My hobby and gaming stuff has definitely suffered over the last year or so. The gaming buddy across the road moved further away; eldest son lives 120 miles away and comes home for fleeting visits and I cannot remember the last time I played a full game of warhammer.
This hasn't stopped me buying minis of course,
but with no gaming there has been even less incentive to build and paint, and as regulars will know, I need little excuse NOT to paint.
So I examined what chances I had to get some gaming in and I realised that my potential opponents had the same problem as me - time.
The days when my neighbour would come over at 7.00pm on a Friday evening and we'd play 2000pts with a few beers and pack up on turn 4 or maybe 5 at around 11.00pm, or my son and I would start Saturday morning and run a game all over the weekend had gone.
My best chances were some sort of game that would last from around 30 minutes to an hour and a half.
So what had we got? Mordheim obviously, and then I have dabbled at Saga and quite like that, and Legends of the High Seas was quite fun a couple of years ago.
I have the Legends of the Old West, plus supplements of Blood on the Plains, and The Alamo, and I have some cowboys and indians, - and then recently I have been quite taken with Muskets and Tomahawks and the French Indian Wars figures and scenery.
So what we needed was a 4' x 4' or 1200mm x 1200mm board - an adaptable board to allow me to play some of these games on it.
I already have several square scenery bases with ruins suitable for Mordheim scattered around my gaming room, and these are all on something like a 6mm thick board, so I wanted a lip to hold the bases in place and stop them getting knocked.
New bases could be made to be used for more normal land.
So I had a board cut and lipped it, then I decided to paint it blue for a water effect.
So I had the sea or water, and now I needed to make some raised sections to give me varying amounts of land.
So I got some sheets of quite thin mdf board - around 2mm and cut them up into 300 x 300mm squares, and a few 300 x 600mm rectangles.
Getting them cut accurately was quite a task and I never got it exactly right.
Then I got loads of polystyrene and glued it to these bases and took a knife and hot wire cutter, and trimmed the edges, and then with a wide scraper smeared filler down the sides .............
....... and then realised it was bloody useless as none of the edges were straight. The polystyrene was very difficult to cut neatly and there were all sorts of gaps when I tried to put the various bases together in any sort of pattern.