home

Author Topic: Sherberts Averland  (Read 36676 times)

Offline sherbert

Sherberts Averland
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »
Hey guys, I have a long time lurker but I thought I would post some pics of my stuff. I have been working on and off on my empire for awhile now and am finally getting close to getting the majority done.

The fluff for the army is that a vampire has fled south from Sylvannia into northern Averland. The region that he fled to was covered in vineyards belonging to the "league of the vine". After several months of killing the workers of the vineyards and building a host, the league decided to organize an army to deal with the undead because it was cutting into their profits. Many of the units have been raised at the expense of members of the league and some units have been raised by the province of Averland. Many witch hunters and vampire hunters have been recruited to help with the hunt and a contingent of Nuln handgunners and artillery have been hired. I wanted to paint the army like it had been on the march for awhile, chasing the vampire host across northern Averland and that it has taken so long that winter is fast approaching.

The first unit is the "Ostrikers Iron Hearts". House Ostriker has been a memeber of the league for generations and has created the Iron Hearts to fight at the center of the Empire column.

The second unit is a unit of 30 flagellants.

Sorry for the bad picks, the light is really weird in my room so I had to use the flash. I will try and play around to see if I can get some better lighting.

C&C welcome

Offline sherbert

Re: Sherberts Averland
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:35:00 AM »
sorry for the double post.
This is all stuff that I have done in the past.
Unit of Averland Handgunners

Unit of hired Nuln Handgunners

Averland Cannon

Hired Nuln mortar

Second Averland Cannon

Averland Hellfire volley gun

Von Jagers Halberdiers

close up of banner

State swordsmen led by hired vampire hunter. (banner will say Averheim)

Averland outriders

Averland pistoliers

Jade wizard

fire wizard (I could make a better model, but I love this guy and had to use him in my army)

and finally a stock warrior priest

thats it for the fully finished stuff.

Offline sherbert

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
and last post for a little while.  :biggriin:
the work in progress stuff.
first off is the templar grand master of a unit of 13 inner circle knights of the blazing sun.

I havnt come up with a name for this guy yet. Also im thinking of putting some sort of sun symbol on his helmet but I havnt found anything that would work.
Next up is the mounted warrior priest of Myrmidia. Since this is a unit of knights of the blazing sun, and its the province of Averland I thought it fitting to use Myrmidia instead of Sigmar.

Eventually I hope to have a warrior priest for every major god in the empire.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the rest of my wizards, they are all done except for the bases.

C&C welcome.

Offline nuttunen

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »
Good stuff  :::cheers::: interesting bases ! Have you checked out the Blazing Suns "pimp my knight" set from GW?
Check out my painting-log C&C is plenty appreciated!

Offline PapaZonka

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:08:32 AM »
Cool.

Offline steveb

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
it all looks very good.  On your hellblaster, looking at it from the front, I would paint the insides of the gun barrels black, and the shield down below, then I would paint the comet yellow, I think that would give it just that little touch of Averland and look even just a little bit better.  thanks for sharing and keep posting. steveb

Offline Alarick

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
Nice job! They look great and I like the sun in the banner...

Offline sherbert

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
thanks for the comments guys.

Steveb- thats a good idea, the problem is that every time I use the hellblaster, it explodes without doing much, so it has mostly stayed in my case while my other artillery pieces get a chance to blow themselves up. :biggriin:

I recently finished the bases of the rest of my wizards.
first up is my gold wizard

next up is amber

Amethyst

light

celestial

and grey

Thats it for now, I recently put together a unit of crossbowmen and huntsmen but I think ill wait to post pics until their painted so it might be a couple of weeks because school started yesterday.

Offline Alleton

• I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:44:20 AM »
I'm seeing so many great conversions of the wizard kit to Grey wizards.

Kinda makes me wish I needed one, But I have a multitude of the old metals.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Fandir Nightshade

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
Awesome sauce and quiet a lot of it...the only thing I donīt dig are the camoflage bases.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Imperial Liberal
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:32 AM »
Good stuff! :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Just on question, Sherbert...where's the feathered bit on the Myrmidia horse from?
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
love that gold wizard
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline daftpunky

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
I really love what you're doing with this army!! It has very good painting, good basing and great conversions that add theme and flavour!! Well done sir!!
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline JensDk

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
Really interesting "theme" for the amber wizard, he comes off a lot more agressive than most I've seen. Thats pretty cool - he also seems a bit punk-ish or atleast younger and virile. Very nature-y =)

Offline Orcslayer

• I salute you
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
I wasn't sure about your basing scheme at first, but now I'm really starting to dig it. Cheers to your good work!
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline sherbert

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
thanks for the comments.
Albrecht- I am not entirely sure where those came from. maybe from either a high elf kit or dark angels kit. I know someone gave them to me when I was making the model.

Orcslayer- to tell you the truth im not crazy about the bases myself. I wanted to try something very different from what I had done in the past when I started the army. Ive done way to much to go back and change it sadly.

So I said i would post painted stuff, but its been raining since ive returned to my house for school (stupid washington) so ill just post pics of what I have been working on. At this point I am just adding units so that I can have one of everything for my army. The only units I have yet to finish are the knights, and characters.

first up is a unit of Averland Crossbowmen

next up is a unit of Stirland huntsmen.

and the last thing I have for now is a unit of 5 mercenary swordsmen with great weapons. These guys are not done yet, I need to add some greenstuff to them to fill gaps and add some more flavor.

again thanks for all the comments, its always nice to know your work is appreciated. Now hopefully the sun will come out and the wind will go away so I can prime.

Offline wilddragon

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:10 AM »
I like the banners you have and your wizards awesome stuff.

Offline sherbert

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »
hey guys, I was recently able to get my Stirland archers done. Unfortunately I dont know how often I will use them with the new rules.

C&C welcome

Offline jakehunter52

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Sherbert!

Lol, I had actually found this site just a bit ago but hadn't been coming here often. But hey, you're Averlanders are looking great. Idk if you've read the Sword of Justice/Vengence duo but it gave me a great appreciation for the Avelanders and also the Leitdorf. You're always amazing me with your customization and paint schemes..... :happy: I'll have to post some stuff on here too....it's too bad that i'm kinda speed painting and not able to get as much detail on there as i want but i think they are turning out good. But hey man, good to see your work again!

Offline Spjuth

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Lovely army sir!

Specillay the Grand Master, can't wait to see him painted!

:::cheers:::

Offline sherbert

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »
thanks again for the comments.
So now that the new book is out and I have taken a look at it, I know I will not be using my swordsmen, flaggys, handgunners, and archers. That means that I will not be using 100 painted and based models, which means that my army went from almost done, to not even halfway. :icon_cry: This means that I will only build or paint things that i know I will use for awhile.
I have become more busy with life and school which has kept me away from the painting table, but I found enough time to paint my myrmidian war priest on horse.

She took a lot longer than I thought she would but oh well. The next thing that I will be working on is a unit of three demigryphs, no conversions but I have a feeling that they will take a while to finish.

C&C welcome as always

Offline sherbert

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
no comments  :-(
oh well, while waiting for the demigryph knights to dry and what not I picked up working on my bsb. I have been working on and off and this guy for a while now, the main reason being that his legs are from the general kit and I wanted to make them look like they were walking instead of rigidly standing. I think I am finally done with him.

Im hoping to get the knights done in around a week or so but school is picking up a bit so well see.

C&C welcome

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Sorry for not commenting - I lookeed at the Warrior Priestess and she is a lovely model, very well-painted.

Liking the standard-bearer too!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Dosiere

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
Love it.  Your painted banners look great, wish I could paint detail that well.

Offline Maza

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
Yes, I agree, I think you have a talent for freehand painting!

A lot of other interesting stuff to look at too. Great halfling archers, for example - what a pity if you don't use them on the TT! I wouldn't worry too much about the new rules. To some extent, success is also about learning how to use a unit and finding useful stuff for it to do. That is my experience at least. But I play friendly games only.  :-)