home

Author Topic: An idea  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Valt3n

An idea
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:33:35 AM »
Can we have a stickey post at they top of the Parade Ground to tell all new posters that 8 is not the best knight size. It seems to be put up in all new lists.
My school days were the happiest days of my life; which should give you some indication of the misery I've endured over the past 25 years.

Offline bloodbawler

• Baron of Wildenlack
An idea
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 11:35:20 AM »
I agree, but that fact alone would look a little ... strange. I think we should create a sticky, but with all such facts beside this one with the knights.
Heathens! I shall smite thee! Right after my lunch break.

Offline Valt3n

An idea
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:04:52 PM »
It would obviously be more than that. Probably the proof of the statement.
My school days were the happiest days of my life; which should give you some indication of the misery I've endured over the past 25 years.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
    • http://www.lnt.org/
An idea
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »
That Knight units of 8 aren't good or that Free Company make the best detachments or that frontages of 5 (or 6, or 7, etc.) are the best are most definitely not facts.  If someone would like to write an article or tactica illustrating their point with tables showing statistical breakdown and diagrams of in-game use, and submit it for inclusion in the War Room, that's swell.  Stickies are crap.

A sticky will:

a) be for short answers to common questions, and since every single game of Warhammer is different (different playing styles, army races, army lists, board setup, mission, terrain, house rules, available minis, etc) a short answer is not only impossible, but would be grossly misleading if not entirely incorrect.

b) cause folks to only judge posted army lists within a schema of "X troop type/quantity/frontage is gospel, and other options are incorrect."  It will diminish the quality of critiques.  Each list must be considered within the environment it is to be used.  To determine this, good Q&A is needed between poster and respondent.  "See the sticky up top" doesn't cut it.

c) push topics down the page, and it's annoying to have to wade past 7 stickies, scrolling down the page, just to get to the first post of any consequence.  Stickies are annoying.

Frankly, I'd be very interested in reading a cogent argument for or against any tactic or army-design strategy... but as a well-written article, only.

Marcus

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
An idea
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 03:12:32 PM »
Of course we could try updating this:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=996

It was on the plans during the revamp, but seems to have got missed.
 :wink:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?