home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667826 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
I can pick some up for you at Salute, and give them to you at the Eurobash if you like ............  :closed-eyes:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
I would like to have it protocolled that a certain moderator threatened to hand me my gravestone should I dare to come to the Eurobash.

(Thanks a lot! But I'll try Maelstrom, since I have moneyback to spend there anyway.)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »

I think I have discovered what they are.       Perrys

They do some Armenians in the Crusades range, and I had only looked at the Crusades - Muslim Armies

I cannot be 100% as I definitely have:

CU31 Armenian Archers

and I suspect I have:

CU30 - Armenian Infantry Command
and
2 of CU32 - Armenian Armoured Militia Spearmen Defending

......... but unfortunately they don't have pics on their website.

I would like to say how much I appreciate everyone's help with this and it is so pleasing to have finally been able to identify these nice minis ..........  :engel:

Now I just need to do some historical digging to find why these Armenians are listed with the crusaders rather than the arab forces, and I do notice that all these figures tend to have manly beards ...............
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:43:26 PM by Midaski »

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #503 on: March 27, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
The Armenians involved are those of the Armenian kingdom in Asia Minor, those armenians the turks get so upset about when you mention them cause they tried their best to genocide them.

They were the Armenian kingdom of Cilicia and were allied with the crusaders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Armenia
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:02:00 AM by Mathi Alfblut »
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #504 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
Thanks Mathi

I knew it would be you ...............   :engel:

I found a mention of Armenians in "Byzantium - Beyond the Golden Gate" in the description of the formation and use of Ghulams as a sort of standing army.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
I actually have those Armenian archers!

But your picture was rubbish, so I didn't recognise them.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
Felix strikes again. And this time with a whole unit!

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63

Hey Fandir, that's a better present for your wife than a bunch of flowers which you have to throw away after a couple of days. Just saying. :icon_cool:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »

Although I don't deny Felix's sculpting skills, I just don't care for the style of any of the AoW figures. They have all of the characteristics of my least favorite GW figures: over the top "heroic" proportions & equipment and cluttered with details. Looking at the photo of the unit, I can barely see the dwarfs behind all the axes, hair, etc.

I am probably in the minority, as most WFB players seem to worship AoW like they are the pinnacle of fantasy miniatures. But I've never really cared for most of their figures.  ::heretic::

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Felix strikes again. And this time with a whole unit!

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63

Hey Fandir, that's a better present for your wife than a bunch of flowers which you have to throw away after a couple of days. Just saying. :icon_cool:

Wow, this guy is getting better and better. I'm definetely ordering this dwarven unit, and his witchhunter and the new marauder........and....a lot of his stuff really.

We can all feel very lucky he isn't working for GW, in this way we can buy his unique minis for a reasonable price. AoW is one of the best mini companies at this moment really. And the company is located in EU, which is good for the shipping cost.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:19:07 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #509 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:49 PM »
Yes I agree with 023 - can sculpt, but too 'heroic'

I actually got interested when I saw the box artwork at the top, and then scrolled down and the regiment picture just looks horrendous - ranking a unit up will need a degree in maths and engineering.  :engel:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #510 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
Slayers should be skirmishers

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #511 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Slayers should be skirmishers

They should be like fanatics but more reliable... wade into a unit/monster, cause a whole lot of casualties before dying their own glorious death.  :wink:

We can all feel very lucky he isn't working for GW, in this way we can buy his unique minis for a reasonable price.

:?

They are selling their infantry hero figures for $13-$20 each. $35 for a mounted hero. (At least that's prices here in the US.) That's at least as much, if not more than, the equivalent GW figures.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Although I don't deny Felix's sculpting skills, I just don't care for the style of any of the AoW figures. They have all of the characteristics of my least favorite GW figures: over the top "heroic" proportions & equipment and cluttered with details. Looking at the photo of the unit, I can barely see the dwarfs behind all the axes, hair, etc.

I am probably in the minority, as most WFB players seem to worship AoW like they are the pinnacle of fantasy miniatures. But I've never really cared for most of their figures. 

I guess you could say that Felix is the pinnacle of GW style, even though he doesn't work for GW...

I see what you mean, and there's definitely some truth in it. I still like most of what he does though.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #513 on: March 29, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
I agree with zero23. I don't like the avatar of war stuff.

Still, didn't that guy make this dwarf lord for GW?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440054a&prodId=prod780848

Awesomely understated.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #514 on: March 29, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »
I like the AOW miniatures as well. Some of them are overblown and a bit daft but I love the fat Goblin, the Ogre, the Barbarian and the Witch Hunter. The AOW models are certainly no more silly than the GW range.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #515 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
I'm not saying that no one else can't like the AoW figures. They're just no my preferred style.

I guess you could say that Felix is the pinnacle of GW style, even though he doesn't work for GW...

Maybe. Or at least pinnacle of the current GW style.

I liked it when the Perry brothers and Jes Goodwin were the pinnacle of GW style. I think their work is a large part of the reason I still play Empire and Skaven. (The same could probably be said of Kev Adams, back when I had an all-gobbo army, too.)

The AOW models are certainly no more silly than the GW range.

Yes, well some of us think many of the figures in the GW range have got a bit silly too.  :wink:

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #516 on: March 29, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
Maybe. Or at least pinnacle of the current GW style.

I liked it when the Perry brothers and Jes Goodwin were the pinnacle of GW style. I think their work is a large part of the reason I still play Empire and Skaven. (The same could probably be said of Kev Adams, back when I had an all-gobbo army, too.)

I wholeheartedly agree.  Though the odd thing about Kev Adams Gobbos and Orcs, his sculpts actually get a little worse into the early 90's and beyond.  They went from the being wildly varied to a sort of plain fat headed look, especially his Orcs.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #517 on: March 29, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
I agree with that. They started to look really stiffly posed, too. I like his older stuff better than many of the figures he's done more recently, too. He had so much life & character in those old sculpts.

Didn't he do the Foundry orcs/gobbos? The big mercenary orcs (are they calling them ogres now?) were great, but some of the other stuff was a bit bland. Again, similar stiff poses, etc. on those other (also later) figures.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #518 on: March 29, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
Yeah he did the Foundry stuff.   

Back in the day I blamed the change on GW trying to standardize Orcs into a uniform look (which I didn't like).  I had actually assumed at the time it was a different sculptor. It appears it may have been just as much to do with Kev Adams refining his sculpts into a uniform look leading to his "smiley guys" phase according to his fansite blog. unfortunately he seems to have have stuck with his "smiley guys" look which is unfortunate IMO.

http://kevadamschallenge.blogspot.com/search/label/Warhammer

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #519 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »
My hood is my castle...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #520 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
Nice
- and I see Pirates on the horizon .......

In the meantime Fandir has found a present for his beloved .......

:engel:

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #521 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
I have spotted them too. Sadly, Kulturkommisariatet, the swedish netstore that have brought in some have only taken post-apocalypse and victorian style ones. But those post-apocalypse makes for some nice additions to my Sisters of Battles witch hunter friends.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #522 on: March 31, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #524 on: April 15, 2011, 02:21:30 AM »
The AoW dwarfs aren't to my liking, and the art work looks much different than the sculpts.

However, the one Rufus shows on the GW site, that's one cool looking dwarf!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra