home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 49021 times)

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2009, 01:43:48 PM »
With the last lights of the sun's rays beginning to dip below the horizon, Arathos nodded to Brim, who then disappeared into his tank, the hatch closing behind him.  The Emerald Wind rumbled forward, a warning shot from it's front cannon exploding forth, aimed straight for the gates.  As the tank rolled with increasing speed towards Moslac, the Dawnstrider Legion's men marched on the double quick for the city's walls.  The attack had begun.
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Dannyfave

• A.K.A Skabilly Takamaster.
« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »
Without breaking the artisic stride, can I ask what the hell is going on in here?
From feanor fire heart:

"In west virginia why couldnt they have sex ed and drivers ed on the same day?  Because its too much work for the donkey"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Be better then a man, join the waagh effort!
    • Face Book
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
((Sent you a PM Danny))
Scream WAAAGH and let slip the Boars of war!

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:38 PM »
Without breaking the artisic stride, can I ask what the hell is going on in here?

Lmao thats sig worthy.

Moslac, Border Princes IC 2524

Thomas ran across the road, shouting to his men to carry on the fight. The heathen monstrosity of theirs had smashed through the outer gates and trundled straight through several houses before it became stuck in one of the many ditches dug throughout the town.

The outer defenses had been breached, with heavy losses his men had fallen back among the buildings of the town. For a time, a brave unit of Pikes had held the central road before being cut down by mass handgun fire, the Black Company soldiers lying in a grisly pile where they had led their last stand. The one remaining cannon had been brought back during the night, Thomas had other plans for it.

The Captain was seething with anger. The enemy had offered terms, yet had attacked before a reply could be given, Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts', but manners in war were everything. His crossbows had taken cover near the bridge, and were covering the main square, turning it into a death trap, as of yet the enemy had failed to break through the hastily made second line, Thomas and his men were in an excellent defensive position.

And the reinforcements were only a day away. They just had to hold the bridge.

I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy New Year! : )
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
Check out the Ex-Solland thread as well.

Let us know if you have questions and we'll be happy to fill you in on what is happening in either location.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy New Year! : )
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
North of Mortensholm, Border Princes, 2524 IC

After a good distance, from where they had found Bennis' fusiliers, Aldo, the oldest of the group, turned to Lars, the pistolier's leader, and whispered so the other guys wouldn't hear him, "Lars, you got to be more careful when executing your authority over soldiers who aren't directly under your command.  We came here to fight the enemy, and not our own, if you know what I mean."

Lars looked over at Aldo, and then back ahead.

The six of them, Serge, their musician, Rainier, the brawny one, Theo, the most daring, Didier, the ladies man, along with Aldo and Lars, had all showed up on Baron Eduard Dreisch's tent flap when Lars had gone to request to be attached with Baron de Crux's expedition that was headed for Kreutzenhofen to deal with Agrabod's ogres.  Driesch was some what relucant to give up some of his men, but at the same time these guys were relative newcomers compared to his veterans, and the overall cavalry commander Siegfried was not unwilling to part with what he called, "the new guys", and so Baron Driesch had let them go.  The young men had been disappointed when some sort of agreement had been made between both forces, but when it was announced the newly bannered Solland forces were going over the mountains to help out Mortensholm, their moods had become reinvigorated.

But now, Lars contemplated that perhaps his enthusiam had gotten the best of him when interacting with some of Baron Pfeifraucher's troops.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Uryens de Crux

« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
Mortensholm, spring IC2524

Uryens watched as the Grand Army of Solland began to deploy into attack columns.

"Captain Jamie" shouted Baron de Crux, looking round for his ensign.

"Jamie, take a flag of parlay to the town and tell them that by order of the Baron of Wusterburg the forces seigeing Mortenshoom are to quit the town by nightfall, they can retain their colours and arms and leave peacefully. If they remain, they shall be hanged as bandits and thieves."
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Face Book
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2009, 01:58:15 AM »
   Donixote watched as the Dawnstriders rushed the main gate and pushed them back. Turning to his men he grinned saying a quick line before the Arab and Estalian charge began: "Time to have some fun!"

The Tactics were clear... Charge and outnumber... The Arabs were too eager to spill some Barbarian blood, and the Estalians were over joyed to finally end some heathen scum.

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Face Book
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2009, 03:34:23 AM »
(( "Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts',"))
((WEEEEWWWWTTT!   WAAAAGH! Hell yeah, a WWII Reference... Battle of the Bulge baby!))

Offline Toro_Blanco

« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2009, 05:51:39 AM »
Arathos' greatswords came to a halt just as they passed the ruined remains of the pikes that had defended the central road.  Frederick soon rode up behind him, dismounting his horse.  They heard the shouting of men helping to dig the steam tank free of the ditch.  Brimcon had a bandage on his head and was being treated for a concussion, but the dwarves were grumbling and drinking by the ditch in between bouts of shouting instructions at the soldiers on how to dig properly.  It would likely take all night to dig it free and press it back into action, and that was assuming the steam engine was relatively undamaged by the crash.  Arathos would not wait that long.  He peered across the bridge just a ways down the central road, and wondered what defenses waited for them in the town's main square.  The thump of Kelyddon planting the Legion's battle standard was heard behind him, just over the din of battle as his men cleared out the buildings and mopped up what remained of the defenders that had not fallen back.  The Estalians had poured into the town just after his men smashed the gates, and were whooping and cheering their rousing success, preparing themselves for the next move.
     "You know it's a trap; it always is when they withdraw" Eathelyn cautioned.  Arathos nodded, his lower jaw jutting forward a bit as he pondered his next move.
     "We could bombard the square, if we hurry and haul a few mortars forward to this location.  But, that would destroy a number of the buildings, and possibly start a fire.  We're not here to sack the place, so damage needs to be minimal."  A loud explosion from inside the square caused them to jump; Averrob was on a rooftop lobbing fireballs at percieved enemy hideouts.  Not every one landed on an enemy hiding place, and not all of them landed where Averrob aimed them, but they were all damaging to the town.  "If we don't hurry and take the square, Averrob will handle the fire concern for us."
     "So, what's the plan, General?"  Frederick moved to stand beside Arathos.
     "It's going to be bloody; order the swordsmen across, and have them fan out as they do so.  Once the trap is closed, follow with your cavalry in a charge and handgunners in support behind them.  My men and I will follow next, and the Estalians should have found a way to elbow their way into the bloodshed by then."  Averrob's fires (along with the devastation from the Estalian artillery) were illuminating the city now that sunset was past, and Arathos did not like night fighting, but he could not wait for sunrise.  Reinforcements had to be coming, and coming fast.  Arathos did not want to risk a two-sided fight, particularly after a sleepless night.  "Let's get the men moving, Frederick.  We don't have much time"
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Padre

• Big Small Worlds
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
Now this is out of synch, I know, but in an arty, flashback kind of way. The following thread is about events a couple of weeks before the events depicted in Uryens last post re: Mortensholm. You guys are just too fast for my schedule ... but I am sure you won't mind if I cover some events from recent history. This way (if I can arrange it) I can get a game in soon and do an illustrated battle report.

If it doesn't confuse me, a humble man of limited capacities, then I am sure that you all will be entirely unfazed by such 'prequel-esque' shenanigans.

Mortensholm, (early to mid spring) IC2524

Captain Vincent made his way as quickly as he could. Twice he was almost torn from the saddle by tree branches, but he cared not and clung on, for he had to get word to Graf Edric as soon as possible. As well as escape his pursuers.

Three lancers, heavily armoured (which was fortunate for the much more lightly armoured Vincent) were on his trail. This meant that Vincent could not travel directly to the column, but had to swing out in a great arc, and thus in doing so when he lost the lancers (which he was bound to do) they would be left heading somewhere other than towards the Graf’s army. His trail would become harder to follow anyway, for here the trees were thinning and rockier ground predominated, almost barren apart from some hardy grasses and lichens.

The best part of an hour later his work was done: the lancers left far behind and confused, while he finally reached  the army of Mortensholm.

The first fellow he met was young Josef Schaap, leading the Pistoliers in their capacity as outriders.

“Ho, Vincent,” Josef shouted, the way he always did.

Vincent answered hastily. “Well met! But no time to speak, I must know where the Graf is – I have urgent news.”

“Then friend, I will take you to him.”

Leaving the company of pistoliers behind, the two officers galloped off into the heart of the marching army. When they found Graf Edric, riding his rouncey while his destrier was walked by his side by a squire, Vincent reigned in his exhausted horse and spoke hurriedly,

“My Lord, an army besets Mortensholm. It is worse than you feared, for they have taken the town itself and now besiege the keep.”

Graf Edric’s brow furrowed deep as he asked,

“Is it Don Matthias?”

“Aye, my Lord, and he has almost the entire Black Company with him. They outnumber us perhaps two to one, maybe even more.”

There was a moment’s silence, for none knew what to say. While they had been chasing goblin bandits and orc raiders, the home they thought to protect by doing so was being attacked.

The Graf glanced at the officers there about him, and addressed them,

“We must attack. The odds might be against us, but we have no choice. There is no other honourable course. Besides, if Myrmidia blesses us, as she had done on many occasions before, then we shall have surprise upon our side, and the enemy will not be arrayed for battle.

“What say you? Are you with me?”

All present lent their voice to the cry,

“Aye, we’re with you.”

The Graf once again allowed a moment of silence, and then began his instructions,

“We shall advance, but array the column such that it can promptly form into line of battle. And order all musicians to be silent, there shall be no drums or horns – all commands and signals must be given by the ensigns. Send the huntsmen forward, and tell them to conceal themselves well. I want no clues as of our advance to be given unto the enemy. Any enemy scouts we meet must be killed, quickly and quietly. No handgunners are to discharge their pieces, though they can flash their pans if it is daylight and they are beneath the trees …”

So begin the long list of instructions.

The army of Mortensholm was indeed coming home, but the real fight was yet to begin.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Woah I have loads of replying to do.

Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The enemy were indeed a strong force, they outnumbered the Black Company, plus the host of ogres.

Matthias strolled down to his saddled horse and his waiting bodyguard of lancers. He was bedecked in his ceremonial suit of armour, something he did on very rare occasions, he much preferred the plain, battle-hardened one he had used for years. But today warranted the ceremonial piece. A troop of the enemy, under the flag of parlay had ridden to the town about an hour ago and were waiting outside the walls, Matthias waited the customary hour before riding out and greeting them.

The lead rider, obviously an officer, because of the expensive armour and good quality boots raised a hand in greeting. He announced his rank and his commanders before speaking out the terms. Matthias sat his horse silently, listening to the words of Lord de Crux.

He chuckled when the Captain mentioned bandits and thieves. "My dear Captain Jamie, you call me a bandit and a thief? I guess that is true. Under Imperial law, a thief is to be hanged, no?"

The captain greed.

"Yet if you steal a country, they call you a king. And that is what I am, Matthias I, Ninth King of Karoly. This land is mine by right of force. You belittle the art of war by calling it banditry. Go back to your lord and tell him to send his men back north where they belong. This war is nothing to do with them."

The enemy swordsmen were massing for a charge across the square. Thomas, his helm and armour dented, his sword blunted by work kneeled on a mound of rubble, his arm raised high. With a great cry, the footsoldiers charged forward, a rolling tide of steel towards the defenders. Thomas waited for the right moment, trying to gauge the right moment to let loose.

The time came.

The air in-front of the captain became filled with missiles, steel tipped, armour piercing crossbow bolts hissed from their strings. Punching the front rank from their feet. Yet with determination the enemy kept coming, jumping over their fallen comrades. Thomas slashed down his arm once again, with a thunderous roar, the cannon boomed, spreading nails, stones, lead balls, broken crossbow bolts and bits of rubble into the tightly packed enemy soldiers, ripping men apart, tearing limbs from bodies, disintegrating armour and ending men's lives in a wave of blood and metal.

Thomas nodded to his sergeants, the crossbows gave one whistling volley before Thomas and his men retreated, the screams of the enemy ringing in their ears. Their positions the other side of the bridge should be able to hold them, the enemy would be cut down whilst charging the narrow crossing. The reinforcements were but hours away now, marching through the night as fast as they could. In the morning the enemy would see Thomas' swelled ranks and have to offer terms.

Baron Pfeifraucher's Camp, Border Princes IC 2524

Sergeant Macks shouted out his orders. Men went dashing this way and that, following the booming voice of the man, packing up tents, loading wagons and readying their battle gear.

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
(( "Thomas' reply would have been 'Nuts',"))
((WEEEEWWWWTTT!   WAAAAGH! Hell yeah, a WWII Reference... Battle of the Bulge baby!))
Yup, Bastogne, Yank 101st Airbourne

Offline Toro_Blanco

« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
Arathos blinked, the devastation shocking him.  His enemy was well prepared indeed, but that did not deter him.  This battle was not over until it was over.  He stuffed the notice brought to him mid-combat in his belt pouch, and nodded to Frederick, who bellowed out the order to charge.  As Thomas and his men withdrew to their defenses, they heard the thunder of heavy cavalry and the sound of the greatswords charging behind them.  The Dawnstriders were determined to take the city before reinforcements arrived, and if they failed they would at least place Thomas in as ugly a position as possible.

Offline Uryens de Crux

« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
Mortensholm, Border Princes IC2524

Captain Jamie rode back to the rest of the army with a heavy heart, he was a soldier by trade, and proud of being the Barons standard bearer, but the battle to come would be bloody, and both sides would lose men, needlessly, so far as he could see.

There was no shame in quitting the town in the face of such a large column as the one he rode back to, but no, this self styled king would play the petty tyrant to the last, and the Baron would be angry in his wrath indeed.

Yes, the battle to come would be most bloody indeed.

By the time Jamie returned, Uryens de Crux was arrayed in his full harness, looking every inch like a general of the empire, sat on a stool looking at a map of the town in front of them.

“Well Jamie, are we going to have to hang the buggers?”

“Sir, it seems this is a territorial dispute between the Graf, who we know well and Matthius, 9th King of Karoly”

“Where in Myrmidia’s name is Karoly? Never mind.”

“CAPTAIN JOOST” shouted Uryens, looking around for his captain of horse. “Ah, take a message to Agrabod, ask him to move his army south to attack along the trade road into the town, tell him that’s the best place to find the enemy baggage”

“Now then Jamie, join the greatswords colour guard and unfurl the colours again, we will assault this town and drive off this man who would be king.”

Within half an hour the force of Ogres was moving to the south of Mortensholm, and the artillery train of the Grand Army of Solland was taking ranging shots on what remained of the walls of Mortensholm.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

Thomas turned to see heavy cavalry and foot knights charging at his retreating crossbowmen. These elite troops must have been held in reserve and thus were not in disarray from the volley fire. The unarmoured crossbowmen were defenseless, running for their lives to the bridge. Thomas started to run back, he had to save his men. His personal guard of armoured halberdiers following their Captain loyally. The crossbowmen were being slaughtered ind roves by the knights and greatswords, their bodies became a grisly trail from their positions in the square down to road to the bridge.

Thomas and his halberdiers charged forward, using their heavy weapons against the horses' heads and chests, spilling the riders to the floor to be hacked to death. The Dawnstriders and newly arrives Estalians fought back with a vengeance, cutting down a score of halberdiers until there were but twelve left, forming a ring around Thomas, now holding his banner defiantly. They were surrounded on all sides, the remaining Black Company were stuck the other side of the bridge, the Town was lost. There was no sign of the reinforcements.

The Enemy generals pushed their way tot he front of the crowd, facing the defiant Halberdiers.

Mortensholm, Border Princes IC 2524

The enemy cannon had started pounding the walls of Mortensholm. But the Black Company were not there. The Don and his army had retreated several miles south to a low range of hills to form their battle line.

Under his command, Don Matthias had three thousand tough veterans, well equipped with a professional regiment commanders well used to warfare. Alongside the Black Company, there were the local levy of some thousand militia crossbow and levy pikemen, Cavalry units were on the flanks, both professional mercenaries and local nobles. It was indeed a glorious force, decked out in their black armour and tabards, their pike points glinting in the sun. The flag of the Kingdom of Karoly, Sable with gules bars and the Don's personal heraldry of a raven in black and white ermine, flew above Matthias' favoured unit, La Resplendente the men of the regiment proudly standing next to their master.

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
Matorea, South Central Border Princes, IC 2524

Luitpold reined in his horse at the gatehouse, shouting up to the sentry. "Take me to the Princess, I have urgent business with her majesty!" The sentry nodded and strolled off to report to his commander.

Luitpold stood with his lancers, dust staining their black and red cloaks, their horses lathered with sweat from the hard ride south. The journey had been fairly uneventful since seeing the horsemen, they had stayed in a village for a night, though left early in the morning, the inhabitants were wary of the horsemen, mistaking them fro their new lords, the Bretonnians.

Offline Toro_Blanco

« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
Arathos hacked his way through the halberdiers along with his standard bearer and his bodyguard, the three of them protected by the stout greatswords around them.  Frederick and his cavalry had ripped through the fleeing crossbows, but had stopped their pursuit when the enemy had sent a unit across the bridge to harass them.  The halberdiers' charge had surprised Arathos a second time, but his men were winning the day.  As he made his way to the front of his unit, he could see the man in bold armor in the center of the meagre dozen men that surrounded him.  This must clearly be the general, and Arathos signaled for his men to halt their attack.  Cavalry and infantry formed a ring around the enemy general's protective ring, and Arathos called out to him.
     "Worthy foe, you have defended this town well, and have given us one hell of a battle.  Surrender, and you and your men will be taken peacefully."

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Face Book
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
   Donixote, charged on his horse straight through the mess of men till he reached the ring of Halberdiers, he grunted and pulled back on his horse's reins to prevent the beast from dismounting its rider. Speaking in Estalian, he turned to his men and quickly shouted orders. At once men shouted orders up and down the giant entanglement of men. Donixote turned back to Arathos, the look of blood lust still danceing on his eyes, he stared only for a few moments before he grinned a merry smile. Faceing the defeated ring of soldiers, he smirked. "Surrender your arms, pigs..."

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2009, 03:04:08 PM »
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

"I see that I am undone. Before I give up my men and myself, I would like to know where your army will go after this." Thomas looked to his veteran halberdiers, who nodded to their Captain. "I must also inform you that there are reinforcements but a couple of hours away, a large army. Your men will not break through the bridge in that time, the few remaining men I have will hold it to the last, even after I am dead." Thomas held his standard tightly. "My terms of surrender are that I and my men, as well as any citizens of Moslac that wish to, are to be allowed to march back to Domzale as free men. I must also tell you that my brother is but a week away with the entire army, some five thousand men."

Thomas looked at the snarling Estalian. "Sir, I am talking to the lion, a cub should know when to speak and when to be silent!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:09:54 PM by Inarticulate »

Offline Uryens de Crux

« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
Mortenholm IC2524

The Grand Army of Solland advanced on the town, two deep phalanx of heavy pike, flanked by handgunners, halberdiers and swordsmen, ahead of them the pistoleers and duellists, the cannons pounded a hole in the wall, but there was nothing to aim at, by the time the army had reached Mortensholm it was clear the enemy had withdrawn and only the defensive perimiter of the Wusterburg Halberdiers stopped the Ogres looting the whole town.

Eventually though, they were appeased with more ale and wine and pursuaded to camp outside the town while the Baron of Wusterburg went to speak to the survivors holed up in the keep.

(hey guys, can you put a header at the top of your post to say where you are posing about, cheers)

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Face Book
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
   Donixote smirked at the man's comment. "I will let you know, swine, It was my cannon that bombared your laughable defenses.... and it will be my handgunners who will put you down!"
  The orders that were shouted earlier were carried out finally, the handgunners pulled forward from the mess of men, at the ready and loaded.

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
Moslac, Border Princes, IC 2524

The Halberdiers closed their ring around their lord as the handgunner execution line came to bare.
Thomas raised the standard defiantly.

Offline Toro_Blanco

« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2009, 03:12:30 PM »
The Town of Moslac, Main Square

"Calm yourself, my good man."  Arathos looked to Donixote, not wanting the hot-headed Estalian to kill this most valuable prisoner of war.  "There are men across the bridge that need your rifles more than these."  He then turned his attention to Thomas Vitec.  "I will accept most of your terms, but you must be taken prisoner.  I will allow the remainder of your men, and any civilians that wish to join them, to march back to Domzale."

Offline Inarticulate

« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
Moslac, Town Square, IC 2524

Thomas nodded his head. "So be it." Thomas passed his standard to one of his guards, then marched up to the General, drew his sword and reversed it, offering the hilt to the man. "I would want to know your intentions and the reason you attacked my town."