home

Author Topic: Northumbrian 'Fighting 5th' Talabeclanders  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Firey Baps

• Quo Fata Vocant
Northumbrian 'Fighting 5th' Talabeclanders
« on: April 12, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
As I may of mentioned, I eventually got back into the hobby after a three year hiatus, a couple of friends of mine are enjoying a Tale of 3 Gamers, and though progress has been more than slow (missed a month already) we are very much enjoying our return to this wonderfully expensive game. My army is loosely painted around the Redcoat era of the British army (18th-19th Century) but apart from names and a few whatnots, it will of course have all manner of unlikely things within. So its about time I made one of these. Finally got a camera and some brief sunlight. I have to say my camera really kicks my painting in the face. It looked so smooth before but the camera makes every little poor brush stroke horribly clear. Anyways, while I wait for the pictures to load. A little background...

Sound returns with a sickening roar. The clash of metal on metal, the thundering blast of the Northumbrian artillery that briefly drowns out the gutteral screams of the Greenskin invaders and the brave yells of his comrades. With a start, Captain 'Monty' Forthwright snaps upright, and pulls his hammer from the mud. His head blares with pain and blood streams from the socket where his left eye was. Shaking his head to clear his vision, he takes in the progressing battle around him. The Great Cannons atop the hill send off another volley, massive gouts of clod and flesh are sent flying into the air as the balls smash into the thick ranks of Orcs. With a heavy thud,thud,thud, the Helblaster Volley Gun adds to the carnage, ripping up a score of enterprising Goblinoids who were trying to flank the artillery position. A trumpet sounds the charge of the Knightly Order, and they lower their lances and brutally smash into the flanks of the heavily armoured Black Orcs. The barded horses screech in fear at the fanged creatures ahead of them, but they continue to plough their way through the ranks, the lances of their riders thudding into flesh. The handgunners on the plateau wait until the Orcish warriors ahead of them come into range. The pall of smoke across the battlefield briefly obscures the Captain's view, but the breeze that shifts it shows the remaining few Orcs break out into a run, only to be brought down by the Pistoliers along the left flank. Right in the center of it all, the Halberdier regiment is attacked on all sides by all manner of foul creatures, and with a pray to Sigmar on his lips, the Captain rushes off to join the fight.

And so without further ado, here are the promised pictures:

The first 10 of the Halberdiers

Second Rank

A 'spirited' fighter

The strange things you find on the Brettonian sprue

The front rank and command group

Still not entirely sure what to put on the banner, apart from perhaps a massive 5 and some laurels

The drummer, painted with his coat in the colour of the regiment's facings

Monty and his stupidly large hammer

Well, that's all for now folks! Enjoy, (Comments and a tiny amount of criticsm is welcome!  :-) )
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Valetus

Re: Northumbrian 'Fighting 5th' Talabeclanders
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
Like the little conversions. In terms of painting, I can't be sure what yellow you are using but if you are not already, definately get one of the base coat yellows. These save so much time and effort trying to get paint coverage. You could also try using a wash (either black or a bit of brown or both) on your metals. Easy way to get results. Other than that certainly do the bases and repost the pictures, a completed model always looks overall better. Like the extra work you put in on the hammer man's face.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
love the Northumbrian theme.

Just a thought but I would advise adding more water to the paint, thinner coats will help you no end.
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Having the white not juts be a highlight but go with the red and yellow colors of Talabecland seems ot have come out ok.

Like how the guy drinking is still holding his hand the way he is on the halberd.  Looks like he's tryign to catch a quick sip after the group has been given their last order to prepare arms.  Also like the pistol in the standard bearer's hand.

I'm wiht chummley on the use of thinning donw your paints, and this will improve the oevrall look of your work.  Adding some water will make the paint more difficult to control, and a bit tricky to get adjusted to, but with the flow being thinner it will give a more even look to the surface of the figures.  Hope that's helpful.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Hendrid

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
Pretty good so far, but definately with Mr Chumley Warner on maybe thinning the paints a bit. Would make a big difference.

Offline Firey Baps

• Quo Fata Vocant
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys! Going to get round to painting a Dwarf 'swordsman' detachment soon.

What with us not having the best set of paints around, I think the yellow is from the LotR beginners set with the Goblins. It was the deepest yellow I could find and I quite like it, it took a little bit of experimenting as the other yellows we have are Bad Moon and Golden. With the next month we will buy the paints we need, although I have been washing faces and armour. The pictures certainly do not show it as well as I would of liked, but I assume the blue background has washed it out a bit.

Updates possibly soon!
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.