home

Author Topic: ranks  (Read 5886 times)

Offline jack

ranks
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:47:26 PM »
  What happened to the ranking system on the site?

It's not that I'm into being an elitist ,but I thought the Imperial themed ranks were kind of neat.

I imagine  some of you Uber posters were running out of titles[after all ,there can only be one Emporer].
eat till you are tired .sleep till you are hungry

Offline The Village Idiot

• Empire GT Winner
Re: ranks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »
Yeah, I kind of liked the rank titles as well. Maybe they just have not been set up yet? I'm sure the mods are busy behind the scenes refurbishing the site.

The Village Idiot
Rankest of them all.
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 04:12:02 AM »
I agree. I finally had gotten off the first tier and then they removed it.... :(
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Kernschatten

• Riverside, CA, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:37:51 AM »
They were here for a while. Along with those color coded stars that also seemed to have disappeared.
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline HoS

• Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:41:14 AM »
you have one....
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Kernschatten

• Riverside, CA, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »
I had 5 of them! Then, once the General re-activated the campaign team I dropped down to 1. Now only the campaign team has any at all.
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline Fafnir

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:12:20 AM »
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the site is far from finished. I assume it isn't actually going to look like this forever. :-o
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Duellist

• Bring back the location feature!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 07:10:53 PM »
Ranks and (possibly) stars are something I'd quite like to see again. They gave your profile an even more personal feeling and were generally cool IMO. But more important to me was the location part which we've lost just now. Sure you can find out where a member is from if you click their name, but it was nice to just glance to the left and see if they meant US/canadian/australian dollars (depending where they hailed from) or other little things that vary from country to country and city to city, like availability of certain things or tournament rules etc etc. Also being one of the very few Scottish members it was nice to occasionally see a fellow scot here on the site. Obviously I understand that everything isn't set in stone yet, but I do miss that little part of the site and hope it won't be lost.

Duellist
Duel until death does part you from this life!

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
    • http://www.warhammer-empire.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 09:02:54 PM »
I'll consider bringing the ranks back,  but I can't say the same for those icky stars.

-Grutch

Offline Hedgehog

• http://ww.dakkadakka.com
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »
One small request I'd like to make: is it possible for the 'Mark forum read' button to take you back to the main site, rather than the forum you've jsut read?

Generally when I've marked it as read I don't need to see it again :)

PS Finally got my avatar on the site...
You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:48:11 AM »
d'AWWWWWWW!

hedgehog pics.   :-D

Offline Hedgehog

• http://ww.dakkadakka.com
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 07:01:39 PM »

He is incredibly cute, isn't he?
You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Offline Keith Rowland

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 01:12:20 AM »
I'll consider bringing the ranks back,  ...
-Grutch

My vote is to leave them where they are...gone. Never understood the need for them myself. *shrug*
If you always tell the truth you won't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mystic Force

• Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 01:54:29 AM »

Never understood the need for them myself.

Its so I can write useless posts like this one, in a pathetic attempt to get a higher rank!
Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 04:45:49 AM »
I agree. Useless posts for the win!!!!

No, I think they just give a feeling of fun and something that you kinda look forward to.... like "Only one more post to go and I will be a new rank.... I wonder what rank", and because they were empire related

The ranks were useful also in knowing how valuable someones comment was (although I guess amount of posts shows that too....) like Elector Counts amd I think Queek was Rules God or something (I cant remember who, Queek is the name that sticks in my mind)

I'm not saying new posters or inconsistent posters weren't valuable sources of information (I'd like to believe I have a lot to offer) I'm just saying I liked them..... They were Empire ranks. Imagining myself in a mighty army of all the Warhammer-Empire  put together, where I would be placed..... (if all warhammer armies in the world combined to make an 'Empire' and a 'Bretonnia' etc. then me and my armies contribution would be like a Greatsword....

Look, I just liked them alright!!!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fafnir

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »
The individual, unique ranks (like 'Rules God' mentioned above) were fun. Not that I ever got one (  :cry: :wink: ) but they were fun.

Offline Constantine

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
If I may, bolterandchainsword.com is one of the most succesful Games Workshop-related forums on the internet, and they do not use the ranking system.  Moderators and admins have unique titles, indicating their commitment in running the forum.  Everyone else shares the title 'frater domus'.  While I respect the system for its potential to indicate seniority and experience, I don't know how accurate a system it is.  I imagine there are many experienced and intelligent players who only make a few choice comments, while others make regular posts without necessarily saying anything worthwhile. 
Faith, Obedience, Zeal, Duty, Purity.
Scions of Myrmidia.

Death to the False Emperor.
6th Great Company, Emperor's Children.

Offline Fafnir

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »
By what criteria to you rate the Bolter and Chainsword as one of the most successful Games Workshop-related forums on the internet? I used to frequent it when I played 40K and collected Space Wolves, but I left long before I quit 40K, because the quality of the discussions and the arguments, if not the spelling, were so low - and the only good discussions just went in a loop. Might just be my own prejudice though, just an early reaction to the simplistic predictability that ultimately made me quit 40K, I don't know.

Offline bigrin42

• The Old Ones
    • http://www.sleepless.to/brad
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
I couldn't care less about the ranks, but I would like to see the Locations come back.  Makes it easier to answer questions about suppliers, tournies, etc. if you can see where the person is from.

Brad G.

http://www.sleepless.to/brad

- Warhammer-Empire Technical Support: Making your experience worth every penny you paid for it

Offline Big Time

• Resident alcoholist
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »
The ranks were kinda cool, I can't say I miss them. Not that it makes a difference, really, because my rank will always be "Deadliest Man Alive" (but only since the passing of the dreaded Count Dante). If they come back, great. If not, so be it. Locations would be great, as others have said, so that we can see how global anonymous slandering really is.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
-Oscar Wilde

CountRommel

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 07:51:58 PM »
I miss the ranks, But I would like to see the locations back first myself.  It kind f helped you relate one another in a sense.  I honestly wish my avatar was loaded up.

Offline Archaon

• The Everchosen
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 01:26:08 AM »
As long as I can keep my custom rank, I'm fine with it.

I agree with Grutch, the stars were ugly.
Proud user of an Empire General

Offline Kernschatten

• Riverside, CA, USA
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 04:09:03 AM »
And I'm still stuck with this damned star.

Offline valmir

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 06:16:11 AM »
Kernschatten: Texas Ranger.

I'd like to see both the ranks and the locations come back. I think the Locations are probably more important than ranks, but I'd like to see them both. The 'spam' issue really doesn't seem to be a problem on this site, where the standard of posts is so high (although I can see how it would be a problem on other sites).
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 06:33:29 AM »
I agree, spam isn't a prob... My other half goes on another forum where they are much stricter than us, and I think she has changed my way of thinking. My posts are generally long....

Location is handy because on occasion I think someone may be referring to AUS$ but its US$ and it disappoints me. Sometimes I also think the way people play and their motivations generally can change from country to country....