home

Author Topic: Empire for Beginners  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
    • http://www.warhammer-empire.com
Empire for Beginners
« on: June 17, 2003, 06:44:02 PM »
There have been a couple of requests for information regarding starting a new Empire army.  Please put your suggestions in this portion of the forum.  

I would start first by reading "Empire on the Cheap" in the Hobby section of the website.  This is a good guide for creating an effective army for very little funds.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Vincent of Vega

Empire for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 07:17:51 PM »
Detachments.

In my year and a half of playing with an Empire army it's my detachments which cause the opposition the most problems.  I suggest any beginner should start using them as soon as possible.  The advent of negating your oppositions rank bonus and getting a +1 flank attack yourselves is a massive help to some otherwise average troops.

The positioning is crucial and will improve with experience and although I hate to say it they are pretty expendable, don't worry about sacrificing them to draw off an enemy charge or simply to buy you some time, remember they aren't going to cause anyone to panic!
..Alex

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
    • http://www.warhammer-empire.com
Empire for Beginners
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 08:18:34 PM »
I'm glad you said something about detachments Vincient of Vega!  Just finished posting an excellent article on detachments in the War Room.  

The article is, "The Top 10 Things To Do With An Empire Detachment"

Kudos to Jewells for writing and illustrating such an excellent article.

atch
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Zack

Empire for Beginners
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 04:45:24 AM »
I think I could be of some help. After I gather my 2000pt. Army and Do a "Lean to play" at Nexus, my nearest Rogue Trader, then I could write a short article about the pratfalls of beginning an Empire army.