home

Author Topic: Short guide to making cloaks from green stuff  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Khordale

• View Profile
Short guide to making cloaks from green stuff
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:40:23 PM »
There were some questions in another thread on how I made the cloaks for my Black Guard of Morr conversions.  I plan on making a pictorial guide that is more in-depth, but in the mean time this is a "short" version

I make a roughly even "sheet" of gs in the thickness that you want the cloaks, in a triangular shape(looks like a triangle with the top point cut off). It doesn't have to be perfect, just get the thickness about right.

Then put the gs on your work surface. You need something smooth and hard to work on. I use a square cut from an old cookie tin, but anything that is really smooth will work. put some water down before you put the piece down... makes it easier to remove it once you are finished.

Now smooth the piece out with your finger. I use just one finger and I dip it in water first. You need to get the surface really smooth and it is easy to work with here. You kinda just polish it with your finger and water. You also need to either use a sculpting tool(s) to straighten the edges or just an exacto (dipped in water) to cut them even. Straight edges look best. for this method.

(this step is optional- I started doing it for the last few cloaks I did and it looked better imo, but slightly more involved)
At the top of the cloak where it tapers, use a sculpting tool to make an indention in the middle then push the edges towards each other until it bunches up a little... this will take a little practice to get right :p This will give you the cloth bunches at the shoulders of the model.

Now use a tool to gently pry the gs piece off the work surface. try not to use your fingers because it is almost impossible to do it without getting fingerprints on the gs. Lay it on the model... If the model has no head yet (I recommend doing the cloak before the head, but it isn't absolutely vital) then just use your finger (dipped in water) to push the cloak onto the neck area and front shoulders. While you are holding that finger on the GS and have good pressure on the cloak top use a sculpting tool to put the cloak in roughly the shape you want it to flow. Be sure to keep your tool wet. once you have it in roughly the shape you want then clean up the area at the head with a tool add a few indentions at the shoulders (I use a large one in the middle and then smaller ones flanking) and clean up the edges of the cloak if you can.

One thing is don't worry too much about minor imperfections on the edges or folds -IF- you will be able to get a file on them after it cures. GS files really nicely so you can fix most nicks and rough areas. Still better to be careful though and not have too  

Keep your tools wet, but don't put too much water on the gs hehe, I know that sounds weird, but too much water will obscure the details to your eye and something that looked great while it was wet, looks much less spectacular when dry :p (you can just blow excess water off most of the time)

I have a sculpting tool kit (like 12 piece kit.. looks like Stainless steel dental tools with all sorts of heads on each, got it for around 20 dollars I think) but I only use 1 or 2 of the tools with any frequency.

The more sculpting I do the more I just use saliva to wet my tools/fingers. I know it sounds gross, but it is fast and easy and works a little better than water imo. I am sure eating gs isn't good for you though, so be careful  

You can gently pry the rider and cloak off the horse after it cures for ease of painting. I pin my riders on their mounts and I like to paint the two seperately, but it isn't neccesary.

Maybe I'll take pictures along the way and make a real guide. I certainly learned a lot making these.

Good luck!

Erik