home

Author Topic: How to make Halflings  (Read 7362 times)

Offline Davo

How to make Halflings
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:22:13 AM »
considering there are no current available halfling models (besides lumpin crops fighting cocks which u cant get down under  :icon_frown:) i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to convert halflings. i think it would be so cool to have a great looking unit of these blokes.
EH, EH, EH

Offline offroadfury88

• Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
Re: How to make Halflings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 06:27:07 AM »
dwarfs bodys using happy faces? perhaps skaven plague monk robes, replacing the feet and putting empire or brett heads on them?
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Soju

• personal text goes here
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
I tried making a halfling once out of;
6th edition night goblin legs
6th edition empire knights torso
empire arms and weapons and heads

They turned out really grotesque and totally 'un-halfling' like. But you know, the ogres changed their looks, so too the ogryns... halflings may get a little makeover too, ya never know!

But I think dwarf bodies may work too. They're more 'paunchy'.

Keep an eye out on ebay and even www.trademe.co.nz for halfling armies that fleet about in excessive amount of money.

sj

Offline Davo

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:33:41 AM »
you may be onto somehting with the gobbo's. I have a couple of goblin models i got in a bitz bag. i could cut the legs off and give the upper body some form of breastplate (empire knights etc.) then i could use some form of halfling looking head....probably shaven. for arms i'd use puffy ones (i cant see halflings anyother way)
EH, EH, EH

Offline Soju

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
There's a particular knights panther head, the grinning one wearing a helmet that is fashioned like a panther's head, with the incisors covering the knights face. I thought that ugly deformed face might do halflings justice - but as a Stirlander, I consider most Moot inhabitants to be like that anyway :D

lol

But you're right about the arms, I've played around with the new 7th edition minis, that don't have the puff-and-slash, and they don't look good. They just look like skinny children with oversized heads.

The thing about night gobbo legs is that they're just wearing leather shoes with those ... tunics or whatever you call them; they look like skirts. So, they don't look 'primitive' with raggedy orcish clothing. Of course the problem is their tiny little waistline!

sj

Offline Davo

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »
yeah i know the one ur talking about. and the skirts is a real bummer to but i geuss they can be sort of drag halflings. i feel u're pain on the new soldiers there crap. the ripped orc clothing can easily be sorted out with green stuff
EH, EH, EH

Offline Badwolf

• 10mm KoW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:33:08 AM »
Some of the old Imperial Halflings are still available from GW UK mail-order but I imagine the postage would be ludicrous.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301560&orignav=301116

The only entirely Halfling Empire army I've ever seen was at a tournament in Auckland in '94 or '95. The only unofficial additions to it were the characters but back in 4th ed. the stats and points costs for characters were easy to calculate because GW used a universal formula for them.

Offline Siamtiger

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »
Perhaps not totaly fitting, but for the 40k Ratling Snipers you could use the old Gretchin figs from the 2nd Edition 40k startbox and replace their heads with empire ones.

Main problem about the halfling conversion, you need bare feet and round faces. The bodies aren't the problem, there are enough "stunty" races in WHFB.

Offline imperialforge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »

'nuff said...

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-half-men

Can you get better than Copplestone-sculpted halflings?
I think not...

Offline patsy02

• Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
Simple - LOTR hobbits. Excellent models as well, but they might not fit with the plump, potato-nosed warhammer midget fluff :roll:
Another alternative is taking a Gnoblar body, the head of one of the old pistoliers(they look chubby when you put them on those small bodies, and the helmet and feather look very halfling-like), model on a pot belly and slashes, and GS over any ugly, patched Gnobbo clothes.(I've done this, it works fairly well :-D)
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Davo

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 06:04:13 AM »
i'm determined not to buy anything online. most of these companies (including GW) cost a fortune to ship because i live in Australia and i really meant halflings on the cheap
EH, EH, EH

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 03:14:47 PM »
Common goblin legs (you get some from the wolfriders box) militia torsos (the one with the jacket) and cut down some arms from the Militia box. Use clean shaven heads with floppy hats, and there you go.

At least I don't think they look that bad...

But then again I also own approximately 40 or so halflings with varying equipment, so its only the odd kitbash
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Malvino

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »
my work! :happy:

and a drawing yet!

Offline Soju

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »
You saucy Italian you... DAMN THEY'RE GREAT!!!

Arghhhh I'm so tempted to bust out few of the halflings now!

I wanna see them painted... do it... do it now!!!

sj

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
    • http://www.warhammer-empire.com
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:39:11 AM »
Yeah show em painted!  I can't wait to see!

Offline Davo

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:09 AM »
Malvino those are beautiful  :icon_cry: :eusa_clap:
EH, EH, EH

Offline Davo

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 05:32:40 AM »
I would love to see those minis painted yes but can u explain all the parts i can see gobo legs and crew men arms
EH, EH, EH

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »
Very good, but halflings don't wear shoes!  :icon_razz:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Malvino

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:04 PM »
thanks companions!!
this halfings was made for my mercenary army and for the company of "wine merchants" but i havent finish them ...
now if you are interested i can made a step to step tutorial for the site...
i am an imperial artisan or not!?^^
the problem is thet i haven't some of the base kit i have used...maybe i have to take them by my undead and mercenary army...
the component for these tree models are
zombi torsos (simply perfect especyally thet whith a little cap!) but you must cut off a little piece for glue the
common goblin leg
and after you coan have funny to cut some arms i prefer old sproue of swordmancut at the elbows for meke shorter arms,
you have to cut down the weapons too
and finally the heads
i am a modest sculpter but you must add some little balls of green stuff on the face to made some fat faces...
ies i have to made a photografic tutorial!
@soju thanks a lot my zea-lander companion!
@grutch i star to work my lord!?^^
@rufus you are right but i dislike barefoot models...maybe i can made some test models with the new flagellants kit!

Offline Gneisenau

• Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
A musician with an accordion? Now that's a novel idea. And it fits.

And "latte di succera" - that's really cool. You know, you could add some of the bottles that come with the new sprues to them, and take the bone from the infantry sprue and use it as a gnawed-of remain of the last meal.

Offline Davo

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
yeah im not realy bothered weather halflings are bare foot or shoed. it dosnt say there barefoot anywhere (lotr ones are)
EH, EH, EH