home

Author Topic: Hoodling's Empire  (Read 115495 times)

Offline Hoodling

Hoodling's Empire
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
Well, I have resisted creating a painting log on here until now, however I just committed to the 2012 painting challenge and feel I need to be able to post my progress somewhere. So here we go.

Background
I have been playing forever, however I've always considered myself a gamer first and a hobbyist second. I've recently been putting more effort into my armies, but that still doesn't make me think of myself as a painter. My standard approach is quantity over quality, and with a backlog like mine I'm not sure you could ever really look at it any other way. I also don't particularly enjoy painting - I like having it painted and I like knowing I did it myself, but the process itself holds little joy for me.

I only really started painting Empire last year, when I decided it was time to lift the army from an unused, unpainted state. To that end I proclaimed it the Year of the Empire and set about using only Empire in tournaments, and focusing my painting efforts exclusively on them. I've never taken that approach before, but it yielded results. Most of what you see below was painted in 2011.

The whole army - around 6000 points at this point.

Halberdiers

Handgunners and Crossbowmen

Knights Snow Leopard

Converted Kislev Kossars

Leopold's Leopard Company (Spearmen)

Pistoliers and Outriders

Regular Knights (many of them using Voland's Venators)

Steam Tank

Teutogen Guard (Greatswords)

White Wolf Knights

A few Wizards

My general, "the Doggy". And yes, that counts as a Warhorse. Poor thing.

Right then, that's where things are currently up to. There are various progress shots etc on my blog (linked in my sig), as well as a couple of battle reports and some tournament reports that accumulated over the course of the year.

Going Forward
The army is nowhere near finished. I expect to have perhaps 4 regiments of Halberdiers, some Swordsmen, regular Greatswords, more Knights, more missile troops, artillery, characters, etc. And yes, I already have all the models. My quest will be to get as many of them done as I can, as quickly as possible. I'd like to have many of them done by about Easter, when we have tentatively planned a very, very large game.

One of the big hurdles for me (and also something that keeps me excited about this army) are the unit fillers. I've become obsessed with the idea of including 3 Ogres in each unit, dressed and equipped the same as the regular troops. My plans evolved when I discovered Instant Mold, and I have been working on and off on that since then. My only completed examples are below:

Halberdier Ogre (to match the old 4th single-pose guys.) The first I built, before I knew about Instant Mold

Kossar Ogre - this guy was done later, and I copied most of his components so I can make more

And the production line as it currently stands...

Right, so these unit fillers are likely to be the bane of my existence. But if they don't kill me, they will hopefully make the army a bit more interesting. I have committed to painting 40 Swordsmen (including 3 Ogre fillers), a Volley Gun and a mage before the end of January. Let the logging begin...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:50:31 PM by Hoodling »

Offline Hoodling

Re: Hoodling's Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
Can anyone confirm if those images worked? They look fine on this PC, but my work one doesn't show them...

Offline cjp

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
Thats a lot of purple and steel; nice comprehensive look to them. :)

Offline sirolf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:39 AM »
Lovely army!!!

Offline KarlvonAbiheim

• More beards, more pointy hats
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:24 AM »

I agree - bright, clean and cohesive.

I particularly like your take on the Knights Panther, and the Leopard company (headswaps, furs and unit filler - time and effort that has paid off).

And who doesn't love a general on a giant wolf! Where's it from, by the way - or did you make it?!
Im Himmel gibt's kein bier, d'rum trinken wir es hier

Offline Orcslayer

• I salute you
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
Great stuff! I enjoyed the knights of the white wolf most of all  :eusa_clap:
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline Hoodling

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:54 AM »
Thanks guys.

The wolf is from the Space Wolf character, Canis Wolfborn or whatever he's called. In fact, most of the model is. Had I realised the guy was one piece with the wolf when I ordered it online, I might have reconsidered my plans to turn him into an empire character. Cutting/hacking/filing his space marine legs, helmet and grenades off was "fun".

And yeah, it's a lot of purple. I'm actually starting to wonder if there is a point where I should not paint units in the same scheme. How large can the army be without drawing troops from other provinces? If it gets too big, it might need some allies from other areas just to make the army look like the grand alliance it probably represents. Just something that's playing on my mind nowadays...

Offline Von Ulrich

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:46:43 AM »
Wow!

They look really sharp.

My troops are ostermark (yellow purple) I was wondering what you used for your purple?

Offline Hoodling

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
I've pre-mixed a couple of highlight shades for Liche Purple and put them into empty paint pots. The GW range has a glaring omission in terms of a highlight colour for purple. I just mixed some Liche Purple with Skull White as the main highlight, then made another extreme highlight colour with some extra white. It really saves a lot of heartache.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »
For being someone who doesn't particularly like painting, you sure have done a lot of of it and to a high standard as well! I like painting and I've been working on my army since about February of 2009. I've only gota about 2,200 points finsihed. You've done triple what I've done and done it in about a third of the time. I wouldn't worry about that aspect if I were you! Great job. I took the same approach as you did with my Empire. I made a pact to paint 2,000 points before I move on to another army. I could actually move on now, but I have about another 2,000 points I want to get finished first. Once I'm done with that, one to my son's Lizardmen and my Tomb Kings most likely.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Imperial Liberal
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »
Great looking stuff! :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline DariusZero

• I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:37 AM »
Nicely painted, and you even don't like it.  :wink:

Good to see some of the 4ed heroes here and the converions, like that Dogy are spectacular. But can you please straighten the sword of  the
Icequeen.  :wink:

I'm curious about the copy process, what stuff do you use, is it Fimo?
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »
He said the product is Instant Mold. Look it up, it's easy to find and use.

Edit: Oh wait you are talking about the stuff he used to fill the molds. My bad. I'll just back away from the keyboard now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:58:06 PM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Zak

• Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Dude, you have a great lookin Army!!
This is how Liberty dies, by the sound of thundering applause.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
I'm not surprised at your comments re painting, you must have iron dedication to paint that volume in one colour scheme !

They look really good.

Especially the Kislev Kossars!

Please share your conversion methods.
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
What model is the rider of the giant wolf? He looks very interesting!

Offline Alleton

• I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
What model is the rider of the giant wolf? He looks very interesting!

Thanks guys.

The wolf is from the Space Wolf character, Canis Wolfborn or whatever he's called. In fact, most of the model is. Had I realised the guy was one piece with the wolf when I ordered it online, I might have reconsidered my plans to turn him into an empire character. Cutting/hacking/filing his space marine legs, helmet and grenades off was "fun".

And yeah, it's a lot of purple. I'm actually starting to wonder if there is a point where I should not paint units in the same scheme. How large can the army be without drawing troops from other provinces? If it gets too big, it might need some allies from other areas just to make the army look like the grand alliance it probably represents. Just something that's playing on my mind nowadays...

answered :P
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline DariusZero

• I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
He said the product is Instant Mold. Look it up, it's easy to find and use.

Edit: Oh wait you are talking about the stuff he used to fill the molds. My bad. I'll just back away from the keyboard now.

You just saved me a long line of explaining,  :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Hoodling

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
Thanks all.

@JackofTalabecland: Yeah, as has already been mentioned, most of the rider is in fact Canis Wolfborn. I had to green stuff some cloak over where his space marine backpack went, cut off his legs and replace them with plastic knight legs, and give him plastic knight arms in place of the lightning claws he came with. I think the pointing finger comes from the plastic high elf archer box. And the axe is made out of an abused piece of modular movement tray, stuck on the end of a knight banner pole with a bit of green stuff.

@DariusZero: At the moment I am using 2 different types of putty. Obviously there is green stuff. The other one I use (the white stuff) is Magic Sculp(t). Don't ask me what the deal is with the T on the end. I found it on ebay and it's apparently designed for ceramic repairs. It seems to behave a lot like clay - adding water to it makes it soft and smooth, to the point of reducing it almost to a paste if you overdo it. And it gets everywhere - all over your hands, tools etc. But it dries in the air, and dries harder than green stuff. I've found I can carve into it once it's fully hardened, although it can crumble a bit if I don't compress it hard enough in the mould. In terms of using it with Instant Mold, the main thing to watch for is that it doesn't come out as cleanly as green stuff - you leave traces around the edges and stuff. Nothing wrong with the actual components you're copying, but it can make a bit of a mess and mean you need to be careful to get it off the Instant Mold before throwing it back into boiling water and re-using it...

@Mr Chumley Warner: The Kislev conversions were actually a friend's idea, so I supplied the bits and let him work out his inspiration. They're built from Bretonnians - archers, men-at-arms and even some old single-pose 5th edition archers. The heads come from all over the place - various Empire kits and some Marauder horsemen. There are a lot of Dwarf axes in there, and plenty of Goblin bows and quivers. You can find more details of the process here: http://hoodlinghole.blogspot.com/2011/09/project-kislev-ii.html.

As for the general thing about not enjoying painting, I don't hate it. I just get no particular enjoyment from it, and I think that what enthusiasm I may have had when I was younger got kicked out of me by accumulating far, far too many unpainted models. It means I feel like I can't lavish attention on any models because it's time wasted that could be spent getting more stuff done. Let this be a lesson to anyone who decides it's a good idea to buy everything they might ever want, before painting much of it...

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is almost here! : )
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
That army looks great! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
Let this be a lesson to anyone who decides it's a good idea to buy everything they might ever want, before painting much of it...

Well have you been peeking in my games room .....................  :engel:

Actually that is so true and my excuse from now on .......... you didn't teach me the lesson until I was far too old and had accumulated far too many minis.

Anyway you are being a bit too modest - you have a bright interesting army and the painting is certainly good tabletop from what I can see, and the excellent 'additions' and conversions enhance it even more.

I love the Kossars and they make my modest furry topped boots and much less generous fur hats look like your guys poor relations.

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline steveb

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
nice. steveb

Offline Kirgan

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »
 :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Maza

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Nice army! I like the ogre tribute to the old halberdiers very much. :eusa_clap:

As for the general thing about not enjoying painting, I don't hate it. I just get no particular enjoyment from it, and I think that what enthusiasm I may have had when I was younger got kicked out of me by accumulating far, far too many unpainted models. It means I feel like I can't lavish attention on any models because it's time wasted that could be spent getting more stuff done.

It is terrible when a hobby that is supposed to be fun start to feel like some kind of moral obligation! After a long rest from the hobby, I started painting again about 1.5 years ago. This time around, I actually try to paint the stuff I have before I buy something new. It is hard, and sometimes I am weak... But overall I'm actually doing pretty OK. :-)

Offline Von Ulrich

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
So true about the painting procrastination, I should be painting right this moment but im feeding my 3 month old a bottle, dont think I can paint with one hand esp when she kicks me!