home

Author Topic: First post and first Empire units painted  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Essexkiwi

First post and first Empire units painted
« on: April 27, 2011, 06:49:01 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time O&G player now starting into Empire after scoring a very cheap painted army in Altdorf colours a wee while ago for my younger son to play with.   As he's a tad young to paint an army himself the repainting of the existing army and adding new stuff is down to me, although Ryan helps me with simpler stuff like basecoating to get his hand in with the brush.

So far he's undecided on the colours & flavour of the army and hedging between Altdorf, Reikland or Middenheim, so to keep it cohesive I've stuck with Altdorf colours for the war machines I've added.   If he goes for red or blue rather than both it'll be a quick job to paint over one or the other! 

Enough waffle.. here's the first units I've bought which are a selection of war machines as the army we bought surprisingly didn't have any.
All were 2nd hand models so were given a stripping and minor tweaking here and there (why does it seem I always but from people who don't bother removing mould lines.. :icon_rolleyes:) then repainted and based.  Apologies that the pics are a bit dark, hope you like 'em anyway!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: First post and first Empire units painted
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:56:40 AM »
Looks splendid!!

I might add this to the painting blogs in the sticky if you do keep this thread to post your sons army here further (might want to update the thread title then), so let me know!

If it then does change from Altdorf to something else, after I listed it, then just post a note in the sticky thread.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Zak

• Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
i agree looks very good!  :::cheers:::
This is how Liberty dies, by the sound of thundering applause.

Offline NewGuy

• Unrepentant DoW player
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:52:02 PM »
Lucky kid.  :-)
I've dumped the plans of using Bretonnians. They suck.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
All were 2nd hand models so were given a stripping and minor tweaking here and there (why does it seem I always but from people who don't bother removing mould lines.. :icon_rolleyes:) then repainted and based.  Apologies that the pics are a bit dark, hope you like 'em anyway!

That's because most people who are willing to sell their miniatures aren't typically the kind of people who are willing to put the work into making them look good. People who put the work into their miniatures are less willing to sell.

Aa for your paint jobs, excellent work! I'm doing something similar for my son's Lizardmen. He's helping do the base coats and I'm doing the detail work.

Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Kirgan

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
Like it  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Porkix

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »
Very nice gritty style.

Your blue is splendid but your red seems more "flat". Do you have difficulties to highlight it?

Porkix

Offline Claus79

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:23:14 AM »
Looks good :) keep it up.

Claus

Offline Essexkiwi

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »
Your blue is splendid but your red seems more "flat". Do you have difficulties to highlight it?Porkix
The red does look a bit brighter with better lighting but you're right it doesn't pop much.  I've been finishing it with a red wash which I think is dulling it down a bit too much.  I can live with duller colours on the crew (I'll blame it on the smoke and soot :icon_wink:) but think I'll use the wash prior to the final highlight on the troops.

Cheers for the replies guys.  And yes I'll add to the thread as I get units done but a warning - with my painting speed and the fact that I'm still painting more orcs and gobbo's to my other army as well any 'blog' might be stretched out over a year or two!

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
Don't worry, I've been working on my army for over two years now. I only just got 2,000 points of painted miniatures at the beginning of this year! My plog hasn't been updated in a while, which reminds me that I need to get some new pictures soon.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Porkix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »

The red does look a bit brighter with better lighting but you're right it doesn't pop much.  I've been finishing it with a red wash which I think is dulling it down a bit too much.  I can live with duller colours on the crew (I'll blame it on the smoke and soot :icon_wink:) but think I'll use the wash prior to the final highlight on the troops.

That sounds like a good idea, I will be glad to see the result.

Porkix