home

Author Topic: (Semi-)practical solution to the gallery question  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
(Semi-)practical solution to the gallery question
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
www.DeviantArt.com

That is a website where artists (amateur and professional) can post pics (and stories, but mostly pics) of art. Many people have galleries of miniatures.

Here is my suggestion; we open a "Warhammer-Empire" account there, and a small committee of "Gallery Docents" (or some such term) who alone have access to the username and password for that account. They are responsible for seeing something on the forum, saying "That's cool!", writing to the owner of the model and getting permission to post the image on the "Warhammer-Empire" DeviantArt page, with suitable attributation in the description (something like "This model painted by MrChumleyWarner" and a link to his plog or whatever).

DeviantArt has nice features like the ability to create "Collections" and individual images can belong to multiple collections, so one could have DemiGryphs, Reikland and ChumleyWarner as collections (for example) and a single image of a Reikland DemiGryph by Chum could be in all three collections.

DeviantArt does have the option to create groups, where multiple people can post images to it, but those seem a little more designed for a community of artists to amass a collection, rather than a single, cohesive, selected gallery to be formed.

Obviously, this is a merely technical solution - the difficulties of i) finding persons to run it and ii) making the decisions about what to include and what not to include are not solved by this. But, there is a technical solution here.

I would be willing to serve as a Docent for the gallery, but I am no great painter from a technical standpoint, and my selections might be more arbitrary than others'.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline PhillyT

• The Old Ones
  • Watching... always watching...
Re: (Semi-)practical solution to the gallery question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
Really not a bad idea.  The constant issue we run into is that the gallery function takes a huge amount of space.  Our current system of linked images in blogs works in a pinch, but we can't create a permanent museum of sorts to truly celebrate our accomplishments.  HAving the images hosted locally gives us control over their fate.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »
DeviantArt is pretty reliable - I've never heard of images going missing.

And, the issue of hosting images "locally" is one which might be solved by the Docents spending a wee bit of coin (like, a few bucks) and just archiving things on CD-ROM. I'd be happy to do that - I can get CDs really cheaply (basically nowt) from work. A CD will hold a lot of images.

If something did happen to DeviantArt, we could look for another solution, but the images would not be lost.

Offline PhillyT

• The Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »
And, the issue of hosting images "locally" is one which might be solved by the Docents spending a wee bit of coin (like, a few bucks) and just archiving things on CD-ROM. I'd be happy to do that - I can get CDs really cheaply (basically nowt) from work. A CD will hold a lot of images.

GASP, don't admit to stealing office supplies on the forum!  Don't you work for the church?!?!

As for DeviantArt, I am not so much concerned about them going down, they have a far more robust system than us.  I simply meant having it local makes it easier for us to control content and keeps things "native" so to speak. 

But I will get a discussion going on the admin board and we can see about this option.  Thank you as always!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:14 PM »
GASP, don't admit to stealing office supplies on the forum!  Don't you work for the church?!?!

Basically nowt :) We order a lot of 'em and get economies of scale going. It's like 20c a disk or less. Pennies.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
    • My home Forum (dutch)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
Wouldn't a photobucket account achiev the same thing ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »
It allows for storage, yes - but I think there are bandwidth limits. DeviantArt has no such thing.

DeviantArt is, however, a site with a lot of other tools - the collection ability, the ability for others to comment on the figures (that is, those OUTSIDE the site), and it is a site where people go specifically to see cool art. So, it could function as a promotion of what we do - it is a much more public gallery than we would otherwise have.

Offline PhillyT

• The Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
If you don't have a paid account, photobucket shuts off the files pretty quick.  You have a very limited number of views per month.

Bugman says that local hosting will be expensive, which is why we haven't done it yet!  There are a couple options being discussed, but the Deviant Art option seems tempting at this point.

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
    • My Photobucket Ostermark Page
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

Basically nowt :) We order a lot of 'em and get economies of scale going. It's like 20c a disk or less. Pennies.

Embezzling is embezzling no matter how little value the property has... :evil:

It allows for storage, yes - but I think there are bandwidth limits. DeviantArt has no such thing.

DeviantArt is, however, a site with a lot of other tools - the collection ability, the ability for others to comment on the figures (that is, those OUTSIDE the site), and it is a site where people go specifically to see cool art. So, it could function as a promotion of what we do - it is a much more public gallery than we would otherwise have.

DeviantArt definitely sounds like a good idea. In order to get unlimited Photobucket will cost someone some money to purchase an upgrade on a Photobucket account. The free account is limited in the number of images the account can hold and the amount of bandwidth usage per month. Not a good option.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »
Embezzling is embezzling no matter how little value the property has... :evil:

I realize this is a joke etc. but - to clarify .... :)

I said I can get them for virtually nowt - they cost us 20c and so I could drop a $1 down and get five.

Offline PhillyT

• The Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
Your secret is safe with me.

Offline patsy02

• Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
The downside with Deviantart is that it's got a pretty bad UI. The functions are otherwise quite useful though.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.