The Altdorf 3rd Expeditionary Force
From his seat of power in the city state Altdorf, the Emperor oversees the mighty realm of the Empire. While this capital is relatively protected from many of the forces that threaten the Empire from without, the Emperor understands that it still is his personal duty to ensure the protection of all the citizens of his great Empire.
To this end the Emperor created the Altdorf Expeditionary Forces
. Drawn from the standing forces of Altdorf, they are deployed to rapidly respond to any threats or developments within the Empire, whether it be aiding the defence of a border province from Orc incursions, or to cleansing the country side of the foul beasts of Chaos. Through these actions the Expeditionary Forces ensure the stability of the Empire both by responding to threats within it, as well as illustrating to its citizens and enemies alike that no corner of the realm is beyond the Emperors protection.
The Altdorf 3rd Expeditionary ForceCommandEmpire General
- Field Commander Johann Holst
- Holy Relic, Icon of Magnus, Hammer of Judgement, full plate armour, shield, barded warhorseCaptain
- First Knight Wolfgang Ludenhof
- Pegasus, lance, full plate armour, shieldCaptain
- Captain Hendrich Kessel
- Sword of Power, full plate armour, shield, unbarded warhorseWizard
- Helmut 'Miscast' Steinberg
- Skull of Power
Altdorf Infantry Units 25 Swordsmen
- full command detachment
- 9 Halberdiers 25 Halberdiers
- full command detachment
- 9 Swordsmen detachment
- 5 Archers 10 Handgunners 10 Flagellants
Altdorf Mounted Support Units 5 Outriders
- musician 5 Pistoliers
- musician 5 Pistoliers
Order of the Golden Lion Knights 6 Inner Circle Knights
- lances, musician, standard bearer, steel standard 6 Knights
- lances, champion, musician 6 Knights
- lances, champion, musician
Total - 2000 points
Summary and StatisticsCharacters
- 530pts, 27% Core
- 863pts, 43%Special
- 507pts, 25%Rare
- 100pts, 5%Infantry
- 26%Fast Cav
- 45 flying pieces of hot lead per turnDispel Dice
- 3 to 6Head Count
- Total: 130, Infantry: 93, Mounted: 33, Characters : 4
The Altdorf 3rd - description and backgroundThe 3rd
is commanded by Field Commander Johann Holst, former First Knight of the Order of the Golden Lion. General Holst was offered the command of the 3rd
after his display of tactical brilliance during the Siege of Ubersreik in 2515. Having sworn a vow of loyalty to the Emperor, like all other Knights of the Golden Lion, Holst accepted the position so that he might be of better service to his lord.
Altdorf Expeditionary Forces typically consist of light infantry and mounted units. Heavy infantry and artillery are not commonly found within these forces as speed is often essential to the fulfilment of their missions, however under orders of the Emperor such units can be drawn from local provinces when deemed necessary by the Expeditions Field Commander. The 3rd
is unique among such forces however given its standing contingent of Knights of the Golden Lion, a Knightly Order based in Altdorf and dedicated to serving the will of the Emperor. The contingent was added shortly following Holsts commission, and has proven to be an invaluable asset to the 3rd
Over the course of Holsts command, the 3rd
has travelled the length and breadth of the Empire. Battles of note include the utter destruction of the Nightwraith Raiders on the shores of the Sea of Claws following the 2516 slave raid of Salzenmund, the 2519 rescue of Lady Etherly from a ravenous minotaur warband in the Forest of Shadows, to the more recent defence of The Moot from starving Orcs in the infamous Battle of the Bacon Butty.
Tactical Overview"Versatility is key"
- Johann Holst, Field Commander of the Altdorf 3rd
The Altdorf 3rd is somewhat based on a MSU (Many Small Units or Medium Sized Units) strategy. The army has a fairly consistent spread of points among its many units, which is advantageous in that all the units can be considered expendable, and any may be sacrificed during a battle without significantly decreasing the armies overall effectiveness. In addition many of the units can be used for a variety of roles, including baiting, flanking, sacrificing, and frontal assaults. The combination of these two factors results in a very versatile army, able to respond to many types of opponents.
Overall the basic strategy can be summarised as 'small unit domination'. Basically knights, fast cavalry and Captains are used to overwhelm any of the opponents small protection units, giving my mobile elements access to the flanks and rear of the enemy forces.
Given this the 3rd
generally makes use of its many mobile units to attempt to crush the enemy flanks. Commonly the infantry deploys in the center, while the Pistoliers, two units of Knights and the Captains storm one flank. The outriders are also deployed with a mind to weakening these units. However this being said the army is very mobile and quite versatile, and often this strategy is modified upon seeing the enemies deployment and army composition, but the overall basic strategy still applies.
Composition AnalysisThe Characters
All combat characters are mounted, allowing them to be deployed in nearly any unit in the army, thus improving its combat effectiveness. Additionally mounted characters are able to more readily redeploy during the course of a battle. Both these benefits enhance the armys versatility.Empire General
- Generally deployed with the infantry units to boost leadership, though at times attached Knights to add to their combat effectiveness. With an armour save of 1+ and a 4+ ward save the general is often used to counter enemy uber-characters. Despite this focus on defence he is also able deal out some damage with the Hammer of Judgement. Also equipped with the always handy Icon of Magnus.Captain on Pegasus
- Standard build, equipped with a lance. Mostly used to support flanking units, excels at war-machine hunting, and adding a few additional kills to any combats.Captain on unbarded steed
- This guy is a little beauty. Being mounted on an unbarded steed he can join any cavalry unit (including fast cavalry). This enables him to boost the combat effectiveness of the pistoliers, or even turn a group of knights into a nice little hammer unit. Additionally this character can be detached from the unit he is deployed with (often to the surprise of the enemy) and used independently, often for baiting, war machine hunting, or taking on other enemy harassment units by himself. He is equipped with the Sword of Power which significantly boosts his combat potential, it's an expensive choice but it can really make a difference on the flanks.Wizard
- Pure magic defence. For only 95 points he can provide up to 6 dispel dice per turn. Kept as far away from trouble as possible.The UnitsInfantry blocks
- All Empire Generals know the power of a solid block of infantry. Deployed centrally, they act as an anvil for the flanking forces. These units are deployed first in order in encourage the enemy to deploy the bulk of his forces opposite them, thus opening up his flanks. The unit is 25 strong (5 x 5 formation) which allows the unit to suffer some casualties before its rank bonus is effected.
Each combat block has a 9 man combat detachment. These are deployed in the warhammer-empire classic 3 x 3 formation, and located behind the parent unit, ready to support either flank. The 5 man archer detachment is used to harass and march block enemy units, and fluff wise represent the scouts of the 3rd
- Fielded as a separate unit rather than a detachment to allow them to be freely deployed where ever they are needed. Used to weaken units for the flankers, or to reduce enemy unit strengths prior a combat ensuing. Also good as a last minute flanking unit.Flagellants
- This small unit is extremely useful. Deployed behind the main force it is used as a reserve unit to counter any threats that may break through the lines, or would otherwise be a problem All Generals know that your best laid plans don't survive contact with the enemy, that being the case this little unit has saved me more times than I can remember.Knights
- Each of the units is 6 strong, making them cheap enough for baiting or sacrificing, whilst still providing enough punch when flanking or assaulting head on (though often in conjunction with a Captain, or after the missile troops have weakened the opposing unit). The inner circle Knights of the Golden Lion are equipped with the Steel Standard to make sure they get that strength 6 on the charge.Pistoliers
- Deployed up the flanks where they use their considerable missile fire to counter small enemy units. They are also the ultimate baiters, setting up charges for an accompanying unit of knights. Also useful in flanking an already engaged enemy unit. When deployed with the Captain on unbarded steed, this unit can be quite powerful, especially behind the enemy lines.Outriders
- Also deployed on the flanks, it is used in conjunction with the Pistoliers to eliminates small enemy units, clearing the way for the knights. Also useful for forcing panic tests on virtually any unit.
- This is my most commonly used list, with which I've had great success. It's fast and fun, and suited to Generals who like to out-manoeuvre their opponents. I hope you enjoyed looking over The Altdorf 3rd
. Good gaming!CaptScott
Edit: Still perfecting the content, expect minor changes from time to time.