home

Author Topic: Starting 40k Planetery Defense theme  (Read 14722 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Starting 40k Planetery Defense theme
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 12:19:58 AM »
I like it! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
Well unfortunately despite the large population there appears to be no LGS's in the Orange County area and GW has a pretty good stranglehold on gaming in these parts.

So I went over to the L.A. Battle Bunker which is just 10 minutes away (oddly no where near L.A.) to play a few test games and get a feel for how strict they are on the no non-GW policy.  Well they're pretty strict, I was hoping I could use my converted models such as the light Sentinel posted earlier but supposedly I can't. 

Well anyways I love the idea of sentinels so I guess I'll have to put me together a few that are bit more GW-kosher in case I want to play a few games at the Battle Bunker (at least until I find a good gaming club).  I'm not paying 30 bucks for one of the GW Sentinels off the shelf.  Fortunately ebay pulled through for me and I stumbled on the Chaos Defiler parts.  For under 20 bucks and with some ingenuity I'll have two sentinels.

Well the first one is put together and ready for some paint.  It turned out quite large, a mega Sentinel really but I still like it.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
I like that!

It reminds me of the thing from Robocop.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 11:00:51 AM »
ED-209
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
That thing is pretty cool.

I sometimes think GW goes too far, but then again I don't want to play against someone whose Avatar is just Duke from GI Joe holding He-Man's sword.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 01:15:30 AM »
I sometimes think GW goes too far, but then again I don't want to play against someone whose Avatar is just Duke from GI Joe holding He-Man's sword.

Yeah Duke would make a totally lame Avatar, you'd have to use one of the fruitier characters like Zartan or Raptor.

I'm using Lady Jaye with a Voltron shield as my other armored Sentinel.

But seriously a lot of the old GI Joe vehicles especially the weird Cobra stuff make for awesome 40k vehicles.  I plan on using this old Cobra Imp(?) as a Chimera after some light conversion work and paint job.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2012, 01:35:13 AM »
I find it hilarious that you had Lady Jayne and Voltron's shield just lying about waiting for that picture. Are you and PhillyT in cahoots? :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2012, 02:20:06 AM »
You would think!

If you covered that Cobra thing with enough bitz, wouldn't that satisfy them?
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »
I find it hilarious that you had Lady Jayne and Voltron's shield just lying about waiting for that picture. Are you and PhillyT in cahoots? :)

A few years back when they released the 25th anniversary addition GI Joe series I kind of went ape shit, I probably dropped a grand on that stuff.  I didn't have a kid yet and too much time on my hands.

Fortunately they released that crappy movie which buzz killed the whole thing for me. I'm feeling pretty stupid for falling into their marketing scheme.  I'm just waiting for the next movie to release then I'll ebay off the remainder of the stuff when the public's interest is peeked and hopefully get my money back.  Needless to say I have a few loose GI Joes around the house.

I had actually thought about digging up a He-Man sword but that stuff is probably too well buried in my old attic. 

If you covered that Cobra thing with enough bitz, wouldn't that satisfy them?

You'd think so but no not according to the guy I talked too. 

I thought I had read somewhere they considered stuff that was not meant for gaming and converted properly to be OK for GW tournaments and therefore ok for store games. I guess that doesn't apply to the LA battle bunker.  He's telling me all models in use have to be 90% GW.  If what this guy is telling me is true I'd think it be particularly inhibiting for Ork players, I've seen a lot nicely converted Ork trukks from Tonka toys.

Of course this is just what one black shirt told me so its probably meaningless and wont stop me from trying.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2012, 05:50:08 AM »
well I'm pretty sure for any kind of event or tournement it does need to be 90% GW but I've had armies that were entirely coverted from random things and other manufacturers and because it looked good no one complained. it all depends on who you play with.
I say do it anyway haha it looks awesome
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 07:07:48 AM »
well I'm pretty sure for any kind of event or tournement it does need to be 90% GW but I've had armies that were entirely coverted from random things and other manufacturers and because it looked good no one complained. it all depends on who you play with.

You mean any kind of GW run event or tournament.  I've been to plenty of independent tournaments with no such restrictions.  Sadly the independent scene appears to be severely lacking here in Cali.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

You mean any kind of GW run event or tournament.  I've been to plenty of independent tournaments with no such restrictions.  Sadly the independent scene appears to be severely lacking here in Cali.
Yeah that's what I mean sorry :blush:  I know I you feel I live in the hills east of The bay area in California. We only get Inde tournaments Maybe once a year i think and I rarely have the ability to show up.
― Thomas Paine

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:18 AM »
Finished painting the armored mega sentinel, now on to building the next one.  Sorry for the bad pics, I think its time for a new camera.

EDIT 3/7  I re-took a picture in daylight.  Looks a little better I guess.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:55:18 PM by orcyboy »

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 04:21:49 AM »
Great Job! how much bigger is your mega sentinel compared to the GW kit?
― Thomas Paine

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:19 AM »
Great Job! how much bigger is your mega sentinel compared to the GW kit?
I'm not sure really, maybe twice the height.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Could probably even use that as a Russ, its so big!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
If you add some bits to that cobra chimera I definitely reckon you would get away with using it.

That mega sentinel is amazing!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
Could probably even use that as a Russ, its so big!
Thats not a half bad idea. I might just do that.

Though I do have a couple walker type Leman Russ tanks on the back burner.  Old Robotech Defenders models; Commando and Sand Stalker (originally they were called Tequila Gunner and Desert Gunner under the Dougram line). Commando's un-built, the Sand Stalker is in bad shape and has had its turret replaced with a Merkava turret.

I also have these guys I'll dress up as Leman Russ's.  They already look suspiciously similar to the Leman Russ I just need to dig up a turret for one and figure how to get the side sponsons to move.  This is a project way down the line though.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 02:12:51 AM »
That extra large sentinel walker looks good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra