home

Author Topic: Ads Middenheim plog - Update 18/1/2013  (Read 9308 times)

Offline Ads

Ads Middenheim plog - Update 18/1/2013
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
Greetings gents (and ladies)

My name is Adrian from Australia and I have been a long time lurker of the forum for the past year or so. I was looking at collecting an Empire army when I joined the forum a year or so ago but decided to wait for the new book. Anyway since then due to reading some Empire novels my motivation as taken off and I am building and taking my new army to a tournament on 20th October! And I intend to have it fully painted so I don't lose any of those pesky painting points and plus a fully painted army looks awesome.

Anywho on to the building and painting of the army. I'm not the best painter in the world and I aim more for a quick and decent look on the tabletop. What better way for this than dipping! Or rather painting on the dip. I started the log for two reasons, one to keep up some motivation which I guess shouldn't be too hard as I have a set deadline of 6 weeks and the second so people can see the results of an entire Empire army done with dip.

Now the colour scheme I have chosen is Middenheim. I like the fluff around this City State and there will be several wolfish additions to the army. I also love the colour blue, and white portions will be easier with white undercoat. Now you must think holy crap a full army in 6 weeks however progress started a weeks ago with the obtaining of models for the army and painting started 2 weeks ago. The bulk lot of 40 halberdiers are base coated waiting for dipping along with a steam tank. I will be taking some before and after photos for you so you can see the transition. Basing will largely be done towards the end in one go and when I get my materials for basing in the next week or so.

So on to some photos of what I have completed at this stage. In this first photo I am aware of the mold lines however I thought I'd gotten most of them but obviously not. This guy was a test model for the scheme and I quite like it. I prefer the dirty, gritty of the white as I think armies on campaign wont be keeping their white shirt, pristine clean. Second it saves time. With the white on the models, the undercoat doesn't quite get everywhere so I give it a quick paint with some white.

The halberds in my army are Gamezone halberds. I really dislike the current state troops, I'm more of a puff and slash guy and also prefer these halberds over the GW ones. I'll provide a before and after of the rest of the halberds when I do them. Eyes I'll do at a later stage with a mircon pen.

Next up is a hellblaster and crew. I don't have a before and after of these but from all models from now on I will

These are before shots of my stank, and Ill put up the finished result when dipped. I got the idea of how to paint my stank from chumley's beautifully painted one. I didn't want the stank to be a mostly metal colour.

So that's all I have at the moment, I plan on doing regular updates. Stay tuned

Also a quick note about models that appear to be shiney, It's a result from the dip and when based all models will be hit with some matte varnish for a final seal and to get rid of the shine.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:14:32 AM by Ads »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Ads Middenheim plog - An exercise in dipping
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »
Dipping is always interesting to see. I will be taking notes for my next army! :) Looking good so far.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Timbor

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:17:53 AM »
Nice work so far!  What will you be using for a dip?  'Official' army-painter type dips, or the good ol' wood stain version?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Ads

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »
Timbor - I am using the army painter dip and of the 3 shades I am using the darkest one which is called 'Dark Tone'

A bit of a note on dipping. Army painters method is where you dip it into the dip and then you whip lash the excess off by swinging your arm. I am not using this method for 2 reasons. 1. I think its a waste of some dip and 2. You need a big area and obviously don't mind having the excess dip sprayed onto the ground or anything nearby.

I use the brush on method. I have 2 crappy large-ish brushes bought cheaply from a 2 dollar shop. Holding the miniature upside down I use one brush to paint the dip on in big strokes. After I've applied I use the other smaller brush to remove the excess where it has pooled. It's kind of touch dry in a few hours but taking 24hrs to be fully set/dry. I usually come back to the models about an hour or so after I've applied it to check if it's pooled anywhere else on the models after allowing to sit for awhile. If it has, it's usually a bit gooey by then, and I use a toothpick to pick up the excess bit.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
Welcome Adrian!

I haven't tried dipping but I have strongly considered it!

I also love the Gamezone Halberdiers, and painted 25 ish of them in my PLOG in Yellow and Purple.

Your HBVG looks best

Keep going!
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Ads

Ads Middenheim plog - An exercise in dipping
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
Chumley with how fast and good you crank them out there is no need for you to dip!

Yeah I really like the game one halberds although they are a bit more expensive. However I did buy my 40 of them when they had their 40% off sale for 10 years.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
A point 3) against the lashing method is - no joke - injured elbows! A friend of mine on another forum did a large army (40K) via the dip and shake method, and with the quick flicks out he injured his tendon or something in his elbow. Had to be in a sling!

I like the brush on method - it gives a very good result. I have used a variation of this method for several models, but using a wash instead. Paint basic colors and give an overall wash of an ink or shade. I have a Bright College Knight which I painted reds and yellows and bronzes and browns and then washed the whole thing with some browny-red ink. Then, it is just a question of the details. I did an Altdorf army like that when I was working at GW; white undercoat, paint the flesh, the red portions of the uniform, brown leather and some yellow details, wash the whole thing with the old Flesh Wash. Then, paint the blue with Ultramarines Blue and wash with blue ink, paint the metal with a 50/50 mix of black and boltgun and . . . done!

Offline Ads

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
haha Darknight, sounds like he should have warmed up first.

There is definitely some speedy techniques that give good results, just look at chumleys stuff, he's perfected the wash and hairdryer method excellently

Offline Ads

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
So quick update. No painting done the last few days but I have been taking care of assembling. Put together my mounted general/grand master, a bsb and a wizard. Also cleaned up some knights I bought already assembled and undercoated and did some head swaps. Half finished putting together a unit of 5 pistoliers.

Tomorrow will be a big day as I'll have heaps of NFL to watch while getting my hobby on. More updates to come

Offline Henerius

• not Henry
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 08:05:46 PM »
I really like your painting style :eusa_clap: and I miss something on the halberd. :icon_wink:
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Ads

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
So update time,

Been pretty busy with work however have managed to get some stuff done. Here is a pic of all my halberds base coated ready for dipping. My muso is the greatsword muso as Gamezone don't have a musician model. My standard bearer will either be the gryphon BSB model or the BSB model in the background of the knights from the general kit. I like both and want to use both plus I didn't order the gamezone one.

And here is my unit of 10 IC Knights I've basecoated ready for dipping, just need to add the shields before dipping. ON that note anyone got any ideas what I should do for the banner? Im fresh out at this stage. With my Knights I didn't want the all metallic look. The shields will not be white/blue to balance it out.

I've also finished assembling my pistoliers ready for undercoating and im half done assembling my demigryph knights

Offline steveb

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
the 40k heads are a nice touch, reminds me of vikings, so maybe a black raven on a white background would be appropriate, of course the hair would have to be blond/yellow.  look up common viking banners, the raven is simple and striking.  steveb

Offline Fandir Nightshade

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
Looks great.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I was going to ask how you did the dirty white on your guys. But from what I can tell is dipping basically the same as doing a wash?
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
It is similar, and there are different ways. "Traditional" dipping is done with some kind of fairly thick, dark woodstain. The model is literally dipped in the stain and then the excess flicked or spun off. This can be very messy, however - so many people like to brush on a woodstain.

The other option is to use a wash or a special dipping mix which is brushed on. You can get very nice results with inks and washes, but the classic dip involves a woodstain and uses the thickness of the medium deliberately.

Offline Ads

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »
Peacemaker: Yeah Darkknight is spot on. The dipping is using a woodstain (i use the army painter dark tone stuff) to effectively wash the whole model. As he said normally it involves dipping the model in to it and flicking the whole model to get the excess off however it is very messy. I simply use a crappy brush I bought for it and paint small amounts on. I also have another brush to remove where it 'pools' too much and where I don't want it. Allows greater control and it's not as messy or wasteful of the stain. 1 container of the army painter stuff is good for at least 200-250+ models.

As to the white, it is simply white undercoat, touched up with some vallejo dead white (you can use skull white) where the undercoat didn't get a nice even coat, and the dipping adds the rest.

Anyway small update, last night I started dipping the halberds, got through about 11 of them. Here's a close up pic of some of them including champ and muso, they got a bit more attention as they are command models, eg white and blue is alternating etc. So as I said in a previous post, I come back to the models after about an hour or 2 to check the model for more 'pooling' of the dip, and remove/adjust if necessary. By this stage it's a bit sludgey as its dried a little, however will take a good 12-24 hours to dry fully. They do look shiney and that's from the dip, once based they will be sealed with a matte varnish

Offline beno1440

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
May I suggest that you add any static grass and other fibrous basing materials after you seal them/varnish them, assuming you're gonna hit them with a rattle-can spray-on finish. Although its only a small potential, and not massively obvious, spray-on varnish can clog in grass clumps and leave milky beads on the strands. Sometimes!

Wouldn't want to mess up what looks like it's gonna be a pretty solid looking army. So far its looking good!

Offline Ads

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
thanks for the tip beno, ill varnish them before i put them on bases.

Offline Ads

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
So bit of time between updates but I don't like to post unless I got pics to go with it! So construction wise, I have built my cannon and crew and finished assembling my demigryphs so they are both ready for priming now. Only items left for assembly are 20 archers and an engineer. Don't forget I'm aiming to have this army done by the 20th october! Time is going quick. Anywho onto photos of stuff.

I have finished my steam tank complete with dip and base and also my horde of 40 halberds. Below is some pics, they have been hit with some matt varnish which has taken some of the shine off from the dip. I think they turned out quite well. The space in the middle of the halberds is for the standard bearer which I havent finished yet. The blue looks a bit more flat than they do in person

Offline PeytonS

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:28 AM »
Oh dip!  How long did your steam tank take?  It looks very nice!

Cheers

Peyton

Offline Ads

Ads Middenheim plog - An exercise in dipping
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:15 AM »
The steam tank was pretty quick. Base coats were done in about 2-3 hours one night while watching a movie. Applying dip took about 10 minutes and base took no time at all

I'm really happy with how it turned out. On my 10 IC knights I have the shields left to paint and then they will be ready for dip.

Offline Ads

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
So smallish update, my knights are finished and dipped just got to do bases before I post some pics and my cannon is base coated awaiting dip. I also finished some characters. Firstly i finished my standard bearer for the halberd unit. You'll notice it is the generals kit bsb model. Im using a different one for my bsb so here's a photo with the halberd unit complete with full command, the missing space is for a character to go there, I had to rank them up quite specifically when I glued them to their bases so each has a place.

Next up, is an updated shot of my hellblaster as they have now been based and varnished with some matte varnish.

Here is my wizard lord

and warrior priest! I love this model

Now I still got a few units to get done by the 20th October, time is running out and will be close! My characters will all get suitably more customised bases after the tourney, just aiming to get everything painted and based. By the 20th October expect to have pics of 5 pistols, 5 outriders, 20 archers, the IC knights and the demigryphs! oo and a cannon, TGM and BSB. So much to do...probably shouldnt have sat around playing guild wars 2 for 4-5 hours today, oops.

Offline Ads

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 06:13:38 AM »
So been a few months since the last update, However I have plenty of photos! After a xmas break I got back into the modelling.

Now at the start of this log I said I wanted it done by 20th Oct 2012 for a tournament. Now I got every model in my 2400 pts done except for the unit of outriders and an engineer. The only basing done was just some texture sand on the bases and drybrushed, no grass. So in the last week or so I have been touching up the units one by one getting the bases and trays 100% completed. On to the pictures! Some of these have been shown before however have no been completed 100% by the addition of flock and grass etc. I have some room on the archer trays for some additional scenery/terrain anyone got any ideas? Cheers!

Re: Ads Middenheim plog - Update 18/1/2013
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
A middenheim plog?! Must watch!

Offline Zjivago

Re: Ads Middenheim plog - Update 18/1/2013
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
Looks very nice as an army, dipping at its best
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0