
"You are alive.....thank the gods. Now lets get your stuff and leave this place there are monsters roaming the canals. Oh and this is Max brave hero of Bogenhafen, he got hurt by the beast and I think he is only barely conscious."


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 09, 2012, 05:30:19 PM
Julian feels an almost unnatural calm and clear headedness after that fight. The harsh reality of what he faced and the efficiency with which he and Heinrich dealt with it has steeled his mind.

"Looks like you needed my axe or Heinrich's bow with you... I think we should stick together in the future, obviously there is more danger here than we thought.

A demon... in the empire... almost unbelievable. Has anyone seen anything like this sign before?"

Julian then inspects the room thoroughly.

"At least we know what happened to the goblin. I hope the clerk and the owner of the freakshow will still pay us. I'd like some armour or at least a shield for the future."

Julian takes the three socketed pelvis and holds it up with his arm extended. "anyone want to carry this?" he says making it clear that he will not do it.

Julian also suddenly rememberes the instructions to inspect the sewers, so will now do that in this room, and all the way back when they leave.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 09, 2012, 10:20:55 PM
Heinrich breathes heavily. His ribs hurt, but he felt the familiar thrill of facing death and winning.

"Klaus. Who's your friend?" Heinrich gestures to the boy as he looks for something to use to clean off his ichor covered axe.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 12:41:25 AM
Klaus eyes become as big as boiled eggs....maybe even ostrich eggs.

"Demons?!.....you didnīt just say Demons did you? What is going on here, we have to inform the authority on this. We...that is Max here, dear Boris, may he rest in peace, and me were also attacked by something, some tentacle rubber goo thing that swallowed Boris and only fled when I set it on fire. Hmmmm ahhhh maybe I am drunk and dreaming while I lie at some tavern floor in my own drivel."

Klaus smiles for a moment before he takes the candle into his left and pinches himself looking immensly dissapointed that he is not waking up.


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 10, 2012, 01:11:12 AM
Max seems to come to his sense a bit more. "Klaus saved my life!" he says to Heinrich, "there was this horrible thing that ate Boris, and it tried to eat me too..." he touches the burn on his chest, and winces, "merciful Shallya, this hurts. Anyway, it hit me, and I fell. When I woke up again, it was gone. Klaus drove it off - he was like Sigmar reborn!" He takes Klaus's hand and shakes it. "I don't know how I can repay you, Klaus. I'm going to stay with you and protect you while you investigate whatever terrible thing has been happening in these sewers. Oh, I seem to have lost my knife though. I'll have to get another one... or maybe I need a sword! I always wanted to be a soldier, but father insisted on sending me to Nuln to study law. He said it was the only chance a runt like me had of making anything of himself." Max looks down at the floor, his face red with shame, as he remembers his father's harsh words.


Julian inspects the room - he only got a glance at the contents before the demon arrived, but now he can look properly. The copper circle and five-pointed star are obviously a magical contrivance for summoning demons, but that's something Julian knows nothing about, thankfully. In the central part of the star is a drawing of a beast's head, around which is written 'Ordo Septenarius.'

There are five large and very fine silver candlesticks that have to be worth 10 gold crowns each. Each has an ordinary black candle in it. There's a scrap of cloth in one corner of the room - this turns out to be a handkerchief, made of Cathayan silk, embroidered with the letters F.S.

In the other corner of the room is a sturdy metal cabinet that is of course locked. Julian checks it for traps, but it looks safe. He can probably break the hinges with his tools if he wants to look inside.

The room itself is very well-constructed, and relatively new. It must have been built at great expense. Something about it is bothering Julian... and then he realises that part of the wall, in the corner where the handkerchief was found, is a slightly different colour to the rest. Tapping on it with his hammer, he determines to his satisfaction that there is a hidden door there, no doubt leading to a staircase and the building above. He searches for a trigger mechanism for the door, but finds none. Often, this sort of door can only be opened from one side. He might be able to break through from this side, but only with a lot of time, effort, and noise.

Julian resolves to survey the sewer passages on the way back to the surface, so he can report on their condition to the authorities. Klaus's story about a sewer monster is probably worth relating to them also... not to mention the demon.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 10, 2012, 01:25:59 AM
[Experience points!]

For fighting the demon and the blob, finding the hidden room, finding the body of Gottri Gurnisson, and generally being heroic in a nasty sewer, Heinrich, Julian and Klaus get 50 experience points each!

For good roleplaying over the past 'gaming session,' Heinrich, Julian, Klaus and Mortus get 50 experience points each!

Sorry Commandant: staying out of the sewers makes sense for your character, but it doesn't help you get the points for achieving plot goals.

So Heinrich, Julian and Klaus can spend their 100 EXP on a stat increase right now, if they like (may as well - no point saving them at this stage).
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 10, 2012, 01:30:37 AM
Heinrich offers the boy his knife. "No need to go unarmed."
Then he gathers the candlesticks and pelvic bone in his net, forming a makeshift loot bag. He slings this over his back.
"Julian, do you think there might be valuables in this cabinet? We should loot this bastard for everything we can, then report him to the guard."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 10, 2012, 01:37:19 AM
Max accepts Heinrich's knife gratefully. "Thank you, sir. I'll take good care of it, and I'll give it back just as soon as I can get a new one for myself." He seems pathetically eager to please, like a puppy that's been rejected too many times before.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 02:02:36 AM
"Max you did well, most men would have run away at such a horrid sight but you charged at it and wounded it so I could finish it off. You did well."

Klaus pats Max on the shoulder.

"Heinrich...great idea I suggest we start with these fine candlesticks." Klaus looks at them but seems relcutant to touch the objects perhaps because he thinks them cursed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 10, 2012, 10:48:02 AM
I'm worried about alerting whoever uses this room. But I suppose they would miss the demon,  and I already broke the door.

If you guys want me to open the crate,  I'll do it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 10:49:06 AM
Do it.....and I think after that we should leave for the exit....taking that handkerchief with us if there are guards or demon worshipers around they might overtake us.

Hmm....it looks like the goblin was vital for the ritual to summon the demon, could you tell me what it looked like as I have never in my life seen a demon....well only the coloured glass ones in the churches. I wonder if we should investigate a bit more how it came that the goblin broke free. The person who needed its blood might be the person who set it free to escape in the first place.

Max best you take a rest and if a fight should erupt flee and get more help....here take the candle.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 10, 2012, 11:01:37 AM
Julian will open the crate.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 10, 2012, 11:07:48 AM
Do it.....and I think after that we should leave for the exit....taking that handkerchief with us if there are guards or demon worshipers around they might overtake us.

Hmm....it looks like the goblin was vital for the ritual to summon the demon, could you tell me what it looked like as I have never in my life seen a demon....well only the coloured glass ones in the churches. I wonder if we should investigate a bit more how it came that the goblin broke free. The person who needed its blood might be the person who set it free to escape in the first place.

Max best you take a rest and if a fight should erupt flee and get more help....here take the candle.

"The Demon? Are you sure you want me to describe it? I was a great ugly beast, with a single baleful eye, and a dozen tentacles instead of limbs. Julian charged it with great bravery, and we were barely able to banish it 'ere it made a snack of us."

Heinrich noticed Julian tapping his hammer against the wall.

"Is there some passage behind that wall? Perhaps we can go and bring the uncouth fellow who summoned that monster to task for his misdeed. Surely we would be rewarded for bringing him to justice, dead or alive."

Heinrich pats his axe.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 11:28:10 AM
"But Heinrich.....a witcher being able to summon demons most likely is a dangerous foe perhaps we should get some help before confronting the villain. Hmmm so they are nothing at all like the churchglass demons, those have wings and long sharp teeth....and two eyes."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 10, 2012, 11:36:08 AM
"But Heinrich.....a witcher being able to summon demons most likely is a dangerous foe perhaps we should get some help before confronting the villain. Hmmm so they are nothing at all like the churchglass demons, those have wings and long sharp teeth....and two eyes."

"It is possible, but we are also dangerous foes, and having already banished this demon, I think it unlikely we should run into another. Without a pet demon he might only be able to cast spells, and I am given to believe that is a difficult thing to do when you are poked full of holes. Think of the money to be made, Klaus! You could gamble for a week, and we could buy your young friend a new shirt and a proper weapon!

I do worry about Mortus, though, being left in the city with no escort."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 11:41:05 AM
"Last time I saw her she was flirting with a tall blond guy who entered the tavern with a bunch of friends....they even seemed to know each other so she should be fine. Hmmm......so Julian do you think you can open that secret door?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 10, 2012, 01:43:46 PM
Mortus is waiting peacefully in the inn.   Since Klaus has left she has sipped her wine only sparingly and focused on her food though she has only taken a few bites.   She seems to be thinking very hard about something.   After a few minutes she calls the innkeeper over to ask him about the wine, listens to his answers, nods and then orders another glass, though her glass is still full and pays for it.
She had considered if she should go after Klaus and maybe try to rally the now drunken inn people to follow her, but she decided against it.   There was no need to take the risk of going into the sewer.   She just wants to buy some fine wine and return home.   Still she needs to wait until Heinrich reappears to give him his share of the gold.   For a second she considers disappearing.   40 gold crowns will buy her a fine horse.   She could be long gone from Bogenhafen before Heinrich discovered she was missing, but she dose not go.   Something is nagging at her, dragging her back to Bogenhafen.   She narrows her eyes and sips her wine again.   All she can do is wait for them to return

(OOC: Don't worry about it Rufus.   My upgrade is so much shorter than theirs anyways and I think staying in character is more important.)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 10, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Max looks very proud when Klaus tells him he did well. Eager to help further, he goes into the room and looks at the summoning circle. When he sees the words written at the centre, he kneels down and looks at them closely. "This is written in Classical Reman," he says, "I studied that at university. 'Ordo Septenarius' - that means 'the seven-part order, or something like that. It sounds like a secret club where people dabble in magic. There were some at the university... nothing I was ever involved in, of course! I've seen pentagrams like this before too. It's a common magical symbol." He looks around, nervously. "Uh, we studied the magical language at university too. It's part of the curriculum."


Julian takes out his vast array of hammers, chisels, spikes, saws and other tools, and sets about breaking open the metal cabinet. It takes him almost half an hour, but eventually he succeeds. It shouldn't have been that difficult - it was if some unnatural force was working against him.

Inside is a human skull, with an iron band around it like a crown. The skull is curiously distorted: the eye sockets are too large, the cheek bones too pointed, and there are far too many teeth. Also in the cabinet is a beautiful silver tray, decorated with scenes from the Deus Sigmar, that is likely worth 20 gold coins or more. Resting on the tray is an elaborate and very sharp dagger, the blade and handle of which are covered in relatively fresh blood - the blood is not greenish like the goblin's.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 10, 2012, 06:52:12 PM
Are we going to take any of this magical stuff?  Worth a bit, but it would be easy to trace.


Yes,  there was a secret door in the corner . But I don't think I could open it from this side. We need to  investigate above ground.

But we also need to investigate the thieves.

I think we should find mortus, claim our reward then go to sleep.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 07:16:36 PM
"Shouldnīt we inform the city guard....the Knights Templar, the Elector Count? We are talking demons here, the bane of mankind. If there are chaos worshippers here who knows what is about to happen?"

Klaus looks very uneasy as he is superstitious and scared by the ruinous powers as like any good peasant born his parents told him myriad stories how the powers of chaos would come and haunt him should he do bad things.....Boris haunts him.

"I say we wrap all the stuff up as evidence and get out here, report to the authorities and then maybe try to figure out what is going on."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 10, 2012, 07:23:52 PM
This room is below the richest part of town... we have no idea how far the conspiracy has spread.

We need to find an official we can trust... But first we can claim the reward for the goblin from the circus owner and the clerk, as well as inspecting the sewers on the way out. I'm starting to feel uneasy here, we mustn't linger. We do not want to be here when the owners come back.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 10, 2012, 07:27:22 PM
Klaus`s face lightens up as he is convinced by the logic of Julians line of thinking.

"Ok...so lets take everything with us as we surely might harm the ruinous powers at work if we steal their tools of the trade. Leaving this place is also a splendid idea.  What thieves have you mentioned earlier? Oh and Max, I can understand that you are keen on proving yourself but in your state of health I would suggest for you to stay back a bit, we have some talking to do once we get out of here alive as I think right now your kind spirit leads to a very bad choice of companions and friends, but fear not if you stick to me I will help you avoid such bad influence on you. Heinrich what would you say?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 10, 2012, 10:29:56 PM
Heinrich takes the dagger and wipes it clean, then tucks it into his belt as a replacement for his knife.

"I say we take everything saleable, and destroy whatever is evil."

Heinrich will snatch up the misshapen skull and smash it to pieces, then kick the pieces into the sewer canal along with the black candles that had been in the candlesticks. He will put the tray in with the candlesticks to sell when they get out.

"I still would like to investigate beyond that secret door. As you say, it may be difficult to find an official we can trust, and we wouldn't know where to start. It is much better to have the criminal in hand, with undeniable evidence, in my experience. Then, no matter how corrupt the official, he will have to reward us to keep his own station."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 10, 2012, 11:35:30 PM
"What are you doing" Julian exclaims angrily "a few candlesticks isn't going to prove anything, we needed to take as much as we could. Let's get out of here"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 12:05:22 AM
When Heinrich smashes the skull, a wisp of reddish smoke escapes from inside it, and there is a brief, despairing wail - the sound seems to come from inside the skull, but at the same time it seems to come from very far away. The pieces sink without trace into the sewer water, while the candles bob around on the surface.

Max sways on his feet, and nearly falls. "I'm so tired," he says, "can you help me walk back, Klaus?" He puts his arm around Klaus's shoulder, practically hanging off him. It's just as well he doesn't weigh much... Klaus will have to support him on the walk back though the sewer.

The four of them set off for the manhole they entered by, Julian leading the way. To take his mind off his annoyance at Heinrich's destruction of important evidence, he studies the stonework of the sewer passages as he walks. The sewer is a fine example of dwarfish work, but it's clear that its human owners have neglected to maintain it. He spots several places where immediate repairs are needed to prevent further deterioration, and makes a mental note of their locations.

The candlesticks clink noisily against each other in Heinrich's makeshift loot bag, but the noise doesn't attract any attention. The group reach the manhole cover without incident. Max has to be practically hauled up the ladder. Back on the surface, they find that it is now very late: probably close to midnight. It's too late to contact any officials now, since they will all be in their beds. Klaus leads them to the Crossed Pikes, where Mortus is waiting for them. She tells them that there is a room booked for the four of them at the Surprised Goat inn, not far across town. Max is half asleep already, and his friends left the Crossed Pikes a while ago, so Klaus will have to take him to to the inn with the group. He can sleep on the floor.

Julian suddenly realizes that the Crossed Pikes tavern is the building directly over the guarded cellar full of (probably) stolen goods that he and Heinrich found in the sewer...
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 12:42:11 AM
"What are you doing" Julian exclaims angrily "a few candlesticks isn't going to prove anything, we needed to take as much as we could. Let's get out of here"

Heinrich won't apologize for destroying the skull. The pentagram on the floor and the presence of the demon are all the proof he needs, and he's a little annoyed that the group decided to retreat rather than hunt down the person responsible and bring him to justice. He'll be sulky.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 08:43:02 AM
"Heinrich, cheer up there soon wil be more than enough skulls to cave in, right now I think the Dwarf is right. Lets rest, think and figure out what to do next. I for my part will try to find some help for poor Max here, that wound looks pretty grim and I will try to get some help at the local guard barrack, they might either know where I can find help or might even have some charlatan around that can give him first aid. Julian can you direct me to the next city watch building? I will join you guys at the tavern afterwards.

While we go there Max, tell me more about your family and when you will be done with your studies of Empire law.....how rich was your family again?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 09:15:44 AM
[Fandir and Max]

Julian checks his map, and tells Klaus that the town's main guard barracks is just down the street, by the postern gate.

Klaus sets off towards it, still supporting Max. As they walk, he tries to keep Max awake by asking him about himself. Max is half asleep, and his responses are dreamy and unclear. "Rich, very rich... father's a great man, very rich... sent me to Nuln, be a lawyer... been there four years, not been home... I miss my sister... 'she's more of a son to me than you are, runt,' father says... father's such a big, strong man... 'fetch the cane, runt,' he'd say... I love you, father..." Max starts weeping softly.

The doors are open at the barracks. Inside is an entry hall with a desk, behind which is seated a bored-looking watchman. When he sees Klaus enter, half-carrying a weeping Max, he narrows his eyes and says, "Well, what do you want? If he's drunk, take him elsewhere."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 09:20:59 AM
"Sigmar be blessed, greetings to you dear sir. This man was robbed, most likely someone smacked him with a rope or similar, found the poor fellow at the street close to the fair, you should know that he is noble born and a student of law in Nuln so you better hurry to find him some medical help."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 09:36:04 AM
The watchman looks at Klaus dubiously. "Noble, is he? Well, those trousers of his look like silk, so maybe you're right. Bring him over here into the lamp light. Let's see now: someone stole his shirt, did they? Great Ulric's Cock, he's a skinny bastard! You say a whack with a rope made this mark on his chest? I don't know, it looks nasty... more like a burn. Better get it looked at, or it might go bad. Seen it before." He nods sagely.

"There's a quack nearby who might do the job, if he can pay. Go out the door, turn left, first right, third house on the left with a sign showing a pestle and mortar. Knock loud so they'll hear. Ask for Doc Heidi. She's a real looker!" he smirks as he says this.

"If he wants to report the attack, take him to the festival court in the morning, since he's an out-of-towner. Now get out of here."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 09:39:49 AM
"Thanks Sir, and I will suggest to him that he will pay you some money later for your great deeds towards him." (Random unfriendly guardsman I will have forgotten in a minute).

"Now Max up with us to the Doc Heidi." Klaus yawns excessivly before he picks up Max and half carries him over to the described place where he starts to knock as loud as he can on the door. "Emergency oh...dear Sigmar, and Shallayah he might die if only someone could hear me and come to help." Knock knock.

 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 10:01:20 AM
I suppose that Julian and Heinrich will make their way to the aforementioned inn where we might sleep?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:02:24 AM
I suppose that Julian and Heinrich will make their way to the aforementioned inn where we might sleep?

[Up to you! Maybe you want to go elsewhere. Mortus is with you also.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:08:00 AM
[Fandir]

Eventually, Klaus's knocking raises a response. The shutters are thrown open on a window above the door, and an... ugly... woman leans out.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/oldwoman.gif)


"What's all this damn noise? Don't you know what time it is? This had better be important!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 10:14:24 AM
The summoned up images of a beautiful young lady her perfect body only hidden by a loose bathrobe plop the instant the window goes open. So much for his plan to charm the womand to do it for free.....well he still could but. Nahhh not for Max.

"Greetings dear lady, and thanks that you came to help me and my poor friend in our peril. He was robbed and severly wounded. I was told by the guard that a kind hearted, wonderful woman that is exceptionally skilled in the trait of healing lives just down the street, so I hurried over here to get my friend here the needed help. Oh have I mentioned that he stems from a rich and noble family? My name is Klaus by the way"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:30:38 AM
The woman slams the shutters closed without a word. A moment later, Klaus hears the sound of heavy bolts being drawn back, and the door opens. The woman scowls at him - she's wearing only her night dress. "Come in, but don't try anything! My husband will be down here like a shot if I so much as scream. You'd better have money on you too."

She leads Klaus into her shop, which is filled with bottles and jars of all sorts. She lights a lamp, then motions Klaus to put Max down in a chair. Once he has, she leans over him, holding the lamp close, studying Max's injury.

"This looks like an acid burn to me - that's a sort of liquid that burns flesh like fire," she says patronizingly to Klaus, "I'll need to clean the wound, then apply a salve that will start the healing process. He'll need something to dull the pain too - he might be almost asleep now, but he'll hurt in the morning. I want the money up front though: I've had it with nobles who don't carry money around and never pay their bills. 3 gold coins gets him treatment and medicine. Pay up or take him elsewhere."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 10:32:02 AM
I suppose that Julian and Heinrich will make their way to the aforementioned inn where we might sleep?

[Up to you! Maybe you want to go elsewhere. Mortus is with you also.]

In that case, I shall ask after my companions' preferences, and see if there is anything they would like to do before we retire for the evening.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 10:36:57 AM
Mortus is pleased to see them return.   She is walking over to them when Klaus leaves again carrying max.

"Here have some more wine," she says to the others.   "We might as well wait for Klaus to come back and you can tell me of your adventures."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 10:37:38 AM
"Three gold coins ....that is quiet a sum, but I guess that other less capable docters might even demand more, so thank you for your work especially at a time this late.Kind woman whose name I still donīt know, what would have happened if the wound would have gone untreated?"

Klaus counts out the three gold coins and hands them over to the woman treating Max.

While she is working on Max Klaus will look around if there are other salves or precious looking objects he might be able to snatch away for later use.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:50:24 AM
The woman stares at him with a disgusted look on her face. "You don't know who I am? How did you know to come here then? I'm Heidi, and this is a pharmacy." She takes the gold coins, examines them closely, and then puts them somewhere behind the shop counter. "Jan!," she shouts, "we have a customer! I need clean water and a cloth!" She then collects a number of bottles from the shelves, and hands one of them to Klaus. "Tell him to take a swig of this if he's in pain tomorrow. It'll make him a bit groggy, but it'll make him feel better. I need to clean this wound so it won't turn rotten - that is, if my husband gets a move on. Jan! Hurry up!"

A tall, bald man shuffles angrily into the room holding a bowl of water and a cloth. He's completely naked... he hands the bowl and cloth to his wife, and then leaves without saying a word.

Heidi soaks the cloth in the water, and then pours something from another bottle onto the cloth. She then starts to clean Max's wound. Max moans softly with pain.

While Heidi is busy, Klaus looks around the shop. There are a lot of small bottles that he could easily palm and then hide about his person. But since he can't read the labels he has no idea what to take. He can try to steal a few random bottles if he wants.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 10:59:36 AM
"Ah YOU are the famous Heidi, nice to meet you.(damn my rotten memory, Klaus still has the pretty Heidi image in his mind).  Lucky man your husband."

Klaus adds a bit distracted as he is already looking for valuable potions.


Klaus will go for the random bottles thing no more than three and if possible something in small vials with fancy colours.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 11:07:52 AM
Mortus is pleased to see them return.   She is walking over to them when Klaus leaves again carrying max.

"Here have some more wine," she says to the others.   "We might as well wait for Klaus to come back and you can tell me of your adventures."

Heinrich accepts the wine with a grateful smile and drops heavily into a chair. He removes his helmet and gear, rubbing unconsciously at the dull throbbing pain of the bruises beneath his shirt.

"It wasn't so great an adventure for my part," He says, "Julian is the expert in such places, and he led the way. We encountered some sort of unholy creature, but Julian, with some small amount of help from my bow, was able to put it to death."

Heinrich disregards the fact that he himself struck the killing blow, his modesty not coming falsely, but out of an inability to praise his own accomplishments in mixed company. In his mind, Julian truly was the braver and more effective fighter in the encounter with the demon.

"Klaus seemed also to have hunted down and defeated some other abomination, but his speedy tongue is difficult for me to follow at the very best of times, and I could not quite catch the whole of the tale. I gathered that the boy, Max, acquitted himself bravely though, which is a very great credit to him, being as he is so slight in girth. He'd make an able bowman, I think. His frame is more suited for that than heavy sword play. I may teach the boy, if he survives the night."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 11, 2012, 11:11:41 AM
'Hmm, I don't mind what we do. I want to buy some equipment, but need our reward first. Some food and ale wouldn't go amiss'

'Heinrich you do yourself Down. It was you who struck the blow.  Although we both played our part.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 11:16:57 AM
Mortus sips her wine and her body tenses slightly.   She takes another sip, deeper this time, almost a gulp and clanks the glass down on the table.   WIne sloshes over her the rim and over her hand.   She drags in a deep breath.

"Unholy creature," she says.   "What sort of unholy creature?   There are unholy creatures here.   Have you told the guard?   Do you know who summoned it?   Is that why max is injured?   We you injured? or Klaus? or Julian?"   Mortus' voice is getting slighlty higher pitched with each word.   She graps her glass again, emptying half of its contents over the table and her shirt and gulping down the rest.   After she has drank she seems calmer.   "I am sorry," she says.   "I just met an unholy creature in Nordland once and have no desire to meet another."   She fills her glass again and any others that are empty.   Pausing to draw breath she calls over the innkeeper and orders more of the wonderful stew that she had earlier.   the she gives Heinrich a small leather bag containing his 20 gold coins from the earlier reward
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 11:21:48 AM
'Hmm, I don't mind what we do. I want to buy some equipment, but need our reward first. Some food and ale wouldn't go amiss'

"We'll likely have to wait until morning, Julian. It is well after dark already! I doubt anyone is available to parcel out our reward at this hour, much less sell us anything! Your dwarven eyes betray you I think, making the twilight seem as noon."

Mortus sips her wine and her body tenses slightly.   She takes another sip, deeper this time, almost a gulp and clanks the glass down on the table.   WIne sloshes over her the rim and over her hand.   She drags in a deep breath.

"Unholy creature," she says.   "What sort of unholy creature?   There are unholy creatures here.   Have you told the guard?   Do you know who summoned it?   Is that why max is injured?   We you injured? or Klaus? or Julian?"   Mortus' voice is getting slighlty higher pitched with each word.   She graps her glass again, emptying half of its contents over the table and her shirt and gulping down the rest.   After she has drank she seems calmer.   "I am sorry," she says.   "I just met an unholy creature in Nordland once and have no desire to meet another."   She fills her glass again and any others that are empty.   Pausing to draw breath she calls over the innkeeper and orders more of the wonderful stew that she had earlier.   the she gives Heinrich a small leather bag containing his 20 gold coins from the earlier reward

"Mein Gott! I did not mean to worry you, Mortus. It was a fair scrape, but we are all quite safe." Heinrich accepts the purse, "I thank you. I think, Julian, it would be best we retire as soon as Klaus returns. We can report all we have found to the guards in the morning, as well as collect our reward and sell what loot we earned."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 11:28:08 AM
Mortus smiles weakly.

"No it is me who is sorry," she says.   "I think I over reacted.   In the north unholy has such a strong meaning.   I am glad you are all safe.   I have a room booked for us not far from here."   She sips her wine again and that seems to steady her.   "So what manner of monster is the world a safer place from now?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 11:31:52 AM
Mortus smiles weakly.

"No it is me who is sorry," she says.   "I think I over reacted.   In the north unholy has such a strong meaning.   I am glad you are all safe.   I have a room booked for us not far from here."   She sips her wine again and that seems to steady her.   "So what manner of monster is the world a safer place from now?"

"I will let Julian describe it. He was closer to the beast than I."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 11:52:54 AM
[Fandir]

Klaus looks furtively at Heidi, waiting for a moment when she's intent on her work. He sees some small but fancy bottles with bright liquids in them and decides they look valuable, so he tries to steal them.

[Dex test, +15% for palm object skill. Dice roll = 40 = success!]

He palms two of the bottles and casually slips them inside his shirt.

Soon after, Heidi is finished cleaning Max's wound. She turns around, glaring suspiciously at Klaus, and takes a large jar down from a shelf. Opening it, she smears smelly green paste all over Max's chest. "Best to leave this uncovered if possible - don't let him wash it off either. Make sure he sleeps on his back. In a couple of days it should start itching like crazy. That's when he can clean the salve off. He needs to sleep now, so you can take him away. Show yourself out."

[Max regains one wound, and is now considered 'lightly wounded' - he will heal naturally over time.]

Klaus is happy to leave - he doesn't want Heidi to notice that two of her potions are missing - and helps Max to his feet. The salve smells really terrible, so it must be doing Max a lot of good. Klaus takes him back to the Crossed Pikes, where the others are still waiting.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 12:15:54 PM
Klaus nods towards Heidi and leaves the place in a measured manner not too hasty.

When he reaches the inn he hopes to find anyone of the personal still around asking around if he can get another bed or at least a place in the straw for Max.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 12:25:23 PM
.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 11, 2012, 12:27:32 PM
'You misunderstood me Heinrich ,i know it is too late.

Mortus, the creature was large,  with tentacles for arms and a single eye.  It looked like some kind of demonic squid, the kind they eat in the south.


I had some once. .. it was disgusting.'

Julian attempts to lighten mortus mood by recalling the story of his squid meal.  (He is well travelled, engineers being in demand everywhere)

And then tucks into his stew ,tking only small sips of wine as he would prefer ale.


(This post is out of sequence now)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 12:31:19 PM
Mortus seems relaxed by Julian's humour.   She even manages what appears to be a real smile.   

"People in the south are really strange," she says.   "Good wine though.   Have you spent a lot of time in the south?"

Klaus appears before Julian can answer. 
"Klaus," Mortus seems really happy to see him.   She stumbles upright and rushes over to him in faltering steps.   It is only when she stands up that the effect of the wine hits her.   "You are back.   I have rooms booked.   We should go there."   She staggers out of the inn without waiting to see if the others follow
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 12:31:34 PM
OOC: Well not really I think Julian started when I came in and left him talking to ....her back.

Klaus raises an eyebrow on the...."Klaus you are back"...."I have a room"...."we should go there" invitation as the girls around the south are usually less open about their advances.

"What a nice welcome, but alas Mortus I am in no shape right now, I still stink of the gutters and have that green goo on me....most likely I can clean myself in the morning after I got some sleep but I might join you after a bath. Where is she going now?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 12:36:42 PM
Mortus stops when it hits her what Klaus could have made of her offer.   She stands in the doorway and address the entire group. 

"You don't think..."   She does not seem horrified by the idea, just amused.   Her smile widens.   "Not for just me and you Klaus but for the entire party.   We will need somewhere to sleep tonight.   I am sure that the inn will have a bath."   She glances over at the inn keeper, considering asking him if this inn has rooms left, not wanting to appear impolite but in her drunken state she can not get the words to form in her head correctly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 11, 2012, 12:47:56 PM
Julian wants to leave and rest. He wants to tell Heinrich that he thinks that pub is above the thieves room, and will do so when he gets an opportunity with no one else listening.
A plan formulates in his head... Using Klaus... who seems to have become somewhat of a local celebrity, to snoop around the pub.

"Let's go lads.   And lady" Julian adds when Mortus looks at him.

"Max, you can take my bed, I am used to sleeping on cold hard surfaces. It helps my back anyway"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 12:53:58 PM
"Of course I knew you meant rooms for all of us Mortus...I was just kidding." Klaus laughs about his own joke in a way people laugh about their own jokes if they want to secure themselves "How nice of you Julian, so the rumours of the toughness of dwarves are not exaggerated. Bravo!


So lets get going as was stated and get some rest."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 01:53:49 PM
Max wakes up when Klaus brings him into the tavern. "I had a strange dream," he whispers, "an ogress was smearing me with butter to put me in the oven! Oh, what's this on my chest? Medicine? Klaus, did you take me to a physician? Thank you so much! It must have been expensive for you - I promise I'll pay you back. Father's very generous with my allowance, and I have some money with my things. Oh, I can't remember where we were staying. I'm so sleepy."

When Julian offers to give up his bed, Max looks embarrassed. "Sir, I can't possibly take your bed. It's not right," he looks bleary-eyed at Julian's beard, and decides he must be a very old man, "I can't let an elder give up his bed for me. I will gladly sleep on the floor. Father used to make me sleep in the cellar when I was bad. I'm used to it, really."

The group leave the Crossed Pikes - which is anyway about to close for the night - and set out along the freezing, fog-wreathed streets for the inn Mortus booked. Max is able to walk unaided, but shivers in the cold. He doesn't complain.

The Surprised Goat Inn is off Hafenstrasse, close to the Teamster's Guild, in the poor part of town near to the river. The streets are unpaved and covered with filth, and most of the buildings look as though a sharp breeze would bring them down. The inn itself is a squalid building with one of the crudest signs imaginable - the goat in question seems to have been surprised by a well-endowed representation of the god Taal. It's probably blasphemous...

The door is barred, but a few minutes of knocking causes the innkeeper to arrive and open it. He's a halfling and welcomes the group inside with considerable enthusiasm. "Dear friends, I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting! Ah, Miss Mortus - a room for four, yes? But there are five of you! No problem, I'll have Otho lay out some straw for your other friend to sleep on. Otho! Straw!" a halfling boy nods at the innkeeper, and races away to do as he is told. "I'll show you to your room. You were lucky to get it, you know - everywhere is busy during the fair, and this was the last room I had available. Here we go." He leads them upstairs, and shows them into a small room with four small but serviceable beds. Otho comes in a moment later, spreading straw on the floor for the fifth person to sleep on. "I'll leave you to rest now," the innkeeper says, "sleep well! Breakfast is served in the front room any time you like."

The two halflings leave. Max, determined not to take Julian's or anyone else's bed, goes and lies on the straw. He removes his sandals, lies on his back, and is asleep at once.

Heinrich, Julian, Klaus and Mortus take a bed each and go to sleep. They wake next morning feeling well-rested and ready to face the day.

[Heinrich recovers one lost wound.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 02:07:20 PM
"Ahhhhhhhhhh........be greeted.....day."

Klaus gets out of bed enthusiastic and tries to organize breakfast for everyone and brings it up to the room before he tries to organize some bath tub for himself to clean off the goo of himself and his clothes.

"Oh and before I forget it Max, that stuff on your chest you should leave it on there for a couple of days...I know it stinks but it will clean your wound, at some point it will start to itch then you can get it off. Also is anyone able to read this?" Klaus produces the two vials he "found".

"I got them as a payment after some quack lost a game against me and he told me it would be quiet expensive stuff."



Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 02:18:18 PM
Mortus sleeps in the bed that is closest to the corner and furthest from the door.   She sleeps in her clothes with her boots off and her cloak wrapped around her.   If anybody bothers to look they will see that she has a small narrow dagger very close to her sleeping hand and she will wake if anybody comes within a few feet of her.   
She will wake early and go down to breakfast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 02:35:25 PM
Max jumps up as soon as Klaus speaks to him. "Thank you Klaus! I feel much better, really. Well... it does hurt awfully, but I don't mind. I really will pay you back - how much did you have to give the physician? He must have been very skilled - did it cost 5 crowns perhaps? I can't bear to owe you money when I already owe you my life! I can read those bottles for you. I studied Classical Reman at university, and it's often used for writing labels on medicines." He take the vials from Klaus and studies them. "Oh, they aren't in Reman. It's just normal Riekspiel. This red one says 'Doktor von Hohenheim's Marvelous Movement Motivator.' It says it's for... uh... problems with bowel movements. The yellow one says 'Volstrung's Eradicator.' The label says you can drink it to get bad humors out of your blood." He hands the vials back to Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 04:38:33 PM
"Oh...pain, right. She gave me this to ease your healing process." Klaus produces the ailment he got from Heidi for the pain. "Max my good friend it was the only right thing to do...bringing you to that physician, I donīt care about the cost. You just stay alive and use that brains of yours to help our investigation and after our little adventure." Klaus puts an arm around Maxs shoulders most likely hurting him a little in the process. "I teach you how to live."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 04:57:11 PM
Max is overwhelmed by Klaus's generosity, and is unable to say anything. He takes the pain medicine Klaus offers him, but doesn't drink any right away: he wants Klaus to see how tough he is. So he also doesn't let it show that Klaus hurt him when he put his arm around his shoulder.

Klaus goes downstairs to organize breakfast - followed by Max, who wants to help carry things - and finds Mortus already downstairs and eating. The innkeeper smiles at Klaus and Max. "Good morning, friends! None of my other guests are up yet - drank too much at the fair, I should think. Just Miss Mortus here. What can I get for you gentlemen? We have bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms, fried bread... and a nice light beer to wash it all down with."

Klaus asks about a bath. The innkeeper replies, "Easy enough, sir. I'll get Otho to work on it right away. Do you want it in your room?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 05:11:46 PM
"That would be very nice. I would like to have some eggs with mushrooms and the idea of washing it down sounds even more fantastic. "

 

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 05:21:17 PM
Mortus looks up at the mention of a bath.

"I could take one of those as well," she says.   Then she smiles.
"Klaus and Max join me.   The breakfast here is wonderful.   Did you sleep well last night?   I think innkeeper that we will need another bed for tonight and could I have some more of your wonderful mint tea."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 05:41:32 PM
"Good morning to you too Mortus.....Max this is Mortus, you have met yesterday but I guess you were still dazed to much to remember. Mortus I think you already know Max. You certainly found a nice inn for us even though the maid at the crossed halberd was something special too."

Klaus winks when he tells the others about Jenny and sits down to wait for his breakfast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 06:00:08 PM
"Because of course the maids are what are most important in an inn.   I'm sorry that the standard of the staff is not up to your normal level," Mortus grins as she finishes her tea.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 06:14:14 PM
"No you misinterpreted my words I am very happy with your choice of staff, that halfling is exceptionally nice and the food is fantastic. Did you guys know that the Moot borders to Averland, probably the main reason the food there is so great too."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 06:19:58 PM
"You were going to tell me more about the wine that was drunk in your father's house," Mortus reminded Kluas
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 06:24:44 PM
"And you wanted to offer me money to find you nice Averlander wine contacts, most of the wine was from Tilea and some casks also from the Moot I never talked with the steward about who got it from where exactly but I could figure out where Baumann the wine you drank yesterday gets his wine from and get some casks for you if the offer of sharing the profit with me still stands."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
Heinrich will awaken and make his way downstairs. When he sees the trio eating he will join them.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 11, 2012, 07:15:54 PM
Ju;lian orders a full breakfast and a beer and tucks in with relish.

"you can keep your wine, this beer is fantastic, although the food in the moot is second to none!

"I don't think we should hang atround here too long, we have a busy day ahead"

ooc rufus, I'm unsure if this pub is nearer to the sewer man's office, or the festival? Julian will want to go to the nearest one first. so switch the order of what I am about to say.


"I want to drop into the sewer clerk and inform him of the repairs the town needs to do, and hopefully get a reward. And then go to the festival and report to the court about the goblin, and to the circus owner. We need to say he was attacked by rats.. or perhaps Klaus's blob? and not a demon. Then I want to buy some equipment.

After that we can see... perhaps Heinrich wants to go after the demons. Or we can go after the thieves. I do have a plan for the thieves, albeit a not very extensive one"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 08:57:46 PM
"Thieves," Mortus looks up, somewhat surprised.   "Nobody said anything about thieves, what thieves?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 11, 2012, 09:02:34 PM
"Yeah she is right....what thieves? Max already anything coming back to you where your tavern was, we could drop in there too and get your gear, and tell the "friends" of yours how well you did and what a bunch of cowards they are."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 11, 2012, 09:31:38 PM
"I don't want to get mixed up with thieves," Mortus says.   "I am an honest merchant.   I have no desire to start fighting thieves in sewers of all places.   Though maybe I could get the guard to help.   If I can find that guard captain again."   She considers.   "At least I know where he drinks."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:06:05 PM
ooc rufus, I'm unsure if this pub is nearer to the sewer man's office, or the festival? Julian will want to go to the nearest one first. so switch the order of what I am about to say.

[The town hall (where the sewer guy's office was) is quite near your inn - you'll probably pass it on the way to the festival. The inn is close to location 30 on the map.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:17:56 PM
Max order a surprisingly large breakfast for someone of his size, and eats it rapidly. He smiles at the others, but is too nervous to say anything much. When Klaus asks him if he remembers where he and his friends were supposed to be staying, he says, "Yes Klaus, I've remembered. I was only there briefly to leave my bag... it was called the Journey's End, and it was somewhere near the east gate."

[Julian has the Journey's End inn marked on his map - location 27]

"I'd forgotten my friends!" Max says, "They must think I'm dead - I'll have to find them and tell them I'm going to stay with all of you." he looks a bit worried as he says this, as if he fears he'll be told he's not welcome to stay. "If we go to the Journey's End I can get my money, and pay what I owe for my room here, and for the physician last night. I feel ashamed that I haven't been paying my own way - father would be furious with me if he knew." Max shudders at the thought of what his father would do if he were here.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 11, 2012, 10:20:29 PM
Julian is slightly annoyed at himself for letting slip about the thieves, but tries not to show it to the group.

"Ah, we found something else down in the sewers. I don't think it is safe to talk about it here"

Julian will wait until he is certain that no one else is listening, or if that is not possible talk about it in the street hoping it will get lost in the hustle and bustle. He says, at the opportune moment, [might need to wait until Cannon posts again- I'm just posting this to keep the game moving]

"Me and Heinrich found a secret room, near the dwarfs body, which seemed to be the lair of a thieves guild. There was a hidden key and a room full of crates with one guard. I am fairly certain that the room was directly below the crossed pikes, the pub you were in last night.

Klaus, I was wondering if you think you could charm that barmaid, or perhaps the landlord is starting to believe your stories of heroism... and you could see if you get a look around.

Unless Heinrich has another idea? I feel another trip into the sewers is inevitable, but there is work to do above land too"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 11, 2012, 10:24:47 PM
The group are still the only people in the breakfast room - no other guests have come down yet - so it's safe to talk.

[When everyone is ready, I'll need to know where you are going first, and if you are going together or splitting up.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 11, 2012, 11:41:09 PM
Heinrich suggests shopping first, then a trip to the city guards to report the demonologist and the thieves. Once there he will offer to break up the thieves ring himself, knowing that with all of the extra people in town the guards will be stretched to the limit.

Heinrich has a plan.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 08:40:41 AM
"I would say we do as Heinrich says with the sole exception that we make a short stop at that sewer engineer thing Julian wanted to visit."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
[Everyone is going to the town hall then?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 12, 2012, 09:10:30 AM
[Everyone is going to the town hall then?]

Yes, I think we're all sticking together today.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 09:12:47 AM
Mortus will chatter away about her need to buy some new clothes but she will follow the others to the town hall when they leave.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 10:35:16 AM
Heinrich, Julian, Mortus, Klaus and Max finish their breakfasts, get their things together, and leave the Surprised Goat. On their way out, the innkeeper says to them, "I'll hold your room for you, don't worry. I'm afraid I don't have another bed for the young gentleman though - will he be happy sleeping on straw?"

Max nods emphatically.

"Lovely! Well, enjoy your day and I'll see you tonight, I hope."

It's around nine in the morning, but it's already very hot outside. The filthy streets outside the inn are full of people hurrying toward the fair, complaining about the unseasonably hot weather.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/street.png)

The group soon reach the Dreieckeplatz, the administrative centre of the town. Many of the buildings have elaborate facades with decorative columns and arches, and statues of the town's patron deity Bogenauer. The area is full of people of all classes: beggars clamoring for a few coins; entertainers juggling, breathing fire, playing instruments and singing songs; lawyers and councillors bustling importantly around; agitators handing out pamphlets and making speeches, and food vendors selling pies and sausages.

The town hall itself is at the heart of the square, and is a large and magnificent building.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/durer_ba.jpg)


The group enter the town hall, passing a pair of halberd-wielding guards who glare at them suspiciously, and find themselves in a large entry hall. There are a number of desks set up in the hall. Seated at one of them is a grey-haired woman who addresses them in a strident voice, "You there, what's your business here?"

Julian explains that he wants to see Ludwig Stumpf, the vice-under-secretary of sanitation. She studies him for a moment, and then says, "You look like a respectable engineer. Very well: up the stairs on the right, turn left, turn right, third left, second right, fourth door on the left."

She then looks more closely at the rest of the group - she raises her eyebrows when she see's Max's salve-smeared chest - and says, "You will be held responsible for the actions of your... companions, however."

Julian leads the group to Ludwig Stumpf's office, knocks, and they go inside. "Ah, good morning!" Stumpf says, "my dear friend the engineer! And - oh my! What a very colourful group of associates you have with you today! Ha ha!" Ludwig mops his brow. "I'm told your trip to the sewers was unnecessary after all - quite a disappointment, I'm sure - since the goblin - wasn't it a goblin? - found its way out through a river drain and got into one of the warehouses at the waterfront. Killed there by... oh, I'm not sure. Someone. Ha ha! Still, I'm sure your practiced eye saw some little problems in need of a good engineer, Mr. Stonebridge? If so, the town will be able to compensate you for that at least."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 11:32:58 AM
Klaus looks around the room but at the mentioning of the goblin he turns towards the steward.

"What, the goblin was found? When did you learn of this? I mean we just woke up and came directly here, who told you about the warehouse incident?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 11:34:32 AM
"The goblin was killed by someone?" Mortus asks raising one eyebrow and smiling.   She walks a little closer to Stumpt and leans.   "Could you be a little more clear.   I am writing an account of the great actions of the south and its wonders for the nobles of Nordland and I think the tale of the three legged goblin could be in it.   I would like to speak to its killer.   Get all of the details if you understand me."   A golden crown dances over her fingers as she speaks and she raises one eyebrow
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 11:51:33 AM
"Ha ha! Uh, well..." Stumpf mops his brow again. He's sweating heavily. "I don't know the details - once something's above ground, it's not my problem any more! Ha ha!" He looks at the gold coin in Mortus's hand, but then shakes his head. "No, I really don't know what happened. When I came into work this morning, people were gossiping about the goblin being caught late last night in one of the warehouses. Jacob Binck from the River Trade Office saw the body. Listen, why don't you speak to him about it?" He cheers up visibly as this idea occurs to him. "Go to the end of this corridor, take the stairs up one level, turn right, turn left, sixth on the left."

He looks at Julian. "Let's conclude our business, Mr. Stonebridge. Would you like to give your report on the structural integrity of the sewer system?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 11:53:01 AM
Mortus is going to go and see Jacob Binck.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 12, 2012, 12:04:55 PM
Julian details the engineering problems he saw to Stumpf, and then asks

"You seem to know what is going on around here, you may be able to answer some questions I have. Who is in charge in Bogenhafen? or rather, how is the city run. The town hall is certainly an impressive building, for humans"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 12:28:54 PM
Stumpf listens carefully to Julian's detailed report on the sewer system, and takes a lot of notes. When Julian has finished, he says, "Thank you for your excellent work, Mr. Stonebridge! I should think you are too busy to supervise the work yourself? In any case it will be some weeks before anything is done. Please leave me your contact details if you would consider taking the job. For now, here is your consultancy fee." Stumpf hands Julian a money order, which directs the treasury office to pay him the sum of 20 gold crowns.

[We'll assume you collect this on your way out, so just add the money to your character sheet].


"I'm glad you like our town hall! It is rather a fine building. I am rather busy today - and every day, ha ha! But I can tell you a little about how our great town is run.

"Now, Bogenhafen technically lies within the lands of Baron Wilhem von Saponatheim, so he's theoretically in charge of the town. He lives twenty five miles north of here, and doesn't visit much - though he's here now for the joust - losing to Grand Duke Leopold, I hear. He won't be too happy! Ha ha!

The town is actually ruled by a council of leading citizens, who meet here in this fine building. They all have offices here too. There are fifteen seats on the council - am I boring you? No? Oh, good! I'll continue then. Four seats are held by the merchants' guild, four by the heads of the largest merchant families, one by the town's priest of Sigmar, one each by the heads of the physicians', tailors' and weavers', teamsters', stevedores', and mourners' guilds, and one by the head of one of the craft guilds."

He takes a deep breath, and mops his brow again.

"Now, in practice the council tends to be controlled by the merchants - they have eight seats altogether, including the chairman's seat. I don't keep up with politics, so you'll have to ask someone else if you want to know more. I can tell you that the four largest merchant families are the Haagens, the Ruggbroders, the Steinhagers, and the Teugens. It's Johannes Teugen who is currently chairman of the council. Teugen is the head of the merchants' guild too, so he actually has two votes on the council. But he doesn't sit in two chairs - he's not so fat as all that! Ha ha!

"Now, I'm glad I could enlighten you - at least a little - Mr. Stonebridge. But I really must get back to work. Good day to you - to all of you!"

Stumpf looks down at his papers, and doesn't look up again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 12:36:21 PM
The group go to the River Trade Office, with Mortus leading the way. They knock, and go in.

Inside is an owlish man, whose desk is piled high with documents and ledgers. There's a painting of a cat on the wall.

"Yes, I'm Binck, and this is the River Trade Office. What do you lot want? The fair is outside the town walls, if that's what you're looking for."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 01:47:40 PM
"Good day to you dear sir, first to introduce ourselves properly we are the bounty hunters who ventured into the cities sewers to track down the mutant goblin, there would be Mortus Basanduine a merchants daughter, this fellow over here with the strong arms and lethal bow is Heinrich also known as the Kanone des Untergangs, Julian stonebridge a dwarven Engineer with exceptional skills who also checked the sewers for damage, the brave Max Breytenbach who joined in our expedition only later and my humble self Klaus Metzger, adventurer and friend of the people.

We were told by Herr Stumpf in this building that you have seen the body of the monster and also spread the word that someone else was faster than us. We would like to know, everything you know on the issue as you might understand we would like to get to know the fellow who did the work faster than us.



Oh and you have a very nice office."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 02:07:51 PM
Binck's mouth drops open. His eyes dart around the room, as though searching for another way out. There isn't one, of course. His gaze falls on the cat picture, and the sight calms him. Even so, his voice quavers as he speaks. "G-g-g-gentlemen. And lady! I... I'm pleased to meet you." He looks at Heinrich, and shudders. "I wasn't expecting visitors this morning - especially not such well-armed ones. Uh. Forgive me, where are my manners!"

He stands, comes around the desk, and shakes hands with everyone in turn. When he speaks, he avoids looking at anyone but Klaus. "Thank you for the compliment - this is a very serviceable office, though not as nice as that rat Stumpf's." He scowls as he says the name. "I am terribly sorry that you missed out on getting your reward, but really it has nothing to do with me. Speak to whoever it was engaged you for the job - you should be paid for your time, at least, since you entered the sewer in good faith. Ever since Teugen took over from his brother things have gone downhill in this town... strictly between us, you understand? Between friends?" his eyes look pleadingly into Klaus's. "I thought Stumpf was my friend, you know. Obviously I was wrong."

"I want to help you, really. Listen, I was told that the goblin was found in one of the Steinhager warehouses on the waterfront - number four - at around midnight last night. A watch patrol followed it in there, and some crates fell on it - crushed to death, supposedly. But I never saw the body! I was told about what happened early this morning - a watch patrol came to get me out of bed and took me to the warhouse to see. Well, I saw some smashed crates and some blood alright, but that was all. They made me sign a statement saying I agreed that the goblin had died there! They never threatened me... but you don't get threatened in this town. They just tell you what to do and you do it.

"Please, don't tell anyone I told you this!"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 02:19:50 PM
.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 02:22:15 PM
Like a shark smelling blood Klaus realizes that Herr Bink has something to hide. He looks over to Heinrich nodding towards the door implicating that the bounty hunter should make sure that Bink canīt flee the room.

"Dear friend Binck, can I call you Binck? You can call me Klaus if you want to....how nice of you being so honest with us even though you barely know us. Must be hard to find good friends in the town of Bogenhafen, friends one could trust."

Klaus walks over to the picture with the cat and looks intensly at it.

"That is a very nice picture isnīt it, from where have you got it? May I take a look?" Klaus ask the question but before he gets an answer takes the picture down to look at it.


"Well  this story is very nice but I would like to know a little more about it, who is this Teugen, and from whom did he take over? Do you know the names of those guardsmen? Who do you think gave them the orders?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 02:46:02 PM
"Sweet merciful Shallya, please put that picture back! That's Maria, my cat! I swear, I haven't done anything wrong! Please!"

He sits heavily down in his chair, shaking with fear. He's disturbingly easy to frighten.

"It's true, please believe me, it's all true! Listen: Teugen - Johannes Teugen - is the chairman of the council, the head of the merchants' guild and the head of the Teugen trading family. He's the richest man in town. He had an academic post at the University of Nuln - I don't know what he taught - until two years ago when his elder brother Karl died. Karl had some sort of plague that carried him off in a few days. Johannes came home at once to take over the business. Please sir - I'm trying to tell you everything I can! Please put my picture down!

"The Teugen family is one of the oldest in Bogenhafen, but they were in decline. The other families were out-performing them, and there was talk of them losing their council seat. But that all changed when Johannes took over - it changed practically overnight. He's a genius, but he's ruthless. You don't cross him. He's edging out the other families, and he practically rules the town.

"But I don't think he's behind this goblin business. What has he got to gain from it? The council is full of crooks - it could have been any of them. The watchmen never mentioned any names, they just told me what I had to do. I've seen the patrol leader before: Sergeant Holbein. You could ask him!"


Max suddenly speaks up, "Klaus, I remember Professor Teugen from the university! He taught economics. He was mean - he failed students all the time, for the smallest mistakes. We were so glad when he left his post! Once, I had to go to his office to talk to him. He was the scariest man I've ever met - well, apart from my father. He had all these books on his shelves that I felt were looking at me."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 02:50:25 PM
"Could you point to me on the map where this Johannes Teugen live," Morus demands.   "I would be very interested in talking to him about this goblin matter if I can.   Also, though I might not look it at the moment, I am here to discss a trading contract with the House of Basanduine, one of the major merchant families in Nordland.   He would be interested in what I have to say to him."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 12, 2012, 03:05:44 PM
"Teugen lives on the Adel Ring." Binck says. He explains where it is [if you look on the town map, it's the house directly right of the park (the park is location 12). The Tailors' Guild (number 39) is behind it].

"But he has an office here, of course, and he's probably there now. You'll have to ask the clerk at the main desk downstairs if he'll see you though. And I doubt he will."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 12, 2012, 04:57:18 PM
"Thank you," Mortus says.   She will go down to his office and to see if he is there.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 04:59:12 PM
"Benck my good man, thank you very much for your precious time. Maybe I could invite you to a cup of ale and some mutton? Ahh...I guess we rather meet here should any other questions pop into my mind. Perhaps the others have some questions?"

Klaus carefully places the picture back at its place and curtly bows towards Benck.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 12, 2012, 05:27:41 PM
"no, I think it is time we went to the fair. I have a bone to pick with the clerk, and the circus owner. Then I think we need to decide what we will do next"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 12, 2012, 07:36:32 PM
"Julian....lead the way. Can we make a very short detour via the tavern Max and the other students were to get Max something to dress with?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 12:11:43 AM
Benck looks very relieved when the group leaves his office. He slams the door behind them, and they hear the sound of furniture being dragged across the room and placed in front of the door.

Max says, "I would like to get my things from the Journey's End, but I don't want to inconvenience anyone. I can wait until later if you have more urgent business."

Julian stops by the treasury office and collects his 20 crown fee.

Downstairs in the entry hall, Mortus asks the desk clerk about getting an appointment to see Johannes Teugen. The clerk looks astonished, "You want to see Councillor Teugen? About a trading contract with... who?" She looks at Mortus's clothes, and shakes her head in disbelief.

[Fel test = 69 = failure!]

"No, this won't do at all. Councillor Teugen is a very busy man. I suggest you go to the merchants' guild and speak to one of his agents there instead. They will be able to introduce you to the councillor if they think it appropriate."

Outside again, the party head into Gottenplatz, the town's temple district, on the way to the east gate and the Shaffenfest [Max's inn is this way also, if you decide to go there]. The square is full of preachers as usual, but one particular individual catches their eyes. He's a filthy, wild-eyed man with a tangled beard, and he's shouting at the top of his voice, surrounded by baffled spectators.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/crazyman.png)

"I see seven and I see nine,  all they had will be mine, mine, mine! The star within the circle is the sign of death! Beware the man who is not a man! The end has come! The dark powers turn their gaze upon the town, and the face of the moon will show our fate!"

Quite suddenly, he stops shouting and stares at Max. "You carry the sign of evil on your body! The seven-fold order and the beast are come for me!"

He turns and starts to run, heading in the general direction of the river.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 03:27:24 AM
Heinrich snorts in derision.
"Pay no heed to that madman, Max. Come, I will accompany you to gather your things, then we can find you a proper weapon more fitting your brave stature. Klaus, will you go with Julian to be sure he is paid what he is owed for the goblin's death?" If Heinrich is still in posession of the pelvis he will hand it over. "Young Max and I will meet you at the fair."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 13, 2012, 07:40:29 AM
Klaus listened to the preacher and some of the words are still echoing in his head....the star within the circle? Could he mean the place in the sewers...but how would he know? Also seven and nine.....well there 15 seats ont he council 8 for the merchants and 7 for the others so no way to construct something out of this. The man who is not a man. Klaus makes the sign of the hammer and doesnīt realize that Heinrich left with Max until they are already on their way. He is a bit annoyed that Heinrich was going with Max and he feels some envy he hopes that Heinrich isnīt filling Maxs head with the wrong ideas, especially about his own person.

He bears the sign of the beast......

"I have a really bad feeling about all of this.)" Klaus mutters under his breath.

"So Julian lets got to that place you mentioned. I guess Mortus either catches up or has to walk the city on her own. I still canīt guess what she was thinking trying to get access to Teugen. I have another bad feeling about that one, if we were to find out what is going on here I think finding out more about that man would be a good idea. But well Julian I canīt shake the feeling that we might stumble into something like a gang war here and if we donīt choose our side, the winning side, proper we might end up cold and dead. A bit like with a civil war, do the Dwarves have civil wars?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 08:16:53 AM
On the way to the inn, Heinrich will ask Max if he has ever had any training with the bow.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 13, 2012, 08:28:09 AM
OOC: you better donīt spoil him!!!

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 09:00:41 AM
[Cannon and Max]

Max is very happy that Heinrich - who he's decided must be a very experienced soldier of some sort - is paying so much attention to him. He looks back at Klaus as the two of them walk off, hoping he hasn't upset Klaus by going with Heinrich... but Klaus looks preoccupied, and anyway they'll see each other soon.

"Father didn't want me to use a bow, Heinrich - he said bows were old fashioned." Realising what he's said, he blushes. "Oh, I'm sorry! I don't think that myself. Actually, one of our servants did teach me to shoot with a  bow, in secret. I'm not very strong," he smiles ruefully, "but I can handle a smallish bow. Anton - that was the servant - said I was quite good! But one day father found out... he was furious. He fired Anton, and he gave me such a whipping." Max's face goes pale at the memory, and his lip trembles.

"Heinrich," he says, a few minutes later, "I'm worried about what that preacher said just now. I guess he meant this wound I got in the sewers... what if I've been corrupted by something horrible? Or was he just mad?"

Max continues to chatter away as they walk. After a short while, they arrive at the Journey's End Inn, a large and well-maintained building that must be expensive to drink at, let alone stay the night. They go inside, and a neatly-dressed man who is presumably the innkeeper says, "Can I help you two... gentlemen?" his voice dripping with disdain.

Max doesn't seem to notice the man's tone. "Thank you, you can help me. My name is Max Breytenbach, and I have a room booked here - part of the Grunewald group? I was injured last night," he indicates his chest, "and couldn't get back here, so my room would have been unused. I left my things in it, and I'd like to collect them and check out. I will of course pay what I owe."

The innkeeper looks upset, "Oh dear, this is awful. I'm afraid Mr. Grunewald and his three friends came back here last night in high spirits, saying that they no longer required the fifth room because one of their party had left town suddenly . They took your money, and they told me to sell your clothes and other effects to cover your bill. I had one of my maids do that this morning... I'm afraid all your things are gone. This is terribly embarrassing. I suggest you find Mr. Grunewald and the others and take this matter up with them. They went to the fair an hour ago."

Max looks uncharacteristically angry. "Would you help me track them down, Heinrich? I want my money back!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 13, 2012, 09:29:18 AM
Mortus is going to go clothes shopping.   Once she has bought a nice outfit (something in blue) she will go back to the inn and have a bath and then go to the merchants guild
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 09:55:26 AM
[Fandir and Finlay]

Julian and Klaus head for the postern gate, since it's closer to the Festival Court than the east gate. On the way, they pass the rear of the elaborate gardens around one of the mansions on the Adel Ring. Klaus notices that there are a lot of bushes and trees in the garden, which would provide a lot of cover to anyone trying to break into the house at night.

The Festival Court is in session when they arrive, and the guards won't allow them to enter. Instead, one of them fetches the court clerk. He looks annoyed when he sees Julian and Klaus. "Don't bother to say anything, I know why you're here," he says, in his unpleasantly high voice, "but you failed to catch or kill the goblin. You have therefore not fulfilled the terms of your contract with the town of Bogenhafen, and will not receive payment."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 10:08:18 AM
[Commandant]

Mortus looks around some of the town's better shops, not far from the town hall. She sees a number of outfits that would do very well, but with a range of prices - she's not sure how much to spend.

[Good quality outfit = 12 to 20 gold crowns. Decide how much you want to spend!]

She then returns to the inn, has a bath, and changes into her new outfit. She asks the innkeeper where she can find the merchants' guild, and he gives her good directions.

[number 37 on the map - near the town hall]

The merchants' guild is a huge building, with an elaborately (but rather tastelessly) decorated facade. Among the images on the facade (which shows scenes of trade taking place across the world) are four huge symbols: the emblems of the great trading families. These are the lion's head and rings of the Haagens, the gauntlet and ear of corn of the Ruggbroders, the inscribed barrel of the Steinhagers, and the rose of the Teugens. Statues of Bogenauer and Handrich stand either side of the huge main doors.

People are constantly moving in and out of the building, so Mortus is paid no attention as she enters. A queue has formed at the reception desk. At last, she reaches the front, where a harassed-looking young woman says, "Hello madam, how can I help you today?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 13, 2012, 10:13:34 AM
"Good day to you," Mortus says with a smile.   "I am representing a merchant clan from Nordland, the House of Basanduine.   I have trade options for the House of Teugens and the House of Steinhagers.   I would like a meeting with their factors please."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 10:19:42 AM
She consults her books, "I can arrange an appointment for this afternoon at two o'clock. Will that be convenient?"

[It's about eleven o'clock at the moment]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 13, 2012, 10:23:56 AM
"That would be perfect," Mortus smiles at the woman.   "Thank you very much."

Mortus is going to wander around Adel Ring looking at the mansions there and asking people who lives in each.   In her better clothes she should fit in.   She will return for her meeting a little early.


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 10:25:21 AM
[Cannon and Max]
Max looks uncharacteristically angry. "Would you help me track them down, Heinrich? I want my money back!"

"Quite gladly. First, however, I expect this fine fellow will first pay you back for the things he sold of yours, as well as find you a serviceable shirt." Heinrich puts a heavy, unfriendly hand on the innkeeper's shoulder. His voice is considerably less friendly in tone as he adds: "Won't you, good sir." It is not a question.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 10:38:44 AM
[Cannon and Max]

The innkeeper looks astonished that Heinrich has dared lay hands on him. His face twists into an expression of defiance, "I am an innocent party in this matter! Remove your hand or I will call for the watch."

The thought noticeably passes across his mind that the watch wouldn't arrive soon enough to save him from whatever Heinrich might do... and Heinrich looks like he means business.

"However, I am an honest businessman, and I do not want the flawless reputation of the Journey's End sullied in this fashion. And - as I was about to say, before you decided to threaten me quite needlessly - the young gentleman's effects sold for a sum significantly in excess of his bill. I would be delighted to refund the difference. Would 12 crowns be acceptable? Ah, and one of my son's shirts, to fill your immediate need."

"Oh, yes indeed!" Max says, "That's awfully good of you, sir. I'm sure I paid a lot more than that for my things, but you really don't have to pay me anything, so that's a very fair offer. And I don't mind so much not having a shirt, since it's so hot outside, but it is a bit embarrassing being without one. I'm very grateful to your son for giving up one of his shirts for me... perhaps I should pay for it, out of the money you are refunding me?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
[Cannon and Max]

The innkeeper looks astonished that Heinrich has dared lay hands on him. His face twists into an expression of defiance, "I am an innocent party in this matter! Remove your hand or I will call for the watch."

The thought noticeably passes across his mind that the watch wouldn't arrive soon enough to save him from whatever Heinrich might do... and Heinrich looks like he means business.

"However, I am an honest businessman, and I do not want the flawless reputation of the Journey's End sullied in this fashion. And - as I was about to say, before you decided to threaten me quite needlessly - the young gentleman's effects sold for a sum significantly in excess of his bill. I would be delighted to refund the difference. Would 12 crowns be acceptable? Ah, and one of my son's shirts, to fill your immediate need."

"Oh, yes indeed!" Max says, "That's awfully good of you, sir. I'm sure I paid a lot more than that for my things, but you really don't have to pay me anything, so that's a very fair offer. And I don't mind so much not having a shirt, since it's so hot outside, but it is a bit embarrassing being without one. I'm very grateful to your son for giving up one of his shirts for me... perhaps I should pay for it, out of the money you are refunding me?"

"Excellent!" Heinrich gives the man a friendly slap on the shoulder, "I will tell everyone I meet what an honest and respectable establishment this is."

Once Max gets his cash and shirt, Heinrich will say:

"Now let us find these fair weather friends of yours, Max, and I shall shake them and see if your money falls out."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 11:45:57 AM
Max insists on paying the innkeeper one crown for the shirt. It's white and not that new, but it's clean enough and in good condition. Max puts it on, wincing as the cloth touches his injured chest. It's rather too big for him, but it's a definite improvement.

"Thank you so much, Heinrich! I hope we catch up with those so-called friends of mine. Will you accept any money for your help? I hate to be a burden."

They leave the inn and head through the east gate, into the fair. Max suggests they try the beer tent first. It's already packed - so much so that there are groups of people standing outside the tent with their drinks. Max spots his university friends at once: four young men dressed in extremely colourful clothes, enthusiastically working their way through large tankards of beer.

"That's them," Max tells Heinrich, "Albrecht, Erhard, Barthel, and Georg."

One of the men sees Max, and points him out to the others. "Hey, look boys, Max is back! The hero returns! Did you slay the dragon?" The others laugh.

Max's face turns red. "I want my money back, you bastards! I've found some new friends who treat me like a real person instead of a mascot, and I'm not going to take your insults any more!"

The students laugh even harder.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 11:49:00 AM
Max insists on paying the innkeeper one crown for the shirt. It's white and not that new, but it's clean enough and in good condition. Max puts it on, wincing as the cloth touches his injured chest. It's rather too big for him, but it's a definite improvement.

"Thank you so much, Heinrich! I hope we catch up with those so-called friends of mine. Will you accept any money for your help? I hate to be a burden."

They leave the inn and head through the east gate, into the fair. Max suggests they try the beer tent first. It's already packed - so much so that there are groups of people standing outside the tent with their drinks. Max spots his university friends at once: four young men dressed in extremely colourful clothes, enthusiastically working their way through large tankards of beer.

"That's them," Max tells Heinrich, "Albrecht, Erhard, Barthel, and Georg."

One of the men sees Max, and points him out to the others. "Hey, look boys, Max is back! The hero returns! Did you slay the dragon?" The others laugh.

Max's face turns red. "I want my money back, you bastards! I've found some new friends who treat me like a real person instead of a mascot, and I'm not going to take your insults any more!"

The students laugh even harder.

Heinrich will punch the biggest one square in the mouth.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 13, 2012, 12:10:45 PM
Julian's neck tenses as he bristles with anger.

"recover it and you will be rewarded well" Julian almost-shouts, echoing the clerk's own words, before tossing the mutated pelvis on the ground and then spitting next to it. "That's been recovered"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 12:12:37 PM
[Cannon and Max]


Heinrich punches the one who was doing all the talking.

[unarmed combat: -20 WS and -2 damage for anyone without 'street fighting' or 'wrestling.' Armour provides double protection.]

[Heinrich to hit roll = 15 = hit, aimed vs unsuspecting target, hits head, S4 +1 - 2 +d6 roll of 4 - T3 = 4 wounds caused!]

He hits the student very hard in the mouth - there's a loud cracking noise as some of his teeth break - and he falls backwards onto the floor.

Max tries punching one of the others...

[Max to hit roll = 65 = miss!]

...but the student dodges out of the way. The one Max went for tries to hit him back...

[to hit = 5, hit!, hits left arm, S3 + d6 roll of 2 - 2 - T2 = 1 wound caused]

... he hits Max in the left arm, knocking him backwards.

The other two students drop their tankards and attack Heinrich...

[to hit roll = 26 = miss! (-20 to WS, remember)]
[to hit roll = 29 = miss!]

...but they aren't very skilled, and he easily avoids them.

Heinrich punches one of them...

[to hit roll = 17 = hit! 71 = hits body, S4 + 1 - 2 + d6 roll of 2 - T3 = 2 wounds caused]

...catching him in the stomach, causing him to double up in pain.

The other one hits him back...

[to hit roll = 36 = miss] but misses.

Max is attacked again...

[to hit  = 93 = miss]

...but the student's attack is way off target. Max takes the opportunity to hit back...

[to hit = 60]

...but isn't any better at fighting than his opponent.

At this point, a loud voice says, "Break it up! This is the watch!" A patrol has arrived on the scene - one of the students (the one still fighting Heinrich) tries to run, and is tripped up by one of the watchman (he uses his halberd shaft to do it). The one fighting Max actually takes a swing at one of the watchmen: he's clubbed viciously on the head for his trouble, and collapses. The two students Heinrich injured are still recovering from the punches, and do nothing. Max raises his arms in surrender.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 12:27:35 PM
Heinrich submits to the watch, explaining that these men stole from his friend Max, and that he had been attempting to convince them to return it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 12:39:30 PM
[Finlay and Fandir]

The clerk gasps with astonishment as Julian throws the pelvis at his feet, and steps back. The two watchmen guarding the court entrance ready their weapons and move up to flank the clerk protectively.

"That... that bone could have come from anywhere!" the clerk declares, though even he seems to realise the absurdity of his statement.

"It's got three leg holes in it," the first watchman says, "can't be too many three-legged things about!"

"Right enough," says the other, "the dwarf's got a point, Herbert."

The clerk turns furiously to the watchman, and shouts, "don't you dare address me by my name! I'll report you to the magistrate!"

"Calm down, Herbert," the first watchman says, "you're causing a scene. Why don't you just give the dwarf his money?"

"He's earned it, I'd say," the other watchman adds.

The clerk looks helplessly from one watchman to the other, then bends down and stares at the goblin pelvis.

"I suppose I have to concede that this belonged to the goblin," he says, his voice shaking with anger. "I must have been misinformed when I was told a warhouseman found it dead near the river." He glares at Julian with a look of absolute hatred, and vanishes into the court tent. He returns a moment later with a piece of parchment.

"Take this to the town hall. They'll cash it for you. Bogenhafen thanks you for the service you've done."

He throws the parchment on the floor - it's an order for the treasury to pay the bearer the sum of 40 gold crowns. Without another word, the clerk returns to the tent.

"Don't worry about him," the first watchmen says to Julian, "he's an uptight little bastard."

"He surely is," says the other, "well done for killing that goblin, Mr. Dwarf! I wish more people in this town were like you. Public spirited!"

"Not a lot of it about these days."

"Everyone's out for themselves. It's not like when I was a boy."

The two watchmen return to their posts, and continue their conversation.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 12:43:10 PM
[Cannon and Max]

The patrol sergeant rolls his eyes, "Yes, I've heard it all before. The whole lot of you are going to the Festival Court. We'll let the magistrate sort this out."

The watchmen take Heinrich, Max, and the four students into custody (they have to carry the one who was clubbed). They are marched to the Festival Court. Julian and Klaus are standing outside the tent as they approach.

[Heinrich and co. arrive just after my last post]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 13, 2012, 12:51:44 PM
When Klaus sees Heinrich and Max being herded in by the guard he follows them to figure out what happened and also offer help shouldnīt they be able to talk themselves out of it but at first he doesnīt make himself known as a friend of the two.

Klaus also makes a mental note of the two friendly watchmen as he has some questions he wants to ask them.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 13, 2012, 01:15:50 PM
Julian walks back to the guardsmen and asks them  “Thanks for the help there. Although Herbert should be thanking you too! Doesn’t he know you should never double cross a dwarf” Julian chuckles, before handing them each 6 shillings “don’t suppose you lads know anything about the report from the warehouse? I’m curious as to who else claimed to have killed him”




He too doesn’t reveal himself to know Heinrich, as he is sure the vindictive Herbert would want to punish him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 01:56:07 PM
The watch patrol take Heinrich, Max and the students inside the court tent. Klaus follows behind them, and watches to proceedings from the back of the tent.

The magistrate looks up from his papers, and says, "Charges?"

"Public brawling," the sergeant says, "plus one charge of attempting to flee, and one of resisting arrest." He indicates two of the students as he says this.

Herbert, the clerk, is writing everything down.

"Names and occupations?" the magistrate intones.

"Max Breytenbach, student." Max says.

"Heinrich Kanone des Untergangs, bounty-hunter." says Heinrich.

"Barthel Altdorfer, student." says the one who tried to flee.

"Albrecht Cranach, student." says the one Heinrich punched in the mouth.

"Georg Rottenhammer, student." mutters the one the guards clubbed.

"Erhard Grunewald, student." says the last one.

"Duly entered." the clerk says.

"Well," the magistrate says, "clearly you are all guilty of brawling. Do you have anything to say?"

"Yes, sir," Max says, "these four men - all of whom I used to call friends - stole my money and refused to return it. Heinrich was only trying to help me recover my property. I take full responsibility for my own actions, and for Heinrich's too. But these men are thieves!"

"That's a lie, you little runt!" Albrect shouts. Droplets of blood spray from his injured mouth as he speaks.

"Don't listen to the runt, sir," Erhard says, "we'd never steal from anyone!"

"My father is the richest man in Hergig," says Barthel, "why would I need to rob anyone?"

"How much money do you claim was stolen?" the magistrate asks Max.

"Fifty crowns, sir. The landlord of the Journey's End Inn will confirm that, and the rest of my story too. They told him to sell my things to pay the inn bill, and took my money for themselves."

"I see. You, bounty-hunter: you performed a good service for the town yesterday. It is unfortunate that you are now on the other side of the law. Do you confirm your friend's story?"

Heinrich tells his side of the story, as the magistrate listens carefully. He then listens as the four students, one after another, give their testimony.

"I will not trouble the landlord of the Journey's end with this matter. Do you have anything else to add?" he says to Max.

Max explains how he came to leave the students at the Crossed Pikes the night before... and suddenly catches sight of Klaus at the back of the tent. "Sir, I have a witness who can confirm everything I said - my friend Klaus is here! Please, Klaus, will you speak for me?"

He looks at Klaus, with a look of hope on his face.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 13, 2012, 02:04:40 PM
OOC:....oh this is bad.

"Of course I will." Klaus approaches the magistrate with measured steps looking at the guards to make sure they donīt beat him down mistaking him for an aggressor. "Well at least part of the story, the part of the crossed pikes. I was investigating the sewers to the gain of the city and asked people for assistance those four were at the inn." Klaus points at the students. "And the encouraged good Herr Breytenbach here to join the expedition into the sewers, mostly to mock him, but he proved to be a great help. But that isnīt of concern here, the next morning he left to get his money and goods from the tavern in company of Herr Kanone des Untergangs here. I wasnīt at the inn though and canīt speak about what happened there. As I am quiet a good judge of character I would say it fits those spoiled youths to steal the money from one of theirs."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 02:08:48 PM
[Finlay]

Julian hands each of the watchmen 6 shillings.

"Thank you kindly, Mr. Dwarf!" says the first one. "My name's Kurt. You're a good sort and no mistake."

"A real gentleman," says the other one, "I'm Hans."

"Herbert's a nasty one though, so you watch yourself. He'll get you if he can!"

"That's true - he got my leave cancelled last month. I missed my son's birthday because of him.  Bastard!"

"It's a funny business though, with the goblin. We were all told this morning that the goblin had been killed in one of the Steinhager warehouses, some time last night."

"The news came from the captain himself," Hans says, "not directly, like, but he sent Sergeant Holbein to tell the court. The captain trusts Holbein with everything."

"Why would they go to all the trouble to tell us that if it wasn't even true? It doesn't make sense."

"Beats me, Kurt. Do you have any idea, Mr. Dwarf? Where did you find the goblin anyway?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 02:49:51 PM
[Trial, continuing]

The magistrate listens intently to Klaus, glaring at him disconcertingly as he does so. When Klaus is finished, he says, "Thank you for your evidence, Mr - ah, you have not given your full name."

He then glares in much the same way at Max, and then at the four students. Finally he turns to Heinrich. "I think this matter has dragged on long enough. Do you have anything further to say, Mr. Untergangs?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 03:09:07 PM
[commandant]

Mortus strolls across town to the Adel Ring. This is the area where the town's richest people live, and it's as beautiful a place as Bogenhafen can offer. The park is at the centre of the ring: an iron fence surrounds it, and tree-lined walkways lead to a decorative fountain at the centre. The area is quieter than the rest of the town - most passersby are servants, but occasionally Mortus sees richly-dressed men and woman accompanied by bodyguards.

There are six large mansions on the ring, each with their own substantial grounds, and six smaller (but still very fine) houses. There are walls around the grounds of each mansion, and each has gateposts inscribed with its owner's symbol. Mortus recognises the symbols of the merchant houses from the guild, and she also sees the coat of arms of Baron von Saponatheim, the town's lord (she has seen it before in her study of heraldry).

Working clockwise on the map from the leftmost mansion, they belong to: Franz Steinhager, Heinrich Steinhager, Heironymous Ruggbroder, Jochen Haagen, Baron Wilhem von Saponatheim, and Johannes Teugen.

Mortus spends some time in the park, which is very pleasant on such a hot day. She returns to the merchants' guild in good time for her meeting.

The desk clerk asks her to wait, ordering a servant to bring her a glass of wine. In ten minutes, another servant escorts her upstairs to a pleasant meeting room with a good view of the town hall through the window. A man and a woman are waiting for her, both well-dressed and wearing elaborate jewelry.

"Ah, Miss Mortus of the House of Basanduine, I believe?" the man says, "I am Pietr Pencz, factor for the Steinhager family. This is Elisabeta Donauer, factor for the Teugen family."

"Good afternoon," Elisabeta says. "do please sit down. Now, what can we do for you?"

They both smile expectantly at Mortus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 13, 2012, 03:16:22 PM
"I would like to thank you for meeting me in such good order," Mortus says as she sits.   "For I am sure that you are very busy men.   I am sure that you are aware that the House of Basanduine is a wine trading family in Nordland.   We were looking to expand our industry.   As I am sure you are aware that the nobles of Nordland are very interested in Southern wines and therefore I have been sent south in order to see if it would be possible to engage in trade with some of the southern trading families in order to fill this need that is opening up in the North."   Mortus pauses to check their reactions.   "The main family that we sell to is the Lord of Nordmasdon, Erick Von Olgoleor.   I don't know if you have hear of him this far south but he often throws great parties with thousands of invited guests and is often heard to say that he has the best wine cellar in the Empire.   Our standard method when a new wine is discovered is to bring four or five barrels north for his indulgence and then to return south for a much bigger order if he approves.   The second order normally ranges in the region of three thousand plus barrels."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 13, 2012, 09:50:31 PM
"That is all as needs to be said, your honor. I returned with Max to confront these fellows, and they heaped upon him such insults as could not be born by any just man. I chose to correct them, and am indeed guilty of brawling, and will pay my fee, but I beg your honor to surely see young Max's money returned to him. It is only right."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 10:39:38 PM
[Trial of the century!]

The magistrate nods as Heinrich speaks. "Indeed, I think this case is clear enough. I am satisfied that Max Breytenbach is owed the sum of 50 crowns by these four 'friends,' and the judgement of this court is that the money will be returned to him at once. I do not condone your methods, Mr. Untergangs, but I will not sanction you for them on this occasion.

"All six of you are guilty of brawling, and will pay a fine of 5 crowns each. As to the additional charges against Barthel Altdorfer and Georg Rottenhammer: the two of you show an especial disrespect for the law. While I am mindful that you are educated men, I nevertheless feel you would benefit from some time to think on your actions. You will do so in the stocks. Take them out."

Barthel and Georg are led, protesting, to the stocks. Albrecht and Heinrich are made to hand over 50 crowns to Max, and after paying their fines are allowed to leave. Max insists on paying Heinrich's fine as well as his own.

"You were only involved in this at all because of me, Heinrich. I am so grateful for everything you've done. Please, will you accept some money in payment for your services? I don't want to offend you... but I feel I really must give you something. Will you take 10 crowns?"

Max then turns to Klaus. "Klaus, thank you for your wonderful speech to the court. You should become a lawyer yourself! Now that I have some money, I can pay you back for the what you spent on the physician. 5 crowns, wasn't it? Please, take the money." He presses five crowns into Klaus's hand. Then he pauses, blushing. "Uh, Klaus, you saved my life in the sewer, and then you were so kind to me while I was injured. I'd like to give you some money, but I don't want you to think I'm trying to buy your friendship. Would you accept 10 crowns, as a gift?"

The three of them leave the tent, and meet up with Julian outside.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 13, 2012, 11:08:50 PM
[commandant]

"Forgive me, Miss Mortus," Elisabeta purrs, "but I have never heard of the House of Basanduine." She looks at Pietr, who shakes his head.

"That in itself means little," he says, "since we do not currently engage in any direct trade with Nordland."

"Neither do we - but of course, we are always interested in expansion."

"It is rather a long way, of course, and the Marienburg route is expensive." Pietr frowns. "The Haagens have the Marienburg trade firmly in their grip."

"Not so firmly now, Pietr - we have made some gains recently." Elisabeta smiles. "The Teugen family has excellent trade links to Middenheim, and once there the journey to Nordland is trivial."

"Not trivial, my dear! I think only the Steinhager caravans are sufficient to the task."

"Perhaps a joint venture then? So, Miss Mortus: you wish to purchase a sample of wine for this northern lord of yours. Do you intend to transport it yourself, or will you want us to ship it for you?"

"And then there is the matter of which wines you are interested in," Pietr says, "Would you like me to arrange a tasting session?"

"Of course, a deposit would be necessary before any further progress could be made," Elisabeta adds.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 14, 2012, 02:27:57 AM
"I appreciate your gratitude, young Max, but I would be more honored to simply be counted your friend, and no true friend would accept payment for simply acting within the tenets of fellowship. I know Klaus would have acted just as I did if he had heard those fellows' eggregious insults! Let us put the matter behind us and go get you some proper gear."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 06:43:43 AM
Klaus seems to be very happy that the affair went so well for Heinrich and Max, as he knows how fickle the imperial law can be. A foul mood of the magistrate would have been enough for Heinrich and Max being walked off to the stocks. Now he is very intent to leave the scene to not attract more attention to the group. Upon the offer of Max to receive 15 crowns his smile broadens even more, just as he considers taking the money he hears Heinrich making his.....friendship speech. For a moment his eyes dart from Max to Heinrich and back again.


"Well of course Heinrich is right. True friends do things like that every day, Max you really should learn to choose your friends more wisely. Those guys, your fellow students were no true friends. They exploited you wherever they could. Now Heinrich and of course me too only have the best of you for you in our interest, and I am pretty sure you see it the same way. I am sure at some point in the future we will need the help of you as dire as you needed ours and then....you as a true friend will be there to help us out. Therefore I wonīt take those 10 crowns, but I gladly take those 5 crowns as compensation for the physician." As Klaus accepts the money he also explains on the way out how he wants to try to get access to one of the Barons underlings to try to gain the attention of the Baron on the unholy actions that go on in the city of Bogenhafen, in hope to gain support and protection of the local Lord.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 14, 2012, 06:56:58 AM
Klaus seems to be very happy that the affair went so well for Heinrich and Max, as he knows how fickle the imperial law can be. A foul mood of the magistrate would have been enough for Heinrich and Max being walked off to the stocks. Now he is very intent to leave the scene to not attract more attention to the group. Upon the offer of Max to receive 15 crowns his smile broadens even more, just as he considers taking the money he hears Heinrich making his.....friendship speech. For a moment his eyes dart from Max to Heinrich and back again.


"Well of course Heinrich is right. True friends do things like that every day, Max you really should learn to choose your friends more wisely. Those guys, your fellow students were no true friends. They exploited you wherever they could. Now Heinrich and of course me too only have the best of you in our interest, and I am pretty sure you see it the same way. I am sure at some point in the future we will need the help of you as dire as you needed ours and then....you as a true friend will be there to help us out. Therefore I wonīt take those 10 crowns, but I gladly take those 5 crowns as compensation for the physician." As Klaus accepts the money he also explains on the way out how he wants to try to get access to one of the Barons underlings to try to gain the attention of the Baron on the unholy actions that go on in the city of Bogenhafen, in hope to gain support and protection of the local Lord.

"That's not a bad plan, Klaus, but I worry how far the corruption might go. At any rate, we shouldn't speak of such things out here in the open. Let's go sell these silver pieces, get Max some gear, and figure what we should do from there."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 14, 2012, 08:53:35 AM
"I thank you for your interest," Mortus says.   "What you must understand is Lord Olgoleor is a very private man.   The standard method that we normally use when trying to sell him a new wine is to engage an agent such as myself to purchase some tasting barrels to carry north to him and then if he enjoyes the wine to return for a much greater order."   She pauses and smiles.   "I will transport the sample myself.   Lord Olgoleor is very interested in new wines however it is of vital importance that the surprise of a new arrival not be spoilt by information leaking north.   I am sure that you will understand."   She pauses again.   "A tasting would be very good I think.   Though only with three or four wines.   I would not ant to be carrying too many casks north."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 08:59:58 AM
Max is speechless. His eyes well with tears, but he does his best to hold them in. He hugs Heinrich, and then Klaus. Only then is he able to talk, "Heinrich, Klaus... you are the best friends I have ever had, even though I've known you for a short time! I promise I will do anything I can to help both of you, no matter what dangers you face!"

It's all a bit embarrassing.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 09:09:14 AM
Klaus is very emberrassed by the scene, he also looks around if someone else in the crowd that has listened to the trial looks exceptional, people overly interested in us or the trial or pretty young women that might be impressed by Klaus`s heroic speech.

"Well Heinrich got it right though, if you want to help us we should need to outfit you with sturdy clothes, maybe even an armour and also some weapon, maybe a sword representing your nobility. Letīs pick up Julian on the way out.....Mortus still isnīt around? I wonder what she is up to now."

If Klaus manages to catch Julian still in talks with the guardsmen he would like to  join the conversation and ask if the guards know any more detail on the Sergeant Hohlbein what kind of guy he is, what his temper is and since when he is serving in the guard.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 09:57:54 AM
[commandant]

"If it is only a matter of three or four casks of wine, then I am sure you will be able to pay for them? Your lord must have provided you with sufficient funds, after all." Elisabeta smirks as she says this.

"Now now, Elisabeta: let us not imply that Miss Mortus is without funds. Why, that is almost as bad as saying she is a fraud!" Pietr looks shocked at the idea... superficially, at least. He smiles at Mortus, "perhaps, Miss Mortus, you can allay my associate's groundless suspicions by showing us that you can pay for the wine?"

[Make a Fel test if you intend to bluff them.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 10:00:50 AM
“We found the goblin in… er.. a side drain” The lie comes clumsily, unnaturally, to the dwarf. “I don’t know why they claimed to have found him in a store room, or why someone would want to invent that fiction. Perhaps they wanted to tarnish the Steinhager’s reputation or bring their secu ity to question'

Julian will stop at the freak show in their way to the shops,  taking the pelvis with him.
[Julian is ready to go shopping!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 10:52:15 AM
Julian's conversation with the guards is over by the time Heinrich, Klaus and Max emerge from the court. No one is taking any notice of them - a small crowd has gathered to throw things at the two students in the stocks. The other two students are nowhere to be seen.

Julian wants to stop at the freak show on the way to the merchant stalls, and since they are passing anyway the others go with him. Doctor Malthusius sees Julian and greets him, "Ah, good day to you, sir! I'm so sorry you had a wasted trip into the sewers. I went to the court this morning to ask if there was any news, and they told me my goblin was killed in a warehouse by the docks. It's a terrible shame - it was a unique specimen. What I don't understand is why the authorities won't at least return the body to me. I could have it stuffed and mounted as a display. What possible reason could they have for keeping it? Anyway, I am grateful that you made the attempt at least. Can I offer you all a glass of brandy, and perhaps a pipe? I have an excellent Woodhill Gold, from the Moot."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 11:02:44 AM
“Ah, very kind, very kind. Smoke from the moot is the best” Julian takes the brandy and a pipe- pipe smoking being his favourite past time. He takes a few puffs savouring the sweet taste of the tobacco, before saying “There is something amiss here, Doctor, we have both been lied to, and I cannot work out why. The goblin wasn’t killed in a warehouse, and we have recovered the body… well, some of it anyway.” Julian again produces the goblin’s pelvis, pressing it into Malthusius’ hand.
“I’m sure this would still be of some value to you, the mutated bone structure is clear, so our trip was not entirely wasted”
Julian lets the hint hang in the hair, which is by now heavy with pipe smoke, and takes a gulp of brandy.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 14, 2012, 11:20:55 AM
Mortus will take six golden crowns out of her purse and stack them neatly on the table infront of her for a few seconds before sweeping them back into her purse.   She will raise her eyebrows slightly as she does this.

"I also have letters of credit from Anairgead von Basanduine that I will be able to cash in order to meet the payment.   I assure you that I have being given a line of credit that is more than long enough for the purchases of sample casks that I have in mind." she says.   "I understand that you must not take the word of any merchant that appears in the guild hall.   I hope that this is enough of a display in order to set your mind at risk.   You would understand of course why a young woman, travelling with only a few friends and on a secret mission for Lord Olgoleor would not want to carry vast sums of gold in coin with her."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 12:31:12 PM
[At the freak show]

The doctor is astonished by the sight of the goblin pelvis. "But where did you find this? In the sewers? Oh my... there are some scratches on the bone, suggesting that the poor creature was eaten. Do you have any idea what did this? And why would the town lie to me? It makes no sense at all." He shakes his head sadly, and then takes a long puff at his pipe.

"I know I promised you 50 crowns to retrieve my goblin, but I'm sure you must understand that I cannot afford to pay such a sum for the pelvis only. However, the pelvis is the critical feature of the specimen, and will still serve as an interesting part of the show. I could pay you 25 crowns for it, I believe. Is that acceptable?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 12:45:23 PM
[Commandant]

Elizabeta's eyebrows rise as Mortus shows her the six crowns.

"Ah, we are talking about a very small order indeed then. I think my time could be used more profitably. Good afternoon." She immediately stands and leaves the room.

Pietr smiles. "Please, pay her no mind, Miss Mortus. The Teugen family has become very arrogant lately. I assure you that the Steinhager family is interested in your business, no matter how small it may be to begin with. However, I have other matters to attend to. I shall refer you to my clerk, Anders. He will allow you to taste some of our best wines, and will afterward be able to sell you a small selection of them." He writes a brief letter of instruction to this effect, and passes it to Mortus. He then calls out to a servant, who enters the room at once. "Escort Miss Mortus to my clerk's office." He rises, and bows slightly to Mortus. "Good afternoon to you, Miss Mortus. I look forward to doing business with you in the future."

The servant will lead her to the clerk's office.


[Keep in mind Mortus has low Fel and no economic or social skills! She's not terribly convincing.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 01:03:10 PM
"Very generous Doctor. We would be happy to accept. However, we don't know what did this, or why the town are lying. We did fight some sort of... sewer blob down there, and we saw large rats, so there could be any manner o creature in the sewers.

Bogenhafen seems to have a few secrets. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 14, 2012, 01:06:50 PM
"Good day to you as well sir," Mortus says taking the letter.   "I look forward to doing bussiness with you."   She will follow the servant.

"Not very nice the Teugens," she will say with a smile when they have left the office.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 01:12:24 PM
Realizing that the group will first take some time smoking mind altering herbs and then going to buy some goods Klaus wants to try finding the Baron so he wanders off to the jousting area. Before leaving he will put his hand on the shoulder of Max telling him to get the best equipment his money can buy as it might become even more dangerous the next days.

He asks some of the local guards what the sigil of the Baron is joking that he doesnīt accidently cheer the wrong noble. If he knows what the sigil is he will try to find some guards bearing the code of the Baron and telling them to be brought to the captain of his guard or some other underling higher in the ranking.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 02:29:35 PM
The doctor hands Julian the money. "There's something bad happening in this town, certainly. I will be leaving as soon as the fair is over - I only wish I could go sooner, but I can't afford to lose the business. May Sigmar watch over you all!"

He makes the sign of the hammer, and then says, "Take some pipeweed with you: I find it helps me think, and no doubt you'll need to do a lot of that!" He gives Julian a pouch of the pipeweed they've been smoking, and then bids them farewell.


Julian, Heinrich and Max go on to the merchant stalls. Heinrich sells the silver candlesticks and the tray (each in a different place, to avoid raising suspicion) and makes a total of 70 crowns.

Max is very excited about buying weapons, and babbles on at some length. "Klaus told me to get the best things I could, since it could save my life. I'm sure he was right - he's been in so many battles! Will you help me choose things, Heinrich? And you too, Mr. Julian sir? I wonder if I need some new clothes. Maybe some proper shoes instead of sandals? And some longer breeches? I must get a bow - I hope you'll give me some advice on shooting one, Heinrich. And I need a weapon - should I get a sword? Or an axe? Is an axe best, Mr. Julian sir? I'll buy a new knife so I can return yours, Heinrich. I think I need a shield too, with an impressive design on the front, like a real soldier would have! And a helmet. I'd like a mail shirt too, but they are so expensive and anyway I think my chest is still too sore to hang all that metal against it. Maybe I could get some leather armour."

What are Heinrich and Julian interested in buying?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 02:54:25 PM
[Fandir]

Klaus makes his way to the jousting area, which is packed with well-dressed men and women. There are a large number of guards stationed around to keep undesirables away - Klaus walks right up to a couple of the guards, and asks what the baron's coat of arms looks like - joking that he doesn't want to cheer the wrong side.

[Fel test = 32 = pass!]

They tell him that the baron's arms incorporate a winged red fish on a yellow field, and this badge can be found on all the members of his household. The Grand Duke of Middenland, whose retinue is the other party in the contest, uses a white wolf's head on a blue field.

Heinrich works his way through the crowd, until he can see the jousting field itself. Two knights are ready to begin: each is fully armoured and mounted on an enormous warhorse. One has an orange and blue shield, with a white wolf's head in the top left quadrant and a white hart in the lower right. The other has a split red and yellow shield, with the baron's fish on the yellow side and a yellow serpent on the red side. As Klaus watches, the knights charge toward each other. The blue and orange knight breaks his lance against the red and yellow knight's shield, causing him to rock in the saddle. The crowd roars with approval.

Klaus looks towards the red and yellow knight's side of the field, and sees a group of armed men wearing the baron's badge. He approaches them and introduces himself, asking to speak to someone in authority.

[Fel test = 94! Fail]

"Why should anyone in authority be interested in you?" sneers one of the guards. "You don't look like the kind of man the captain would speak to. You look more like the kind of man he'd tell us to beat up and throw in the river. What do you want anyway?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 03:01:07 PM
"Well to start with I rather dont want to be beaten and thrown into the river. My name is Klaus Metzger and while trying to earn some money working for the city of Bogenhafen I found out something terrible endangering the city of Bogenhafen at least but maybe even the whole province. I canīt say more to you and have to speak to the captain of the guard. Of course I would pay you for your effort of arranging a meeting with him. (I would like to bribe the guards with an amount that would be appropriate I guess 10 Silver shillings?)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 03:12:53 PM
'What a nice fellow' Julian says. He is very pleased to have been given some tobacco.

Julian wishes to buy a pipe and a shield.

(Armour seems not worth it? )
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 03:19:39 PM
[Fandir]

The guard looks at Klaus again, thinking he'd rather enjoy beating him and throwing him in the river. But then he thinks to himself that it's really too hot a day for beating someone, and the river is quite a long walk. Why not just take the money?

[Klaus knows he'll need to offer a full crown to bribe the guard]

[Bribery test against 100-WP (25) +20 (bribery skill) =95% chance to take bribe! Dice roll = 54 = success]

"Well Mr. Klaus Whateveryournameis, since the town is in such terrible danger I'm sure the captain would love to hear about it. He's not a patient man though, so don't waste his time."

He takes the gold crown and casually slips it into his money pouch, and then goes off into one of the nearby tents. He returns shorty after.

"The captain will see you now. Come on."

Klaus follows the guard to the tent, and goes in. Inside, a man is lying face down on a table, naked apart from a cloth over his lower regions. A servant is massaging his back. "That'll do for now, Jacob," he says to the servant, and gets up from the table. His body looks badly bruised. "I was in the joust this morning," he says, "and I didn't do very well, as you can see. I am Sir Martin Rusdorf, captain of the baron's guard. I'm told you have some information that was important enough to interrupt my massage. Let's hear it then."

[be convincing!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 03:27:15 PM
"Sir, I cut right to the point to not waste your precious time. The ruinous powers are at work in the city of Bogenhafen!"

OOC: Dun Dun dun duuuuuuun. (I take the personal liberty to include Klaus in the thrilling event of a demon appearing)

"We, that is myself and some companions were up to some business in the sewers capturing a goblin mutant that escaped the freakshow when we found a room in which a seven pointed star was carved on the floor, green blood was smeared all over the place and as we tried to enter the room ......" Klaus pauses for theatrical effect the horror plain in his face. "A Demon appeared.....a foul beast with tentacles and razor sharp teeth. I donīt know how we managed to smite it but in the end we managed to banish it. There is a cult in Bogenhafen meddling with the dark powers. We try to find out who exactly is involved but......it might even be someone in power and therefore I thought it best to inform the Baron about the ongoings. If you donīt believe me I could lead you to the summoning room....and with me I mean the dwarven engineer with the map that was part the expedition."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 03:28:17 PM
Julian wishes to buy a pipe and a shield.

(Armour seems not worth it? )

[Armour is expensive, and you already have leather armour. Plus you have high toughness.]

Julian can buy a fine pipe for 5 shillings.

He could buy an unrimmed shield, which will last through a few fights only, for 10 shillings. Or he can buy a much sturdier shield for 10 crowns, which will last for considerably longer.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 03:31:44 PM
[Fandir: make a Fel test! You have a bonus from your story, but I want you to make the roll!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 03:34:13 PM
OOC: Oh noooooooo!

 :Ohmy:

Ok I use your dice rolling programm this time.

I rolled a 46
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
[46 = your exact Fel score!]

Sir Martin stares at Klaus in silence as he tells his story. When he's finished, he frowns, and says nothing for what seems a long time. At last, he says, "Your story seems absurd... and yet, I find myself believing you. If you are telling the truth, then this is a serious matter indeed." He paces up and down for a minute or two, while Klaus waits nervously. "I should like to see some evidence. You will lead two of my men into the sewer, and you will show them the room where you claim to have faced this demon. If you are lying to me, I will have you flogged. Jacob, fetch Ulrich and Walter."

The servant leaves the tent, and returns with two of the baron's guardsmen. "You two are to escort this man into the town sewers, where he will show you a certain room that he claims was used to summon a demon. You are to confirm his story, and to bring to me any evidence you find there. Keep a close watch on this man, and be sure to bring him back with you, so that he may be rewarded... or punished."

Sir Martin looks at Klaus again, his expression uncertain. "Do you have anything further to say before you go?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 04:03:20 PM
Julian buys a fine pipe and an expensive shield.

He is very happy with his rewards and always buys the best ewuiplent he can afford.

'Heinrich, what did I owe you for the helm? '
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 14, 2012, 04:06:10 PM
"Well maybe one thing, there wonīt be much to see right now the demon was banished and the one occult item we found there a skull was smashed by one of us. But your guardsmen can confirm the seven pointed star carved into the floor. Also the dwarf stated that there was a secret door alas it can only be opened from the other side, so if your men together with me find the room you should already try to plan a search on the building above the place OR get some hammers and gear to break the door down from the sewer side." Sweat is running down Klaus forehead as now everything depends on the room still being there....but there is no rational reason it wonīt be. So he will wait for the two guards on their arrival he will greet them politely and then go with  them in tow towards the manhole that leads into the sewers.

OOC: I guess the guards will take light with them...right?

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 04:08:05 PM
[Finlay]

"Mr. Julian sir?" Max says, "Is this a good axe to buy, sir? It looks very fearsome to me, sir, but I'd appreciate your opinion on it, sir."

Max is looking at a large and rather fancy axe that costs 10 crowns. Julian doesn't think much of it. He can see several more practical-looking axes for between 5 and 7 crowns.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 04:12:32 PM
“An axe is a good choice Max, needs less training than a sword. But I think you want something less fancy and more practical. What about this one?” Julian holds up the 5 crown axe.
“some more sturdy shoes and breeches would not go amiss either”
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 04:24:16 PM
[commandant]

The servant looks startled when Mortus makes the comment about the Teugen family. He looks around quickly to see if anyone is watching, and then leans forward and whispers to Mortus, "The Teugens are a bad lot! Don't get involved with them, miss."

He leads her to the clerk's office. Inside, she is greeted by a stooped old man, who takes the letter Pietr gave her and reads it. "Good afternoon, Miss Mortus, I am Anders. You wish to taste some wines, I believe? It would be my pleasure."

Anders presents Mortus with a selection of different wines, and she tastes them all with some enjoyment.

"I do hope some of those will appeal to the pallet of your lord in Nordland? Would you like to purchase a number of bottles to take with you? If you wish, you can tour our warehouses - it will give you an opportunity to see the range of goods the Steinhager family deals in, as well as the efficiency of our service."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 04:29:24 PM
Max listens attentively to Julian's every word. "Thank you, Mr. Julian sir! I'll buy the axe you think is best, sir, and I'll get some proper shoes and some new breeches too! I want some like Klaus's, or Heinrich's. And a helmet and a shield and a leather vest.

"Heinrich," he says, "which bow should I get? There are so many to choose from!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 14, 2012, 06:37:33 PM
Mortus looks really pleased.   She sips each wine carefully and smiles.

"You have some very fine vintages here," she says.   "I would be very pleased to have a tour of the warehouses.   Thank you very much."

While in the tour of the warehouse Mortus will keep an eye out for anything strange.   When it is finished she will buy two bottle of wine that she thinks will get great favour up north and then head to find the others
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 14, 2012, 08:53:49 PM
Max listens attentively to Julian's every word. "Thank you, Mr. Julian sir! I'll buy the axe you think is best, sir, and I'll get some proper shoes and some new breeches too! I want some like Klaus's, or Heinrich's. And a helmet and a shield and a leather vest.

"Heinrich," he says, "which bow should I get? There are so many to choose from!"

"Let us see what can be found." Heinrich will look for a quality bowyer and fletcher, and will purchase 20 more arrows when he can.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 10:06:13 PM
[Fandir]

Sir Martin scowls. "So, you are already telling me that there will be little evidence! This had better be more than a story, or I promise you will regret it. Go!"

The two guardsmen, Walter and Ulrich, go with Klaus into Bogenhafen. They are a grim pair, and have little to say to him - they are angry that they have to go into the sewers on what is probably a wild goose chase. Klaus directs them to the manhole he entered before, and sure enough the ladder is still in place. The guards light a torch each, and hand another to Klaus, and they descend into the sewer.

Memories of his previous expeditions come immediately into Klaus's mind: the horribly mutilated corpse of the poor dwarf, appearing to scream as it fell back against the sewer wall; the terrible blob creature, swallowing Boris whole; the awful, discordant noise that accompanied the destruction of the demon. He fervently wishes he'd never agreed to come back here... but maybe this is the only way to save the town?

Walter leads the way, directed by Klaus, and Ulrich takes up the rear. Clearly, they don't want to give Klaus a chance to escape... As they take the familiar route towards the secret room, the sewer is quiet apart from the occasional chittering of rats. Klaus keeps an eye on the surface of the water, fearing to see the bubbling that will herald the return of the blob. But the water is still.

At length they reach the body of Gottri the dwarf - or what remains of it. The rats have eaten away a great deal of the flesh. Klaus can't bear to look at the body, but he points it out to the guards. They aren't impressed - it's horrible, certainly, but it's just a dead dwarf.

They continue until they reach the secret room - this does surprise the guards, and they prepare their weapons as Walter tries the door. It's locked... Klaus is sure that the door was open before. In fact, didn't the door have a grating or something in it? This one is solid... and it looks new.

Walter takes out an axe, and begins hacking at the door. It takes him a while to break it open, and all the while Klaus is dreading what will be on the other side. At last, the door is opened. "After you," Walter says to him, and he goes inside.

The room is the same size as it was before. But it's completely empty. There's no cabinet, no circle, no star, no goblin bones, and no blood.

"Where's this evidence then?" Ulrich asks him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 10:34:20 PM
[Shopping still]

Max buys the axe Julian selects for him. He also buys a new knife, and returns the one he borrowed from Heinrich.

Heinrich finds a good fletcher's stall where he can buy himself some decent arrows. 5 arrows costs 30 shillings.

He selects a suitable bow for Max - not too powerful, so that the boy can draw it, and not too long either. He also helps him choose a quiver and 20 arrows. Max pays for those.

Max then buys a cheap metal helmet, a leather vest to protect his body, and a brightly-painted but cheap and rather flimsy wooden shield. "Look Heinrich, it has a cockatrice painted on it! That's on the flag of Ostermark you know - it's just what I dreamed of having when I was a boy!"

Lastly, he buys a pair of hard-wearing breeches, a pair of shoes, and a shirt that fits him better than the one he got at the inn. He's spent most of his money.

He changes into his new things right away - apparently not noticing or caring that he's doing so in public. "How do I look Heinrich, Mr Julian sir? Do I look like a soldier? I feel like one!"

He actually looks a bit ridiculous, but telling him so would probably crush his spirit.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 14, 2012, 10:50:17 PM
Heinrich assures him he looks every inch the fearsome warrior.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 10:52:53 PM
"Thank you Heinrich, that really means a lot coming from you!"

[if everyone is done shopping, you can decide what to do next. Mortus is still time-shifted into the afternoon, and Klaus is in the sewer having a bad time.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 14, 2012, 11:14:44 PM
[commandant]

Anders smiles, and calls in a servant. "Fetch Gotthold, would you."

The servant returns shortly, along with a bulky man with a shaved head. "This is Gotthold, my factotum. He'll see to your tour. Good day now, and I hope to see you again, Miss Mortus."

Gotthold bows, and leads Mortus out onto the street. He takes her to the riverside docks, on the way pointing out various interesting sights and chatting about the weather and other minor things. At the docks, he points out the many Steinhager boats, and describes the varied and interesting cargoes they carry.

He takes her into warhouse one - the one nearest to the town wall. It's packed full of crates bearing the Steinhager mark. "This is where most of our wine is stored at the moment. Come inside... I'll close the door so no one tries to sneak in."

Mortus feels slightly uneasy.

"Now, down here are the wines you tasted. Follow me... good." Mortus finds herself in a dead end among the crates. Gotthold is between her and the exit.

"Right," he says, in the same friendly tone he's used all along, " how about you tell me who you are, and who you are really working for."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 14, 2012, 11:27:06 PM
Julian needs to go to the town hall to get the reward from the clerk.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 15, 2012, 03:19:51 AM
Julian needs to go to the town hall to get the reward from the clerk.

Heinrich (and Max I suppose) will follow. Then we need to find Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 08:15:15 AM
Heinrich, Julian and Max stroll into town, and soon reach the town hall. Once there, Julian is able to cash the money order and collect the reward of 40 crowns.

"I wonder where Klaus is?" Max says, "he should be back from talking to the baron by now, and I want to show him my new weapons and things. I hope he's not in danger! Can you track him, Heinrich?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 08:40:33 AM
OOC: Wow....cliffhanger it is like the Empire strikes back...the most important characters (Commandante and me  :engel:) are in deep trouble....can the heroes still turn everything to the good? Turn on the next Episode of

Klaus Metzger.....Hero of Bogenhafen.

Klaus feels fear twisting his bowels when he sees the new door.....incredible dread enters his mind as he imagines how he will be bound and flogged. He has seen several petty criminals being punished that way but never had to experience it by himself. His fear peaking as he sees the empty room, his legs are like jelly and about to give way under him. His stomach recoils and he barely resist to throw up on the floor right there.

"No.....no no no. This canīt be." He walks into the room to examine everything.....he puts a finger on the tiles to check if the mortar is fresh....if someone has placed new tiles here overnight. "It was here I swear it....lets...." He licks over his very dry lips his voice an annoying high whisper "lets see if the secret door is still there." He stands up and walks over to where Julian found the secret door and with desperation pounds against the wall to see if it sounds hollow. At least he is the only one in this......actually he didnīt want to share the reward with the others, he already thought about collecting the reward of the Baron and then leaving this place as fast as possible and as far as possible......now he would be in trouble. If he was lucky he only would be flogged, if not......
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 15, 2012, 08:59:03 AM
"I can certainly try to track him, but with all these people his trail will be very difficult to pick up."

Heinrich makes the effort.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 09:06:44 AM
Klaus can tell that the floor tiles are indeed new. When he hits the wall where Julian said the secret door was, it does make a slightly different sound to the other walls... but only slightly.

"This looks like someone's cellar," Ulrich says, "no law against having a cellar."

"Right," Walter says, "and even if there is a secret door, so what? No law against those either. Or against re-tiling your floor. You said there would be evidence of demon summoning down here. You know what I think? I think you got drunk, and you came down here and imagined all sorts of crazy things."

"That's what I think too," Ulrich says grimly, "and I'm pretty damn annoyed I've been made to go into this stinking rat hole for no good reason. I think it's back to the captain with you, mate."

Walter blocks the door, while Ulrich advances on Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 09:19:26 AM
"But...wait, donīt you fools understand? They cleared up the evidence. They realized that we have seen the place and retiled the floor. Here check the mortar it is fresh only a few hours at best. Why would anyone retile his cellar during a festival?" Klaus is desperate and considers fleeing, but resisting them would only make his story even more unlikely.

"What if.....what if the dwarf of our group would swear on his beard.....I mean make an oath that there was a demon down here? Dwarfs are very serious about this kind of stuff."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 09:26:04 AM
"What dwarf? This story gets more ridiculous all the time. How should I know why they re-tiled their cellar? Maybe the damp got in and ruined the old floor. I've had enough of this: you're coming to see the captain. You can tell him about your dwarfs and your tiles and see what he has to say to it." Ulrich puts his hand firmly on Klaus's shoulder. He's holding some manacles in the other hand. "Put your hands out in front of you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 09:28:29 AM
Heinrich knows he has no chance of following Klaus's trail through the busy streets of Bogenhafen. All he can think to do is go to the jousting area where Klaus said he was going to see the baron, and look for signs of him there, or think where he might have gone afterward and ask around.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 09:31:27 AM
Klaus gives up and seems to shrink to half his size, with a sigh he puts his hands in front of him, fighting down tears that swell up into his eyes.

"You know....this isnīt necessary I will come without trying anything....and I donīt want to be in manacles should something vile appear in those sewers again. Please donīt chain me. I will do everything you say."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 09:45:58 AM
Ulrich laughs, unpleasantly. "That's what they all say. Don't worry, we'll make sure you get back to the captain nice and safe - we'd be in big trouble if you were eaten by a demon, or something like that." He locks the manacles around Klaus's wrists.

Ulrich gives Klaus a shove to start him walking. Walter leads the way, with Ulrich behind Klaus and holding his shoulder so he doesn't fall. The journey back to the manhole is especially frightening for Klaus. He imagines falling into the water and drowning, weighed down by his chains... or being engulfed by the blob-monster, just like poor Boris.

But, they arrive safely at the manhole. Klaus finds the ladder difficult to climb with his wrists manacled, but Walter and Ulrich manage to push and pull him out onto the street.

The sun is shining brightly down on the town. Curious passers-by stare and Klaus and the two guards. "Off to see the captain then," Walter says.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 10:28:57 AM
"Heinrich, Mr. Julian, I'm really worried about Klaus," Max says. "Shall we split up and look for him?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 10:34:14 AM
KLaus looks down so hopefully less people recognize him and will walk along meekly already thinking up the conversation with the captain and how it might still be possible to convince him of the danger looming.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 15, 2012, 10:53:44 AM
"Heinrich, Mr. Julian, I'm really worried about Klaus," Max says. "Shall we split up and look for him?"

"No, Max, it will be best if we stick together. Don't worry, Klaus can take of himself. We should head to the lists. He mentioned finding the Baron for some reason, and I imagine that's where he still is, grumpily sulking at having been refused an audience."

Heinrich guides Max in that direction.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 10:58:34 AM
Let's at least head to the jousting arena and see if we can find him.

I just hope the baron isn't cruel and stupid like Herbert
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 11:06:27 AM
"Oh, I'm sure you're right Heinrich," Max says, "you're so much wiser than I am. I really am worried though."

Heinrich, Julian and Max head back out of town through the postern gate, and walk towards the lists. The area is crowded with minor nobles, wealthy merchants, and guards. Beyond them, the sunlight catches magnificently on the armoured knights as they prepare for another bout.

As they get closer, Max suddenly shouts, "Look, there's Klaus! Where are they taking him?" and points towards a group of tents, surrounded by armed men. Klaus is being escorted into one of the tents by a pair of guardsmen. Without waiting to see what the others do, Max runs towards the tent as fast as he can.


[Fandir]

Klaus is marched through the town to the lists, and taken into the captain's test. Inside, the captain is sitting at a desk - now fully dressed - and writing something. He looks up, and says, "Well?"

"No evidence at all, sir," Walter says, "there was a room, like he said, but it was empty. Just a cellar, I think."

"That's right sir," Ulrich adds, "no sign of any magical business at all."

The captain looks at Klaus, "Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 15, 2012, 11:07:29 AM
Heinrich will sprint after Max, attempting to intercept him before he does anything foolish.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 11:11:20 AM
"They covered it up as they must have realized we found out about the place, there was a new door and the tiles on the floor were freshly mortared." Klaus looks to the guards. "Tell the captain that the mortar was still fresh....and the secret door also was still there.I...I just wanted to help the city. I didnīt want all of this to happen, oh please donīt flogg me. There is a dwarf that will swear an oath that there was a demon down there I can bring him here, him and the Bounty Hunter Heinrich too, and Max a lawyer to be of a rich family he will vouch for me."Klaus collapses to his knees begging for mercy." Oh please me lord you have to believe me, I will find you more evidence if you give me time."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 15, 2012, 11:54:31 AM
How many other people are in the warehouse?

"I am a wine factor for the house of Basanduine," Mortus says calmly.   Her voice is friendly but there is also a hint of steel in it.   She walks very close to Gotthold.   "Your master and you both know that.   Why would I be working for somebody else?"   She pauses to consider, looks down at her staff and decides that she is not a match for Gotthold and drops it on the ground.   "You are worried I am sure by the small amount of wine that I am ordering and the seeming lack of funds that I have.   I assure you that there is no need to be worried.   Use your merchants brain.   Would you send a rich covoy south on a secret mission to aquire some modern and new wines when a single person with a handful of coin will do the trick themselves."   She reaches out and grasps Gotthold's arm.   "Really why would you set up an innocent young woman in this way?"   Her eyes pleading.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 12:23:32 PM
Julian follows Max to the tent, but does not run.

He will tell a guards men that he wants to vouch for the fellow in chains.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 01:44:27 PM
Heinrich races after Max, but he can't overtake him. [same move value = run at the same speed]. Max reaches the guards near the tent, and tries to run past them. One of them steps in front of him and puts a hand on his shoulder, "Stop right there, boy. Where do you think you're going?"

"That's my friend Klaus in the tent. He's been arrested and he's innocent! Let me past, please!"

Max tries to get past the guardsman, who backhands him across the face. Max staggers backwards. At this point, Heinrich arrives. Julian is advancing on the tent at a fast walk, but won't reach it for a few more moments.


[Fandir]

A look of disgust comes onto the captain's face as Klaus begs him for mercy. "Secret doors and new tiles are not evidence of demon summoning. I investigated your story because something about it seemed believable. I see that I have made a fool of myself. I am not interested in hearing any more stories, either from you or your friends. I told you what would happen if you lied to me."

He looks at Walter and Ulrich. "Take him outside and flog him." He returns to his work.

"Yes sir," the guards say, and drag Klaus out of the tent.

Outside, Klaus sees Heinrich and Max, their way blocked by guards. "Klaus!" Max shouts.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 02:01:34 PM
[commandant]

Gotthold looks at Mortus thoughtfully, weighing  up whether or not he believes her.

[Fel test = 16 = pass! Would you believe it!]

And thinks: she's just a young woman, isn't she! Rather a charming and innocent one too - how could she possibly be a spy?

"I'm sorry, miss, but your story seemed suspicious to my boss. He's getting to be cynical in his old age, I think. It wouldn't have been the first time a spy or a thief tried to infiltrate the guild, you know - this is a rough business. Especially in this town. I hope you won't think too badly of us. After all, you can be sure we'll protect your interests too, if you decide to deal with us.

"Let's sort out which bottles you want to buy. Then we can finish your tour, if you like? I can show you the other warehouses - I promise not to threaten you!" He laughs.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 02:08:17 PM
“Stop” Julian shouts, one last desperate attempt to stop Klaus being flogged, as he reaches the tent.

“I have an offer for the captain… I will pay bail for this man…”
“If I can speak to captain I can explain my offer more thoroughly.”

Julian does his best to look respectable (which is why he didn’t run to the tent)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 02:46:30 PM
One of the guards holding Klaus turns to look at Julian. "The captain said this one's to be flogged, and that what's going to happen. I'm not going to disobey the captain for you, dwarf."

Max, his face already swelling up from the blow the other guard gave him, says, "Flogged! But that's not fair! Let me speak to the captain! Or... or... flog me instead! Let Klaus go - he's a good man!"

Max again tries to push past the guards, and is grabbed and firmly held by one of them. Another guard slaps Max across the face again.

At this point, the captain, Sir Martin, emerges from the tent, his face stern and merciless. "What is going on out here? I ordered that man flogged - get on with it."

Walter and Ulrich make Klaus remove his jacket and shirt, and chain him securely to the wooden fence around the jousting area. Ulrich goes off to find a whip.

The captain turns his attention to Julian, Heinrich and Max. "You're the friends he mentioned, presumably. Well, why should I listen to you?"

"Please sir," Max says hysterically, "please let him go! He saved my life in the sewers! Flog me instead of him!"

"Be quiet, boy, or I'll do just that. Well, dwarf?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 03:16:01 PM
I give you all assurances that this man is telling the truth. I swear it on my beard and on my Father’s beard.
Me, Klaus, our bounty hunter friend and this young lawyer here were all in the room.
I know that the room was empty and we have no evidence, but our presence in the room must have been noticed- I opened the door myself, so it is logical that whoever was using the room would cover their tracks instead of being found out. The room being empty makes me convinced Bogenhafen is in more danger than ever.
To vouch for our trustworthiness I want to point out we have already completed several tasks for the town- I undertook some engineering work while Heinrich here completed a bounty. And together we tracked down the goblin which escaped from the freak show.

I want to pay a bail of 20 crowns to take Klaus from your custody. We will then continue our investigations. If nothing is to come of it, then you are 20 crowns better off. If we are proved correct, the 20 crowns will be returned to me.

But I assure you there is something wrong in Bogenhafen. Think of the honour which you could claim if you were to help us defeat a great evil.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 04:27:21 PM
Klaus has given in .....he knows justice like that. The noble knight wonīt budge on his verdict and the only thing the others might achieve is getting themselves also flogged. He waits for the response of Sir Martin...but already knows what will happen....he has seen it several times. Even if he believes Julian, he will do it....because he had said so. Those nobles never could back down from anything they said....they called it honor....he called it stupidity. Talking of which.....this heroism business was a bad idea from the start.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 04:57:28 PM
"I don't want your money, dwarf," Sir Martin says, "the man has more than earned his punishment. He is a rogue and a liar and has doubtless done plenty to deserve it in the past. It does trouble me to hear you swear an oath on his behalf though... perhaps there is something in what you say. I will make further inquiries. If you do find any real evidence, then I expect you to bring it to me."

The captain turns to Ulrich, who has returned with a whip (and removed his armour and shirt, ready to go to work). "Begin," he says.

"No!" Max shouts. "You spineless stinking coward!"

The captain looks at Max, still held by the guards, and shakes his head. "You should choose your friends more carefully, boy. You also need to learn some respect. Give the boy a dozen lashes once Ulrich is finished with his friend. Go easy on him though - he's a skinny little runt."

With that, the captain goes back into his tent. Max doesn't seem to have heard what he said - he's still trying to struggle free of the guards, to no avail.

Ulrich spits on the ground, judges his distance, and then swings the whip. It slams into Klaus's back, drawing a line of agony from one side to the other. Again and again the whip rises and falls. It goes on for what seems like forever.

[Klaus takes 3d3 wounds = 6 wounds! Luck use to reduce one dice roll by one  = 5 wounds. Klaus is heavily wounded, and has one wound remaining]

[Cl test to avoid insanity point from torture = 91. Klaus gains an insanity point]

Eventually, it does end. Walter unchains Klaus and lets him go free. He staggers away and falls over.

The guards bring Max up next, while Ulrich wrings the blood out of the whip. Max is stripped to the waist and chained to the fence. Ulrich sighs when he sees Max's skinny back, but brings the whip down anyway. Max cries out in pain.

[Max takes d3 wounds = 2. -1 critical hit to the body! % roll = 02 = winded. Max is heavily wounded, and gets an insanity point from the critical hit.]

[Cl test to avoid insanity point from torture = 71. Max gains a second insanity point!]

Max has passed out before the twelfth blow falls. When he's unchained, he slumps immobile against the fence.

"By Sigmar, I need a drink now!" Ulrich says, sweating visibly, "that was heavy work!"

The guards allow Julian and Heinrich through. "Go and see to your friends," one of them says, almost pityingly.


[Oh dear. I feel like a sadist now.  :icon_sad: ]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 05:25:15 PM
Julian goes to Max and Klaus. Klaus is groaning quietly on the floor. "I'm sorry, I tried" Julian says as he gives him a sip from his hip flask to revive him and asks "can you remember where that healer was?" knowing that Max and Klaus both need to be tended to.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 15, 2012, 05:57:19 PM
Mortus smiles and her eyes soften again.

"I understand completely," she says.   "I know how much the merchants trade depends on secrets being kept.   Isn't that why I am here alone after all."   She offers Gotthold her arm.   "I would be proud to see the rest of the tour and I must admit that your loyalty to your master does you great credit."   After a few minutes she smiles again.   "Though this town does seem very close lipped and worried about leaking secrets, even more so than normal.   It is not strange for somebody to try and figure out my motives when I first arrive but this is the first time that something like this has happened.   Has your master more reason than normal to be worried about spies?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 15, 2012, 06:39:16 PM
Klaus is sobbing his whole body shaking and he is barely conscious, bloody froth and spittle are leaking out of his mouth it could be that he has bitten his tongue and it seems he has pissed himself because of his fear and the pain. His eyes are closed and he has his hands in front of his face before he finally passes out.

OOC: Huzzah! The Captain will listen to our advances.....I guess Klaus wonīt be too keen to be part of the mission once he awakes again. Stuipd hero stuff for stupid heroes.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 15, 2012, 08:24:41 PM
"Julian, we must take them back to the inn and have their wounds tended."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 09:45:19 PM
Max is totally unresponsive, and is bleeding badly from deep cuts in his back. He needs serious medical attention.

Julian remembers seeing a Physicians' guild marked on his town map - he checks, and sure enough it's on Nulner Weg, between Gottenplatz and the east gate. The guild will certainly be open for business at this time of day, and both Max and Klaus need treatment at once.

[If they receive medical attention from someone with the surgery skill, they will regain d3 wounds, and recover enough to be considered lightly wounded - so will continue to heal naturally over time. The pharmacist Klaus took Max to last night only had the heal wounds skill, which is less effective. Max's condition is unstable - he could die, if not treated soon.]

"That was a bad business," someone says, "the captain's got a mean streak a mile wide. Listen, I'm off duty anyhow - supposed to be watching the joust, but I've lost my stomach for it after seeing your friends get beat. Let me help you carry them. My name's Ludwig, of the baron's guard. It's the least I can do. I figure the boy don't weigh much, but the other man might take some shifting."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 15, 2012, 10:00:27 PM
With Heinrich and Ludwig's help, Julian manages to carry Klaus and Max to the physician's guild, and knocks on the door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 10:39:50 PM
People stare at the sight of two bleeding men being carried through the streets, but stand aside to let the group through. Before too long they arrive at the physicians' guild, a large and elegant building with columned frontage in the classical Reman style. Julian knocks on the door. It's opened by a servant, who looks at Julian and decides he must have money.

"Come in, sirs, I will fetch a physician at once." He leaves them in the entrance hall, and disappears off into the building. Shortly after, he returns with a short, fat man wearing expensive clothes. "Good afternoon, gentlemen, I am Doktor Kohler. My my, these two have been in the wars! Well, no matter, no matter. Bring them, do! We'll go to my room."

He leads the group to a well-lit study, where he directs that Klaus and Max are laid on padded tables. "Face down, if you could! Ah, yes. Whipped, I see. Very bad, very bad. Criminals, perhaps, undesirables? Not important! Not my business! My business is healing! Pure science! Higher calling!"

"The boy's the worst, Doktor," Ludwig says.

"Indeed, indeed. I shall require assistance. Karl -," he says to the servant who answered the door, "-here is an alcohol mixture to cleans the wounds. Apply it to the other man's back. I shall attend to the boy."

Klaus wakes up when the potion is applied to his wounds - it stings like hell itself!

"Aha! Pain is a good sign - a sign of health. This poor boy, on the other hand... quite insensible. Deep cuts. Stitches, I think! My stitching is very fine, very fine. No seamstress could better it!"

The doktor stitches the worst cuts on Max's back. Then, with the servant's help, he applies various salves and preparations to Max and Klaus's injuries. He then bandages them. "Wait! Hold your horses, and your dogs! What's this on the boy's chest? Ezartus's Oil, mixed with elemental drasalock? Treatement, unless my nose betrays me and my mind is in league with it, for a corrosive burn to the skin? And so recent! What horrors has this boy faced! Are any of you gentlemen his father? You should take better care of him. I advise it most strongly!"

"Father.." Max murmurs, "I'm sorry father. I'll do better next time. Please don't hit me again."

"He speaks! I have worked my miracle! Drink this dear boy... and you, brave sir... good. That will clear you of pain. Somewhat! All is done! Go, and stay clear of the path of wrongdoing in the future! Or, at least, remember where you may find me! Ha ha!"

[Klaus regains d3 wounds = 2 Luck use +1 regains 3 wounds! And is now lightly wounded - will regain further wounds naturally over time.]

[Max regains d3 wounds = 2, and is also lightly wounded (again)]

"I fear I must now cause you further pain, gentlemen. But to your purses! I must eat, like all men, and must drink, and buy fine clothes! Therefore I beg your indulgence. 4 crowns for my work on the man, and 5 for my attentions to the boy. Nine in all! Very cheap, very cheap. If you would!" He holds out his hand to Julian - having decided he looks the most likely to pay.


Max and Klaus are now able to walk, and otherwise act relatively normally. Ludwig says, "Well, I'm glad I could help you, but I'll be going now. I'm off to the Crossed Pikes for a drink. Sigmar watch over you!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 15, 2012, 11:48:49 PM
[Commandant]

Gotthold shows Mortus around the other warehouses, explaining all the different goods that are to be found in each one. He also answers her questions, "Well miss, there are always people from Marienburg trying to get inside our operation, so they can find out who we're dealing with and undercut us. The Haagen family are in on all that - they're Wastelanders, and they handle most of the river trade from Marienburg. Then there's the Ruggbroder family - they used to be the big men on the Bretonnian market, but the Teugens have been pushing them out the last two years, and they don't like it at all. They're mostly after the Teugens, but since the Steinhagers work so closely with the Teugens they sometimes target us too. We've had a few fires, and sometimes our guards get bribed or poisoned, and then the warehouse gets cleaned out.

"Not to mention there's someone else who's stealing from everyone. Goods just go missing, and no one has any idea what happens to them. People say there's a thieves' guild in town, and if there is you can bet they'd be sending people in to check out what's on offer. People like you, or so we thought, Miss Mortus."

"This is warehouse four. Sorry about the mess - there was some fuss last night about an animal breaking in, and getting crushed when it knocked some crates over. Some sort of big fox, I think. We've not cleaned it up yet because some magistrate wants to take a look. He's coming later, once he's finished his day at the court, I'm told."

Mortus looks around warehouse four for evidence, while trying not to alert Gotthold that she has any special interest. There are a number of splintered crates that look to have fallen from the top of a stack. There's blood on the crates and on the floor under them - reddish-brown in colour. Interestingly, the crates all seem to have been empty.

Gotthold shows Mortus around the remaining warehouses. At the end of the tour he says, "Don't let this go any further, Miss Mortus, but there's a reason the boss is extra careful with security right now. There's a big deal about to go down in the next couple of days. If it works out, Bogenhafen is going to be the richest place in the whole Empire, and maybe the world. Marienburg and Altdorf won't get a look in. The Steinhagers and the Teugens are going to be at the center of it all. You've picked the right people to deal with!"

He sells Mortus the wine she selected [however many bottles it was - decide how much you want to pay], and bids her good afternoon. Before she leaves, he gives her a piece of parchment with his address on. "In case you want anything else, miss. Help, advice, anything at all."

It's now late afternoon/early evening.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 16, 2012, 01:29:57 AM
"Let's get you fellows into a bed. Julian and I will find out what's going on. We need to find Mortus and see if she has learde anything."

Heinrich and Julian will take Klaus and Max back to the inn, with an admonishment to Klaus to rest and keep the boy out of trouble, "He only got lashed out of his loyalty to you." Heinrich adds rather harshly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 16, 2012, 08:10:35 AM
Mortus will go back to the Inn.   Her eyes will widen when she sees Klaus and Max.   She will sit on her bed and stash the wine bottles away and wait for the others.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 16, 2012, 08:21:14 AM
Julian pays the doctor, he doesn't begrudge doing so, but doesn't want to be left out of pocket.
He also gives Ludwig a few shillings (is 3 enough for a few pints? )

'Heinrich, I think we should go and see if we can figure out which building was above the demon room'
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 16, 2012, 08:31:12 AM
Max is weak and confused after his ordeal. When he's brought back to the inn, he realises Julian paid for his treatment and looks in his money pouch. When he can only find 4 crowns in there (all he has left) he offers them to Julian, "I'll pay you the rest when I can, sir. I spent too much money at the fair... oh Klaus, I'm so sorry you were hurt. It's all my fault!" He breaks down and starts to cry.


(is 3 enough for a few pints? )

Yes. It's enough for 4 pints, actually!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 16, 2012, 08:52:01 AM
Mortus arrives back at the inn shortly before the others. She's shocked when Julian and Heinrich bring the injured Max and Klaus in, and asks what happened.

Once Max and Klaus have been put to bed, Julian suggest he, Heinrich and Mortus go look for the building above the demon room.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 16, 2012, 09:19:06 AM
Julian knows that the building is on Kaufman Strasse, close to the end of the paved section. Along with Mortus and Heinrich, he sets off to locate it.

Thanks to his excellent map skills, Julian easily identifies the building, which is an imposing single-story place with a sign showing a barrel with a sigil on it. Mortus recognises this badge as the emblem of the Steinhager family. It looks like an office building. It's a detached building with two doors (one at the front and another at the back). There are two small groups of trees and bushes close by, one within sight of each door.

It's still daylight, and the office is open for business.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 16, 2012, 09:24:28 AM
"What in the name of all things holy happened to them," Mortus demands.   For a few seconds her own ordeal is blown from her mind.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 16, 2012, 07:01:55 PM
"Mortus, didnt you say you had dealings with the Steinhager's? I guess someone should go into the office. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 16, 2012, 07:59:58 PM
"I will go there, though not alone.   I have some dealings with the family.   I am posing as an advance buying in foreign wine.   I have made some purchases so they will not be expecting me again so soon.   However I could claim that I have received a letter from the north to look for a greater scope of new wines, that Lord Olgoleor is planning a large party for early in the new year and wants a complete restock of his seller.   I will need a greaters supply of hard money as well as respectable letter of credit which I can write myself," Mortus says.   She quickly explains her dealings with the family, glossing swiftly over the actions of Gotthold, and finishing with.   "Also whatever was killed in that warehouse it wasn't killed by falling crates and it wasn't a goblin.   All the boxes were empty and the blood was the wrong colour.   Still while they were really worried about merchant spying they didn't seem to make any effort to hide the blood in the warehouse."  She pauses, she seems shaken by reviewing her morning.   She stands shaking for a few seconds and then stops with a visible effort and turns back to the other two..   "You still haven't told me what happened to Klaus and Max.   Well I can see what happened but why?"   Her voice becomes slightly sharper as she speaks
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 16, 2012, 10:03:34 PM
"Klaus, while I was shopping for equipment, decided to be a bit heroic..." Julian lowers his voice, careful not to be heard.
"He got it into his head that the Baron would be not involved in what we are dealing with, and powerful to sort it. So he went and convinced one of his Captains about the... problem we encountered in the sewers, and led some of his men to it. on arrival he discovered that all the evidence had been covered up, so he was lashed for lying to the captain. Max tried to stop the punishment so was lashed as well."


"I'll go inside with you Mortus, but I think you should do the talking. I can look respectable though. Is there no other pretext we could think up that meant we didnt need money? Perhaps we could ask someone what this building is."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 16, 2012, 11:39:11 PM
"He did what?" Mortus asked, shock clear in her voice.   She shakes her head slowly from side to side.   "The poor fellow."

In order to get her mind off Klaus Mortus thinks about the office.   She feels the letter in her belt pouch.

"Gotthold gave me a letter in case I needed anything in the further," she said.   "We could go to the office to see if he is there.   I don't expect that he would be but it would give us a reason to be there.   I would just need a reason to need to talk to him."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 17, 2012, 03:52:34 AM
Heinrich speaks up, "I think we should wait until dark. Julian and I can break in and find all the evidence we need."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 17, 2012, 08:54:59 AM
[back at the inn]

"Klaus?" Max says, his voice sounding very small, "how do you feel? I'm so sorry about what happened. The captain wouldn't listen to me... if only I'd told him who I was, instead of insulting him! He might have listened then. It's all my fault, what they did to you. Can you forgive me, Klaus?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 17, 2012, 09:02:16 AM
Klaus opens his eyes.....still lying in the tavern bed he smells the fresh linen of the pillow his face has rested in for hours. His senses are still numbed by the potion the physician gave him but he still can feel the burn on his back...and the rage in his gut. Why.......why did he even go to that captain. It was completely not like him, Klaus would have kept his profile low, tricked some of the guests of the town out of their money and moved on. Why in the chaos wastes (I am not sure there is a concept of hell and heaven in the Warhammer World) did he stick around and spent most of his time and energy on finding out about those demon worshippers.......then it dawned on him as he turned his head and saw Max on the other bed.


It was all the fault of that fucking idiot. His hero worshipping made Klaus think he WAS a hero. Only because of that fool did he go to the captain, this naive little puppy lulled him into forgetting everything he learned about the world.....in the end the bad guys win. Always!

"It is all your fault.....you fool. Because of your idiocy I forgot for a moment what cold and harsh place the world out there is. Are you awake....can you even hear me? Well I donīt care anyway (Klaus is still groggy from the drugs and the pain so he didnīt hear Max and just goes on with his rant)....as I will be out of here in no time. As soon as I am able to walk I will get my stuff...and yours and will leave this hellhole as I can feel that there is something bad about to happen. You guys are bad for my health, and I havenīt survived for so long to die in a stinkhole like this. I wanted to strip you off everything and you didnīt even realize that I was exploiting you but your sickness of being an idiot is contagious and I wont let that happen. I wonīt be like you, I am something now and I was nothing, you could be something but you choose to be nothing. Instead of just doing what you want you try to impress everyone and by doing so lose the respect even of the lowest gutter rat there is. You lick my boots even though from birth the best I could ever hope to be would be the pisspage of one as you. I made it. I am something and you idiots wonīt take that away from me. I am better than you failures."

While holding his monolouge Klaus tries to get out of bed and also tries to get his clothes on.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 17, 2012, 09:16:09 AM
Klaus tries to put his shirt on, but it's no good - his back hurts far too much, despite the medicine he was given. Max gets out of bed, tears running down his face, and tries to put his hand on Klaus's shoulder.

"Klaus, please, don't leave! You need to rest - you took three dozen lashes! I felt every one as I watched, because I knew it was all my fault. You're right to blame me, because I should have been able to talk them out of whipping you. Or I should have warned you not to try to talk to the baron in the first place. I was glad they whipped me too, because I deserved it. Father used to beat me all the time, but it was for my own good, to teach me respect, make me strong.

"Please don't leave! Or at least, let me come with you! You saved my life, and I've done nothing but fail you in return."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 17, 2012, 09:31:23 AM
Klaus slaps Max`s hand away and sits back down on the bad his face a grimace as he winces because of the pain.

"Yes everything is your fault, that Sigmar died....your fault. The coming of winter.....yep you did that. Pimples on my arse....definately your fault. If I could move I would beat your face to bloody pulp and take a piss on it afterwards and you would thank me for it. You donīt know shit about the world. People like Sir Martin always flogg people like me, that is how the world works. Your father is an asshole and he beats you not to make you strong but to vent his frustration that you are not Sigmar reborn but just you, and most likely because he is a sadist and enjoys beating weaker ones as himself, I wouldnīt wonder if he also has a whipping boy and bites and claws the prostitutes he fucks. And I havenīt saved your life you little dipshit. I just didnīt want to be alone in those sewers, it was I that killed Boris, I shoved him towards that beast and he only tripped and fell into it because of me, and I would have done the same to you to safe my skin. As long as you continue to live in your dreamworld people will exploit you and treat you like the do.....yes it is YOUR fault that they treat you like shit, because you choose to be treated that way with every fucking word that comes out of your mouth. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 17, 2012, 09:59:00 AM
Max looks horrified. He sits down on his bed and stares at the floor. Then he says, "I... I don't believe you. You're only saying these things because you're angry and hurt. You can't have killed Boris.... you can't have! And you don't mean all those other terrible things... you can't mean them. It's not true. You don't hate me. Father doesn't hate me."

He sits there, in silence. He doesn't look at Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 17, 2012, 11:13:30 AM
Julian decides now is a good time for a smoke. He carefully packs the tobacco into the poor,  a ritual which clears his mind,  then lights the pipe and starts to pensively draw the smoke into his mouth.

He closes his eyes on contemplation for a moment, then says I think me and mortus should go in now. And then you and I should break in tonight.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 17, 2012, 11:21:03 AM
Mortus steps back from Julian, away from the thick smoke that is billowing from him.   She shrugs.

"I have an idea," she says.   "It might be slightly expensive but it would give us a reason to be in the office.   I think we could go in and ask for Gotthold and Pietr who is the factor.   I could say that it is a tradition in my family once a deal has been reached to go to invite them to dinner.   The only problem with the plan is we would need to be able to provide a dinner in a private room of a reasonably expensive inn.   It is just an idea though.   Going to the office is fine, they will not be that surprised to see me but I need a reason."   She pauses and shrugs again.   "Though I think breaking in is a terrible idea.   The family has a big deal going down in the next few days.   They are very very very jumpy.   I'm not sure if trying to break into their offices isn't a sure fire way to end up like Klaus or worse.   We need to decide what we want to know because it is even worse if we head in with no idea."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 17, 2012, 09:43:15 PM
"I'm not paying for everyone to have dinner! I already paid for the treatment of Max and Klaus."

Julian has made up his mind, and walks into the office. He will ask for a meeting to offer his services as an engineering consultant, claiming that he can secure stores from rats and damp and has stopped the spoiling of goods all across the empire.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 17, 2012, 10:18:04 PM
Julian knocks on the front door, which is opened a moment later by an old man. He looks at Julian, and then says, "this is the Steinhager head office. What is your business here, sir?" A dog can be heard barking close by. "Be quiet, Fang!" the man shouts.

Julian explains that he is a guild engineer, and is offering his services protecting storerooms from damp.

"Well, I'll ask Mr. Steinhager if he's interested. I'll show you to a waiting room. This way, sir."

The front door opens onto a large, pleasant courtyard with an ornamental pond at the centre and doors on all sides. Julian counts eight doors in all. The doorkeeper leads him to a door in the corner to his right. It's a richly furnished room, and there's a decanter of brandy set out on the table. "Take a seat sir, I won't be long."

Julian is kept waiting for about ten minutes before the doorman returns. "Mr. Steinhager will see you now. This way please."

They return to the courtyard, and this time go through the first door to the left of the main entrance. The doorkeeper bows, and departs.

Julian is in another well-furnished room. It's paneled with dark wood, and has a huge and ornate desk in the middle. There's another door on one of the walls, next to a large painting of the town. "The desk is Cathayan wood," says the man seated behind it, "it cost a fortune to have it brought here! Well worth it though. I'm Franz Steinhager, the head of the Steinhager trading family. I'm told you can help keep the damp out of our warehouses? I've heard that one before, and we still have problems. I've never hired a dwarf before though. Perhaps that's where I've been going wrong."

Franz Steinhager is a grey-haired, rather fat man in his mid forties. He stands up, walks over to Julian, and shakes his hand. "Sit down, please."

He gestures towards a well-padded chair on one side of the desk, and then returns to his own on the other. As he sits down, Julian notices something among the papers piled on the desk - a letter written on parchment that has the words 'Ordo Septenarius' printed across the bottom.

Being careful not to let Steinhager see him, Julian tries to read the visible portion of the letter (the very end of the letter).

[Observe test, against I of 26, dice roll = 25!]

Julian is able to read the following:

...Schaffenfests ends, with the sound of the twelfth bell, our plan will come into fruition.
 J. T.


As Steinhager sits down, Julian looks away from the letter, hoping he hasn't been noticed. He hasn't.

"Now," Steinhager says, "tell me about your proposal. If I am interested I may wish you to inspect the warehouses and provide me with a quotation."

He listens attentively.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 18, 2012, 01:34:16 AM
Heinrich will case the exterior, surreptitiously looking for the best place to break in unnoticed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 18, 2012, 01:44:41 AM
Mortus will go with Heinrich
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 08:22:39 AM
Klaus closes his eyes again and waits several minutes and takes a deep breath before he starts again most of his anger already gone

"I donīt hate you Max, but you really should get your head out of your arse. If you want to do your hero worshipping stuff do it with someone like Heinrich or Julian but I promise you it will get you killed at some point. You are a brave and loyal person and think everyone else is like that too....they arenīt. Just look at what is happening now, as it seems we have some rich and powerful men, people who never starved in their life, who never freezed during a cold winter, who most likely have a wife and children turn to the dark powers to increase their wealth and power. There is a hole in the heart of man, a hole that no possession, power, or knowledge could fill. And in his infinite greed, we dream of expanding our dominion over everything. Even people we like. It is always the strong that prey upon the weak and fill their personal hole with what they can take away from them. Take Heinrich, he is a just person but he lives on catching or killing people who broke the law. It doesnīt matter what caused them to break the law, what road they had travelled to end in his manacles.....I donīt even know why I tell you all of this. I need a drink....and a woman as soon as I am healed and then I will leave you fools"



Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 08:54:27 AM
Max looks up at Klaus. His bruised, tear-streaked face looks sad but hopeful. Just hearing the words I don't hate you has pulled him back from the edge of despair.

"I... I knew you didn't mean those things, Klaus. You just want to teach me about life, to help me... That's what father tried to do for me, but I never learned, and he sent me away. Oh Klaus, is the world really such a terrible place? I know there are bad people, but there are so many good ones too... like you. You are a good and noble man, Klaus, no matter what you think about yourself. I know it's true. You really did save me in the sewers, because you could have left me there to die and you didn't. And you tried to warn the authorities about the danger to the town, even though you knew they probably wouldn't believe you.

"Please stay with us. We can still stop the demon summoners... I know we can. You know it too, deep down."

He smiles weakly at Klaus. His belief in him seems amazingly resilient.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 09:28:17 AM
Klaus expression is changing back to angry or annoyed, hard to tell.

"You really donīt listen...do you? I went to the Captain of the guard to get a reward and also took you along because it was obvious that you had money. But as talking to you is like talking to a solid piece of rock, why donīt you bugger yourself and leave me alone."

Klaus flexes his fingers something he often does when he is brooding over something.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 09:34:25 AM
Heinrich and Mortus carefully circle the building. There are two doors on opposite sides of the building, the main one being on Kaufmannstrasse. It's a single story building, and looks to be built around a large courtyard. There are windows all around the building, fitted with heavy shutters which are currently open. While the main door opens onto a busy street, the other sides of the building are on minor streets or alleys.

As they wait for Julian, it is starting to get dark. An old man with a bunch of keys emerges from the front door and goes around closing all the window shutters. Two armed and armoured men (presumably bodyguards) call at the rear door, and leave shortly after with a well-dressed but otherwise non-descript man. Three other men and a woman also leave. The man with the keys finishes shuttering the windows and goes inside.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 09:45:12 AM
"Yes Klaus," Max says. He suddenly seems to realise he's been sleeping on a proper bed, which belongs to someone else. So he gets up and lies down on the straw - carefully, and on his side. He closes his eyes and tries to sleep. Once he does fall asleep, he mutters to himself indistinctly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 10:07:33 AM
Klaus will shake his head at the self humiliation Max displays again and while he gets up and gets his pants on and into his boots he tells him

"Get back into the bed you fool and stay there until Heinrich comes and takes care of you."

Klaus will go downstairs and there try to find the Halfling owning the tavern or someone else to talk to , he wants to chat a bit about the town of Bogenhafen and if he knows any gossip about the important people, if the tavern wench is around Klaus would prefer talking to her first. He also orders himself some strong beer and some warm food.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 18, 2012, 10:24:44 AM
Heinrich will look to see if there is any way to climb the building to get at the courtyard, and also inspect the shutters to see if any of them are more loosely secured than the others. He will stay in the shadows as much as possible.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 10:38:37 AM
Heinrich thinks he could climb the side of the building without too much difficulty, since there are plenty of handholds and it's only one story. He could use his rope to help get down into the courtyard, if he wanted.

[easy climb, and Heinrich's ambidextrous skill will help here. 70% chance to climb up without incident (standard 'risk' test +10% for ease and +10% for skill). Same chance to climb down, or automatic if a rope is used.]

The shutters all look solid and well secured. Heinrich casually walks close to one and brushes against it as he passes. The shutter feels as though it has been barred from the other side.  Opening it would be possible with the right tools, but would take some time and might be noisy.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 11:22:02 AM
Max is asleep and hasn't heard Klaus. Fine, let him sleep on the floor then!, Klaus thinks.

Klaus goes downstairs and into the bar. There are a few other patrons seated at the tables in small groups, and one lone woman wearing a mail shirt (she has a sword at her side also). A few people look up as Klaus enters, but look away again without much interest. Klaus can feel the woman's eyes on his bare chest as he passes... and he thinks he sees her frown when she catches sight of the marks on his back.

The halfling innkeeper and a barmaid (also a halfling) are behind the low bar. "Good evening sir," the innkeeper says, "I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I do hope you're feeling better - what you need is a drink, and a good meal! How about a pint of Angry Weasel - it's a nice, dark beer that's guaranteed to take your mind off any pain you might be in." He nods to the barmaid, who draws off a tankard of beer from a nearby cask and sets it on the bar in front of Klaus. "What will you have to eat, sir? Mutton stew? Beef pie?"

Klaus glances behind him, and catches the woman looking at him again. She looks away.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 11:39:09 AM
"Well thanks, I would like to go with an Angry Weasel and some Beefpie (as pie is what one should eat) would youplease pour another one for the lady over there might I know who told you of my mishap?"

Klaus also tries to judge how busy the innkeeper and his barmaid are right now, if they are able to gossip a bit or if they are too busy right now.

While inquring about who told him Klaus will toast towards the lady should the beer arrive at her table. He will then either ignore her again for a while and speak to the innkeep if he has the time asking him other questions for how long he has lived in Bogenhafen and what the times are like right now for him or if he is busy will sit down on his own carefully not to touch anything with his back and eating his beefpie watching the armed woman.


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 11:54:56 AM
The bar is quiet, so the innkeeper and barmaid aren't too busy to talk. Being friendly halflings, they'd enjoy a chat!

"No one told me what happened to you sir - but of course I saw you and the young gentleman being helped in by your friends, and I could see you'd both been hurt somehow. It's none of my business, so please don't think I'm prying!" the innkeeper tactfully avoids implying that Klaus has received any sort of judicial punishment. "Lucy, take another pint of weasel over to the lady there, and then go to the kitchen and fetch a beef pie for the gentleman: a large pie, Lucy!"

The woman looks confused when the beer is brought to her table, and questions the barmaid. She then looks at Klaus, with a surprised expression on her face. She raises her tankard to him, and drinks.

The innkeeper is happy to talk about his business. He tells Klaus that he's lived here for five years now, and has managed to run the inn at a fair profit. He says that the area is a little rough, but most of his customers are good people and he rarely has much trouble. He does tell Klaus to stay away from the other side of the river though. The part of town on that side is locally called 'the pit,' and is rife with crime and poverty. The richer parts of town have been improved a lot in the last two years though, as trade has increased and brought in more money.

Lucy, the barmaid, soon returns with a hot pie. "Here you go sir," she says, smiling, "that will put hair on your feet!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 12:00:35 PM
"And I always wanted some hair at them to keep them warm during the winter." He smiles at the barmaid and continues to talk with the innkeeper. "So the increase in trade, I heard some stories that the Teugen family was increasing their influence over the last months in the city, how are they regarded in the city? I know you are a very trustworthy man and wonīt pry or tell rumours, but that woman over there was eyeing me since I came down here and as I am a very shy person I would like to know a bit about people before I approach them, could you tell me what you know about her. When she came here and if she asked any questions."

Klaus while looking at her tried to find out if she ....like Heinrich....has any manacles with her suspecting her of being a bounty hunter.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 18, 2012, 12:17:54 PM
Julian is shocked by the extract of the letter. He was sure that Teugen was implicated in the demon worshipping, JT on the letter all but confirms this, but did not suspect both clans. He now wonders if all clans are involved.. order of seven?

Julian does his best to cover this shock and jokes with Steinhager "Of course it was because you never hired a dwarf, for starters we can see properly in the dark of the warehouses, and if we swear something, you know it to be true"

Julian details what he can do to sort the damp, and tells Steinhager of his consultation fee, chancing his arm because he knows he is rich.
"A consultation of the warehouses will cost 30 crowns, and then depending on the extent of your problem I can give you an estimate for the work you will need to carry out"


during the whole meeting, Julian is also being extremely attentive towards the security arrangements and how they might break in. And whether there are guards around.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 12:28:41 PM
[Fandir]

The barmaid laughs warmly at Klaus's remark, then goes behind the bar to clean some tankards.

"That's right sir, it's two years since Johannes Teugen took over the family business," the innkeeper says, "his brother died suddenly. The Teugens had been losing business for a long time before that, but Johannes turned their fortunes around. He had a lot of contacts in Nuln, you see, and he's got the trade with Averland and Stirland firmly in his grip. He's made a lot of deals with the Bretonnians though the Axebite Pass too, which used to be the Ruggbroders' main thing.

"Some people don't like the Teugens, sure enough - but it's mainly their competitors like the Ruggbroders. A lot of people appreciate everything Johannes Teugen has done to bring more money into Bogenhafen. He's helped my business and no mistake."

When Klaus asks about the woman, he glances over at her, and then whispers to Klaus, "I don't like to gossip about my customers, as I'm sure you'll understand. But I don't see any harm in it... I think she's a bodyguard for the Ruggbroders. She comes in for a meal every so often. She hasn't asked about you, sir... but she has been looking at you. Perhaps she's interested, if you know what I mean?" He winks at Klaus.

The woman doesn't have any manacles, as far as Klaus can see. She isn't carrying a bow or crossbow either.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 12:41:00 PM
"I get your meaning but.....I am not sure, well anyway I am in no state to get romantically involved...but lets see if she is content talking with me." Klaus winks at the barkeep and walks over to the woman. Walking over to the table to find out more about the Ruggbroders and maybe the other merchatns Klaus thinks for a moment what he is doing.....but he convinces himself that he is just bored and wants to get his mind off the burning on his back. "Greetings to you dear lady is it possible that I could share another drink with you instead of sitting on my own or would I intrude on your privacy? I am new to this town and I would be glad for some company." He explains with a wide smile.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 01:37:38 PM
[Finlay]

Steinhager smiles at Julian's joke, but looks uncertain when he tells him he wants 30 crowns to make an inspection. "Well, I appreciate that I would be paying for your skill and experience, and I don't doubt that both are considerable... but I feel it would be irresponsible of me to pay more than 25 crowns for a simple inspection. I will however pay 10 in advance, as a show of good faith. " he counts ten crowns out of his money pouch, and hands them to Julian. "The remaining 15 to be paid on delivery of your report. If you would call at the offices tomorrow morning, I will have someone show you around the warehouses - there are seven in all."

At this point, the other door in the room opens, and a much younger man in extremely fashionable clothing enters the room. Two armed bodyguards can be seen waiting by the doorway.

"Father," the young man says, "really, it's well past closing time! I thought we were going to the Golden Trout for dinner? And here I find you still at work."

"It's not polite to interrupt a business meeting, Albrecht," Franz says, "but, I think we were finished anyway?" He looks at Julian, who nods. "Gerhard!" he shouts, and the doorkeeper enters the room by the courtyard door. "Please show Mr. StoneBridge out. He'll be back in the morning - show him to the reception room when he arrives. I shall be leaving with my son in a few moments, so you may lock up then. Good night. Good night, Mr. Stonebridge."

The doorkeeper shows Julian out. Julian sees that the dog he heard earlier is now loose in the courtyard. It's a large, black animal that looks very fearsome. It growls at Julian, but the doorman tells it to be quiet. The building looks deserted apart from the doorman, the dog, the two Steinhagers and their bodyguards. Julian leaves and rejoins Heinrich and Mortus outside. Not long after, they all see the Steinhagers and their guards leave by the front door and head off towards the centre of town.

It's fairly dark now, but it will be a while before full night.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 01:51:40 PM
[Fandir]

"No harm in talking, sir!" the innkeeper says.

Klaus walks over to the woman's table. She watches him approach, and while she doesn't smile she doesn't look unfriendly either. When Klaus asks if he can sit down, she nods casually, as if she's not bothered either way.

[Hmmm, let's have a Fel test... dice roll = 44! Pass]

"I'm Greta," she says, "who are you then?" She smiles, and indicates his chest, "you look like you need more exercise. I could give you a few tips."

Klaus can now see that she's wearing a pendant with a symbol of a gauntlet clutching an ear of corn - he's seen the sign about the town, but he doesn't know for sure what it means. He guesses it's the Ruggbroder badge, unless the innkeeper was mistaken.

"Those are some fine stripes on your back. Who'd you annoy to win those?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
"I am Klaus." Klaus sits down and takes a sip of his beer "some knight at the tourney grounds, he called me a liar and thought it proper treatment I think he just had a bad day as he lost most of his jousts. I am not in the martial business but I guess excercise tips never do any harm. So Greta you are a Bogenhafener? How is life around here?"

 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 02:05:32 PM
"There's more than one kind of exercise, Klaus... but maybe you aren't in any shape for that right now." she smiles again, slightly suggestively. "I wouldn't want to hurt you.

"Knights are a bad lot, generally. Lots of talk about honour and codes, but they're just the same as the rest of us. Yes, I'm a Bogenhafener. I've lived here all my life - I've been to Altdorf, and even Bretonnia, but I think this is as good a place as you'll find. The Ruggbroders are good employers. I'm off-duty tonight, but normally you'd see me escorting Heironymus Ruggbroder himself around the streets. Not bad going for a girl from The Pit!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 02:18:48 PM
"I think most nobles are even worse than the lowest so called scum there is, as they never have known any hardships. You are right about me being in no shape for.....excercise..." Klaus returns the smile "but I hope that at some point those will heal. So a girl from the pit working for one of the noble families of Bogenhafen, what is it like being a bodyguard of one of those merchants? Is Herionymus someone high in the ranks of those....what did you say Ruggbroders? As I said I donīt know myself around this town at all, could you tell me more about what is going on and where someone with a sharp mind could make any money. How about another beer for the two of us...and Greta thanks for the company I am already immensly enjoying myself."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 02:37:03 PM
Greta seems to be warming up to Klaus, as he keeps talking. She's not easily impressed, but the man does have something about him.

"I'm in no rush," she says, "come and see me some time when you're feeling better. I think it could be fun.

"Nobles are just the same as street thugs, I say -  more money and better clothes, but just as mean. This town is run by people who've made it on their own, for the most part. OK, so a lot of the merchants inherited their businesses, but they still have to fight to make a profit. You must be new in town if you don't know who Heironymous Ruggbroder is! He's the head of the Ruggbroder family, which is one of the four most important in Bogenhafen. He's got a seat on the council too. I'm proud to work for him - he's got a great mind for business, and he looks after his employees. You can't say as much about Teugen or Steinhager. Nor Haagen either.

"Listen Klaus, you've got a silver tongue and quick wits. If you're looking for work you could do worse than try the Ruggbroders. I can tell you who to see, and put a word in for you too, if you're interested."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 18, 2012, 02:44:40 PM
"Ha...only if there is no policy that forbids the people working for the Ruggbroders to flirt with each other, but hearing you praising this Mr. Ruggbroder sure sounds like someone I would like to work for. But you have raised my interest on those Teugens and Steinhagers, a quick wit often breeds a curious mind and I smell a story here, do you know something about those guys that ...."Klaus looks around to make sure nobody is overhearing them "is beyond the regular trickery merchants rely upon? You are from here, and even from the pit you said, I would bet one crown that you know about most things legal and illegal going on here lately. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 18, 2012, 03:19:14 PM
Mortus is going to go to the Crossed Pikes to see if the guard who saved her from the plague people is there.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 09:55:27 PM
Mortus arrives at the Crossed Pikes. It's packed with people, but she can't see the guard she was looking for anywhere.

Outside, the witch moon looks even larger than it did last night, and it seems to hang very low over the town.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 10:03:18 PM
Greta looks at the coin in Klaus's hand. She leans forward, and whispers, "I don't know anything for sure. But Heironymous has been very worried about something called the 'order septus'... he knows a lot of the main players in the Teugen and Steinhager families are in on it, but he doesn't know what it is. Apparently, they claim to be a private club that does secret charity work, but Heironymous thinks it's a cartel dedicated to putting him out of business. I think he'd pay well for more information. Maybe that's something you'd be interested in."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 18, 2012, 10:15:48 PM
Mortus swears to herself and walks back to the inn, her fingers tightening on her staff.   The moon is making her nervous, very nervous but she is not sure why.   She can feel the cold sweat standing out on her forehead.   
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 18, 2012, 10:27:18 PM
Mortus walks back to the Surprised Goat inn. On the way, she keeps looking up at the moon. Something about it looks different, something beyond its unusual size and proximity. At last, she realizes what it is. The signs are only faintly visible, but now that she's aware of them it's impossible not to see it - there is a face on the moon.

Mortus knows that the witch moon can be erratic in its motions and appearance, but this is something else entirely. As she passes the Temple of Sigmar the bells toll the hour ominously.

She arrives at the inn. Klaus is in the bar, talking to a woman in a mail shirt. He has obviously recovered somewhat.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 18, 2012, 10:31:29 PM
Mortus goes up to the bar.

"Hiya, Klaus," she says.   "Nice to see you are on your feet again.   Who is your friend?"

She smiles at the innkeeper.

"I'll take a brandy," she says.   "A large good brandy."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 18, 2012, 11:00:29 PM
When Julian emerges from the building, Heinrich will consult with him about breaking in and finding evidence. Heinrich is confident he can climb the building, and raise Julian with a rope.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 18, 2012, 11:37:00 PM
Julian is happy with the plan.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 12:05:31 AM
Heinrich and Julian wait until it's darker and the street behind the Steinhager office is deserted. Then, Heinrich starts to climb up the wall...

[climbing test: dice roll = 10! Easily accomplished]

...he finds it very simple, and is on the roof in no time. He lets down his rope for Julian, who ties it around his waist. Heinrich then assists Julian in climbing up to join him.

The witch moon is low in the sky, covering the roof with eerie green light. Heinrich, like Mortus, is knowledgeable about astronomy - he's disturbed by the moon's unusual behavior. But he puts it out of his mind while he has a job to do.

Julian spots the guard dog in the courtyard below, and points it out to Heinrich. It hasn't seen them yet, but will almost certainly notice anyone descending into the courtyard.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 12:09:02 AM
"Good evening, Miss Mortus," the innkeeper says, "I hope you've had a good day! I have a nice Tilean brandy you might like - imported from Commercio. Not too expensive, but better than the local stuff! Would you like something to eat as well?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 12:13:08 AM
Mortus smiles.

"Please."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 01:22:32 AM
Heinrich frowns at the necessity, but they cannot risk being noticed. He takes out his bow and shoots the poor animal.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 07:53:17 AM
OOC: Poor dog.

Klaus kisses Greta softly on her cheek when she bows close to him, with a smile but a serious urgent look in his eyes he explains to her "How about we take this conversation upstairs in more privacy?" After proclaiming this he is biting his lip as if he is deep in thought, he is torn about going after the oppurtunity to earn a fortune by blackmailing the Teugens and Steinhagers and just keeping his mouth shut, he still feels the burn on his back and dreads that even something worse could happen shouldnīt he leave the whole issue alone.

"Oh Mortus how nice to see you, this is Greta someone very nice I met in here for a drink."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 08:40:44 AM
Heinrich takes careful aim at the dog, and shoots...

[to hit roll = 99. Miss!]

...the shot goes wide and slams into one of the doors with a thud. The dog hears the sound and runs towards it, barking.

Heinrich shoots again...

[to hit roll = 11, hits (in the head). S3 +d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 5 wounds. 5 on profile, 0 left!]

...the arrow hits the animal in the head, and it collapses to the floor without a sound.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 08:49:28 AM
Greta looks at Mortus and nods, without much interest. She returns her attention to Klaus. "Go upstairs... but I thought you weren't fit enough for that." She says it with a smile, but can't miss the serious expression on Klaus's face. "You think you know something... fine, we'll go upstairs then."

[Klaus take her up to his room, leaving Mortus in the bar? ]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 08:55:38 AM
OOC: I thought about suggesting that Mortus might join but that would just seem greedy. I think Greta got the hint that we are going to talk business upstairs and not much else...if not well maybe business after but I guess Max snoring on the floor might also be a downer.

On his way up Klaus puts his hand on her hip still unsure how much he will tell Greta and how to continue, his mind racing he considers telling here pretty much the same that he told Sir Martin but isnīt too fond of that option, or just hinting that he knows something about the Teugens and Steinhagers that is worth his weight in gold (clothes included, and after a fat meal) for the Ruggbroders and enter negotiations with them about how much they would pay for such information, or telling her nothing and just kicking Max out of the room and making out with her.

Can he make an Intelligence test to check out what would be the smartest thing to do?
 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 09:03:00 AM
Can he make an Intelligence test to check out what would be the smartest thing to do?

[OK, but I won't tell you what you rolled!]

Klaus thinks Greta is a straightforward person, and so it would be best to take a direct approach: tell her he already knows something about the mysterious order, and can find out a lot more. He could then ask her to talk to Ruggbroder, and arrange a meeting with him.

Obviously, it would be dangerous if she turned out to be working for the order herself, or if Ruggbroder himself was a member. But Klaus doesn't think either of those things is too likely.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 09:06:27 AM
OOC: I like this.....will be even funnier if you ever tell us after we made all our decisions....oh by the way you rolled a 100. I thought about that too...that they are members too but I also thought it unlikely as she spoke pretty negative about it.

On his way upstairs Klaus decides to take the same approach he took with Sir Martin hoping that this time his judge of character might be better, and also being more careful to not lean out of the window too far.

He opens the door to the room and lets Greta enter it before him, when she sees Max he explains to her that he is trustworthy and then closes the door behind him.


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
Mortus will stay at the bar eating and drinking brandy.   The witch moon is seriously bothering him, she can feel shakes coming on. 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 09:26:28 AM
Heinrich will lower Julian into the courtyard, watching very carefully for any sign of anyone else in the area.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 09:32:33 AM
Heinrich is able to lower Julian safely into the courtyard. The dog's barking hasn't alerted anyone, as far as he can tell.

He does get the distinct impression that the moon is looking at him though.


Julian remembers which door lead to Franz Steinhager's office.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 09:45:48 AM
Leaving Mortus at the bar, where she orders a nice meal and another brandy, Klaus leads Greta upstairs to his room. Max wakes up as they go inside. Sitting up, his hair disordered and with bits of straw stuck in it, Max says, "Klaus! Oh, and good evening, madam... do you want me to leave? I could sit on the stairs outside the room."

Greta looks at Max, and then at Klaus, with an odd expression on her face. Klaus explains that Max is trustworthy. Greta says, "Oh, I'm sure... but who is he?"

"I'm Klaus's little brother, madam. My name is Max. Pleased to meet you." He walks over to her and shakes her hand. As he does, he glances sideways at Klaus, to see if he approves of the lie.

"Pleased to meet you too, Max." Greta looks at Klaus, "I don't mind if he stays or leaves. Now, what did you want to talk about?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 09:55:16 AM
Mortus feels better as she drinks.   Slowly the brandy drives out the chill that has swept over her since she saw the moon.   She eats well, shovelling food into her mouth as if she expects a famine.   When she is finished she pays for her drinks and dinner and goes outside.   She is not drunk but the warmth of the brandy encourages her to act.   Slowly she walks to Adel Ring.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 09:56:12 AM
OOC: Little brother....now this is getting rich....we are the flogged fosters.

"Max, this is Greta someone who might help us. Greta I  brought you up here to tell you something, something for which we both were flogged because of an overeager noble something so delicate and outrageous it might bring down both the Steinhagers and the Teugens should we....that is some other people I work together with...be able to find hard evidence might even ruin the name of those two families and everyone else involved for ever. I am certain that your boss might be very interested in what we already found out and will be even more interested should we find out more. Greta.....I got flogged for telling this to the authority as I hoped they might help clearing those things up and still I know that it is best to just talk straightforward with you without any subtle play of words and trickery, I want money and I am certain that the Ruggbroders will provide it. So what would you say?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 10:11:19 AM
Julian guides Heinrich to Steinhager’s office, and tries the door.

“This is Steinhager’s office… I think the best chance of finding something will be here, it is where I saw the letter. Do you want to search anywhere else too?”


 He expects it to be locked, and has his tools open at his side. If it is locked he inspects the lock and door thoroughly, to see how easy and quietly he could open it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:11:57 AM
Max nods enthusiastically as Klaus tells his story, but keeps quiet.

Greta listens carefully. When Klaus is finished, she says, "This seems very convenient to me - I tell you about my boss's worries about a secret club, and you two just happen to know something about it... if you get paid, of course. I wonder if you both got flogged for running confidence tricks. I can't go to Heironymous Ruggbroder unless you can tell me something I didn't already tell you. "

Max suddenly blurts out, "Is this about the Ordo Septenarius? The seven-part order? We saw those words written in a summoning circle that was used to call forth a demon of the evil realm! It's all true, I assure you madam!"

Max realises what he's said, and looks at Klaus fearfully. Greta seems shocked, and also looks at Klaus for confirmation.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 10:18:45 AM
OOC:  :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :Ohmy:

DAMN YOU MAX!

He gives Max one very angry look before he turns his full attention to Greta.

Klaus is alarmed on how Greta might react and is fearful of something bad happening to him again, he watches Greta very closely and prepares to bolt or at least fight like a cornered rat should she try to capture Klaus his whole bodylanguage turned from relaxed to tense and he takes a step back from Greta.

"Yes that is true but right now we only have our words on the issue as they cleaned up their mess after themselves...so they also might know that someone might be after them. So.....what do you say?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 10:24:45 AM
Heinrich will watch Julian's back. He also suggests that if there was a secret door down below, there may be one in here, and probably in the big guy's office.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:50:05 AM
Julian glances over at the dog, to check if it's dead. He can't see any signs of movement, so decided it isn't a danger [observe test: secret roll!]

The door is indeed locked, but Julian thinks he can force it open in about five minutes... it should be relatively quiet. Heinrich keeps watch as he does so.

[five minutes pass, tensely! Dice are secretly rolled!]

Julian succeeds in opening the door. He's made a mess of the lock, so it's going to be very obvious that someone has been here... still, it's not as though the dead dog won't be noticed.

He and Heinrich enter Steinhager's office. The shutters are closed, so it's very dark inside. Julian can see well enough without a light source, but Heinrich can't. Everything looks the same as it did when Julian was here earlier.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:52:51 AM
Mortus leaves the inn and goes back into the street. As she walks, she can feel the moon staring at her... she tries to avoid looking at it, since she knows the face is getting more and more distinct with every minute that passes.

Despite the night chill, she is sweating. At last, she arrives at the Adel Ring. The area is mostly quiet, but she can see a watch patrol in the distance.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:57:01 AM
Max steps back when he sees how angry Klaus is with him. All the colour drains out of his face, and he mutters something inaudible. He's sure Klaus is going to beat him as soon as they are alone again.

Greta is quiet for a while, deep in thought. At last, she says to Klaus, "This is an extraordinary story. I think the boss needs to hear about it... Listen, I'll go see him tomorrow morning. If he wants to talk to you, he'll send someone to the inn to pick you up. Right?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 11:01:27 AM
Mortus can feel her face flush, she looks up at the moon again and the light almost blinds her eyes.   She rubs them, aware of the sweat on her hands and then wraps her arms around herself to protect from the cold.   She really wishes that she had brought some brandy.   The patrol is too far away for her to see.   She wants to go back to the inn but bloody Klaus is getting himself laid of all things, with Max knocked out as well.   She swears to herself.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 11:03:38 AM
“so, do we make a mess? We could try and blame industrial sabotage” In the mean time Julian inspects the room thoroughly, but without making a mess.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 11:04:36 AM
"Not someone only you, so far quite (HE HE HE)  like you and i hope we can continue it that way and I donīt want to take my chances that someone else in your troupe might work for the Steinhagers or Teugens, you do realize in what danger we have placed ourselves by telling you this? You also do realize that it would be folly to try the trick two times in a row would it be a fake. We know a little more about the affair so far but I fear right now it is still too little to put the pressure on the ones responsible but we will find out more should we get the support of the Ruggbroders but if not I will leave the city on the morrow as I donīt take to well to the heat that is building up around here right now, the only reason to stay here and try to solve all of this would be an enormous sum of money, I wouldnīt mind including you into the sharing of the money if you help us.  How do you suggest we go on about this? "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 11:19:14 AM
“so, do we make a mess? We could try and blame industrial sabotage” In the mean time Julian inspects the room thoroughly, but without making a mess.

"You can make as much of a mess as you please, I can't see a blessed thing in here."

Heinrich will keep watch in the hallway.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 01:25:58 PM
Julian carefully inspects the office. The room is wood paneled, and has two doors: the one they entered by, and another one leading to a different room (Steinhager's son came through this one earlier). A large painting of Bogenhafen is on the wall near that door. Steinghager's large, ornate desk takes up a lot of space in the room. It is covered with papers, and has a locked drawer in it. There is a drinks cabinet in a corner of the room, and several bookcases filled with what look like business ledgers.

Looking for secret doors will require a more thorough search.


Heinrich keeps careful watch from the doorway, but everything is still quiet.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 01:27:27 PM
Can I search the papers and open the locked door and search this reasonably quickly?

Do I have time to find a secret door?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 01:31:51 PM
[You can search the papers and look for a secret door in five to ten minutes. Breaking open the desk drawer would take a few minutes also. The other door in the room would take about five minutes to open. Of course, you don't know how long you have...]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 01:44:17 PM
Do the desk and drawer, then we'll decide about the other door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 01:44:28 PM
[Fandir]

Greta holds up her hand, "Klaus, stop. You're letting your tongue run away from you, and it's starting to annoy me. I don't know if you're telling me the truth or not, but I want to believe you... in any case, I find your brother very convincing. He seems like an honest boy... which is a dangerous thing to be.

"If I leave now, I might be able to talk to the boss before he goes to bed. He's desperate to learn more about this secret club, so I think he'll want to hear your story. I'll come and collect you in the morning... unless he decides he wants to speak to you right away, which he might.

"The boss will reward you if you tell him something useful. And me too, so don't worry about that. You don't have to bribe me. Stay here, calm yourself down, and I'll see you when I see you."

Greta leaves without another word.

When she's gone, Max comes closer to Klaus, his head down, and says, "Klaus? I'm sorry I spoke out of turn. I thought I was helping... I didn't think what I was doing. I promise not to do it again. Please don't hit me." His voice is unsteady, and he's visibly shaking.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 01:49:45 PM
Klaus is kind of stunned of Gretas reaction. He turns his head and looks at Max......

"Well....I am not sure might be the only reason she believed us was you speaking up. Lets go downstairs and find Mortus and hopefully the others....we should also consider fleeing the inn and the city and make preperations for that too." Turning away from Max, Klaus will walk up and down room deep in thought before he goes downstairs to find Mortus. "Max come with me." He snaps before leaving the room.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 01:52:17 PM
Having decided that she was not going to learn anything new, being annoyed by the cold and lack of brandy Mortus will return to the inn.   
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 02:02:20 PM
Mortus wanders past the mansions in the Adel ring. It seems like weeks ago when she saw them in daylight - strange to think it was only today. Most of the gates are closed, and she sees occasional guard patrols inside the grounds of some of the mansions. Bogenhafen's richest men stay rich by protecting what they have.

She is near the Steinhager house, which still has its gate open, when four men emerge from the fog. Two of them are expensively dressed, and talking to each other in loud, drunken voices - they are discussing trade deals, though not very coherently. Escorting them are two alert, well armed bodyguards. All four enter the Steinhager grounds. As they do, the older of the two merchants brushes against the gatepost and something falls from inside his jacket. He doesn't notice, but keeps walking. The bodyguards are both looking at Mortus. They seem to decide that she doesn't look like a threat, and ignore her.

Once the four are out of sight, Mortus investigates what the merchant dropped. It's a brief note. For a moment, Mortus is glad of the unearthly light of the witch moon, since it at least means she can see the letters well enough to read.

It says, An hour after sunset at my house, tomorrow. All members of the inner circle are to attend.
J.T.


The words 'Ordo Septenarius' are printed at the bottom of the parchment.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 02:08:16 PM
Mortus will stash the note in her purse and hurry back to the inn.   She will go straight to the room.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 02:08:45 PM
Max obediently follows Klaus - his hair is still a mess, and he's barefoot and wearing only his breeches. He doesn't dare keep Klaus waiting. He keeps his head down, fearfully.

Klaus goes downstairs and into the bar, Max shuffling after him. Mortus isn't there, and neither are Julian or Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 02:16:24 PM
"Damn....where has she gone? Max what are you doing? Get your boots on and look at you....you look like you are fresh out of the sewers." Klaus will walk over to the innkeep and inquire if he knows where Mortus....the lady with the brandy has gone or if she said anything when she`ll be back. He also asks if there is a backdoor to the inn.

If the Halfling doesnīt know where she went Klaus will impatiently wait for her walking around in the room.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 02:18:53 PM
Ok, search the papers and open the desk drawer. I have a feeling we will find stuff mentioning the order, but not demon stuff.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 02:24:43 PM
Julian searches through the pile of papers on the desk. Almost all of them are business papers of different kinds, but among them is the letter Julian read the end of earlier. He reads it quickly,

Franz,
Please, do not allow yourself to be distracted by minor problems. Soon, all of our business rivals will be swept away, and we will be rich beyond measure. On the night after the Schaffenfest ends, with the sound of the twelfth bell, our plan will come into fruition.
J.T.



Next, he levers open the drawer. Inside are a number of warehouse inventories. Under those, Julian finds half a dozen blank sheets of parchment with 'Ordo Septenarius' printed on the bottom of them, and a cheap bronze pendant with a stylized '7' engraved on it, surrounded by scrollwork.

There's also a small, leather-bound book with a black cover. Julian flicks through it, but it is in a language that he can't understand.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 02:30:14 PM
Max flinches when Klaus shouts at him, and runs back upstairs.

The innkeeper tells him Miss Mortus left a little while ago, but he doesn't know where she went. He tells Klaus - with a knowing smile - that there is indeed a back door, which can be found in the kitchen. "I do hope you'll pay your bill before you make any escapes!" he says, with a chuckle.

Max comes back down soon after. He's washed his face and brushed his hair. He has his shoes on, but not his shirt. "My back's too sore to put my shirt on, Klaus," he whimpers, "I'm sorry." His eyes don't meet Klaus's.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 02:50:39 PM
“Well… I guess they will already know someone was here, what with the dog and the door. I hope Max can read this” Julian says as he pockets the black book and the half incriminating letter”

“Shall we risk searching for the door Heinrich? Or searching any other rooms? If we are caught we will be killed, I am sure.”
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 02:59:45 PM
Open that other door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 03:04:59 PM
Julian starts working on opening the other door, his fingers moving almost frantically as he goes as fast as he can
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 04:27:39 PM
Julian find this door easier to open than he thought. He soon splits the lock open, and sees a short corridor on the other side. It makes a right turn just ahead, and there's another door at the corner. He walks carefully down the corridor, and look around the turning - it stops dead where the courtyard wall must be. Since there's no other door, Julian can tell that there is another room on the inside of the L-shape. He doesn't think there was a close enough door on the courtyard... so perhaps there is a secret door in Steinhager's office? He was expecting one, after all.

Heinrich hears a noise - but it's only an owl hooting. He feels as though they've already been here too long.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 04:49:45 PM
"Julian!" Heinrich hisses in a whisper. "How much longer?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 04:58:02 PM
Heinrich can hear a noise coming from somewhere nearby! He listens carefully, trying to judge the direction: it's coming from a room next to the door that connects the courtyard to the street. The doorman's office? Someone is in there!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 04:59:33 PM
Heinrich can hear a noise coming from somewhere nearby! He listens carefully, trying to judge the direction: it's coming from a room next to the door that connects the courtyard to the street. The doorman's office? Someone is in there!

Ugh.

Heinrich will investigate the noise, being careful to stay as hidden and silent as possible.


OOC: At this point in the story, Heinrich wanders off alone to investigate a noise, and is eaten by a demon.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 05:00:59 PM
He can hear someone muttering and walking around the room - perhaps getting dressed, ready to patrol the offices?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 05:11:47 PM
"Flieht.....ihr Narren!"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 19, 2012, 05:20:55 PM
Heinrich will ready his axe. When the person emerges, he will sneak as best he can behind them, put the axe to their neck, and threaten to kill them if they say a word. Then he will disarm, gag, and tie up the person as securely as possible, preferably without sacrificing his rope or manacles, but sacrificing the rope before the manacles.

Fingers crossed.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 19, 2012, 05:29:15 PM
Julian leaves his investigations and finds Heinrich. 'Let's go!'


(Doesn't Julian have enough time to leave before the guy comes out.  )
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 09:57:02 PM
The door opens, and an old man holding a lantern emerges. Heinrich is waiting, and puts his axe to the man's neck, whispering in his ear that he will die if he speaks. The man drops the lantern in surprise - the glass shatters, splashing burning oil everywhere.

[Heinrich I test = 89. Fail!]

Heinrich tries to avoid the oil, but moves too slowly. Some of it catches his boots and breeches, setting a number of small fires. He instinctively releases the old man and works quickly to put the fire out. The man immediately shouts at the top of his voice, "Help! Burglars! Help! Fang! Where are you girl? Fang!"

He runs towards the main door to the street, fumbling to remove his key ring from his belt.

Julian hears the noise and rushes to see what's going on.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:05:57 PM
Klaus and Max wait rather a long time for the others to get back to the inn, but there's still no sign of any of them. Klaus paces around impatiently, while Max sits miserably in the corner. Occasionally he looks as though he wants to say something to Klaus, but then thinks better of it and keeps quiet.

At last, Mortus enters the inn. She goes straight upstairs to the room without a word - she either didn't see Klaus, or was ignoring him on purpose.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 19, 2012, 10:13:42 PM
Klaus exchanges a look with max and goes after her but only starts talking to her as soon they are inside of the room.

"Mortus great that you are back, I might have good news....or bad news I donīt know yet. Where are the others? One of the merchant families might back us in our search for information and might reward us royally should we be able to find out who the villains are."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:18:21 PM
Max follows Klaus up to the room. He goes and sits down on his straw bed on the floor, in silence.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 10:51:34 PM
"Which merchant family?" Mortus asks.   She is sitting on the bed rocking forwards and backwards slightly, her knife grasped firmly in her fist and she is staring intently at the blade.   She does not look up when Klaus speaks to her but her shoulders tense and her voice hardens.   If Klaus or Max can see her face they will see that she is very flush and sweaty.   Beads of sweat are rolling down her cheeks and her hair is hanging lank around her features.   Her eyes are half closed but narrowed rather than droopy with tiredness and there is a rigidness in her entire posture.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 10:54:09 PM
Max watches Mortus for a while, and then finally musters the courage to say something. "What's wrong, Mortus? Are you ill? Did something happen while you were out?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 10:59:50 PM
Mortus looks at him for a long time and then she draws a deep breath and slips her knife back into his scabbard.   She attempts a wan smile.

"I'm okay Max," she says slowly, forcing the words out.   "It is just the Witch Moon is acting strange."   She pauses for a second and then shrugs.   "I am not ill, I am frightened.   You are a student.   Did you study the Witch Moon at all?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 11:20:15 PM
"Oh, you mean Morrslieb, don't you? I'm afraid I wasn't any good at astronomy... I know it moves erratically, not like the other moon Mannslieb. And I've heard it's connected to the flow of magic in the world, or something like that. I don't know anything else. Did you study astronomy, Mortus? I was good at history, especially, and the professors said I was very good at Classical Reman too - do you know Classical Reman?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 19, 2012, 11:26:59 PM
Mortus smiles and seems more herself.   She has stopped rocking.

"I studied a little astronomy, Max," she admits.   "Mainly so I can sail and find my way around.   It is very useful for navigation, being able to read the stars.   Each one with its own place and position.   Each one drifting so peacefully into position and staying there.   My master mentioned Morrslieb only briefly because its ill-regular movements make it useless for navigation and anyway my skills are not very good in the area.   I have never liked the Witch Moon, even less so when it is full."    She seems calmer now, more in control of herself.   She stands up and goes to sit beside Max.   "I am sorry if I frightened you.   I am just used to being alone when the Morrslieb is out."   She pauses again and then takes one of the bottles of wine she bought earlier from the end of the bed and looks around the room for goblets.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 19, 2012, 11:40:45 PM
Max has cheered up enormously since he started talking to Mortus. "Oh, please don't apologize - you just looked so ill that I was worried about you. Morrslieb is very creepy sometimes, so I definitely understand that it upsets you! Where did you study, Mortus? What else did you learn?

"Did you study the arcane language of magic?", he asks, speaking in Classical Reman.

[It's not actually possible to have a conversation in the language of magic, according to the rules, because... well, I don't know. It's only used for spells.]

"I don't mean to pry, of course! Don't feel you have to tell me anything you don't want to. It's just nice to talk to someone close to my own age who's studied some of the same things."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 20, 2012, 12:01:28 AM
Mortus opens the best bottle of wine that she bought earlier and fills herself a generous goblet full.   She offers one to Klaus and Max.   The she sips and allows the liquid to wet her lips, they have gone very dry suddenly.   She can't say why but she feels threatened by Max's question, however innocently intended.   She can feel it closing in on her, she quashes the urge to look for witch hunters under the bed and sips again and smiles.   Her first urge is to lie but for some reason Max's hopeful beaming face effects her.   She puts down her goblet carefully.
"Bits and pieces," she admits.   "There was a wizard in my village when I was very young.   An old battle wizard called Vacc von Van der Vaart.   I was always very interested in what he could do.   He showed me some books and thought me to read and write and a little Classical Reman.   He also spoke about the Witch Moon from time to time."   She sighs and sips her wine again.   "I might have been happy studying with him but my family hadn't the money to send me to university and poor Vac was killed when I was only eleven.   He left me some of his books but that was all.   Dis you study it at all?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 12:18:34 AM
Max takes the goblet of wine gratefully, and drinks deeply. "That's very nice wine, Mortus, thank you! So a real wizard taught you! That's marvelous. I'm so sorry you couldn't go to university. I've enjoyed my studies in Nuln tremendously. I learned the magical language there - it's part of the standard curriculum, along with Classical Reman. I've been very lucky, because father is so generous with my allowance so I can study without having to worry about money at all.

"The magical language is awfully difficult, don't you think? And it's really no use at all, since it doesn't have the vocabulary to have a conversation with someone. It's just for casting spells, and of course none of us do that at the university! Well, some of the professors dabble a bit, though they try to keep it quiet. There were a lot of rumours about Professor Teugen, back when he still taught there."

"I'd love to practice my Reman with you though, if you'd like that?" he takes another deep gulp of wine. He leans closer to Mortus, and says in Reman, in a rather loud whisper, "actually, there are some secret student clubs at the university where they practice magic! They have some spells copied out of the restricted books from the library, and they try to call up spirits and elementals and all sorts! I went along to a meeting once... it was so exciting... there was a circle of people chanting the spell, and it seemed like nothing was going to happen. But then there was a bright flash and a noise like silver bells ringing, and something appeared in the circle - only for a second. I hardly saw it at all... but it was beautiful!"

"Oh, I've finished my drink," he says, talking in Riekspiel again, "May I have some more?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 20, 2012, 12:30:37 AM
Mortus refills his goblet.

"Though you should be sipping rather than gulping,"  she says with smile.   "This wine is far too good to be quaffed."   She sits back on the bed, her feet out straight and her back pressed against the wall.   Her face looks gaunt, even narrower than normal but the rigidness has gone from her body.   She sits in silence for a few seconds, her eyes droopy, remembering back to the village she grew up in.   Then she laughes a merry laugh.

"I would not call Vac a proper wizard," she says.   "He called himself that and had great stories of the exploits of his youth.   Fighting in the Army of the Elector Count or Averland against goblins, or of the Elector of Nordland against pirates and Norse.   Every time I went to visit him he had a new story.   He never really showed me the language of magic.   He didn't cast much himself anymore and he insisted when I asked that I be taught properly in a university and not let the ramblings of an old mind corrupt my understanding."   She laughs, more merrily this time.   "I think he had friends in one of the universities.   He was talking about one in the days coming up to his death but he never mentioned to me where it was and its name is on no maps."   She sighs again and sips her wine.   "Still I must follow the family trade and build the family fortune and the family trade is wine, not magic.   I can talk with you in Classical Reman if you so desire and if Klaus doesn't mind.   It would do me good to practice I suppose, in case I get enough money to go to university."   She pauses to drain and refill her goblet (OOC: I am assuming that they are small gobets)
"Did you say that Professor Teugen dabbled in magic, the Teugen that is now head of his family?"   She looks slightly worried by this.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 12:50:40 AM
"Oh dear, you're quite right, Mortus: I should drink the wine more slowly so I can taste it properly. But my back was hurting awfully, and the wine is helping a lot.

"I forgot that Klaus doesn't speak Reman - do you Klaus? It was so rude of me to speak in a language someone in the room doesn't understand! Father would have... uh, never mind." Max shudders, and takes another drink.

"Vac sounds facinating! I love stories about battles and magic and things like that. Maybe you can tell me some of his stories sometime? I do hope you get to go to university one day, Mortus. Imagine if you went to Nuln! Wouldn't that be good? Is Nordland a nice place to live? I've never been there. I'm from Ostermark. It's beautiful, but wild and bleak and dangerous. My ancestors fought in the succession war of 2146 - that was when Graf Martin of Stirland died trying to invade us - he was the one who killed the vampire count Mannfred at Hel Fenn the year before. He could defeat the living dead but he couldn't conquer Ostermark!

"Yes, Professor Teugen is the same man who is now in charge of the Teugen family. He left the university two years ago when his brother died. He used to teach economics... he was terrifying! I always imagined that if someone upset him, they'd just vanish and never be seen again. Everyone said he was into magic, but he always denied it and no one saw him do any. Maybe there wasn't any truth in the rumours... but he was the kind of man you could imagine doing all sorts of evil spells. He just looked the part.

"Gosh, Heinrich and Julian are awfully late! I hope they aren't in danger... should we look for them, do you think?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 20, 2012, 01:13:27 AM
"Nordland," Mortus smiles as she says the name, but to herself rather than to Max.   It is like speaking of a lover long gone and only half remembered, where the pleasures are still firmly in her mind and the horrors less so.   "It is harsh up there, rough and cold, but beautiful, really beautiful.   There is nothing like the sun rising over the deep snow and the trees standing out.   You should make your way up sometime.   It is a bit rugged but you'll get used to that.   I remember stories of Count Martin but that is all.   Vac had this story he liked telling.   It was when he was young.   A vampire by the name of Olfuil was marching on Nordland, coming down from the chaos wastes, gathering his army as he came.   By the time he came to the Nordland border he had a massive host, as far as the eye could see in all directions.   Long dead and freshly dead and not just human but cats, dogs, cows, horses and sheep and all manner of animal as well, some animals that we have never seen before.   Things from the waste lands.   All shambling forwards.   Vac was there and the great Nordland General von Winnous.   They had fifteen thousand men and twenty cannon brought up from Nuln.   They set up on a ridge and waited from the army to shamble across.   Olfuil waited until dark to attack.   Tried to swamp the lines.   Vac was there, as he said, and another wizard that he didn't name.   And they spoke the words of power and lit up the night as bright as day and let the gunners see their targets and Vac said that the other wizard fired many pillars of flame, searing them through the ranks of the undead.   But regardless of the damage that was done by the magics and by the thundering guns swept through the undead ranks and returned them to Morr in their thousands.   But still they came forward, ignoring the losses.   The brave men of Nordland stepped forward to meet them and massive slaughter ensued.   Olfuil sent forward the worst and most rotten of his followers.   For two hours they pushed up the steep hill but they were always thrown back.   As each Nordland warrior fell her rose again and joined the host of attackers, slashing at his friends.   The centre of the line broke and the warriors, who for two hours had fought bravely, fled.   Vac's friend, a female wizard of great power saw the danger.   She cloaked herself in magical blue fire and marched into the breach, yelling at the men to rally and follow her.   When the evilness came into contact with her they lit up like they were formed from candle wax.   She set her sights on Olfuil and marched through his horde, burning a great path of destruction.   When the men saw this their courage returned and they formed up again.
Vac never said her name.   Only that she formed a sword of pure flame and did smite that vampire and rip him limb from limb and he was no match for her.   But the fire that had burned them burned her aswell and in conjuring the sword she lost control of the magic and a massive rip appeared in the sky and lightening and rain did pour forth and arms, wide as rivers reached down and did grape her and as those fingers, thick as oak trees, did close around her she grabbed Olfuil in a dead man's grip and together they were dragged into the warp and the horde, without the mind to drive it, did crumble and collapse and Nordland was saved.   
Seven thousand good men died that day, drenching that ridge with their blood and forming a new hill with their bodies."   Mortus paused and sipped her wine.   "Vac would get very quite after that and then he would say that he would pray for her soul.   Did you have Professor Teugen at the university?" 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 20, 2012, 01:18:40 AM
"Julian!" Heinrich, yells as he pats at the fire to try to put it out. "Find that secret door! We need to escape through the sewer!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 08:51:52 AM
Max listens attentively to Mortus's story, clearly enjoying it immensely. When she's finished, he says, "Mortus, that was a wonderful tale! I've heard a lot of stories about the undead before - we talk about them a lot in Ostermark, almost as much as they do in Stirland - but I've never heard one where there were undead animals in the army. It makes sense that there would be though - and I think a zombie sheep would be terrifying! It's so sad that the female wizard died saving everyone. How awful that her name isn't even remembered.

"Professor Teugen did give some lectures that I went to. He was a very good speaker, and I learned a lot about coins from him - about the different types used in other countries, and how to check a gold coin is really gold, that sort of thing. I had to go to his office to speak to him once... it was worse than going to see father in his study after diner, because I knew father would only beat me. But Professor Teugen just had to look at me and I felt... I don't know how to explain it. As though he could set my mind on fire inside my head just with his eyes. He told me my last essay wasn't good enough, and I'm afraid I grovelled to him humiliatingly. He let me rewrite it, so I stayed up all night until it was perfect, and I never had to go and see him in private again. He left not long after that... I don't think he'd remember me. At least, I hope he won't!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 20, 2012, 10:42:15 AM
For a split second Julian hesitates- then the harsh reality of the situation sets in.
This man might be innocent. But he is working for a demon worshipper, so he might not be.
Furthermore, If he and Heinrich are caught all of Bogenhafen will be destroyed. This man must not escape. He must die so they can save the town.

Julian lifts his axe and hammer, and axes the fuck out of him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 20, 2012, 10:50:09 AM
For a split second Julian hesitates- then the harsh reality of the situation sets in.
This man might be innocent. But he is working for a demon worshipper, so he might not be.
Furthermore, If he and Heinrich are caught all of Bogenhafen will be destroyed. This man must not escape. He must die so they can save the town.

Julian lifts his axe and hammer, and axes the fuck out of him.

Ditto.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 10:57:49 AM
Julian closes on the doorkeeper while he's struggling to turn the key in the lock, and attacks mercilessly.

[to hit roll (main hand) = 18 = hit, hits right leg. S2 + d6 roll of 6! (possible extra damage... yes! 4 more) - T3 = 9 wounds. 5 on profile, -4 critical hit! Dice roll 81, death!]

[I'm going to copy out the text for a maximum critical hit on the leg]

Julian's axe blow smashes through the doorkeeper's leg and into his pelvis, caving in the lower abdomen. Blood showers Julian and the doorkeeper. He collapses, dying almost instantly from shock and blood loss.

 :Ohmy:
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 20, 2012, 11:04:06 AM
I will take the man's keys, and any serviceable items he may have that are not easy to identify as his.

"Now let's get what we need and get out of here."

From now on, Heinrich will kill first and ask questions later. Foolish mistake, and he kicks himself for being so soft.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 11:09:29 AM
The doorkeeper has a large ring of keys, and a wooden club hanging from his belt. His body is covered in blood.

There's no sign yet of a watch patrol approaching. Maybe no one heard?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 20, 2012, 12:25:25 PM
"So, we got some keys. We can go back and search for more clues, burgle the place, burn it down, or just leave now. That black book might be all the incrimination we need! what do you think."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 04:03:20 PM
Julian searches Steinhager's office, in the area he thinks should contain a secret door judging by the unaccounted for space on the other side of the wall.

He finds a locked secret door behind the wood paneling. The doorman's keys don't fit the lock. He also finds a (locked) wall safe behind the painting of Bogenhafen.

The safe is difficult to break open, unsurprisingly. It takes Julian nearly fifteen minutes to open it - all the time checking with Heinrich that no one is coming.

At last, he manages to open it. Inside are two small but heavy cashboxes, which are also locked. It would be easier to take them away than try to open them here. Julian also finds a piece of parchment, which says, Remember that a beggar will be brought to the temple to consecrate it. The note is unsigned.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 20, 2012, 07:59:43 PM
Let's open the secret door. I hope heinrich is being vigilant!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 08:04:21 PM
Heinrich continues to listen carefully, but no one is hammering at the doors so far. With the doorman dead, no one is likely to notice that anything is going on in the building at this time of night.

Julian finds opening the secret door quite easy after busting the safe. It's done in five minutes. On the other side is a staircase leading down. It ends at what looks like a stone wall, but Julian can see a lever mechanism that opens the door. Presumably the room where they fought the demon is on the other side.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 20, 2012, 08:06:09 PM
Julian definitely pulls the lever.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 20, 2012, 08:50:55 PM
Klaus was kind of stunned about how much both....Max and Mortus spoke and about basically nothing very important ......at least Klaus thinks so as he didnīt understand most of the conversation but he considers that Mortus is hitting on Max and is unsure what to think about it.

"Bizzare" he speaks only half loud....

"Well back to business....the Ruggbroders might help us...or kill us if they are part of it. We have no time to waste on stories of Undead and women on fire. We should consider fleeing if we donīt like what we see if Greta returns. I still canīt put a shirt on but I guess I might be able to carry my goods...lets pack everything up and prepare to fly and escape through the backdoor of the inn.

Also where are Heinrich and Julian? Mortus do you have any idea? Did you find out anything about the demon worshippers?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 09:56:49 PM
Julian pulls the lever. Sure enough, the stone wall slides open, revealing the chamber where he and Heinrich fought the demon. The room is completely empty - the cabinet, the copper circle and the star have vanished. The floor looks to have been re-tiled. The wooden door to the sewers has been replaced, but the replacement has also been broken open.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 20, 2012, 10:09:26 PM
"It is their town Klaus," Mortus says quietly, her somber mood returning on Klaus' interjection.   "We will not be able to flee from them and exit the city alive.   The Ruggbroders might help us indeed.   I have a piece of paper that could be of interest to them."   She takes the note from her purse and reads it, explaining where it came from.   When she is finished she smiles and returns the note to her purse.
"There is always time for stories and tales," she says.   "They are how we know we are still alive and free."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 20, 2012, 10:13:14 PM
"Mortus is right, Klaus, we can't flee the town! We have to stay and stop the demon worshipers. If we don't, who will?" Maybe it's the wine - or maybe he wants to impress Mortus with his bravery - but Max looks excited at the prospect of fighting demon cultists. "We could hide outside Professor Teugen's house tomorrow evening and see who turns up for the secret meeting.

"Heinrich and Julian have been a very long time though. Would you like me to go and look for them? I feel much better now, really."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 02:51:43 AM
Alright, I'll use the keys to open the door and we can go.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 06:48:05 AM
"Woah Max you certainly will not walk around alone the streets topless and half drunk. Mortus where have you seen them last?"
 Klaus reads the scrap of paper and frowns. "Well this isnīt much but I guess we could try to investigate this meeting....I still think it would be better to hire a professional to do this as I am not too good in all this criminal stuff, shadowing people and the like."


OOC: Well actually he is....on what skill do you check when sneaking and hiding? Dex or Intelligence?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 08:56:27 AM
"They were looking into the office when I left them," Mortus says.   "I am sure that they are alright and will be back soon."   She goes to her bed and lies down on it to wait.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 08:59:08 AM
Heinrich unlocks the back door, and he and Julian go out onto the foggy streets. Heinrich doesn't see any lights in any of the nearby windows, so he's hopeful that no one saw them. Julian looks like he's been slaughtering cattle in an especially messy way, so they go to the river first, and Julian cleans off as much of the blood as he can. He thinks he's probably going to need new clothes.

They arrive back at the inn without encountering anyone on the streets. The door is barred, but the innkeeper soon opens it when they knock. He looks at Julian with some alarm, but welcomes them in.

Upstairs in the room, Max, Mortus and Klaus are awake and talking when Heinrich and Julian come in. Heinrich explains what happened at the Steinhager offices, while Julian opens the two cash boxes. Each one contains 500 gold crowns, for a total of 1000!

Julian shows Max the black book written in a mysterious language, asking him if he understands it.

"Oh yes, Mr. Julian sir! This is written in the arcane language of magic, which I studied at university. I believe it's a spell book! Look, Mortus, don't you agree? Let me see if I can tell what sort of spells they are... ah, now this first one... Oh. It's a charm to keep you dry in a rainstorm. That's rather disappointing! What about the others, I wonder?"

Max studies the book for a while, and determines that it contains only petty magic spells - nothing illegal or even very dangerous.

[The book contains the following petty magic spells: curse, gift of tongues, magic lock, magic flame, magic alarm, marsh lights, open, protection from rain, remove curse, sleep, reinforce door.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 09:12:41 AM
"All that effort... and that man.. for what, 1000 crowns? We learned nothing!"

Julian is despondent and sits heavily on his bed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 09:16:11 AM
"Hello Julian....you look terrible.  :ph34r: what happened?" Klaus looks pretty nervous.....1000 crowns isnīt really nothing but where did you obtain those?"

Klaus positions himself close to the window and spies out to see who is moving around on the streets.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 09:19:15 AM
"We know there is a meeting," Mortus says, still lying on her back on the bed with one hand curled around her knife hilt.   "We also know there is a temple and a begger."   She smiles to the roof.   "No shortage of beggers here I suppose.   Still its a start.   Somewhat better than nothing."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 09:21:21 AM
Everyone is very tired after their busy day, and goes to sleep.

Experience points!

Everyone did a lot of good roleplaying, and you all hit various plot objectives too.

Julian, Heinrich, Mortus, and Klaus each gain 100 experience points each. This can be spent on another stat increase.

Max learned a lot too... he gains 70 EXP, which he uses with the 30 he had already to gain +10 Int. Klaus's lecture may have got through to him after all.

Mortus had 50 EXP already, so now has 150... she can learn petty magic spells from the spell book at a cost of 50 EXP per spell. However, this will take some time and study, so can't be done until after the adventure.


Everyone wakes up the next morning, feeling rested. Heinrich, Klaus and Max regain one lost wound each.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 09:25:47 AM
Mortus rolls to her feet and slides the dagger back into her belt.

"Breakfast," she announces and then wanders down to see if she can find the halfling.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 09:31:09 AM
Klaus didnīt sleep too well. He isnīt used to lie on his belly while sleeping and he also is very nervous because of all the things going on he has a haunted look on himself when he wakes up and the first thing he does in the morning is going to the window to look out.

"I donīt like this whole thing....We still have nothing solid unless we try to find out what kind of meeting is going on this evening and if someone finds out we are there and realizes we are the persons who found out about the secret room, and about that order we are dead meat.........well after they torture us or sacrfice our souls to some demons." Klaus makes the sign of the Hammer.

"And all we got for our trouble is stolen money and Max and me flogged. I still think we should flee the city and leave this alone. It never pays off to meddle in the affairs of the rich and powerful."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 10:06:00 AM
Heinrich speaks up.

"This demon business rests uneasy with me. The witch moon is acting strangely. I think we need to act. We don't have enough evidence to prove his guilt to any officials, and I suspect they might be involved anyway, but we know for a fact that Steinhager is neck deep in it. I can follow him to the location of this meeting, and possibly learn everything. I could also simply kill him and Teugen, throwing a wrench in the works of this sevenfold order, but from the name I fear there may be five more cogs we have to unveil."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 10:15:20 AM
"I hope that Ruggbroder will at least listen to us... he might offer a reward or even help. I would join you in the observation of the two but I still think we should consider to hire us some more muscle to help us out should we be detected. Killing Teugen will be difficult as I am sure he will have bodyguards around him and they will know their trade."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
"I hope that Ruggbroder will at least listen to us... he might offer a reward or even help. I would join you in the observation of the two but I still think we should consider to hire us some more muscle to help us out should we be detected. Killing Teugen will be difficult as I am sure he will have bodyguards around him and they will know their trade."

"You make a fair point. I think our best effort might be made in following Steinhager to this meeting, and listening in on what they discuss. Julian, do you think we might learn something by more thoroughly exploring the sewers? If there was one demon down there, there might be more. You, me, and Max could certainly handle ourselves down there. Maybe Klaus could follow Steinhager after he has met with this Ruggbroder fellow."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 10:33:19 AM
Klaus is chewing his lip...if he gets caught following this man it could mean death.

"I will follow him but only if Ruggbroder offers a fortune if we could reveal them as demon worshipers. You should check the sewers below Teugens place...Adelring or what it was perhaps they meet in another room around there. Another good place to search in the sewers would be below the temples of the city. I donīt think it is a sound idea to take Max with you, he is still hurt and it would be a desaster should he die."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 10:56:56 AM
Max sleeps late, but wakes up while Heinrich and Klaus are talking. His hair is standing up absurdly, and he tries to smooth it down as he talks, "Good morning everyone! Oh, has Mortus gone down to breakfast already... I've slept late." He seems to feel guilty about this.

"I would love to go into the sewers with you and Mr. Julian, Heinrich! I know I could be helpful! Please don't worry about me, Klaus -" Max looks delighted by the idea that Klaus cares enough about him to want to keep him safe "-I feel much better. Well, my back does hurt dreadfully, but I'm used to it, really. Father used to... well, anyway, I can manage. How are you today, Klaus? You must feel so much worse than I do... here, I still have a dose of my pain medicine from the other day. Please, I want you to have it."

Max hands Klaus the pain medicine he got from Heidi the day before yesterday.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 10:57:41 AM
“max, could you do me a favour? I need some clothes, and I can’t be seen like this. The innkeeper saw me which is bad enough, it jeopardises us and him. I must get to Steinhager’s office on time or it will look suspicious. Can you go and buy me some clothes? [how much will this cost, 5 crowns? I didn’t update my character sheet when I paid for max and klaus’s treatment]

I’m sorry for how down I was last night Klaus… Indeed the money is not nothing, but Julian Stonebridge is no petty thief. It is only because I know the man is evil I will take the money. I was hoping the black book and the safe boxes would contain damning evidence. At least Mortus turned up something useful.

We should definitely follow Ruggbroder. I am not good at all that sneaky stuff though, so a job better for someone else.

I’m not sure what we would learn in the sewers, but we could certainly have a look. I’m not sure how the town guard would think about us traipsing around down there though.

[I just read Julian can set traps- if we find their meeting place he can set shit loads of man traps and catch everyone! Take a -20i test demon worshipping fools!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 11:01:41 AM
Klaus is chewing his lip...if he gets caught following this man it could mean death.

"I will follow him but only if Ruggbroder offers a fortune if we could reveal them as demon worshipers. You should check the sewers below Teugens place...Adelring or what it was perhaps they meet in another room around there. Another good place to search in the sewers would be below the temples of the city. I donīt think it is a sound idea to take Max with you, he is still hurt and it would be a desaster should he die."

"I would take care of him." Heinrich waves his hand dismissively. His brow is furrowed in thought. "Even if we do locate Teugen's place, we would have to wait until dark to break in. I don't like the idea of any more delays. Steinhager will likely stay in his offices until the time of the meeting, though if the mess we made of his office spooks him, he might decide to lay low and not go to the meeting at all. I have a better idea. Julian, Max, and I can explore the sewers some more. We'll also locate Teugen's offices. Klaus and Mortus can meet with their contacts during the day, then Klaus, you follow Steinhager. Then I will follow Teugen. That way we have twice the chance of success."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 11:04:38 AM
Max looks thrilled that he is being asked to do something. "I'd be delighted to do that for you, Mr. Julian sir! I'll go right away! Well, I should dress first." Max pulls on his shoes, and then - very carefully - puts on his shirt. He actually cries out in pain as the cloth touches his back. "Oh, I'm sorry to make a fuss. I hate to ask you, Mr. Julian sir, but may I have some money to pay for your clothes? I have none left.... thank you sir! I'll be as quick as I can!"

He races off to the shops, without thinking about breakfast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 11:08:59 AM
Klaus will put on the salve on his back as good as he can wash his hands if there is a bowl of water around  and then too try to put on his shirt very carefully but leave his leather jerkin lying on the bed.

"Ahh.....well....I like the idea that you follow Teugen. I will wait here for Greta to return and then try to speak with Ruggbroder and try to haggle some payment for all of us. If we manage to bring this Order Serpentarius down he will immensly profit of it. What about the thieves den? Should I tell Ruggbroder about that one? I think there are some goods of his down there too."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 11:11:35 AM
Max looks thrilled that he is being asked to do something. "I'd be delighted to do that for you, Mr. Julian sir! I'll go right away! Well, I should dress first." Max pulls on his shoes, and then - very carefully - puts on his shirt. He actually cries out in pain as the cloth touches his back. "Oh, I'm sorry to make a fuss. I hate to ask you, Mr. Julian sir, but may I have some money to pay for your clothes? I have none left.... thank you sir! I'll be as quick as I can!"

He races off to the shops, without thinking about breakfast.

"Damn kid should buy himself a spine while he's there." Heinrich murmers to no one in particular, then heads down to breakfast. He will bring his food and a portion for Julian, Klaus and Mortus back up to the room after paying for it.

"Ahh.....well....I like the idea that you follow Teugen. I will wait here for Greta to return and then try to speak with Ruggbroder and try to haggle some payment for all of us. If we manage to bring this Order Serpentarius down he will immensly profit of it. What about the thieves den? Should I tell Ruggbroder about that one? I think there are some goods of his down there too."

"Do you have Ruggbroder's sign? Julian and I can take a look while we're down there."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 11:17:30 AM
Julian thanks Heinrich for his breakfast, and takes big gulps of the light breakfast ale, which has become a firm favourite of his. He finishes his breakfast and starts to smoke his pipe, chewing the end as he thinks over Heinrich’s suggestions

“have we time to look into the thieves? I consider demons a greater threat… But overall I like your idea Heinrich. We should arrange somewhere to meet once I have finished at the Steinhager’s office. Hopefully he will cancel my job, but if not I will be going into the warehouses for a few hours. Perhaps you should tail me and then you can see if I have to go to the warehouses. If so we could meet at 11 o clock somewhere, perhaps it is easiest to meet back here?”

As soon as the plan is decided and Max returns with his clothes, Julian will go to Steinhager’s office. He is very keen not to be late. [How is he doing, time wise?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 11:20:24 AM
"A gauntlet and an ear of corn, I think. But should I tell him of it? I wonder if he will sent someone at all. What if he is part of it. They could be on their way already."

Klaus again walks over to the window and looks out to see who is walking around on the streets.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 11:23:06 AM
Perhaps you should tail me and then you can see if I have to go to the warehouses. If so we could meet at 11 o clock somewhere, perhaps it is easiest to meet back here?”

As soon as the plan is decided and Max returns with his clothes, Julian will go to Steinhager’s office. He is very keen not to be late. [How is he doing, time wise?]

Heinrich will do this, taking Max with him, to keep him out of Klaus and Mortus' way.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 12:23:15 PM
Max arrives back with Julian's clothes. He's out of breath, and a little blood is showing through the back of his shirt. He's obviously in some pain, but doesn't complain about it. "Here you are, Mr. Julian sir! Gosh, I do hope you like them, and they fit well enough." He hands Julian a new set of clothes, which are a little brighter than Julian might have chosen for himself, but fit nicely. "There's no change I'm afraid, sir! They cost the full five crowns."

Once dressed, Julian sets off for the Steinhager offices. He'll arrive in plenty of time.

Heinrich tells Max to come with him - Max nods enthusiastically and collects his helmet, shield, axe, bow and arrows. He leaves his leather vest behind since it would hurt him to wear it.


Klaus, looking out the window, sees Greta hurrying towards the inn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 12:25:28 PM
Klaus will wait in the room upstairs but already has opened the window and gauges if he could handle the jump out if it should the need arise.

Standing close to the window with his valuables all in the purse close by he waits for her.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 12:29:32 PM
Julian thanked Max sincerely when he returned with his clothes.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 12:38:19 PM
"Oh, I was very happy to help you, Mr. Julian sir!" Max says when Julian thanks him.


Julian walks to the offices, with Heinrich and Max following at a distance. Heinrich shows Max how best to follow someone without being noticed, and Max listens very carefully. He makes sure he does exactly as Heinrich tells him at all times, and keeps his mouth shut.

Julian reaches the Steinhager offices to find a crowd of curious townspeople standing in front of the building. At least a dozen watchmen are in front of the open door, keeping people back. As he gets closer, Julian can see Franz Steinhager talking to a man in an elaborate uniform, who presumably is an officer of the watch. The watchmen challenge him as he approaches, "Stop right there dwarf. What's your business here? This is a crime scene."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 12:44:13 PM
Klaus thinks he could jump out of the window if he really had to, but might well hurt himself in the process. There's a knock at the room door - it's the innkeeper. "Excuse me, sir, but there's a lady here asking for you. It's your friend from last night," he winks conspiratorially, she's downstairs in the bar."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 12:46:35 PM
"Would you please be so kind and send her up. Thank you very much."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 12:49:19 PM
"My name is Julian Stonebridge, and I am an engineer of some repute. I was hired by Steinhager to conduct a consultation of the damp in his warehouses. I was meant to meet here this morning... but I see there has been some sort of problem?
Would you mind telling Steinhager I am here. Perhaps he will be too distracted, in which case would you tell him that I would be able to return tomorrow to inspect the warehouses."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 12:58:16 PM
The watchman looks annoyed, and is about to tell Julian to go away. But just then Franz Steinhager comes over, having apparently heard his name. He looks at Julian blankly, then remembers who he is. "Mr. Stonebridge, wasn't it? Ah, you are here about the warehouse inspection. I'm afraid we had a break-in last night, and my doorkeeper has been murdered in a most horrible way... poor Gerhard... he served my family faithfully for most of his life. It's a tragedy." Steinhager looks genuinely upset. "As you can imagine, I have a lot to do here. I can't think about damp-proofing at a time like this. But if you can return tomorrow, that would be good. I'm sorry to have wasted your time. Good day."

With that, he turns away and goes back inside. Julian rejoins Heinrich and Max, and they decide where to go next.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 01:03:01 PM
The innkeeper nods at Klaus. Before going back downstairs, Klaus thinks he sees him looking at something in the room.

Shortly after, Greta comes in. "Klaus," she says abruptly, "Ruggbroder is very interested in hearing your story. He wants to meet... but not at his house. He wants this to be discrete, so he's arranged another place. Will you come?"


Mortus is still downstairs in the bar.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 01:06:58 PM
"Hello Greta Yes I will come with you." Klaus will get his valuables and follow Greta downstairs he will wish Mortus farewell and supposed to meet back at the inn later on.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 01:20:11 PM
Greta leads Klaus in silence through the streets. They head east, into a poor area of town where the sewer runs above ground. Eventually they reach a dilapidated house. Greta glances around to see if anyone is watching, and then tells Klaus to go inside.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 01:23:16 PM
Klaus smiles at her takes a deep breath and goes inside.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 01:37:50 PM
Greta follows him in. Inside, Klaus sees a hooded man sitting at a table. An armed bodyguard stands behind him. The man lowers his hood as Klaus enters - he's a bald man of about fifty, with piercing eyes and a heavy jaw. "Sit down -" he points to the chair across the table from his "- I am Heironymous Ruggbroder. Greta tells me that you have information about the -" his eyes dart to the side nervously "- Ordo Septenarius. I hope this is true. If it is, then you will be expecting payment... I assure you that I am quite prepared to pay in return for genuine information. If this is a con trick however... well, it had better not be."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 01:47:28 PM
"Greetings to you Herr Ruggbroder, I assure you it is no trick and I donīt want a single coin from you before I have proof. I trust your word that you will pay us though if we have the proof and help you becoming the most important man in town again. I trust Greta that you are a man that keeps to his promises and so I will tell you what we know so far:

Klaus re tells his story about the sewers and what the Goblin that brought them down there and the demon that was fought by Heinrich and Julian, the blob that attacked Klaus down there the room and what they found there, the summoning circle with Ordo Septenarius written inside, the handkerchief with the initials and that the room was below Franz Steinhagers office. Also the cover up by Sergeant Hohlbein, what else they found out about the order. How Klaus tried to get help from the officials and got flogged how they obtained more information about a secret meeting going on this night and how they plan to shadow the inner circle members of the order to find out what will happen also that some grand scheme should come to fruitition this or the next day. (Klaus wonīt tell him how we got those last pieces of information). Klaus will talk with few clear words and donīt exaggerate the story at all as he knows that Ruggbroder deals on a daily basis with much better liars than him and that any doubt planted in his mind could spoil the whole meeting.

"So Herr Ruggbroder, what reward would you have in mind and what support could you give us."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:16:57 PM
[Is Klaus convincing today.... oh no, a Fel test!... dice roll... 24! Very convincing.]

Ruggbroder listens in silence as Klaus talks. He narrows his eyes at the mention of Steinhager's name. When Klaus is finished with his lengthy story, Ruggbroder says, "That is a very complicated tale... but these are complicated men we are dealing with. Steinhager and Teugen are the main men in the Ordo, I am certain. I also suspect Friedrich Magirius - he may be a respected councillor and a leading figure in the merchants' guild, but he's up to his neck in this business. As to the others... I could speculate, but no more. This secret meeting is the opportunity I've been waiting for! I want to know who is there and what they talk about. If I can get evidence that I can take to the baron... they'd all be finished with.

"But what is their plan? I know they want to destroy my business: that much is clear. Yet you tell me about demons and other insanities of that sort... would they dare invoke such things? Are they sorcerers? Sigmar preserve us!

"You want my money. Well, if you can get me the proof I need you shall have it. Watch Teugen's house tonight... I cannot be seen to act in this... but Greta will help you. She'll meet you in the park at dusk. See who goes to the meeting, and if you can get into Teugen's garden and listen to what they say... if you can't... kidnap one of the ordo. Not Steinhager or Teugen, one of the lesser ones. Magirius, perhaps. Bring him here... I'll have a man who can make him talk. It's a risk... a terrible risk... but I must do it!

"What's your price?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 02:24:12 PM
"The price would be .......1000 crowns for every one of us. That would be five people. Only if it turns out the way I told you, only if they are demon worshipers and that you find out due to our actions I will trust your word that you will pay if these requirements are met, and I do realize that you could just kill us too and save the money but I hope you are not that kind of man. Also I think Greta should have some payment for her involvement but I am sure that you already have or will handle that one. Should we fail, you donīt owe us anything but you should consider that they might torture your name out of one of us and prepare for the worst. I would like to make some preperations before the nightfall get some black soot to cover my face and all those kind of extra things one could do prepare for this kind of work....and thanks Herr Ruggbroder for listening to me."



Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:33:33 PM
Ruggbroder chokes when he hears the sum Klaus wants. "Five thousand! That is a large sum for common mercenaries! And yet... the risk... you must not mention my name! To anyone! Five thousand... but if I destroy the Teugens and the Steinhagers at a stroke... imagine the rewards! It would be worth the cost, oh yes." He leans forward, his eyes fixed on Klaus's. "Swear you will accomplish this mission for me, and swear that you will not disclose my name, no matter how you may be tortured! Swear by divine Verena, lady of truth!"

He leans back again. Sweat is running down his face. "Swear, and I will agree to your terms. All of them! On my honour as a Ruggbroder, before these two witnesses."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 02:42:18 PM
Klaus seriously considers this for a while then nods to himself.

"Ok Herr Ruggbroder I swear a solemn oath to Verena (Oh Ranald save me) that I will find out about this order and that I wonīt mention your name. I will get some poison I will take in should I get captured (more to prevent the pain of torture than to safe your skin old man). Klaus looks at Greta how she reacted to all of this...especially the large reward Klaus wants.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 02:45:49 PM
Mortus looks up with interest when Greta and Kluas leave.   Something about them has peeked her interest but she does not know what.   She will follow Klaus at a respectable distance, though she has no idea what she will do if somebody attacks him.   She will wait around when he enters the building to ensure that she is not seen.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:49:04 PM
Greta looks like she disapproves of Klaus's greed... but when Ruggbroder agrees to the price her expression changes - now she looks impressed that Klaus got away with demanding that sort of money from her boss.

Ruggbroder nods as Klaus makes his oath, "Good, good. It is done then. Do not contact me until the job is done... unless it is essential. Greta will meet you in the park at dusk, as I said - will that be acceptable? May the gods protect and guide you!"

He seems to be finished talking to Klaus. Unless he has anything else to ask Ruggbroder, Klaus can leave.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 02:50:46 PM
Klaus only wants to ask Greta where he could get stuff like caltrops, poison, maybe a smoke bomb maybe something to camoflage him a bit better. Other than that he would like to leave as soon as possible and tell the others.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:52:23 PM
Mortus follows Klaus and Greta, keeping a careful distance between them. She follows them into a rough part of town, and watches them go into a small house - Greta almost sees her, but Mortus ducks into cover in time.

She waits, watching the house, until Klaus comes out again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:54:38 PM
Greta tells him he can buy caltrops at a weaponsmith's shop, and might get the other things from a pharmacy. She suggests some streets he might try. She also tells him he might be able to buy such things at the Schaffenfest, if he'd prefer. She stays with Ruggbroder, and Klaus goes into the street alone.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 02:57:22 PM
Another deep breath and Klaus walks towards the fair of the Schaffensfest trying to obtain the goods he mentioned.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 02:58:09 PM
Mortus sees Klaus emerge from the house, by himself.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 03:06:04 PM
Mortus will wait until he is some distance down the street and then catch up with him.

"Sorry I followed you Klaus," she says.   "But I thought you might use the back up.   What news is new?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 03:11:45 PM
"Mortus....gee you scared the shit out of me...Pardon my language. News is we might be very rich soonish but should prepare for the nightfall." Klaus looks around to make sure noone is listening and softly pulls Mortus to some sideway were they canīt be seen. We have a deal if we manage to find out about this cult we are rich....filthy rich. I want to go to the Schaffensfest to get myself some goods that might help should there be any trouble. Caltrops to slow pursuers and if I can get my hands on one a smokebomb and some poison. The others want to check the sewers again if they can find out anything, at dusk I will follow Steinhager and Heinrich will try to tail Teugen to where this meeting will be. There we have to find out who the other members of the cult are and what they are up to."

OOC: Do we know that the meeting will be at Teugens place because you have mentioned it I think a few times.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 03:15:14 PM
Julian walks back towards Heinrich and Klaus, thanking [a dwarven god?] “He didn’t want to see me today” Julian checks around to make sure no one is listening “and he didn’t suspect anything. I feel sorry for that man… He had worked there his whole life.

By the way We Can’t stay at the same inn any longer, the keep saw my bloody clothes. A damn shame as I loved that breakfast Ale.

So, we are going into the sewers. Shall we go to the Teugens domain first?”
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 03:15:43 PM
OOC: Do we know that the meeting will be at Teugens place because you have mentioned it I think a few times.

[I thought the note said so? I hope it did!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 03:16:50 PM
Julian walks back towards Heinrich and Klaus, thanking [a dwarven god?] “He didn’t want to see me today” Julian checks around to make sure no one is listening “and he didn’t suspect anything. I feel sorry for that man… He had worked there his whole life.

By the way We Can’t stay at the same inn any longer, the keep saw my bloody clothes. A damn shame as I loved that breakfast Ale.

So, we are going into the sewers. Shall we go to the Teugens domain first?”

"Yes, lead the way."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 03:23:43 PM
Julian prepares in his head another lie about inspecting the sewer on commission of Stumpf, then leads the crew to an entrance quite near the adel ring, but not in it. They will walk to the teugens underground.

[wait, do we still have our ladder? Lanterns? Have we left them in the inn? Do I need to buy equipment to make traps?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 03:29:52 PM
Heinrich, Julian and Max go to the manhole they used before, close to the crossed pikes - it still has the ladder they left there, hopefully. Max's stomach growls as they walk. He missed his breakfast earlier, but doesn't say anything.

They open the manhole cover (a few people stare at them, but no one challenges them) and descend into the sewer. Julian and Heinrich have lanterns, but Max doesn't. Julian gets the map out.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/sewermap.jpg)

Teugen's house is the one just above the A on the map, which is where they have entered the sewer. They walk along the main sewer until they see the minor sewer leading there - it's a pipe five feet in diameter, with no walkway.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/sewer.jpg)

Max offers to explore the pipe alone.



Quote from: Finlay
Do I need to buy equipment to make traps?

[No, you've got loads of stuff already.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 03:34:18 PM
“Max, take this lantern. I don’t need it but I’m not scared to get my feet dirty, I’ll go. You can come too if you’d like. Heinrich?”

[Julian is constantly being quite vigilant in regards to secret doors/areas of interest]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 03:43:32 PM
"Thank you sir," Max says, accepting the lantern,  "I'll certainly come with you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 03:50:38 PM
Ditto.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 03:53:42 PM
Klaus and Mortus stroll through town and leave by the east gate. They find themselves back amid the noise and excitement of the Schaffenfest, now in its last day. The beer tent looks even busier than before, and the entertainers are competing ever more wildly for the attention and money of the crowds. As they wander the merchant stalls looking for equipment for their mission, they see a new sight: half a dozen thin, wild-haired men dressed only in loincloths are beating themselves with barbed whips. As they do, their eyes are turned skyward, their faces twisted in religious ecstasy... they are chanting, over and over: 'Sigmar has judged us. The end has come. Repent! Repent!' A cheerful crowd is watching them.

Klaus shudders, thinking about his own flogging yesterday - why would anyone punish themselves in that manner? He turns away, looking at the stalls instead.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 04:10:33 PM
Julian leads the way into the pipe, followed by Max and then Heinrich. Walking through the filthy water is unpleasant, but at least it isn't deep. They continue for about fifty yards before the pipe splits in two. Both pipes head upward, narrowing considerably as they do so, and go into the house.

Max says, "Maybe I could climb up the pipe and get into the house that way, sir? I'm quite thin, so I bet I could make it!"

Julian thinks Max might well be able to do it, but it would be a tight fit and he wouldn't be able to take any weapons or equipment with him. He's sure he and Heinrich are too large to fit (Julian is shorter than Max, but a lot wider).

Studying the map again, Julian notices another minor sewer pipe that leads off the main passage further on from the one they took. It appears to connect with the bottom of Teugen's garden... perhaps there would be a larger exit there?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 04:12:46 PM
Let's try that one. I don't care for the idea of sending Max in alone and unarmed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 04:16:52 PM
Klaus manages to find all the things he's looking for, by shopping around at various stalls. He makes sure he gives a convincing cover story as he buys each item, so as to avoid raising suspicion.

- poison ingestive killing (to take if he's caught!)

- caltrops small (to injure pursuers)

- listening cone (to listen at walls)

-inspection mirror (to look round corners)

- lamp black (to camoflage his face)

- stinking scent (to upset guard dogs)

This costs him a total of 7 crowns, 1 shilling and 10 pence. He's quite pleased with his purchases.

Does Mortus want to buy anything?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 04:18:33 PM
Julian leads the party to the garden sewer.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 04:22:46 PM
Being in such great spirits Klaus will try his luck again at the gambling tent and hopes that Mortus will join him there he wonīt cheat as he donīt want to risk getting in conflict with the law....If mortus doesnīt want to learn about gambling Klaus wonīt go either but walk around schaffensfest with her drinking a mug of iced fresh cider and eating something tasty. He also suggest that they take a walk around the temples close by.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 04:24:53 PM
Max looks a bit sad that he doesn't get to climb into Teugen's house. Julian leads them all to the pipe that goes into the garden. At the end, it curves up and opens into what is probably a general waste disposal area. The opening is about two feet across, and covered in a metal grating: it's rusty and Julian thinks he could saw through it easily.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 08:37:32 PM
Mortus will look for a sword and also if there is a blow pipe and darts and also maybe sandbags or gloves with sand in them for knocking people out.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 09:14:33 PM
Mortus doesn't know how to use a blowpipe, and anyway isn't likely to find one at the Schaffenfest.

She can buy a good sword for 14 crowns [it does the same damage as her staff though].

[knocking people out is covered by 'going for a stun' rules, and is hard to do without the 'strike to stun' skill... and even then, you can still kill someone while trying to knock them out. There's no advantage to using a sandbag or whatever.]


Klaus suggest to Mortus that they go to the gambling tent. Is she interested?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 09:19:23 PM
"Mr Julian sir," Max says, "if you cut the grating I could climb up and have a look around. No one will see me, sir!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 21, 2012, 10:05:25 PM
Why not go gambling.   Also she should buy a nice dark tunic, trousers and boots.   As I figure she is wearing a dress at the moment and an expensive one at that
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 21, 2012, 10:08:53 PM
So Klaus and Mortus will buy some new cheap dark sturdy clothesl...Klaus will of course compliment Mortus on her choices of clothing and how great she looks in the new clothes, and then will teach her a bit about some rather trivial card game and gamble a bit with her in the tent before we return for the goat and wait for the others to make the final discussion about how the PLAN should work.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 21, 2012, 10:18:16 PM
Julian cuts the grate and sticks his head out a bit, looking around.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 10:31:55 PM
Julian saws though the grating - the rusted metal crumbles as he does so. Looking out, he can see the inside of a small shed. Someone will have to go up there and open the shed door to see anything else.

Max volunteers again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 10:50:04 PM
Heinrich will go. He will chide Max about being too quick to volunteer for jobs best left to others.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 21, 2012, 11:03:58 PM
Max blushes and mutters an apology to Heinrich.

Heinrich climbs up through the hole and into the shed... it stinks. He opens the door a little, and looks outside. He's in a large, walled garden. There's an impressive manor house at the other end. It looks like this:

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/Teuganhouse.jpg)

[The sewer entrance is in the pointy corner on the far right. Yes, I know the map doesn't show it... but the sewer map does, sort of. Who knows!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 21, 2012, 11:51:07 PM
Heinrich will return to Julian and Max.
"This is excellent. While Klaus and I follow Steinhager and Teugen, the rest of you can make your way through this secret passage to be positioned to help without being seen. Let's explore the sewers a little more, looking for anything that catches us as odd, and then head back to the inn to report this development to Klaus and Mortus."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 08:08:35 AM
"That's wonderful, Heinrich - I'm sure we'll succeed in stopping the demon worshipers now!" Max sounds excited, as usual. "What else do you think we might find in the sewers? Did you want to hunt down that awful thing that killed Boris? I'm ready for anything."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 08:34:47 AM
Klaus and Mortus have a nice time at the Schaffenfest, clothes shopping, gambling, eating and drinking. They return to the Surprised Goat in high spirits and head up to the room, intending to talk further about the plan for that evening, and to wait for the others to return.

[I test: Mortus = 91, fail]
[I test: Klaus = 50, pass]

Klaus immediately notices something is wrong in their room: someone has searched it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 22, 2012, 09:23:21 AM
Mortus sits on the bed and pours herself a new goblet of wine.

"now all we need to do is wait for the others."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 12:12:24 PM
Julian, Heinrich and Max explore that area of the sewers for a while longer, but can't see anything suspicious. They decide to return to the inn to meet up with Klaus and Mortus.

When they arrive at the Surprised Goat, Heinrich sees the innkeeper duck behind the bar out of sight.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 22, 2012, 01:13:32 PM
Heinrich is suspicious of the innkeeper's suspicious activity. He will stay by the door keeping an eye out for trouble and alert Julian.

"I got a bad feeling."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 01:17:39 PM
"What's the matter, Heinrich?" Max says, a little too loudly, "are we in danger?"

The bar is fairly quiet - there are two small groups of drinkers (one of three, one of four). As Heinrich watches, the innkeeper (keeping as low as he can) disappears through the door into the kitchen.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 22, 2012, 02:11:07 PM
"Let's go max, Heinrich you stay here. shout if you need us" Julian quickly marches up to the room, intending to pack everything and leave quickly

fear, guilt and anger grip Julian's stomach. He reassures himself again that the doorman had to be silenced, and that he too would be acting like the innkeeper if the situation was reversed.

Upon entering the room, he finds Klaus about to explain to Mortus the room has been searched...
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 04:04:21 PM
Max follows Julian upstairs, and packs his things when told to!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 22, 2012, 05:41:51 PM
"The room has been searched!!!" Klaus says with an urgent tone in his voice and goes through their things and checks if he finds anything missing especially the book we got from Steinhager (did we leave it? What did we leave at the hotel room) if Julian comes up he tells him the same.

"Julian continue to search the room if something is missing I will go and together with Heinrich try to get the Innkeep and the maid for questioning......damn."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 22, 2012, 05:57:01 PM
Julian and Max check the room to see if anything is missing.

(Surely we wouldn't have left stuff of value, medieval inns probably aren't secure. )
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 22, 2012, 07:11:19 PM
OOC: Bloody shirt and the broken money cassettes are not really worth much .....but this is not that bad. If we canīt find him we leave the inn ...hide for the day and after that go on with the plan. If some of the bodyguards are roaming the city for us even better as they wonīt be at the mansion.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 09:56:44 PM
[I can't imagine you left anything much in the room. Maybe nothing! It was still searched anyway. What did Julian do with his bloody clothes? Or Steinhager's cashboxes? Disposed of them?]


"Hello Mortus and Klaus," Max says, "All my things are here, Mr. Julian sir - I just left my bag, my spare clothes and my leather vest. I hope you didn't lose anything sir!"

Nothing seems to be missing. Julian still has the evidence taken from the Steinhager offices, including the spellbook.

"I think we should move to a different inn," Max says, "it's the last day of the Schaffenfest, so a lot of people visiting the town will have already left. We should be able to get a room elsewhere. We could try the Journey's End, where I was staying... or somewhere else. But we aren't safe here." Max realises what he's saying, and looks ashamed. "Oh, I'm sorry - you don't need me to tell you what to do! It's not my place. I'll do whatever you think is best."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 22, 2012, 10:06:14 PM
[I can't imagine you left anything much in the room. Maybe nothing! It was still searched anyway. What did Julian do with his bloody clothes? Or Steinhager's cashboxes? Disposed of them?]

In the sewer!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 22, 2012, 10:12:18 PM
If Heinrich detects no immediate danger, he will confront the innkeeper.

"Why are you hiding from us, good innkeeper? What is going on?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 10:19:29 PM
Heinrich follows the innkeeper into the kitchen. The back door is open, leading out onto the street. The innkeeper is there by himself - he looks ashamed and frightened. Heinrich notices that all the hair has been shaved from both of the halfling's feet, and his left foot also has a bandage on it.

"I'm so sorry, sir. They made me tell them all about you! I didn't want to - it's bad for business - but... they hurt me. One of them was here just now. I had to tell him when you were all here... they'll be coming for you now! Please, you should leave!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 22, 2012, 10:34:21 PM
OOC: I am not sure he is still there.

"Hey there Max....how was your trip? And you werenīt telling us what do to do but just making a suggestion. I aggree we should leave the inn and go somewhere else. If we find the innkeep it would be nice to know what he was looking for...if it even was him but he was looking around the room last time he was in here. I have great news everyone."

Klaus is in a great mood, he avoided drinking any alcohol at the schaffensfest but is still thrilled on the prospect of being rich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 10:56:36 PM
Max's face lights up when Klaus speaks to him in a friendly way, "We had an interesting time, Klaus - we went back into the sewers, and we found a way into Professor Teugen's garden. There was a pipe that went inside his house too, but Heinrich and Mr. Julian wouldn't let me climb up it. I'd love to hear what your news is! But maybe we should hurry? I'm not sure... Heinrich thought there was trouble on the way."

Max frowns, and says, "Klaus, I want to apologize for my childish behaviour last night... father always told me I cried too much. I know you were only trying to help me. I hope you don't think too badly of me."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 22, 2012, 11:12:15 PM
"No need to apologize...I was in pain and therefore a pain in the ass. Lets just forget about it...Mortus common we have to hurry do you need any help? Lets check out what Heinrich and Julian are doing."

Klaus steps to the window and checks the streets, then gathers his leather jerkin and goes downstairs.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 22, 2012, 11:50:59 PM
"No," Mortus says.   She will gather up her stuff, put her share of the gold into her belt pouch and taking up her staff go with Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 22, 2012, 11:53:21 PM
Klaus looks out of the window - the street looks busy, which is normal enough at this time of day. He goes downstairs. Max, Julian and Mortus (having all collected their things, along with anything Heinrich left in the room) go downstairs also.

Heinrich is in the kitchen with the innkeeper.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 22, 2012, 11:58:52 PM
Klaus walks into the kitchen....

"So what is going on here ? Shall we leave?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 12:04:18 AM
Klaus sees the innkeeper apologizing to Heinrich for informing on them to someone, and warning him to leave. Klaus notices the halfling's shaved and injured feet - clearly he'd been persuaded to talk by someone who knew how to hurt a halfling most - and also sees the wide-open back door.

Max has followed Klaus, as he tends to.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 12:08:33 AM
"We should leave through the front door now and seek a place to hide......"

Klaus grabs the hobbit at his vest and shakes him.

"WHO WAS IT!!! Who did this?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 23, 2012, 12:16:18 AM
Heinrich tears Klaus away from the innkeeper.

"We haven't time for this, Klaus. We must go. Everyone out the back door, quickly!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 12:19:10 AM
Klaus leaps out his eyes darting left and right out on the streets he walks with a controlled slow walk to the right.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 12:28:49 AM
"I don't know sir!" the poor halfling wails as Klaus shakes him, "I think they were from the stevedores' guild!"

Heinrich pulls Klaus away - he drops the innkeeper, who falls to the floor, crying out in pain. Heinrich shouts to the group to leave by the back door at once, so they do.

They emerge onto an alley, and are immediately confronted by four men. One - the leader - is an average-sized man with a nasty grin and one empty eyesocket. Beside him is a leering hunchback holding a bloody knife. Backing them up are two enormous men, both shirtless and frighteningly strong.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/thugs.jpg)


"Well," the leader says, "so you're the ones who've been causing all this trouble. Time to put an end to it! Get 'em boys!"

The two shirtless thugs advance on the group.


[Heinrich, Klaus, Julian, Mortus, and Max are all here and are able to act before being attacked]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 23, 2012, 12:55:43 AM
"Max! Your bow!"

Heinrich will shoot the one-eyed man. He will move to intercept anyone trying to attack Max or Mortus, knowing he is much more capable in melee than they are.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 23, 2012, 05:47:06 AM
The sight of a hairless hobbit strikes a chord with Julian, who is obviously able to to see tie the patallels with shaving a dwarf. He slams ten gc on the kitchen counter on their way out, ashamed to have endangered this kindly halfling with their stupidity-they should have left the inn this morning.

Julian wanted to flee the thugs, killing in a street is not instead he arms himself with hammer and axe, shouting 'is it worth it? ' to the thugs and brandishing his weapons menacingly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 05:58:08 AM
Klaus curses under his breath.....he considers blocking the path of one of the thugs that Heinrich and Max can feather them with arrows.....but instead of stepping in the way he moves into a position from which he can flee should the fight turn against them and takes up a defensive position. (If one of them comes towards him he will defend himself  by parrying but he wonīt block the way should the big guy advance past him).
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 09:02:45 AM
The innkeeper thanks Julian as he puts down the money and leaves.

Heinrich raises his bow and shoots at the one-eyed man...

[to hit roll = 04, hit, hits 40 = left arm. Damage = 3 +d6 roll of 6 (extra damage?... no) -T3 = 6. 5 wounds on profile, -1 critical hit. Dice roll = 73]

...the arrow hits him solidly in his left shoulder, shattering the joint and rupturing an artery. Blood sprays from the horrible wound. The man turns and flees.

[he's going to die from his injury]

Max also shoots his bow, aiming for one of the shirtless thugs...

[to hit roll = 31, hit! Hits right arm. Damage = 3 +d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 3 damage.]

... the arrow sinks deeply into the man's enormous arm, and he roars in fury.

Julian and Klaus take up defensive positions.

The hunchback hurls his knife at Heinrich...

[to hit roll = 64, miss]

... but it goes wide and hits the inn door. He draws another, but looks worried by the leader's flight.


The two shirtless thugs have closed the distance and attack. One goes for Klaus...

[to hit roll = 22, hit, hits right arm. Damage = S5 + d6 roll of 4 [Klaus uses Luck for -1) - T2 -1 armour = 5 damage.]

...Klaus tries to block the attack with his club...

[parry attempt = 08, succeeds, reduce damage by d6 = 6, no damage. Klaus can't attack]

...and succeeds. The thug's club clashes against Klaus's, to no effect.

The other thug attacks Julian...

[to hit roll = 17, hit, hits 71 = body. Damage = S5 + d6 roll of 1 - T6 - armour 1 = 0!]

...he hits him, but Julian steps back and the blow only skims across his chest.

Julian strikes back with his axe and hammer...

[to hit (main hand) = 44, hit, hits left arm. Damage = 2 + d6 roll of 3 - T5 = 0]

[to hit (off hand, -10 WS) = 95, miss]

...but his axe only scratches the thug's arm.


Mortus can still act this round.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 23, 2012, 09:17:34 AM
Heinrich will put an arrow into the knife thrower when it comes around again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 02:38:32 PM
Mortus will hurl herself at one of the large men, screaming at the top of her voice and swinging her staff like a club
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 02:56:54 PM
Klaus will continue to block the attacks of the thug slowly giving ground and retreating from him with a very slight....barely noticeable turning to the side so that after several steps the back of the thug will be towards Heinrich. Klaus will also distract the big guy by mocking him.

"Ha looks like your boss is done, but donīt worry Heinrich will feather you next....he likes to kill fugly idiots like you with a passion."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 03:20:36 PM
Mortus attacks one of the thugs with her staff, shouting an incomprehensible warcry! He's busy fighting Klaus and doesn't see her in time to move, but even so the blow bounces harmlessly off his massive shoulders...

[Mortus secretly casts sleep! 2 magic points used. WP test for thug against 32... dice roll = 94, failed! Falls asleep for d6 turns (secret roll)]

...yet it must have hit harder than it seemed to, since the thug crumples at the knees and collapses on the floor, completely unconscious!

[No one knows Mortus cast a spell, though perhaps they wonder what language her war cry was in... However, Max knows the magical language and may have noticed what she did. Initiative test for Max...(secret result!)]

The next round begins. Julian is still in combat with a thug, who has lost 3 wounds to Max's arrow. The hunchback is also still here. The other thug is asleep, and the leader had fled/died of blood loss. Next round coming up!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 03:27:28 PM
Mortus will keep hammering at the thug that has fallen though she will try and knock him out completely rather than kill him.   If she kills him she is not that worried.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 03:30:39 PM
If the fight continues being so onesided Klaus will try to help out to catch one of them alive for questioning it would be very interesting to find out who ordered them to attack and how they found out that the group are the "troublemakers"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 03:48:02 PM
[Next round.]

The hunchback hurls another knife at Heinrich, moving with surprising speed...

[to hit roll = 27, hit. Hits 72 = body. S5 + damage roll of 1 - armour 1 - T5 = 0 damage]

...it hits him in the chest, but glances harmlessly off his mail shirt. He responds by shooting at the hunchback...

[to hit roll = 22, hit. Hits right arm. Damage = 3 + damage roll of 4 - T4 = 3 wounds]

... the arrow sticks in his arm. Max also shoots at the hunchback, since the thugs are too close to his friends to risk it...

[to hit roll = 19, hits 91 = right leg. Damage = 3 + damage roll of 6! (extra damage?... 35... almost, but no) - T4 = 5 damage]

[the hunchback has taken 8 wounds damage so far]

...Max's arrow slams into the hunchback's leg, and he falls over...

...and disappears into the air, like smoke. Max drops his bow in astonishment [failed Cl test on 97] and stares at the empty space where the hunchback was. Two arrows are lying on the ground.


Mortus brings her heavy staff down two-handed on the unconscious thug's head.

[Prone target = auto hit, may choose hit location. Damage = S4 + (damage roll of 4)*2 - T5 = 7 wounds caused]

It splits his scalp messily, but doesn't wake him up and doesn't kill him either.


Julian is fighting the injured thug.

[to hit (main hand) = 05, hit, hits left arm. Damage = S2 +d6 roll of 4 - T5 = 1 wound]
[to hit (off hand, -10 WS) = 91, miss]

Klaus sees a chance to attack the thug Julian is fighting without exposing himself to attack, and takes it. He lashes out with his club...

[to hit roll = 29, hit, hits 92 = right leg. S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 3 wounds caused]

... and whacks the thug painfully on the kneecap.

[total of 7 wounds on the thug so far]

The thug attacks Julian...

[to hit roll = 62 = miss]

... but is used to fighting larger opponents than the dwarf, and swings over his head.

[Cl test for thug to fight on...02 = pass]

[next round]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 03:59:12 PM
[Next round]

Klaus hits the thug again, trying to knock him out...

[to hit = 43 (hits due to +10 WS for winning combat) = hits right arm. damage = S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 3 wounds caused]

...but somehow clocks him on the arm instead. It drives the arrow deeper in, and he roars with pain.

Julian attacks him again...

[main hand = 19 = hit, hits right leg. S2 + d6 roll of 5 - T5 = 1 wound, = -1 critical hit! Dice roll = 55]

...his axe cuts into the thug's shin, and shatters the bones. He falls to the ground with a tremendous crash, drops his club, and is helpless.


Both thugs have now been incapacitated: one is conscious but with a badly broken leg, the other is unconscious.

Combat over!


"Stop," the thug with the broken leg shouts, "I give in! They ain't payin' me enough for this!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 23, 2012, 04:02:22 PM
Heinrich, manscle that fallen thug!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 04:05:36 PM
Mortus will walk over to the wounded thug and gently place her staff against his broken leg.   Her eyes are narrowed and her entire face and body seems tense and angry.

"I dislike getting jumped in backstreets," she says coldly.   "Who sent you?"   She will press down slightly on the staff
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 04:17:30 PM
"He... he just vanished!" Max says, still staring at the two arrows on the ground. Shakily, he picks up his bow. "I shot two of them! Did you see that, Klaus?"

Heinrich locks manacles around the wrists of each of the thugs. Julian nods approvingly.

Mortus sets her staff against the broken leg of one of the thugs, and questions him while pressing down painfully...

[Interrogation test (no torture... yet) = WP test. Thug rolls 64 = fail]

"Aaaaah!" he yells, "stop it! Gurney sent us!"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 04:21:59 PM
"Gurney?" Mortus asks.   Her entire face is twisted cruelly now.   "Who is Gurney?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 04:27:29 PM
"Boss of the stevedores' guild of course! We're guilders. Gurney says to rough you lot up so we came to do it. I don't know nothin' else, you crazy bitch!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 04:35:59 PM
"Crazy bitch is it?" Mortus asks, pressing down slightly more on her staff.   "I'll show you crazy bitch if you want.   Where will I find Gurney at this hour of the day."   She presses down harder again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 04:40:44 PM
The thug screams. Any more pressure and Mortus is likely to cause serious damage. "At the guild! Go to the guild! Stop it!"


The halfling innkeeper limps out of his inn, "Oh my, you beat them! And they were such huge men! What happened to that hunchback? He was the one who tortured me."

"He vanished, sir," Max says, "I think he must have been an evil wizard. Don't worry though - I shot him first!"

"He vanished? Oh dear... this is terrible. And I think some of my customers might have gone to alert the watch. Maybe you should run? Or if you want to stay and talk to the watchmen, I'll speak in your defense!"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 04:51:08 PM
Mortus pauses and then eases the pressure.

"We should go to the guild," she says.   "Find out who took out the contract.   I would like to find out who is trying to kill me."   Then she pauses.   "Maybe there will be a lot of thugs like this fool (increases the pressure just enough to make him scream) at the guild and I have no desire to fight again today."   She turns to Max and her face softens.
"You studied in the university.   What the hell would make a man disappear?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 05:06:36 PM
Max looks pleased that Mortus is asking his opinion, "I should say he was a wizard, Mortus! Though I didn't hear him say a spell, and I think all wizards need to speak to use their magic - I know the magical language of course, as I've said, so I'd have noticed that. So perhaps he had a magic ring or something of that sort, like people have in stories? Something that made him vanish when he twisted it on his finger? I bet Professor Teugen is behind this - I knew he was a sorcerer!

"Should we wait for the watch? I feel as though we ought to, really - it would be criminal to run away, and anyway we were the ones who were attacked. But I'm not sure... what if we ended up back at the Festival Court? They'd whip me for sure... that would be dreadful!" He shudders at the thought, and starts looking nervously up and down the alley.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 23, 2012, 05:47:24 PM
"What shooting, max! You better be careful no captain sees you, or you will be drafted into the archer militia for sure" Julian teases Max, praising him and aiming to ease some tension at the same time.

"I don't think we should stay for the watch, our faces are already too well known. I fear that my presence in the group makes us even more conspicous. I think we should change inn, buy new clothes and head to the guild office. Although my instincts tell me we should try to keep quiet for at least a few hours."

"Heinrich can recover his manacles and we can leave these for the watch."

Julian turns to the halfling innkeeper. "I am dreadfully sorry for the trouble we have caused you. I hope I can return here for some of that breakfast Ale, sometime" Julian bows deeply.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 06:18:55 PM
Mortus will give the innkeeper two gold crowns over the price of the room when they leave

"An artist like you should not have to suffer because of your guests," she says
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 06:32:36 PM
"Who was that one eyed guy and who was that hunchback and why did he disappear?" Klaus asks the conscious thug with an urgent voice...as soon as he hears the answer he runs away calling out Max and the others to follow him. "We have to leave before the guard comes....hurry now."

OOC: I am cooking some food for the weib and cleaning the kitchen so klaus wonīt be around for about an hour I guess you guys know what Klaus would do in certain situations well enough so you donīt have to wait for me.

Fantastic storyline so far Rufus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 23, 2012, 08:54:11 PM
Heinrich shakes his head. He collects what arrows he can, giving half to Max.

"Someone will have to stay to explain to the watch what happened. Otherwise they will have only this clown's word against the word of a halfling. I would rather not risk a racist guardsman. I will stay with Max and talk to them, and then we will catch up with you. Julian, show me on the map where you are going, and I will meet you there."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 23, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
"No Heinrich, Max and Mortus should come with me now if Heinrich wants to play the Sheriff fine....no need to risk any one else being captured and punished for being attacked the guards and the law in this town seem pretty quick with the whip. The Magistrate might even be a member of the Ordo. So Max....lets go. Mortus I suggest you join us. If the gods are just we meet each other at the house of Teugen this night."

With this Klaus will leave and use his knowledge of how to disappear best in the the side streets of a town hoping that max and Mortus follow him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 10:09:16 PM
Mortus will follow Klaus.   She has no desire to get caught up with the law
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 23, 2012, 11:03:59 PM
Max is very pleased by Julian's comment, even if he is teasing him a little. "Thank you, Mr. Julian sir! I've never shot anyone before - I didn't think I could! But it was self-defence... wasn't it? Maybe I committed a crime?" He looks uncertain. "If I did I should tell the watch. Shouldn't I?"

Julian and Mortus both thank the innkeeper again. "You're welcome, sir, madam," he says warmly, "I feel a lot better now those thugs have been dealt with! I'd be happy to have you stay at my inn again sometime."


Klaus asks the thug who the one-eyed man and the hunchback were.

"Ivan's our supervisor," he says, "never met the hunchback before - came along special for this job. Gurney said he knew where to find you lot, and he did right enough. He knew how to make that little rat talk too. Right vicious bastard! What d'you mean disappear? Run for it, did he?"


Klaus, Mortus and Julian all intend to leave, while Heinrich plans to wait for the watch. Max looks from Heinrich to Klaus, unable to decide who to obey.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 23, 2012, 11:15:10 PM
What are you going to say to the watch if we are not here, that you managed to beat 3 people in a fight? What happens when these thugs contradict you? ?I don't feel like we can trust the law.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 23, 2012, 11:56:38 PM
If Max hasn't followed them when they are leaving Mortus will shout at him.

"Come on Max, we can sort this out with the Guard when we know who is involved.   One corrupt guard and you would need Sigmar to save you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 12:03:41 AM
Max listens to Julian and Mortus, and an anguished expression comes onto his face.

"But if we can't trust the law... who can we trust? But then again, what about our mission? Heinrich, if we stay here we might end up in a cell or we might get whipped, and either way we wouldn't be able to help the others investigate the cult this evening. What if the town if destroyed because we weren't there to save it? We have to leave. Please come too, Heinrich... I'm going with Klaus and the others, but as soon as we've sorted out the cult I'm going to turn myself in to the watch and take whatever punishment I have coming to me."

Max tries his hardest to convince Heinrich to come with them, but if he won't then Max, Klaus, Julian and Mortus escape into the backstreets without him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 01:19:44 AM
"I'm sure the innkeeper will confirm my story. You lot go, I'll catch up."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 09:00:13 AM
Max looks upset that Heinrich won't join them, and seems to be about to change his mind... But Klaus and Mortus are already leaving. He and Julian go after them, and are easily able to escape the scene. They stop in another alley a safe distance away to decide what to do next - Julian already suggested buying new clothes, which seems sensible.

"What if they arrest Heinrich?" Max says wretchedly, "we at least need to know where they take him. I could try to follow them... I could leave my weapons with you and disguise myself as... uh... as a street urchin! I... I know, I'll rub some mud on my clothes and go barefoot! Everyone always thinks I'm a child anyway. And Heinrich showed me how to follow someone without them seeing you... I could do it!"


[Cannon]

Heinrich waits calmly for the watch to arrive. After a few more minutes, a four-man patrol emerge from the inn, led by one of the customers Heinrich saw in there earlier. The watch sergeant looks at the two huge thugs - one moaning and bleeding from his broken leg, the other still unconscious. "So," he says to Heinrich, "who are you and what happened here?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 09:51:26 AM
Heinrich waits calmly for the watch to arrive. After a few more minutes, a four-man patrol emerge from the inn, led by one of the customers Heinrich saw in there earlier. The watch sergeant looks at the two huge thugs - one moaning and bleeding from his broken leg, the other still unconscious. "So," he says to Heinrich, "who are you and what happened here?"

"My name is Heinrich. I am an Independent bounty hunter out of Altdorf, here for the Shaffenfest. My friends and I have been staying at this inn for the last two nights. We returned today to find our room had been searched, and I noticed the innkeeper acting strangely. When I confronted him he informed us that some men had been sent to find us, and that we were in grave danger. Taking his advice we attempted to flee out this back entrance, and were promptly ambushed by these two thugs, plus a man with one eye, who I gravely wounded, and another small man who ... got away. We subdued these men, and I waited with them for you so that I might explain what happened. My companions have gone on to find a new inn, as we obviously cannot stay here if it is going to this good innkeeper in further danger. When we questioned these men they claimed to have been sent by someone named Gurney of the Stevedores guild. I am not familiar with the name, and I cannot say why he would want us harmed, but perhaps you can get some more information from these two. The other one I shot was very badly wounded, and if you like we can follow his blood trail and find him. He can't have gone far. Also, would it be possible to have my manacles back, if you have your own with which to secure these men?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 10:17:37 AM
The patrol sergeant listens carefully. Then he says to the innkeeper, "Is this true, halfling?"

"Oh yes, sir," the innkeeper says, "this man and his friends have been staying at my inn for the last two nights. Today, these two thugs, a one-eyed man and a hunchback came into my inn and dragged me into the kitchen. They demanded I tell them all about this man and his friends, and when I refused the hunchback shaved all the hair from my feet." He looks distraught as he says this. "When I still refused, the hunchback heated his knife in my kitchen fire and burned my foot until I couldn't refuse anymore. They searched the room this man was staying in, and then waited for them to return to the inn so they could ambush them. There was a fight in the alley that the thugs started... they got the worst of it, but I swear by Mother Esmeralda's Divine Kitchen that this man and his friends acted in self defence."

The sergeant raises his eyebrows at the halfling's story. Heinrich thought he saw him sneer with contempt at the halfling's distress over losing his foot-hair.

He turns to his men, who have been examining the scene. "Two men injured, sir - both dockland scum by the look of them. One unconscious and bleeding from his head, the other has a badly-broken leg and an arrow in his arm. There's also a blood-trail leading off around the corner."

"Follow it. Now," the sergeant says to the thug with the broken leg, "what do you have to say for yourself?"

"Just mindin' me own lawful business, sir, when this bastard attacked me an' my pals. This one shot the boss, and some kid shot me. A crazy tart smashed Hugo there on the head, and a bloody dwarf did my leg in with an axe. They all want lockin' up, sir!"

"I see."

A guard returns from following the blood trail. "We've got a dead one round there sir: bled out with an arrow in his shoulder. One-eyed man - I've seen him at the stevedore's guild before, making trouble. Ivan's his name."

The sergeant looks at Heinrich again. "You admit to killing this Ivan?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 11:34:59 AM
The patrol sergeant listens carefully. Then he says to the innkeeper, "Is this true, halfling?"

"Oh yes, sir," the innkeeper says, "this man and his friends have been staying at my inn for the last two nights. Today, these two thugs, a one-eyed man and a hunchback came into my inn and dragged me into the kitchen. They demanded I tell them all about this man and his friends, and when I refused the hunchback shaved all the hair from my feet." He looks distraught as he says this. "When I still refused, the hunchback heated his knife in my kitchen fire and burned my foot until I couldn't refuse anymore. They searched the room this man was staying in, and then waited for them to return to the inn so they could ambush them. There was a fight in the alley that the thugs started... they got the worst of it, but I swear by Mother Esmeralda's Divine Kitchen that this man and his friends acted in self defence."

The sergeant raises his eyebrows at the halfling's story. Heinrich thought he saw him sneer with contempt at the halfling's distress over losing his foot-hair.

He turns to his men, who have been examining the scene. "Two men injured, sir - both dockland scum by the look of them. One unconscious and bleeding from his head, the other has a badly-broken leg and an arrow in his arm. There's also a blood-trail leading off around the corner."

"Follow it. Now," the sergeant says to the thug with the broken leg, "what do you have to say for yourself?"

"Just mindin' me own lawful business, sir, when this bastard attacked me an' my pals. This one shot the boss, and some kid shot me. A crazy tart smashed Hugo there on the head, and a bloody dwarf did my leg in with an axe. They all want lockin' up, sir!"

"I see."

A guard returns from following the blood trail. "We've got a dead one round there sir: bled out with an arrow in his shoulder. One-eyed man - I've seen him at the stevedore's guild before, making trouble. Ivan's his name."

The sergeant looks at Heinrich again. "You admit to killing this Ivan?"

"I admit to putting an arrow in him when he and his goons tried to kill me and my friends, yes."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 04:46:02 PM
"I see. It's unfortunate that your friends didn't stay around to back up your story. Since there has been a death,  I think we'll have to bring this before the magistrate. I assume you will be willing to accompany us to the festival court. You may have your manacles back - we'll provide our own for these two."

The two thugs are hauled to their feet - the unconscious one has a bucket of filthy water tipped on his head, and a makeshift crutch is found for the one with the broken leg. They are then lead towards the Festival Court by the patrol. Heinrich and the innkeeper go with them.

The court is enjoying a final flurry of activity as the final hours of the Schaffenfest wind down. Both stocks are occupied, and their miserable occupants are being pelted by a crowd. There's also a man chained to the whipping post. He looks unconscious, but revives suddenly as an especially powerful lash spatters the nearest members of the crowd with blood.

They have to wait a few minutes for the last case to end. Once inside, Heinrich recognises Herbert the unfriendly law clerk, but the magistrate is new. He's a shrunken, bald man with a nose like a vulture's beak.

The participants give their names for the record, and then tell their stories to the court: first Heinrich, then the halfling, then the two thugs.

"What is your assessment of the situation, sergeant?" the magistrate says.

"My patrol and I were alerted to a fight in progress behind the Surprised Goat Inn by a patron, and arrived to find the incident already over. These two men - both dockland scum - were lying incapacitated on the floor. One had a badly-broken leg and an arrow in one arm, the other was unconscious and bleeding from the head. The bounty hunter was standing over them, having manacled both. A third man - known to us, a dock supervisor called Ivan - was found dead around the corner, having died of the bounty-hunter's arrow. The halfling was also on the scene, having witnessed the events. No sign was found of the hunchback who the halfling claims tortured him.

"Considering that Ivan is a known criminal, and these two are obviously likewise criminals, I believe the bounty-hunter's story. I am however suspicious that his four friends left the scene: I suspect them to be guilty of other crimes, or they would have remained with the bounty-hunter."

The magistrate nods coldly. "The two stevedores are doubtless guilty, but are currently not fit to face punishment. Take them to the cells: they are to receive such medical care as they require, and will be sentenced at a later date. The halfling may also leave, with the thanks of the court."

He then looks at Heinrich, "While it is likely that you and your friends were attacked, it is my finding that you used unreasonable force against your attackers: a man is dead, and two others badly hurt - a fourth, not found, may also be injured. Furthermore your four friends left the scene of the crime: an offense in itself, and a clear sign of guilt.

"The court recognises the service you performed for it two days ago. Yet I am also aware that you were involved in a brawl yesterday, where you took the law into your own hands. You were warned about your behaviour then, and were let off with a fine. I find that you now deserve more serious punishment. Your accomplices, when they are found, will also face sever consequences. Have you anything to say before sentence is passed?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 24, 2012, 05:25:09 PM
After putting several hundred yards behind him he tries to find a place that is off the main roads and away from open ears Klaus turns to the others.

"Ok.....this man going up in smoke....didnīt you say the demon in the sewers also disappeared after it was slain by you? I imagine they summoned it to find us....and there might be other demons coming for us. Should we seperate the rest of the day or stick together?

Someone should shadow Teugen and find out what he is up to and where he is going, I plan on shadowing Franz Steinhager after meeting up with Greta it would be helpful if someone checks if he is at his office and also follows him from now. Have you found out anything in the sewers? Max if you want to you can join me and I will show you some tricks how to hide yourself better in the night...I have lamp black and I suggest we all put it on as soon as the night has come. I also have some caltrops and a stinkbomb to make sure our route of retreat will be hard to follow. Oh I almost forgot because of the ambush. Should we find out what they are up to maybe even get some proof we will be rewarded royaly 1000 gold pieces for each one of us. Mortus, Julian, Heinrich, Max and me......5000 gold crowns." Klaus face lightens up with a wide smile as he thinks about the money. If we canīt get proof we should abduct one of the lesser members of the Ordo and my contact will torture him to find out what we need to know.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 05:33:10 PM
"Demons! It's so exciting!

"I'll stay with you Klaus - I'd love to learn anything you can teach me! I'll do whatever you say as soon as you say it. I won't get in your way.

"Do you think Heinrich will be fine then? I suppose it's too late to follow him now anyway... I hope he is alright. It will be my fault if something happens to him.

"Oh, yes, we found a way into Professor Teugen's house from the sewers - it goes into the bottom of his garden, into a shed. Or I could climb up the other pipe into his house. The meeting is at his house, isn't it? Where does he work during the day?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 06:47:57 PM
"I certainly understand and respect your judgement. I can only offer that my friends fled in the fear that more thugs might arrive. I being most capable of self defense stayed behind. That is all."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 09:52:21 PM
The magistrate nods. "That may well be the case. However, it does not excuse your behaviour. You are sentenced to-"

At that moment an armoured man bursts into the court, accompanied by two guards. "Where is Magistrate Ricter? I want to speak to him immediately."

The magistrate stands at once, a look of outrage on his face. "Sir Martin, this is most irregular. I was about to pass sentence on a criminal."

Sir Martin waves the objection aside. "That is no concern of mine. Who are you? Why is Ricter not here?"

"Councillor Ricter has been suddenly taken ill, Sir Martin. He had taken to his bed and can see no one. I am Magistrate Gorvintz. Now, I will be very happy to help you with anything you need, if you will kindly leave until this case is over."

"I'm not interested in speaking to you, Gorvintz. I have important business with Ricter and cannot be delayed. What's wrong with him, for Sigmar's sake? I spoke to him last night and he was as fit as a hunting hound."

Gorvintz's face has turned red with fury. He glares at Heinrich, as though holding him responsible. "Sir Martin, I am not a physician. Neither am I a servant, and I will not be disrespected in my own courtroom!"

"Oh, be quiet man. If you can't help me I'll go and find Ricter out at his home. You can get back to bullying illiterate wretches if that's what you enjoy... hold on a moment, I know you" Sir Martin looks at Heinrich and nods. "Yes, you were with that hysterical fellow yesterday... he was called Kurt or something like that. You were outside with a dwarf and a disrespectful boy. I want to speak to you. Come with me!" He gestures to his guards, who advance towards Heinrich, clearly intending to take him into custody.

"You will not remove my prisoner!" Gorvintz screams, "I have not passed sentence!"

"You can have him back when I'm finished. If you don't like it, take it up with the baron."

Sir Martin marches out of the court. The guards lead Heinrich out after him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 24, 2012, 10:02:54 PM
"We need to find a new inn and buy new clothes, I think. You want someone to trail Teugen, but where will we find him? what is this Greta going to do for us. We can get into Teugen's garden, but surely the meeting will be in some sort of secured room?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 10:10:35 PM
Heinrich is relieved to have escaped a flogging, but he remembers that this man was responsible for Klaus and Max's new scars, so he still has a great degree of trepidation.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
Heinrich is led back to Sir Martin's tent. Sir Martin sits behind his desk, but doesn't give Heinrich leave to sit. He dismisses the guards. "You are a bounty hunter I believe. Your friend Kurt had quite a story to tell me... and against my better judgement, I believed it enough to send some men to investigate. When it seemed there was no evidence, I felt that I had been mocked... but then the dwarf swore an oath that the man's claims were true, and the boy seemed equally earnest. It troubled me.

"The man deserved his flogging anyway, as did the boy. I am sure you will agree with that." Sir Martin's tone makes it very clear he doesn't care what Heinrich thinks at all. "Nevertheless, I have a duty to the baron to investigate any threat to his holdings, no mater how unlikely. I spoke to Magistrate Ricter, and he told me a very suspicious tale about a mutant goblin that was apparently killed twice, in two different places. The story about the goblin dying in a warehouse came directly to him from the city watch, and yet your friend the dwarf had the goblin's pelvis and claimed to have found it in the sewer... in a suspicious room, which certainly exists. Ricter intended to see the warehouse for himself that evening, to determine what had really been killed there if not the goblin. I came to the court today to see him, and find him suddenly taken ill... this is a conspiracy, and you and your friends are bound up in it.

"Tell me what you know. Leave nothing out, or you will be comparing stripes with your friend Kurt."


[you don't have to write it all out in full if you don't want. You can just say Heinrich explains about x, y and z.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 24, 2012, 11:08:03 PM
"We need to find a new inn and buy new clothes, I think. You want someone to trail Teugen, but where will we find him? what is this Greta going to do for us. We can get into Teugen's garden, but surely the meeting will be in some sort of secured room?"

"You're right Mr. Julian sir, Professor Teugen is sure to have a cellar or someplace like that without windows to hold the meeting in. I really think I should climb up the sewer pipe into his house, and then maybe I'll be able to find the room and overhear them. I could do it - I'm not a child!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 24, 2012, 11:47:44 PM
Heinrich is led back to Sir Martin's tent. Sir Martin sits behind his desk, but doesn't give Heinrich leave to sit. He dismisses the guards. "You are a bounty hunter I believe. Your friend Kurt had quite a story to tell me... and against my better judgement, I believed it enough to send some men to investigate. When it seemed there was no evidence, I felt that I had been mocked... but then the dwarf swore an oath that the man's claims were true, and the boy seemed equally earnest. It troubled me.

"The man deserved his flogging anyway, as did the boy. I am sure you will agree with that." Sir Martin's tone makes it very clear he doesn't care what Heinrich thinks at all. "Nevertheless, I have a duty to the baron to investigate any threat to his holdings, no mater how unlikely. I spoke to Magistrate Ricter, and he told me a very suspicious tale about a mutant goblin that was apparently killed twice, in two different places. The story about the goblin dying in a warehouse came directly to him from the city watch, and yet your friend the dwarf had the goblin's pelvis and claimed to have found it in the sewer... in a suspicious room, which certainly exists. Ricter intended to see the warehouse for himself that evening, to determine what had really been killed there if not the goblin. I came to the court today to see him, and find him suddenly taken ill... this is a conspiracy, and you and your friends are bound up in it.

"Tell me what you know. Leave nothing out, or you will be comparing stripes with your friend Kurt."


[you don't have to write it all out in full if you don't want. You can just say Heinrich explains about x, y and z.]

Heinrich gives every detail, explaining how they first discovered the strange room while looking for the goblin, the demon within, the secret door that leads to Steinhager's office, their investigation of that office and the notes they found detailing the meeting, some sort of sacrifice, and Teugen's involvement, as well as Ruggbroder's approaching them for help through Klaus. He also relates his suspicions of a smuggling ring beneath the Crossed Pikes, which might somehow be related, and how they were attacked by men from the stevedores guild, which led to his arrest. He ends by explaining they had planned to eavesdrop on this meeting, and that they had found a back entrance into Teugen's property.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 25, 2012, 05:16:19 AM
OOC: Heinrich doesnīt know who with the Ruggbroders asked us for help so most he can tell is that Klaus wanted to ask the Ruggbroders for help he has not spoken with Klaus yet about the involvement ofo the Ruggbroders and the order to eavesdrop.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 25, 2012, 06:18:10 AM
OOC: Heinrich doesnīt know who with the Ruggbroders asked us for help so most he can tell is that Klaus wanted to ask the Ruggbroders for help he has not spoken with Klaus yet about the involvement ofo the Ruggbroders and the order to eavesdrop.

Liar.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 25, 2012, 06:40:47 AM
Mortus will buy new clothes, something non discript in brown or a dark blue.   She will not leave the group thoug
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 25, 2012, 09:09:56 AM
"I am not sure it is safe to walk around town with the watch possibly looking for us, changing of clothes would help getting them off our trail though especially if we are quick about it. Greta is a bodyguard of the Ruggbroders who might help us identifying the people attending as she is from Bogenhafen and knows all the local celebrities, also I am pretty sure she can kick ass should it come to a fight. Hmmm it is great that we can enter the Teugen property by not going over the walls or going in through the gate I think accessing the villa via the sewers, sneaking into a position from where we can eavesdrop on the conversation for example with this fantastic item." Klaus produces the cooper horn with which he should be able to listen to a conversation through a wall. "we should be able to gather enough infromation and bring it to the Ruggbroders and become rich....filthy filthy filthy rich! I also have some equipment that will help us should we be detected by guards but we should plan our escape route ahead and some signal that tells everyone involved when the time is ripe to run. Hmmm maybe Max should check the pipe and where he would come out carefully perhaps from there we might be able to find out where they have their meeting. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 10:46:34 AM
Sir Martin nods grimly as he listens to Heinrich's story. "The baron has neglected the town for too long. He has allowed the merchants to take over, and they have made it a rat's nest. The merchants control the town watch as well as the criminal organizations, and I must be cautious not to act carelessly. I cannot simply march into the town with my men. But I am convinced that there is enough truth to your story to make it worth pushing for absolute proof. If the conspiracy is exposed, the guilty parties will be swept away and the baron will be forced to take a firm hand. As a man of the law yourself I am certain you can see the benefits of direct rule by the baron.

"Proceed in your investigations. Spy on the secret meeting tonight, and identify the participants. Discover what they are planning and report back to me tomorrow morning. Do this and you will be well rewarded - I am a harsh man, bounty hunter, but I am true to my word. You will not be betrayed.

"I expect Gorvintz has given your description - and those of your companions, if he has them - to the town watch by now, and ordered that you be arrested. I suggest that you avoid arrest until you have accomplished your mission. However, I do expect that you and your companions turn yourselves in once this business is over, and face your lawful punishment. If you do not I will have you hunted like dogs. You may leave now."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 25, 2012, 10:59:51 AM
Klaus has an excellent idea and uses his lamp black to dye his blond hair black and if possible we should buy some other clothes at the next possible location. Is there a shop nearby?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 11:04:22 AM
Klaus, Mortus, Julian and Max quickly buy new clothes [at a cost of 5 crowns each: you can of course keep your current clothes too!], and find another inn to stay at: they choose the Sundered Dog, on Langen Stasse, behind the Carpenters' Guild. It's in a rough area of town, and not far from the point where the sewers go above ground and run through the streets. It should be easy to enter the sewers unnoticed, and use them to reach Teugen's house, if that's what they intend.

In their room at the inn, they all change into their new clothes and decide what to do about the secret meeting. Klaus talks first [see the post above]. Max is very keen to climb the pipe into Teugen's house, if the others will let him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 25, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Sir Martin nods grimly as he listens to Heinrich's story. "The baron has neglected the town for too long. He has allowed the merchants to take over, and they have made it a rat's nest. The merchants control the town watch as well as the criminal organizations, and I must be cautious not to act carelessly. I cannot simply march into the town with my men. But I am convinced that there is enough truth to your story to make it worth pushing for absolute proof. If the conspiracy is exposed, the guilty parties will be swept away and the baron will be forced to take a firm hand. As a man of the law yourself I am certain you can see the benefits of direct rule by the baron.

"Proceed in your investigations. Spy on the secret meeting tonight, and identify the participants. Discover what they are planning and report back to me tomorrow morning. Do this and you will be well rewarded - I am a harsh man, bounty hunter, but I am true to my word. You will not be betrayed.

"I expect Gorvintz has given your description - and those of your companions, if he has them - to the town watch by now, and ordered that you be arrested. I suggest that you avoid arrest until you have accomplished your mission. However, I do expect that you and your companions turn yourselves in once this business is over, and face your lawful punishment. If you do not I will have you hunted like dogs. You may leave now."

"Thank you, My Lord, I will not dissapoint you."

Heinrich leaves, and immediately makes an effort to find and purchase a large hooded cloak at the shaffenfest to hide his face and then proceeds to find his companions, keeping as well hidden as he can without drawing suspicion. If Heinrich is unsuccessful in locating them, he will go to the sewers and follow the same path he took earlier with Julian to get to the back entrance to Teugen's.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 12:51:48 PM
Heinrich buys a suitable cloak [3 gold crowns] and then heads into town, being careful to avoid looking suspicious. Fortunately, the town is still packed with visitors from all over The Empire, so the watch will be unlikely to find him any time soon.

Heinrich goes to the general area he indicated to Julian on the map earlier, and soon manages to find the inn where the others are staying [convenient, I know!].

The entire group are now in their room at the new inn, discussing their plan for investigating the meeting. There are two hours before dusk, and the meeting starts one hour after that.

Klaus has used the lamp black to make his hair darker, and Max has copied him: without his bright ginger hair he looks much less conspicuous.


[Right, time to plan your exciting secret mission! I'm ready when you are.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 25, 2012, 12:59:23 PM
"Ahh Heinrich how great that you are back, how was it wit the watch? Lets check how we best infiltrate this secret meeting and come out of it alive to profit from our findings, I already told the others that we will be rewarded royally should we succeed 1000 crowns for each and everyone part of the mission. I suggest we split up in two teams the Teugen and the Steinhager team, without you I would have taken Max with me but as you are around he should go with you, maybe Julian should join Greta and me and Mortus should also accompany you. I think the plan of Max entering the building has some merit but perhaps the danger is too great. IF there is another room under the house and this room has no access except through the house it will be hard to eavesdrop on them no matter what. 'Worst case would be to abduct one of the members on their way back to their homes after the meeting."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 01:19:41 PM
"Heinrich!" Max says, "I'm so glad you're well! It was wrong of me to flee the scene of the crime - you were right to trust in the law after all. Should I go and turn myself in now? If they let you go then surely they will let me go too, and then I wouldn't have to worry I was about to be arrested all the time."

He thinks about it for a moment, and then says, "No, I'll turn myself in tomorrow. We have to save the town from demons first or none of this will matter. Klaus, I think your plan is very clever, and I will try my hardest not to fail you. I really think I should go into the house through the sewer pipe - it might be our best chance to find out what's going on. Kidnapping someone sounds dreadful... I'd hate to be involved in that."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 25, 2012, 10:54:48 PM
"I'm not sure we even need to follow them, now that Julian has found us a way into Teugen's manor. We should expose as few of us to danger as possible. Only one of us needs to go to spy on this meeting."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 10:57:10 PM
"Only one of us? But surely we all need to contribute!" Max says, "Please don't leave me out, Heinrich!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 25, 2012, 11:21:16 PM
"Only one of us? But surely we all need to contribute!" Max says, "Please don't leave me out, Heinrich!"
"I'm not suggesting any of you be left out. Certainly there are plenty of things the rest can investigate. Breaking into that warehouse where the goblin was 'killed' for example, or Teugen's office."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 25, 2012, 11:35:04 PM
Max looks uncertain, but clearly doesn't want to contradict Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 25, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
"I was in the warehouse where the goblin was killed," Mortus says.   "I could lead somebody back there.   It might be worth checking out but I'm not going alone.   Maybe me Julian and Heinrich should check that out while Kluas, Greta and Max spy on the meeting"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 12:01:20 AM
"What did you see in the warehouse, Mortus?" Max asks, "did it look as though there was anything else to be learned there?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 26, 2012, 10:27:16 AM
"Not really," Mortus admits.   "Just some brownish blood in a warehouse full of empty crates.   Do you think we should try and kidnap a member on the way to the meeting rather than after it.   Having one of their members missing might disrupt them a little and buy us more time."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 26, 2012, 10:35:33 AM
"Not really," Mortus admits.   "Just some brownish blood in a warehouse full of empty crates.   Do you think we should try and kidnap a member on the way to the meeting rather than after it.   Having one of their members missing might disrupt them a little and buy us more time."

"Or cause them to become even more cautious. There is no guarantee that we could get any information out of anyone we kidnap, and it's a very risky proposition in the first place. No, we need to eavesdrop on the meeting, and I'm most capable of doing that without being discovered. This also exposes much fewer of us to risk.

I'd still like someone to more thoroughly examine that warehouse. Perhaps Julian would be able to tell if there are any hidden rooms."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 26, 2012, 10:59:31 AM
"Maybe we should follow different people then.   Move in pairs and take 1 person each?"   Mortus says.   "I don't like the idea of you or anybody being that outnumbered by chaos people."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 26, 2012, 11:08:53 AM
"Heinrich my friend.."Klaus replies in grim determination...."You are right. It makes no sense at all to shadow Steinhager and Teugen to the meeting as we risk everything and would gain nothing as we know where they are going. You are also right that we should consider breaking into Teugens office, and Julian would be best suited for the task as he can find hidden caches or doors that might lead to a hidden room. We should be clear that the whole city might be in danger, could be they only want to summon some demons to kill other merchants to get better control over the city....but they could also open the gates to the wastes so we HAVE to succeed. I have to disagree though that you are best suited for the eavesdropping, I am quite skilled sneaking into places and I also got me specail kit for the task also regarding our possible employer he made sure that he wants to speak only with me to keep his identity secret and we wouldnīt want to lose any information when you tell it to me and so on and so forth. Also abducting someone makes only sense after the meeting as they will discuss their next step there and we want to know about this next step

My suggestion would be Max, Greta and me try to overhear the meeting and abduct one of the circle members, you Heinrich together with Julian and Mortus break into Teugens office and search for material that might expose him and afterwards together go to the warehouse."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 26, 2012, 11:56:02 AM
"My suggestion would be Max, Greta and me try to overhear the meeting and abduct one of the circle members, you Heinrich together with Julian and Mortus break into Teugens office and search for material that might expose him and afterwards together go to the warehouse."

"That plan is acceptable."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 12:00:37 PM
Max says, "What if I disguise myself as a kitchen boy, sneak up the sewer pipe into the house, and then try to listen at the door where the meeting is being held? No one looks at servants apart from other servants, so I wouldn't be discovered."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 26, 2012, 12:13:01 PM
"With them already sending thugs after us and possibly even a demon I guess they will be more attentive as the average noble on some random festival, another kitchen boy could call you out and it would be your end Max, even thouhg I would like to make certain that we can overhear the discussion I think it is too dangerous. Heinrich another idea could be that you too try to overhear the meeting and Julian and Mortus go alone to the Teugen office but I assume it would be too dangerous for the two to go alone."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 12:29:33 PM
Max looks sad that his idea wasn't very good, and doesn't dare suggest anything else.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 26, 2012, 12:32:38 PM
Picking up on Maxīs facial expression Klaus pads him on the shoulder..."You donīt seem to understand me on the issue Max, the idea is great and success of your plan is much likely than my suggestion but it would be incredibly dangerous and we couldnīt come in and help you as there most likely are lots of guards moving inside and outside the building it just isnīt worth the high risk if we can snatch one weak willed member of them for questioning afterwards."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 12:45:14 PM
Max winces when Klaus pats him on the shoulder (his back still hurts a lot) but he looks happier after Klaus explains things to him. "I didn't think of it that way, Klaus. I don't want to ruin things by being reckless - I've never done anything like this before. I've read books... but they're just stories. You - all of you - know so much more about real life than I do. I promise I'll do what you tell me, and I won't put myself or any of you in danger. If they caught me though, I wouldn't talk!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 26, 2012, 01:36:16 PM
"So any other ideas or are we set? Oh if someone wants to I have lamp black I will use to cover my hands and face so the light isnīt reflected off my skin.Hmm...I have yet another idea....if there is a secret cellar below the Teugen Villa....couldnīt you Julian try to estimate where it would be? And if your estimate would be right where would the connections to that room go, there should be some pipe to gain air or they would suffocate down there ...right? So if you were a human engineer and had the mission to craft a cellar where would you built it."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 02:20:33 PM
"We didn't find any secret rooms when we were under Professor Teugen's mansion, Klaus," Max says, before anyone else can reply. "Mr. Julian looked everywhere but didn't see anything."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 26, 2012, 02:22:19 PM
"Well this meeting is going to be held in some sort of secret location," Mortus says.   "A hidden room or chamber.   Demon worshiping is not something you do in the open, not with all the witch hunters around."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 26, 2012, 11:12:29 PM
Heinrich, Julian and Mortus leave the inn first, aiming to get to the town hall a good while before it closes. The Dreieckeplatz, where the town hall is located, is just as packed full of entertainers, food vendors, and political speakers as it was the last time they were there. The three of them climb the steps and enter through the main entrance. A guard challenges them to state their business: Julian says he is here to see Ludwig Stumpf, the vice-under-secretary of sanitation, on urgent business relating to sewer maintenance. The guard looks vaguely disgusted and allows them to pass.

They head towards Stumpf's office until out of sight of the guard, and then look around for somewhere to hide until the building closes. They soon find a storage cupboard in a secluded corner, and hide themselves in there.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 26, 2012, 11:14:36 PM
Mortus is less than impressed about being cramped with a man and a dwarf.   She considers, briefly, what her mother would have said and then also why she did not bring a bottle of wine.   Finally she tries to find a comfortable position to sleep
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 12:03:44 AM
Max and Klaus wait a bit longer, since they can't meet Greta until dusk. Max decides to leave his weapons and armour behind, apart from his knife, so that he'll be less conspicuous.

He and Klaus leave the inn and cautiously walk to the Adel Ring, keeping well clear of any watch patrols. Dusk is falling as they arrive at the Adel Ring. They wait until a suitable moment before darting into the park and looking for Greta. She's lurking behind some trees close to the fence facing the Teugen house, dressed in dark clothes. She nods at Klaus and Max as they approach, and then, in a low voice, says, "We'll watch the house to see who arrives. I've found a good place to hide." She shows them to a spot in the bushes where they can watch the gates to the Teugen mansion without being noticeable from the street.

They wait there, in silence. It's an unusually clear night, and still very warm - quite different to the freezing, fog-bound streets of the last two nights. Neither moon is visible yet.

A watch patrol passes, coming very close to their hiding place, but doesn't see them. Later, a group of noisy young nobles passes, off for a night on the town. Eventually, a tall, heavily built man in expensive clothes approaches the gates, accompanied by two heavily armed bodyguards. Max recognises him at once: "Professor Teugen!" he whispers. The man turns his head sharply at the sound, and stares almost directly at Max... then looks away and passes through the gates and into the house.

Once Teugen is out of earshot, Greta cuffs Max very hard on the back of his head. "Quiet!" she whispers. He nods, shame-faced.

Next to approach the house is a kindly-looking man carrying a parcel. He fits the description Ruggbroder gave of Friedrich Magirius, an influencial town councillor.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/magirius.jpg)

Magirius is alone. The two servants guarding the gate bow to him, and he goes inside.

Ten minutes later, another well-dressed man arrives, also carrying a large parcel and this time accompanied by two bodyguards. He also goes into the Teugen house. Once he's inside, Greta says, "That was Franz Steinhager."

Over the next half an hour, five more men arrive, one after another. All of them are well dressed and are carrying parcels. Three of them have a bodyguard each, and the other two are alone. Once the last of these has gone into the mansion, the servants close and lock the gates. Two armed bodyguards are stationed on the other side of the gate, watching the street.

Klaus, Max and Greta move deeper into the park so they can talk more freely. Greta recognised all five of the other men attending the meeting: in her capacity as Ruggbroder's bodyguard, she has seen them all before. She names them:

Teugen's guests

1 Franz Steinhager (2 guards)
2 Friedrich Magirius (no guards)
3 Georg Suderman (1 guard)
4 Leopold Schroeder (1 guard)
5 Hans Gisze (no guards)
6 Gotthard Dreyer  (1 guard)
7 Paul Beneke  (no guards)

All of them are wealthy merchants.

"That was the easy part," Greta says, "now what?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 12:21:40 AM
Mortus somehow manages to fall asleep in the cramped cupboard. After a while, Heinrich decides that the building should be empty by now, and opens the door. It's very dark, but he doesn't want to light a lantern just yet. Julian leads them, relying on his superior night vision.

Unfortunately, the town hall is a large building and they are unsure where Teugen's office is. Mortus suggests they go to the entrance hall and look for information there. On the way, they hear footsteps somewhere else in the building - perhaps a guard?

Down in the entrance hall, Heinrich and Mortus wait while Julian goes to the clerk's desks. He soon finds a plan of the building, showing the location of all the various offices. Teugen's is one floor up, looking out at the Temple of Verena.

He rejoins the others and they go to the office. Heinrich hears the footsteps again: he thinks they are coming from the floor above.

Teugen's door has a brass plate with his name on it, and is locked. Julian takes out his tools and goes to work. The door is very sturdy, and breaking the lock takes a good seven minutes. At last, he manages to open it and all three of them go inside.

They are in a tastefully-furnished room, lined with books and dominated by a large mahogany desk. It's too dark for Heinrich and Mortus to see anything much - they will need to light a lantern if they intend to help Julian search.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 27, 2012, 06:06:32 AM
While Klaus hands Max the silver mirror device to look around corners he tells Greta about their plans of Max going up to the end of the pipe and checking there if he can see or hear anything and Klaus entering the gardens of Teugens villa via the sewers trying to get some information via the walls maybe even trying to sneak into the building if there are no guards walking around inside. "What I am not sure is if you should join us in the sewers or if you rather stay up here and wait for the meeting to end and then follow Magirius. It could be we have to flee and then he might get away with no chance for us to capture him, so I think it would be best if you stay here Greta and wait for him to leave. We try to join you shouldnīt we be able to get information. Should we have to flee I suggest you to find us at the inn we are staying now. If we donīt get away.....we most likely will be dead." With this Klaus kisses her softly and smiles...."Now I am ready to die." He puts the lamp black on his face and hands and gives it to Max and the two make their way towards the sewers.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 08:51:20 AM
Greta looks surprised when Klaus kisses her, but not unhappy. She agrees with his plan: she will stay on watch, and attempt to capture Magirius when he leaves. Max puts lamp black on his face and hands too, and follows Klaus to the manhole cover they used before.

A watch patrol is passing the Crossed Pikes as they near the manhole, so they hide in a doorway until they are gone. Once the coast is clear, Klaus lifts the cover and Max climbs down. Klaus follows him, replacing the cover. Max lights the lantern Julian gave him before.

Max leads Klaus along the route he, Heinrich and Julian took. Klaus nervously glances at the surface of the water from time to time, expecting to see the blob monster... but all he sees are rats.

They enter the smaller sewer passage that leads to the house, splashing through the water. Soon, they reach the fork in the tunnel: both pipes lead up into the house. Max looks excited. "I'm ready, Klaus!"

He decides to try the left pipe. Holding the mirror in his mouth, he starts to climb up... but his shoes slip on the slimy walls and he falls back. He tries again, and still slides down. Frowning, he removes his shoes and asks Klaus to look after them. He then makes another attempt to climb, and this time is successful. When he's near the mouth of the pipe, he uses the mirror to look around.

He comes back down after a few minutes. "The pipe leads into a waste disposal room, Klaus. The door was partly open, and I could see a kitchen on the other side. I could hear singing, and a lot of pots and things being moved around. It's just the servants - I could get up there, but I'd have to sneak through a busy kitchen. I'll try the other pipe."

He climbs the other pipe, using the mirror again to look around. When he comes back down, he says, "That one goes to the room where the bedpans are emptied... it smells terrible. But it's quiet, and I think I could climb out and look around the house a bit... shall I do that? Maybe I'll be able to at least tell where in the building the meeting is."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 27, 2012, 09:01:17 AM
"Ok Max you go up and try to get into the room but only if you are sure you can escape quickly through the pipe should you get noticed, you wonīt leave the room and only will try to spy what is going on outside from there. If undetected you will wait there for a while.....remember donīt leave the room, if you canīt find out anything come back down and wait here for me. I will try to get a view into the building from the gardens so I wonīt be around if you are detected and have to flee donīt wait for me but escape through the sewers...also take the lantern with you I will have to find another way out then. Good Luck Max."

Klaus will then go up through the other pipe to the garden shed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 27, 2012, 09:08:20 AM
Fuck it. Heinrich lights a lantern. YOLO!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 10:23:03 AM
Heinrich's lantern fills the room with eerie shadows. The desk looks like a sleeping animal, and the books seem to shift on their shelves. Mortus has a weird impression that some of the books are staring at her.

The three of them begin a search. The desk is very tidy, with only a neat set of writing equipment on it. A small cupboard built into it contains blank parchment, spare pens, and bottles of ink. The desk also has a locked drawer, which Julian should be able to open fairly easily.

Mortus examines the books on the shelves. Many of them are business ledgers dating from this week until decades in the past. Others are textbooks on economics, history, and law, many with titles written in Classical Reman. There is also a long line of books which contain the minutes of town council meetings.

Heinrich looks for a concealed safe, having seen the one in Steinhager's office. He discovers it behind a row of false books. It's locked, of course.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 27, 2012, 10:37:13 AM
Heinrich's lantern fills the room with eerie shadows. The desk looks like a sleeping animal, and the books seem to shift on their shelves. Mortus has a weird impression that some of the books are staring at her.

The three of them begin a search. The desk is very tidy, with only a neat set of writing equipment on it. A small cupboard built into it contains blank parchment, spare pens, and bottles of ink. The desk also has a locked drawer, which Julian should be able to open fairly easily.

Mortus examines the books on the shelves. Many of them are business ledgers dating from this week until decades in the past. Others are textbooks on economics, history, and law, many with titles written in Classical Reman. There is also a long line of books which contain the minutes of town council meetings.

Heinrich looks for a concealed safe, having seen the one in Steinhager's office. He discovers it behind a row of false books. It's locked, of course.

"Julian! Crack this safe, if you don't mind."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 10:38:01 AM
Max nods excitedly, and vanishes up the pipe. Klaus isn't at all sure the boy will do as he's told... he's likely to do something reckless. But Klaus can't follow him up the pipe, so he'll have to trust to Ranald. Klaus wedges Max's lantern into a dry part of the pipe, and lights his own [he must have one, surely!]. He then returns along the passage to the main sewer, and continues until he gets to the pipe that leads to the garden.

The pipe curves upward and ends in a two-foot diameter opening. The bars that were across it have been cut through, presumably by Julian earlier. Klaus climbs up - it's much easier than Max's climb inside the house, but just as disgusting - and find himself inside a small shed. He cautiously opens the door a crack and looks through. The garden is large and contains a lot of trees and bushes which will provide excellent cover. It's very dark out there, but he can see the lights of the house blazing from the windows, some 50 yards distant. He watches for a while. There are certainly some people moving about outside the house, presumably guards. He sees two, but there may be more. A moment later, he hears angry barking followed by the wail of an escaping cat - so there are guard dogs in the garden too.


(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/Teuganhouse.jpg)

[The shed Klaus is in, containing the sewer access, is in the pointy corner on the far right of the map]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 10:39:43 AM
Julian examines the safe: it looks even more difficult than Steinhager's and will take a long time to crack. He sets to work immediately. Heinrich listens at the door... he can't hear any footsteps at the moment.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 27, 2012, 10:43:34 AM
Klaus will take his time to see if the guards move around and if there is any routine in their walk around the house. If there is an approach to the house that allows him to get close to it without getting closer than 10 yards to any of the dogs he will try to sneak towards it going via the gazebo, using the trees as cover to get to the sie of the house with the small hedge, are there any rooms that are not lighted that also have a door or open window access towards the garden?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 27, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
'Heinirhc, put out your lantern for now, I'll work on the safe in the dark. Warn me as soon as you hear anything'
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 27, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
'Heinirhc, put out your lantern for now, I'll work on the safe in the dark. Warn me as soon as you hear anything'

Heinrich douses his lantern.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 27, 2012, 01:37:34 PM
Mortus will want to look at the books that she thinks are looking at her in a strange way.   
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 11:05:04 PM
Mortus lights her own lantern, and starts examining the books more closely. She's not at all sure why she got the impression that they were looking at her, since they all seem harmless enough. But every time she takes one out and looks at it, she gets an overwhelming feeling that the books in the shelf behind her are glaring malevolently... when she turns and looks directly at them, the feeling goes away. She begins to suspect that the entire room has been corrupted somehow.

Meenwhile, Julian carries on working at the safe. It's been heavily reinforced, and is extremely hard to break open. At last, after perhaps twenty minutes, he manages to break in... as he does, there is a brief but absurdly loud noise, like the tolling of bells. Mortus recognises it as a spell set to detect intrusion.

Inside the safe is a leather-bound book, a stack of papers, and a metal box.

Heinrich can already hear running footsteps somewhere close by!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 27, 2012, 11:17:11 PM
Klaus watches the house for a while. He thinks the guards are just wandering around occasionally, and spend most of their time talking to each other while sharing a pipe. There are a number of guard dogs roaming freely around the garden - he's seen at least two, and suspects there could be more. He'll just have to hope they don't notice him.

Cautiously, he works his way over to the gazebo. Hiding behind it, he can see the house more clearly. There's only one door visible, in the centre of the building. Two guards are standing in the doorway, chatting to each other. All of the downstairs windows are lit - only the upstairs windows are dark.

He continues to sneak through the bushes, trying to get around the side of the house. One of the dogs has found something exciting - probably a small animal of some sort - on the opposite side of the garden to him, and two other dogs have gone to investigate also. They are barking loudly, so that the two guards are looking in their direction and thinking about going to see what they've found.

Klaus takes the chance to approach the side of the house (the side with the shorter hedge). There are two windows on the ground floor. The one near the back of the house is lit, but the one near the front is dark. Klaus thinks he could lever it open and slip inside, if he wanted... or he could look through the lit window.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 28, 2012, 03:12:53 AM
Klaus thanks Ranald for the diversion of the dogs and while marking a small x into the dirt he takes a deep breath and decides to enter the house, he will try to enter the building via the dark window.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 28, 2012, 09:07:31 AM
Klaus opens the window and climbs in. He's in a well-furnished reception room. Once inside, he listens carefully... but can't hear anything much. He goes to the room's only door, listens at it, and then cautiously opens it. On the other side is a well-lit hallway... and, just creeping past the door, is Max!

Max's mouth drops open when he sees Klaus. Klaus quickly grabs the front of Max's shirt, pulls him into the reception room, and closes the door.

"I know where the meeting is," Max whispers, "it's in a room upstairs. I overheard the servants say they aren't allowed to go up there until the master rings for them. I was just about to go up there myself!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 28, 2012, 10:38:55 AM
"I told you not to leave the pipe Max! It is bad enough that I am here" Klaus curses under his breath...."Great job though." He adds with a smile. Can Klaus figure out above which room this meeting is going to happen? He wonders if he could use his copper horn and apply it to the ceiling to listen what is going on upstairs...he might be able to listen what they say unless the floor is covered with a thick carpet. Are the parcels the merchants brought with them in the reception room?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 28, 2012, 11:04:51 AM
"Grab those and lets be gone," Mortus hisses putting out her own light.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on June 28, 2012, 11:08:26 AM
'Heinrich, can you go first, check if they are here yet. But quickly. How are we going to get out! Should we hide in the cupboard again.? '

Julian stashes everything from the safe in his pack and hurries towards the door, readying his axe.

'I don't want to use this, we can't leave covered in blood. '
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 28, 2012, 11:10:35 AM
Mortus puts her hand out.   "If there is only one distract them," she says.   "I will clatter them over the head with the staff, less blood that way."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 28, 2012, 11:14:28 AM
"We need to bolt! Let's give them something to worry about that's not us."

Heinrich lights his lantern, then smashes it against the book shelves, setting them alight. He dashes into the hall, looking both ways, bow at the ready.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 28, 2012, 10:04:49 PM
[town hall arsonist squad]

The books catch light immediately, and are soon burning steadily. Heinrich races into the hall, but it's too dark for him to see anything much without his lantern. He thinks he can hear someone coming along the passage to his left, but can't see any light that way yet.

Julian stashes the things from the safe in his bag, then he and Mortus join Heinrich in the passageway.

Heinrich tells them to run to the right, with Julian in the lead to guide them using his night vision. They soon reach the staircase, where they are confronted by two men carrying lanterns and clubs. "Stop!" one of them yells.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 28, 2012, 10:38:46 PM
[Teugen housebreakers]

Max looks briefly afraid when Klaus tells him he should have stayed in the pipe, but smiles delightedly as he is told he did well.

Klaus can't see any parcels in the reception room. More likely the guests took whatever was in them into the meeting.

"What shall I do now, Klaus," Max whispers, "go upstairs and try to listen at the door?"

Klaus shakes his head. He stands on the table and sets the hearing trumpet up against the ceiling. The device works surprisingly well: he can hear voices from the room above! The voices are muffled and can only intermittently be understood. There's no way to know which voice belongs to which person, or indeed to tell how many people are at the meeting.



...temple has been discovered... removed all the evidence, but the skull...

...Ricter was asking a lot of questions... goblin... dwarf wanted to see my warehouses too. I told him to come back tomorrow, so I'll...

...can the ritual still be.... safely?

...yes, the spell can still succeed, but... the apparatus can be replaced... ....must be prepared for tomorrow night...

...sure it will really..... subvert the economy? This is a terrible risk...

...all rich... ....wildest dreams...

...sewer... cannot be used... dedicate a new temple, and soon. It will have.... above ground... is risky... of my warehouses is empty... serve the purpose...

...interfering newcomers... arrested and executed soon.... Holbein...

...watch will protect the temple... expel the Baron's guards from the town...

...ritual will begin at dusk... completed by midnight, or... dedicated with a sacrifice...

...No! We cannot take a human life... of the gods... immoral... our own prosperity...

...squeamish now... besides, the subject will... wasted life... blood sacrifice is essential to draw the energy for the ritual...

...not the first, by any means...

...Gideon, what.... the first? What have I been involved with?

...late. You are committed, Friedrich...




The door to the reception room opens, and a young female servant enters carrying a coal scuttle. She freezes on seeing Klaus and Max in the room. Max is too surprised to do anything.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 28, 2012, 10:44:56 PM
Klaus will use his streetfighting skill to headbutt her hopefullly out of consciousness.

Then I think it is time to leave.....ASAP we heard enough.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 28, 2012, 10:52:41 PM
Klaus leaps down from the table and strikes out at the servant...

[to hit roll = 95! total failure]

...but lands well short of where she is standing, and his attack fails to connect. She drops the coal scuttle, screams, and runs away.

Max says "Out the window, Klaus! I'll draw them after me and then go down the pipe!"

He runs out of the room after the girl.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 28, 2012, 10:55:19 PM
"No...MAX follow me. Klaus doesnīt hesitate though and goes as quickly as possible out of the window and makes a run for the shed, he drops the smoke/stink bomb right in front of his way and should guards or dogs come after him he also will drop the caltrops.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 28, 2012, 11:14:27 PM
Max has already run off further into the house, so Klaus can do nothing except make his own escape. He jumps out of the window and starts to run...

...as he does, the dogs start to bark. He throws his stink bombs, hoping to dissuade them, and keeps going. Glancing back at the house, he can see the mansion door is open and the guards are hurrying inside. They slam the door after them, presumably to keep the dogs out. Klaus runs on, and has nearly reached the gazebo!

A dog sees him, and hurtles toward him... but it runs into a cloud of noxious smoke, and stops, whimpering. Klaus keeps running!

Now he's past the gazebo and is closing on the shed. Another dog is heading for him. He drops some caltrops... the dog runs over them, yelps, and give up the chase. It lies down and licks its wounded feet.

...the shed is almost in reach! But one more dog is nearly on him. He makes it to the shed, opens the door, and dives for the sewer pipe. The dog jumps on him and catches his leg!

[dog to hit roll: 52 = miss!]

But fortunately for Klaus, its teeth fasten onto the leg of his breeches, and he is able to rip free without injury. He makes it down the pipe and into the sewer passage, where he left his lantern. The dog slides down the pipe, and Klaus has time to hit it before it can attack him again.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 29, 2012, 02:26:04 AM
"Arson!" Heinrich screams. "Someone has set fire to the building! They ran down the hall that way!" Heinrich points back the way they came. "They looked quite dastardly! Run after them!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 29, 2012, 06:05:16 AM
Klaus will try to kick the dog  to hopefully smash it into the sewer waters and also takes out his poison into his right hand he will put his left arm in front of him hoping that should the dog successfully bite him he will lock himself into his left arm so he can try to smash the poison into the snout of the dog. His mind is racing with what to do next, what if they caught Max? They will learn about Greta and the plan to seize that Megarius guy, they also most certainly will kill him...but there is no way to help him if they got him....no way at all. Ranald save us.

Also he tried to make sure he wouldnīt forget any detail of what he has learned so the whole thing wasnīt in vain.

The skull was some kind of important device they needed and have to replace.

They have found a new temple and they truly did remove the evidence of the other location.

It will be above ground....but where? One empty warehouse but of whom...it will be at one of the warehouses.

The ritual will take place next night. Beginning at dusk and ending at midnight.

Friedrich has doubts about the ritual he talked to some Gideon who told him there already has been a sacrifice of a human....so maybe he can be convinced to betray the others.

The dog...first I have to get rid of that damn dog.





Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 29, 2012, 10:13:27 PM
[town hall]

Heinrich tries to bluff the two guards, in the hope they won't think he, Mortus and Julian are a suspicious group who probably set the fire themselves...

[Heinrich Fel test = 96 = failure!]

...but isn't remotely convincing. Both guards attack him!

[guard one: to hit roll = 54 = miss]
[guard two: to hit roll = 10 = hit on 01, hits head. Damage = S3+ d6 roll 1 - T5 - armour 1 = zero wounds]

The first misses totally, and the second hits him on the head... but the blow glances off his helmet.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 29, 2012, 10:15:20 PM
Mortus will charge the guard that is attacking Heinrich, bellowing her warcry (please read casting sleep) as she strikes.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 29, 2012, 10:23:36 PM
[Klaus vs dog]

Klaus kicks at the dog, while at the same time thinking about the conversation he overheard...

[to hit roll = 13 = hit! Hits right foreleg. Damage = 3 + d6 roll of 5 luck use! 6 (extra damage?... no) - T3 = 6 damage! -1 Critical hit! Dice roll = 48, broken paw!]

... his boot collides with the animals right forepaw, breaking the bones with a loud crack! The dog cries out in pain, and immediately gives up the fight. Whimpering, it retreats from Klaus.

With the dog defeated, Klaus picks up his lantern and flees along the sewer. As he's about to pass the passage leading to the Teugen house, he sees a light coming along it... it's Max! His face is bloody and his clothes are torn to shreds, but he's alive and running.

"Klaus!" he says, "I got away! Where shall we go now? Back to the inn?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 29, 2012, 10:31:04 PM
Mortus swings her staff at one of the guards, at the same time shouting something in a language no one there recognises...

[to hit roll = 20 = hit, hits head. Casts sleep! 2 magic points used. WP test for guard: 62 = fail! Falls asleep for (secret roll)]

...her staff connects solidly with his head, and he crumples to the floor.

Heinrich swings his axe at the other guard...

[to hit roll = 01 = hit, hits head. Damage = S4+1+d6 roll of 6! (extra damage...no) - T3 = 8 wounds! -2 critical hit! = 48 = stunned for d4 rounds (secret roll)]

...he hits him in the head, splitting his scalp messily and causing him to collapse, unconscious.

Both guards have been incapacitated. Heinrich, Mortus and Julian could flee... unless they want to kill the witnesses!

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 29, 2012, 10:44:17 PM
Mortus grips her staff more tightly.   Something in her is making her want to bury it in the guards face.   She resists the urge, her knuckles whitening.

"We should go," she says.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 29, 2012, 10:53:35 PM
Heinrich agrees.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 29, 2012, 11:15:03 PM
Heinrich, Julian and Mortus run down the stairs, leaving the two unconscious guards behind. The fire is probably spreading rapidly...

They make it to the ground floor. It sounds as though someone is trying to break down the front door from the outside! How do they plan to escape?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on June 30, 2012, 12:46:20 AM
"Surely there is an entrance to the sewers in this building! Julian?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 30, 2012, 08:36:39 AM
"Max I am so happy that you are alive and...well almost well. Lets leave the sewers at the next possible exit then we check if we can join Greta, if there are too many guards running around we will retreat to the inn, we should get rid of the lamp black as soon as possible too, what happened to you?" Klaus will advance through the sewers not to the next manhole "Klaus hand me the silver mirror I want to check if there are guards outside the sewers before we get out there." Klaus will check the exit before he exits the sewers, he then will sneak to the hiding place of Greta but only if there is no tumult of guards with lanterns and dogs roaming the streets.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 30, 2012, 05:45:12 PM
"Or a window at the back we can get out of?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 30, 2012, 10:26:03 PM
Julian remembers from the sewer map that the town hall isn't connected to the sewers at all. Which is surprising.

There's bound to be another door though, or failing that a suitable window. He, Mortus and Heinrich proceed to the other side of the building, aiming to get as far as possible from the front door. They soon hear a loud crash as the door is broken down... followed by the sound of people running up the stairs toward the burning office.

At last, they find an open conference room with a large window. It's shuttered, but Julian strikes the lock off with his hammer - there's no time to open it quietly. They each jump from the window onto the square. At that moment, the witch moon appears from behind a cloud and shines down on them with baleful green light. A malevolent face is clearly visible on the surface of the moon now: it almost seems to have been waiting for them to emerge from the building.

"Over there! You, stop!" A watch patrol has seen them, and is running across the square towards them. There's still time to escape into the backstreets in the hope of losing the patrol... perhaps.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 30, 2012, 10:39:31 PM
"I forgot Greta!" Max says, "how stupid of me! We must find her, of course. Do you still have my shoes, Klaus? Remember I had to take them off to climb the pipe, and I could do with them back if you still have them. But it's find if you don't... I'm so glad you got away! I tried to get the guards to follow me, and then I dived down the sewer pipe and they couldn't follow me! But I hit my head on the way in, which made it bleed a bit, and my clothes got a bit torn up too. It was a tight fit in the pipe! Oh, I've lost the mirror! I'm terribly sorry! I'll buy a new one to replace it, of course! Oh dear. Are you angry with me, Klaus? I understand if you are. I was wrong to disobey you."

Max looks very ashamed of himself as he follows Klaus along the sewer passage to the manhole they entered by. Without the mirror, Klaus can only listen at the cover before opening it... when he does, and sticks his head out, he doesn't see any sign of the watch. He and Max emerge onto the street and quickly get into cover.

Klaus watches the street for a while, until he's sure it's relatively safe. Then he leads Max back to the park, where Greta is still waiting. She looks pleased to see them - though she raises her eyebrows when she sees the state Max is in. "No one's left yet," she whispers, "but there's been a bit of action in there. Dogs barking and so forth. You two, I suppose. Do we wait and try to grab someone? Or did you learn enough already?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 30, 2012, 10:48:41 PM
Still in the sewer Klaus tries to calm Max and even gives him a hug...."I am just glad you are still alive, damn do you see this." Klaus holds out his hand which is shaking. "Damn that was close, one of the dogs gave me chase...I have never in my life done this before, incredible how exciting it is."

when the two reach Greta he states while wiping his face.

"We learned quiet a bit but no evidence to convict them, this Friedrich Magerius isnīt sure if he wants to go on with him, if we get him and convince him that the Baron already knows of this and that the demon worshipers already have killed several children in their sacrifice he might break and tell us everything we need to know, there is some spell to be cast tomorrow night, oh and the city watch is theirs."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on June 30, 2012, 11:13:07 PM
"I think running is a good idea," Mortus says.   She takes off towards the nearest side ally.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 30, 2012, 11:34:05 PM
Mortus runs towards a nearby alley, and Heinrich and Julian can see no option but to follow her... getting caught by the watch now would be very bad indeed.

Fortunately, they have enough of a head start to quickly lose the patrol amongst the back streets. After their frantic flight through the streets, Mortus, Julian and Heinrich are exhausted - but safe, for the moment.

It's now well-past midnight.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on June 30, 2012, 11:44:29 PM
Max is amazed that Klaus hugs him: he was expecting to be hit for disobeying the instructions Klaus gave him... he's starting to think that Klaus really does value him after all, in spite of his inexperience and excitability. He smiles happily but can't manage to say anything. He's worried he'll cry if he tries to.

...

Greta says, "We'll have to get Magirius then. From what you say, he may come with us willingly... but maybe not. He lives in one of the smaller houses on the Adel Ring, just over there" she points toward somewhere left of the Teugen house. "We could take him just outside his house... how about the boy keeps watch while you and I grab Magirius? We'll have to be careful not to hurt him... if he'll turn on the others willingly it will make things much easier."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on June 30, 2012, 11:49:15 PM
"I think this plan sound, and I like that it is as far as possible from the Teugen estate, the guards there will be in uproar right now, some kitchen wench saw the two of us sneaking around in the house. I managed to overhear their meeting...at least parts of it. Who of them is Guideon? He also seems to be thicker in it....and Hohlbein was mentioned."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 01, 2012, 12:13:35 AM
"I don't know anyone called Gideon... but I don't know everyone in town. Whoever he is, we didn't see him go in the front door. Unless he was one of the guards. I do know Holbein... though I wish I could say otherwise. Anyway, this is no time to have a conversation. It was careless of you to let yourselves be seen." Greta glares at Max, clearly blaming him. "Do you think you can manage to keep watch while we grab Magirius, boy? You'd better not mess this up."

Max nods.

The gates of the Teugen mansion open, and the guests begin to leave. They all look agitated, and are clearly anxious to get away from the mansion as quickly as possible. Seeing that Magirius is the first to leave, Klaus, Greta and Max sneak ahead, using the park as cover, and reach the area where his house is before he can. Max hides in a corner watching the street, while Greta and Klaus follow Magirius to his door. The moons are hidden behind the clouds, so it's easy for them to get right behind Magirius before he sees or hears them... then Klaus grabs him and Greta puts her knife against his throat. "Not a word!" she hisses.

Magirius cooperates, but even so Greta gags him and ties his hands. Getting him to Ruggbroder's safe house without being seen by the watch isn't easy - it's a slow trek through the back alleys - but at last they make it. There's another bodyguard waiting inside the safe house, along with an elderly man with small eyes and a leather toolbag in his hand. He looks at Greta expectantly, but she shakes her head. "He might talk of his own free will."

Greta unties and ungags Magirius, and tells him to sit in the chair. She then says to Klaus, "you'd better talk to him first."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 01, 2012, 02:40:23 PM
"Greetings Mister Magirius.....of course you wonder why I know who you are while you have not even the slightest idea who I am. I can tell you I know much more than your name. I know about your demon worshipping about the secret spells the Ordo Septenarius casted to get ahead of the competition, I know about the killings and I know that something even worse will happen tomorrow night......but I also know that you are not completely corrupt, that you were drawn into this whole mess, they baited you with lies and false promises.... and that you...should you get the chance....will turn the back to the evil and help us preventing worse things to happen. So Mister Magirius....Friedrich I offer you the chance to turn your back on them....I offer you the chance to come back into the light and out of this mess. So what do you say?" Klaus will look with a look of sincerity and determination at Magirius...like some Sigmarite priest at the mess.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 01, 2012, 09:51:51 PM
[Klaus Fel test = 15! Very successful]

Magirius opens his mouth to speak, and then shuts it again. He looks around the room: at Klaus, at Max, at Greta, at the other bodyguard and at the torturer. Then he begins to speak, slowly at first, but becoming more urgent as he goes on. "I... never wanted to hurt anyone... never! When Johannes came back from Nuln, after his brother's death, it was like a breath of fresh air into this stale town... We'd been losing ground, all of us: to Marienburg, to Altdorf. Teugen had new ideas, and he beat us all into shape. Those of us who'd listen, anyway. At first, it was just economic theory. He'd been a professor at Magnus College, so we were slightly in awe of him. He had all the answers... but then he moved beyond that. He started to talk about magic. He told us he'd studied all the great books of magic at the university, and he'd spoken to the leading practitioners in the city. He knew how to use sorcery to accomplish economic dominance... it sounds absurd! But he was so persuasive... he showed us little acts of sorcery at first. He made us get used to it. We saw him work wonders... at first. Later he called forth horrors, and still we watched, still we clamoured for more.

"At last, he told us his researches had come upon a ritual that would raise Bogenhafen to total economic primacy. It would ruin our rivals and force all trade to pass through our town. We would become a new Marienburg, rich beyond belief, and powerful... we believed in him. He and his cousin Gideon founded the Ordo Septenarius. The two of them, the seven inner circle members, and the forty-nine lesser members. We claimed to be a secret charitable club: we gave alms to the poor, and raised money for the temples and to improve conditions in The Pit. We said the club was secret to preserve our modesty, so we would not be thought to seek public advancement by our charitable works... we said that, but we also wanted to hide our collusion in matters of trade, our alliances against Ruggbroder and Haagen.

"But even that was a lie. The lesser members, the forty-nine, are only a smokescreen. We, the inner seven, and the two, sought to harness the unspeakable powers of sorcery to control the economy of The Empire itself... Teugen taught us the rituals, and we practiced them in the temple below Steinhager's offices. Tonight, Teugen told us the temple had been compromised and a new location must be found - and he says it must be sanctified with human blood! I cannot do it, I will not! They told me the other temple was prepared in the same way... so I am a murderer, perhaps many times over, though I did not know it. I should have known it. I am guilty... of willful ignorance, if nothing else.

"Teugen suggested one of his warehouses as the site of the new temple... he did not say which one - he will send messengers to us shortly before dusk, when the ritual is to begin. I cannot allow him to shed more blood! He must be stopped...

"The preparations will begin at dusk - the circle, and the star, and the candles. A living heart must be cut from a body... Teugen will do this, while the inner circle chant the incantations... later, Teugen will read from a scroll he obtained but recently. This is the final spell, and must be completed before midnight. You have to stop the ritual! I will not be there, but they will replace me. Don't let them kill again!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 01, 2012, 10:10:39 PM
Julian breathes heavily as he rests on his haunches.

"I don't like this killing and burgling. Heinrich you are very rash. What do we do now, go back to the inn? I'm wary of being seen together, the whole watch must be looking for us. I wonder if we'll need max to read this stuff!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 01, 2012, 10:54:39 PM
Klaus lets the story breathe in the room for a moment and checks Gretas face if she thinks it is enough proof to inform Ruggbroder of a success of the mission before he turns to Magirius.

"Friedrich, you are doing the right thing here. It is not to late to repent your sins and return to the path of the righteous. I think you should join the ritual nobody knows that you have defected them. When the messenger comes and gives you the detail where you have to go....you will go there and we will also go there and disrupt this vile ritual and bring all the others to justice.A bullet to the heart of Teugen will bring it to an end I guess and also would certainly wash you clean of your sins. Tell us my friend who is involved? Hohlbein of the City Watch? Is there anyone in the watch that isnīt corrupted by the influence of Teugen? What is the plan to deal with the Barons guards? We need to know as much as possible. What was in the parcel you brought to the meeting...beside the Haagens and the Ruggbroders who can we trust us to join us to fight against this darkness in the midst of this city?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 02, 2012, 07:47:31 AM
"I might be able to read some of it," Mortus says.   "Maybe we should split up and meet back at the inn."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 02, 2012, 11:35:04 AM
"I might be able to read some of it," Mortus says.   "Maybe we should split up and meet back at the inn."

Heinrich nods. He is a little stung by Julian's accusation, feeling that the distraction of the fire was worth the risk. He shrugs it off and quietly sets off in the opposite direction of the inn, planning a circuitous route.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 02, 2012, 12:00:11 PM
Mortus will go with Heinrich, one arm wrapped around his and reeling slightly as if drunk
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 02, 2012, 12:07:24 PM
time reversal!


Before they left, Julian told the others to get back to the inn within an hour, and if not then we might need to search for the missing person. Julian smokes his pipe on the way back to the inn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 01:53:01 PM
Mortus and Heinrich set off one way along the street, while Julian goes the other. The witch moon has illuminated all the streets with sickly green light. So ghastly is the moonlight that it seems to have driven most people into their homes. Even those streets that are normally frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers at this hour are deathly quiet. Julian ducks into a doorway at one point when he sees a watch patrol hurry by - they are heading for the town hall. He hopes that the fire is under control.

Julian reaches the Sundered Dog Inn first. He knocks for a while before the innkeeper opens the door: shirtless and bleary-eyed, having clearly been roused from his bed. "Ah, come in sir," he says, "I apologize for opening the door in this state. Your friends will be along soon, I hope? In any case, please go on up to your room."

Heinrich and Mortus take a longer route to the inn. As they are about to turn onto Langen Stasse, where the inn is, they hear a shout of "There they are! Get them!" Before they have time to react, three black-clad men run from an alley and on up the street, pursued by a watch patrol. Mortus and Heinrich each breathe a sigh of relief.

They reach the inn, and the door is opened at once. The innkeeper is fully dressed and wide awake, greeting them warmly. They go up to their room to find Julian there, but no sign yet of Klaus and Max.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 02, 2012, 01:57:26 PM
Mortus will thank the innkeeper, ask him if he has any brandy and go up to the room.   She will see if she can read any of the book and other material
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 02, 2012, 02:13:33 PM
Julian opens the box!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 04:14:34 PM
"Join the ritual?" Magirius says, "but I can't possibly! Don't you understand, they are going to kill someone to dedicate the temple! And that will happen long before the ritual itself begins! I can't watch someone die like that... you'll have to find another way. I don't even want to go back to my house... they know I was wavering... the way Gideon looked at me was horrible... he smiled!

"I don't know how much control Teugen really has over the watch. I think Holbein is the watch captain's right hand man, but I've never met him. I don't move in those circles... Teugen and Steinhager have bought him, they say, and a lot of other watchmen too. I don't know if they have the captain, but anyway he'd be reluctant to move against the chairman of the council without absolute proof. I don't know how they plan to keep the baron's guards out either. But the baron will be leaving tomorrow anyway, since the Schaffenfest is over. He'll take his guards with him, I should imagine.

"I know that Teugen and Steinhager control the stevedores' guild too - they can hire enough dockyard thugs from them to protect the new temple while the ritual is proceeding. But they won't want to draw too much attention to themselves either. He plans to station thugs all around the warehouse, but they''l be unarmored and only lightly armed - clubs and knives. They'll look like loiterers. There won't be any guards inside the warehouse, just Teugen, Gideon and the seven inner circle members... that includes whoever they get to replace me. The watch have been told to avoid the area, and to turn anyone suspicious away who tries to get near. Once the ritual is done, Teugen says everyone will be happy and prosperous, so there won't be any more need for secrecy. But I don't believe him anymore. Nothing good can come from murder.

"The parcel I brought? Oh, it was just my robes - I think I dropped them when you - ah - collected me. The Ordo members wear white robes at meetings. There's nothing strange about that: my student society at university did the same thing." Max nods at this.

Klaus looks at Greta to see if she's pleased with the information Magirius has given. She looks unsure, and nods to the other bodyguard. He leaves the room, and returns a moment later with Heironymous Ruggbroder.

"Good evening, Friedrich," Ruggbroder says, "You've really been very helpful... my, what a dirty business you've been involved with! Still, you've made the right choice now: I'll protect you, while Teugen and the others will fall!"

He looks at Klaus, smiling unpleasantly. "You've done well... Klaus, wasn't it? But I don't think our business is concluded yet... I want to catch them in the act! They must be exposed in front of reliable witnesses, cutting hearts from virgins or whatever it is they intend... if you want your full fee you must help me do this. I can arrange to bring the witnesses, and I can hire men to overpower Teugen's thugs. I want you and your little gang to find the building where the ritual will take place and infiltrate it. Let them get all dressed up in their robes, and wave their candles around while they say their little spells. Then give a signal, and I shall burst in with my men and arrest them all! Oh, they won't be able to stop me then, no matter who Teugen has in his pocket! What do you say, Klaus?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 04:29:09 PM
Julian examines the box closely. It's appears to be a reinforced cashbox, like those he took from Steinhager's offices. It proves very difficult to open, and at last he resorts to considerable force: he hammers metal spikes in along the rim until it spit apart.

Inside are a few bags of coins, to a total of 320 gold crowns. The box also contains a letter, which he reads:

My dear Johannes,

Enclosed with this letter is the scroll you require for your endeavor. I hope it will prove suitable, since I found it necessary to employ extraordinary measures to obtain it! I am sure that you do not need to be reminded, but I know you will not take offense if I say this: be certain of your preparations, especially the apparatus and the dedicatory gift. Any mistake or oversight will lead to disaster.

My thoughts are with you, and my prayers also. I wonder if the inner circle know what awaits them when the task is complete! Our old mentor at Magnus College would be delighted with both of us, I am sure. Please write to me with news of your success! I enclose my address, in case you have mislaid it. I shall be leaving home on an expedition of my own in three weeks time. I dare not say more now, but a wonderful prize lies ahead of me!

Yours in love and friendship,

Etelka Hergen.

Residing at Black Peaks Tower, near the town of Grissenwald in the Electorate of Nuln.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 04:33:17 PM
Mortus examines the other papers. They are inventories and order forms for Teugen's warehouses.

The book is untitled, but her heart leaps weirdly as she touches the cover. On opening it, the words seem to dance before her eyes before settling into place. It's written in the magical language! It's surely a spell book... but studying it to determine the contents will take some minutes... does she want to risk raising suspicion among her comrades?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 02, 2012, 04:44:17 PM
Klaus is unsure, he ponders his options for a moment, going into the lions den into the room where the ritual will take place, and confronting an evil mage isnīt something he wanted to do also Ruggbroder agreed to pay 5000 gold crowns if he could overhear the meeting and bring substantial information which he did...but also he felt that asking for even more would most likely end with him getting nothing at all.

"Klaus it is Herr Ruggbroder....I agree. I will meet with the others, what has to be done in the preperations would be to sort out how we can give you a signal and Friedrich.....we need to know how exactly you are supposed to be informed about the place of the warehouse, my suggestion would be that you return to your home, with the others of my band as your safety...maybe one or two bodyugards of Ruggbroder, once we find out where the warehouse is and where the ritual will take place we can sneak in there and try to hide until the ritual starts once they are at it we give the signal...a loud noise or coloured smoke or both and the trap closes around their necks. I also suggest that we try to figure out another way to find out where the warehouse is, if they suspected Friedrich of wavering it could be that they consider just killing him and replacing him with someone else and even if we overcome the  hit squad they might send to his place we wouldnīt learn about the true location. Maybe someone should shadow Steinhager around the time the ritual is supposed to start."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 02, 2012, 10:00:24 PM
"He has an accomplice... or a master. So this goes deeper than we thought. and we have Proof! but perhaps not enough.."

Julian pauses, before re-reading the letter and quoting "I wonder if the inner circle know what awaits them when the task is complete! " this makes my stomach lurch. We must stop the ritual.

Julian checks to see if the scroll mentioned in the letter is in any of the stuff they nicked.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 10:18:22 PM
Julian checks through the other papers he took from the safe - Mortus has already glanced at them and set them aside. They all relate to Teugen's warehouses: inventories, orders, and business records of that sort. There's no sign of a scroll amongst them, and there were no papers - other than the letter - in the cashbox. Mortus is examining the book: glancing over her shoulder at the writing, Julian thinks the language looks similar to that of the book they found in Steinhager's safe... the one Max said was a spellbook.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 02, 2012, 10:20:28 PM
When Mortus notices that Julian is looking at her she will put down the book.

"We need to find that scroll," she says.   "Also this could have gotten deeper.   Who is Etelka Hergen?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 02, 2012, 11:09:48 PM
Ruggborder waves aside Klaus's questions impatiently. "Yes, yes, I'm sure you can work it out with Greta. I have other things to think about... I shall make sure dear Friedrich has somewhere safe to reside until the matter is resolved. And I have many people to speak to. I'm sure you can work out which warehouse is the correct one - nothing could be simpler! Now, good night! Come along, Friedrich." Ruggbroder, the bodyguard and the torturer leave with Magirius. Max and Klaus are alone with Greta.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 03, 2012, 11:09:37 AM
Klaus frowns upon the loss of interest Ruggbroder shows.....

"Greta you sure that this man will stay true to his word?" Turning to her and max he finally realises that Max is still bleeding and walking around in torn clothes.

"Oh ....öhm Greta do you think we could tend Max`s wounds and get him new garb somewhere before we leave for the inn? I guess I should inform the others before they think we got captured and try some foolish heroic rescue mission. Can we meet tomorrow morning around 9 a.m (or warhammer equivalent after breakfast) in the park and plan how we will bust this thing?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 11:41:29 AM
"Ruggbroder will keep his word, Klaus," Greta says, "You don't have to worry about that. He's always been a good employer to me - I wouldn't stay with him if he wasn't. He trusts us to do our part without his interference, that's all."

Klaus looks at Max. He's swaying a bit on his feet, and his face looks pale even under all the dirt. Klaus asks Greta about getting him some help, and she sighs with annoyance. She grabs Max's shoulder and examines his head wound - rather roughly - and then stares into his eyes for a moment. "The boy's fine, Klaus. He's scraped his head a bit, and he's dead tried, but that's all. He just needs his bed and a good wash... and a decent meal, by the look of him! Don't you feed him? Listen, I can probably find some things to wash that cut on his head, but there aren't any spare clothes around here." She leaves the room.

"I'm fine, Klaus, really," Max says, "and I have more clothes at the inn, remember? I bought these today... they didn't last very long! Oh, and I suppose my shoes are lost? You don't have them any more? I have my sandals back at the inn, so that doesn't matter either. I'm really very tired though... but I don't want to be a burden! I can stay awake if there's more work you want to do tonight!"

Greta returns with a cloth and a bottle of cheap spirits. She pours some on the cloth and tells Max to hold still. Then she cleans his wound - he winces as the alcohol stings him. She wipes the rest of his face for him, and then smiles. "You remind me of my own brother, boy. He was always getting into fights he couldn't win... he's dead now.

"I'll meet you at nine in the park then, Klaus. Don't be late. And stay clear of the watch - we don't know how much they know about us."

Greta shows Klaus and Max out of the house.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 03, 2012, 11:45:04 AM
"Ok Max....lets go to the inn, well sorry about your shoes I must have dropped them on our flight (or never picked them up in the first place) but I guess the walk to the inn isnīt too far to go barefoot. I hope they have a good breakfast there and that we can drop into nice featherbeds as soon as we have told the others what happened. But we should be quiet now until we reach the place."


Stating this Klaus will move towards the inn looking back for Max once in a while.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 12:02:08 PM
Max nods, and follows Klaus back to the inn. He stumbles a few times, but otherwise makes it there safely.

The innkeeper lets them in. "Ah, my last two missing guests! Welcome in, sirs - your friends here already. Good night!"

They go up to the room. Julian, Heinrich and Mortus are all there waiting for them. Max immediately goes and sits on an unclaimed bed.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 03, 2012, 12:05:54 PM
"Ok good news everyone, we found out ......[Klaus will tell the others with dramatic gestures how he ......and Max found out what will go on tomorrow and gives them as much details of the conversation he overheard...he also will tell and show the others how he escaped some vicious guard dogs, it was dark and he isnīt sure about it but they might have had red glowing eyes....demon guard dogs! he will then also sit on a bed and fall asleep with his clothes on]-
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 12:11:30 PM
Max tries to stay awake, but after a few minutes he removes his ruined clothes and then goes to sleep.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 03, 2012, 12:44:44 PM
Mortus will wait until everybody is asleep and then she will examine the book again.   Once that is done she will go to sleep.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 01:21:20 PM
Mortus examines the spellbook by the light of the witch-moon, shining horribly through the window. It contains the complete texts of a number of spells of the first level: beyond her ability at the moment, but not far out of reach.

The book has the following L1 battle magic spells: Aura of resistance, cure light injury, fireball, flight, hammerhand, steal mind, wind blast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 01:35:07 PM
Everyone goes to sleep, and is woken by the morning sun. It seems especially bright today.

Max is still asleep, curled up on his bed and snoring softly. He occasionally mutters something unintelligible.


EXP!

Heinrich, Julian, Mortus, Klaus and Max each gain 100 experience points for roleplaying and robbery! Well done!

Also, anyone who is wounded regains one lost wound.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 03, 2012, 01:45:11 PM
Mortus will go down to breakfast. 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 03, 2012, 01:47:14 PM
"Why is that woman always going downstairs? We are unable to talk about our secretive stuff down there.....well gentlemen as it stands we still only have half earned our fortune, we have to locate the warehouse and then set the trap for the cultists. Ruggbroder stated that he will help but I guess we should make sure we will survive until the cavalry shows up. Any suggestions?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 03, 2012, 01:51:05 PM
Just as Klaus finishes talking Mortus comes back into the room with a goblet of wine in one hand and some sort of breadroll in the other.   She sits down on the bed and takes a bite.   She looks very pale and shaky.   Finally she sips her wine and turns to Max.   If he is not awake she will prod him until her wakes.

"Did you notice the witch moon last night?" she demands, her face tense and her voice scared.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 02:02:56 PM
Max wakes up suddenly, looking around him in shock. He sits up in bed when he sees that it was Mortus who woke him. "Oh, good morning Mortus - and good morning to everyone else too! What was that, Mortus? The witch moon? Well, now that you mention it I did think it was a bit sinister... all that awful green light, and hanging so low in the sky... this sounds childish, but I thought it had a face, and it was looking at me! Still, my professors did say the witch moon was probably made from Wyrdstone - like the stuff they found in Mordheim, five hundred years ago. If that's true then it would be magical in nature, and would be drawn to any really strong act of magic... oh dear. Professor Teugen's ritual must be very powerful indeed! If we don't stop him... oh, Sigmar preserve us!"

Max makes the sign of the hammer across his chest, and then suddenly realises he isn't dressed... he's glad the bedsheet is still covering his lower half. He blushes.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 03, 2012, 02:06:11 PM
Mortus tenses even more and seems to reel back from Max.   She sits back on her own bed.

"Do we know when or where Professor Teugen's ritual is taking place?" she demands, her voice shaky.   She puts down the goblet and picks up the papers from Teugen's office.

"I'll read through these, see if there is any empty warehouses."   She seems much happier and calmer to be doing something
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 02:41:17 PM
Max waits until Mortus is looking at the papers, and then quickly gets out of bed and puts his trousers on. He then puts the rest of his clothes on more carefully, and checks his weapons. Once he's done that, he waits for someone to tell him what to do. He looks very hungry.


Mortus reads through the papers: she has enough experience of trade to understand them. Teugen owns eight warehouses along the dockfront, all next to each other - numbers 8 to 15. He seems to trade heavily in timber, metal, wine, brandy and grain. These goods are normally stored in separate warehouses, but Mortus notices that a recent shipment of Bretonnian brandy has been split over several warehouses... she checks the papers carefully, and discovers that the shipment had been held in warehouse 13, but was moved from there yesterday. Warehouse 13 must therefore be almost empty.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 03, 2012, 03:02:10 PM
Heinrich will drag Max with him down to breakfast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 03:11:28 PM
Max is surprised, but very grateful. "Well Heinrich, I am quite hungry... I didn't want to say anything, but I didn't eat much yesterday. Which is my fault of course!"

He orders a large breakfast from the innkeeper. "I'll pay for my friend here too," he says, indicating Heinrich, "Please, order whatever you like, Heinrich! And I'd like food sent up to my friends in their room please. I'll pay for all of that... oh, and the room also if it hasn't been paid for yet."

Max hands over the money. He chats happily with Heinrich until the food arrives, and then eats very rapidly indeed.


A maid brings a substantial breakfast upstairs to Julian, Klaus and Mortus. It includes a good ale that is not as nice as the one at the last inn, but still very palatable.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 03, 2012, 09:44:43 PM
Mortus looks happier when the food arrives.   She asks the maid have they any brandy.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 03, 2012, 10:08:57 PM
The maid tells Mortus they do have brandy, and she will bring her a glass.

Heinrich and Max return to the room after a while. Max looks excited, as usual, "Gosh, we don't have long before Professor Teugen starts his ritual! How are we going to stop him? I'm ready to do whatever you need me to! Uh... I was thinking I'd like to go to the Temple of Sigmar, and say a few prayers first... in case things don't... uh... you know. Does anyone want to come with me? I won't be long."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 03, 2012, 11:02:56 PM
'Not me laddy, you can stick with your human gods ' Julian says around a mouthful of breakfast.

He drains his beer then wipes his hand across his mouth.

'Warehouse 13 eh ? How certain are we? If we can get in before the ritual starts I could set some traps, but I don't want to scare em off before rugg broder can catch end. Perhaps I could set up traps I could set off when I wanted to.

 I'm meant to be invesyigating steinhagers warehouse today, anyone thinks that is worth doing? '
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 04, 2012, 05:58:52 AM
"I will join you for the temple Max, but I want to take a bath first to get rid of the dirt I collected yesterday and then have to meet Greta perhaps you want to join me when we meet her? Heinrich, Julian, Mortus....how was your night? You havenīt told me yet...also I would like to know what you guys think will work out best as a signal. Heinrich you seem battle hardened do you have any ideas how we should ambush those people best?"

Klaus eats a lot but goes easy on the ale.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 04, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
Okay back in time Mortus tells Julian and Kluas about the warehouse

She seems really frightened when Kluas asks her about her night and then figures out that he is talking about the raid on the office and shrugs.

"It was grand," she says.   "Heinrich set fire to the place, we got this stuff."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 04, 2012, 10:48:47 AM
"Sorry Mr. Julian sir, I didn't mean to try to impose my religion on you!" Max says,  "I don't suppose there's a dwarf temple in town.

"I'd love to go to the temple with you, Klaus... but I don't think Greta likes me. I think she'd rather be alone with you.

"Oh, what's that book, Mortus? Is it another spellbook?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 04, 2012, 11:31:59 AM
Mortus tosses Max the book.

"Spells would be your area," she says.   She smiles.   "I will go to the ...tem..temple with you and Kluas if you like."   She takes a deep breath and turns to Julian.
"I only know that from these dockets that warehouse will be empty."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 04, 2012, 01:46:05 PM
"I'm so glad you want to come to the temple with us, Mortus!" Max says, "Now, I'll take a look at this book.... ah, yes, it's certainly a spellbook... rather a more powerful one than that other one we found.... gosh, I think this is a spell to call forth fire to smite your enemies! Dreadfully dangerous... oh dear... this one separates the mind from the body, making the victim unable to act... this one calls on the winds to obey the caster... ah! A spell to restore an injured body. If only someone had been able to cast that over me when I was hurt! And here's another positive spell - a mystical defence that lies on the body like armour... and to go with it, a spell to make the caster as strong as a bear...there's one more...Oh! A spell to lift the caster from the earth and make him fly... for an instant only."

Max closes the book. "Well, I am no expert in spells Mortus - I can only read them. Here, take the book back - reading it will be good practice for when you attend university. These are powerful spells, and some of them are very dangerous, as I said. But I can see nothing forbidden, no invocations of dark powers or anything of that sort. If Professor Teugen has books like that he'd keep them somewhere much safer, like in his own house."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 04, 2012, 01:51:16 PM
Mortus smiles and takes back the book.   She tucks it into a leather satchel that she is wearing.   Then she sighes and digs into her food again.

"Do we have a plan or even an idea of what we are against?" she asks
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 04, 2012, 07:16:46 PM
Klaus will describe everyone what Megirius has said, that the inner circle members will hold their ritual alone in the warehouse and some thugs will guard the place also that Ruggbroder promised that he will make sure that there will be fighters around that will bust the place once we give them a signal.

"It is important that we donīt call the guards to early (because it is more dramatic) because we have to catch im the vile act. It is about time that I meet with Greta and organize the Ruggbroder bodyguards and what kind of signal we are going to use but you can join us. Julian, Heinrich what about you? Shall we meet afterwards close to the warehouse perhaps we should choose a location from Julians map and prepare ourselves for the ambush?"

I guess it is safe to say after Klaus hears the suggestions of the others he will take a bath and then leave to meet Greta.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 05, 2012, 02:36:45 AM
Heinrich has nothing to add.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 05, 2012, 01:01:09 PM
Julian will join the meeting to Greta, then wander down to where warehouse 13 is while the others visit the temple.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 05, 2012, 01:17:58 PM
Julian will join the meeting to Greta, then wander down to where warehouse 13 is while the others visit the temple.
I'll stick with Jules.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:09:24 PM
Once they've all finished eating, bathing and otherwise preparing themselves for the day, Klaus, Max, Mortus, Julian and Heinrich leave the inn to meet Greta. It's still relatively early in the day, but it's already noticeable how much quieter the town is than it was during the Schaffenfest. The sun is shining brightly at first, but as they walk through the streets, clouds begin to gather. By the time they reach the Adel Ring the sky is grey and unfriendly.

A watch patrol glance suspiciously at the group as they enter the park. There's no one visible inside - the group walk to the fountain at the centre, and then patrol the perimeter, but there's no sign of Greta. The appointed hour of the meeting comes and goes, and still there's no sign.

Then a boy dressed in servant's livery approaches the group. He holds up a scroll to Klaus, bearing the town's coat of arms upon it.

"Letter for you, sir," he says.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/messenger.jpg)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 05, 2012, 10:14:28 PM
Klaus opens the letters looks at it and hands it over to Max,

"tell the others whats going on Max!"


Klaus is tense, ready to take flight and leave the others confused behind.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:32:23 PM
The boy runs away immediately after delivering the letter. Klaus pretends to read it (he does so very convincingly) and passes it to Max, who reads it aloud, "Dear sir, I have something urgent to communicate to you at once. Please come to my house on the Adel Ring without delay. Miss Greta is here with me. Councillor Freidrich Magirius."

Max looks surprised. He looks expectantly at Klaus, clearly waiting for him to say something clever.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 05, 2012, 10:32:39 PM
"Hold where you are boy" Julian says, waiting to see what the letter contains before the boys goes. If the boy runs julian will try to grab him.

[That picture of the boy is scary as fuck.]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:37:00 PM
Julian tries to grab the boy before he can flee...

[Julian makes an I test... dice roll = 25! I = 26, so pass!]

...and catches hold of his arm. The boy tries to twist out of Julian's grip, shouting "Let go!"

[S test = 3, S2 so failure].

Julian holds onto him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 05, 2012, 10:38:56 PM
"Who gave you this boy....answer quick!"

Klaus looks very confident and has tries to look like a nobleman showing a servant his place to not attract too much attention of the guards.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:41:52 PM
The boy meets Klaus's gaze with a horribly dead-eyed stare, and replies in a calm voice. "The councilor gave it to me. Can't you read, idiot?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 05, 2012, 10:43:22 PM
Heinrich will try his hand at intimidating the boy.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:44:47 PM
Heinrich will try his hand at intimidating the boy.

[what does Heinrich say/do?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 05, 2012, 10:47:45 PM
Heinrich will try his hand at intimidating the boy.

[what does Heinrich say/do?]

He will begin sharpening his axe, and stare at the boy, then say: "Loosen your tongue or lose it, boy."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 05, 2012, 10:51:35 PM
"why is he talking like that Max, has Teugen cursed him?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 05, 2012, 10:54:36 PM
Max shakes his head at Julian's question. "I... I - I don't know, Mr. Julian Sir. There's something wrong here, but..." he trails off, unsure what to say.

The boy sneers contemptuously at Heinrich. "Is that the best you can do? I can see this isn't going to work... here's a threat for you instead: leave town now, or die."

He suddenly vanishes. His voice can still be heard, hanging on the empty air, "each of you will suffer an infinity of deaths. The realm of the master awaits you."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 05, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
Heinrich snorts dismissively.
"I tire of these games. Let us simply kill everyone involved, and be done with this town."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 06:41:44 AM
"Oh no....they have Greta."

Klaus feels hot and cold, even though he doesnīt know Greta too well he started to like her and now he is pretty sure that she is as good as dead. Going to the mansion and trying to free her must be certain death, suicide. Still he feels guilty and wants to go there to help her.

But what if they are caught, who else might stop the ritual?

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 09:00:04 AM
Max tentatively reaches out and puts his hand on Klaus's shoulder, trying to comfort him. "Maybe... maybe they don't really have Greta, Klaus... they might have delayed her somehow, or Ruggbroder may have sent her to do something else... I don't know. But we don't know she's in trouble. Please don't worry! I think we should go to the temple now and pray for guidance. Father always said Sigmar listens to our prayers, and helps those who are strong enough to please him."

He looks around him, nervously, picturing evil behind every tree.

"I don't think we should hang around here. That....that demon might be about to spring a trap on us."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 09:48:36 AM
"I agree we should leave here at once."

Klaus looks around and leaves the Adelsring with a fast pace...while walking he states. He talked with Greta and only she knew where they wanted to meet the next day, so either they got her and tortured the information out of her, or even worse Ruggbroder joined them in hopes of getting his share of the pie of economical domination of the Empire and not only Bogenhafen. "I am not sure anymore that we might get help from the Ruggbroders we could find out what happened by going to Magirius place but most likely it is a deathtrap. Lets go to the temple and afterwards try to plan how to interrupt the ritual without any help. " Looking at Max he considers telling his thoughts about Greta, but that would only lead to Max suggesting saving her, and thus most likely mean his death too.

"Or we could leave the city. Max what kind of spell might they be able to cast to gain an advantage over Reikland or Nuln regarding trade?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 06, 2012, 10:16:06 AM
Julian is left floundering as the boy disappears from his grasp.

“What in the name of grungni was that? That’s the second disappearing creature we have seen in 2 days. This Teugen is obviously a very powerful sorcerer. ”

Shaken, Julian takes his pipe from his pack and starts ritualistically preparing to smoke: emptying the old tobacco, using some paper as a filter and refilling the bowl, before lighting it
After a moment of thought, he says
“I suspect this is a trap, but I don’t want to leave magirius and greta in their hands… Is Ruggbroder complicit too? Klaus I fear we wont get our reward. Still I think we are in too deep, and too much is at stake to flee now.”
 “Heinrich, do you think you could sneak to magirius’ house and take a look? Do we have your listening horn or any of those smoke bombs or anything left, Klaus?

Otherwise I’m not sure what else to do… we should go and scope out the warehouse area, I think there is access from the sewers which should make it easier to sneak into it if is guarded from the street.”
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 10:24:49 AM
"I still have the listening horn several caltrops and 3 more uses of the stink bombs...they are more stinking than smoking. I .....would like to help Greta (Magirius can rot in the wastes) but ít would be best if not all of us went there. If we get caught the others have to find a way to stop the ritual. Maybe Heinrich and me should go there and see what we can find out. What I donīt understand, the watch is looking for us. Teugen could have dispatched us with ease if he just would have sent the watch here to collect us. I canīt figure out what he is up to. Going in via the sewers might be the best choice but I think by now they will expect us coming from there too. "
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:54:25 AM
As soon as she saw the boy Mortus seemed to tense and her face whitened a little.   Her grip on her staff tightened and her eyes narrowed.   She listened in complete silence to the message and the threat afterwards.   When the group started to leave the park she went with them.   Her breathing is coming very shallow and swift as she walks and she keeps glancing around with increasing levels of nervousness.

"They know about us, Julian," she says.   "It doesn't matter which way we approach they will be waiting for us.   We should break into Magirius' house and look around and we should look around warehouse 13 but we should be ready for a fight."   She pauses and takes a deep breath to steady herself.   "I think splitting up is not such a good idea now.   maybe we should stay above ground, if they expect us to come in via the sewer then it would at least surprise them if we stayed above ground."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 12:03:32 PM
"But if they catch us...everything will be lost."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 12:14:34 PM
Max thinks very hard about Klaus's question. Eventually, he says, "I don't think there's any way to use magic to affect large-scale trade... from what I learned at university, magic just isn't that subtle... magic can destroy things, or call up creatures from other worlds... there are even spells to create the appearance of things that aren't true... but I've never heard of any wizard using magic to control trade. It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, we know that Professor Teugen's ritual needs human sacrifice to power it somehow - only the most evil magic needs that sort of atrocity to make it happen. He must be trafficking with demons... we've seen some examples of that already.

"I think he's deceived the other members of the ordo - remember what Magirius said, and what that letter Mr. Julian found in Teugen's office implied. I think he intends to summon more demons into the town. Imagine if he succeeds! Everyone here would be killed. We have to stop him, even if it means... uh..." his voice trails off. He sounds very frightened, but curiously determined at the same time. He makes the sign of the hammer. "Holy Sigmar, grant us your strength."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 12:16:33 PM
Klaus will check what Max has seen that has frightened him so his hand instantly going to his club.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 12:31:14 PM
"I'm sorry Klaus, I thought I saw something... just for a moment. But I can't have done. I'm just nervous. I don't think we should go near Magirius's house... especially not in daylight, in the middle of the Adel Ring... oh, but I don't need to tell any of you that! I'm sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut and do as I am told." He looks ashamed of himself for seeing things that aren't there, and speaking out of turn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 12:34:51 PM
"What have you seen Max? With vile sorcery at work and demons prowling the streets everything seems possible. "



Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 12:44:14 PM
"I thought I saw...Boris. But he's dead, Klaus!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 12:47:10 PM
"Boris! Where?"

Klaus is turning very pale and beads of sweat appear on his forehead even though it is rather warm right now, his eyes wide in horror he scans the surrounding. Licking nervously over his lips he adds..

"Where can we gain allies now, who might be able to help us.....there are friggin demon worshippers right under the nose of the authorities...well they ARE the authority. Sigmar safe us."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 01:17:52 PM
"Maybe a priest," Mortus says, fear in her voice.   "The warrior priests of Sigmar."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 01:29:40 PM
"I thought I saw him walk past, just over there," Max points, but there's no one in the direction he indicates. "I think it was my imagination... father always said I was a dreamer.

"You're right, Mortus - surely the priests will help us!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 01:34:32 PM
"We could go to the temple of sigmar and ask for help but why should they believe us...do we have any more proof? Well we have the letter. Any other ideas how we could help Greta?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 06, 2012, 01:48:53 PM
"We cannot help her by blindly walking into a trap. I will go and scout the situation. If I can find a way to free her I will. The rest of you scout the sewer entrance to the warehouse that Julian mentioned. Make sure there aren't any unpleasant surprises, and I will meet you there at dusk."

Heinrich begins to head toward Magirius' without waiting for an argument. He will stick to back alleys and shadows as much as possible, and will examine the building from a distance to see if he can discern what's going on there.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 01:55:14 PM
"We can't just let Heinrich go in there by himself," Mortus says, the horror increasing in her voice.   She takes a deep breath.   "I will go with him.   You should talk to the warrior priest, maybe a witch hunter if there is one in the town.   We should meet at warehouse thirteen at dusk."

Mortus will hurry after Heinrich.   As she hurries after him she tries to shift the feeling of dread that is assaulting her.   Is splitting the party the right thing to do?   There is no way that Heinrich can be allowed go alone and Julian needs to examine the warehouse.   She closes her hand over the hilt of the small knife at her belt.   May the Lord save and guide them.

Still she has a respect for Heinrich's shooting ability since the first quest she had with him.   She believes that they can fight their way out of trouble.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 06, 2012, 01:58:30 PM
"We should also scout above ground of the warehouse, and get lunch if we can! the day is still young"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 02:04:39 PM
"How can you consider eating right now?!" Klaus stomach is in turmoil mostly because of Max mentioning Boris, while walking towards the temple of Sigmar he often looks over his shoulder nervously.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 02:21:01 PM
Heinrich and Mortus go towards the Magirius house, doing their best to stay out of sight. Heinrich is very skilled at this, but Mortus is less adept... however, they are able to approach through the park, until they can see the house clearly.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/map3.jpg)

[It's the third from the right, on the row of six houses on the Adel Ring, above the park. It backs onto a busy square with all the temples on it. I hope it's clear which one I mean!]

It's a medium-sized but expensive house, with a neat garden surrounded by a ten-foot high wall. The gates are standing open... as is the front door. There's no sign of anything going on there... and there is no one in sight on the street either.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 02:25:21 PM
Mortus will glance at Heinrich and then walk into the house via the front door.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 02:41:15 PM
Julian decides to wander around in the Adel Ring, hoping to see any danger that might beset Heinrich and Mortus. He strolls about, exchanging pleasantries with the few passers by he sees. Despite the sinister child's threat, there are no patrols of watchmen rushing to arrest them, and no gangs of dockland thugs either. It's almost too quiet.


Klaus and Max walk quickly to the Gottenplatz, where most of the town's temples are located. The Temple to Sigmar the Divine dominates the square. They climb the marble steps and enter a huge central chamber, eight-sided and decorated with glorious frescoes: Sigmar, slaying dozens of goblins armed only with an animal's jawbone. Sigmar, being presented with his hammer by the dwarf king. Sigmar, enthroned in majesty as First Emperor. Sigmar, setting aside his crown and going into the mountains, to return his hammer to the dwarfs. A golden altar stands at one end of the hall, beneath a massive icon of a hammer. Max gasps at the beauty of the temple, and makes the sign of the hammer.

There are no benches in the temple: worshipers must kneel on the stone floor. Max does so, bowing his head, and begins to pray, "Holy Sigmar, father and defender, grant me your strength, though I am weak. Fill me with courage, though I am afraid..."

His prayer continues for some time. Klaus looks around the room - there are a few other worshipers scattered around, and a robed man close to the altar who is presumably the priest.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 02:45:41 PM
Klaus also murmurrs a short and silent prayer.

"Oh mighty Sigmar ...help us. Please?"

He then waits for Max to finish his prayers before he approaches the Sigmarite priest.......I hope this one is friendlier than Sir Martin.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 03:01:44 PM
[Does Sigmar bless Klaus or Max... % chance... Klaus rolls 34. Max rolls 45. No blessings! Thanks a lot, Sigmar.]

Max finishes his prayer and stands up. Klaus goes over to the priest, with Max following. The priest looks at them both, then speaks to Klaus, "May I help you, my son?"

The priest is a stocky, middle-aged man with broad shoulders. His robes are adorned with a stylized torch, in addition to the usual signs of the hammer and the octagon.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 03:04:53 PM
"Yes....uhm...father." Klaus replies and it is easy to notice that he has no clue how to adress the priest and overall how to act in a temple.

"Perhaps it would be best if we can retreat to somewhere more private, we have dire news about a threat that lurks in the midst of Bogenhafen."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 03:20:24 PM
"It's true, father, really!" Max says, "I swear before Holy Sigmar that we are telling the truth!"

The priest looks alarmed, and directs them into a small room behind the altar. It's a robing room, with another door leading elsewhere. He closes the door they came in by.

"I am Father Albrecht," he says, "now, tell me quickly what you think is wrong - and I will hold you to your vow, boy" he says to Max, his face stern, "such words are not to be spoken lightly. If you are lying I will direct you to undergo penance."

Max turns pale and is unable to speak. The priest frowns and looks to Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 03:31:40 PM
Mortus will glance at Heinrich and then walk into the house via the front door.

As Mortus is about to walk towards the house, Heinrich sees something move behind one of the upstairs windows in the house. It's only a flash...

[observe test to identify what it was = 75, fail]

...and he can't be sure what it was.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 03:34:03 PM
A watch patrol sees Julian wandering around the Adel Ring, and approaches him. "You, dwarf!" the leader calls out, "what's your business in this area?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 06, 2012, 04:09:18 PM
'Good evening sir' Julian bows deeply. 'Julian stonebridge ,engineering consultant at your service. Just enjoying the park and the pipe. Been a busy few dayswith the festival. I've been doing some work on sewer maintenance, you can check with stumpf at the town hall. I have a bit more work lined up now, but was just relaxing for a moment. '
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 04:16:55 PM
[Julian is class C, social-standing-wise, while watchmen are class D. So, he can use his Ld instead of his Fel if he wants... and since his Ld is much higher, he does! Ld test = 26 = pass, by a good margin]

"I see, sir," the patrol leader says, "I apologize for bothering you. But there have been a number of crimes in this area lately, so we've been told to be more cautious than normal - isn't that right, boys?" The other watchmen nod, one rolling his eyes. They don't look especially vigilant.

"There's even a dwarf wanted for questioning, which is why I wanted to speak to you. But he's a nasty type, this dwarf we're after, not a respectable fellow like yourself. I'll bid you good day then, sir. Move on, boys!"

The patrol walk on, towards the Teugen mansion.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 06, 2012, 04:47:59 PM
"Morr take that fool woman!" Heinrich curses. Staying hidden, he will circle the house, looking for alternate entrances. He will pay extra attention to the windows.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 05:07:10 PM
Heinrich has to enter the garden to circle the house... he does so, while Mortus strolls in the front door. Keeping hidden behind bushes and trees, Heinrich discovers another door at the rear of the house. This one is closed. He doesn't see any more movement at the windows... but there is an open window at ground level. He can hear a faint noise coming from the room beyond the window, but he's not sure what it is.


Mortus enters the house, and finds herself in a small hallway. There's a stand holding a selection of walking sticks by the door, and a staircase leading up in front of her. She can see three other doors, one of which is slightly open.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 06, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
"Father Albrecht we already came before a person for help and instead of listening to us we got flooged, against all reason we come again to a person of influence and offer our warnings and hope to gain help and allies and not again threats and punishment. We risked our lives to get these informations and coming to you is our last resort. The Ordo Septenaris is a cult of demon worshipers, their charity is a cover to hide their vile intentions, they already summoned a demon and killed innocent to sanctify their unholy temple, this night they plan to commit an even larger ritual and nobody but them knows to what end, we tried to inform the Baron but his Captain of the guard didnīt listen to us, we tried to inform the watch but part of them is bought and helps to protect the culprits, the Stevedores guild is also involved. So father Albrecht what we ask of you is help, if you have influence or even some templars that might help us preventing the ritual we beg you to join our quest to end this witchery."

Klaus will try to use his luck....this time he will bolt should the priest suggest any flooging or similar.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 10:14:18 PM
Mortus will go into the room with the open doorway.   She is a little worried that Heinrich did not come into the house with her but she decides that she has come too far to not to contuine.   Shw grips her staff more tightly as she does
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 10:33:34 PM
[Klaus]

Klaus makes an impassioned speech. How convincing is he?

[Fel test at -10 for class difference = 31! Luck use (as directed) for 21! Convincing!]

As Father Albrecht listens to Klaus, he paces rapidly up and down. "This story is unbelievable... but there is truth behind your words... even so, demons, here? Surely I would know! I should have known... the omens have been clear - the witch moon, grinning upon the town; the arrival of the flagellants, who always gather when evil is at work. And yet..."

He turns on Max suddenly, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him close, "You, boy, who are you?"

"M-M-Maximillian Breytenbach, father. Student at Magnus College, Nuln. It's all true, father, I swear!"

"I saw you praying earlier, boy. You are a true follower of Holy Sigmar?"

"Y-y-yes f-f-father. I try to be."

"Would you lie to me? I will scourge the flesh from your back if you lie to me!"

"I wouldn't dare, father! Everything Klaus said is true. Professor Teugen is behind it all! He's a sorcerer, and he calls forth demons to do his bidding. He's going to do something horrible tonight - a ritual, driven by human sacrifice. We think it will open a gate to the realm of the ruinous powers!"

"You dare name them here!" The priest lets go of Max, but backhands him across the face. He falls to the floor, whimpering.

"I must commune with Holy Sigmar. They two of you will remain in this room while I go before the altar. Do not leave!"

He goes back into the main hall of the temple, closing the door behind him. Max is kneeling on the floor, praying softly. The priest has split his lip.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 11:00:22 PM
[Mortus]

The floor creaks as Mortus walks across the hallway. She pushes the door until it is fully open. She stops and listens, but still hears nothing.

Beyond the door is a reception room, containing several couches and chairs, a low table, and a drinks cabinet. There's no sign of anyone being in there... she walks through the door.

There's another door to her left, and... someone jumps out from behind the door she just came through!

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/bodyguard.gif)

A tough-looking man with an absurd hairstyle swings at her with hands augmented by knuckledusters...

[Attacker: 2 attacks - to hit one = 60 = miss
- to hit two = 01 = hit, hits head. S3 + 1 (strike mighty blow skill) + d6 roll of 1 - T5 = no wounds!]

...Mortus instinctively recoils, and his blow fails to connect with any force.

[Mortus was surprised, and can't act this round. Next round, the attacker (Initiative 45) goes before her]

Before Mortus can react further, the man swings at her again...

[Attacker to hit one = 18, hits right leg. S3 + 1 +d6 roll of 4 - T5 = 3 wounds
- to hit two = 30, hits head. S3 +1 + d6 roll of 3 - T5 = 2 wounds]

Mortus is hit twice: one punch smashes into her leg, and another hits her in the head. She's badly hurt.

[Mortus has zero wounds left, and is heavily wounded. Further wounds will cause critical hits!]

Mortus is now able to act.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:07:31 PM
Mortus is going to swing her club at him, casting sleep and praying for the best
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 11:16:33 PM
Mortus swings her staff at the man, speaking the incantation that will hopefully render him unconscious. Her attack goes wide, but at the same moment her bruised leg gives way under her and she stumbles forward... contacting the man at the moment her spell is released. There is an audible discharge of magic, and a multicoloured wave of light that flows across his body.

[Attacker WP save = 100! Asleep for d6 minutes (secret roll]

His eyes roll back and he drops like a stone. Mortus falls across him. She scrambles to her feet a moment later. There's no immediate sign of anyone else nearby.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:18:26 PM
Mortus is going to batter him silly, dead hopefully and then search the room.   Once she has done that she will quickly leave the house and hurry (as fast as she can) back into the Ring, trying to hide her wounds.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 11:28:33 PM
Mortus clubs the unconscious man until his skull cracks. He's either dead or very close to it. But the noise has attracted some attention - someone is coming down the stairs!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:40:07 PM
Mortus will hide behind the door, swearing to herself that she did not flee when she had the chance.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 11:41:57 PM
Another man enters the room. He cries out in shock when he sees the man on the floor, and crouches down to check if he's alive. He hasn't noticed Mortus yet.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:43:34 PM
Mortus will batter him over the head, casting her sleep spell.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 06, 2012, 11:48:28 PM
Mortus brings her staff down on the man's head, chanting her spell. He hears her and starts to turn, but it's too late...

[Mortus: to hit roll = 28, hit. Casts sleep - WP test for the man = 49, fail! Asleep for d6 minutes (secret roll)]

...the spell works and he's rendered inactive.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 06, 2012, 11:50:03 PM
Batter him bloody as well, then search the men and the room swiftly and get out of there.   Mortus is none too please with the turn of events.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 12:07:26 AM
Mortus hits the man a few times until she's sure he won't get up again. She quickly searches both men - they have a total of 18 shillings on them. There's nothing much in the room: a few ornaments, and some bottles of spirits in the drinks cabinet. Mortus thinks she can hear someone walking about upstairs... she decides to leave.

She goes back into the hallway, glancing up the stairs - no one is visible. She quickly darts outside, into the garden. As she does, she hears a shout from upstairs and the sound of someone running. She hurries into the street.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 12:10:01 AM
Mortus swears to herself as she hurries from the house, desperately looking around for Julian or Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 12:39:43 AM
Heinrich will look into the open window. If there is no one there he will enter it, axe and dagger ready, with bow slung accross his back.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 09:09:20 AM
Heinrich looks through the window. The room on the other side is a study, with a heavy desk and book-filled shelves. But his eyes are immediately drawn to a woman, tied to a chair and gagged! She's straining against her bonds - when she sees Heinrich her eyes widen. Could this be Greta?

He climbs in...as he does, he sees her eyes go to the door. He immediately notices the trip-wire set up to catch anyone entering the room that way. It's set to trigger a pair of crossbows, both aimed at the door.

At this point, Heinrich hears the sounds of a struggle going on in one of the other rooms in the house. Someone runs down the stairs, shouting.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 09:16:17 AM
Mortus runs down the street, her injured leg slowing her. She doesn't dare look back, but she can hear that she's being chased. Suddenly, she sees Julian - he's smoking his pipe as he strolls casually around.


Julian has been watching the Magirius house, while trying to make it look as though he's doing nothing of the sort. Now he sees Mortus, spattered with blood, running from the house towards him. Two men are chasing her! There's no one else in sight at the moment, but the watch patrol he spoke to can't be far away.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 09:21:06 AM
Klaus will check if there are escapre routes out of the room...if not he will stay close enough to the room to escape should the priest come with guards to arrest him.

"Max....get up if they wonīt help us we run, I wonīt let them flog me again and I suggest you do the same. I really hate it that this guy too vented his shock and fear into violence against us....well mainly you. Get ready and should I give the signal the two of us will get away."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 09:29:57 AM
Klaus tries the handle of the other door in the room. It's locked.

"He's going to flog me, Klaus," Max says, still kneeling on the floor, "I know he is! I can't go through that again... I can't!" He continues to pray, remaining on his knees.

Shortly after, Father Albrecht returns to the room. His face is grey, and his head bowed. He closes the door, and speak to Klaus.

"I have failed in my duty," the priest says, "the signs were there, and I did not notice them. When I went before the altar I felt Holy Sigmar's rightful anger - it struck me like his golden hammer, shattering my pride. I must do a heavy penance to regain his favour." He sighs deeply. "I apologize for my harsh words earlier. I did not want to believe you - but in the face of the fury of my divine lord I have no option but to believe you." He puts a hand on Max's shoulder, "stand up, my son - I was wrong to strike you. You need not fear that I will do so again."

Max stands up, his face hopeful.

"Teugen is head of the town council. I myself am a member of the council - but it is dominated by merchants and their allies, and I am seldom heard. In any case, there is no time for anything but direct action. I am not a warrior, and neither are my initiates here at the temple. Neither do I have knights to call upon. I will call upon the watch for aid - Teugen may have some of them, but the captain is a good man and will hear me. If you intend to face the enemy in battle I can ask Sigmar to lend you his strength. Do you have a weapon? Present it to me."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 11:11:09 AM
Mortus will run to Julian.

"Master Dwarf, master Dwarf," she cries.   "You have to help me.   You must."   There are tears in her eyes and she is holding her leg in obvious pain.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 11:39:54 AM
"I.....I`m no warrior either...."Klaus replies confused but gets his club out. "You might want to bless the weapons of my companions though Heinrich and Juilan. Father I have to ask you to wait alarming the watch if Teugen realizes that he is uncovered and in danger he might flee the city and escape justice. If you talk to the captain you have to be incredibly discrete and also the watch only should strike as soon as the ritual has started so we will catch all of the culprits in the act. Canīt you appeal to the baron send a messenger after him. The captain of his guard might listen to you. I would also ask you not mentioning my name or the name of my friend here Max. At least not until all of this is over."


Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 12:27:06 PM
"We must all be warriors now, in the face of evil. Your friends are not here, and I cannot wait for them. Ah, a club - not a hammer, but close enough. It will serve." The priest takes Klaus's club, and intones a prayer over it. Klaus feels his hair stand on end, and sees a faint, glowing light move across the club for a moment. The priest returns it to him. "There. Call on Sigmar as you strike, and he will guide your arm."

[Klaus's club is now blessed: he may call upon the power of Sigmar once, when facing Teugen and his cultists. He will then be affected by the Hammerhand spell: this gives him +2 S and +1 A until the enemy is defeated. He is also filled with supernatural courage: he will automatically pass the next fear test he is required to take.]

Father Albrecht turns to Max. "You too, my son, must fight... I see that you are armed. Is that an axe?"

"Yes father."

"Axes are the Battlerager's: I cannot bless them. But I see you also have a bow. Give me an arrow."

Max hands him an arrow, and the priest prays again. He returns the arrow to Max, and then says: "You look weak, my son - you have been injured in body and mind in the last few days? Be resolute: Sigmar is with you."

He takes Max's head in both hands, and speaks another prayer. The cut on Max's lip disappears, and strength returns to him visibly. When the priest releases him he sinks to his knees, a rapt expression on his face as he makes the sign of the hammer.

[Max's arrow is blessed: it will strike truly if shot upon an evil enemy, and will smite the target with divine wrath. He is also filled with courage, so as to pass the next fear test. Furthermore, he has been healed of some of his injuries, and regains d4 wounds... dice roll = 3]

"Now, I must know where the evil magic is to be performed."

"It begins at dusk, father, in warehouse 13. There will be nine cultists within the warehouse, and they will kill someone to prepare their spell. The warehouse will be surrounded by dockland thugs. All must be complete before midnight - and I think Professor Teugen is committed to perform the spell tonight, and will not delay."

Father Abrecht nods. He speaks to Klaus, "I will be cautious, do not fear. I still have some influence in this town - and Holy Sigmar is with me. Those who defy me will feel his vengeance! I will speak to the captain of the watch, and also to the captain of the baron's guard if I can. You are right that the sorcerers must be caught in the act: if there is any doubt, they will escape justice. Therefore I will not act until dusk. And do not fear that I will give your names. You may be guilty of other crimes: they are irrelevant. All that matters now is following Sigmar's command.

"You must go by stealth into the warehouse. I will bring what forces I can to battle Teugen's thugs, but we must not allow his spells to be cast! Someone must be within to stop him. Sigmar has laid this task on you: you cannot refuse it."

"I am ready, father," Max says, "I will not fail, and I know that Klaus is ready too - he is a real hero, no matter how he denies it."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
Heinrich will cut Greta loose. He will then tell her to escape via the window. Thinking the commotion must be Mortus getting herself killed, he will disable the door trap and attempt to go in to her rescue.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 01:45:34 PM
Heinrich cuts Greta's bonds and tells her to escape. She shakes her head, "You're one of Klaus's lot, right? Well, if you're staying then I'm staying too - I want a shot at these bastards."

Heinrich breaks the trigger mechanism for the trap - easily done from this side. Greta takes one of the crossbows. He opens the door, in time to see two men run out of the house, presumably chasing Mortus. Another two armed men are still the hall, and gape at Heinrich and Greta in surprise. Greta shoots at one:

[surprise round: enemies may not act]

[Greta: to hit = 49 = hit, hits left leg. S4 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = 4 wounds]

It hits the man in the leg, and he stumbles backward, crying out in pain.

Heinrich wastes no time in attacking the other one, with his axe in one hand and his dagger in the other:

[Heinrich to hit axe: 22 = hit,  hits right arm. S4 + 1 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage?... no) - T3 = 8 = reduced to zero wounds!]
to hit dagger = 61 = miss]

His axe cuts deeply into the man's arm.

[round two: I order = Greta, Heinrich, bodyguard, bodyguard]

Greta drops the crossbow and attacks the man she shot, aiming a kick at him:

[Greta: 2 attacks, street fighting: attack one = 88 = miss
attack two = 19 = hit, hits left leg. S5 + 1 + d6 roll of 4 - T3 = 7 wounds! 8 on profile, 4 taken already. -3 critical hit = 46 = horrible injury!]

She kicks him in the left leg, driving the crossbow bolt in so hard it smashes his femur. Blood fountains from the horrible wound. He collapses and will be dead in moments.

Heinrich attacks the other bodyguard again, before he can react:

[Heinrich to hit: axe = 21 = hit, hits head. S4 + 1 + d6 roll of 4 - T3 = 6 wounds = -6 critical = death!]

His axe cuts into the man's face, shattering his skull and spraying blood, bone and brain tissue all over the area.

"We'd better get out of here," Greta says.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 01:53:42 PM
Heinrich nods, hands Greta his axe, draws his bow, and chases after the men he saw run out a moment ago.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 01:56:50 PM
They run out onto the street. Heinrich sees two men ahead of him both pursuing Mortus - she's limping and spattered with blood. Further down the street, he can see Julian. No one else is immediately visible.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 01:59:37 PM
Heinrich will arrow the bad guys.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 02:11:53 PM
Heinrich draws and shoots his bow with a practiced movement:

[Heinrich to hit roll = 07 = hit, hits head! S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 5 wounds]

The arrow hits one of the men, grazing the side of his head and ripping his ear in half! He screams, trips and falls on his face. The other man stops running and turns around.

[Ld test for bodyguard = 23, pass]

Bellowing with rage, he charges towards Heinrich and Greta. Heinrich has time to loose another arrow before he reaches them, and does so:

[Heinrich to hit roll = 55 = hit! Hits left arm. S3 + 4 - T3 = 4 wounds]

The arrow sticks in the man's arm, but he keeps coming, swinging his club. Greta steps forward to meet him, Heinrich's axe in her hand.

[Greta (2 attacks) to hit roll one: 76 = miss
to hit roll two = 68 = miss]

The man steps aside from her axe swing, and aims his club at her:

[Bodyguard (2 attacks) to hit one: 84 = miss
to hit two = 09 = hit, hits right leg. S5 + 1 + d6 roll of 1 - T4 = 3 wounds.]

[Greta has 6 wounds left]

[Next round, Greta acts first]

Greta swings the axe again...

[Greta to hit one: 25 = hit, hits left arm. S5 + 1 + d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 8 wounds. -4 critical = 81 = dead!]

... this time she hits. The axe crashes through the leg and destroys the pelvis, killing the man immediately and spraying blood over everyone!


The man Heinrich shot before gets up and starts to run towards the park.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 02:23:25 PM
Heinrich will shoot him again if he is able.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 02:29:28 PM
[Ha! I didn't need to ask, really]

Heinrich draws and shoots yet again.

[Heinrich to hit roll = 56 = hit! Hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 5 wounds. 5 taken already, 8 on profile. -2 critical = 83 = death!]

The arrow catches him in the spine, splitting it like a tree branch. There's a ghastly, sickening noise as he dies. His body hits the ground a moment later.

"Nice shooting," Greta says, "but someone is bound to have seen or heard us. We should run before the watch arrive... unless you feel like explaining this to them."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 02:32:55 PM
"Not this time." Heinrich says reufally. He moves to help Mortus, and we'll all head to a surgeon.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 02:39:38 PM
Fortunately, the entire fight took little more than a minute. If anyone did see it happen, they must be hiding... Heinrich, Greta, Mortus and Julian head towards the physician's guild. They first duck into an alley once out of the Adel Ring, and try to clean off as much blood as they can... even so, they are a bit conspicuous.

[Are they noticed by any watch patrols? 60 % chance... three times! 84, 79, 71.... what's wrong with this dice roller! ridiculous.]

But, maybe the watch are busy with other matters. No one challenges them, and they arrive at the physician's guild without a hitch. Inside, a girl approaches them.

"Oh my, you people seem to have been in a fight! What happened?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 03:14:01 PM
"Thank you father and yes we will leave for the warehouse right now...maybe we can sneak in before the thugs position themselves. I just hope the others are well too but worst case we have to do it ourselves." Klaus demeanor has somehow changed...his paranoia replaced by dashing courage he isnīt looking over his shoulder any more and his eyes instead of darting left and right show a grim determination he has a wide grin on his face (I guess the courage magic thing also changes his thoughts a little bit...at least as long as the spell lasts, I guess he feels invincible right now like he had sneezed some cocain.

"Max come along lets bring justice to this scum!"

With this Klaus will leave for the warehouse 13 telling Max on the way there how to best sneak in a city where to duck in a side ally and how to approach the target the best....it doesnīt really matter if he doesnīt get a bonus Klaus will just show off a bit.

If there are already lots of thugs patrolling around he might wait otherwise he will try to climb into the warehouse via a window or break the lock of a door and hope for the others to arrive at dusk.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 03:15:37 PM
"The girl was accosted by thugs intent on stealing her innocence! We managed to rescue her just in time, but those villains badly savaged her leg. We have plenty of money, and hope for your discretion. Even the rumor of such an attack could ruin the poor lady's reputation."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 03:38:45 PM
[Heinrich, Julian, Mortus, Greta]

The girl's eyes widen as she hears Heinrich's shocking story. "Merciful Shallya, that's dreadful! And in broad daylight too - whatever is this town coming to? Please, miss, come with me to see Doktor Hassler - she'll look after you, and you can be sure she'll keep this in confidence. Meanwhile, sir, would you and the other lady like to clean yourselves up? I'll have a servant bring you water to wash with. No charge for that - I'm so glad you were able to protect the poor girl!"

The girl leads Mortus to a consultation room. A servant brings warm water and some rags to Heinrich and Greta, so that they can clean themselves better. They could still do with changing their clothes, but they are no longer noticeably covered in gore.

Mortus is treated by Doktor Hassler, a middle-aged woman with a stern face but a kindly manner.

[Her attentions restore d3 wounds to Mortus... dice roll = 3. She is now lightly wounded, and will recover further wounds by natural healing].

The treatment costs Mortus 3 crowns.

Once all this is done, the group leave the physicians' guild.

"So where's Klaus?" Greta says. "Keeping out of danger, I bet. Fine. Do you know where the targets are planning to hold their party? If so, I'll report to my boss and get things moving. Oh, and thanks for the use of the axe. Here you go."

She returns Heinrich's axe, smiling slightly as she does so.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 03:43:20 PM
"Warehouse 13." Heinrich smiles back as he accepts his axe. "Klaus was gathering some more assistance for us."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 07, 2012, 03:59:32 PM
Greta, where were you taken? How did they know you were involved?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 04:00:10 PM
[Klaus and Max]

"Sigmar walks with you," Father Albrecht says. He makes the sign of the hammer as Klaus and Max leave the room.

"Oh Klaus!" Max says, "did you feel it? The presence of Holy Sigmar himself! It's amazing! I never thought I'd be worthy... father said Sigmar only helps the strong... but he was wrong, wasn't he? Sigmar has chosen us to be his instruments! I feel as though I could take on Professor Teugen and all his minions all at once!"

Max listens attentively to everything Klaus tries to show him, and follows his instructions to the best of his ability... though he's a little slow to react, and doesn't always see danger in time.

They reach the docks by mid-afternoon. As usual, the area is packed with people loading and unloading riverboats of all sizes and descriptions. Max sees a boat run entirely by halflings - he smiles and waves at them as they unload their casks of pipeweed. Klaus warns him not to draw attention to himself.

Warehouse 13 is easy to spot - Klaus may not know how to read, but he knows his numbers well. It's a two-level building with a double door at the front, and a loading door above it with a pulley system attached. There are three unpleasant-looking thugs lounging around by the door. They are currently shouting abuse at a dwarf trader, and haven't seen Klaus and Max.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/robbers.png)

[scary codpiece!]

Getting in the front way seems unlikely, so Klaus leads Max around the back. The building has narrow windows all down the sides: Klaus thinks he could probably squeeze through, with some difficulty. Max will fit much more easily. It may also be hard to open a window without making any noise. There's no one else in the alley at the moment, but someone might appear at any time.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 04:09:34 PM
[Julian, Heinrich, Mortus, Greta]

"13. Got it." Greta says to Heinrich, "I'll tell my boss that there might be some other people showing up to help take out the guards. I don't want us to be fighting the wrong people!"

She turns to Julian, and replies to his question, "I don't know what happened. I was in the park this morning waiting for Klaus to show. Then suddenly everything went black, and I woke up tied to a chair in Magirius's house. The thing is, I'd have heard someone sneaking up on me - I was ready for that. So whatever got me must have been... well, not normal. I don't know how they knew I'd be there, or even why I was there. They didn't even speak to me!

"If there's nothing else, I'll be off. Ranald guide you all."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 07, 2012, 04:14:17 PM
Greta, I did not want to say this, but I do not trust your boss. Teugens plan is to raise bogen hafen to trading primacy ,wy would your boss not want that?

I can't think how else they would know of you.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 04:20:56 PM
Greta looks angry, "You may not trust my boss, but I damn well do... and Klaus was happy enough to go along with this plan. He's paying you a lot of money, remember." She calms down a bit. "I know, no one likes rich people. The boss has his faults, right enough. But Teugen has been doing his best to wreck the boss's business for the last two years, and he's got pretty close to doing it too. Whatever he's planning to do tonight, Teugen is out to ruin him. You can be sure of that. The boss will do anything to stop him, and selling out you lot wouldn't help him one bit."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 07, 2012, 04:32:22 PM
I hope you are right Greta. If you are the drinks are on me tonight! ' Julian pats her on the back in a congenial fashion. to try and lighten the mood.

He will however not mention the sewers until she's gone.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 04:43:58 PM
Greta laughs, "I'll hold you to that! Now, I have to go. There's not much time left."

She leaves, ducking into a backstreet.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 05:23:13 PM
Is there anywhere to hide?

Klaus would like to check the windows and if there is a way he could open one without too much noise maybe even carefully breaking the glass on one, but right now he is only checking his options. If there is a hiding place from which he can overlook the back alley he would like to hide and see if there is some sort of thug patrol going around the warehouse regularly before he will try to bust into it.

He quickly informs Max about his plan.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 07:05:26 PM
Mortus will hop gingerly onto her legs and thank the doctor.

"I have no idea what could have happened to me if these good people had not come along," she says as she paid the doctor.   "I thought that all the problems were over with the fair being over."   She looks down at her clothes and smiles at the doctor.   "You would not happen to have some clothes that I could wear, I can pay you for them.   I do not want to go back into the street covered in blood."

Once they are alone again she will smile sheepishly at Heinrich.

"I am really sorry.   I wasn't expecting so many thugs in that house," she says.   "I thought that there might be one or two but I would be able to handle them."   She stops to think.   "I wonder if they were protecting anything, other than you Greta?   Would it be worth going back to take a look around?"   She closes her eyes for a second and then smiles.

"I am quite tired.   It is still early in the morning though," she says.   "Maybe I will get some rest before tonight.   We have to find and stop the ritual tonight, we have to, we have to."   Mortus' voice becomes higher and shriller when she is talking about the ritual, her face becomes whiter and her grip on her staff becomes stronger
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 07:24:35 PM
"I don't think they had any design other than to ambush and capture us. Going back would only invite more disaster. I have some experience with these sorts of traps, having set many like them myself. Trust me on this point."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 08:05:09 PM
Mortus smiles wanly at Heinrich.

"I'll trust you this time," she says.   "What is the plan?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 08:08:38 PM
Mortus smiles wanly at Heinrich.

"I'll trust you this time," she says.   "What is the plan?"

"We take the sewer route to the warehouse and put a stop to this ritual nonsense."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 08:11:21 PM
Klaus can't see anywhere to hide - he's in an alleyway between two warehouses. He decides to casually wander around in the alley and the narrow street behind the warehouse, keeping watch as he does. There doesn't seem to be any particular security around the building at the moment, besides the men at the door. Perhaps they don't want to draw attention to the building before the ritual begins.

He thinks he could probably lever open one of the windows while Max keeps watch. The risk would be relatively small. Max offers to go inside first to scout around, if they do manage to open the window.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 08:40:09 PM
"We may need to consider slightly more than that," Mortus says.   "I am not as wounded now but I will still not be great in a fight."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 09:25:29 PM
"We may need to consider slightly more than that," Mortus says.   "I am not as wounded now but I will still not be great in a fight."

"Of course not! I would never ask you to fight! Julian and I can handle any fighting."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 09:50:54 PM
"Ok Max we go inside...but no scouting around we will find a place to hide ....well maybe we can find the temple area and there we hide and keep silent and watch unitl the time has come to smite the demon scum with Sigmars righteous fury..."

Klaus seems confused for a moment why he has said this.....but still he moves and tries to carefully pry one of the windows in the back alley open and enter the warehouse.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 10:16:14 PM
She looks down at her clothes and smiles at the doctor.   "You would not happen to have some clothes that I could wear, I can pay you for them.   I do not want to go back into the street covered in blood."

The doctor calls in a servant, who fetches some old but serviceable clothes from a storeroom. "Take these with my compliments, my dear," the doctor says, "and try to keep your mind from your ordeal."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 10:33:00 PM
"Yes Klaus." Max says. He looks almost frantic with anticipation. Keeping him calm while they wait for the cultists to arrive could be difficult...

Klaus takes out his knife, and then looks anxiously up and down the alley. No one in sight. He slides the knife between the window and the frame, and gives it a shove.

[Strength test! dice roll =3 = pass]

The catch breaks at once, and the window comes open with a small popping sound. Klaus looks around again, but no one seems to have noticed.

Max insists on going in first. He slips through the gap easily. "No one's here, Klaus," he hisses, "come on in." Klaus follows him. He gets halfway through the window, and then becomes stuck! For a few moments he's trapped there, imagining knife wielding thugs stabbing his unprotected backside... but Max does his best to pull him through, and he soon gets free and enters the warehouse. He sighs with relief, making sure he closes the window behind him so as to leave no sign.

The ground floor of the warehouse is one large room. There's a staircase in the corner near the door. There are a few crates scattered around in the back half, but a large space has been cleared towards the front. Max hurries off to the stairs, already starting to climb them before Klaus can stop him. Klaus follows him. Upstairs is a loading area near the upper door, and three storerooms. All of these are empty.

Map!

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/warehousemap.jpg)

[Ignore the pentagram! It's not there yet... but it will be, later]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 10:41:33 PM
"Max....lets hide in one of those store rooms!"

the stomach of Klaus starts to make some noise as he realizes that he wasnīt fed all day.

"Damn....I am kind of hungry...and I get grumpy when hungry. Should have listened to the dwarf. Max lets find a place to hide no need to scout the area...well maybe just a little to figure out if we are right...if there is no human sacrifice we might have the wrong place. Listen Max, when the sacrifice happens we have to sit still no bravery no dashing heroism we have to let it happen otherwise Teugen might escape and more people will die....do you understand?"

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 11:27:00 PM
"But Klaus, Sigmar himself made us his champions! We have to stop the ritual even if it costs our lives!" He looks very excited at the idea... he obviously hasn't thought what the consequences might be. "I can't wait! I'm going to shoot Professor Teugen with my sacred arrow! Imagine if my father could see me now... he'd be so proud! I wish he were here. He's never been proud of me... I never did anything he could be proud of."

He suddenly seems to realise what Klaus just said, "Wait, Klaus did you say we have to let the sacrifice happen? I don't think I heard you properly... you can't mean we have to let someone get murdered?" He looks at Klaus with confusion.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 11:31:30 PM
"Thank you doctor," Mortus says.   She will give the servant a few silvers for the clothes, even though the doctor said it was okay.

"I suggest we find an inn to discuss what to do now," she says.   "And find some brandy."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 11:35:23 PM
"I fear there is no time. We know where we need to be, and we should get there before Klaus and Max do something foolish. We need time to scout the situation before the ritual. We should be away immediately, and head straightaway to the warehouse."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 11:39:26 PM
"Klaus went to the temple to find a priest," Mortus reminds Heinrich.    "Maybe we should go there to look for him?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 07, 2012, 11:44:54 PM
"Klaus went to the temple to find a priest," Mortus reminds Heinrich.    "Maybe we should go there to look for him?"

"That's a good idea too. Let us be away, Master Stonebridge!"

If Jules has no objection, we'll head to the temple to find Klaus.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 07, 2012, 11:47:10 PM
"And lets not forget Greta."   If Julian and Greta have no objection Mortus will head toward the temple.   If she sees a shop that sells brandy she will stop to buy a bottle.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 07, 2012, 11:53:58 PM
"Max right now we still have no proof.....hmmm what we could do is check what happens during the blessing of the temple. If only one guy is attending we could overwhelm him and fake the blood ritual with some blood of the guy we overtook. But at the end they would know that something would have gone awry as the fellow didnīt report back....No max we have to let the sacrifice happen (if it has not happened already) and wait for all the 9 inner circle members arrive before we strike. Listen this is important...otherwise one ore more might get away....especially Teugen. Should he get away he could try the ritual in another city and we wouldnīt know where. No. We have to wait until all are assembled and then we strike them down. So Sigmar wills!"

Klaus isnīt too happy with this but the look he shows Max is an utterly sincere one....no climbing up the drain and scouting this time!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 07, 2012, 11:59:45 PM
[Greta left already to meet with her people.]

Heinrich, Mortus and Julian head for the Gottenplatz (Mortus buys some Tilean Brandy on the way). The temple of Sigmar is hard to miss - it's almost twice the size of all the other temples in the square, other than the temple of Verena, and it looks to have cost a fortune to build. Half a dozen flagellant cultists are standing on the temple steps, flailing grimly at their emaciated bodies with barbed scourges. Their blood spatters the white marble.

Inside, the vast central hall is incredibly imposing. There are quite a few worshipers at prayer, but no sign of Klaus or Max. There's no sign of a priest either, only a timid young man in an initiate's robe.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 08, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
Mortus is a little uneasy in the temple, though she could not say why.   She will make the sign of the hammer quickly and mutter something about Sigmar giving her courage and then ask the initiate where she can find the priest
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 12:09:07 AM
Max looks conflicted. He opens his mouth to speak, and then closes it again. Eventually, he says, "I don't know what the right thing to do is, Klaus. But I trust you. I'll try to do what you tell me... even if it's difficult. I'm sorry I disobeyed you before." He sits down on the floor, in the corner of the storeroom, and waits quietly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 12:12:07 AM
The initiate looks aghast when Mortus approaches him. "H-h-h-hello miss. Ah - sorry? The priest? Y-y-you must mean Father Albrecht. He's gone out on important business, and left me in charge. Can... can I h-h-help you?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 08, 2012, 12:13:18 AM
Klaus will sneak out of the room to check if there is a place from where he can survey the big area where he thinks the ritual will take place while also staying hidden.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 08, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
Mortus looks at Julian and Heinrich for help, suddenly she is almost as nervous as the initiate.

"My friends may have been here earlier to speak to Fa.. Father Albrecht," she says, stammering for a second over the name.   "It is important that we find them, and the ho.. hol.. holy father."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 12:22:33 AM
Klaus thinks looking down from the staircase would leave him too exposed, even though he'd have a good view. So that only leaves hiding behind the stacks of crates. He'd be found if anyone searched the room... but if they didn't, he'd be able to see everything.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 08, 2012, 12:27:32 AM
Klaus will share his intel with Max.

"If someone searches the room we have to drop him.....we could also hide in the crates for a couple of hours ...lets check what is inside."

Klaus will try to open one of the crates and check if he can hide inside.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 12:28:34 AM
The initiate looks at Julian, then at Heinrich. Seeing Heinrich seems to make him even more anxious. "I-I-Is that blood? Oh, none of my business, I'm sure!"

He returns his attention to Mortus. "F-f-father Albrecht did meet with two people before he l-l-left... a disreputable-looking man, and a boy with ginger hair... w-w-w-were they your f-f-f-friends? The father spoke to them, then came out and prayed at the altar... then he went back and t-t-talked to them again. They left after t-t-that. Then the father left too. He s-s-said it was to do S-S-Sigmar's work. That's all I know, miss."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 12:33:44 AM
Max nods, and follows Klaus obediently. He's obviously decided to resolve his doubts by just letting Klaus make all the decisions for him.

Klaus pries open one of the crates with his knife. It's empty! He could hide inside it without too much discomfort.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 08, 2012, 12:36:53 AM
Mortus nods.

"Thank you," she mutters and she leaves the temple.   She will wait outside for Heinrich and Julian if they don't leave with her.   The unease that she felt when she went into the temple will leave her as soon as she exits it.   She watches the flagellants for a few seconds.

When Heinrich and Julian meet her she will shrug,

"It appears that they are already gone," she says.   "Maybe to the warehouse."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 08, 2012, 12:37:51 AM
Klaus will search for a crate for him and one for Max and then hide in the crates for an hour or two.......he tells Max to wait in the crate until he gets him. Klaus will count to 2000 if he can and then get back out of the crate.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 09:16:06 AM
Klaus discovers that some of the crates contain bottled fruit (he could eat some if he wanted), but most are empty. Max gets into his crate quietly, and nods when Klaus tells him not to get out until he's told too... Klaus hopes the boy will actually obey him this time... he could easily get them both killed if he doesn't.

Klaus gets into his own crate and waits. He can see the open area at the front of the room, as well as the door, through the gap between the lid and the body of the crate.


[wait for the others to arrive... or something else to happen in the meantime!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 08, 2012, 09:22:05 AM
YES I wait....and eat some of those fruits who most likely are extremely expensive. Eat the rich!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 08, 2012, 11:44:43 AM
"I figured as much. I knew Klaus couldn't wait to play at being a hero. Let's go."

Heinrich will set off towards a sewer entrance near the warehouse.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 08, 2012, 02:42:56 PM
Julian leads them into the sewer , axe and hammer at the ready.

While mortus was in the temple Julian prayed to grungni.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 08, 2012, 03:17:12 PM
Mortus will sigh and take a slug from the brandy bottle.   Then she will follow Heinrich
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 05:30:04 PM
Julian prays to Grungni, asking him to help him defeat the demon worshipers...

[Blessing? dice roll = 18. Yes!]

...for a moment, he sees an old dwarf seated on a granite throne, a tankard of beer in his hand. "Sort them out, lad," he says. Julian feels strength flow through his limbs.

[Julian is blessed: when attacking demonic entities or evil sorcerers, his attacks will cause additional damage. The blessing will last until dawn]


Julian leads Heinrich and Mortus to a manhole cover close to the docks. They open it, and then quickly descend into the sewer. They follow the main passage a short distance, before entering a minor passageway that leads to the warehouse. The passage flows on into the river, but Julian spots a concealed cover in the roof of the passage. He's able to open it, and with Heinrich's help climbs up into the room above.

He's now inside the warehouse, in a corner behind some crates. Mortus and Heinrich can follow him up.

[map again]

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/warehousemap.jpg)


Klaus hears the cover being opened, and can see it from the crate he's hiding in. He recognises Julian at once, of course. Max stays put inside his crate, waiting for Klaus to tell him he can get out.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 08, 2012, 05:40:01 PM
Mortus will look for somewhere to hide.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 08, 2012, 06:22:01 PM
Klaus will peek out of his crate....

"Pssst..........Pssssst!"

Klaus will mumble very silently "Over here."

If the others come over he explains to them his cunning plan to hide in the crates he will use his copper horn to listen what is going on outside and once the evil doers have started to do their vile ritual and are assembled he will alert the others and they can leave their hiding place and descent upon them....and strike them with Sigmars righteous fury.

They might notice that Klaus seems a bit....changed.
 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 08, 2012, 06:49:22 PM
Julian wonders if it's possible to hide in the sewer entrance, or place any traps for the cultists.

He thinks a bear trap might be a bit conspicuous. !
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 09:52:42 PM
Julian thinks hiding in the sewer entrance would be fine... but he wonders why the warehouse has a secret entrance to the sewers at all. Do the cultists plan to arrive that way?

He's not sure what sort of trap he could rig... it depends what he wants to achieve. Does he want to try to capture some of the cultists? Or injure them? Or prevent them leaving the warehouse?
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 08, 2012, 10:10:29 PM
Klaus is busy explaining his plan to the others... when the warehouse doors open!

Three men enter: one is Franz Steinhager (Julian has met him, while Klaus and Max saw him enter Teugen's house last night for the meeting), and the other two look like stevedores. Steinhager supervises as the stevedores carry a number of boxes into the room. Once all the boxes are in place, Steinhager tells the men to leave. Now alone (or so he thinks) Steinhager opens one of the boxes and removes several long copper arcs. He begins to arrange these on the floor, at which point it becomes clear what they are: they make up the copper circle from the sewer temple. Next, he pours salt into geometric patterns within the circle, and sets five silver candlesticks (each with a black candle) around it. The configuration is the same as in the sewer temple.

Once he's finished, he leaves the warehouse, closing the doors behind him.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 09, 2012, 12:27:56 AM
"Nope. Not going to happen." Heinrich immediately shoots Steinhager.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 09, 2012, 04:49:24 PM
When Heinrich gets his bow up Klaus puts a hand on his shoulder...

"Heinrich donīt we have to wait for the whole cult to assemble, there will be allies outside joining the fight but we have to wait. Also Max has a blessed arrow that hopefully will strike Teugen down." He whispers barely audible to Heinrich , only the sharp senses of the bounty hunter allow him to hear it.

"We can hide in these crates until the ritual starts when they are on it and deep in concentration we strike."

Sweat is trickling down Klausīs face as he states this.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 09, 2012, 04:51:27 PM
"We've got to make sure all the rats are in the trap" Julian hisses.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 09, 2012, 05:39:29 PM
Heinrich lowers his bow.
"Yes," he mutters to himself unhappily, "Let us wait until the OTHER wizard, all of their guards, the disappearing shapechanging guy, and whatever they plan to summon are here so we can face them all at once, rather than fight them piecemeal as they come."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 09, 2012, 06:13:26 PM
"Only the inner circle members will be here the guards will stay outside as they donīt know that they are demonologists, also our "friends" will take of them.....as soon as they are deep in concentration we strike. As stated Max will take out Teugen Heinrich you and Julian should take out Steinhager, Mortus and  I will strike who ever else might be left with a fighting will ....most likely the cousin of Teugen. I have another stink bomb I will drop in their midst as the signal I hope the others will realize the green smoke as our signal."

Stating this short battle plan Klaus will retreat into his crate and listen to what is going on outside with his copper horn.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 09, 2012, 06:51:33 PM
"If we fight him they wont come. We know the plan is Teugen's, we know the others are dispensable, we know they own the town. We need evidence and we need Teugen here. Let me set traps and we can all strike together. Don't forget the reward Heinrich!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 09, 2012, 07:10:34 PM
"One more thing before we hide....what about Greta? Is she alright? Mortus you look terrible what about you? Can you even fight or would you prefer to stay back?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 09, 2012, 08:39:55 PM
"If we fight him they wont come. We know the plan is Teugen's, we know the others are dispensable, we know they own the town. We need evidence and we need Teugen here. Let me set traps and we can all strike together. Don't forget the reward Heinrich!"

"Do they have vision to see within the walls? We're here to stop the ritual! Ruggbroder is as likely to betray us as everyone else in this town has been. I don't believe we'll be getting that reward no matter the outcome."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 09, 2012, 09:04:31 PM
No, but they have ears, and Teugen will no doubt be expecting steinhager to tell him the room is ready
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 09, 2012, 09:51:45 PM
Heinrich will shake his head and say nothing more. He will move to an advantageous position to fire from, with a clear route of escape.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 09, 2012, 10:32:47 PM
Mortus smiles at Klaus.

"I'm grand," she whispers.   She puts her hand on Heinrich's shoulder before he moves off and shrugs.   Then she looks for a place to hide very quietly behind the boxes.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 09, 2012, 11:16:37 PM
Nothing happens for half an hour after Steinhager leaves. Julian looks around for a way to trap the room, but struggles to find any suitable hiding places. He decides to rig some crates to fall towards the circle when he pulls on a rope - it might work as a distraction, if nothing else.

[Set traps: construction test = DEX test with +30%. Dice roll = 40 = pass. Trap set]

Looking out of the windows, the group can see that it is getting dark. Then the doors open and six men enter the warehouse, all dressed in dark clothes and carrying parcels. Klaus and Max recognise the men they saw arriving at Teugen's house for the meeting... with one exception. Magirius has been replaced by a man Heinrich has seen before - Magistrate Gorvintz, from the Festival Court.

The six look nervous but excited, and chat to each other about the great work they will be doing tonight. Unwrapping their parcels, they produce white robes which they pull on over their clothes. All of them stay at the front of the room, near the circle.

Ten minutes later the door opens again. Steinhager re-enters, along with a pale man with dark hair and a tall, powerful man... Johannes Teugen.

[Teugen's the one on the cover of the book]

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/ShBH.jpg)

These three also put on robes. Teugen addresses the others, "The time has come, my friends, for us to take our rightful place in the world. Marienburg, that stinking leech of a city, will be burned off. Altdorf will fall into bankruptcy. Our town of Bogenhafen will become a new capital of trade that even far Cathay will envy.

"Soon, we will begin. It will be difficult, but we must not waver. Our dedication gift will arrive soon: meantime prepare yourselves! Destiny awaits."

Steinhager joins the other six inner circle members, apparently drilling them on some final preparations. Teugen speaks quietly to the pale man. It is now fully dark outside, and the ghastly, lime-green light of the Witch Moon shines strongly through the windows.

A further half an hour passes before the doors open again. Two stevedores deliver a large sack, and then leave. Teugen bars the doors behind them. Steinhager opens the sack, and drags a semi-conscious young woman out from it. He sets her down beside the circle, and lights the candles. He and the other six inner-circle members arrange themselves around the circle, chanting ominously. The pale man stands by the door. Teugen draws an elaborate knife and advances toward the girl.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/cultists.jpg)
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 10, 2012, 02:15:43 AM
Heinrich will wait for the others to act, but will shoot Teugen before he is able to kill the girl.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 10, 2012, 10:04:05 AM
[We will act as planned in the off topic thread]

Klaus sneaks out of his crate preparing the stink bomb and holding it in his left his right hand gripping his blessed club.

"Max get out of your crate and shoot Teugen!" .....he continues to whisper "Now is the moment!"

Klaus will sneak closer to the ritual circle and throw his stinkbomb and charge right after it yelling in a loud and clear voice "SIGMAR GIVE ME STRENGTH!" If he manages to close this round to Steinhager he will try to club him in the face.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 10, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
Heinrich will roll his eyes at Klaus' antics (and the fact he gave up the element of surprise) and simply shoot Teugen.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 10, 2012, 10:08:26 AM
Julian waits until max and heinrich have shot so as not to disturb their aim, then releases his traps and charges at Teugen if he is not dead, or steinhager if he his, axe raised aloft with shield in his off hand.

"Grungniiiiiiii"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 11:35:36 AM
Heinrich and Max shoot at Teugen, just as he has his arm raised over the girl, knife pointed at her heart.

[Max to hit roll: 01, hit, hits head. S3 +d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = 57 = no) - T4 = 5 wounds]

[Heinrich to hit roll = 16. hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = 41, yes!) + 3 - T4 = 8 wounds. 9 wounds on profile, so -4 critical hit = 12, unconscious and dying]

Both arrows slam into him. Max's hits Teugen in the face, burying itself in his cheek. As it does, a blast of pure white light erupts from the arrow, sweeping across Teugen's body. Heinrich's hits him in the chest, and he falls to the floor, bleeding and dying.

Julian triggers his trap at the same time as Klaus throws his smoke bomb. A stack of crates fall towards four of the cultists...

[I tests at -20: 93, 75, 79, 23. 3 fail, 1 pass]

One of them jumps clear, but the other three are buried under a pile of crates. Klaus's smoke bomb spreads a cloud of noxious vapour over the area. The ritual candles are knocked over and extinguished, and the salt pentagram is disrupted. The remaining cultists look confused and afraid.

Julian, Klaus and Mortus charge at Steinhager, before he has time to react.

[Klaus to hit roll (2 attacks from hammerhand) = 75, 91 = both miss!]

[Julian to hit roll (calling on Grungni) = 10, hits head. S2 + d6 roll of 6 (extra damage = 8 = yes) + 3 + 3 from blessing - T3 = 11 wounds = -3 critical = 51 = death!]

[Mortus to hit roll = 86 = miss]

Klaus's and Mortus's attacks fail to hit Steinhager, but Julian - calling out to Grungni, the greatest of the dwarf ancestors - strikes him full in the face with his axe. Steinhager's skull is crushed by the appalling force of the blow!

The room is suddenly filled with a vast and horrible cry of rage. The pale man by the door is screaming... now he changes, amidst a riot of clashing colours, into something new... a thing like a large and rotting crocodile, upright like a man.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/crocdemon.jpg)

Fear tests! Unless immune.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 10, 2012, 11:40:07 AM
19
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 10, 2012, 11:43:22 AM
94 :'(
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 10, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
94 :'(

BAHAHAHAHA!  :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 12:12:19 PM
Julian is so shocked by the appearance of the demon that he is temporarily unable to act. [may test again next round]

[Mortus rolls 27 = pass. Heinrich passes also, Max and Klaus autopass by the grace of Sigmar!]

[Demon goes first, I = 89]

The demon opens its mouth very wide, and bolts of fire emerge from within, striking towards everyone in the room!

[I tests: Heinrich = 38 = pass
Mortus = 09 = pass
Klaus = pass
Julian = 42 = fail
Max = 80 = fail
cultist 1 = 47 = fail
cultist 2 = 94 = fail
cultist 3 = 89 = fail]

Heinrich, Klaus and Mortus each manage to avoid being hit by the full blast [half damage]. Julian, Max and the three cultists not under a pile of crates are too slow and are all hit at full effect.

[Damage: Heinrich = 3 + d10 roll 8 - T5 = 6 /2 = 3 wounds
Mortus =  3 + 5 - T5 = 3 / 2 = 2 wounds
Klaus = 3 + 4 - T2 = 5 / 2 = 3 wounds
Julian =  3 + 6 - T6 = 3 wounds
Max = 3 + 5 - T2 = 6 wounds
C1 = 3 + 8 - T3 = 8 wounds = dead
C2 = 3 + 6 - T3 = 6 wounds = dead
C3 = 3 + 7 - T3 = 7 wounds =dead]

All three of the cultists are incinerate by multi-coloured fire! Everyone else is injured... especially Max.

[Players go next]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 10, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
[OUCH!]

Klaus enraged by the sight of Max going down...possibly dead charges towards the Monster and will strike at it.

(I think you should go on rolling as you are so good with the damage charts and criticals and all that kind of stuff).
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 10, 2012, 12:28:08 PM
Julian staggers backwards in shock at seeing the crocodemon. He was sure that killing teugen and steinhager would be enough to overcome the rest of the cultists... and how can they have a demon without completing the ritual?

The bolt of fire hits him in the chest and knocks him to one knee, the pain causing him to let out a deep grunt.

[fear test roll= 4! hurrah.]
He pulls himself upright and steadies his grip on his axe, feeling the power of Grungni flowing down his arm into his body. Suddenly he feels calm and his filled with a renewed sense of purpose, and the wound on his chest hurts a little less.

[if I can act this turn, I charge him, if not I don't]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 12:33:37 PM
Klaus reaches the demon first, calling out to Sigmar as he swings his club...

[Klaus to hit rolls = 35, 26, hit twice! S3 + 2 (hammerhand) + d6 roll of 4 Luck +1 -T4 = 6 wounds
S3 + 2 + d6 roll of 2 - T4 = 3 wounds
 = 9 wounds total caused to demon]

Heinrich is too far away to do anything but shoot, so sends an arrow toward the demon...

[Heinrich to hit roll = 84 = miss!]

...but his shot hits the door instead, sticking in the wood.

Mortus charges the demon...

[Mortus to hit roll = 34, hits by +10 charge bonus. Damage = 4 + d6 roll of 2 - T4 = 2 wounds]

[total 11 to demon so far]

Julian is unable to act.

Max, though badly hurt, still has the strength to shoot at the demon...

[Max to hit = 18 = hit! S3 + 5 - T4 = 4 wounds]

...his arrow slams into the demon's right leg!

[total 15 wounds to demon so far!]

[Next round, demon goes first. Coming up!]

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 12:49:15 PM
The demon, though seriously wounded, calls out in a language that feels like spiders inside the ears of all who hear it. Shadowy shapes gather around Max and Heinrich...

[WP test: Heinrich = 24 = pass
Max = 50 =  fail]

...Heinrich drops his bow, waving his arms to disperse the shadows. Max, however, is overcome by the dark creatures. His eyes roll back and he collapses.

[Max is unconscious. Heinrich cannot act this round]

The demon strikes at Klaus with its claws...

[Demon to hit rolls = 51 = hit Luck! +10 to roll = miss!
=05 = hit, hits left arm. S5 + d6 roll 4 luck - 1 - T2 -1 armour = 5 wounds. -1 critical hit! = 04 = drop items in arm... left arm, so no effect]

[Klaus is at zero wounds]

...It hits his left arm. He pulls the arm back, but it is badly cut. He swings his club at the fiend...

[Klaus to hit rolls: 43 (hit due to +10 for winning), 57 = miss. 43 hits right arm. S3 + 2 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = yes) + 6 (extra again) + 5 - T4 = 18 wounds caused! Maximum critical = 29 = death!]

...his blow connects with the demon's right arm. As it hits, the club shines with a silver light that is almost too bright to look at. The demon's flesh melts away where the club strikes - it cuts though the arm and into its chest, exploding somewhere inside its body. Klaus staggers backward... there is a brilliant detonation as the demon is utterly destroyed, scarring the floor, shattering every window and blowing open the doors... yet the explosion does nothing to harm anyone else in the room.

The demon is destroyed!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 10, 2012, 12:53:28 PM
Klaus drops to his knees panting....dropping his club he grips his wounded arm and cries out in pain. He considers crying out for help but swallows it and just lies down on the floor closing his eyes trying to block out the burn of the cut.....feeling his life pumping out of the wound.
Silently he directs a prayer to Sigmar to thank him for his help overcoming this demon, also in the back of his mind he is counting the prize he thinks he has earned from Ruggbroder....and how Greta will celebrate his victory with him.........until a thought pushes all this away.....but what if I die.....I am dying right now.



[Fantastic.....job done Rufus!  :eusa_clap:]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 02:16:19 PM
After the clamor of the battle, the room seems deathly quiet... then a group of people burst through the doorway - Greta and two guards wearing the Ruggbroder emblem... and behind them Heironymous Ruggbroder himself. Three watchmen and a man in a more elaborate uniform who must be the town's watch captain. Sir Martin and two of the baron's guards. And Father Albrecht, holding a double-handed warhammer.

All of them stare in astonishment at the scene inside the warehouse. "Dear oh dear," Ruggbroder gloats, "my poor friend Teugen! And Steinhager too! They really have been up to no good... it's so sad." He laughs unpleasantly. Sir Martin glares at him with disgust.

"Klaus!" Greta shouts, running to him and examining his injuries, "I... I..." her voice trails off and she hugs him.

"That light - the manifest will of Divine Sigmar! Oh, what a glorious night this is!" Father Albrecht hurries over to the girl Teugen intended to sacrifice. "This poor child has been drugged, but is otherwise not harmed. I see that you, my sons and daughters, are hurt? Sigmar's presence is still among us, and I feel his love... I believe I can pass his healing grace to all of you... if you will allow."

The father loudly invokes Sigmar, pleading that he intercede to aid his fallen children. Then, his hands shining with silver light, he goes to each member of the group in turn. As he touches each person's face, their wounds close and strength flows through them.

[Sigmar's face is turned upon the warehouse, and at this time all healing spells transcend the normal rules! They work even on heavily/seriously wounded characters]

[d6 wounds restored each]

Heinrich regains 2 wounds
Mortus regains 3 wounds
Klaus regains 5 wounds
Julian regains 3 wounds
Max regains 4 wounds

Max wakes as the priest heals him. He sits upright, exclaiming, "I shot Professor Teugen in the face! Oh, what happened? Everything went dark... I saw... something..."

"Well, gentlemen," Father Albrecht says, speaking to the two guard captains, "surely this is evidence enough that these noble people spoke the truth? Here we see evidence of unspeakable sorcery, of abominable human sacrifice, and even of the presence of the demons of the evil realm!"

"I saw no demon," Sir Martin says, "but I suppose I cannot deny that something occurred here... yet I see here a liar and a foolish boy, both of whom I had flogged only days ago for misleading me with false tales... they and their companions could have been implicated in this... whatever this is. It would be prudent to set them all to torture, so that we may learn the truth."

"Be quiet, you stiff-necked fool," the town guard captain says to him, "I heard something under the crates. You men - remove them."

The watchmen remove the crates, revealing three robed cultists, all groaning and half-insensible. When their hoods are removed they are revealed to be leading merchants.

"Here are our candidates for torture," the captain says, "take them away! I will examine them later." The watchmen chain the cultists and lead them outside. Sir Martin looks furious. Glaring at Klaus, he turns and storms out of the room.

"Father Albrecht," the captain says, "is there any further danger of demonic intervention?"

"I think not, captain... but this building must be burned at once, with the corpses of the dead inside it. No risk must be taken."

"Then it shall be so, father. Outside, everyone!"

Once everyone is outside the warehouse, and preparations for setting the fire are underway, the captain addresses the group. "You have all done a great service for this town - and perhaps for The Empire itself. Go and rest now. Please do not speak of anything you have seen tonight - I do not wish to cause a panic."

Ruggbroder approaches them, "As acting leader of the town council of Bogenhafen I thank you for your work this night! Oh yes, you have done well - very well. You have the freedom of the town, and any crimes you may have committed are here expunged." He looks at the guard captain as he says this. The captain nods solemnly. Ruggbroder continues, "So confident was I of your success that I have with me the agreed reward, " he waves to a pair of bodyguards, who bring a heavy wooden chest and set it in front of Klaus. "it is all there, be sure... very cheap, for what you have done for me! Very cheap indeed! Ha ha ha!" Still laughing hysterically, Ruggbroder and his guards leave.

Greta remains behind. She kisses Klaus, and whispers something in his ear.

The warehouse catches fire. Above, the Witch Moon is vanished. Only the pale light of the other moon shines down upon Bogenhafen.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 10, 2012, 02:31:04 PM
Rewards

Ruggbroder's chest does indeed contain the agreed payment of 5000 gold crowns.

Heinrich, Mortus, Klaus, Julian and Max each gain 300 experience points.

Additionally, for preventing the opening of a chaos gate and the direct manifestation of the chaos god Tzeentch, they each gain one fate point.

 :::cheers:::
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 10, 2012, 05:32:40 PM
Mortus sighs and collapses to the ground.   She lies there for a few seconds quivering and then stands up again.   She smiles around.

"Anybody for a very good brand?" she asks cheerfully.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 10, 2012, 06:05:53 PM
Julian speaks to Albrecht- "Not just sigmar, Grungni too" Julian makes a show of wiping the blood off his axe, then says a slient prayer of thanks to Grungi, not wanting to disrespect his god in front of Sigmar.

 He checks on Klaus and Max, before going to the chest and inspecting the gold.

"five... thousand gold pieces. It was all worth it afterall! ha!" Julian exclaims, the glint of dwarven lust for gold shining in his eye. Julian is exceedingly pleased with himself and his compatriots.

He sticks his arm deep into the pile of coins and turns to Greta "looks like the drinks ARE on me, Greta. Sorry for doubting Ruggbroder"

Julian lights his pipe and waits for his friends.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 12, 2012, 12:37:17 PM
"Gosh, is that real money?" Max says, "let me check... I know quite a bit about coins." He examines several of the coins in Ruggbroder's chest. "They look genuine! It's good to know we can still trust people, even if a few of them do turn out to be evil sorcerers... what a night! I always used to dream about being a hero, and maybe now I am! Or at least I helped the real heroes... that's you Klaus, Heinrich, Mr. Julian... and Mortus."

A thought occurs to him, and he drops at once to his knees and starts thanking Sigmar for helping them.

Klaus suggests that the group (and Greta) go and celebrate their victory. He also asks Greta if she knows where to get an 'escort' for Max. She rolls her eyes, but agrees to hire one.

The group head to an expensive inn, where they order a large meal and lots of drinks. Greta arrives shortly with an attractive young girl who seems to take an instant liking to Max... he suspects nothing, but it's obvious to the others that she's been paid.

Eventually, Klaus asks Greta, Max and the escort to a private card game upstairs... leaving Julian, Heinrich and Mortus to carry on drinking in the bar. After a few rounds of the card game (which requires players to strip when they lose... Max is very bad at it), Max is drunk enough - and sufficiently flattered by the escort's attentions - that he takes up her offer to go to another room, alone.

Greta chides Klaus for setting Max up like that... but admits that she's glad to be alone with him.


The following day, Greta gets up early and goes to work. The escort also leaves. Max bursts in on Klaus in his room, excitedly telling him all about the night he had. Klaus congratulates him tolerantly.

At breakfast, Mortus tells the others that she will be moving to a new inn, alone. She doesn't say why. Max looks confused and a little sad.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 12, 2012, 12:52:19 PM
Mortus smiles happily at Max.   She is instantly sorry for causing him pain.   She takes another bite of her breakfast and reaches out to reassure him.

"It is nothing to do with you," she says.   "But if I am going to move up in the world of merchants I need to be able to show success and staying in an expensive hotel would give me an advantage in my next engagement.   You are free to join me there for dinner tonight, I will send the address to this inn."

She is pleased with her story and settles back to finish her breakfast.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 12, 2012, 12:53:25 PM
Klaus will encourage Max that Mortus isnīt leaving because of the pretty girl, most likely it only increased her interest and if he is interested he should go and talk to her...women are like that, but first he should go with Klaus for some shopping clothes, pistols etc. as Klaus would really appreciate his expertise in that kind of things, if Max joins he also cuts into the subject of him being an impoverished descendant of an Averlander Lord and tells Max a heartbreaking story about how his noble father went to some battle never to return and all he knows about his noble father are the stories of his mother and if he could help him discovering who his father was and of which noble line Klaus is he would be very grateful should there be anything to inherit.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 12, 2012, 02:29:12 PM
Max's face lights up at Mortus's words. "Oh, I understand, Mortus - that sounds very sensible. I was just worried because... that girl... oh, never mind." He blushes furiously. "I'd love to join you for dinner! That would be wonderful... I can't wait!"

Over breakfast, Julian and Heinrich talk about their intention of dealing with the thief headquarters they discovered in the sewers, under the Crossed Pikes tavern. Klaus and Mortus aren't interested, but Max pleads with Julian and Heinrich to let him come with them when they go.

Mortus leaves after breakfast. Klaus explains to Max that Mortus most likely does like him... and asks him to come shopping with him, because he wants his advice. Max is delighted to be asked to help, and readily agrees.

On the way to the shops, Klaus tells his story about his allegedly noble father. "I knew you were more than you seemed, Klaus," he says, "I could tell you had... well, a noble spirit... though you try to hide it. I will certainly do everything I can to help you find out about your father - I know a little bit about history, and I know how to use a library too. There will be a good library at the Temple of Verena, so we should try there first. But we'd do better in Nuln... or Averheim, I suppose. But there are some wonderful collections of books in Nuln. If we go there I'm sure we can find the evidence to prove your claim! I'll need you to tell me everything you can about your father, where you were born, what the battle was... everything. Should I call you my lord? Or still just Klaus?"

At the shops, Max helps Klaus decide on suitably noble-looking clothes. Max doesn't have a great deal of dress sense, but he has more of an idea what fashionable nobles wear than Klaus does. Max is more helpful at the gunsmith: he's able to select a matched pair of pistols that are sturdy and suitably deadly, as well as being beautifully decorated. He chats about how wonderful the guns his father sells are, and how his father knows everything about firearms. Indeed, the gunsmith has heard of the Breytenbach family.

Klaus buys an impressive warhammer. Max says it looks very well made, but he has no idea if it's really a practical weapon or not. "Mr. Julian is an expert in weapons, Klaus. He helped me choose my axe. But I think that hammer will do well enough - I suppose you want a hammer in honour of Holy Sigmar... that's a wonderful idea."

Finally, Klaus buys some jewelry. Max stares at a display of necklaces for a long time. "Klaus, do you think Mortus would like one of these? I don't know much about ladies... can you help me choose one?" He buys whichever necklace Klaus recommends.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 12, 2012, 05:20:52 PM
Mortus sends over the written dinner invite to her new inn by messanger.

Addressed to right honourable
Heinrich Kanone des Untergangs
Klaus Metzger
Julian Stonebridge
Maximilian Frederick Breytenbach with all just hope and best regards.

I Mortus, of the house of Basanduine, would like to request your company for dinner at the Emperor's Arms Hotel at nine o clock tonight.   I will look forward to your coming and pray that in the time between Sigmar and Athraigh will watch over you and keep you safe.

I am, as always, your friend
Mortus.
   (There is a seal and also a hand written cross or sword shaped symbol beside the name.)   There is a different one each but to save space I decided not to type out the message four times.   Directions to the inn are also written under the name.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 13, 2012, 09:34:49 AM
While Klaus walks around the city with Max they chat about several topics for example that Klaus would love to learn to read and write so he could support Max in their quest to collect informations about his heritage. Regarding Mortus Klaus explains him that women of all classes are into presents as it shows that you care, it is hard to hit their taste but even if you miss the try to impress and the show of wealth and influence usually help in winning her favour. He also praises Max`s courage and his help in bringing down the cult and overall is in a great mood himself. He feels how he finally managed to unlock his quest to become rich as an averlander...to become an averlander to finally become himself.

Klaus will dress himself in his nobles suit as soon as he can and put on some perfume, if he sees nobles walking around he watches them to learn how they move and talk and tries to mimic them Once the shopping is over and they returned to the inn for some food he will go to the temple of Sigmar alone as Max most likely will stay with the others as they discuss how to break up the thieves guild and the adventure might lure him into joining them.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 13, 2012, 01:59:23 PM
"I could teach you to read and write, Klaus!" Max says, "It's such a shame you were denied the opportunity to learn... I'll need to buy a new writing set and some paper, and a book or two. Then I can help you learn. You'll pick it up in no time, I'm sure."

Max buys writing equipment and a book on the history of Averland. He also buys some new clothes, a backpack and some other supplies. Following Klaus's advice, he buys a tasteful and quite expensive necklace for Mortus. He's overwhelmed by Klaus's praise of his courage, and tries to insist he did nothing and Klaus is the real hero.

Klaus changes into his best clothes, in the shop he bought them from. On the way back to the inn, he imitates passing noblemen, and thinks he's starting to get a feel for the character. He can probably bluff the lower orders into thinking he's a noble now... but no one more educated. He'll need to practice.

Mortus's dinner invitations are waiting for them back at the inn. Max is thrilled, even though he knows it won't be a private dinner.

Julian and Heinrich meet them at the inn - Julian has bought a full set of armour, and now looks extremely formidable. He and Heinrich are planning their move against the thieves. Klaus tells Max he can go with them if he wants (though he warns him to take care), and sets off for the temple of Sigmar.

Klaus feels strange as he enters the temple hall - it's like someone is watching him... he's not sure if it's his imagination. Surely it can't be... Sigmar himself? No, of course not!

A nervous initiate directs him to Father Albrecht when he asks. The father is in a small, spartan office, studying a large pile of papers.

"Ah, Klaus! It's good to see you, my son. I am rather busy at the moment - it seems searching Teugen's papers for evidence of his accomplices has fallen to me - but I can spare a few moments for you. Are you here to pray? Holy Sigmar granted you a rare favour yesterday."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 13, 2012, 02:13:50 PM
"Ahhh....yes father I came to pray, but I also wanted to use the opportunity to talk with you ....about what happened not only yesterday but before."

Klaus closes the door behind him before he goes on...

"You might have noticed that Sir Martin recalled my face after we dispatched of Teugen and his cult, ....and a powerful demon. Before we tried to get rid of the cult on our own I went to him for help, told him about the cult and for this was flogged as he was busy with more "important" most likely meaning the ongoing tournament. Because he regarded me below his status he punished me for wasting his time. Wasnīt it for the help of the church of Sigmar we surely would have failed on the task Sigmar placed upon our shoulders. Because of this I am here to ask yet another boon of you Father, could you grant me a sigil or some relic that would identify me as a friend of the church should something similar happen in another town? I know it is much I ask but I feel that this struggle I was part of rekindled my piety towards the church and should another occassion arise during which I could do his will I would like to not risk being turned down by some priest that isnīt as wise and pious as you are."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 13, 2012, 04:21:20 PM
Mortus is going to buy some new clothes and order a fine meal in the Emperor's Arms.   Some sort of roast.   Then she will take a bath and rest until her guests arrive
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 13, 2012, 05:22:05 PM
Father Albrecht nods solemnly. "Yes, Sir Martin is a... difficult man. Yet he must have taken what you said seriously, since he performed his own investigations into the Teugen matter... indeed, I found him in conversation with Watch Captain Goertrin when I went to speak to the captain yesterday. That is why Sir Martin and his men were at the warehouse last night.

"So, do not worry overmuch about Sir Martin. Provided your paths do not cross again, you should be safe from further mistreatment. He is unlikely to seek you out.

"Still, your request for a token of the church's favor is not unreasonable, given the service you performed. Do you still have the club I asked Holy Sigmar to bless? The one with which you slew the demon? I know that it was damaged beyond use when you smote the creature... perhaps you will donate what remains of it to be kept here? I would set a fragment within a small reliquary locket, and you could carry it as a sign that you have been a Hammer of Sigmar."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 13, 2012, 06:02:53 PM
[if I do have the remains I would do as asked]

"I also bought a warhammer as my new weapon of choice Father, also I bought a silver chain I wanted to ask if I could buy a blessed talisman of Sigmar from you to wear from now on as a sign of gratitude towards him."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 14, 2012, 01:23:58 AM
Father Albrecht takes the remains of Klaus's club and places them reverently on the desk. He then produces a silver locket with a window of transparent crystal: opening this, he places a fragment of wood from the club inside, and closes it again. He hold it in his hand for a moment, whispering a prayer. Then he gives it to Klaus. The locket has Sigmar's hammer engraved on the back. "Take this, and wear it on your chain about your neck. It will protect you from all evil things, provided you trust in Holy Sigmar."

[Klaus has a blessed talisman of Sigmar. He may add 10 to his Cl when testing for fear or terror caused by demons or undead. Make a not of this on your character sheet!]

Father Albrecht also blesses Klaus's warhammer.

[no game effect, but he's bound to appreciate it!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 14, 2012, 07:48:00 AM
Klaus will thank the priest and retreat to pray to Sigmar, he will go to his knees look around what the other people do and mutter to himself.

"Dear Sigmar, thanks for your help. Well.....you never helped me before so I always assumed, and still assume that you are more a ....help yourself and I will help you kind of guy. In the end you did it like that too, you didnīt ask the other gods to make you one of them. You just did it. So I hope you donīt mind me going after my dreams if there should be any enemies of the Empire on the road I will try to give them some hammer to the face so much I can promise....to try. So.....if you agree you can give me some sign...." Klaus will look up here and try to figure out if the feeling of someone watching him is still there "If not....that is fine too."

He will get up and donate 100 golden crowns and leave the temple to the quarters of the watch.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 14, 2012, 09:56:13 AM
Klaus does feel as though someone is still watching him... but he can't decide if it's just his imagination. He doesn't feel that Sigmar has given him a sign of any kind... but maybe no sign is a sign? He doesn't know. He's never been that interested in religion before.

He puts 100 crowns in the collection box - the nervous initiate stutters a thank you - and leaves the temple. The hot weather of the past few days has come to an end. Instead, it's a pleasant spring day, bright and clear. The streets are busy, and there seem to be a lot more watchmen around than normal.

Klaus knows where the main watch barracks is, having gone there with Max while looking for a healer after the sewer incident. Once there, he goes inside and is met by the guard on duty. He looks at Klaus, taking in his expensive clothes, and uncertainly says, "Good day....sir? How may I help you?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 14, 2012, 10:06:07 AM
"Good day to you too, I would like to speak with the captain of the guard of if he isnīt available right now ask when he could receive me Klaus Metzger is the name he should know me."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 14, 2012, 10:24:45 AM
[Julian and Heinrich]

Heinrich, Julian and Max head towards the Crossed Pikes, having planned their attack in detail. Heinrich enters the sewers, while Julian and Max go into the tavern.

It's early afternoon, and the Crossed Pikes is not especially busy. Lunchtime is over, so there are no more than half a dozen patrons drinking at the tables and at the bar. There's a young woman serving at the bar. Max offers to buy Julian a drink, and if he accepts orders two pints of beer.

Meanwhile, Heinrich takes the familiar route back to the door in the sewers. He removes the key from its hiding place, and carefully opens the door... next he creeps along behind the crates (he thinks the number and position of the crates has changed since he was last here)... now he can see that there are four men in the cellar. The men - all of average build, unarmoured and lightly armed - are seated around a table, engaged in a heated discussion. Heinrich recognises Baumann, the landlord, among them. There is no sign that they have noticed Heinrich.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 14, 2012, 10:28:21 AM
[Klaus]

"I'll ask him, sir. Please wait here." The watchman leaves the room... and returns shortly, saying, "Captain Goertrin will see you right away sir. Come this way."

Klaus is led into a large office. A tall, thin man with white-blond hair rises from his seat and welcomes Klaus (at the same time gesturing for the watchman to leave and close the door). "Klaus. What can I do for you?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 14, 2012, 10:34:40 AM
Julian gratefully accepts the pint, and immediately drinks one third of it in one smooth gulp.

'Max, we should see if we can find the door downstairs. Perhaps you could have a look round. .. if anyone challenges you say you were looking for the latrine.

I'll stay here In case they come out. '
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 14, 2012, 10:43:22 AM
"Yes sir, Mr Julian!" Max says. He drinks some of his beer, then sets it down on the bar beside Julian and wanders off. While the barmaid is looking the other way, he slips through a door.

He's gone a while... eventually, he comes back, and asks Julian to come and sit at a table with him, where the barmaid can't hear. "I found a staircase leading down, Mr Julian sir. It must go to that cellar with all the stolen goods in, sir... I was going to go down there, but then I thought I ought to tell you first, sir. Maybe we could both go, sir?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 15, 2012, 04:43:04 AM
Heinrich will remain hidden. He will look for the light source and attempt to eavesdrop on their conversation.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 09:47:49 AM
The room is lit by three torches mounted on the walls. The men are arguing about their criminal operation: it seems that the watch are currently making a thorough search of all Teugen and Steinhager property, which makes stealing from their warehouses and boats far more dangerous. Baumann wants to lie low for a while, but the others are insisting they carry on as normal.

After a few minutes, Baumann gets to his feet and walks right over to where Heinrich is hiding...

[hide test = passed]

...he levers open one of the crates and removes a bottle of Tilean Brandy, opens it, and takes a drink. He's now standing very close to Heinrich, with his back to him, continuing the argument.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 15, 2012, 10:00:18 AM
Heinrich will take your bait. He will attack Baumann with his axe and dagger while his back is turned.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 15, 2012, 10:40:31 AM
"Max, can we move to a table near this door. I don't want to rush down and mess up heinrich's plan... but we can act if we hear anything?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 10:41:39 AM
Heinrich attacks Baumann, catching him totally unaware.  [I test = failed]

[static target, auto-hit and double damage + choose hit location (head): axe hit: S4 + 1 + d6 roll of 4 -T4 = 5*2 = 10 wounds!. -3 critical = dead]

His axe slams into the back of Baumann's neck, shattering the vertibrae. Baumann falls to the ground, twitches for a few seconds, then lies still [actual text from number 14 critical to head].

The other three men stand up, and stare at Heinrich in total astonishment [can't act this round].

Since he's committed to the fight now. Heinrich charges at the nearest thief.

[Heinrich to hit with axe (+10 WS for charge): 45, hit, hits left arm. S4 + 1+ d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 7 wounds, none left]
[to hit dagger = 67, miss]

The thief has no time to draw a weapon, so tries to punch Heinrich.

[thief 1 to hit (-20) = 53, miss]

The other two thieves draw short swords and attack, shouting loudly for help as they do.

[thief 2 to hit = 88 = miss]
[thief 3 to hit = 41 = hit, hits head. S3 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = 43, yes) +6! (extra damage again) + 2 - T5 - armour 1 = 11 wounds! 7 remaining, so reduced to zero and -4 critical on head! = number 15 critical =  skull shattered = dead!]

 ::heretic::  [FATE POINT]  ::heretic::

One of the thieves misses completely, but the other hits Heinrich's helmet with such force that his sword breaks. Heinrich drops like a stone, totally immobile and seemingly dead.

[Heinrich is unconscious, is at zero wounds, and has used a fate point to cheat death. He gains an insanity point from taking a critical hit]


Upstairs in the bar (having just moved nearer the door), Julian and Max hear the shouts from below [listen tests 10 and 20 respectively]. No one else in the room seems to have heard [failed tests all round!].

Max says, "Mr. Julian sir, did you hear that? Heinrich must need help! Let's go!"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 15, 2012, 02:12:41 PM
Klaus is impressed that the captain remembers him by his first name and enters the room and takes his floppish hat off.

"Greetings to you, I came here to talk about what happened in this city and my part in it. I think you are a man of action so I cut right to the point. You see I am of a impoverished (is this word right for a noble line that diminished into unimportance with no money at all and no influence?) noble line, and to restore the good name of my family I am travelling the Empire seeking out opportunities to come to fame and fortune, I think I donīt underestimate if I say that....well with the help of my allies and of course by the intervention of Sigmar himself (he makes the sign of the hammer) we avoided great danger to the city of Bogenhafen. I can totally understand that I shouldnīt run around this city or any other city telling anyone about this as the name of Bogenhafen could be spoiled, and perhaps even of the Baron. What I would like though is some kind of reward, nothing like Ruggbroder provided but prestige, that the Baron and the city of Bogenhafen will remember my deed, perhaps some symbolic item I can show or a letter that could grant me a favour of the Baron at some point."

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 05:41:03 PM
The captain narrows his eyes. "I do not appreciate being threatened, Klaus. The town does indeed owe you a debt for your action, but you have been well rewarded by the councilor. Do not forget that you have been given the freedom of the town, in spite of the numerous crimes you and your associates have committed."

He sighs. "Nevertheless, it is important that the town's disgrace does not become public knowledge. I will speak to Councilor Ruggbroder about a presentation of some kind... a symbolic key to the town is traditional. But it will have to be a private presentation, of course. Leave me the name of the inn you are staying at, and I will have a messenger sent to you when a decision has been made. Will that satisfy you?"







Quote
is this word right for a noble line that diminished into unimportance with no money at all and no influence?

[Definitely!]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 15, 2012, 05:44:06 PM
"lets go" Julian shouts, he jumps up and runs down the stairs as fast as he can, readying both his weapons.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 15, 2012, 07:20:47 PM
"Good Sir I donīt see where I made a threat, I just pointed something out I donīt have any intent on using my knowledge as I assume you and the councilor too as my friends and allies. The deal that was made with the councilor didnīt have much to do with the saving of the town...well it did but not only and you know that as well as me as stated I donīt want any more recompensations just making sure that even in the future I have allies in this town and around it. I donīt mind that this stays private between us ....I even would it prefer that way. "

Klaus will give the name of the Inn and later return to it....but first tries to find Greta to talk to her.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 07:59:11 PM
Max runs along with Julian, and they burst through the door leading to the backrooms of the tavern. The barmaid shouts something at them, but they ignore her and race on. "Here are the stairs, sir!" Max shouts. Julian kicks open the door and charges down the stairs, followed by Max.

They themselves in a cellar, lit by guttering torches. There is a man sitting at a table, blood pouring from his arm. Another man lies dead on the floor. Also on the floor is..... Heinrich, apparently dead. One man stands over him while another is going through his backpack.

Max and Julian both charge towards the two men near Heinrich.

[surprise again! Julian goes first, then Max]

[Julian to hit axe: 89 =miss
to hit hammer = 05, hit. Hits left arm. S3 +d6 roll of 5 - T3 = 5 wounds]

Julian misses with his axe, but his hammer crashes into the man's arm. He grunts with pain.

Max attacks the other one with his axe.

[Max to hit roll = 74, miss]

[next round. Thieves go first!]

One thief attacks Julian.

[thief 2 to hit = 79 = miss]

But he's clearly unnerved by the sight of the angry dwarf, and his blow fails to connect.

The other man broke his sword on Heinrich's helmet, and so draws a dagger to attack Max.

[thief 3to hit roll 36 = hit, hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 1 - 2 (dagger) -T2 -1 armour = 0 damage]

Max jumps back, and the thief's knife glances off his leather vest.

Julian attacks again.

[Julian to hit axe = 87, miss
to hit hammer = 07, hit, hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = 3 wounds. -1 critical = 92 = dead!]

His blow hits the man full in the chest, collapsing his ribcage and killing him immediately!

Max strikes at his man.

[Max to hit = 84 = miss]

The fast-moving thief avoids the blow.

[next round]

Julian is suddenly attacked by the injured thief who had been sitting at the table.

[Thief one to hit = 16, hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 2 - T6 - armour = 0]

His sword skitters off Julian's amour.

The other thief attacks Max again.

[Thief 3 = 19, hits left leg. S3 + 5 - 2(dagger) - T2 - 1 (shield) = 3 wounds!]

His knife slashes Max's thigh, seriously but not life-threateningly.

Julian attacks back.

[Julian to hit axe 81 = miss
to hit hammer = 76 = miss]

Max swings his axe.

[Max to hit = 11, hits head. S2 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = 2 wounds]

His axe hits the man in the head, gashing his forehead.

[next round]

The thieves attack again.

[Thief one to hit = 54 = miss]

[Thief 3 = 09, hits Max's right leg. S3 + d6 roll of 4 - 2 (dagger) - T2 - 1 (shield) = 2 wounds]

One thief misses Julian, while the other slashes Max's other leg!

Julian attacks.

[Julian to hit axe = 13, hits right arm. S3 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = 3 wounds. Already at zero, so -3 critical. 87 = death!]

Julian's axe cuts right through the man's arm and carries on into his chest. He dies with his body a bloody ruin!

Max attacks.

[Max to hit  = 24, hit. Hits left arm. S2 + d6 roll of 4 - T3 = 3 wounds]

He cuts deeply into the thief's arm.

[end of round. Ld test for thief  = 09. Pass]

The thief attacks Max again.

[Thief 3 to hit = 89 = miss]

Julian goes to finish him off.

[Julian axe = 83 miss
hamme = 96 miss]

But fails. Max attacks.

[Max = 18, hits right leg. S2 + d6 roll of 6! (add damage = no) - t3 = 5 wounds. -3 critical ]

Max's axe shatters the man's leg. He collapses at once, blood pouring from his ruptured blood vessels.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 09:47:43 PM
Max sways on his feet after dispatching the thief. His trousers are stained with his own blood, and his face looks very pale. "Heinrich!" he says, and crouches down to examine the body (he cries out in pain as he does so, and more blood flows from his wounds). "Oh, he's dead Mr Julian! I wish we'd gone with him.... wait." a puzzled look comes over his face, and he puts his ear to Heinrich's chest. "His heart is beating sir! He's alive. But he's hurt very badly. We have to get help." He tries to pick Heinrich up, but is quite unable to move him.

There's a commotion on the stairs, as a watch patrol enters the cellar. "Stop where you are! What happened here?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 15, 2012, 09:58:17 PM
[Klaus]

"I'm sorry if I have misjudged you," the captain says, "but you gave the impression that you would keep our secret only if rewarded... which would be understandable, if unethical. The town is grateful for what you have done. I am grateful. But these are difficult times. It seems that half the watch was in Teugen's pay, even my own aid Holbein. Unraveling his web of corruption will take time. I am afraid I have much to do. Please excuse me."

Klaus leaves the watch house and goes in search of Greta. But he realises he has no idea where she will be. He's sure she will be at Ruggbroder's side, and since Ruggbroder is currently doing his best to grab power in Bogenhafen he thinks she's likely to be too busy to see him. He returns to the inn instead.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 15, 2012, 11:17:17 PM
Julian obeys the watches command... he is aware that no one will actually know they saved the town as it was all kept secret. but at least ruggbroder and the watch captain should be friendly.

"We have reason to believe these men were involved in some sort of thieves guild. My companion here was attempting to gather sufficient evidence when he was attacked and beaten mercilesslly. We entered just in time to stop them killing him, and attempted to force the brigands to back down. They did now, so we had to fight them in self defence. I know the watch captain and ruggbroder himself would vouch for us as fine upstanding citizens, if it needs to come to that"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 01:38:16 AM
[let's have an Ld test for Julian to see how convincing he is... 06. Ridiculously convincing!]

The patrol leader is clearly impressed by Julian's manner. "You know the captain and Councilor Ruggbroder? Well, let's have a look around... why, this is Baumann the landlord! And I've seen this man serving at the bar. Search the crates, boys."

The watchmen search the crates. "It looks like stolen goods sir: marks of all the merchant families on them. Expensive stuff too."

"Well, it looks as though you were right. It's hard to believe this was all going on five minutes from the watch house! Baumann always seemed a nice enough man... Morr keep him. It looks like your friend is more than half dead, sir," he says to Julian. "The boy looks to be hurt bad too. How are you, boy?"

"I'm fine sir, it's nothing really. Please, Heinrich needs help."

The patrol leader pats Max on the back. "Don't worry boy, we'll see he gets to a physician. You too - you've been cut pretty bad. Let's go."

He orders his men to carry Heinrich, and then all of them go to the nearby watch house. The leader sends for a physician, then goes to report to the captain. The captain himself soon comes in. Julian explains the situation to him, and he's happy enough. He does warn Julian not to take the law into his own hands in future, but to come to the watch first. He promises to arrange a reward for dealing with the thieves: he'll contact them later.

After a while a physician arrives. He's a pale, nervous man who speaks so quietly he can barely be heard. He examines Heinrich first, muttering something. He removes Heinrich's helmet, and cuts his hair away around the wound. Then he applies a paste of some sort, and bandages it. Finally, he forces medicine down Heinrich's throat. This wakes him up... he's confused and weak, but alive!

[Heinrich regains d3 wounds... 3, and is considered lightly wounded (will heal naturally). He has a terrible headache and has trouble keeping his balance. He suffers -20 to all % stats for the rest of the day, and -10 for the next two days.]

The physician treats Max next. The cuts on his legs aren't as bad as they seemed. He'll be fine.

[Max regains d3 wounds... 3, and is considered lightly wounded as well.]

The physician mutters something and hands Heinrich some more medicine. Max pays him 10 crowns for his work, and he leaves.

Julian and Max help Heinrich back to the inn, where they can all rest before taking up Mortus's dinner invitation. They meet Klaus at the inn too.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 01:46:48 AM
Later that evening, Julian, Klaus, Max and Heinrich follow the directions in Mortus's invitation and arrive at the Emperor's Arms Hotel. Mortus greets them as they enter. Max says, "Hello Mortus! I... bought you this. I hope you like it." He hands her a small box. Inside is a gold necklace, with a single red stone. It looks quietly expensive.


[I guess Mortus has some plans for this dinner?]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 01:54:25 AM
Mortus has changed for dinner, she has been shopping.   She takes the box of Mortus, half embarrassed and she smiles sweetly.

"Thank you, Max," she says.   She takes the necklace out of the box and examines it.   "It is amazing.   It is really amazing."   She puts it on, twisting her tightly plaited hair out of the way.

"I have asked the landlord to have a special dinner room just for us," she says.   "If you would follow me."   She leads them into a brightly lit dinner room where a table has been laid out for them.   Mortus sits them all herself, seating Max beside herself and Julian on the other side of the table.   As they sit down a maid brings in soup for them. 

Mortus casts an eye over both Heinrich and Max and raises her eye brows.   She waits until the maid has served them and left.

"I didn't want to mention this until we were alone but what happened to you two?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 16, 2012, 02:25:40 AM
"It's nothing. Just a bump on the head from a lucky bastard."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 02:26:43 AM
"You went over after the thieves?" Mortus smiles.   "I have ordered good wine, brandy and ale if you would prefer."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 16, 2012, 06:17:10 AM
Klaus has an itching to celebrate a bit more and drink and gamble but sees the dinner at the noble inn Mortus invited them too as a nice opportunity to watch nobles and learn more about their behavior. "Mortus thanks for the invitation....you do look stunning in this new dress. Looks like something more serious than a lucky hit and Max you got wounded too I just hope you are allright...sooooooo what are your plans for the near future guys? I had in mind to accompany Max to Nuln to figure out a bit about my ancestry perhaps you guys would like to join me on my travels? Heinrich I wondered if you ever considered to become a bodyguard of course right now you have more than enough money but some day it might run dry and judging what Greta said the life of a hired sword isnīt half bad."

[Klaus will drink the good wine and order some extravagant good food something stupid like tiny birds for insane money if there is an option to gamble with some of the other people in the inn or make some conversation with people present he will do so]
 
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 09:11:56 AM
Max is delighted that Mortus appears to like the necklace. He chats happily to her over dinner, though is careful not to ignore the others either.

When she asks what happened to him and Heinrich, he says, "We did go after the thieves, Mortus, and Heinrich was nearly killed. He bravely went in there alone, but there were four of them - he was knocked out, but Mr Julian and I heard what was going on and got there in time to stop them killing him. I got cut a bit by one of the thieves... I've been hurt so many times over the last few days! Father always told me I was careless, and this proves it!" He laughs. "I really have a lot to learn about fighting... I'm not very strong or fast. I think the gods meant me to be a scholar, not a warrior! Heinrich and Mr Julian did all the work fighting the thieves. I just got in the way."

Max drinks the wine steadily, and orders something solid for dinner like a steak.

"I really do need to go back to Nuln sometime, or I will be thrown out of the university... father would kill me! Well, he'd disown me, for sure. Anyway, I'm certain that I can find proof of Klaus's right to his family name at the library there."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 16, 2012, 09:26:47 AM
"I donīt think the gods have cut anyone of us to be something but gave everyone of us the chance to become whatever we want to be." Klaus explains in a very serious way....unusual for him, even though the easy smile is still around his lips his eyes ....at least for a moment....seem to glow with anger even a bit hatred.

but the smile comes back to his whole face...
"So what I want to say is ...Max you sure have the bravery that many soldiers lack and with enough training you will be faster and stronger....if you choose to do so. Your quick wit is your biggest strength so you should learn to use it....even if you decide to join the military."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 10:11:14 AM
Max doesn't seem to notice Klaus's moment of anger. "Oh, thank you Klaus - it's very kind of you to say that. But I've been thinking a lot about the law the last few days... there's so much injustice around. Look at how Professor Teugen was able to control the watch and the courts, and how Sir Martin could have you and me whipped for no reason. Maybe if I become a lawyer, like father wants, I can do something about it." He looks thoughtful.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 16, 2012, 10:22:26 AM
Heinrich stays quiet for most of the evening, the alcohol and pain dulling his already not especially vivacious personality. He will speak up at Max's conversation.

"You are probably right about that Max. You are a very brave warrior, and courage will often make up for skill and strength when they lack. With time and practice you could be as good a soldier as any man. It is also possible to fight with your mind as well as your arms. Do not think that your strength of mind is any less impressive than Julian's strength of arms. No matter which way you choose to fight, I trust that you will be a formidable opponent to injustice and corruption."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 11:28:19 AM
Mortus puts down her glass and looks at Max, a very serious glint in her eye.

"Our paths are all out there, even if we don't know where the signposts lead.   I would not worry too much about what your father thinks.   If he can not see what you are....." she stops and picks up her glass and drains it before refilling it.   She smiles around at the gathering and then turns back to Max.

"Is university very expensive or would I be able to study there for a little while?" she asks.   "I could go to Nuln with you and Klaus."   She pauses again and shudders, as if remembering something terrible.   "I could write to my house to explain that there were no interesting wines here and that I was going to Nuln to look for some there and that I had met a noble.   I am sure they would understand if I explained it to him."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 12:18:11 PM
"Heinrich, it really means a lot to me that you would say that," Max says, "I think you are just being kind, but even so I really appreciate it. I'd love to learn anything you can teach me about fighting... and about the law too. I'm sure you must know a lot, being such a successful bounty-hunter. And it would be fantastic if you could teach me to fight too, Mr Julian sir, and you too, Klaus. You're all such experts.

"I can't disappoint my father though. He's done so much for me, even though I've failed him in so many ways.

"I'm not sure how much university costs, Mortus... I'm afraid my father pays for everything." He looks ashamed. "But I would imagine you could study for quite a while with the money we got from Ruggbroder... and I would pay some of your fee, if you'd let me. Nuln is a wonderful place to buy wine. All the best Averland and Stirland vintages are sold there. And you would do wonderfully well at the university. You are so clever and talented." He blushes as he says this, and looks away.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 16, 2012, 12:25:07 PM
Julian is drinking great quantities of ale, as well as some wine with his dinner. He ordered the most exotic thing he could find on the menu, being keen to try new and different things.

He is joining in with the fun and generally being loud and bawdy.

as max self depreciates himself once more Julian loudly shouts "NONSENSE laddy, you did just as well as me, and a darn sight better than heinrich" he pats max on the shoulder a bit too hard, causing max to spill his drink.



Julian responds to klaus's question. "Don't know about everyone else but I am about ready to leave this town. New sights to see, always more engineering to be done"


Julian carries on drinking and gets quite drunk. He even uses his dance skills if there is any music.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 12:34:57 PM
Mortus is quite happy to let everybody else get completely legless but she chats away to Max, ensuring that he stays somewhat sober.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 01:49:37 PM
Max laughs when Julian causes him to spill his drink, "Oh dear, another pair of trousers ruined! Father would beat me for that... but he's not here, so who cares! Thank you for your kind words, Mr Julian sir! But I'm going to get awfully conceited if you keep telling me I've done well!"

He talks animatedly to Mortus, about anything he can think of. A little later, some musicians enter the dining room and begin to play. Julian, now very drunk, gets up and begins to dance. Against all expectations, he's extremely good at it!

"Look at Mr Julian! He's very good... do you like to dance, Mortus?" Max says, "I do... I learned at university. Would you like to dance with me?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 16, 2012, 01:54:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwJIqqVPpjk&t=0m22s
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 02:12:38 PM
Mortus puts down her glass and stands up.   

"I would love to dance," she says, smiling.   "It has been so long."   They dance around the room once, moving gracefully together.   Mortus seems relaxed, her movements are smooth and she is grinning happily.   After they finish the first turn and start on the second she start talking softly, using the music as a cover for their conversation. 

"You are a very fine daner, Max," she tells him, grinning happily.   "Is there a lot of dancing at the university?"   For a second she seems nervous, unsure, biting the inside of her lip, and then she leans in and whispers in her ear.

"Is there anybody at the university that would be able to answer some questions about magic for me, would you be able?   If I didn't want to make a big deal of it.   I just am remembering some stuff and would like to talk to somebody about it, somebody that would understand."

When she has finished speaking she lean back from him a bit and continue the dance
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 04:07:05 PM
[Finlay: ha ha!]


"You're a much better dancer than I am, Mortus!" Max says, as they dance, "I go to a lot of dances at the university. There are formal ones of course, and... well... private parties! We can go to some, if we go to Nuln, if you like?"

Max doesn't look phased at all by her question about magic. He obviously doesn't think it's suspicious for Mortus to be interested in the subject. "I can definitely suggest someone to talk to about magic. I know some people who dabble a bit... in secret. Or if you just want information there are some very good professors who will answer any of your questions. They aren't all like Professor Teugen! You can ask me anything you want, too. I don't know all that much about magic, but I will try to answer as best I can."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 16, 2012, 06:16:48 PM
"I should come to Nuln then," Mortus says.   "Vacc told me once that magic is like a living thing, that it is attracted to people and things.   I always found this strange.   Maybe there is a professor that could explain it better.   What are the professors in Nuln like?"
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 16, 2012, 07:19:04 PM
Heinrich will head to bed, quietly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 16, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
"Well, I was taught that magic flows over the world like a wind... when a wizard wants to cast a spell they just have to sort of...uh... breath it in, I suppose you could say. I don't really understand, because I've never cast a spell!" Max laughs, "I'd love to though - it must feel amazing.

"The professors are a mixed lot really. Some of them are helpful and really know what they are talking about. Some of them do their best to avoid talking to students at all. And some of them are like Professor Teugen... like he was anyway."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 17, 2012, 12:48:01 AM
A flicker passes over Mortus' eyes when Max says he would love to cast a spell.   Then she smiles, completes the dance and leads him back to the table.   She fills her wine glass and offers him the bottle, filling his when he agrees.

"Maybe you could introduce me to some of the professors in Nuln that could help me," she says.   She smiles sweetly.   "I would like that very much."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 10:37:11 AM
"Of course I will, Mortus," Max says, "I'd be delighted!"

Eventually, it's time for the night to end. Max goes to sleep dreaming of attending a ball at Magnus College, with Mortus as his guest.


For the next week, Heinrich, Mortus, Klaus, Julian and Max stay in Bogenhafen, resting, practising new skills, and studying.

Heinrich recovers from his near-death experience, and seems none the worst for wear. He's decided to put his exceptional shooting skills to use in archery contests, which are common at this time of year. Max tells him about a major tournament that takes place in Nuln in a few weeks. [he's now a targeteer]

Mortus keeps to herself, obsessively studying her spell books. She makes extraordinary progress, and learns to control the difficult art of pyromancy. She is now a full wizard, but continues to hide her abilities. [she's a L1 wizard, and learns fireball and marsh lights]

Klaus spends a lot of time learning to read and write. Max is an excellent tutor, and Klaus's years of trying to teach himself help a great deal. Klaus is now literate. He reads Max's History of Averland book obsessively, looking for evidence for his (spurious) claim to nobility. [he's still a gambler, but has completed the career]

[Int test to learn read/write = 50  luck use! pass!]

Julian works on his combat skills, especially on boosting his strength. His experiences in the sewers convinced him to specialise in underground fighting.  [he's now a tunnel fighter]

Max does some studying of his own, in addition to helping Klaus. He does enough to expand his knowledge on astronomy and cartography, and (thanks to some long conversations with Julian) is now confident enough in his dwarfish pronunciation to speak the language well.  [he buys three of the career skills he missed at character creation]


[continues]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 11:05:00 AM
During that week, the group hear stories of Ruggbroder's increasing dominance. He has managed to take over much of Teugen's property, and some of Steinhager's too. He's also appointed several of his loyal friends to the town council. Klaus sees Greta whenever she's free, and she tells him Ruggbroder might be power-hungry but he's relatively benevolent. Klaus isn't so sure... but he plans to leave town soon anyway, so it doesn't bother him.

Word comes to the town that Crown Prince Hergard von Tassenick - the heir to the Ostland electorship, has been killed while on an expedition to the Grey Mountains. His father, the Grand Prince, blames Grand Duke Gustav von Krieglitz of Talabecland for his son's death, though no one seems sure why. There are already rumours of skirmishes along the Ostland/Talabecland border.

At the end of the week, invitations arrive for the group to attend a private ceremony at the town hall (the hall was damaged in a mysterious fire, but is mostly intact). A small gathering of officials, including Ruggbroder, Watch Captain Goertrin, and Father Albrecht, presents each member of the group with a small silver key bearing the town arms of Bogenhafen. This key, they are solemnly told, is a sign that they have been granted the great honour of the freedom of the town.

[everyone gets an increase in their social standing, which I will work out later]

The watch captain also thanks Heinrich, Julian and Max for their work eliminating the thieves at the Crossed Pikes. He gives them the sum of 100 crowns each.

After the ceremony, Father Albrecht asks to speak to them privately.

"My children," he says, "I have spent this last week carefully examining all of Teugen's papers. His home contained a great collection of blasphemous tomes, all of which have been destroyed. But I am still concerned... he has corresponded with two people on matters.... demonological. One is an unnamed person at Magnus College, Nuln, where Teugen was once a professor. The other is a noblewoman living near the town of Grissenwald, not far from Nuln. Her name is Etelka Herzen, and she seems to have also been an associate of Teugen at Magnus College.

"These two were deeply involved in the scheme that so nearly destroyed the town and brought disaster to The Empire. Yet there is no real evidence of their guilt - Herzen's letters are vague, and the other person is careful to hide his or her identity. I do not have the resources to investigate further... but I hear that you may intend to visit Nuln soon in on your own business? Might I, in the name of Divine Sigmar, prevail upon you to locate these two and deal with them in any way necessary?"

He looks at the group expectantly.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 17, 2012, 11:29:10 AM
Klaus looks uneasy with the request and looks around to see how the others think about the issue......"Well Father, as I have told you a while ago I am no warrior and those persons might be powerful mages and also influential with the nobility of Nuln. A very dangerous task you have placed upon us but I guess it wonīt hurt if we gather some informations about those two persons and contact the local official witch hunters. Might be of advantage that nobody knows us there."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 17, 2012, 11:35:02 AM
Klaus looks uneasy with the request and looks around to see how the others think about the issue......"Well Father, as I have told you a while ago I am no warrior and those persons might be powerful mages and also influential with the nobility of Nuln. A very dangerous task you have placed upon us but I guess it wonīt hurt if we gather some informations about those two persons and contact the local official witch hunters. Might be of advantage that nobody knows us there."

"Don't be a baby, Klaus. Mages die as easily as any man. You know this firsthand. We're headed to Nuln anyway."

Heinrich turns to the priest.

"We'll gladly look into it. It is only right that we should."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 17, 2012, 11:36:11 AM
"Yes Heinrich...but I think we too die as easy as any man."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 17, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
"Yes Heinrich...but I think we too die as easy as any man."

"It'll be five against two. You're not scared are you? Surely when you have been an agent of Sigmar himself you could not be frightened by a pair of heretics?"

Heinrich will lower his voice to say this, so that only those immediately around him may hear it.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 12:32:27 PM
"Gosh, another evil sorcerer at Magnus College!" Max says, "that's my own college! I wonder who it could be... of course I will help you, father. It's my duty to Holy Sigmar.

"I don't remember an Etelka Herzen from the college though... but I have heard the name. I know! That letter from Teugen's safe! Does someone still have it?"


Someone [whoever] does indeed still have the letter.

Quote from: blatant plot hook letter
My dear Johannes,

Enclosed with this letter is the scroll you require for your endeavor. I hope it will prove suitable, since I found it necessary to employ extraordinary measures to obtain it! I am sure that you do not need to be reminded, but I know you will not take offense if I say this: be certain of your preparations, especially the apparatus and the dedicatory gift. Any mistake or oversight will lead to disaster.

My thoughts are with you, and my prayers also. I wonder if the inner circle know what awaits them when the task is complete! Our old mentor at Magnus College would be delighted with both of us, I am sure. Please write to me with news of your success! I enclose my address, in case you have mislaid it. I shall be leaving home on an expedition of my own in three weeks time. I dare not say more now, but a wonderful prize lies ahead of me!

Yours in love and friendship,

Etelka Herzen.

Residing at Black Peaks Tower, near the town of Grissenwald in the Electorate of Nuln.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 12:46:15 PM
"Here is a letter of introduction to Father Anton at the great cathedral in Nuln. He is responsible for investigations into matters of forbidden sorcery, and will be very grateful for your help." Father Albrect hands them a scroll, sealed with a hammer symbol. "The fastest way to Nuln is to take a coach and go via Ubersreik, Stimmigen and Dunkelburg. The journey should take about ten days, assuming fair weather. Sigmar thanks you for agreeing to take on this heavy task in his name."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 01:54:28 PM
The group leave the town hall and go in search of transport. Fortunately, there's an Imperial Expressways coach leaving the following morning. It will cost 70 crowns each to get to Nuln, payable in advance. It's due to stop at a coaching in or town every night.

[70 crowns each, people!]

Early next morning, Heinrich, Mortus, Klaus, Julian and Max meet the coach, just outside the east gate of the town.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/bogenhafen.jpg)


The coach is a fine one, drawn by two horses. There are two coachmen, who introduce themselves as Gunnar and Hultz. Each wears a mail shirt and carries a blunderbuss, as a deterrent to bandits... and other threats. There is one other passenger. He's a young man with a bad complexion and stooped shoulders. He introduces himself - rather unwillingly - as Ernst Heidlemann, a physician's student bound for Nuln. The coachmen take any luggage (including a large leather case belonging to Heidlemann) and stow it on the roof.

Everyone gets inside the coach (there is ample room for the six passengers) and the coachmen climb onto their seats at the front.

Hultz cracks his whip and the coach is off! It rumbles along the rough road, leaving the town of Bogenhafen behind.

(http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f207/sparky_sparkfire/WFRP/coach.png)


The journey proceeds peacefully until late afternoon. Heidlemann ignores the group, instead reading a large book. He's careful to hold it so that no one can read over his shoulder.

Suddenly, the coach comes to a halt, throwing the passengers around inside. One of the coachmen shouts in alarm, followed by the thunderous detonation of a blunderbuss firing!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 17, 2012, 02:08:25 PM
“What in Grungni’s name is that” Julian exclaims, as he extricates himself from the pile of passengers on the coach floor. He bursts forth from the coach as quickly as possible, [can we assume he is armed and armoured? Or not. I think he’d at least have his axe on him… and probably be armoured too. It’s not unreasonable to expect an attack]
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 17, 2012, 02:15:09 PM
Klaus will put his foppish hat back into place and get his warhammer but leave Heinrich and Julian to be the first to exit the coach but follows after them.

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 02:25:46 PM
[yes, he'd be armoured. Coach travel can be dangerous, and as a dwarf he's comfortable enough dressed in metal!]

Julian opens the coach door and leaps out onto the road. He immediately sees the problem: a human corpse is lying in the road 20 yards ahead, and crouching over it is... a thing. It looks like a man, dressed in rags... but his skin has rotted horribly away from his living face. He stares at the coach, his red eyes filled with hatred. Shreds of meat torn from the corpse hang from his hideous mouth.

Heinrich and Max jump out of the coach next. Klaus and Mortus follow, staying behind them. Heidlemann stays seated.

The noise of the shot has drawn more creatures to the scene. Three more manlike monstrosities have emerged from the trees at the side of the road. Each is armed with a club or hachet, is dressed in rags and is covered with blood. Each has a different deformity. One has a tiny head, and babbles continually in a high pitched voice. One has cloven hooves instead of feet. A third has a head that resembles that of a dog.

There's a loud boom as the other coachman fires his blunderbuss. The shot peppers the ground near the creatures, but does nothing to deter them. All four charge toward the coach!
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Fandir Nightshade on July 17, 2012, 02:30:46 PM
I think Klaus is the fastest of the bunch.....can I go into something like overwatch, wait for them to clash on Julian and Heinrich in melee and then charge in on the flank smacking one of them with my warhammer?

Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 17, 2012, 02:32:07 PM
[you can do that, yes]

While the creatures are charging forward, both coachmen are frantically trying to reload their guns. Then a crossbow bolt comes hissing out of the trees and strikes Gunnar in the chest!

[S4 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = no) - T3 - armour 1 = 6 wounds. Reduced to zero wounds!]

It punches through his mail shirt, lodging between his ribs. He drops his gun and collapses.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Finlay on July 17, 2012, 02:58:03 PM
Julian readies his shield and axe, then charges towards the monstrosities.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: commandant on July 17, 2012, 05:45:12 PM
Mortus presses herself against the coach and draws her dagger, there is a look of pure terror in her eyes, almost like she is going to faint.   Her free hand fingers the necklace around her neck. 

"Get back, get away," she shouts.   She holds the knife in front of her.   "Get away, get away."
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: Cannonofdoom on July 17, 2012, 07:25:43 PM
Heinrich will climb up on top of the coach and fire away.
Title: Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
Post by: rufus sparkfire on July 18, 2012, 08:53:22 AM
Klaus gets ready to make a counter-attack, while Heinrich climbs up onto the coach roof. Mortus takes up a defensive position. This leaves Julian, Max and the coachman Hultz to face the creatures in hand to hand combat.

Hultz strikes first as the creatures complete their charge. He attacks the one with the tiny head.

[Hultz to hit roll: 90, miss]

His stroke fails to connect. Now the four twisted horrors attack!

[rotting face, at Gunnar: prone so auto-hit. (S2 + d6 roll of 3 - T3)*2 = 4 wounds. -4 critical = death!]

The rotted thing swings its hatchet at Gunnar as he lies on the floor, and cuts his head off in one stroke! Blood sprays over the creature: it drops to a crouch, lapping up the blood with its tongue.

[tiny head, at Hultz: to hit roll = 68, miss]

[cow feet, at Julian: to hit roll = 22, hit. Hits right arm. S3 + d6 roll of 3 -T6 - armour 2 = zero!]

The hooved thing smashes its club into Julian's arm, to little effect.

[dog head, at Max: to hit roll = 42 = miss]

[Julian to hit = 32 = hit. S3 + d6 roll of 6! (extra damage = no) - T3 = 6 wounds. -2 critical = 44]

Julian brings his axe around in a wide sweep, connecting with the creature's right forearm with enough force to shatter the bones. It drops its club and reels back, whimpering.

[Max, at dog head, to hit = 07, hit. S2 + d6 roll of 2 - T3 = 1 wound]

Max aims his axe at the dog headed thing. He catches it a glancing blow across the chest.

[Klaus, at dog head, to hit = 86= miss]

[next round]

[Klaus at dog head, to hit = 34, hit. Hits left arm. S3 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = 3 wounds]

Klaus bashes the dog headed creature in the arm with his new hammer.

Heinrich, now on top of the coach, scans the trees for the crossbowman...

[I test = 98! fail]

...but can't see him. He shoots at the rotting faced thing instead.

[to hit = 92!]

But his arrow ends up in the dirt instead.

[Hultz to hit = 45 = miss]

[crossbowman, at Heinrich = 47 = miss]

A crossbow bolt whistles past Heinrich's head!

The rotted faced thing is too busy feeding on Gunnar's corpse to do anything else.

[Tiny head to hit at Hultz = 03, hits right arm. S3 + d6 roll of 2 - T3 - 1 armour = 1 wound]

The tiny-headed thing catches Hultz a glancing blow on his arm.

[cow feet tries to punch Julian! To hit = 09 = hit, hits right leg. S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T6 - 2 armour = 0 wounds]

The hooved creature, its arm ruined, kicks furiously at Julian with its cow feet! The kick hits him, but is too weak to cause any harm.

[Dog head at Max = 91, miss]

[Julian at cow feet: to hit = 38, hits right leg. S3 + d6 roll of 3 - T3 = -3 critical = 99! death]

Julian responds by cutting the creature's leg off, killing it!

[Max to hit at dog head = 78 = miss]

[next round]

[Klaus at dog head = 79, miss]

Heinrich looks for the crossbowman again...

[I test = 06, pass!]

...this time he spots a scaley creature reloading a crossbow, just inside the treeline. He takes aim...

[to hit = 28, hit! S3 + d6 roll of 5 - T2 = 5 wounds. -1 critical = 54 = dead.]

...and his the creature in the throat! It struggles for a few desperate breaths, and then dies.

[Hultz, to hit = 21 = hit, hits tiny head! S3 + d6 roll of 2 - T3 = 2 wounds.]

Hultz hits the tiny-headed creature on its tiny head! It screams.

[Tiny head to hit = 77 miss]

[Dog head at Max = 02, hits right arm. S3 + d6 roll of 2 - T2 - 1 armour = 2 wounds]

The dog-headed thing hits Max viciously on the arm with its club.

[Julian to hit roll = 36, hits body. S3 + d6 roll of 4 - T3 = 4 wounds to dog head. -3 critical = 30]

Julian turns and strikes the dog-headed thing with his axe - he shatters its hip, causing it to fall to the floor.

[Max to hit = prone, so auto hit. (S2 + 6!(additional damage = yes) + 1 -T3)*2 = 12 wounds! Critical = death!]

Max brings his axe down on its head, shattering its