home

Author Topic: The color of your bases?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
    • View Profile
The color of your bases?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »
*queek is OG*

Original Green.  

Enchanted Green bases, my original paint set didn't have Goblin Green in it.  old skool.

Offline Gyro LC

• View Profile
The color of your bases?
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:30 AM »
They're Goblin Green, but I'm transitioning to Dark Flesh with highlights.
All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

Offline Buddha

• View Profile
The color of your bases?
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 04:32:02 AM »
The colour of base edgings was a topic on another website I was involved with last year. Much of the debate hovered around what looks best on the wargaming table and the concensus appeared to be that brown shades fitted the bill best.

Green was, I remember, the colour of choice in the early days of the fantasy hobby, largely because the GW studio team used this most often.

I did a survey of a website set up by a collector of miniatures in which over 100 painters, as opposed to wargamers, were represented. Of these the count was in favour of black which substantially outnumbered the second place, green, which was well ahead of brown in third place.

My view is that if you are wargaming, a neutral base colour to blend with the terrain would be preferred. As a painter my preference is for a colour which will not detract from appreciation of the miniature and black is my choice with dark brown a close second.

Offline jack

• View Profile
The color of your bases?
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »
For my Empire forces ,I left the edges unpainted.

My first couple of units I painted the entire base green and dipped it in fine sand.

consequently,each model was imperceptably wider .When these units were placed in standard movement trays ,they didn't fit properly.

A little off topic;Ipainted my 40K Imperial Guardsmens' bases with a white ring .
On the front of the base I wrote with a super fine staedler marker[every mortar platoon soldier has tonnes of these] their name and rank.

On the rear of the base  I inscribed their unit callsign[C\S].

As they are Alpha company they all use the numerical prefix 1[HQ 19,first platoon 11 ,second platoon 12 ,etc].

Each squad gets a letter suffix[11a,11b,11c for the 3 squads in the first platoon].

This eliminates the common practice you see in 40K of multicolored helmets or shoulder pads.
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry