home

Author Topic: ranks  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Duellist

• Bring back the location feature!
Re: ranks
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:44 PM »
I think someone may be referring to AUS$ but its US$
Exactly my original point, when I raised the location issue. It's so much easier in so many cases to have it on the members profile thing. Basically it's an incredibly useful thing and it should be brought back. Join the revolution! Bring back the locations!!!

Duellist
Duel until death does part you from this life!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »
OT: Duellist, where you ever on The Merchant Prince?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Duellist

• Bring back the location feature!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 09:10:31 AM »
I've visited the website a few times, but have never been a member. Why do you ask?

Duellist
Duel until death does part you from this life!

Offline HoS

• Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »
Look, I just liked them alright!!!

Well said! I liked mine, which was "Freakin Idiot." Probably the most accurate rank on the site....
Gave into the WoW.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 02:54:01 PM »
I'm not sure...

I've always got the vibe from you that you were a DoW player first and foremost, converted to Empire. And I thought I remembered similar comments made on Merchant Prince which kind of matched some thoughts you represented.... But that was a while ago...

Of course your Username is 'Duellist' but I just get more of a DoW player and strategist feeling from you, rather than Imperial (I mean it in a good way)....

Nothing important really, just wondered if you were the same guy.... :roll:
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
    • http://www.lnt.org/
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 02:24:09 PM »
Ranks and stars should stay gone.  Also do away with the little comments under the avatars. 

There's already a post count for those who feel that defines their experience at Warhammer-Empire.com, but I think that should be removed as well.

The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing again is the location info next to the avatar, and having it be mandatory upon registration.  We don't need your personal street address, but city and country at the minimum.  Having that stuff in the member profile is fine too, but I think it's good on the left as a quick reference.  In the past I've seen numerous posts where someone asks something like "are there any players who live in or near XYZ-ville?" and that member himself didn't even bother to fill in his location.

M

Offline Clarkarias

• Sarnia, Ontario
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 01:13:16 PM »
I'm hoping that the FrapprMap that's in the Electors Forum helps more with finding where people are.  Everyone go and put your face on the map!!

As for ranks, who cares.  I think they're fun little things, especially when you have little personal ones that the admin gave to you.  I don't look at post count when I read someones post.  I look at the name of the poster and the quality of the post.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Dihenydd

• Spare not the Lash!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2006, 12:55:33 AM »
I like the ranks, and the comments, but I really like the locations.  Its all that extra stuff that adds to fun experiences.  We don't neeeeed dingle balls on our car, or fuzzy dice, or spinners, or that exhaust upgrade, but we do it anyway.  Not all of us to be sure, but enough that life isn't all about utilitarianism. 

I live in a city that's all about function, no regard for form.  Its the money, oil is bringing it in!  So now we have all these people with $$ and no regard for the fun stuff or arts or architecture ect.  Its all about how big my house is, how fast my PC works, how ostentatious my SUV is, not about design etc.

Sorry for the rant  :x anyways, I like having little stuff that makes one smile etc.  So add on the extras if possible.  Even those who don't like all that stuff still put up sig lines and avatars so....

Last comment, having city location Mandatory, that is awesome!  I heartily support that.
Blah

Offline AldebrandLudenhof

• London, UK
    • Hammer and Anvil
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
I like ranks. I liked being Count Aldebrand Ludenhof. It was, er. Kinda appropriate.

For myself, if there's one thing I'd dump it's signatures. Unnecessary and messy. But I don't mind them here. Besides, I like their absence as a special feature of H&A.

On a related (sort of) note, I like having PM's here. I've had two nice convos by pm already which I would not have had on the boards, deeming the post content to be too OT to put up on the main boards...so, yeah. I hope that's here to stay. If the problem is anything to do with money or some such, I'd make a donation happily enough. If the problem is moderating pm's, why not just let staff members be able to read pm's? We've introduced that at H&A following an incident which led to a debateable second ban for Tancred, and no-one has objected. I don't think people here would mind that.

I don't like the look of the board, but I know it's going to change, so, meh.

I hope we get the nice Empire smilies back though.

Skipping back to titles, I hope not too many people do have their own special titles. I find them a bit cluttersome, and prefer standard ranks to be held by as many of the site members as possible. I don't like how some titles seem to be pushing the text of some peoples posts too far to the right.

Stars should stay gone.

I like seeing location at a glance. As long as people don't put three exclamation marks and other such things within their 'location' slot entry.

As I've said and explained many times before, I like having post count.

Currently some people have titles and some have none at all, since we have no standard ranks now. I don't like this disparity.

[/assorted thoughts and mumblings]

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
For myself, if there's one thing I'd dump it's signatures. Unnecessary and messy.

There is an option in your profile to make signatures and avatars invisible to you. That's what I do.

Skipping back to titles, I hope not too many people do have their own special titles. I find them a bit cluttersome, and prefer standard ranks to be held by as many of the site members as possible. I don't like how some titles seem to be pushing the text of some peoples posts too far to the right.

Are you refering to the 'personal text' feature, that some people are using to write lame nonsense in? I wish we didn't have that too. But they are not titles!

Moderators are able to give themselves special titles, if they must.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• London, UK
    • Hammer and Anvil
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 03:50:34 PM »
Are you refering to the 'personal text' feature, that some people are using to write lame nonsense in? I wish we didn't have that too. But they are not titles!
Ah, that's what those things are. I thought they must be things staff have given them...I was surprised to see that.

EDIT: I do like GH's one though I must admit.

Invisible sigs? Hurrah! Avatars are good though. Makes names easier to recognise and Hedgehog has an awesomely cute avatar.

EDIT 2: *utilises the personal text feature to give himself his old title back*

I still haven't got used to the boards as they are now and keep forgetting where buttons are.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:21:28 PM by AldebrandLudenhof »

Offline Calvin

• Administrator
    • CalvinWinter.net
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2006, 01:50:02 AM »
A good use for the personal text option is an impromptu location field, seeing as the current engine doesn't support an official one.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

• London, UK
    • Hammer and Anvil
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006, 09:56:48 PM »
Really? I thought that was just coming later. Ok.

Offline Calvin

• Administrator
    • CalvinWinter.net
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 10:01:36 PM »
Well, thats what we first thought, but not it turns out that it actually hasn't been implemented into this engine. However, that could change in the future.

Basically what I'm saying is that at this point it isn't up to us when/if it becomes possible.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Hendrid

• ALBAtwo
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 09:55:37 PM »
Locations - Yeaahh!

Stars - Booo!

Ranks - Yeaahh!

Signatures - Yeaahh!

It's all a bit of fun, a bit of colour on the forum which gives the site a feel that is differant from other sites. Vive la differance!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 06:18:48 AM »
EDIT: I do like GH's one though I must admit.

Me too!!

A good use for the personal text option is an impromptu location field, seeing as the current engine doesn't support an official one.
And thanks for the tip about using the personal text as a make-do location field. I will be doing that now....